Freedom Debt Relief, a subsidiary of Freedom Financial Network, has resolved billions in debt since its founding in 2002.

The company has considerable industry experience and high client satisfaction ratings.

With all the major industry accreditations, Freedom Debt Relief is a great option for many consumers. Its minimum debt requirement is $7,500. Freedom Debt Relief accepts clients dealing with financial hardship that meet this threshold and clients that can make regular payments to an account to pay for settlements. Freedom Debt Relief employs professional debt experts to negotiate and settle debt for those suffering financial hardship.

The company offers a debt settlement program that involves negotiating with creditors to lower total debt owed and is available in 38 states.

On average, Freedom Debt Relief charges 22 percent of your total enrolled debt, which means the cost varies depending on your financial situation. To settle a $20,000 debt, it will cost around $4,000.

View Freedom Debt Relief reviews below.

The Good

• Excellent Settlement Program and Debt Relief Services
  • Experience and Accreditations
  • Great Freedom Debt Relief Reviews
  • Online Dashboard
  • No Fees Charged Until After Debt is Settled

Excellent Settlement Program and Debt Relief Services

Freedom Debt Relief has several great advantages to its debt settlement services including:

• Low minimum of $7,500 in debt to begin debt settlement
  • Costs between 15 and 25 percent of the total unsecured debt
  • Free consultation with a Certified Debt Consultant

Freedom Debt Relief offers a free consultation with a highly trained, IAPDA-certified debt consultant when a consumer decides to enlist the company's debt settlement services.

Experience and Accreditations

As an accredited debt relief company, Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) has over 17 years of experience in the debt settlement industry. It has settled over two million accounts since its founding and regularly settles over 50,000 accounts monthly.

Freedom Debt Relief has years of experience standing between the creditor and the client. Freedom will work to obtain settlements that resolve credit card debt (or any type of unsecured debt).

FDR will walk clients through the debt settlement process: first, customers will voluntarily choose to stop making monthly payments to lenders. Instead, clients will elect to make a monthly deposit into a separate special purpose account to save money to pay for the settlements once negotiated. Freedom Debt Relief will then work to negotiate a settlement on behalf of its clients.

Unfortunately, this settlement process will affect your credit score. If you miss any minimum payments on your credit card or other debt, this will decrease your credit score. It's smart to have a plan for boosting your credit before you start the debt settlement process.

If you choose a debt settlement plan to resolve your debts, the debts you settle are marked as "settled" on your credit report.

While there are some risks to debt settlement, this process allows you to settle debts, avoid bankruptcy, and become debt-free.

Great Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Most Freedom Debt reviews on Best Company are positive. They commend FDR for having good customer service, explaining debt management, and keeping them updated on where they are at in the debt settlement program.

Clients drowning in high amounts of unsecured debt (credit card debt, personal loans, medical debt, student loan debt) usually find that the company can save a large percentage of what they owe.

Despite the debt settlement program's tendency to negatively affect credit scores, clients with mountains of credit card debt find it extremely helpful for debt reduction. It's also important for people to know that forgiven debt is considered taxable income, so you may owe more in taxes when using debt settlement services.

Online Dashboard

One feature that sets FDR apart from the rest is a unique and intuitive online dashboard to track clients' pace throughout the program. This helps people to actually see their progress while settling their debts. It also offers education to help clients improve their financial knowledge.

Not many debt settlement companies in the industry offer such helpful tools.

No Fees Charged Until After Debt is Settled

As opposed to a debt consolidation company which consolidates all of a customer's debt into one consolidation loan and one monthly payment, debtors approach Freedom Debt Relief as a last resort in order to escape high amounts of debt and avoid declaring bankruptcy.

Freedom Debt Relief doesn't charge any fees until after debt is settled with creditors. This practic is standard for the industry. Debt Relief companies, like National Debt Relief and Pacific Debt, also do not have upfront fees.

Upon enrollment, customers will open an FDIC-insured bank account that the client controls. Clients will put all of their money that would have gone toward paying their debt into this bank account instead. This is the main reason why this program hurts your credit score more than debt consolidation.

