Aetna Logo

6.6

Aetna offers Medicare, Medigap, and Medicaid. It also offers employer-sponsored domestic and international health plans, vision insurance, and dental insurance. Aetna prides itself on providing exceptional customer service.

The insurance provider's positive reviews are a majority of its total reviews. Reviewers appreciate the company's coverage and customer service.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Jean Warech from Hickory, North Carolina

"Everything I have needed, including spinal surgery, has been authorized by Aetna! After pre- authorization, Aetna has approved for me! I am satisfied with Aetna so far, as of 1 year. Very good customer service. Very friendly staff! I will stay with Aetna!"

View Aetna customer reviews and ratings below.

The Good

• Company Ratings
  • Positive Reviews
  • Health Plan Variety
  • Additional Insurance Options
  • Helpful Member Resources
  • Large Provider Network
  • Customer Service

Company Ratings

While Aetna has a slightly lower overall score compared to other health insurers on Best Company, it has a high star-rating for the health insurance industry.

Star ratings on Best Company are from people who leave reviews on our site. The overall score considers reviews and a few other industry-related criteria.

These good ratings indicate that many Aetna members are satisfied with their Aetna plan and the service they receive. With these ratings and reviews, Aetna has earned a spot in the top ten health insurers listed on Best Company.

Positive Reviews

A majority of Aetna reviews on BestCompany.com are positive.

Praise in these reviews includes helpful and responsive customer service and satisfaction with provider networks. Positive reviews also mention having the coverage for needed health care.

Positive reviewers had mixed responses to Aetna's cost. Some thought the price was great. Others found it was a little high.

Several variables affect health insurance premium rates, including age. If your plan is through an employer, your employer's contribution to premiums can also affect costs.

Health Plan Variety

Aetna offers a wide variety of plans. Some plans are only available through employers. Others are available for individuals qualifying for Medicare or Medicaid. Here are the main types of health plans it offers:

Employers can also choose Aetna health plans to offer employees.

Additional Insurance Options

Aetna offers one dental plan to individuals and families. Aetna Dental ® Direct plan fully covers preventive treatment. If you're switching to Aetna dental insurance from a similar plan, the waiting period for major services can be waived.

Aetna also offers a dental discount card. At participating dental clinics, you can receive a discount between 15 percent and 50 percent. The cost of this card starts at $7.99. While this card is not insurance, it can help you save on dental care.

Availability of the dental discount card and Aetna Dental® Direct varies by state.

You can also purchase international dental coverage.

Dental insurance is not available in every state. Depending on your state and the plan's benefits, you can receive coverage for preventative care (such as cleanings), restorative work (such as fillings), and even major procedures like getting crowns.

If you purchase Aetna Dental Direct, you can add Aetna Vision Preferred plan to your coverage.

Aetna's vision benefits are accepted at major eyeglasses retailers. Again, depending on your plan, your benefits can include coverage for contacts or glasses and eye exams. Aetna also offers stand-alone vision plans.

Finally, Aetna has a variety of other insurance plans to meet the needs of all consumers, including:

• Life insurance
  • Disability insurance
  • Government and labor insurance
  • Student insurance
  • International insurance

Helpful Member Resources

When it comes to tools for members, Aetna rises above its competitors. Customer service is an area where this company shines. Not only are Aetna representatives available around the clock through different mediums, but Aetna members also have access to several different tools to get calculations, answers to questions, and advice about claims.

Anyone can search the company's website and get a tour of a member account before registering. This allows you to see what account access would look like.

To see if the physician you currently see is in Aetna's network or find a new participating provider, there's an intuitive Find a Doctor tool online as well.

It is advantageous for patients to see an in-network provider because rates are usually lower than seeing an out-of-network doctor.

Using the Find a Doctor tool, you initially specify your search by state and type of doctor.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Roxanna Perez

"I have had this insurance for the past two years. They offer different plans that work accord to my needs. Additionally, their network is easy to navigate and find the right professionals for me."

Once a member, you have easy access to tools like Find a Pharmacy and the iTriage mobile app that Aetna came out with for your on-the-go healthcare needs.

