Best Company Guarantee Citi Logo

Citi

6.8

LAST UPDATED: September 8th, 2022

Founded in 1812, Citi is the third largest bank in the United States. The company offers a number of financial services, including credit cards, loans, and investments.

The Good

• Rewards Programs
  • APRs
  • No Annual Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards

Rewards Programs

Citi offers several rewards programs that offer cash back for gas and other consumer items. The more regularly customers use their Citi card, the more points they will earn to qualify for rewards.

APRs

Citi offers some cards with an introductory rate of 0 percent for the first 21 months. After that rates jump to fairly average parameters when compared to APRs offered by other top credit card companies.

No Annual Fee

Citi has a range of products with no annual fee, which is a great benefit because it can save cardholders hundreds of dollars.

Free Credit Score

Citi provides its customers with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score for free, which is helpful for consumers who like to keep track of their credit.

Fraud Safeguards

Citi provides online and mobile security to protect its customers from fraud. Additionally, Citi cardholders have $0 liability for unauthorized charges.

The Bad

• Late Payment Fees
  • Undisclosed Information

Late Payment Fees

Citi charges late payment fees typically in the $30 range.

Undisclosed Information

After looking at Citi's corporate website, it is unclear whether or not the company charges foreign transaction fees.

The Bottom Line

Citi offers rewards programs, competitive APRs, free credit score tracking, fraud safeguards, and no annual fees. However, the company does charge late payment fees.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

TheRustyScupper Clermont, FL

We use Citi credit cards for family purchases, of about $3500/month. ANYTHING that be bought via credit card is put on Citi. With double-rewards, there is always money coming back to us. When we have had disputes over charges, they reacted quickly. Our disputes were removed from the bill until they were resolved. Good phone servicing.

lucy li Austin, TX

We use CITI BANK credit card for years. If we found problem they will help immediately and solve problem with no hassles. And dispute on the app is really helpful. CITI BANK helped us took a little money back from a dentist office lately. The dentist hold my money over 4 month and never want to give back to me.

Dadutch3zz Buffalo, NY

I love Citi! The perks are amazing the card never have any issues. I love the touch less feature during the pandemic. They are amazing! I will recommend to anyone.

LaVoya Searcy Siloam Springs, AR

I was a Citi customer for about 14 years. Usually got good service. Between my Mother and I we had 3 different accounts. When we had to close accounts because they were closing the branch, I received 300.00 back for an account that was suppose to have been closed. So I learned, banks really do take your money and use it without your permission. Even the teller seemed surprised when she located the account and gad to give back the 300.00!!

Lynette Jorgensen Herriman, UT

I have been a Citibank card holder for many years. They have reasonable interest rates and I love the cash back option for purchases. They have been quick to warn me of any possible fraudulent activity and refund fraudulent charges. Their customer service is great to work with.

Judy Fred Narragansett, RI

A 2% cash back card that is good for ALL purchases?? It's true! one % when I buy, one% when I pay. No annoying rotating categories to keep up with! I'm a busy person, and I know that this card will always be in my wallet. The smartphone app is so EASY to use, I just love this card.

Greg Guild Puyallup, WA

I use my Costco CITI card all the time and it works for me. Their customer service has always been more than helpful!

Chad Edgar Wentzville, MO

A very good credit card to have in case of emergencies in CT is awesome and will be there for you when you need them most cheap and easy repayments small payments easy easy payments and wonderful customer service

Janan Grange Pleasant Grove, UT

I own the Citi Visa Costco card. I use it everytime I go to Costco. It's not my main Credit Card as another card gives me better travel points. However, it's been a great card and when my wallet was stolen they were easy to work with.

Yuli Gallardo Delray Beach, FL

I have been a client of Citi bank for many years now and have both a Citi Credit Card and a debit card. Citi has been part of helping me grow my credit, I even used them once when I was trying to pay off by debts for a balance transfer at .% interest which really helped me a lot.

Tami Thurgood Ogden, UT

I have had a credit card with Citi for several years and have never had any problems. When I lost my credit card, I got issued a replacement immediately. The replacement came in the mail quickly. The company is easy to work with.

Alexandria Lekberg Chesterfield, VA

I have been a customer with Citi for 15 years. I love getting my miles with them for American. The company has been great for any unknown charges. They called me right away. They saved me from a $8,000 charge! So grateful they called. I can use it almost anywhere! The downside is that I can’t use it at Costco anymore.

Yu-Jean Chon Chicago, IL

I have been using Citi credit cards for about 20 years. I am satisfied with their customer service and security measures. The only complaint is that on their bill they don't separate the charges made by the secondary card holder. All the charges are mixed and it is hard to tell which one is made by who. I shouldn't be that hard to show separate sections.

