Aetna Logo

6.6

LAST UPDATED: September 29th, 2022

Aetna offers Medicare, Medigap, and Medicaid. It also offers employer-sponsored domestic and international health plans, vision insurance, and dental insurance. Aetna prides itself on providing exceptional customer service.

The insurance provider's positive reviews are a majority of its total reviews. Reviewers appreciate the company's coverage and customer service.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Jean Warech from Hickory, North Carolina

"Everything I have needed, including spinal surgery, has been authorized by Aetna! After pre- authorization, Aetna has approved for me! I am satisfied with Aetna so far, as of 1 year. Very good customer service. Very friendly staff! I will stay with Aetna!"

View Aetna customer reviews and ratings below.

Deseret Mutual Logo
#2 Deseret Mutual chevron_right
Oscar Logo
#3 Oscar chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Company Ratings
  • Positive Reviews
  • Health Plan Variety
  • Additional Insurance Options
  • Helpful Member Resources
  • Large Provider Network
  • Customer Service

Company Ratings

While Aetna has a slightly lower overall score compared to other health insurers on Best Company, it has a high star-rating for the health insurance industry.

Star ratings on Best Company are from people who leave reviews on our site. The overall score considers reviews and a few other industry-related criteria.

These good ratings indicate that many Aetna members are satisfied with their Aetna plan and the service they receive. With these ratings and reviews, Aetna has earned a spot in the top ten health insurers listed on Best Company.

Positive Reviews

A majority of Aetna reviews on BestCompany.com are positive.

Praise in these reviews includes helpful and responsive customer service and satisfaction with provider networks. Positive reviews also mention having the coverage for needed health care.

Positive reviewers had mixed responses to Aetna's cost. Some thought the price was great. Others found it was a little high.

Several variables affect health insurance premium rates, including age. If your plan is through an employer, your employer's contribution to premiums can also affect costs.

Health Plan Variety

Aetna offers a wide variety of plans. Some plans are only available through employers. Others are available for individuals qualifying for Medicare or Medicaid. Here are the main types of health plans it offers:

Employers can also choose Aetna health plans to offer employees.

Additional Insurance Options

Aetna offers one dental plan to individuals and families. Aetna Dental ® Direct plan fully covers preventive treatment. If you're switching to Aetna dental insurance from a similar plan, the waiting period for major services can be waived.

Aetna also offers a dental discount card. At participating dental clinics, you can receive a discount between 15 percent and 50 percent. The cost of this card starts at $7.99. While this card is not insurance, it can help you save on dental care.

Availability of the dental discount card and Aetna Dental® Direct varies by state.

You can also purchase international dental coverage.

Dental insurance is not available in every state. Depending on your state and the plan's benefits, you can receive coverage for preventative care (such as cleanings), restorative work (such as fillings), and even major procedures like getting crowns.

If you purchase Aetna Dental Direct, you can add Aetna Vision Preferred plan to your coverage.

Aetna's vision benefits are accepted at major eyeglasses retailers. Again, depending on your plan, your benefits can include coverage for contacts or glasses and eye exams. Aetna also offers stand-alone vision plans.

Finally, Aetna has a variety of other insurance plans to meet the needs of all consumers, including:

• Life insurance
  • Disability insurance
  • Government and labor insurance
  • Student insurance
  • International insurance

Helpful Member Resources

When it comes to tools for members, Aetna rises above its competitors. Customer service is an area where this company shines. Not only are Aetna representatives available around the clock through different mediums, but Aetna members also have access to several different tools to get calculations, answers to questions, and advice about claims.

Anyone can search the company's website and get a tour of a member account before registering. This allows you to see what account access would look like.

To see if the physician you currently see is in Aetna's network or find a new participating provider, there's an intuitive Find a Doctor tool online as well.

It is advantageous for patients to see an in-network provider because rates are usually lower than seeing an out-of-network doctor.

Using the Find a Doctor tool, you initially specify your search by state and type of doctor.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Roxanna Perez

"I have had this insurance for the past two years. They offer different plans that work accord to my needs. Additionally, their network is easy to navigate and find the right professionals for me."