Aetna also offers a tool to help you find the right plan for your situation, and there are pages on the website that describe the details of each of the plans.

Aetna members benefit from online access to a member portal and account, through which they can pay a premium, view benefits, get an explanation of those benefits, find a doctor, and request an insurance card. You can also order medications, view the status of a claim, ask questions to a virtual nurse 24/7, and get other estimates if needed online. These offerings are common for the health insurance industy.

A rising trend among insurers is offering discounts encouraging healthy habits. Aetna members can receive discounts for gym memberships and weight loss programs.

Aetna also provides tools that help you track your health (for example, by seeing your health history and statistics about your blood pressure). In this sense, Aetna supports its members' health and wellness. It doesn't just pay for your medical bills.

Large Provider Network

Aetna claims to have one of the United States's biggest networks of doctors and hospitals. This makes it more likely that the doctor you visit will be in-network for an Aetna plan - or, at least, it makes it so that you have a wide selection of doctors if you need to switch to Aetna's network of primary care physicians and specialists.

Aetna owns several subsidiaries in the healthcare industry. These include:

• Coventry Health Care
  • Humana (which they very recently acquired)
  • ActiveHealth Management
  • Aetna Student Health
  • Schaller Anderson
  • Strategic Resource Company
  • Aetna Capital Management
  • Cofinity
  • Medicity

Aetna prides itself on its customer service. It makes its representatives available to customers via phone, email, mail, and even social media.

There are a few different phone numbers you can use to contact someone at Aetna, but if you're a member, there is conveniently a specific member phone line to call.

At any hour of the day, there is also a virtual nurse available for patients to go online and ask questions. This is more convenient than trying to track down a doctor outside of business hours.

The company website for Aetna is very informative and easy to navigate. Its FAQs sections largely focus on the logistics of managing your account.

Aetna makes it very easy to find an answer if it doesn't already appear on the website. Also, you can expect to contact someone from Aetna 24/7 (using certain mediums) and you will be given information to make the best medical decisions for you.

The Bad

• Negative Customer Reviews
  • International Individual and Family Health Plans Only
  • State Availability
  • FAQs

Negative Customer Reviews

Although the majority of Aetna's reviews are positive, Best Company has also received a substantial proportion of negative Aetna health insurance reviews.

Negative Aetna reviews mention issues with coverage and communication with customer service.

Negative reviews are common in the health insurance industry, which can make it harder to evaluate companies.

International Individual and Family Health Plans Only

Unfortunately, Aetna does not offer domestic individual or family health plans, which makes it only an insurance option for employers and people qualifying for a government-sponsored health plan.

However, the company recently announced its intention to begin offering plans on the Health Insurance Marketplace again for the year 2022.

If you're looking for this kind of plan for 2021, you'll need to consider another health insurance company.

State Availability

Aetna's plans are only available in certain states (these include Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia). The dental plans are even more limited, being available only in only a few states.

If you qualify for a plan from Aetna but Aetna is not available in your area, you'll need to find another insurance company.

FAQs

Aetna's website does have plenty of FAQs sections, but they do not answer questions about prices, premiums, deductibles, and factors that affect these amounts (rather they focus on the logistics of account management).

This makes sense because premium costs, deductible amounts, and out-of-pocket expenses vary plan to plan and can be affected by demographic information, like age. Aetna's website allows potential clients to view plans available in their state with detailed information about costs and insurance coverage.

As you consider the cost of an insurance policy, consider the monthly premium and the out-of-pocket limit. Look at how the plan has structured its cost-sharing between you and the health insurer. How much is the copay or coinsurance for health services you'll likely need?

Evaluating the cost and coverage level will help you find a medical insurance plan that works best for your budget.

The Bottom Line

Aetna is a well-known health insurance provider. It has received a majority of positive reviews on Best Company. This majority of positive reviews is a good sign even though

Aetna has also received a high proportion of 1-star reviews.

Aetna is an especially good fit for Medicare beneficiaries, employers, and individuals qualifying for Medicaid.

Individual plans are not currently available, though the company plans to offer them in the future.