Next, FDR or its representatives or agents will negotiate with your creditors to settle on debt to pay.

Freedom Debt Relief makes money by charging fees on the enrolled debt amount. Its average fees are a bit high (around 22 percent fees on enrolled debt), but its services are thorough.

The company's ability to help clients find an easier road to financial freedom and paying off debt is highly valuable.

The Bad

• Freedom Debt Relief Cost
  • Limited Availability
  • Complaints
  • Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Lawsuit

Freedom Debt Relief Cost

One concern with Freedom Debt Relief is their price. On average, Freedom Debt Relief charges $4,000 to settle $20,000 in debt (22 percent of total debt). If Freedom Debt Relief cuts your debt in half, you would end up paying $14,000 instead of $20,000.

Users are charged an average of 22 percent of their total debt to use FDR. While this number is in line with their competitors, it is only an average. Customers could end up paying more or less than this to use FDR. FDR’s prices range between 15 and 25 percent. The rates vary depending on the state the client lives in.

Current national debt relief trends indicate that debt settlement companies tend to charge a percentage of enrolled debt as opposed to saved debt. This means that the more total debt you have, the more debt settlement companies will charge you.

Although working with a debt settlement company still saves you from paying thousands of dollars to creditors, it's better to work with companies that charge a percentage of saved debt rather than enrolled debt.

So exactly how much will Freedom Debt Relief cost you? It will cost you around 22 percent of your total enrolled debt, but customers will have to have a consultation to get an accurate estimate. The fee is competitive for the industry. The fee is assessed when a successful settlement is reached.

However, Freedom Debt Relief’s services are high quality and make it easier to make your way to being debt-free.

Limited Availability

Freedom Debt Relief offers debt settlement programs in only 38 states. If Freedom Debt Relief does not offer services in your state, you'll have to consider other debt settlement companies.

Most debt settlement companies have a minimum debt requirement to ensure a payout. A debt settlement company that charges by saved debt will not run into this problem as much.

Freedom Debt Relief requires a minimum debt amount of $7,500 (the amount of which is charged fees between 15 and 25 percent). While this threshold is low compared to other debt settlement companies, it does rule out people struggling with lower debt amounts.

An additional limitation with Freedom Debt Relief is that the company only works with debtors with unsecured debt. Freedom Debt Relief is not an option for those struggling with secured debt.

Complaints

While most of the Freedom Debt Relief reviews are positive, there are still several people who have complaints about Freedom Debt Relief. The two main complaints clients seem to have are the following:

• Debt settlement takes too long or isn't as effective as people hoped
  • FDR charges too much for their services, sometimes costing consumers up to 25 percent of their total enrolled debt

These complaints are fairly common within the debt settlement industry. It’s important for clients to be fully informed about what debt settlement is and how it works. Potential clients should use the free consultation to learn more about the time it takes to reach a settlement and specific price information.

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Lawsuit

In 2019, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Freedom Debt Relief reached an agreement that FDR would:

• Make it clear that in some cases FDR may not be able to negotiate a debt if the creditor is unwilling to negotiate
  • Let consumers know that, in some cases, the creditor will only negotiate if the client is also directly involved in the negotiations, and that the consumer has the right to refuse to participate in the negotiations and can remove the debt from their program without penalty
  • Make it clearer to consumers under what circumstances they will be charged a fee
  • Stop charging fees on all accounts where the settlement amount was not reduced, or where the creditor wrote off the debt on their own
  • Make it clearer to consumers that, if they end their program early, any money left in their program savings account belongs to them, minus any funds earned by the company according to legal statues
  • Pay restitution money to injured consumers
  • Pay a civil penalty

It's a good idea for potential clients to do some research on the process, consumers' rights, and industry standards for settlement companies before setting up a free consultation with a debt settlement service. It's also recommended to read recent customer reviews to get a better sense of Freedom Debt Relief's commitment to clients and how good its settlement services are.

The Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief offers several outstanding features for anyone looking to settle their debts: all major industry accreditations, ample debt settlement experience, thoughtful and experienced debt consultants, negotiation with each creditor, and more. The company's 15 to 25 percent fees are pretty standard in comparison to other debt settlement companies (like National Debt Relief).

While people interested in other debt resolution methods, like credit counseling, a debt management plan or debt consolidation loan, will need to consider other companies, Freedom Debt Relief is a good option for those seeking a debt settlement program.

FDR's debt negotiation experience is worth the money. Freedom Debt Relief customer reviews relate that the company has saved them thousands of dollars by negotiating with their creditors. If you're looking to settle your debt through debt negotiation, we highly recommend using Freedom Debt Relief if you receive a reasonable quote from them during your free consultation.

Call our recommended rep over at Freedom Debt Relief below.

Freedom Debt Relief Frequently Asked Questions

What is Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom Debt Relief is a debt settlement company. We offer a debt settlement program that helps you get out of debt faster and for less. With over 15 years of experience working to reduce our clients’ debt, we have resolved over $10 billion in debt since 2002.

How does the Freedom Debt Relief program work?

After signing up for Freedom Debt Relief, you make monthly deposits into an FDIC-insured bank account that you own and control. Once enough money has built up into this account, negotiations occur towards resolving each of your debts one by one. Once a settlement offer is obtained, we present the offer for you to sign off on. If you agree to the terms, the funds in your FDIC-insured account are used to pay the creditor. This is also when we collect our fee. Once the creditor has been paid according to the settlement agreement, the remainder of the debt is written off. We repeat this process with all of your debts until you no longer owe anything on your enrolled debts.

How does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?

Freedom Debt Relief could negatively impact your credit as your creditors are not being paid every month. As such, they will report your missed payments to the credit bureaus, which negatively impacts your score. If you are already behind on payments, however, your credit is already negatively affected, so you should take that into consideration.

How much does Freedom Debt Relief cost?

Our fee ranges from 15%-25% of the debt, depending on the state you live in, how much you owe, and other factors. Under no circumstances, however, will you pay us our fee in advance of a settlement on a debt.

What kind of debt does Freedom Debt Relief work with?

Debt from credit cards, medical bills, department store cards, and many other types of unsecured debt could qualify for Freedom Debt Relief. However, secured debt that involves collateral, including auto loans, mortgages, and federal student loans, do not qualify.

What happens if a creditor tries to sue me during settlement?

Since you’ve stopped making payments to your creditors, there’s a chance that they may sue you in an attempt to collect what you owe them. Freedom Debt Relief makes available to its clients an optional subscription to a legal network of lawyers, which could help in these instances where you get sued.

Is forgiven debt taxable?

According to the IRS, a forgiven debt is considered taxable income. At the end of the year, they will expect taxes to be paid on any settled debt. However, IRS Form 982, Reduction of Tax Attributes Due to Discharge of Indebtedness, may exempt you from this tax. To learn how forgiven debt could affect your taxes, talk to a tax professional.

Cheryl Hobbs
June 17th, 2016 Perry, MO

Freedom Debt Relief has now settled 2 of our accounts at a greatly reduced amount. It makes us feel good and relieved to reduce our debt.

Michael Iseler
June 15th, 2016 Farmington, MI

This is a great company they have meat and exceeded all my expectations I highly recommend to anybthat needs help getting their finances in order

Tahasia McCullough
June 15th, 2016 Huntington Station, NY

Thanks to freedom I'm clearing up my debt faster!! They are the best!!

AIDA TIRADO
June 10th, 2016 Garnerville, NY

Resolving my debts and managing to pay off my creditors without having to go into bankruptcy.

dtnks
June 10th, 2016 Seal Beach, CA

This so far has been a great experience. I have one had one issue from a Debt collector. They have continued to call both work and cell phone. I am assuming that FDR will get to them soon, I just ignore the calls. But, FDR has taken care of the rest and I am happy with what they have done so far.

Joan Boright
June 10th, 2016 Liverpool, NY

Every thing that they tell you about the debt consolidation is true. They help you solve this problem so that you can sleep better at night and not worry about your debts. Joan.

