BlueCross BlueShield is a renowned and well-known insurance provider. With BlueCross BlueShield, customers can have access to great member resources. Customers can also purchase dental and vision coverage.

View BlueCross BlueShield Reviews

BlueCross BlueShield is also a parent company of other health insurance companies that provide BlueCross BlueShield insurance in specific regions and states. BlueCross BlueShield companies include Anthem, CareFirst, Regence, Wellmark, Highmark, Capital, Empire, Independence, Horizon, and Premera.

It oversees 36 different insurance companies, all of which are locally operated. As a nationwide company in the health insurance marketplace, BlueCross BlueShield has helped millions of people with health insurance plans since its founding in 1929.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service
  • Availability and Acceptance

Types of Plans Offered

BlueCross BlueShield insurance plans are available nationwide and widely accepted at hospitals and doctor's offices.

Coverage options range in many types — from a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) to Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). These plan-types indicate the kind of provider network available with the health plan. PPO plans generally offer coverage for seeing out-of-network providers, though the coverage levels are not as high as for in-network providers. HMO plans only offer out-of-network coverage in emergency situations.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers plans with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs), and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). BlueCross BlueShield also offers indemnity, Point of Service (POS), and short-term health insurance plan options.

The coverage and details of each medical policy varies. The costs depend partially on your health situation (including age, number of group being insured, health status, etc.) and your location. When you initially search for a health plan to understand the benefits and costs of monthly payments, expect to put in your location and some personal information, as these points will help BlueCross BlueShield draw up a list of potential plans for you.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers Medicare and Medicaid plans. Its Medicare plans include Medicare Supplement plans (Medigap), Part D (prescription drug plans), and Medicare Advantage plans. A Medicare Advantage plan offers the coverage of Part A and Part B (Original Medicare) in a single health plan. Medicare Advantage plans are also called Medicare Part C.

Medigap plans can be purchased to help pay for Part A copayments. To qualify for Medicare benefits, individuals generally must be at least 65 years old.

In addition to health care coverage options, the some BlueCross BlueShield Plan offerings include dental insurance plans and vision insurance. Dental plans and vision plans may also vary by location, so it's important to work with the subsidiary in your area to get specific information. Those looking for vision or dental coverage can find good policies through BlueCross BlueShield.

As you evaluate your health insurance options, keep your health needs and budget in mind. The amount you pay for a health plan is not limited to the monthly premiums. In addition to considering the cost of premiums, you should also consider how expensive the out-of-pocket expenses will be. Sometimes paying a higher premium will mean having cheaper out-of-pocket expenses (copays and coinsurance) or lower out-of-pocket maximums.

Member Resources

BlueCross BlueShield keeps up its positive reputation with members with both basic and advanced tools. Some of these tools are specific to each of its subsidiaries, and include customer service numbers and mobile apps.

Unique Features

BlueCross BlueShield's network of doctors and specialists is gigantic. BlueCross BlueShield insurance is accepted all over the United States. Because of the wide acceptance, it should be easy to find a network provider. Treatment and other medical services you receive from these providers will be covered in part by this company.

Another unique feature of the Blue365 program. Through Blue365, members can receive discounts on all sorts of health-related products and services. Some discounts and deals change from time to time. Blue365 saves you money and provides added motivation for you to get and stay healthy. Not every BlueCross BlueShield subsidiary may participate in Blue365, so check with your subsidiary to see if it does.

The BlueCross BlueShield website is extremely detailed and full of resources for members and potential customers alike. For anyone who would benefit from it, it has general information about health care, insurance, terminology, legal changes, and how all these factors affect people who need health insurance.

More specifically, though, through the website you can find answers to questions about actual health plans offered by BlueCross BlueShield. You can search for plans and get a quote, narrowing your search by location and the type of plan you're looking for.

BlueCross BlueShield answers frequently asked questions, have social media outlets to connect with clients more personally, and of course, provide mailing information for when you need to mail in a form or contact them via snail mail.

In short, BlueCross BlueShield takes lots of different steps to meet the needs of customers all over the US. It is available 24/7 to members and has set up its customer service tools to be convenient, immediate, and of course, helpful-even in the details.

Availability and Acceptance

BlueCross BlueShield is available in all 50 states, and is widely accepted by doctors and hospitals. Specific health care provider network access, however, does depend on the individual health plan.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Rathan Kumar from Trabuco Canyon, CA

"I had blue cross blue shield for 3 years when I was with my old job. They had a lot of providers in my area that worked great."

Get Quote

The Bad

State-Specific Coverage

For better or worse, the coverage you receive through your health plan depends partially on the state you live in (the state in which you would use that insurance). In other words, you can't just look up a PPO plan at BlueCross BlueShield and expect the same coverage percentages, out-of-pocket costs, and deductibles for any state. The BlueCross BlueShield website will direct you to the company that serves your area before you can get information on plan options.

The Bottom Line

In many ways, it's not surprising that there are inconsistencies in health insurance plan details at BlueCross BlueShield. After all, the health insurer is large and works though several subsidiaries. It provides coverage nationwide, and has an extensive history and reputation.

Its growth has brought both positive and negative consequences. For example, it's positive that BlueCross BlueShield is accepted at such a high percentages of hospitals, doctors, and urgent care centers because it is a well-known brand in the health insurance marketplace. But on the other hand, the office you work with locally could be one of those with a poor reputation since BlueCross BlueShield doesn't micromanage each subsidiary.

