Founded in 1853, Aetna is a well-established company that currently serves about 46 million customers.

Aetna offers Medicare, Medigap, and Medicaid. It also carries a variety of private insurance plans and offers vision and dental insurance.

Aetna prides itself on providing exceptional customer service.

View Aetna customer reviews below.

If you missed Open Enrollment for 2019, you'll need to see if you qualify for a special enrollment period to purchase health insurance for 2019.

#1 Oscar chevron_right
3.3
#2 BlueCross BlueShield chevron_right
3.6
#3 Select Health chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

Aetna has a large selection of insurance plans. It provides both family and individual plans, as well as benefits that customers can receive through their employer. In this sense, Aetna works directly with both people who are insured and organizations that offer insurance plans.

Covered services on medical plans typically include preventive medical care (visits to a primary care doctor), immunizations, and some hospitalization. Coverage level and cost-sharing specifics vary by policy.

Prescription drug coverage is included with some plans. However, in some cases it may need to be purchased separately.

After entering some personal information about your medical situation, you can get an estimate for how much your health insurance from Aetna would cost and what type of plan you qualify for.

Aetna offers a wide variety of plans. Here are the main types of health plans it offers:

• Children's Health Insurance Program
  • Medicaid
  • Medicare
  • Medigap (Medicare supplement insurance)
  • Long-term and short-term plans
  • Health Maintenance Organization plans (HMO)
  • Preferred Provider Organization plans (PPO)
  • Health Savings Account (HSA)-compatible plans (typically high deductible plans)
  • Network-only plans
  • Network-option plans
  • Indemnity plans (in which you set the terms for which facility you take your insurance to)
  • Retiree plans

Aetna's large range of offerings makes it easy for customers to find the kind of health plan they want.

In addition to health insurance plans, Aetna also offers dental and vision insurance:

Dental insurance is available only in Delaware, Alaska, Arizona, Illinois, and Pennsylvania. Depending on your benefits, you can receive coverage for preventative care (such as cleanings), restorative work (such as fillings), and even major procedures like getting crowns.

Aetna's vision benefits are accepted at Pearle Vision, LensCrafters, JCPenney Optical, Target Optical, and Sears Optical. Again, depending on your plan, your benefits can include coverage for contacts or glasses and eye exams. Aetna also offers stand-alone vision plans.

Finally, Aetna has a variety of other insurance plans to meet the needs of all consumers, including:

• Life insurance
  • Disability insurance
  • Government and labor insurance
  • Student insurance
  • International insurance

Member Resources

When it comes to tools for members, Aetna rises above its competitors. Customer service is an area where this company shines. Not only are Aetna representatives available around the clock through different mediums, but Aetna members also have access to several different tools to get calculations, answers to questions, and advice about claims.

Anyone can search the company's website and get a tour of a member account before registering. This allows you to see what account access would look like.

To see if the physician you currently see is in Aetna's network, there's an intuitive Find a Doctor tool online as well.

It is advantageous for patients to see an in-network provider because there is typically a higher-level of insurance coverage, which means that it costs patients less than seeing an out-of-network doctor.

Aetna members have online access to their account, through which they can pay a premium, view benefits, get an explanation of those benefits, find a doctor, and get an ID card. Online you can also order medications, view the status of a claim, ask questions to a virtual nurse 24/7, and get other estimates if needed.

One of the key benefits here is 24/7 service. Another resource is that you receive discounts for gym memberships and weight loss programs. Aetna also provides tools that help you track your health (for example, by seeing your health history and statistics about your blood pressure). In this sense, Aetna delivers on their claim to keep you healthy (and not just pay for your medical bills).

Unique Features

Unlike some companies, Aetna offers some other types of insurance, such as dental, vision, life, and disability insurance. Customers can meet all of their insurance needs through Aetna.

Aetna also claims to have one of the US's biggest networks of doctors and hospitals. This makes it more likely that the doctor you visit will be in-network for an Aetna plan-or, at least, it makes it so that you have a wide selection of doctors if you need to switch to Aetna's network of primary care physicians and specialists.

Aetna owns several subsidiaries in the healthcare industry. These include:

• Coventry Health Care
  • Humana (which they very recently acquired)
  • ActiveHealth Management
  • Aetna Student Health
  • Schaller Anderson
  • Strategic Resource Company
  • Aetna Capital Management
  • Cofinity
  • Medicity

Once a member, you have easy access to tools like Find a Pharmacy and the iTriage mobile app that Aetna came out with for your on-the-go healthcare needs. Using their Find a Doctor tool, you initially specify your search by state and type of doctor.