ANH TUYET TANG
June 8th, 2016 San Diego, CA

I have been helped very seriously with the staff during the time filling out my application. The customer service was great when I called to ask questions. I would recommend this service to all my friends. Thank you so much for helping me out to pay my debt. Please keep up the good work.

S.G
June 8th, 2016 Sugar Land, TX

I am no longer with Freedom. I was with these people 4 months and they tried to make a settlement with one creditor. I got 2 different settlements. I tried calling these people no response and I e-mailed these people no answer. Before I cancelled with Freedom they should have made the one payment but they did not. I had to make the payment. For 4 months I paid in almost 2000.00 and I was lucky to get back some of it. I am on a fixed income and this hurt. Social security does not pay much for me to have lost this, The creditors that I talked to had not been contacted the 4 mos. I did good when I called my creditors myself. Freedom is for some people but it was not for me.

Christine Derdarian
June 8th, 2016 Bloomfield Hills, MI

The customer service I quite good. I would rate it an 8. The delivery of services regarding working with creditors is also quite good. I would rate it an 8.

Fern Rogers
June 2nd, 2016 Rome, NY

They were so patient going through the process. Any questions I have they are more than happy to answer. I have recommended them to a few friend's.

David Vigo
May 26th, 2016 Kenner, LA

Getting settlements a little slow but great when it starts Get communication prior to a settlement. Looking forward to financial freedom

Shamalee Lovelace
May 25th, 2016 Garden City, MI

Customer service is great. They tend to my every needs on the spot. They make feel comfortable and they follow up on their promises/word.

S Aft
May 23rd, 2016 Grand Haven, MI

Customer service promises you the world but they do not deliver. I have called for 7 weeks to try and get a negotiation that I got a court summons on. I even gave them $1000.00 to put against it that account. I have gotten the run around over and over. Very poor Customer Service!

Melvin Blackstock
May 20th, 2016 Allen, TX

My wife and I are very impressed with the overall experience that we have had so far. Customer Service has been a great help in their talking with me when I call them to tell them about a letter or phone call I have received from creditors or collection agencies. They continue to reassure us that these are the tactics they use to try to get us to call them. FDR has called me a couple of times to just chat with me to make sure I am okay with the progress thus far and to answer any questions that I might have. We would recommend FDR to anyone who is looking for this kind of help.

Cyndi
May 19th, 2016 Buffalo, NY

I am more than happy how things are going... Thank you for this opportunity to get my debt under control

Harold E Blankenship Sr
May 16th, 2016 Harrisonburg, VA

Always been helpful and uses plain English

Julieanne Davidson
May 16th, 2016 Poughkeepsie, NY

Overall I have been happy with what you have done so far. However, I have asked several times for you to contact the MHVF credit union as I am have gotten final notices from them. I have not heard from them or from you regarding this account. I would like to hear a little more of what is happening. I can not afford to have wages garnished etc. T

Sandy A
May 11th, 2016 Hockley, TX

I cannot express how happy I am with the service I have received from FDR. I was told it would be at least four months before anything would "happen", but I got my first settlement offer within the first month! A second followed shortly after. The fees charged are well worth it in my opinion. I don't have to do anything - just keep the affordable payments going and sit back while FDR does the work. I have a long way to go, but I have confidence that I will be debt free in the time estimated.

Merritt Cortello
May 11th, 2016 Lakeland, FL

I am happy with the progress we are making, but I left a message on my dashboard and no one ever responded. When I called customer service (Blanca, I think), she had me email her the information I had received concerning a settlement. I got a return email saying she had received the information, but I have not heard anything since...

Renae Siemek
May 10th, 2016 Denver, CO

I have been very pleased with Freedom Debt Relief and how my debt is a priority with the company. When I have a concern, I can call or email and my concerns are addressed promptly. Good job!