Once a member, you have easy access to tools like Find a Pharmacy and the iTriage mobile app that Aetna came out with for your on-the-go healthcare needs.

Aetna also offers a tool to help you find the right plan for your situation, and there are pages on the website that describe the details of each of the plans.

Aetna members benefit from online access to a member portal and account, through which they can pay a premium, view benefits, get an explanation of those benefits, find a doctor, and request an insurance card. You can also order medications, view the status of a claim, ask questions to a virtual nurse 24/7, and get other estimates if needed online. These offerings are common for the health insurance industy.

A rising trend among insurers is offering discounts encouraging healthy habits. Aetna members can receive discounts for gym memberships and weight loss programs.

Aetna also provides tools that help you track your health (for example, by seeing your health history and statistics about your blood pressure). In this sense, Aetna supports its members' health and wellness. It doesn't just pay for your medical bills.

Large Provider Network

Aetna claims to have one of the United States's biggest networks of doctors and hospitals. This makes it more likely that the doctor you visit will be in-network for an Aetna plan - or, at least, it makes it so that you have a wide selection of doctors if you need to switch to Aetna's network of primary care physicians and specialists.

Aetna owns several subsidiaries in the healthcare industry. These include:

• Coventry Health Care
  • Humana (which they very recently acquired)
  • ActiveHealth Management
  • Aetna Student Health
  • Schaller Anderson
  • Strategic Resource Company
  • Aetna Capital Management
  • Cofinity
  • Medicity

Aetna prides itself on its customer service. It makes its representatives available to customers via phone, email, mail, and even social media.

There are a few different phone numbers you can use to contact someone at Aetna, but if you're a member, there is conveniently a specific member phone line to call.

At any hour of the day, there is also a virtual nurse available for patients to go online and ask questions. This is more convenient than trying to track down a doctor outside of business hours.

The company website for Aetna is very informative and easy to navigate. Its FAQs sections largely focus on the logistics of managing your account.

Aetna makes it very easy to find an answer if it doesn't already appear on the website. Also, you can expect to contact someone from Aetna 24/7 (using certain mediums) and you will be given information to make the best medical decisions for you.

The Bad

• Negative Customer Reviews
  • International Individual and Family Health Plans Only
  • State Availability
  • FAQs

Negative Customer Reviews

Although the majority of Aetna's reviews are positive, Best Company has also received a substantial proportion of negative Aetna health insurance reviews.

Negative Aetna reviews mention issues with coverage and communication with customer service.

Negative reviews are common in the health insurance industry, which can make it harder to evaluate companies.

International Individual and Family Health Plans Only

Unfortunately, Aetna does not offer domestic individual or family health plans, which makes it only an insurance option for employers and people qualifying for a government-sponsored health plan.

However, the company recently announced its intention to begin offering plans on the Health Insurance Marketplace again for the year 2022.

If you're looking for this kind of plan for 2021, you'll need to consider another health insurance company.

State Availability

Aetna's plans are only available in certain states (these include Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia). The dental plans are even more limited, being available only in only a few states.

If you qualify for a plan from Aetna but Aetna is not available in your area, you'll need to find another insurance company.

FAQs

Aetna's website does have plenty of FAQs sections, but they do not answer questions about prices, premiums, deductibles, and factors that affect these amounts (rather they focus on the logistics of account management).

This makes sense because premium costs, deductible amounts, and out-of-pocket expenses vary plan to plan and can be affected by demographic information, like age. Aetna's website allows potential clients to view plans available in their state with detailed information about costs and insurance coverage.

As you consider the cost of an insurance policy, consider the monthly premium and the out-of-pocket limit. Look at how the plan has structured its cost-sharing between you and the health insurer. How much is the copay or coinsurance for health services you'll likely need?

Evaluating the cost and coverage level will help you find a medical insurance plan that works best for your budget.

The Bottom Line

Aetna is a well-known health insurance provider. It has received a majority of positive reviews on Best Company. This majority of positive reviews is a good sign even though

Aetna has also received a high proportion of 1-star reviews.

Aetna is an especially good fit for Medicare beneficiaries, employers, and individuals qualifying for Medicaid.