Aetna also offers a tool to help you find the right plan for your situation, and there are pages on the website that describe the details of each of the plans.

Aetna prides itself on its customer service. It makes its representatives available to customers via phone, email, mail, and even social media.

There are a few different phone numbers you can use to contact someone at Aetna, but if you're a member, there is conveniently a specific member phone line to call.

At any hour of the day, there is also a virtual nurse available for patients to go online and ask questions. This is more convenient than trying to track down a doctor outside of business hours.

The company website for Aetna is very informative and easy to navigate. Its FAQs sections largely focus on the logistics of managing your account.

Aetna makes it very easy to find an answer if it doesn't already appear on the website. Also, you can expect to contact someone from Aetna 24/7 (using certain mediums) and you will be given information to make the best medical decisions for you.

The Bad

• State Availability
  • FAQs

State Availability

Aetna's plans are only available in certain states (these include Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia). The dental plans are even more limited, being available only in Delaware, Alaska, Arizona, Illinois, and Pennsylvania.

FAQs

Aetna's website does have plenty of FAQs sections, but they do not answer questions about prices, premiums, deductibles, and factors that affect these amounts (rather they focus on the logistics of account management).

This makes sense because premium costs, deductible amounts, and out-of-pocket expenses vary plan to plan and can be affected by demographic information, like age. Aetna's website allows potential clients to view plans available in their state with detailed information about costs and insurance coverage.

The Bottom Line

Paying for health insurance is an important way to reduce overall health expenses, like visits to a primary care physician or in-patient medical treatment.

Aetna is a highly recommended health insurance provider. Not only is its health care plan selection very large, it also provides willing and able customer service. Consumers looking to purchase a private health insurance plan, a Medicaid, Medicare, or Medigap plan will find good options from Aetna.

With a long company history and plenty of member resources, this company is sure to deliver an insurance plan that meets your needs.

Of course, for anyone who lives outside of the states that Aetna plans are available in, this company is not an option.

In terms of location, Aetna is admittedly limited. It would also do well to provide more upfront information to potential customers about prices and deductibles, which are crucial decision-makers in this industry.

View Best Health Insurance Companies

3.2

Kirk
December 11th, 2019 Berlin, NJ DETAILS

I paid less per week with Cigna until my employer changed to Aetna. Now I pay more per week for less coverage. I want my old insurance back. Services that were previously covered with no deductible are now at $50 or $70 per visit. I need up to 6 visits per month! How is that even possible??? I pay more and get less??? I have been a member for about a week and that's all it took to give them a 1 star rating because I couldn't give them a negative 1 or ZERO. Don't buy Aetna!!!

Sara Smith
December 4th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

Everything has been great but getting long term prescriptions has been somewhat of a hassle as they have to be mailed out and it has taken longer than normal.

Juan Lopez
December 4th, 2019 Beaver, PA DETAILS

I have been with aetna for about 5 years now. They have always been my prefered insruance company. There are always many in network hospitals and doctors and i normally don't have any issues with them

Duane
November 26th, 2019 Myrtle Beach, SC

Horrible company. Denies all procedures that need prior approval and makes you go through the ordeal of appealing. They are only concerned about their profits and holds the patient hostage when they need a procedure. Appeal after appeal and keep being told that they need more info when they already have everything. I do not recommend AETNA unless you want to be treated as a second rate individual.

Harry Keyworth
November 25th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Review of prescription coverage for Aetna Coventry ...I'd give Aetna "0" if that were an option. I had a mail order prescription with 6 future approved refills - and placed an order at the final use of that first prescription. Order taken and nothing delivered. Called after two weeks of nothing ...only to be told the Dr. prescribing the prescription did not respond to Aetna's unneeded inquiry - which Dr's office denied. Requested Dr.'s office to regenerate mail order prescription - still no delivery. Upon calling Aetna a third time, they wanted ANOTHER confirmation from Dr - which was again provided. By this time I'm out of my heart medication and subject to stroke. Dr. office agreed to an emergency supply and called local pharmacy - which claim was denied because mail order process had been initiated. After two attempts with pharmacy and Aetna - Aetna would NOT override full payment required with plan's coverage as "Aetna's mail order was not the cause of the delay!" I'm still without medication 5 weeks after previous subscription expired. Throughout this trail, Aetna's representatives were nice but unable or not empowered to assist me as the customer ...and they would not submit the request to a higher authority because the higher authority had already ruled on the issue. I would NEVER recommend subscribing to Aetna Coventry. This is not the first, nor only prescription Aetna has fouled up the delivery. It's not worth the hassle to work with this kind of callous incompetency.

