Turo Logo

Key Details

• Airbnb Model for Car Rental
  • Availability in 300+ Airports and 4,500+ Cities
  • Rent a Unique Car from a Local Owner

Summary

Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, California in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for the pros and cons of Turo car rental or skip to the Turo reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids, and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign-up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing in to your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the Turo host and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35 percent lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 per day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets, and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee — 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee — varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee — 20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee — varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee — 10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, is made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo's insurance, owners can either use Turo's policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

When owners decline Turo's insurance coverage, they are considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their commercial rental insurance policy verified by Turo prior to renting any of their vehicles.

Turo's originally offered three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. The Premium, Standard, and Basic plans (available before July 1, 2020). All three plans came with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

As of July 1, 2020 Turo offers five vehicle protection plans: the 60 Plan, 70 Plan, 75 Plan, 80 Plan, and the 85 Plan.

All five plans provide up to $750,000 in third-party liability insurance (offered by Liberty Mutual) and varying levels of contractual reimbursement (reflected in the plan names) from Turo for physical damage and theft. However, bear in mind that the level of available reimbursement will vary depending on the chosen plan.

We recommend consumers thoroughly read Turo's detailed terms and conditions for more information regarding Turo's car insurance.

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo's coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection. We recommend you refer to the company's website for detailed information on each plan.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Variable Restrictions
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Variable Restrictions

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100. Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current U.S. licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big difference between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out-of-the-ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and Turo host.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

Have you used Turo? Would you recommend it to a friend? Let us know by leaving a review below.

3.7

Chan Mississauga, ON

My experience was horrible they kept charging mt account with 257.00 fees and than another week goes by and i got a 58.00 fee i cancelled my account called my bank and im reporting and opening up a investigation into this is fraud i had to cancel my card so they could t kep going into my account this is rediculous im literally going crazy how pissed off i am

14 hours ago

rac1 Austin, TX

If you're planning to rent your car on tour don't ever do it. I had my brand new car on the platform and my guest got it crashed like 400 miles away from my location, undrivable. Turo direct customer service doesn't exist! You are let on your own in case of an accident like the one that happened to my car. I filed the claim and they call me like 3 days after, totally unuseful as my car had already been towed to a safe place thanks only to my guest's private insurance. Stay away from Turo as host

Karessa Armstrong Surprise, AZ

Literally a scam and false advertising!!!! They give you a price then after putting your card information in they change it. The chat service doesn’t work properly and the representatives barley speak English and flat out lie to their customers. Disgrace to call this a business just a legal scam artist!

Billye Snow Spring Valley, CA

I want to give 5 plus stars to the host I’ve met!!!! Wonderful beautiful people!!! On the other hand I can’t begin to tell you about: Customer service deserves negative 1!!! They lost my business and six of my family members for what they did to us.

Greg Rosenheck Port Orange, FL

I needed a car today on 11/13/22. it was supposed to be $43 a day. they took my CC and photo then after compleation they added a $15.00 Trip fee - Then if I declined to take their 3rd party insurance they added more money. The whole thing was going to cost $74.00 I decided njot to book. Also they are impossible to contact. There is no human contact with this company to hell with them.

Raluca Petrescu Bucharest, B

Horrible experience! I got planted a cigarette by the host at the end of the trip and gor charged for smoking. I got charged for parking outside my rental time- the host asked me to leave the car in an expensive airport parking because they couldn't pick up the car- I had free airport pickup as part of the offer I was given. I got charged, de-charged and charged again about all of this. I'm speechless. Please stay away from this.

cjordan Noblesville, IN

We scheduled a 2021 Toyota Corolla at 2:30 on a Friday through the turo website, and it wasn't until 1:20 AM on Saturday that we received an automated response telling us that turo is not responding, and we would have to make another request all over again. Suffice it to say my wife and I weren't going to put any further fate in a company with such a broken system. 2:30 on a Friday afternoon is perfectly reasonable to see a request come in on ones system, and then if you need to reach out to someone by phone to work something else out, then do it! Don't just not respond because some of us have schedules that we are trying to keep. Thanks for wasting our time.