Individual plans are not currently available, though the company plans to offer them in the future.

Of course, for anyone who lives outside of the states that Aetna plans are available in or are looking to buy an individual or family plan, this company is not an option.

In terms of location, Aetna is admittedly limited. It would also do well to provide more general information upfront to potential customers about prices and deductibles, which are crucial decision-makers in this industry.

Although the insurer has some limitations, Aetna insurance is worth considering further if you're interested in Medicare coverage, group health plans, or qualify for Medicaid or CHIP.

View Best Health Insurance Companies

3.0

Robert C.

By far the best rate on Medicare Supplemental in my area. I even got a discount through a professional association membership. Claims processing is good, and monthly account information is complete.

Keith Whiteley Pinellas Park, FL

This is how Aetna health insurance is trying to walk all over the little man again taking profits over health care for those that have paid them for it i.e., taking the premiums out of my paychecks. I am a teacher at our local technical college, and I suffer from a condition called Fibromyalgia which means that I feel pain at a tremendously higher level than the average person and there are several parts of my body that experience pain such as my hips, hands and feet. This condition inhibits my abilities in doing regular things like walking. I was in a wheelchair for years and got around in an electric scooter. I was a professional automotive repair mechanic for many years, now I teach our next generation how to repair vehicles. After seeing several doctors that could not do anything to ease my pain but give my addictive medications such as opiates that did not really help, I found Doctor Hana he worked with me to greatly reduce my use of opiates and started me on IV ketamine infusions that got me out of the wheelchair and up walking again. Now after covering these infusions for several years Aetna is trying to go back and deny this IV ketamine because they are trying to save money. I am appalled at this company’s complete lack of caring for someone in need. Please help me spread the word!!!!!! Of profits over people is happening again!!!

Jaclyn OToole Yonkers, NY

Aetna is the worst of the worst! My company basically forces me to get Aetna and I needed a Surgery that would help me breathe and they said it was not a necessity.. i did not know breathing wasn't a necessity! The doctor appealed it sent in pictures i gave in my statement how i am stuck in bed i miss work i cant go out etc and basically they didnt care, I know most people will say who cares but I pay top dollar for the top plan my company offers and for me not to be able to breathe out of my nose at all and to be throwing up all the time bc of mucus is not ok and if a surgery can help i think it is a necessity why should i live like this

Michelle Myers Glen Ellyn, IL

My experience has been a nightmare. They denied my prescription for my RA. I failed 10 drugs before we found one that worked for me. Two appeals later and it was approved. The cost $1400.00 a month. I have now been without meds for two months while dealing with this nightmare. I would not recommend this insurance to my worst enemy. It was not my choice to get this insurance. This is what my husband’s employer switched to from Blue Cross Blue Shield. They were fantastic and covered everything.

TeXaS TX

It is absolute crap. I would not call it insurance. I switched from United Healthcare and never had a problem before. Aetna turns down prescribed medications over and over again. It takes 2-3 days to approve tests ordered by a physician.

Maury Herrera Homestead, FL

aetna lies to there insured . My story and you be the judge. Three months ago my Primary Doctor called me the Aetna was dropping them from their Network. I called to find out what was happening because I have had my Primary Doctor for the last 15 years. aetna said that wasn’t true and for three months they lied I just got a letter with less then 10 days to pick one of two doctors from the letter.Not alot of time. I picked another Provider Named Simple Compete. Shame on you aetna for blatantly lying to your insured. Stay clear of these Aetna

Caleb Chattanooga, TN

After multiple instances of dealing with Aetna's customer service, I have determined it is one of the worst companies I've ever had to deal with on a purely customer service basis. The "logic" behind their decisions--even after appeal, documentation presented, etc.--clearly demonstrates that the company isn't interested in helping its 'customers,' or anyone else but itself. The company is only driven by its bottom line and profit margins and has no interest in listening to the reasoning, requests, or demonstrated needs of its customers. I pay several hundreds of dollars/month in premiums to this company...I'm far from a freeloader. The treatment I've received by the company is beyond bad. The processes they have in place are designed to exhaust customers and to prevent any objections to their decisions simply because of the red tape involved. If I had the option to give zero stars, I would. In fact, I would give negative stars if that were a thing. I cannot express how terrible this company is with words.

