Consumer Cellular

5.7

Consumer Cellular is a small cellular company that offers great low-cost cell plans for every need and budget. Aiming their marketing towards retirees, Consumer Cellular works with AARP and offers discounts for their members. The company is based out of Tigard, Oregon, and has received top customer satisfaction rankings from Consumer Reports in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. They run off of AT&T and T-Mobile networks.

#1 T-Mobile Logo T-Mobile ›

7.0

Overall
Score

#2 AT&T Logo AT&T ›

6.9

Overall
Score

#3 Verizon Logo Verizon ›

6.9

Overall
Score

#6 Consumer Cellular Logo Consumer Cellular

5.7

Overall
Score

The Good

• No long-term contracts
  • EasyPay service
  • Great benefits

Consumer Cellular does not require long-term contracts, but instead base their service off of a month to month platform. Customers can also change their pricing plan at any time if needed. Consumer Cellular has a great option for a low-cost family plan, especially for those who don't use phones very often. Their customer service is located in the United States, which means easier communication. Their coverage is nationwide, and only involves a few spotty patches in the mid-west. They also offer an "EasyPay" service where you can make monthly payments to pay off more expensive phones like an iPhones or Android Smartphones.

Because they target retirees, their plans tend to be very inexpensive for those who aren't looking for a lot of data, text messaging, or minutes. They also provide discounts for AARP members. They have no fees for any of their services, and because they have no contracts, there is no activation fee for their services as well.

Basically, Consumer Cellular customers can expect the following:

• Reasonable pricing (based on limited services)
  • Discounts for families and AARP members
  • No contracts and month-to-month payment platform
  • Quality coverage nationwide (with a few exceptions)
  • Plan flexibility - change your plan at any time

The Bad

• Only good for most basic needs
  • Limited data capabilities

Consumer Cellular is designed to benefit those who want a cell phone, but do not plan on using it to the full capacity. For those who just want basic minutes and text messaging capabilities, then Consumer Cellular will work. However, if a potential customer wants more than that, things can get a little tricky. Consumer Cellular doesn't offer unlimited data-the highest plan includes 4 GBs. Because they market towards retirees, those that use a lot of data don't have a lot of use for their services.

Since there is limited data capabilities, customers should consider that when deciding on which phone to use. Consumer Cellular does carry iPhone and Android phones, but customers will have to keep in mind that they will not be able to maximize those technologies with current data services.

Prior to enrolling in the Consumer Cellular service, prospective customers should take a look at the following:

• Monthly pricing - customers are billed based on the number of minutes they use. These plans start at $10/month where customers are billed per use and range to unlimited minutes for $50/month. Correctly estimating the number of minutes will be essential to having a reasonably priced service.
  • Limited data usage - there are no unlimited data services currently being offered, so if data is a big part of your cell phone usage, you may want to look elsewhere

The Bottom Line

Consumer Cellular is a great option for those who don't need a lot of minutes, texting, or data. They have really great options for AARP members, and have the same coverage as big networks like T-Mobile and AT&T. They've received top customer satisfaction from Consumer Reports for the past five years, and because their service is month to month, you can cancel at any time. As part of their service, customers can expect the following:

• Basic phone functions at a fraction of the cost
  • Decent device selection to choose from
  • Some restrictions with coverage and data
  • Flexible pricing and plans

2.5

l hess

January 3rd, 2018 Redmond, WA DETAILS

Bad Bad...If you like waiting 1 to 1 1/2hours to get a question answered then you will like Consumer Cellular!!! My time is more valuable. Also their "automatic" upgrade if you exceed your monthly allowance results in a new non-competive rate.There are better companies out there.They also lost their "Best Customer Rating" sometime ago.Please read the other reviews.

KEITH SOWUL

January 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

Horrible!!! Tried to go from T-Mobile (very good) to Con Cellular - Horrible!!! (Reason for change, I wanted to pay less for a data plan). After inserting the Con Cell sim card into my iPhone the iPhone would not go past "Searching" mode. For 3 days, 4 hours a day, Con Cell couldn't get it to work. Con Cell manager says "Your iPhone is not compatible with our network". WHAT??? An iPhone not compatible??? She says, "You should purchase a phone from us"????? WHAT???? I said no way!!! And guess what....they locked my iPhone so I can't simply put my T-Mobile sim card in to go back to T-Mobile!!!! Holiday weekend is shot until I can try to have T-Mobile and Apple to get my iPhone back up and running. Thanks for nothing CON CELL!!! Horrible to due to a senior citizen!!! AARP should be ashamed for endorsing them.