Of course, for anyone who lives outside of the states that Aetna plans are available in or are looking to buy an individual or family plan, this company is not an option.

In terms of location, Aetna is admittedly limited. It would also do well to provide more general information upfront to potential customers about prices and deductibles, which are crucial decision-makers in this industry.

Although the insurer has some limitations, Aetna insurance is worth considering further if you're interested in Medicare coverage, group health plans, or qualify for Medicaid or CHIP.

View Best Health Insurance Companies

3.3

GM Austin, TX

My first negative experience with Aetna came when I needed to change my cholesterol medication because it was causing leg pains. They would not authorize the alternative prescribed by my doctor and so I have had to live with the leg pains. My worse experience came because I need surgery for BPH. There is a new treatment called water jet ablation that has been around for several years and which has shown very effective results. They refuse to cover that treatment and insist on the much older TURP procedure which carries a 95% chance of permanent sexual dysfunction and a high risk of incontinence. They hide behind a insurmountable wall of bureaucracy, and think they know better than the doctors or the patients what is in the patient's best interest. Their premiums are very expensive, and for what ? Second rate coverage and a complete lack of compassion or caring for the patients.

1 day ago

Aleksandar Gutesa Doha, DA

The guys I've been receiving emails from are very nice and responsive, in general if this review great would be based on Customer Care, I'd rate it 10+ stars. But: 1- Just too expensive. Comparing to BUPA, Allianz I had before (working for the same company; they've never got back to me why they've changed providers) like 13-15%. And their lists of benefits were longer than AETNA's. 2- I've been exchanging emails with their Claim dpt. for days now. Apparently, vaccination for kids is not part of my coverage. Not for COVID. For MENINGOCOCCAL MENINGGITIS A,C,Y! &W. Sorry for being sarcastic, but I was shocked: at the early 21st century! Needless to mention that local providers here in Qatar, not branches of come big, word renown provider, have ALL the vaccinations covered. Where I'm coming from (and my country's annual GDP is 30% less than overall AETNA profit) it's also free/covered. I'm looking into a way how to leave AETNA and enroll with some other provider before end of one year coverage. Annually I'll save circa EUR4500.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I used Aetna during my employment with two different companies and found it a very good insurance company to deal with for medical coverage. The cost of coverage was always reasonable and covered all of my needs at the time.

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

I’ve been an Aetna customer for over 20 years. I’ve never had a reason to look for a different insurance provider at my company because Aetna has administered my health plan well, their website is solid and their customer service is good.

hsm West Jordan, UT

I could not justify a two-star review. My husband has had Aetna with various companies over the decades (medical, dental, and vision). I have very little regard for Aetna for health, vision, or dental. It all stinks. Who are they kidding? If only the big companies who try to save money using Aetna would just see they are getting really lousy service for their employees, maybe it would bring about change. Among my reasons for a poor review: lousy network and lousy costs coverage. Aetna says they save us so much money on the premium vision plan, but it is entirely dependent upon premium prices to begin with. I much rather prefer VSP. I can't dislike Aetna enough. Big companies - stop thinking you are providing a great plan for your employees! Additionally, Aetna's slow transition into the 21st century astounds me. Their website is clunky and unintuitive! Even years later, there is very little progress. For example, on my search, if I search using a zip code, shouldn't it default to the nearest being within the zip code first?! Is this the 90's? How do they even exist? Is there really any competition, else why would a company choose Aetna?!

Kevin McPherson Willard, OH

I've been trying to get reimbursed for a dental procedure for months, first they sent the check to the wrong address, ok I was patient, next I was told that I would get the check reissued and it would be 14 days, I've talked to 3 different employees telling me the check would arrive in 14 day's, that was 6 weeks ago, no check, I called and the last employee in formed that the check for my dental work was being processed and to give them an additional 21 days, in the meantime I have payments to make to the finance company that gave me the loan for my dental work .this is all quite inexcusable , yhis is the worst insurance company i have ever had the displeasure if dealing with, i know they are owned by c.v.s pharmaceutical, I will be complain to their corporate headquarters if I don't get the reimbursement soon !