Amelia Kracinovich GA

DON’T USE TURO! We rented a Turo to go out to the middle of nowhere for a wedding. Driving 70mph down the highway the engine light came on and we couldn’t get past 1st gear. WE WERE ON THE WAY TO THE WEDDING!! We had to call an Uber and beg them to pick us up on the side of the road. WE WERE LATE AND MISSED PART OF THE CEREMONY!!!!! The Uber cost us 85 dollars and to get back to the hotel we had to get a ride from the photographer at the wedding. The hotel was over 2 hours away and our Uber back cost us 200 dollars. We have spent countless hours on the phone speaking with Turo representatives who have failed to recoup any of these costs associated with the engine failure are even threatening to charge US for towing the car. We had the car for 24 hours and the car had over 100,000 miles. There has been no acknowledgement of the extremely dangerous and inconvenient situation we were placed in. The host did nothing to help the situation and the towing companies called us four different times despite relaying the information to Turo. TURO IS ABSOLUTE A HORRIBLE COMPANY WITH NO QUALITY CONTROL! Your car could break down at any moment and TURO WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO ASSIST!! No replacement car, no covering of extremely expensive Uber rides. Just a huge headache and a huge cost! Go to a reputable rental car company NOT TURO!

Cynthia Loveday

If I could rate it a 0 I would ! I hope there is a lawsuit against this company asap and everybody they’ve lied on gets reimbursed for Turo and there car owners for making up lies to get extra money after you return the car! My trip was good up untill I dropped the car off! Before I dropped the car off I went and washed and vacuumed it and then I got gas straight across the street from where the guy told me to drop it off ! And I have a witness with me because I was new to the app I probably didn’t take as many pictures but I think they take advantaged of people like that because their system when you go through it it only advises you to take pictures around the car and odometer it and then it says if you want to add more pictures you can! But a few hours after I dropped the car off I got a message from the owner saying that I owed $24 and some change and that was a $10 charge for not filling the car up and then he filled the car up the rest of the way and it was $14 and something so me and him argued back-and-forth and I told him he was a liar and that was that and I said well we will leave it up to Turo thinking Turo would fix the issue but not let this go on so I go to use my bank card a few hours Later and noticed four knew charges totaling almost $300 from Turo so I called Turo hopeing they would help me fix the issue and at this point I was even willing to pay the $25 for the gas problem because after I went off on the dude I guess he added a $250 smoking charge and I don’t know what else but he never said nothing about that to me and I would have all the messages to show you but what Turo does is close your account after they charge you this money and you can’t go back and look at the messages that you and the hostess had For their protection this is so obvious what they are doing they do that on purpose and if you go back and look at all the other complaints on this page you will see that What I’m saying matches what they’ve all said I’m not the only person that says that this is such a scam and it is so ridiculous I thought this was a good app like I was talking so good about this app up until all this happened ! And the funny thing is and I know everybody says this but I really do not smoke I have never smoked my whole life I mean I can go back and get all of my medical records and prove to them that I am not a smoker what do you think Touro even gave me the time a day or the understanding or any leniency no they’re getting rich off of ripping people off and it should be against the law ! how is such a big company getting away with this! I’m supposed to go to my bank and they’re going to dispute it but I’m sure I’ll still be stuck paying it because Touro has a sneaky way and I even told the guy man I wish I had my messages I even told him those pictures that is not what that car look like it’s like he went and poured sand in it or something I swear to God and like I said I had somebody with me and they can tell you that car did not look like that! Yeah paying the money Made me mad because it was lies lies lies and after I told him off about the $25 then he adds $300 more and Turo just letting him do it! What made me more mad was the fact that I tried my best like who I don’t even know if does normal people go vacuum and wash the car before they return it but I did because I feel like we are dirty to little bit and then we put the gas in it right across the street didn’t even drive one minute across the road so when he messaged me about the gas it kind of Made me mad because I felt like he was so totally lying he had another car there he could’ve put that gas in there and use that receipt I don’t know but there’s some fishy stuff going on and it just made me mad because I had tried so hard to do the right thing and then he has this person that just keeps adding charges and make an applause in the company is backing them up I’m sure they get a percentage of it or something there’s some reason they back them up so much please if anybody’s a lawyer look into this I’m telling you this is not legal this is so illegal and it’s unfair All I wanted to do was go see my son in the Air Force and I get back to this

