Citi Logo

Citi

6.6

LAST UPDATED: August 27th, 2021

Founded in 1812, Citi is the third largest bank in the United States. The company offers a number of financial services, including credit cards, loans, and investments.

The Good

• Rewards Programs
  • APRs
  • No Annual Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards

Rewards Programs

Citi offers several rewards programs that offer cash back for gas and other consumer items. The more regularly customers use their Citi card, the more points they will earn to qualify for rewards.

APRs

Citi offers some cards with an introductory rate of 0 percent for the first 21 months. After that rates jump to fairly average parameters when compared to APRs offered by other top credit card companies.

No Annual Fee

Citi has a range of products with no annual fee, which is a great benefit because it can save cardholders hundreds of dollars.

Free Credit Score

Citi provides its customers with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score for free, which is helpful for consumers who like to keep track of their credit.

Fraud Safeguards

Citi provides online and mobile security to protect its customers from fraud. Additionally, Citi cardholders have $0 liability for unauthorized charges.

The Bad

• Late Payment Fees
  • Undisclosed Information

Late Payment Fees

Citi charges late payment fees typically in the $30 range.

Undisclosed Information

After looking at Citi's corporate website, it is unclear whether or not the company charges foreign transaction fees.

The Bottom Line

Citi offers rewards programs, competitive APRs, free credit score tracking, fraud safeguards, and no annual fees. However, the company does charge late payment fees.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I absolutely love my Citi Credit card. This is the one credit card I use all the time because they have great rewards. I also have been so impressed by their security team and customer service. Any time I have a question or concern I call their company and it is figured out within minutes. I got my credit card number taken once and they took care of the situation so quickly and professionally.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

Just got my Citi card. I’m excited to rack up some points and put them to use. I’m hoping to use most of the points for Christmas gifts.

Dave Spokane, WA

The Costco Citi Visa card has some of the best rewards out there. I use it for all my gas, restaurant, and entertainment purchases. I also like that it has my picture on it so it can serve as photo ID in a pinch. Good app also.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I recently applied for one of their "Double Cash Mastercards" because they give you 2% back on purchases. Their was no trouble getting back an instant approval online & the card arrived in about 5 days. I've since transferred most of my business to the card because of the rate of return. They've got an easy website to track your business & I've been very pleased with the service.

Barbara Porter CA

Citibank was fast to notice fraud on our account and notify us. They quickly removed the fraudulent charges and replaced our credit cards. I would recommend them to anyone.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Citi has been one of my first credit cards. I find their website easy to understand and access. Unfortunately, they have cut back on many privileges like buyer protection. I find they are no longer competitive with other cards.

Bethany Rockville, MD

We had particularly good experience with the citi’s Costco Anywhere Visa card! It is excellent with good rebate program, not only for Costco shopping, but for travel, gas, and dining.

Wilkshake Lehi, UT

I applied for a Citizen card in connection with my Costco purchases and have been very pleased. It enables me to receive alerts as well as paying rewards for card usage. I receive weekly updates and paying my charges on line has been very helpful.

Christina Healey Provo, UT

We’ve really liked our Citi card. We get cash back every year and their customer service is easily accessible. They help with problems quickly. Using the app is super friendly and easy. I’ve had to replace my card because it was lost and they immediately send out a new one with no hassle.

Randy Constan Tampa, FL

Citi Double Cash Mastercard - These days for us, card usage is about Rewards. For the many cases where there is no special deal on your card for a specific type of purchase, the "minimum" reward is important. For the longest time, we stuck with the Capitol One card because of its 1.5% reward, for general purcchases. But Citi bank has offered a better deal. 1% when you purchase, another 1% when you pay. So if you regularly pay off your balance, this amounts to 2% on any purchase. And, the first time I had an issue with an unresponsive seller on an online purchase, they quickly refunded my charge, and took it up with the seller on their own. So, with 2% plus security, I'm using this card a lot now.

Bill Lee

They provide 2 per cent cash back, 1% upon the charge and another 1% when payment received. Allowed me to set the payment day of the month.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I used to use Citi credit cards, however, especially now that I am retired, I have closed out all but two of my credit cards. I always had good service with them, however I they were not affiliated with my credit union (debit card) or Amazon (credits for purchases). If you are looking for additional credit, they would certainly work fine.