Jean Warech Hickory, NC

Frank K Niles, IL

Aetns took over Silverscript Drug Prescription Plan. Both my husbanf and myself have the same PDP. We received 2 invoices in January and paid with 1 check. Now, I received a letter that I eoll be disenrolled for non-payment of premium. What? My husband called and said hr psid. Thr person from India, Niel, a womsn said the check was not posted yet; that he should keep calling back every week to check. I called the bank and it was posted 2 days ago. I called and sokr to Jam from India and she went over both accounts and said the 1 check paid 2 months on my husbamd and none on myself. Shr said one check is allowed per account. 1 check cannot pay 2 PDP's. I was outraged as I worked for Bankers Life and Blue Cross anf one check could be applied for multiple insurance policies. I then had to pay another month to mskr up for the deficit. No one called to tell us this and the 1st rep lied about the check not being posted. Onr phone call or letter would have prevented thid. Considering cancelling both policies.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

Aetna has been the medical/health insurance in my family since I was young. The coverage that Aetna offers allows for our insurance to be accepted pretty much anywhere.

Melissa Morgan , FL

Their customer service is pretty responsive, depending on who you get on the phone. My Aetna plan pays a lot more than other plans I looked at for the things I want such as dental and specialists plus it’s not one of those horrid things where you have to go to a few certain doctors. They need to include more doctors, though. Some that I want to go to aren’t in their program, and I have to pay more, but it’s still very affordable and worth it. They don’t give you the impression you’re being ripped off like some insurance companies do--like it’s a constant battle. Their site is very intuitive and easy to use.

Larry Wenhold

I’m now age 77 and have Aetna. In 2015 I had open heart surgery at Doylestown Heart Hospital. I only had a small deductible and Aetna took over, and they were outstanding. Not one complaint. In 2016 my wife had knee replacement, and again we were truly amazed as they picked up everything with small deductible. Recently had gall bladder surgery at Doylestown Hospital. As usual, Aetna just worked as smooth as glass. Amazing, a few days after leaving hospital, Aetna provided us with 14 free meals as part of our coverage. Wow! Aetna pays my fees at local YMCA with silver sneakers. We have plans C which INCLUDES DRUG coverage. Most of our prescriptions have NO co pay. We pay $72 each monthly. At my age it is hard to say WOW, but Aetna has performed better than could be expected. Luv Aetna. 👍🇱🇷

Alexandra Lefevre Beverly Hills, CA

If only I could give less than one star...they will do everything in their power not to cover your medical bills. Had a skin cancer during COVID. First time I showed up for the surgery, I had a fever and had to get tested for COVID. I finally got the surgery after my surgeon had asked a pre-authorization to Aetna. It has been months and they have been denying every single one of my claims, because the Physician who saw me for the COVID test supposedly has not provided them with medical records and "it's all related to the same condition" according to them. Well...not exactly. Cancer has nothing to do with COVID. They are also saying that my surgeon did not obtain pre-authorization for the surgery. I guess with this insurance, you are supposed to stay with cancer for as long as your insurance will deem acceptable...until they finally wake up and decide to give you authorization, or not. Pretty unacceptable. Already got another insurance and I would never recommend them

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

We were customers of a local health insurance company that was acquired by Aetna in the middle of an insurance year. The transmission was not smooth and there were many additional requirements for payment that were put in place that made it very difficult to access services.

Missy Charleston, IL

I have Aetna through the state of Illinois. Since the state switched to this current plan, I've been very impressed with the customer service and the coverage. Much better than anything we've had previously!

Stefanie Ewer Providence, UT

I went in to the doctor to have a procedure done. When I got there we weren’t sure which test was covered. I called Aetna while sitting in the waiting room. Within 5 minutes i had an answer to my question. They even double checked my coverage again. Very fast, friendly, knowledgeable service.

Amanda Drews Arlington, TX

Over all, I like Aetna. Most associates are nice and helpful and don’t have any problems answering questions and helping you to understand whatever it is your asking about. There are a handful that does make me wonder if they have a quota to fill on the number of people they talk to or help. Sometimes it seems they are trying to get off as quickly as possible. They are also the same ones that tend to make me feel stupid for not understanding to begin with.