Jerome F. Davis
May 10th, 2016 Baltimore, MD

Every associate with Freedom has been professional, understanding, patient and helpful. Each time I have spoken to as associate about a problem with being contacted by some of my creditors I have always felt relief and confidence in Freedom

William Kramp
May 10th, 2016 Huntington Beach, CA

I am very pleased with the process and how my debt is being resolved. I don't know what else to say at this time. I am still early in the program and have a long way to go but feel very confident with my choice in Freedom Debt Relief to help me through this stressful time. Thank you Freedom Debt Relief.

Donna Griffin
April 27th, 2016 Luling, LA

This has been the most stress free and professional experience under the circumstance I am going through.. This has been such a blessing for my family.. Thanks sooo much..

Gene Thurow
April 25th, 2016 Phoenix, AZ

My wife and I want to thank the staff at Freedom Debt Relief for an awesome job on getting us out from under a big rock. We are very pleased with the whole process.

Kimberly Allen
April 20th, 2016 Longmont, CO

So far, I've settled 2 of my many debts. The people at Freedom Debt Relief are so helpful, and they don't make me feel bad about the financial mess I got myself into. They even sent me a birthday card full of encouragement from their staff.

Peter Rodriguez
April 15th, 2016 Chesapeake, VA

I could not be happier the way freedom debt has handled my accounts and the speed in which its being handled, the negotiation are meeting my expectations, Thank you freedom debt relief

Jamie L Haynes
April 13th, 2016 CA

Freedom, has helped in reducing a considerable amount of debt that I had. It took some time to get started but once the settlements started they have been steady. I appreciate all that is being done on many behalf, my stress level has gone down considerably.

Rashika Serenity
April 13th, 2016 Philadelphia, PA

I have only been involved with FDR for less than a year and they have already helped me to settle two major debt issues. I am EXTREMELY grateful for the assistance that I have received from FDR. Without this program, I might have given up on trying to catch up on my bills. FDR representatives are always very polite and they are easy to get in contact with. The website is also very easy to access and understand. Also, FDR saved me way more money than what they charge for their assistance. I would recommend that anyone hard working person who needs help with debt issues use FDR'S program.

Laurie Montanye
April 11th, 2016 Las Vegas, NV

I am glad to hear there are some people that got help from this company... My experience was horrible.. I paid 939.00 per month for almost a year... I knew my unemployment would not support that much of a payment so I had asked for a lower payment and run it a little longer... They DROPPED me because I would not be successful if I could not meet that large payment. End result, they received 8900.00 from me and paid NO ONE.. I ended up with 2 judgements because they did not try to negotiate to pay anything and a few of the creditors worked with me and I ended up paying less than the discount I was promised by Freedom Debt... I was not able to get anyone to give me any information about the funds they received... So, to my knowledge they paid no one on my behalf and they are 8900.00 richer for it... I believe in Karma.... I do not recommend this company... Creditors are not the demons they want you to believe...

Larry Coleman
April 7th, 2016 New Berlin, IL

So glad we made the decision to have Freedom Debt Relief help us. It's been a very easy process and everyone is so nice and helpful.

nelson bermudez
March 30th, 2016 Daly City, CA

all the staff of freedom debt relief are very courteous, helpful to clients and very knowledgeable in their work. I will for sure recommend FDR to my friends.

paula hollinger
March 30th, 2016 Elkhart, IN

Helthepful, took some of my stress off my shoulders! Staff were kind and helpful! The phone calls from certain collcollections is what I did not like!

KATHRYN GUTIERREZ
March 23rd, 2016 Houston, TX

I am so pleased with freedom debt. They call me every now and then and congratulate me on doing so well. When one of the vendors make an offer and I don't answer right away (because I dont check email everyday) they text me and then I jump on it. Overall a great experience to my bad situation. Best decision I ever made.

Richard D
March 23rd, 2016 Aliso Viejo, CA

Freedom Debt Relief is an amazing Company. They all work as a Team. They are kind, and recognize real hardship. I highly recommend this highly professional Team.

Aven
March 23rd, 2016 Grand Junction, CO

I'm almost done with my debt relief program and this was the best thing I could of done. I was over $30,000 in debt and I didn't want to file bankruptcy because these where my bills and I needed to pay for them, but not the high interest. FDR has been easy to work with for the past 3 years and I still have another year to go. They answer all my question each an very time, fax me the forms or email the forms that I need to sign. I never have received a phone call from a creditor. Thank you FDR for a peace and quite.