Larry Wenhold

I’m now age 77 and have Aetna. In 2015 I had open heart surgery at Doylestown Heart Hospital. I only had a small deductible and Aetna took over, and they were outstanding. Not one complaint. In 2016 my wife had knee replacement, and again we were truly amazed as they picked up everything with small deductible. Recently had gall bladder surgery at Doylestown Hospital. As usual, Aetna just worked as smooth as glass. Amazing, a few days after leaving hospital, Aetna provided us with 14 free meals as part of our coverage. Wow! Aetna pays my fees at local YMCA with silver sneakers. We have plans C which INCLUDES DRUG coverage. Most of our prescriptions have NO co pay. We pay $72 each monthly. At my age it is hard to say WOW, but Aetna has performed better than could be expected. Luv Aetna. 👍🇱🇷

Joe Fredericksburg, VA

HORRIBLE! They denied payment for an emergency room visit when I WAS UNCONSCIOUS and taken by ambulance. They denied payment for a one night stay in the hospital. Apparently they know more than doctors who spend more than 8 years in medical school. I have a medical condition that flares up from time to time rendering me unable to make decisions.

Ken Rundus Carrollton, TX

This is the worst health care company in the US. It gives US health care a bad reputation. The make you go through layers of approvals waisting doctors time and delays patient care by weeks and sometimes months. Please do not take the bait and choose this company for your employees. Everyone suffers and pays more in dollars, time , and lack of quality and timely care.

TIGRAN TT Prairieville, LA

Aetna is not a realiable company, terrible in communication and doesn't care about their customers. I had to pay hundreds of dollars for lab works, simply because I wasn’t informed before the visit that aetna wasn’t going to cover them because of this specific lab work facility. They could just tell me we don't work with this provider so take your lab work to Quest for example. That simple communication would've save me money and make me satisfied customer instead. I was told to follow appeal process wich was a total waste of time. Not sure why they want these paper forms mailed instead of being communicated electronically. No wander why it took over 1 month for them to respond my appeal. Wish I had a choice for another healthcare provider with my employer.

Amore San Antonio, TX

Aetna is JEOPARDIZING my health and future. Don’t understand why they are making it so difficult for an MRI to be approved. I need this asap in order for my doctor to understand what steps to take in order for my arm to have mobility again. I’ve been on the phone with Aetna since 9:00 am, it’s 11:49 Am and I am still on hold. I am in a lot of pain from my arm complications and here I am trying to get an MRI approved. I submitted an appeal to a voicemail. Yep, if you want to submit an appeal you have to leave a voicemail. Health insurance is a fraud. They take your money and make it difficult for you to get the best care possible. AETNA YOU JUST WANT OUR MONEY, right?! But don’t want to provide the benefits our money is paying for!!!

Lisa Gagnon Slidell, LA

I will give two stars because the majority of the customer services reps I spoke to did try to help. Now here is my official review since being an Aetna hmo dual preferred snp member in February of 2022. So I originally had to change from Humana because I am on a supplement and when I move Humana was not in my area. Aetna after talking to the representative had everything I needed ( so I thought). Well after two months I finally found a primary care physician that I have to drive for 35 miles to when I live in a big metropolitan area. I still do not have a mental health therapist. The only one they could find so far is the mental health clinic from the health department that you go in at 7 and wait to be seen all day. I am not doing that. If I wanted to go to the free clinic I would not have insurance. Not being offensive to the free clinic because I have used them before. I have called every one in the book and got crickets from them as what to do next. I am blessed that my old pychiatrist was in network and I can do tellamed with him so I am still medicated. I have to drive 40 miles to a dentist who was in network and don’t know how that is going to turn out since I have a dental fear. Over all I am highly disappointed with the Aetna plan and may have to find a new plan soon.

Mrthnmn Norwood, MA

The really poor coverage may be my wife's employer's choice to save themselves a lot of money but the on-line Caremark pharmacy is dreadfully inefficient and incompetent. They frequently require new prescriptions when their own site shows refills available. When they have to communicate with the doctor they do it via FAX. How many hospitals still have FAX machines?! And when you wind up having to call them they have the most-up-to-date system for torturing the customer. Oh. And the web site doesn't work very well. Good luck trying to find your doctor with their search engine, which you're required to do when requesting a prescription renewal.

