BlueCross BlueShield is a renowned health insurance provider. With BlueCross BlueShield, customers can have access to great member resources. Customers can also purchase dental and vision coverage.

View BlueCross BlueShield Reviews

BlueCross BlueShield is also a parent company of other health insurance companies that provide BlueCross BlueShield health insurance in specific regions and states. BlueCross BlueShield companies include Anthem, CareFirst, Regence, Wellmark, Highmark, Capital, Empire, Independence, Horizon, and Premera.

It oversees 36 different insurance companies, all of which are locally operated. As a nationwide company in the health insurance marketplace, BlueCross BlueShield has helped millions of people with health insurance plans since its founding in 1929.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service
  • Availability and Acceptance

Types of Plans Offered

BlueCross BlueShield insurance plans are available nationwide and widely accepted at hospitals and doctor's offices.

Coverage options range in every type-from a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) to Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). These plan-types indicate the kind of provider network available with the health plan. PPO plans generally offer coverage for seeing out-of-network providers, though the coverage levels are not as high as for in-network providers. HMO plans only offer out-of-network coverage in emergency situations.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers plans with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs), and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). BlueCross BlueShield also offers indemnity, Point of Service (POS), and short-term health insurance plan.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers Medicare and Medicaid plans. Its Medicare plans include Medicare Supplement plans (Medigap), Part D (prescription drug plans), and Medicare Advantage plans. Medicare Advantage plans offer the coverage of Medicare Parts A and B in a single health plan. To qualify for Medicare, individuals generally must be at least 65 years old.

The coverage and details of each of these plans depends partially on your health situation (including age, number of group being insured, health status, etc.) and your location. When you initially search for a health plan to understand the benefits and costs of monthly payments, expect to put in your location and some personal information, as these points will help BlueCross BlueShield draw up a list of potential plans for you.

In addition to health care coverage options, the some BlueCross BlueShield Plan offerings include dental insurance plans and vision insurance. Dental plans and vision plans may also vary by location, so it's important to work with the subsidiary in your area to get specific information. Those looking for vision or dental coverage can find good policies through BlueCross BlueShield.

As you evaluate your health insurance options, keep your health needs and budget in mind. The amount you pay for a health plan is not limited to the monthly premiums. In addition to considering the cost of premiums, you should also consider how expensive the out-of-pocket expenses will be. Sometimes paying a higher premium will mean having cheaper out-of-pocket expenses (copays and coinsurance) or lower out-of-pocket maximums.

Member Resources

BlueCross BlueShield keeps up its positive reputation with members with both basic and advanced tools. Some of these tools are specific to each of its subsidiaries, and include customer service numbers and mobile apps.

Unique Features

BlueCross BlueShield's network of doctors and specialists is gigantic. BlueCross BlueShield insurance is accepted all over the United States. Because of the wide acceptance, it should be easy to find hospitals and doctors in-network. Treatment and other medical services you receive from these provides will be covered in part by this company.

Another unique feature of the Blue365 program. Through Blue365, members can receive discounts on all sorts of health-related products and services. Some discounts and deals change from time to time. Blue365 saves you money and provides added motivation for you to get and stay healthy. Not every BlueCross BlueShield subsidiary may participate in Blue365, so check with your subsidiary to see if it does.

The BlueCross BlueShield website is extremely detailed and full of resources for members and potential customers alike. For anyone who would benefit from it, it has general information about health care, health insurance, terminology, legal changes, and how all these factors affect people who need health insurance.

More specifically, though, through the website you can find answers to questions about actual health plans offered by BlueCross BlueShield. You can search for plans and get a quote, narrowing your search by location and the type of plan you're looking for.

BlueCross BlueShield answers frequently asked questions, have social media outlets to connect with clients more personally, and of course, provide mailing information for when you need to mail in a form or contact them via snail mail.

In short, BlueCross BlueShield takes lots of different steps to meet the needs of customers all over the US. It is available 24/7 to members and has set up its customer service tools to be convenient, immediate, and of course, helpful-even in the details.

Availability and Acceptance

BlueCross BlueShield is available in all 50 states, and is widely accepted by doctors and hospitals. Specific provider network access, however, does depend on the individual health plan.