Phil Carriere Cambridge, IA

Looked at several other plans from various other companies , but felt like the Aetna plan was best for my wife and I. Low cost,covered everything we needed covered, and includes a dental rebate program. When i needed an answer to a question they have always been there for me and are always concerned about improving my well being .

Nell Damascus, MD

We currently are using Aetna. We do Like that there are lots of providers and that they do give you helpful hints on how to lower your medical bill.

Barry New York, NY

Recently diagnosed with a life threatening lung condition requiring a CT scan and was denied. After countless weeks and calls I was finally forwarded to the third party group Aetna uses to deny claims. At this point my last resort is a peer to peer from my Surgeon to the third party to justify the cost of life saving test and surgery. Praying for approval before its to late. Stay away from this company at all costs or the cost may be your life.

Azrienne Davis Tallahassee, FL

This is the insurance that is provided through my employer and i have both dental and medical coverage. This insurance is accepted in plenty of doctors’ offices and comes with lists of what is covered and what isnt

Roxana Perez ,

Dave_ Layton, UT

The insurance coverage I had was good. As long as you chose the plan that meets your needs it will be good. I chose a good plan of the ones elected from my company and it provided good coverage.

Brenda Benson Beulaville, NC

I really appreciate the customer service. When I call I am not put on hold. The rep. was Ester from Cary, NC . She was very patient with me. I had a lot of questions and she answered every one to my satisfaction. She was very polite, friendly and professional. I highly recommend Aetna and Ester.

Patricia Hope

very prompt--reliable and a good value for the cost of the policy and the coverage we need. Without it we would not have the level of care that we have needed. To get in touch with them when we need to is encouraging and dependable that we can rely on at very difficult times because of our health.

Amy Stewart Gilbert, AZ

We had Aetna Health Insurance in the past offered to us through my husbands company and we loved it! It was nice and easy to use and covered all of our health and welfare needs. Every time we needed to go to a specialist it was so helpful that they all accepted Aetna. I like that they are such a wonderful service that many doctors use.

Jennifer Ogden, UT

We have had Aetna for many years now and they are the best health insurance provider we have ever had. The price is the best part but the network of available physicians is a close second. Any time I have ever had a question, customer service has been able to give me straight forward and honest answers very quickly. I would recommend Aetna to anyone looking for a new health insurance provider.

Jeff Justice West Jordan, UT

We switched from a competing health insurance company a few years ago when we moved from my wife's coverage to mine. I'd been with the prior company for many years and was reluctant to change. Really just concerned that I'd walk into lower quality service because we we're saving money. That hasn't been the case. Our family doesn't have any major medical issues, but plenty of routine stuff. And Aetnae coverage has been quick and comprehensive. We've never had any claim issues. That's great in my book!

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We like this company for its diverse coverage. Great for small business' that need to insure their employees

Carlee Burt ,

The best insurance!! Great customer service and benefits. It can be expensive depending on your employer

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I liked my coverage with Aetna and the customer service was great. I would like to see them contract with more providers.

Abby Ashby Provo, UT

I love Aetna! They have covered procedures that are sometimes considered cosmetic so I just really appreciate them!

duane Blairsville, PA

Aetna Health Insurance is TERRIBLE Insurance. I was forced to take them and give up my UPMC Health Care Coverage, and now I see why. If you have a choice do not choose a Aetna Health Care Plan, you will pay more out of pocket expenses. You will also spend more time on phone trying to resolve issues. It is a bad Insurance option if you have a choice save yourself a huge headache and pick a different plan.

Bruce W Lawrenceville, GA

Excellent coverage, but more importantly, excellent online resources. I can always depend on accurate information and knowledgeable explanations.