Lh Williamstown, NJ

Aetna pop medicare sent me to hearing care solutions to find an in network hearing doctor that would cover exam and hearing aids. They sent me to nation and nation made the appointment guaranteed me they were covered. I went to the appointment and guess what they weren't. I made them call hearing care solutions right while I was sitting there. Hearing care said they have no record of me ever calling!!! Are you kidding me? I have the 4 phone calls to them in my call log. I would have never gone. I cant believe the lies they told me and the hearing place! Another example of company's taking advantage of seniors how dare them!

KG Lebanon, NJ

Aetna has always been my favorite health insurance company and I am sad to say that my employer is no longer using Aetna after this year. I am very sad about it. Aetna has always paid any claims that I have submitted and I always felt that I could count on Aetna. Whether using the nurse line or asking a question about my benefits and coverage customer service has always been great and has always done their best to explain thing that I just didn’t get. I’m sad to leave Aetna and hope that the new health insurance company we have to use is half as helpful as Aetna has been.

Troy Miami Beach, FL

Unfortunately nothing good to say about Aetna. Their lack of admitting making a mistake and costing me a lot of money is shocking. And this 3 months after I'm not a member of theirs anymore! Happily not a member anymore and won't ever be!

Elaine OConnnor Reading, PA

When my husband’s union was with Blue Cross I never had to pay anything after the $250 deductible was met. Then they switched to Aetna, who decided my cardio echo bill exceeded the maximum Atena allows. Be prepared to pay for anything you have done as Aetna will only cover part of it.

Bea Cruz Los Angeles, CA

They have the worst service ever. My secondary insurance approved an epidural for my lower back. They have denied me services for this procedure. I spoke to my primary doc who will now refer to have an MRI & an orthopedic surgeon. Stay away from this insurance I can’t wait until December so my husband can remove me from this poor excuse of an insurance plan.

Alex Hanlin Houston, TX

As a healthcare provider, we bill Aetna when our patient informs us. Recently billed a claim and received payment from Aetna...BUT.... Aetna is too cheap to include an EOB. So I had to go into Availity to enter specific data to see who this $3000 payment was for. Availity is having problems internally and we can not download or print the EOB. So....we've been sitting on a $3000 check ALL week because we don't know who it belongs to. The Aetna rep's advise was to call Availity. WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER !!!!!!

K Wildau

I am appalled at the poor service of this company, I spent over SEVEN hours on the phone trying to enroll or reenroll (deepening on whom I spoke with ) in partD Drug Plan. I spoke to so many people that I lost count. Everyone told me something different. We were enrolled, we weren't, we would be, we owed money, we didn't owe anything, they would send confirmation but when I gave them the confirmation number, they couldn't find any record. I was transferred so many times. It was the. most painful consumer experience I have ever had. I am a retired lawyer and years ago, Aetna was a client of my firm. If I were still there , I would fire them. Someone ought to have a look at how they operate.

Stanley Speed Fairbanks, AK

Just got my wife set up with Aetna purchased through DOD NAF from my new job. The policy is for myself and my wife. But as a veteran only my wife will be using. Aetna denied every one of her prescriptions some of which were generics which Aetna wanted replaced with other generics. Some were to be replaced with notably less effective drugs with significantly more side effects. This is the third time we have had Aetna. It has been a [email protected]$ show every time. We have had to call the pharmacy customer service line 5 times and each time there is a very polite person reading the same script about how they’re going to fix it. And then we review the prescriptions and they are wrong. Some of this involves emergency local prescriptions because my wife was supposed to have coverage beginning the end of 2021, but the didn’t her into the system until February. Her emergency prescriptions have still not been filled.

b. p. Anderson, IN

I switched over to Aetna on Jan. 1st. It is a complete and total disaster. Apparently, they have outsourced all of their customer service to the lowest bidder. If they call you your caller ID will identify them as spam. If you pick up the phone you won't be able to understand a single word that is being said. Website is a much bigger disaster and must have been designed in the 1980's. Nothing about your account balance or payment due date is there. They ask you to order prescriptions online, but you can't do it. I can't wait to get away from Aetna. This was a huge mistake on my part. Don't make the same one. Don't flee from this giant glob of incompetence run from it at full speed. You'd be better off trying to use Good RX or another free service than dealing with this pathetic mess. When is the next open season - I can't wait?