Tony G

December 5th, 2017 New York, NY DETAILS

CC has demonstrated a pattern of abusive billing practices aimed at senior citizens, myself included, who are usually less vigilant. I was overcharged by $61.60 for the month of September 2017 while I was overseas from August 22th to October 2nd and not using the service. I had requested a freeze of account on August 17. My monthly bills had never been more than $33.00 before, and the cost should remain constant since I used no data service with less than 1,000 minutes phone calls ($20.00), plus fees and taxes (less than $11.00), totaling less than $31.00. I tried to reason with CC for many times, the responses I got, however, were self-contradictory, false and absurd! On August 17, a representative stated that I could not freeze my account, and that I had to do it on the 6th of the following month when a new billing cycle was to start. On Nov 6th, I requested the termination of the service, but was told "I would like to let you know that as of November 10th your account has been cancelled. Because we will in arrears, you will receive one more invoice through today’s cancellation date". How could it be "we will in arrears"? Looked into the statements that I received, there was a charge of $23.43 for the period of Nov 7th - Dec 6th, 2016 before the service ever got started (I signed up on Dec 18th, 2016). I was then charged and paid through autopay every month thereafter. A representative in early October claimed that I was charged for $61.60 for the month of September because I changed my service level. The representative on Nov 10 claimed said that CC has been "hiring and training" and "would like to apologize for any confusion that occurred." Nevertheless, she completely ignored the issue as how to return the unwarranted charge of $23.43 for the period Nov 7 - Dec 6 2016, and the overcharge of $61.60 (September 2017). I offered to close the case if CC returns $10.00 for its overcharge. Instead, they sent me another bill at $60.24. There people are just gross!

Aaron Lammers

December 3rd, 2017 Collingswood, NJ DETAILS

Do not trust this company! They are a complete scam, I ordered a phone, with an unlimited plan. as soon as I got the phone I realized that their "unlimited" plan DOES NOT INCLUDE TEXT! As soon as I realized this, I called and cancelled my order, and said that I wanted to return the phone. They said that I could return it, so I packaged it right up and sent it back. The phone was in mint brand new condition. They then sent the phone back to me, and refused to accept it. They said the phone was damaged. The phone is perfectly fine. It looks like they just took a little razor blade and just made a tiny little scratch on the bottom of the phone, and now they refuse to return it! That scratch was not there when I sent it back. I never dropped it or anything! I never even used it! I just tried to send a text and then I put it back in the box to send it back. If there is a scratch on it it was either there when I got it or they put it there!

leif

November 6th, 2017 Saint Cloud, MN DETAILS

Call to activate the phone. Unable to a for sim card never received a refund. activate the phone and hard hit on Credit. Said I get a refund

Georgia Brazzell

October 23rd, 2017 Cantonment, FL DETAILS

We have just begun service with CC so cannot comment on long term, but with set up, cost of phone, Samsung Galaxy J7 and estimated monthly cost, it is exactly what we are looking for and cheaper than what we had. CC has already emailed and called to see if they can do anything else for us at this time. Just gave 4 stars because don't have long term experience with CC.

Jeff

September 19th, 2017 Simpsonville, SC

It may be cheap but the coverage is horrible. Made a big mistake when turning to CC. Can't even get a signal from my house and I live in a heavily urban area.

Gary Hall

June 1st, 2017 Saint George, UT

We have been members for many years now. We started with a cell phone for my 90 year old mother. Now we have their phones for my wife and sons, and I would switch as well if I didn't have two tablets and a phone with Verizon. But, time may change that. We now have also the "Ally" Medical Alert Button for my mother, who is now 93. When our first ally developed a slight problem, all it took was a phone call and they had it replaced for free within a few days. Every problem we have had has been solved by the best customer service we have ever used. Other companies should take note! Their phones used to be only for the aged, but now they have all sorts of phones and plans for the best prices around, from large smart phones to old flip phones. And we truly can cancel or change or add items quickly and easily!

Patrick Jay Malinowski

August 19th, 2015 Chicago, IL

Great mobile carrier ever

Richard M. Koch

August 17th, 2015 San Antonio, TX

I have been with Consumer Cellular since Jan. 2012. They have exceeded my EVERY expectation since joining them. Their phones, accessories, talk & data plans, AND their knowledgeable, friendly (& PATIENT!) service reps are incredible! I have had nothing but great experiences with them from day one, and the folks I have referred to them feel the same way! I would not consider switching carriers - even for a cheaper rate! I plan to remain one of Consumer Cellular's biggest fans! I've NEVER been disappointed!