Donald Miller Liberty, KY

Sent a shifty insurance agent to my mother's home where I was convalescing from a head-on collision on my motor cycle with a car whose driver had Aetna Insurance. The agent who visited me told me it was not her fault, but because they're nice people, they would repair my cycle and pay my medical bills. I mentioned the clothes torn up in the accident as well as having to be adjusted to fit over my injuries. They would pay for that too I was told. Then I mentioned I would be unable to go back to work (I was working the summer between my freshman and sophomore year) and the man agreed to pay my lost wages. Being high on pain killers, I was not able to reason clearly so when I ran out of ideas, he had me sign the papers, I signed away my rights. I was unable to return to the judo team and have had problems with my leg over the years. Accident happened July 28, 1968. Unscrupulous, cheating company and I would never consider using their services.

Rajiv N Ashburn, VA

Never had to deal with any issues regarding the claims or back and forth on anything much with the customer service. The plans offered through work are great, and easy on the pocket.

Beck khbscrapbook Los Angeles, CA

Good care if you could find a doctor that was on the list to go to. Sometimes they denied charge which I thought were covered. Some of their reasoning didn’t make sense to me. They would wear you down until you just ended up paying the bill to get it to stop.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Miami, FL

I had this insurance previously with one of my employments. I had a copay but I was able to go to the ER and outpatient. After my $40 copay, it covered everything else such as immunizations and routine lab work.

Jacinda E Sandy, UT

I was covered with Aetna insurance when I was on my parents plan. Customer service did a great job at answering all the questions I had with benefits. They were great at helping knowing what was on the plan, but I did not like the plan. We had to still pay quite a bit out of pocket.

Tina Igo Avonmore, PA

We have used AETNA for the past 5 years. We are impressed with the variety and levels of coverage offered. The online account access is easy and user friendly. Thank you AETNA for helping keep us healthy!

Haelyn Lahens Deerfield Beach, FL

I attend University and it can be difficult to find insurances that are accepted. However, with this insurance, I have no problems. I go to my Healthness Center if I have any problems and this insurance does very well in taking care of the charges. I never have to worry about an out of pocket payment.

Kate Gregory Pleasant Grove, UT

Our premiums are high, but our experience is that they have paid for almost every medical appointment, surgery, test, and procedure after our high deductible. The exceptions are the tests we have needed that aren't mainstream tests, such as genetic testing and gadolinium poisoning from MRI contrast (which they paid for). This year, it has been definitely worth it.

Paige Baldwin Wellsville, UT

We recently just made the change to Aetna and we love it so far. The coverage is great and the customer service is so helpful with every question or concern that we have. The billing process is always smooth and easy and we’ve never had a problem.

Jennifer Smith Salt Lake City, UT

We had this son on this insurance while he spent 2 years in Peru. During a time that he was sick there, he was able to visit with 2 doctors after being the victim of a couple medical emergencies. This insurance company was very on top of things and were able to quickly assess the situation. Authorization as pushed to local doctors and help was able to be given. I am very grateful for the affiliation that this service has with young people like my son.

Scott Orem, UT

Great health insurance, great price, and great network. I currently have Aetna health insurance for my family and have nothing but good things to say about them. I have had some bad experiences in the past but Aetna is a breath of fresh air.

Amber Gilbert, AZ

Co-pays are more than I would like them to be with 20 and 40 for specialist. My husband went through a heart even that came to thousands of dollars. We only had to pay a small fraction. He continues to have many prescriptions a month that are 90% covered by the insurance. So far great experience.

Adam Daugherty Tempe, AZ

I have Aetna thru my work for health insurance. Calling the number on the back of my card to find a doctor near me is for the most part quick. Right around lunch time the lines can get bogged down but they are good at finding what service your looking for.

Jared Provo, UT

Had them for several years and never had a problem! I was able to cover all my medical needs.

Deborah Kelly Farmington, MO

This is a horrible company. I was diagnosed with cancer and after jumping through all their hoops and sending numerous letters, phone calls, and records, they rescinded my insurance after fighting with them for a year. The reasoning for the rescinded insurance was my weight!!! After paying for a year they decide I'm too fat to be on their insurance at the end of my cancer treatments.

Andrew Hyde ,

I have been with Aetna for several years now. I like how many doctors are in-network for them and how easy it is to get referrals.

Mabel Mesa, AZ

Aetna has provided the coverage I need. Employees for customer service are always helpful and friendly. The nurse hotline is great.