Roy Robinson Oneonta, NY

Customer service really needs improving because they like to pass the responsivity of a bad issue to the customer, and that's just wrong. Etna and I went around and around about a situation where a Rep. never asked me what card to pay my meds with. I told him NOT to put it on one card in their system, but to put it on another card and I furnished the card info. He , later in the conversation, asked what card did I want to use, but he never asked till the end of our conversation. I had to repeat myself and he still screwed it up. It took me two plus weeks to get the whole thing fixed. In the mean time I had no money to pay my rent because it was a chunk of change for the meds. I was charged twice, two different cards, for the same Rx, then had to fight like hell to get it back. Still no apology from Etna accept an email saying that it was my fault.

John Westerville, OH

Based on today's experience, my opinion of Aetna's pre-certification process is: 1) They value process more than people 2) At least some of their pre-certification rules are written by robots 3) At least some of the pre-certification reviews are conducted by automatons. A surgery was scheduled to remove a device embedded in the body, under tissue and presumable muscle. They would not approve the surgery, based on the information initially provided by the surgeon's office, because : 1) The surgeon did not specify the device was out-of-warranty, when it was actually rendered inoperative by a previous surgery. This presumably caused the device warranty be to voided. 2) The surgeon did not certify the device was not repairable. I'm not sure how you determine whether a device is repairable when it is embedded in a human body, and in any case, presumably it would need to be removed to be repaired, if repairable at all. Makes no sense to me. The additional information requested was provided yesterday, for a surgery scheduled today. The patient was in pre-op awaiting approval, and the response of the pre-certification team was along the lines of: "It would take up to two weeks to make a decision". Unbelievable! The surgeon's office is slow in providing additional information, but Aetna would not do anything to prevent the patient (customer) being inconvenienced. If you are shopping for health insurance based on value, I suspect you can find a provider with somewhat less bureaucracy, and more empathy for the patient. This will be the last year I will use Aetna as our health insurance provider. Aetna has provided fairly decent service in the past, and I gave them many chances to fix this pre-certification issue yesterday and today, but they seem to cling to their bureaucratic procedures, when a simple decision made quickly would have resolved the issue. Another incident like this, which is highly unlikely given the short amount of time until I switch providers, would probably result in a one start rating.

paul twiraga Brockton, MA

I went in to mansfield health care for a follow-up appointment to go over x- trays and blood work for my knee and foot with a aetna ins.$45 co-pay. While there the doctor suggested cortizone shot in my knee, the total time in exam room was 13 minutes. When I got the bill they charged for a surgicle procedure. I called the billing hospital and was informed the mansfield was no longer authorized to do surgical procedures. I called etna insurance and they charged me an additional co-pay of $290 for a day surgery. Getting a shot is not surgery. I have this shot in the past in never charged for a 1 day hospital stay. Aetna refused to change what I was charged and made me pay $290 over what I should have been for a 13 minute office visit. Beware of aetna and what they will make have pay. They work with providers to make you pay excessive co-pays. They don't really care about you just there bottom line.

Pcmimi Baxley, GA

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE ...good insurance coverage. I called today and was transferred to "14" people who could not tell me about the advantage plan. Was on line for 2 hours with them. Would not recommend them unless you have a local agent. My agent passed away 6 months ago and they could not tell me who I could contact locally to take care of me should I have an emergency or questions.

Sathvik Aithala Portland, OR

Good health insurance, premiums are reasonable.

Jean Warech Hickory, NC

Brenda Benson Beulaville, NC

I really appreciate the customer service. When I call I am not put on hold. The rep. was Ester from Cary, NC . She was very patient with me. I had a lot of questions and she answered every one to my satisfaction. She was very polite, friendly and professional. I highly recommend Aetna and Ester.