Divine Starr Springfield, PA

If I could do zero stars I would We signed up for Turo to give it a try, our car recently broke down and we had an appointment we had to get to. We scheduled with host Lakia in De. With her Chevy Traverse. (horrible horrible host who lied and completely ruined everything) less than 2 hours before the car was scheduled to be delivered host claims cancelled claims she was out the country and "lost" her phone and somehow miraculously found it in time to cancel prior to scheduled delivery. At this point we have already paid fully for our rental. After being inconvenienced by this host, who was passively aggressive in her horrible service, we contact Turo, who turns around and says now we have to go through another verification. We were ALREADY SCHEDULED PAID FOR ABD BOOKED! After telling Turo at this point this is illegal and scammy they denied my husband who was already previously approved, said it was due to him having a criminal background!!! More lies from this company, He has never as so much got a parking ticket! He has no points on his DL, however this company lied scammed and did not return our money right away! How do you do a criminal background check on just name an DOB with a person with an extremely common name! After spending over 3 hours trying to get a rep on the line who knew what they were doing I had to get my lawyer involved! This company and their host are the worse! Do not I repeat do not waste your time or money, an if you do by all means avoid host Lakia in Delaware with the 2013 Chevy Traverse! Worse experience, the company and the host all lie!!! Could not provide any proof to this alleged criminal record or DL issues. Completely totally lies, instead of penalizing their lying unprofessional host they turn around and do the same thing! My lawyer is still involved.

Nikki

Do not rent from Turo. You’re expected to fill up tires and maintenance cars with no consideration on how this impacts your time or plans for the day. After trying to go to a gas station to fill up tires (safety notification appeared), and taking it to a discount tire all on my own time - either the platform or the host had the nerve to charge me a $10 convenience fee to fill up .25 of the tank that was used. Mind you, the host didn’t bother to take their time to actually fill up the car and provide the car with a full tank of gas to begin with. This on top of a safety alert regarding the gear shifts ability to move without being unlocked that also resulted in me using my personal time to troubleshoot. Without question we returned the car immediately, and then I spend two days going back and forth with customer service. They don’t give ticket numbers, or read their notes so you have to re-explain the entire issue each time you call back. The customer service number dropped my call multiple times. I invested a full day of my personal time fighting for a refund. Without even so much as a “sorry for your inconvenience” for the host. My host was rude, and not detailed or customer service oriented, and Turo customer service is off shored and disorganized. Stay far far away.

Jonathan Adcock Gainesville, FL

unbelievable poor service. Tried signing up for Turo today. had issue with the app. tried customer service online and after speaking with 3 different online support personnel, they told me they would have to continue this via email, and I would hear from someone within 24 hours. I also tried calling the help phone #. Whatever you do, don't press "2". it does nothing. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. oh, and then hangs up on you a minute later. This company is not ready for the general public. Too many companies think they have a good idea, but have no operational experience in supporting nationwide operations. they need to shut down and go back to the drawing board until they learn how to do it properly.

GeV Madari Las Vegas, NV

Please avoid ever booking with Turo. Worst and scariest experience I have ever had booking a car. We rented a vehicle last week. Made sure to document all damages during checkin. A soon as you hit 60mph the vehicle would shake barely controlable. The vehicle was not safe to drive. When we returned the vehicle the host claimed the same windshield damage which was included with pictures in our checkin process. When we disputed the host got vengeful and claimed smoke damage as well with no proof of smoking. We thought we would be okay because Turo wouldn’t stand for such a scam. Needless to say, Turo immediately blocked my account and began unlawfully charging my credit card. Their only response was we trust our host and provided zero proof or explanation. After multiple fraudulent charges we had to make a report to our creditors. Turo will never help the guest, be prepared for more hidden fees after the end of the trip. We feel completely scammed. All the pictures before and after did nothing to help. Turo didn’t even care to review them. “Our decision is made” and nothing you say will change that was their response to a multiple 5 star guest.