Cindy Schexnider
November 19th, 2019 East Olympia, WA DETAILS

It is open season for many people to be shopping for health insurance. Buyer Beware! We have had the same negative experience with Aetna as I have noticed others on here have, especially when it comes to a major medical cost, and isn't that the purpose of health insurance? They have been denying and stalling a necessary surgery for my husband. Their denials are weak and blatantly wrong, saying he doesn't meet all their guidelines when his Doctors and us can check off every requirement on their check list. Like others have said, they say you can appeal or pursue a civil action. Really? We need a lawyer to get them to pay medical bills? What is their insurance for? Our Doctors and us are completely frustrated and worried for my husband's future. We are confident they are responsible to pay. And we believe they know that as well, but they are pulling every string to stall which could mean permanent disability for my husband if he can't get this surgery soon, potentially even wheel chair bound. This is criminal behavior and we are in the process of filing a complaint with our State Insurance Commissioner. Getting your health insurance to pay what they promise to shouldn't be this painful. Health issues are hard enough without this fight!

Eric Smith
November 8th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

We are always kept informed whenever a claim is submitted. I love their communication with details.

Stacy
November 5th, 2019 Flourtown, PA DETAILS

I received a bill from my doctor for the bloodwork I had done for my annual physical. When I called Aetna, they told me it was denied because I didn't have the bloodwork done in the required 7 day period. I went 10 days after my physical appointment because I already had a scheduled mammogram at the same place and didn't want to miss more work. I explained that I was never informed that the bloodwork had to be within 7 days of the appointment as I have never had Aetna before and asked for an appeal because they could see I did both on the same day. I then asked for them to send me where it is written in my policy that I had to have the bloodwork done within the 7 days. I was then informed that it is not written in my policy. The 7 day rule is an internal rule. I asked for an explanation of how they can penalize a customer when the customer has no idea of this policy. I even called my doctor's office and they have never heard of this before. I am currently in appeal about this but feel something should be done about an insurance company basically scamming it's customers. If you are going to deny my claim because you say I didn't follow the rules, then you should be telling me the rules!

Heidi Stauff
October 16th, 2019 Flowery Branch, GA DETAILS

Worst experience ever. My husband's company switched to Aetna in order for me to get medication and they've done nothing but stonewall us. It's been 2 months now waiting on them to finalize our pre authorization. Everytime you call you get a different story. My doctor dropped me as a patient because of them.

Paul
October 15th, 2019 Miami, FL DETAILS

Horrendous. Total mess and unhelpful. I don’t have a primary care doctor and have been calling them for 2 weeks

Tony Gibson
October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I had Aetna for a couple of years and thought they did a great job supporting us as we needed to use them. They were responsive and quick to pay. They didn't have as large of a network in my area as I would have liked but we were able to make it work.

Jon Scoresby
October 10th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

The coverage was fine. I did have to spend time on the phone to work through a few issues and they always treated me well. Most providers took this insurance.

Brenda Benson
October 4th, 2019 Beulaville, NC DETAILS

I really appreciate the customer service. When I call I am not put on hold. The rep. was Ester from Cary, NC . She was very patient with me. I had a lot of questions and she answered every one to my satisfaction. She was very polite, friendly and professional. I highly recommend Aetna and Ester.

Kate Gregory
October 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Our premiums are high, but our experience is that they have paid for almost every medical appointment, surgery, test, and procedure after our high deductible. The exceptions are the tests we have needed that aren't mainstream tests, such as genetic testing and gadolinium poisoning from MRI contrast (which they paid for). This year, it has been definitely worth it.

Pman
September 30th, 2019 Tallapoosa, GA DETAILS

Aetna does not pay for anything. It would be cheaper to not have to pay insurance and just pay out of pocket.

T Parnell
September 27th, 2019 Smyrna, GA DETAILS

Aetna will not pay for any claims. I have it through my employer and it is the worst. I have no other recourse either. If you can avoid Aetna, please avoid!

Tracey Dulack
September 25th, 2019 Cape Coral, FL DETAILS

Buyer beware-Aetna will deny deny deny any claim u submit -then they expect you to fight for your benefits you already pay for. Claim manager Trenette H is the worst person to manage anything ! let alone your health care claim. They will constantly deny receiving any documents your doc or you might send them to support your claim .. BUYER BEWARE!