Get Quote

The Bad

State-Specific Coverage

For better or worse, the coverage you receive through your health plan depends partially on the state you live in (the state in which you would use that insurance). In other words, you can't just look up a PPO plan at BlueCross BlueShield and expect the same coverage percentages, out-of-pocket costs, and deductibles for any state. The BlueCross BlueShield website will direct you to the company that serves your area before you can get information on plan options.

The Bottom Line

In many ways, it's not surprising that there are inconsistencies in health insurance plan details at BlueCross BlueShield. After all, the health insurer is large and works though several subsidiaries. It provides coverage nationwide, and has an extensive history and reputation.

Its growth has brought both positive and negative consequences. For example, it's positive that BlueCross BlueShield is accepted at such a high percentages of hospitals, doctors, and urgent care centers because it is a well-known brand in the health insurance marketplace. But on the other hand, the office you work with locally could be one of those with a poor reputation since BlueCross BlueShield doesn't micromanage each subsidiary.

It's important to make sure any health plan you choose offers the medical coverage you need and is affordable. The best health insurance plan for someone else may not necessarily be the best fit for your situation. Be sure to understand your health needs and what would fit into your budget. Choosing a reliable health insurer is also important. Reading health insurance reviews from customers can give you a sense of the general quality BlueCross BlueShield offers.

Long story short, BlueCross BlueShield is still a recommended health insurance option. There are some regional differences with BlueCross BlueShield companies, so interested people should work with the insurer directly to learn more about coverage, benefits, premium rates, deductible, and out-of-pocket limit available with each health plan.

Call our recommended rep over at BlueCross BlueShield below.

3.6

Evon Manwaring

May 13th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BCBS has been our healthcare provider for years we are happy with the service and doctors that are covered under the plan we have.

Reese

May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BlueCross BlueShield has been my insurance in the past and I think that their number one selling point is quality of service and care. They also have a plan that doesn't have a lot of out of pocket expense as most of the care is included in the plans. They have great customer service and the professionals that I worked with were very comprehensive in their exams and treatment.

Ashley

May 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had BlueCross BlueShield insurance since I was a small child living in Lexington Kentucky. I now live in Utah and carry the insurance. The benefits include discounts for things like Lasik, last minute travel club, hotels and resorts, fitness products, gym memberships and much more. I have enjoyed the stability of this insurance all my life and will recommend it highly.

Michael Snow

May 6th, 2019 Spring Creek, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My 10 yo boy was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I was informed by my insurance that his medication would be covered at 100% because it is a maintenance medication and he can't live without it. LIE. He is required to take shots before every meal, snack, too high, and a separate shot altogether at night to keep him somewhat balanced throughout the next day. not to mention the chaos of the BGL when he is sick. He is consistently having to stick himself to get a reading. We try to get a continues BGL monitor not just to help him but help my wife and I to keep our jobs when he is out for the summer from school (his school nurse is amazing). We got denied because they said that it is medically unnecessary. A unrelated surgery he had on his knees and had to get screws in place. They covered that surgery but then he had to get the screws removed and they wouldn't cover that surgery. My pregnant daughter 21 yo was having blood clotting issues in her lungs because we found out that she is protein C and S deficient. She had to continually take blood thinning shots in her belly. 3 times we had to admit her to the hospital because insurance would refuse to pay for her prescription. I have 3 other stories to add to this and this had all been in 2018-2019

Steve E.

April 28th, 2019 Evansville, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Darn! We got stuck with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan again. I checked their internet site and it said go ahead with the physicals for my wife and I at UW Health Hospital. Well we did get the physicals and also got a bill for a Couple of thousand dollars. When I called them and said their site said it was ok they said NO. You have to call them on the phone to get approved first. So be very careful and document anything you want done and I would call and get approved by at least 2 different people, get their names and have them email you the approval for doctor visit.

Amal Sweis

April 16th, 2019 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am with this company their customer service is excellent and they have offices that can be reached easily and you are welcomed when you get there, and they offer you coffee and water while you wait in a clean relaxing environment.