Jordan Christley Houston, TX

DO NOT LIST YOUR CAR ON THIS PLATFORM. THEY ARE PREDATORS, AND THEY DON'T HAVE YOUR BACK. I have been a host twice. The first time things were so-so. Didn't make a profit, but I did cover the car note. The second time... My truck got damaged on the FIRST TRIP. I got $50 in exchange for.. - $20 for a car wash - $80 for a tracker - 2 hours to prepare the car - TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS FOR SOMETHING THAT IS NOT MY FAULT That's right. Somebody damaged my car on the first trip through no fault of my own, and Turo IS CHARGING ME $250 (w/ their 75% plan) Let me explain why this is so wrong: 1. Turo is their own insurance company. 2. They double charge for insurance. They charge you for insurance, then also the guest. (and they also charge the guest MORE fees behind the scenes) So, that means they keep my 25%, PLUS charge the guest for insurance, essentially having TWO insurance policies per trip. But if something happens, they charge BOTH of us a deductible. I lost money renting my car out, and now I have extra stress and financial troubles. And Turo couldn't care less. Anything to make a profit. p.s. In the response, they told me I should have got their 60% plan in order to not pay anything. Give Turo 40% of your money, (plus what they charge the guest) so you can... 1. Pay ALL costs related to the car 2. Pay for an insurance policy of your own 3. Coordinate with guests 4. Get the car washed 5. Get the car ready 6. Coordinate a drop off point. 7. Handle anything else related to it. If you add up ALL of the money that comes out of the guests pocket, you're getting LESS THAN HALF. While you do 95% of the work, and put up 100% of the investment. I used to encourage people to get on the platform. But you have no power if things go wrong, and Turo can't wait to screw you over for a few more dollars. Don't work with these vultures.

locoma Harris Atlanta, GA

I had a very bad experience with Turo. I received and email from them two days after my trip stating the Host said, I smoke in the car. I am not a smoker. Never smoke a day in my life and my Turo closed my account immediately. I could not send any proof of conversation the Host and I had had about removing the complaint, because my account was closed. I want back in fourth with Turo for 2 weeks trying to fix this issue and they did their investigation and said, the Host had evidence of ash in the back corner on the floor. I seen the pic and clearly that was put there by the Host for more money. I never took a pic of the inside of the car. The car was giving back like they gave it. I even explain to Host when I return car that it make a loud noise when you turn the car on and once you drive the car it goes away. I told them I will not complain to Turo, because it still driver. But, to look into it. After all the good Samaritan I get charge with a smoking valuation. They may have thought i was going to report that. What are the odds. I could not even get a courtesy from Turo to remove this one time and now they send me to collections. Please people take pics of inside and out of the car, floor and all. The Host can get money out of if the want and they know how to do it.

Brittany White Leland, NC

"Rented" a Turo vehicle in June 2022 to see family in Chicago. Initially the car was great, host communicated well and I left her with a great review. Upon completion, I received an email days later that I had been charged a smoking fee of $250. I received no warning, only an image that proved nothing. Knowing Turo's STRICT policies- we never smoked in the vehicle. I wrote to the host to try to clear up the confusion with no response. Turo would not allow me to dispute or appeal the claim, stating their decision was final based on the very weak and circumstantial evidence. They charged the card on file automatically. After numerous emails they still ignored my questions and concerns. I have never had any issues prior to this. I also find it very interesting that the allegation was made AFTER I gave the host a good review. Turo closed my account with complete disregard. I do not recommend their services as their customer support is poor and they do not give you the opportunity to fight back. Whatever the host claims is final and can not be reversed. Shame on you!

Dave Elgin West Des Moines, IA

I did Turo once. I signed up for a car and got a discount because I did it far in advance of my trip. Somehow, either Turo's fault, my error or the car owner's error the pick up time was put down as 3AM instead of 3PM. The car owner caught the problem and said to go in and change the time - NO PROBLEM! So I changed the time - 12 HOURS LESS TIME - and Turo said that I changed the contract so they charged me $81 for 12 hours of less time. After some hassle, I finally got the right supervisor and he fixed the problem. Everything with the car went great - I would have given a 5 star rating if it wasn't for the $81 charge that had to be corrected.

Brandon Felton Los Angeles, CA

I'm.Begging please just don't do it. It's to much risk with very little upside. I'm being asked to pay for damage that I didn't put on the car and my credit card refuses to pay because they say it isn't a rental. Now I'm expected to pay. Just don't do it. American express doesn't cover damage to the car. If the host lies and fabricated a damage claim you will be responsible. Also I booked a car at the airport unfortunately my host sent an Uber because the car wasn't at the airport because toro isn't allowed at the airport.

Gianna Austin San Francisco, CA

Turo was once great to me intill yesterday when I tried to book a car and it wouldn't let me I was on the chat since 1pm yesterday intill 6pm and nothing got resolved mind you I had a 9am appointment I had to be at this morning still can't book a car. Everytime I ask for manager they give me the run around or say someone will email you it's been a whole day I still haven't gotten an email. I missed my meeting because of this. I just hope I still have a job. All because the Turo team couldn't do there job. I wanna report all the workers I spoke with I would never rent from them ever again!!