Ingrid
September 23rd, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS

Avoid Aetna. The services are skimpy. The website is slow, vague and hard to navigate. No one from member services works on the weekend. Trying to get care is impossible. Poor prescription drugs services. I could not find one positive thing about this coverage.

Toni
September 6th, 2019 Meadville, PA DETAILS

Just as others have stated if I could give them a 0 rating that’s what they would get from me. I was in extreme pain with a neck injury and all the doctors said I needed surgery and they said that they didn’t feel that it was - even after review, they said muscle spasms were not a reason for surgery MUSCLE SPASMS???? What I had was way worse. As soon as I could I changed to UPMC they didn’t blink an eye no argument they paid for it. The doctor told me that he didn’t understand how Aetna could get away with denying a surgery that I needed so badly - a three level neck fusion- and now I am scared for my husband who has recently been diagnosed with cancer . I worry that they won’t approve his treatment . I have no use for Aetna and we have been forced back to them by employers. I worry every day now about medical issues because Aetna is fine with the small stuff but something big happens and they refuse to pay . They disgust me.

Aetna is the worst
September 3rd, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

This company has terrible coverage. Bad customer service, don’t empathize with patient at all. Had an insulin pump that broke, and had to resort to lantus insulin. However, Aetna doesn’t cover this medicine because they are not a preferred partner so I had to pay $320 out of pocket. I called customer service which recommended humalog as a replacement. What idiots - completely different type of insulin. Only reason I use this insurance is because it is offered through my school. Can’t wait to drop them.

M.Pursell
August 27th, 2019 Orlando, FL

Customer service can't find a pcp in 2 cities most convenient for me. They pick a doctor and if it's 30 miles away well too bad for you!! Worst health care I've ever had!! 3 months and I still have no convenient location for a doctor. Save yourself the headache and find someone else...someone who cares. They get 0 stars but that's not an option!!

Tonya Hempstead
August 26th, 2019 DETAILS

I like the flexibility to see any doctor I'd like without obtaining a referral

Rebekah
August 16th, 2019 Lynchburg, VA DETAILS

I have been with them through my employment for over 12 years. I am in general happy with them. However of late, the prescriptions have been a problem. Getting paid and approved. I also am not happy that lab work is done through a 3rd party - Lab corp that I now have to pay.

Maegan Little
August 16th, 2019 Wickliffe, OH DETAILS

I've had a really good experience with them overall. I've now had them with 3 companies over about 10 years.

Robert Lefkowitz
August 16th, 2019 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS

Aetna abandoned my father when he needed them the most. He had a stroke and now they are refusing to pay for 30 days in rehabilitation. Get Medicaid. Update - The Dr. was able to get it overturned

Nanida
August 13th, 2019 King of Prussia, PA

George P is very arrogant, he was rude in our flight couple days ago, he was very disrespectful to all the flight attendant

John
July 22nd, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

I have orders that are in pending stages for days, and sometimes well over a week. These are orders that are flagged with messages like "we are checking inventory to see if we can fill your refill". How vague is that? This was 5 days after the order was placed. In the meantime, for some refill orders, you get random voicemails to call them back, and when you do, they dont need anything from you. Then you have some orders that just dont get processed. Nothing. You log in to check on the status of an order from 2-3 weeks prior and it shows cancelled. You call, and they give you some excuse like the credit card couldnt be processed (it could) or most commonly, they need to update the verification from the doctor (which the doctor's offices just shake their head at). Aetna is a joke, their processes and customer UI are absolutely horrible.

Paige Baldwin
July 10th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

We recently just made the change to Aetna and we love it so far. The coverage is great and the customer service is so helpful with every question or concern that we have. The billing process is always smooth and easy and we’ve never had a problem.

Doug Morgan
June 24th, 2019 Blue Springs, MO DETAILS

Great service, high prices

Courtney Eames
June 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Aetna was very reliable and I felt like they were there to help me. Whenever I have an issue I can just call them.

Sandi
June 12th, 2019 St Louis, MO DETAILS

Only gave Aetna star because you give less. My experience with Aetna is that Aetna is the absolute worst insurance that I’ve ever had ,and I’m 60. I can’t get an MRI 3 times now in the last 3-4 years when 2 different doctors have asked for it (different things wrong) and they refuse to pay any on a medication i was prescribed, and I bought my cpap supplies on line at amazon cheaper than I could get them though Aetna. Extremely the worst insurance out there .But the company I work for got Aetna because they got a good deal , they don’t care what we got to deal with because by law they have to offer us insurance so they got the cheapest one they could fine . Cheap for them ,terrible for us .