DeborahAnn Magnusson Midway, UT

Discover made a mistake losing their contract with Costco. We use our Citi Visa for everything. They are accepted EVERYWHERE, and the rewards are fantastic. I used to use only my debit card, but Citi Visa offers protection against fraud spending so that helped me make the switch.

Trent Ewing Round Lake, IL

I use my Citi card for almost every purchase! I love the cash back feature and often get a decent amount of cash back at the end of the year! Never had to deal much with customer service which I think lends to the ease of using if the card and mobile app!

Cal Hunter Riverton, UT

My Citi Visa card tied to my Costco membership is my go to credit card. The 2% cashback feature is great and when you travel abroad there are no foreign transaction fees. No annual fee makes this the card of choice.

Marion Freund Oakley, CA

I've just received the card. There is no difference in using any other card. Once I've had it for a few months I will be able to evaluate the perks. The reason why I've got the card is that I don't pay any annual fees. Also, the perks of my old Credit Card got so reduced that it's just not with collecting points anymore, let alone pay they ridiculous annual fee.

Lori Claassen Herriman, UT

I opened my CitiBank card once Costco switched to them. Other than the APR going up...it’s a great card! I had a fraudulent charge on my card and I called them, they were great to work with and they took the charge out and sent me a new card immediately!!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

My Citi credit card offers a lot of flexibility. And great rewards too! But the best reward is low rates. My Citi card is my most competitive card and helps me best with long term purchases. Thanks again for the saved money Citi!

Justin Vance Lehi, UT

My Citi Visa through Costco has been awesome. The rewards program is top notch and there is no annual fee. Not worried about late payment fees since I believe they have every right to charge these fees to get back the money they lent out. Customer service has always been professional and accommodating.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

Citi Credit Cards is my primary household credit card. They have amazing benefits and high quality customer service. If you are looking for a credit card with low APR's you should apply for your very own Citi credit card today.

Janessa Herriman, UT

We have the Citi double cash card and the Costco Citi card. Love both of them and the perks we receive from each. Double cash back on everything we purchase is better than most other credit cards normal rates or 1 or 1.5% back. We also don't have to worry about the rotating rewards and getting the cards mixed up of what to use and when. The Costco card has great perks with 4% back on gas and 3% on dining and travel. We have had to get new double cash cards a few times because of stolen information, which is probably another company's fault where we have used the card. Citi is always great at overnighting new cards to us and cancelling the transactions that were not made by us.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had a Citi credit card in the past and it was good on fees, average on the interest rate and easy on the functionality. I could use it anywhere and the limit was reasonable. It would have been better if I could have payed it off monthly but I had to carry a balance and this wasn't terrible as they were easy to work with, but it was expensive. They have great options for everyone and a card that will fit everyones situation.

Brandie Rudy West Jordan, UT

I have been a citi customer for a long time and over the years they have made so many great improvements. I love being their customer as they take suggestions from consumers serious and make changes that are appropriate. They have so many card options to fit anyones needs. They have low interest rates, no annual fee and offer low interest payoff options for high interest rate debt. They have an extremely intuitive website that provides options to make payments and ask questions.

Helen Thompson Bountiful, UT

WE DO SO MUCH OF OUR FOOD SHOPPING AT COSTCO THAT WE DECIDED TO SAVE AND TRY USING THE CITI BANK CARD. WE HAVE REALLY ENJOYED THE SAVINGS AT THE END OF THE YEAR WE GET WITH THIS CARD. THEY HAVE BEEN VERY EASY TO GET AHOLD OF WITH OUR QUESTIONS THEIR MONTHLY STATEMENTS ARE EASY TO USE AND KEEP TRACK OF YOUR SPENDING. WE ARE HAPPY WE CHANGED OVER TWO YEARS AGO.

Shauna Craig Pleasant Grove, UT

We have the business Costco Citi card and absolutely love it. We use it for everything and end up getting a nice check at the end of the year. We have had to contact customer service to reverse charges and they were professional and efficient. They alert us if charges are made that may not be ours. When I lost my card, they were extremely helpful and quick to replace it.