Gavin Jones Columbus, OH

Used to have a few cards with them and for the most part was great, but ran into some stage and found the customer service not very helpful. Also found the mobile app to be v. Slow and not user friendly. However, the rewards which were given on the cash back due to purchases and also on paying off the balance was handy and great due to this made the card very worthwhile and counterbalanced the above negative points.

Sarah Biondo Gilbert, AZ

We have a couple of Citi credit cards and have bigger credit limits on them after being customers for awhile. Everything is easy and we also seem to have great 0% balance transfer options that we love and take advantage of. Customer service is always helpful.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I recently applied for one of their "Double Cash Mastercards" because they give you 2% back on purchases. Their was no trouble getting back an instant approval online & the card arrived in about 5 days. I've since transferred most of my business to the card because of the rate of return. They've got an easy website to track your business & I've been very pleased with the service.

Randy Constan Tampa, FL

Citi Double Cash Mastercard - These days for us, card usage is about Rewards. For the many cases where there is no special deal on your card for a specific type of purchase, the "minimum" reward is important. For the longest time, we stuck with the Capitol One card because of its 1.5% reward, for general purcchases. But Citi bank has offered a better deal. 1% when you purchase, another 1% when you pay. So if you regularly pay off your balance, this amounts to 2% on any purchase. And, the first time I had an issue with an unresponsive seller on an online purchase, they quickly refunded my charge, and took it up with the seller on their own. So, with 2% plus security, I'm using this card a lot now.

James Woodworth Peoria, AZ

I primarily use the Citi Double Cash Card. The rewards every month are fantastic.

Gisele Sasser New Smyrna Beach, FL

Very pleased with Citi. Never had a problem. A real plus when I travel, it's accepted everywhere.

Haygar Horrible Weaverville, NC

Their credit card works everywhere. Their customer service is good. Just wish they had a bank location near me in Asheville,NC.

jannie turner Cherry Hill, NJ

Citi credit has been a blessing in my life. I was able to get a loan increase that help me complete my Bachelors Degree. Thanks for standing by me

Bill Lee

They provide 2 per cent cash back, 1% upon the charge and another 1% when payment received. Allowed me to set the payment day of the month.

Guy Midvale, UT

I have had a Citi card for close to 10 years. It has been a great card to use. The cash back rewards are good and the website to view your account and manage the card is easy to use. I do not pay a yearly fee and not sure about the monthly APR as I pay the card off monthly.

Taylor Jorgensen Herriman, UT

I have been a Citi Bank Cardholder for 5 years. They have reasonable interest rates. The customer service department was great to work with when we had some fraudulent activty on our card.

letsgogreen12 Macomb, MI

I have had a Citi Card for a few years just to boost my credit score. I use it regularly and pay the balance off. I like that the company has incentives like cash back on gas purchases.

Joe Leahy Marshfield, MA

I love the Citi Master Card on line access to my account. Tracking your activity and credit score in one click is very simple..You set payment and purchase alerts also very easy to navigate

Jmarsh Macomb, MI

My Citi Card has always worked and has held up to being washed in a washing machine more than a few times! Once my payment was late in the USPS mail system and I contacted customer service who kindly removed the late fee.

Party0f7 Macomb, MI

I have had an account with Citi for a few years. I’ve never had any problems with my account. They offer cash back deals depending on your purchases which is a nice feature.

Marion Freund Oakley, CA

I've just received the card. There is no difference in using any other card. Once I've had it for a few months I will be able to evaluate the perks. The reason why I've got the card is that I don't pay any annual fees. Also, the perks of my old Credit Card got so reduced that it's just not with collecting points anymore, let alone pay they ridiculous annual fee.

Lori Claassen Herriman, UT

I opened my CitiBank card once Costco switched to them. Other than the APR going up...it’s a great card! I had a fraudulent charge on my card and I called them, they were great to work with and they took the charge out and sent me a new card immediately!!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

My Citi credit card offers a lot of flexibility. And great rewards too! But the best reward is low rates. My Citi card is my most competitive card and helps me best with long term purchases. Thanks again for the saved money Citi!

Justin Vance Lehi, UT

My Citi Visa through Costco has been awesome. The rewards program is top notch and there is no annual fee. Not worried about late payment fees since I believe they have every right to charge these fees to get back the money they lent out. Customer service has always been professional and accommodating.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

Citi Credit Cards is my primary household credit card. They have amazing benefits and high quality customer service. If you are looking for a credit card with low APR's you should apply for your very own Citi credit card today.

Jlbflatx New Braunfels, TX

Love citi. Love the money back rewards. I have the 2 percent where you get 1 percent when you buy and 1 percent when you pay your bill. Who doesn’t like getting money back! Easy to use their site. Can view all charges, can ever click to get notifications on when you buy and when you pay and more. Easy to spot a fraud charge if needed. Customer service has always been great with questions. Easy to manage account online. They even have special protective services for your card for damages etc. I find the card convenient and accepted everywhere.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I absolutely love my Citi Credit card. This is the one credit card I use all the time because they have great rewards. I also have been so impressed by their security team and customer service. Any time I have a question or concern I call their company and it is figured out within minutes. I got my credit card number taken once and they took care of the situation so quickly and professionally.