Patricia Hope

very prompt--reliable and a good value for the cost of the policy and the coverage we need. Without it we would not have the level of care that we have needed. To get in touch with them when we need to is encouraging and dependable that we can rely on at very difficult times because of our health.

Amy Stewart Gilbert, AZ

We had Aetna Health Insurance in the past offered to us through my husbands company and we loved it! It was nice and easy to use and covered all of our health and welfare needs. Every time we needed to go to a specialist it was so helpful that they all accepted Aetna. I like that they are such a wonderful service that many doctors use.

altavise davis Tallahassee, FL

When I broke my toe bone and needed to see an orthopedic I was grateful to have Aetna. Aetna covered everything so that I wouldn’t have to worry . Instead all I needed to do was show up to the doctor and take care of myself just like Aetna took care of me! I recommend people to research Aetna and it’s benefits because they really help you!

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have had Aetna health insurance for a while now. They have great customer service and are very tentative to customer requests. Aetna has various options for insurance, for members of all types of income. I have greatly appreciated my time as a consumer of Aetna.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I had health coverage from Aetna while living in Guatemala a couple of years ago. During my time using their service I felt that the customer service was helpful and considerate of my situation. Their online portal was easy to use and I was able to address claims that I made quickly and easily. Were my employment to provide this Health Insurance plan in the future, I would not be disappointed!

Melissa Morgan , FL

Their customer service is pretty responsive, depending on who you get on the phone. My Aetna plan pays a lot more than other plans I looked at for the things I want such as dental and specialists plus it’s not one of those horrid things where you have to go to a few certain doctors. They need to include more doctors, though. Some that I want to go to aren’t in their program, and I have to pay more, but it’s still very affordable and worth it. They don’t give you the impression you’re being ripped off like some insurance companies do--like it’s a constant battle. Their site is very intuitive and easy to use.

Jennifer Ogden, UT

We have had Aetna for many years now and they are the best health insurance provider we have ever had. The price is the best part but the network of available physicians is a close second. Any time I have ever had a question, customer service has been able to give me straight forward and honest answers very quickly. I would recommend Aetna to anyone looking for a new health insurance provider.

Jeff Justice West Jordan, UT

We switched from a competing health insurance company a few years ago when we moved from my wife's coverage to mine. I'd been with the prior company for many years and was reluctant to change. Really just concerned that I'd walk into lower quality service because we we're saving money. That hasn't been the case. Our family doesn't have any major medical issues, but plenty of routine stuff. And Aetnae coverage has been quick and comprehensive. We've never had any claim issues. That's great in my book!

David R Omaha, NE

I have issues with claims not being processed and/or denied. It has been a nightmare with having to call multiple times. I do not have confidence in my health insurance for myself or my family. I have over 20 claims I am getting billed for and providers calling me to tell me there is a problem with my account. It is truly embarrassing.

kma Chicago, IL

Terrible, terrible, terrible customer service. I have been on the phone for 8 hours trying to get an issue resolved. People either do not speak English and cannot understand my issue, hang up on me, or keep bouncing me around. Some of them tell me one thing, others tell me a different thing. One tells me that a complaint was filed, another tells me there is nothing filed. One sees the notes from previous calls, another tells me there are no notes. Eight hours on the phone and still not issue resolved. Will not be renewing my policy with them.

Mama Mia Lenexa, KS

Aetna has to be the worst health insurance company out there. Their agents continuously gave out false information, made promises they didn't keep and denied, denied, denied coverage, EVEN when they said on the phone something would be covered. Their total lack of care for the client certainly drives one to think, do we really need or want insurance companies anymore.

TWish Palm Bay, FL

Absolutely horrible company, I need and MRI for numbness in my leg, foot, and toes, but they denied it, and then they want you and your physician to jump through hoops to appeal the denial, where they will most likely deny you again, the longer they drag it out, they hope you will give up, that puts more money in their pockets! Stay far away from this dastardly company, they are detrimental to your health!