Tylyn Hansen American Fork, UT

I use a Citi credit card and it has been the best I’ve ever had. The rewards program is awesome and the app is so easy to use! It makes keeping track of my finances a breeze!

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Citi has a wide range of great credit cards. I have about three of them but never charge anything other than subscription services to them. No complaints over the ease of using basic features like AutoPay.

Joseph Kimatu Springfield, MA

Not so good. I have had the cards for some time now. I took them to use in store but later I was sold to Citi. The rates are very high. Though they advance cash without interest for a year or 18 months, one ends paying up through the nose. But for the moment I have to deal with them. I don't have much choice.

ALEXA J HOWALD

Generally good. They have been good about contacting me concerning questionable charges. The last time, though, when the card needed to be cancelled and a new one issued, I had to wait 10 days for the replacement card to arrive, which was very inconvenient.

Adam Wolfe

I have never had any problems with this card. Customer service is awesome and has always taken care any questions or issues I have with disputes. I would recommend this card to just about anybody.

Qiao Bethesda, MD

Citibank credit card is the most reward card I got so far, It is safe and closely monitored for abnormal activities, I got instant messages when my count was compromised , and bank mailed out my new replaced card right way.

Mikayla Ralston Navarre, FL

I've used CitiBank for credit cards in the past. They also have the contract for the government travel credit card (GTCC). The GTCC isn't the easiest thing to use. In fact, I typically avoid using it. As for their other credit cards, they are fine.

Hung

The customer service is very helpful, I had a few disputes with charges from some company and the Citi bank personnel had straightened it out quickly, I would recommend others to have business with them

Samantha Grabert Salt Lake City, UT

Good website, good customer service and card was easy to manage.

Eric Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We have a Costco Citi card. We love that we acquire Costco cash quickly and Citi has managed our account very well. If I ever call the customer service, they take great care of us. The website is easy to categorize where our money went so that we can stick to a budget.

RodrigoRamirez Austin, TX

Recently opened up a card with Citibank. I really like how they give you a timeline showing with the amount you're paying how long it will take to pay it off. It's almost as if they're invested in helping you pay the card down when need be and managing finances.

Martha Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

We have used Citi as our main card that we use from Costco. We have been very happy with the service. The company is very good to answer questions and help with problems. They also notify us immediately if there are suspicous charges being made to the card.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been very pleased with the services offered by Citi. In my case, when I have anticipated foreign travel they have been helpful in putting into place "safeguards" that protect my account from fraudulent use. I have always found their customer service people readily available and knowledgable which isn't always the case with other companies.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

Citi credit card was my first credit card. They had an unbelievable beginning APR rate. It was a great way to establish my credit history and put me on my way from college. The student card even gives great rewards! It is a very reliable and trusted company which was important to me.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

I really like Our Costco Citi card. It makes it easy to shop. I like that it tracks expense categories for me to help me know where my dollars are going. The mobile app is very user friendly and I am able to do anything I want from it.

David Lewis Salt Lake City, UT

Love this credit card company especially the Costco credit card that is through Citi. Some of the best benefits I have seen from a credit card. I have only had to use the customer service once and it was not a bad experience at all. Their website is great to work with. All the features you would want with a card.

Jwat1213 New Market, MD

My Costco card is citi and I love it. The app makes it easy to make payments and the rewards are treat

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

I have two credit cards from Citi Bank. It is good to use when we travel internationally and have good rebate. I have no issues to use it and customer service is very good.

Kurt Lucas Reston, VA

I love getting the cash Back checks from Citi for using their card. It's a great reward. Citi customer service is always quick to resole a card issue.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

I have several products with Citi. Their products and service are remarkable. I love the website and the friendly service.

ang Milwaukee, WI

I use my citi card for everything. The rewards are amazing. They have been great to work with when my card number was stolen.

Jared Provo, UT

I have a Citi credit card through Costco, and my experience so far has been great. The app works well, and I've never had reason to settle a dispute.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I love my Citi card. I am happy with their customer service and I trust that when I use my Citi card, I feel that they will keep my information safe and secure.