Monna Ewing
March 15th, 2016 Oklahoma City, OK

I have been treated with the utmost respect by Freedom Debt Relief. They are always so efficient and concerned with helping me. They came into my life when I had lost hope and they have given me hope that I can become debt free. I am so thankful for their helpm

Ashley Johnson
March 15th, 2016 Bell, CA

This is an amazing program for anyone suffering from anxiety due to their credit card bills. It does take some patience because they are negotiating with companies, but when you see the settlements start happening, you start feeling the sense of relief. They have great staff and customer service reps ready to answer any questions you have, and settle any fears as well. Overall, an amazing program!

Jennifer H
March 9th, 2016 Maple Grove, MN

A smooth, easy process with so much help along the way! The people I have dealt with are friendly, professional and nonjudgmental! Thank you for that!

Sandy
March 9th, 2016 Waverly, IA

Excellent customer service skills! I always get all of my questions answered immediately when I call Freedom! I am extremely satisfied with Freedom!

Melanie
March 8th, 2016 Clinton Township, MI

The representative, Ross that helped us enroll was very helpful. He made the process easy and answered any questions we had. The only downside is that we weren't expecting it to take as long as it has to see settlement offers come in. We were anxious to see things start to happen. We enrolled in June and we got our first offer in January and the second in February. Hopefully, we will continue to see 1 or more a month until get to the last one. 2 down, 5 to go. Thanks FDR for reducing or debt.

Cynthia
March 3rd, 2016 Westland, MI

I'm having a great experience dealing with Freedom Debt Relief. Every time I call and talk to a representative, they have been respectful and very knowledgeable about my cases. I am very happy I choose to work with Freedom Debt Relief.

Bob Molino
February 29th, 2016 Arlington, VA

Freedom is a good company. Gets expected results and service. Accredited, however, does not honor its claim to keep in touch and help with any problems you may have with Freedom. A useless appendage.

Riley Bourdon
February 29th, 2016 Detroit Lakes, MN

They have been great to work with. I lost my job and they allowed me to pay what I could to keep the process going until I found a new job. They have settled one of me accounts already after 8months.

Antonio
February 25th, 2016 Downey, CA

Freedom debt relief has been the best thing we had ever done now we don't have all that added stress thank you so much and we will refer our friends and family how great you all are and very patient and kind not to mention understanding and you also explain everything step by step your all awesome once again thank you all at freedom

Novellla Ann Bryant
February 23rd, 2016 Fort Thomas, KY

I've been very pleased with the progress FDR is making on reducing my debt. Looking forward to being debt free!

don likes
February 18th, 2016 Denver, CO

My wife and I have been satisfied with the help that we received from debt relief. The only thing we wished, there was some way to stop the harassing phone calls that we are receiving since we decided on going with debt relief.

Roberto
February 8th, 2016 Kingman, AZ

Every thing that was agreed upon has progressed per our agreement. Things have gone so much better for my wife and myself since you took over our debt problems. Keep up the good work. Thank you so very much.

Valerie Yarborough
February 3rd, 2016 Pensacola, FL

I'm fairly new to the program. However, so far my experience with the program has been an extremely positive one. Everyone has been professional and friendly. And they have already settled one of my account's. I highly recommend this company.

Aretha L. Pierre
January 29th, 2016 New York, NY

I must admit I was a bit skeptical and frightened, but things are moving along quite well. The company keeps up with you on a monthly basis, and when I call, I get a very welcomed voice over the phone. I have not completed the program yet, but things are moving along amazingly well and effortlessly. Thank you for the experience!

Steven R. Green
January 21st, 2016 Fontana, CA

I am without question extremely pleased with the results you obtained with one of my creditors in such a short timeframe. Totally remarkable! Your word & on stage showmanship is unparalled. 1 down. 2 to go. Much Love to you guys at FDR.