Matthew Driggs

April 12th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My company has used Blue Cross as its health insurance provider. They are good to work with but we haven't gone with them lately because of price. overall good experience just a little to expensive compared with our current company (Select Health)

Desiree

April 9th, 2019 Springfield, VT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the worst insurance me and my husband have ever had. With a high deductible of 10,000 and the only coverage that gets 100% without meeting the deductible is preventative. The reason i'm giving such a bad review is i learned that prenatal care is considered preventative. Blue Cross does not consider prenatal care preventive and will not cover one visit until we meet our $10,000 deductible. This does not include our premiums that my husband and i pay each month. There is no point in having this insurance when they cover nothing but a routine physical. i should just save the premium and put in into a health savings account. Blue Cross Blue Shield is the worst insurance company out there.

Lori Vanderkam

April 4th, 2019 Wayland, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Blue Cross for over ten years but will never use them again. In short, the use their ability to restrict coverage via their “investigational” terminology. I thought that our outrageous premiums provided protection but it does not. I hope and pray we go to a single payer system that minimizes this type of fraudulent behavior.

Steve Wayne Giles

March 26th, 2019 Macomb, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Too expensive i have bad asthma and sinus and allegries all my meds went up 2 to 3 time the cost. I cant afford them no more. Dont get it you wont be able get what you need.

Amanda Jordan

March 21st, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They made a mistake and billed my old policy, and cancelled my new policy. I've been paying every month and didn't find this out until I was sick with a fever of 103 trying to get in to see a doctor. They made it impossible for me to see a doctor because the billing office was already closed. They couldn't help me that day, but said they would call back the following day to figure it out. Two days later they call me back to tell me that they can't help me with my request, and that I would have to jump through hoops to fix their mistake on my end before I would be able to see a doctor. I had to pay out of pocket for a doctor and my medication because they canceled my insurance even though I had been paying monthly. Also, it tells you that it covers one thing (example:birth control 100% cover) when you are enrolling, but after you sign up, your coverage magically changes.

Antoine Bell

March 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Cross Blue Shield overly scrutinize prescription coverage to the point of nickeling and diming it's customers. They are very inconsistent when it comes to what is covered. You can have a prescription that is covered one month and the next month it's not. Moreover, their automated phone handling service for incoming customer calls is confusing and wastes a lot of time for it's customers which results in unhappy and frustrating customer call. For the amount of money we pay, we deserve better prescription coverage and better first impression phone handling.

Emily

March 7th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BCBS is the worst Health Insurance company I've ever experienced. 2 Knee surgeries in a year and they refused to pay for barely any physical therapy. I paid over 4000 dollars for REQUIRED physical therapy. They are extremely slow to follow up or don't call at all, and repeatedly gave me incorrect information of who I needed to contact to get appeal information.

WLF

February 22nd, 2019 Mebane, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Having ro change most of my Drs. as BCBS dropped Duke/Wake Med,had to argue multiple times to get necessary procedures covered one timw they pay the next they don't.They have lowered premiums but a procedure I had done in 2018 that cost me 1400 i now have to have on my other side one year later at same facility exact procedure on plan they said was comparable to my last year's which they no longer offer by the way is costing me over 2400 how is this comparable.I am so sick of this company NC insurance regulators need to do in depth audit of all this companies files .

Carl Reidemeister

February 19th, 2019 Old Lyme, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have never seen such a poorly run insurance company. In an effort to research my costs prior to seeing a dr, I was told by the dr that I could call my carrier to find out the cost for various ppt codes that they get paid by BCBS. I spent the better part of an hour on the phone with several reps who ran me thru the ringer and would not give me the info I needed. Not only is the premium amount crazy but the service is horrible. I would never recommend this company.

wayne sanders

February 12th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had Blue Cross for more than 20 years. the only reason we don't have them now is because my company switched providers. When we were with them there was never any issues regarding claims and everything was always taken care of promptly. I would recommend them to those looking for a good, no hassle health provider for families.

Robyn Peterson

February 12th, 2019 Woods Cross, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Bluecross Blueshield has been our insurance provider for years. They have always taken care of me and my family!