Lucy G Johnston, RI

I switch to Aetna because they promised me stuff like $25 monthly for healthy food, $45 for over the counter etc and I didn’t receive one of those things United Health provided it same day I rolled in there program!!! They are so way better and give so much more to there members than any other companies. I am not get paid or anything to say that but if your looking for an insurance as once a Aetna customer to a changed to a way better plan UH dual complete $250 for eye exams$150 for over counter meds and healthy food, free smart watch, and $25 for healthy food

jen Brooklyn, NY

Couldnt have had worse experiences with aetna - I was constantly receiving contradicting info form their health concierges, the appeals process is a joke they literally never accept your appeals, customer service people are the least helpful of any company ive ever called, and you'll get massive surprise bills constantly Couldnt wait until my year with aetna ended

Alex GG Milpitas, CA

I was previously at Kaiser and had two prescription for acne for 20 dollars. I then moved to Aetna and found out that the same medicine at CVS will need copay of 170 dollars. After a few more phone calls, aetna told me there was nothing they could do but I just had to pay 170. But they are the same medicine. And the cash price of them together in Kaiser are cheaper than the copay in CVS. It doesn't make sense.

R L New York, NY

When I retired a few years ago. I was given Aetna because I had medicare also. From day 1 it has been nothing but problems and aggravation. So Saturday Jan 8 2022 I go to my doctor. They tell me my insurance is inactive as of 12/31/21. What the hell😠 Call the number they are closed. The Dr calls. No answer. I had to put $95 out of my own pocket for the visit. Someone is going to reimburse me the money. As the screw up as usual is on their end. I hate them for insurance. Worst insurance that I have ever dealt with.

bob pizza Laramie, WY

zero stars is more like it, I have had worse but not by much, they have zero in network providers within 60 miles of me, and even then when I try and call the ones from their site their list is so old and out of date 90+ % are phone numbers that are a dead end, person no longer practices, moved to a different clinic etc etc. when you call for help finding a provider the call center is in India and you can't understand much they are saying but you'll give up shortly anyway after they offer no help and tell you to just see an out of network provider at my expense since they cannot find one. trying to get a hold of someone for pre-authorization of tests is impossible, Ive called dozens of times and never once reached a person that could answer a simple question about coverage for a specific test.

school acc 500 1 Cincinnati, OH

So i schedule an appointment the doctor office/ urgent care for COVID rapid test. This is the closest place around that offers it. They do virtual visits and then have you pull in line to get your COVID TEST. You know for everyones stafety. Aenta wont let you get the COVID TEST on the same day as the virtual meeting, instead it has to be order up and requested for the next day. However Aetna does allow you can get the flu and stripe same day. This doesn't make since to limit Covid test. If I wanted the test today I could pay 125 out of pocket and then try to fight with insurance to pay me back. I have a PPO plan so I don't have to pay out of pocket. My insurance should cover this without having to jump through hoop. The point of the virtual visit is to keep other safe so they can do their jobs and to not spread the virus. Without having the test to confirm what I have, then doctors can't treat it. You at literally putting my life at risk by delaying the test.

Tim A Arlington, VA

There is very little to like. I've appealed a claim twice that Aetna refuses to pay. Aetna has repeatedly failed to acknowledge the error it made - which was Aetna did not provide a procedure quote to my doctor when it was requested by the doctor; had they done so, I would not have had the procedure done as it was almost 100% paid from my pocket and very expensive. Aetna hides behind its process, shuffles people back and forth between departments, and provides pages and pages of narrative without actually resolving the problem. And you can't actually speak to anyone during the appeals process - Aetna doesn't even provide a phone number. My employer has selected Aetna and I've been forced to use them for about 30 years over which time I have paid them ridiculous sums of money because my employer does not subsidize my insurance premiums. I've rarely made a claim and when I did, the claims were insignificant. This year when I actually had to have some expensive procedures done, Aetna didn't support me, the patient. I will continue to recommend to my employer that it drop Aetna. For a company that reported more than $1.7 billion dollars in net income last year, it's appalling. Aetna clearly cares more about making money than it's customers.

Kurt Didenhover Salt Lake City, UT

Aetna has been great as our health insurance provider. Customer service is helpful when questions arise and any issue has been taken care of. They have been great for coverage and to work with.