Michele Dougherty Calabasas, CA

07/15/17 My AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard was charged $3,449 from a hotel I had stayed at in Mexico. i had paid for my room on my am ex, and had given this Citibank Card upon check info incidentals, but had no room charges. I assumed this charge was an error, and contacted the hotel 3x to ask for an explanation, but they did not respond, so I contacted Citibank- assuming they would of course protect me. Here are my notes from the nightmare than ensued and ended with Citibank office of the president stating that “if customers give a card to a merchant for incidentals, custom is giving hotel permission to change WHATEVER HOTEL WANTS, and Citibank requires no proof of authorized charged! I was informed this is ESPECIALLY the case if the hotel is out of the country. Citibank cannot protect customers from fraud, and does NOT consider this fraud, if we willingly give a merchant a card for incidentals. On 8/15/17 I did “chat” w/ Citibank customer service via these website & the representative disputed the charge & tagged it as both fraud and as a dispute (i have the full transcript) 9/11/17 spoke w/ fraud dept for 1 hour & emailed & mailed them requested documents. I received a credit for a month, then it was reversed for no reason i could find. I immediately called on 11/13/17 & spoke with Timothy customer service Citibank -he said claim wasn’t handled properly, so he’s resubmitting it to the investigator. He said they had it incorrectly inputted as a “double pay”, but he fixed it. There's NOTHING needed from me. They will reissue me a credit for the $3449 of unauthorized charges & any interest. 11/30/17-spoke with Sarah who seemed confused about everything (she spoke very bad English). On the phone for over 70 minutes. She said she couldn't see Timothy's notes from 11/13 and she attempted to “kick the charge back to the fraud department”. She said an Investigator will be in tomorrow & Sarah will give investigator all info & request that they issue my credit again until this is resolved. Sarah did not have the ability to issue the credit herself, and could not explain why no one has contacted me or followed up on this. 12/17/17 spoke to Tina who’s sending this back to a disputes investigator as “paid by other means”. Per her request I emailed her the room charge on my Am Ex from the hotel. 1/14/18- I spoke with Joseph in customer service - who transferred me to Robert - a customer service supervisor- who said he can’t help with disputes & he’d transfer me again. Then I spoke with disputes supervisor Richard - he went over entire story AGAIN. Richard is opening as a “new dispute”, and doesn’t know why this one “fell through the cracks”. He requested that the documents be moved over & he may still send a letter than needs me to check boxes & sign again, but he has all info & apologized many times. Citicards account - services, statements and communication, letter should be there. He said the system will not allow a conditional credit, because one had been issued & reversed through no fault of mine, so Ricard is requesting that a director get involved and help me. He will request a credit of the $3449 plus interest since July. He could see where Tina tried to reopen the dispute- but it didn’t get it reopened for some reason. Richard created a NEW dispute to get it back in the system. He said I Should hear back in 3-5 biz days from the director. I did not. 2/9/18 received an email requesting a written letter- I sent on 2/12. 3/13/18 Called again - Spoke w/ GraceLynn, who informed me that the dispute had been sent back to security for review & that she cannot assist further. Asked to speak to supervisor. Was forwarded to Josiah, Account Manager, who was incredibly rude & not helpful at all. Stated that since the card was given to hotel for incidentals, that the hotel is allowed to make ANY charges they want without having to provide ANY detail of the charges & Citibank customers are liable for those charges. I Filed a complaint with consumer financial protection bureau. 3/ 27/18 Arlene from Citibank exec offices called & We spoke for 28 min on a recorded line. she said if I could not provide a receipt that showed NO charges upon check out of hotel, Citibank could not protect me. She also said hotel does NOT have to provide an accounting of the charges & that when I provide a card for incidentals a hotel is allowed to charge whatever they want without proof. She said it is especially difficult for Citibank to protect customers if a hotel is out of the country. customers have to prove there were NO charges- the hotel does NOT have to prove that charges are valid. Arlene said that my card was present at the time of purchase. A few minutes later she corrected herself and said the charge could have been made remotely via email or the phone. Arlene said that because I could not prove that I did not authorize these charges, that I am liable for them. OMG! How is this legal?

Brinley Knowles Smithfield, UT

Citi is great to communicate with if I am ever needing questions answers or have a problem with something. They have such a great rewards program and they don't charge you to pay an annual which is so great.