Nathan Hill

February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been using Blue Cross Blue Shield for about 3 years now and we really haven't liked the high deductible plan we have had or the coverage. We have a large family with a lot of expenses so it's hard to pay so much for our deductible. This insurance company hasn't covered things as well as some of our past providers. Our dealing with customer service has been fine though. It's also hard to have IHC Hospitals out of their network as we have needed to take our children to the hospital near us and not been able to.

marlene bennett

February 12th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Cross Blue Shield was the Health Insurance company when I worked in Granite School district. With a reasonable deductible and good premium I was always satisfied with their service

Helen Thompson

February 12th, 2019 Bountiful, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

we have been with Blue Cross Blue Shield for many years. during the many years we have been on their programs we have also checked out many other service carriers and always stayed with them. We love the doctors that will take our insurance. My husband is a retired doctor and has referred many of the doctors under this plan because he worked for them many years and felt they were very honest doctors and that the company did care about their clients.It is easy to talk to them in the billing department if there is ever a problem.

Cristiana

February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

That's my insurance company. Overall I do not have any complain about it. All the doctors I need I can schedule a consultation easily and I never had issues. Customer service is great, I had to call BlueCross 2 times and I had a good experience.

Brandie Rudy

February 12th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had BlueCross BlueShield insurance coverage off and on since I was in college. The coverage and customer service remain impeccable and I highly recommend them. They send monthly updates on my coverage along with my usage and any concerns. They are truly concerned with me and my family receiving the best medical available.

JAKE

February 8th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our favorite insurance we have had is Blue Cross Blue Shield. Their coverage of different things was very good. We also really liked their network of doctors and hospitals and urgent care facilities. It was very nice to know that they had such a wide range of coverage that was covered in network.

pamelaj

February 7th, 2019 Catoosa, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst of all they lie. I have been fighting them for 3 wks, my blood pressure med that I've been on for 12 yrs is no longer covered. They state, and this was on the form I received yesterday, that I have to have tried and failed 2 meds to get on the one I'm on. I DID! 12 yrs ago. When I called, they said that same thing, I said, I DID, well, then it turned into my doctor didn't send that info, THEY DID, then it turned into that I didn't try the ones THEY say I have to try, and it's not 2 but 3! I am sick and tired of the insurance companies deciding that they know more than the doctor. They will screw over and over, and when you point out what is in writing from them, THEY LIE! so now I have to start all over again, after 12 yrs. The fact that between myself and my employer pays over $800 a month, is robbery.

welyton paz

February 7th, 2019 Lynn, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

No, better alternatives at a fraction of the cost. Cancellation is impossible to make it happen after you get it.

Mackenzie Taylor

February 6th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Decent premiums and over all pretty good coverage. Large PPO network to choose your own provider.

Denna Collier

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I enjoy being able to go to multiple locations but it is had to find out which services are a preferred provider

Alex Nee

February 4th, 2019 Centerville, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They think certain groups of people cannot get certain diseases. Apparently if you're 30 you cannot get acid reflux. What's next? They tell you that a 5 yo can't get cancer!? There is no medical reason for them to keep taking medications out while charging more.

Valarie Heaps

February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

we had bluecross blueshield several years ago but the rates were too high. we had to switch insurance companies but when we were with them they were easy to work with

Lindsey A Brown

February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used to have BlueCross BlueShield through my husband's past employer and the coverage was excellent. I don't recall ever having any issues during the 5 years we had it. Great company and very reputable.

Mauri Brewer

February 1st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We felt satisfied with the list of providers we could choose from. We also had great interactions with the customer service agents we talked with.

janalee sanders

February 1st, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

we had healthcare through Blue Cross for more than 20 years. As long as I can remember we never had one issue with a claim or with our claims being paid in a timely manner. Blue Cross was always a good provider for our family.

JARED J BUCKLEY

January 31st, 2019 Fort Bridger, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The customer service in Wyoming is just great. Everytime I give a call the ladies on the line are just so helpful and kind.

CRUZ LOPEZ

January 30th, 2019 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible Company! Very inconsiderate of the members schedule when it comes to customer service hours! I've been paying over $565 every month since Oct 2018 and haven't been able to use my plan 1 time! I was never mail a packet! Never got my Member card! Never get a rep because my work schedule doesn't allow it! I cant register online for whatever reason i get errors and then tells you to call a number that closes at 4:30! But they sure do get their money from every check!!! Its a one sided relationship and they got their money and don't care of anyone's situation. If you can find another health insurance provider, do it.