It's important to make sure any health plan you choose offers the medical coverage you need and is affordable. The best insurance plan for someone else may not necessarily be the best fit for your situation. Be sure to understand your health needs and what would fit into your budget. Choosing a reliable health insurer is also important. Reading health insurance reviews from customers can give you a sense of the general quality BlueCross BlueShield offers.

Long story short, BlueCross BlueShield is still a recommended insurance company. There are some regional differences with BlueCross BlueShield companies, so interested people should work with the insurer directly to learn more about coverage, benefits, premium rates, deductible, and out-of-pocket limit available with each health plan.

Call our recommended rep over at BlueCross BlueShield below.

3.6

Casey

May 1st, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service with BCBS. I really appreciate how their website give tips on how to save money and find doctors and services in network. They always send prompt billing breakdowns so you know exactly how much was charged, how much they paid, and how much you owe.

Amanda O'Shields

May 1st, 2018 Columbus, GA

BlueCross BlueShield was my primary health insurance provider both through my employer and as an individual policy for 6 years straight. At the end of that time, the company canceled all individual policy renewals for the next year because of possible legislation changes that they as a company did not want to deal with adjusting in their underwriting. Any time in the 6 years that I needed customer service and called, the wait time was horrendous, the agent was never properly trained to do their job, the supervisors and managers merely wanted me to go away and the touch tone system always sent me to the wrong state. AWFUL company to deal with!!

Julia Scoville

April 26th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Only ever had to contact them once. They helped with what I needed.

Chris Peters

April 24th, 2018 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Waited and waited for pre approval for my ACL surgery and finally decided to reschedule my surgery and apply for disability in the hopes that maybe if I cancle my insurance and make less money I can apply for government paud healthcare so maybe I can get my knee fixed and stop living in pain. I paid $500/month for insurance thats seems to be almost useless. I pay more for thier services than I do for rent and they not only have horible customer service but they are only in business to take your money. Go with a healthcare savings plan and dont get ripped off.

Andrea Smith

April 18th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been very happy with our Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance. It is reliable, pays well, and their customer service is easy to deal with.

Dale Ash

December 20th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My company forced me to use Blue Cross Blue Shield. It was not a good experience. They limit your physician choices. Many of my doctors were not on their panel. Their customer service was not as good as my prior health insurance provider. They are OK. Certainly better than not having health insurance.

Natasha

December 19th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best insurance coverage I have ever had. They are helpful and get everything taken care of without any issues.

William

December 14th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had bluecross blue shield through my wife's work. It was by far the best health insurance I have ever had. They paid every bill without question.

Suzanna Wootton

December 13th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had AMAZING coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield! My copay was close to nothing and i loved being one of their customers. I wish i still had them!

Megan Rigby

December 12th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Through my husband work, we are able to have health insurance. Blue Cross Blue Shield has ben good to us. Never having to pay more than copayments.

Emerald Scott

December 5th, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really enjoyed having BlueCross BlueShield insurance, the one downside is that I had to pay more to get the hospital I typically use in network. Other than that they were great and paid for most of the visits I had. They paid for my prescriptions almost every time as well. Their customer service when I had to call was simple and easy to get through and the people I talked to were really nice.

Cassidy Gundersen

December 5th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been with Blue Cross for over 10 years. And I have found that they are average in every way. Their customer service is mediocre. I called to get help finding a breast pump that was covered under insurance, and they were unable to help me and told me to just buy one and then maybe it would be covered. I spent many hours on the phone trying to get an answer before a supervisor finally gave me that response. There are many locations that are out of network for them and it makes it difficult to find a provider. I often get reminders from companies that they have not paid out their portion of the bill and in some cases it has been after months of follow-ups that they payout or send reimbursements.

Linda Hill

November 13th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best part of Blue Cross is their customer service. They are very patient and willing to take the time to explain your benefits.

Hayley Lambdin

November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT

I used BlueCross when I was on my moms insurance. It was pretty amazing when I needed to get birth control. It covered the expenses 100 percent.

Brindy

November 10th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always had a wonderful experience with BCBS Fed, they have always had great customer service, great coverage, and great benefits. However, I gave them only a four rating because of how expensive they are. Unfortunately I will be switching insurance companies because of the spike in price every year.

Misty Ward

November 2nd, 2017 Buffalo Valley, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are crooked and only care about their money. Even when a doctor repeatedly provides the medical necessity of a surgery for someone to regain any quality of life they deny coverage. Claiming not medically necessary. Why do I paid the high cost for coverage when it’s useless to me! When I need them to help me so I can walk and work they continue to deny coverage. This surgery is something I NEED to be able to walk and to hopefully be able to return to some sort of job to have a life again. No matter how many times they speak with my neurosurgeon through appeals or see all the tests that say this is my only option they say NO. Completely worthless. Worst insurance I’ve ever had and to expensive to not cover anything.

Mitchell S

October 16th, 2017 Deerfield Beach, FL

I am on MyBlue. It is very difficult to find a Primary Provider, but I did a lot of research and he is working out well. It all depends on your main doctor whether this is a good choice for you.

Madysen Clingan

September 29th, 2017

Refuse to cover necessary medical tests for my pregnancy unless I deliver at the hospital THEY want me to deliver at. I'm currently paying over 1000 dollars in bills and it keeps piling up because they refuse to pay on anything. They won't even cover the blood work I had to get at my first appointment. Also if my baby is a boy they refuse to help cover the cost of a circumcision. Absolutely ridiculous. They want me to deliver at a hospital over an HOUR away from where I live. Will be switching insurances.