Sierra Beck
June 12th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Previous insurances through my husband's work. There site was ok. Really didn't like that EOB page. Hard to see what I was responsible for.

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

We had this son on this insurance while he spent 2 years in Peru. During a time that he was sick there, he was able to visit with 2 doctors after being the victim of a couple medical emergencies. This insurance company was very on top of things and were able to quickly assess the situation. Authorization as pushed to local doctors and help was able to be given. I am very grateful for the affiliation that this service has with young people like my son.

Jacob Shaner
June 10th, 2019

I used Aetna while abroad in Indonesia for a few years. I was able to get coverage when visiting the several different hospitals. I was impressed that it was accepted out of the United State. The organization I was with provided the insurance.

Teresa LeBaron
June 7th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL DETAILS

Our first time using Aetna health insurance. So far we are happy and have had good customer. service.

Shirley
June 5th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS

The process of claim is really slow, and response of call and message is also really slow!

Nicole LeBaron
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Aetna I recently just got, and I was a bit disappointed. They are not as good as some other health insurance companies I have had. My prescription that I take monthly was significantly more than what I wanted. As a college student that is a bit hard on my budget.

Prav
May 22nd, 2019 Charlottesville, VA DETAILS

If I could give 0 star! After paying $600.00 per month and $800.00 deductible, I'm charged $30.00 for each visit to Doctor's office, Absolute rip off. And most of services are covered max to 80%. Please run away from this insurance company as fast as you can. Oh forgot to mention horrible horrible customer service.

Elisa Vakapuna
May 21st, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Aetna is a great company and their service is good as well. We recommend Aetna to others

Lori
May 17th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Aetna has been a good health insurance for us. We have had many different kinds of insurances because of different jobs and Aetna is one of the better ones. Our monthly payment is pretty good but the best part is we were able to keep our same doctors.

Scott
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Great health insurance, great price, and great network. I currently have Aetna health insurance for my family and have nothing but good things to say about them. I have had some bad experiences in the past but Aetna is a breath of fresh air.

Craig
May 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

At a previous job we were covered by Aetna. I was pleased with the price but a little turned off by the network of providers. That is the only reason I am only giving 4 stars. We had to switch our Pediatrician because of him being out of network. Other than that, they were great!

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We had an Aetna policy a while back and it seemed to be just alright. We felt like it was a bit overpriced for the options it gave us. We ended up with some high out of pocket expenses that probably could have been avoided with another insurance company.

Bailey Jones
May 10th, 2019 Odessa, TX

if i were able to choose no stars i would this company/insurance is absolutely horrible. my mother has been dealing with neck issues for 10 years and just now was able to figure out that she is needing surgery, they would not approve her surgery because they thought it wasnt medically necessary yet her neurosurgeon has told her is is absolutely needed. These people are rude and ignorant i do not recommend this insurance at all!!!! THEY ARE HORRIBLE!

Jennifer
May 10th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We have had Aetna for many years now and they are the best health insurance provider we have ever had. The price is the best part but the network of available physicians is a close second. Any time I have ever had a question, customer service has been able to give me straight forward and honest answers very quickly. I would recommend Aetna to anyone looking for a new health insurance provider.

Shannon
May 9th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Have been happy but now their new Rx policy is costing us a fortune! So sad they continue to give less service for the amount of the premium.

Junior
May 2nd, 2019 Merced, CA DETAILS

Worst experience ever. I pay $35 weekly and you guys still dont cover me fully like you guys said. Rip off. Never again i will do this company.

Dave P
April 15th, 2019 Franklin, TN DETAILS

Aetna provides excellent benefits -- on paper. Unfortunately, it is their adjusters (not you or your doctor) that deem care "medically necessary". Seems crazy.

Eliza Anne Jones
April 15th, 2019 Provo, UT

I called customer service recently for some questions regarding my insurance coverage inside and outside of the country. The employee on the line was difficult to understand, but ended up being very helpful.

Lindsay
April 12th, 2019 Monroe, GA DETAILS

I was scheduled to have surgery on my cervical spine after doing everything else to help with the pain like physical therapy and taking years of pain pills and muscle relaxants. My right arm stays tingly, so it's now affecting my nerves and dangerous when I drive cause I have limited motion in my neck, however they denied my claim the day before surgery (after I already paid the doctor portion and did my pre op), I had everything arranged through my work and other people on taking care of me during the recovery time. The insurance knew 3 weeks prior to surgery, but chose to wait the day before. I'm trying to avoid a life on pain pills and pain. The insurance has no problem taking my money, so I'm covered, but refuses to use money to help make me better. Terrible insurance!!