Janessa Herriman, UT

We have the Citi double cash card and the Costco Citi card. Love both of them and the perks we receive from each. Double cash back on everything we purchase is better than most other credit cards normal rates or 1 or 1.5% back. We also don't have to worry about the rotating rewards and getting the cards mixed up of what to use and when. The Costco card has great perks with 4% back on gas and 3% on dining and travel. We have had to get new double cash cards a few times because of stolen information, which is probably another company's fault where we have used the card. Citi is always great at overnighting new cards to us and cancelling the transactions that were not made by us.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had a Citi credit card in the past and it was good on fees, average on the interest rate and easy on the functionality. I could use it anywhere and the limit was reasonable. It would have been better if I could have payed it off monthly but I had to carry a balance and this wasn't terrible as they were easy to work with, but it was expensive. They have great options for everyone and a card that will fit everyones situation.

Brandie Rudy West Jordan, UT

I have been a citi customer for a long time and over the years they have made so many great improvements. I love being their customer as they take suggestions from consumers serious and make changes that are appropriate. They have so many card options to fit anyones needs. They have low interest rates, no annual fee and offer low interest payoff options for high interest rate debt. They have an extremely intuitive website that provides options to make payments and ask questions.

Helen Thompson Bountiful, UT

WE DO SO MUCH OF OUR FOOD SHOPPING AT COSTCO THAT WE DECIDED TO SAVE AND TRY USING THE CITI BANK CARD. WE HAVE REALLY ENJOYED THE SAVINGS AT THE END OF THE YEAR WE GET WITH THIS CARD. THEY HAVE BEEN VERY EASY TO GET AHOLD OF WITH OUR QUESTIONS THEIR MONTHLY STATEMENTS ARE EASY TO USE AND KEEP TRACK OF YOUR SPENDING. WE ARE HAPPY WE CHANGED OVER TWO YEARS AGO.

Shauna Craig Pleasant Grove, UT

We have the business Costco Citi card and absolutely love it. We use it for everything and end up getting a nice check at the end of the year. We have had to contact customer service to reverse charges and they were professional and efficient. They alert us if charges are made that may not be ours. When I lost my card, they were extremely helpful and quick to replace it.

Offatnight Hughson, CA

They give you a great balance since starting to raise my credit score and had no problems with the app

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Have a card with them from costco. The card itself is extremely competitive, but my one complaint is that the cash back is yearly not monthly like competitors.

Nicole Williams West Jordan, UT

I have 2 different Citi cards. They have been good to use. They don't get as good of cash back and rewards, but I did just recently get a promotion for 0% interest for 18 months!

Moses F. Chandler, AZ

We have used Citi Bank services, for many years. With full confidence of our transactions. Citi has always provided professional support, & has a long & great track record.

Michigander101 Macomb, MI

Citi helped me get through college and build my credit score. When I needed to purchases books and essentials, I was covered. Never had had issues with billing or hackers.

Shoppingmom7 Cincinnati, OH

Originally I LOVED my Citibank cards! Had been a customer with them for over 10 plus years....Starting out the card benefits & features were FANTASTIC!! For YEARS went with out a problem. Then out of the blue this month (Nov 2021) they stripped both my credit lines ($10k on 1 card & $8000k on my other & my Home Depot credit card which Citi owns $8k CL) with NO valid reason. I was NEVER late or past due. NEVER went anywhere near my credit limit..At the time they closed my account I had a 805 credit score....When I called all I was told was "it was a random review of my credit report & there was nothing anyone could do".....I was & still am FURIOUS! Citi always thanks u for being a valued & loyal card member but this "Valued & Loyal card member" was SCREWED by Citi with NO vaseline!! Be careful! Citi has NO loyalty to their best customers..

Joseph Kimatu Springfield, MA

Not so good. I have had the cards for some time now. I took them to use in store but later I was sold to Citi. The rates are very high. Though they advance cash without interest for a year or 18 months, one ends paying up through the nose. But for the moment I have to deal with them. I don't have much choice.

ALEXA J HOWALD

Generally good. They have been good about contacting me concerning questionable charges. The last time, though, when the card needed to be cancelled and a new one issued, I had to wait 10 days for the replacement card to arrive, which was very inconvenient.

Adam Wolfe

I have never had any problems with this card. Customer service is awesome and has always taken care any questions or issues I have with disputes. I would recommend this card to just about anybody.

Qiao Bethesda, MD

Citibank credit card is the most reward card I got so far, It is safe and closely monitored for abnormal activities, I got instant messages when my count was compromised , and bank mailed out my new replaced card right way.