Roger Wilken

January 30th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HAVE BEEN VERY FAIR AND CONSISTANT THEY HAVE BEEN VERY TRUTFUL WITHTH ME

s thomas

January 25th, 2019 Wellborn, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had them for a few years. We pay too much for to little customer service. If you call they will not help you navigate benefits or appeals. The app and website are always down. I'll be looking into other options next year.

Efren

January 17th, 2019 Cerritos, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This Health Insurance sucks! Last December 2018< I had an appointment with a Specialist for a follow up treatment. The day before my appointment, the Doctor called me to verify with my insurance because they claimed that I was inactive and changed on another group plan without my knowledge. When I received the two insurance cards for me and my wife, our family primary physician got changed without our knowledge. Blue Shield assigned us a doctor that we did not know and located quite a distance from us. We never called Blue Shield to change our Primary doctor and our plan, however, they went ahead and changed it without notifying us. I called Blue Shield on the day before my doctor appointment, the representative I talked to went to change back to our Primary doctor and said that I was on the same plan as before and would be receiving the new cards in 10 days. Guess what happened, the doctor had a problem with my insurance and I was inactive. I was very thankful that the specialist doctor treated me for free for that appointment. Additionally, the new cards arrived after 26 days compared to 10 days as I was told. My card was changed to my previous primary physician but not my wife. I called Blue Shield today, 1/15/19 to correct the issue and spoke with someone by the name of Alex and made me wait for so long hoping that he was correcting the issue. No, he was searching for the reason why it was changed. Later, he told me that my wife needed to call them herself. I told them that I am the Primary member, however, he insisted that she had to call them. I requested to speak to his supervisor and the supervisor told me the same way although I explained to them that this was an error on their part, not notifying me and they changed our Primary Physician and plan without our authorization and notification. Additionally, a prescription was given to me by the doctor and was not authorized by this Insurance although it was authorized before. BLUE SHIELD sucks and I will be switching to another health Provider. I SHOULD BE RATING THEM AS ZERO STAR, HOWEVER< THERE IS NO ZERO HERE.

Madalyn Johnson

January 17th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BlueCross is amazing! I know i will always be covered and my co-pay is super cheap!!!

Chloe Magleby

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT

I had blue cross blue shield for most of my life and I honestly think they are one of the worst healthcare providers. They have the worse coverage and the most expensive plans.

Annie Orr

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BlueCross BlueShield is an awesome private insurance company! They are so helpful!

Kymberlee Yack

December 20th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

the most reliable health insurance my family has ever had. we've been with blue cross for years and wouldn't change a think. the coverage with them is great!

Mark A upton

December 13th, 2018 Hazel Crest, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Basically, the worst ever. Ghetto insurance, I could actually do better in an alley on the south side of Chicago. I wish I had look at their reviews before I went with them. They are a joke. All their locations should be burned down.

Darius Williams

December 13th, 2018 Alexandria, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

didnt have the best customer service when i had them through my job. also had high copays

Pam

December 11th, 2018 Oklahoma City, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been paying for their most expensive plan. One trip to the drs office. Some blood tests, cardiogram... And the insurance didn't even cover half the charges. $500 out of pocket. I'm switching immediately.

Mildred Carter

December 11th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had this as my health insurance for one of my former employers. They covered pretty much everything I needed, but then again I didn't need anything MAJOR. The prices were okay - but I got discounted employee pricing through my job, so I'm not sure what their typical pricing scheme is.

Jorden Laird

December 11th, 2018 Front Royal, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

never had an issue with day to day coverage and covered Mirena 100% only paid a copayment

Jill Nilson

December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had Blue Cross Blue Shield with my husbands company and they were always great to work with and I never had to question any of my benefits.

Alex

December 7th, 2018 St Louis, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Obscures your plan on their website, bounces you around and hangs up on you if you call, won't notify you if you have outstanding bills. Most health insurance companies are bloated and have a poor record of service, BCBS is no different.

Katie Kearney

December 6th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had BlueCross BlueShield for many years and enjoyed their insurance. Their coverage was great. I would definitely recommend them.

Jack miller

December 5th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I have been under BlueCross BlueShield almost my entire life. Customer service has been pretty easy to work with and I feel satisfied by what I've gotten up to this point.