Chi Lo Santa Clara, CA

Turo is a lame app. I rented a car and the car could only speed up to 25-30 mph, and the car has extreme noise and odor. I couldn’t drive it onto the highway for my own safety so they charged me 70 extra fee for that. And the customer service was extremely bad too. Turo support wasn’t any support, they just bring you another pain email with them. It look me a month and the problem wasn’t solved. And the host was very hostile she even threatened me. I got charged twice for the trip ! What a lame app causing me trouble and lost of money ! What a scam ! Turo is all about taking your money and not about giving you good experience !

Thomas Endres Greeley, CO

Avoid Turo. Rented a car in CA and our host accused us of smoking. WE DO NOT SMOKE. We were charged $257 and my wife's account was canceled. No opportunity to defend ourselves. After doing multiple customer service "chats" (what a joke; they kick things "upstairs," and upstairs just gives you the IDENTICAL form letter reply each time), we finally encountered an agent who emailed us "the proof." The host had made a fake text conversation using an app which made it appear my wife admitted to smoking. What a farce. We have submitted print outs from iCloud (which cannot be altered) of all her texts with the host. Obviously, the fake conversation isn't there. But Turo won't even look at the document. Just the same "we've made our final decision" form letter. I'm almost embarrassed for them as to how incompetent they are.

keeblero San Diego, CA

I would give negative stars if I could... They allow hosts to lie, defame and ripoff guests and do not have the proper customer service protocol in place to protect guests from unwarranted claims and charges. In my specific case, I was charged for their non-smoking policy which I understand - I don't like cars to be smoked in either and respect that policy. Upon returning my car, my credit card was automatically charged for $257.50 for violating the no smoking policy which I 100% did not. I was not even told of the acquisition prior to charging my credit card and then I received an email with subject "About your refund request (Trip 16818928)...which at that point I was not even aware of the charge....let alone requesting a refund. In photos attached to the email, it shows a couple small pieces of fresh, not burnt, green cannabis plant material. There was no ash, burnt joint left behind, smoke film on window, used cigarette lighter, or anything else proving the car was actually smoked in, which I unequivocally stand by saying the host is lying and Turo substantiated the lie that I smoked in the car. Plant material does not prove smoking whatsover. At best, it could lead someone to suspect it. Turo customer support is absolutely terrible too. I emailed right away 3 times in the first day and tried to contact via the chat option, but it was not working. Finally over 72 hours later I received an email saying their decision was final and I was kicked on Turo. I am fine not being able to use Turo again - I absolutely will never use them again....however, what really frustrates me is that this is a common occurrence and they do not have the proper customer service or measures in place to prevent fraudulent claims from being made and substantiated. In my case, if one can not have marijuana in the car, they explicitly need to list that in the terms and conditions under the no smoking policy. Additionally, they need to have a much more robust customer service response protocol to help guests out and they absolutely need to allow disputes..prior to automatically charging ones credit card. I included this entire complaint hoping that it prevents others from dealing with the same hassle and feeling like they were cheated, lied to and stolen from What out for this - I have seen numerous reports on social media saying the same thing about allowing hosts to make false claims

Paul Spotts Denver, CO

TURO will not cover you, if your renter goes off-roading in your car. Make sure to take pictures /videos of your undercarriage before every trip. NO, TURO Is not worth this hassle. We lost an $8000 car and claim for damages, because we didn't have pictures. But we had dirt and now a total loss on our car. Arbitration was a joke, you should contact TURO to opt out on sign up. Doesn't matter that we have a huge physical damage to our car transfer case from a rock being hit. Doesn't matter that the mechanic believes the damage is from off-roading and we have never gone off-roading. Doesn't matter that the car worked fine before the trip and they drove it 800 miles. TURO will screw you over. So take the video/photos or don't use TURO.

Sidewalk Homes Livermore, CA

Car was fine. Owner asked if I wanted to receive it unwashed (1 hour after scheduled time) or 30 minutes late unwashed. As we were at the airport, we chose to get it unwashed. No problem. After returning, we were notified the next day that an additional $150 was to be charged for 'excessive sand.' There was a little sand in the car when we returned it - we were in Hawaii for a week, ya think there'd be any sand in the car? 5 minutes of vacuuming and it's good to go, AND don't car rental companies have to clean/disinfect during Covid times? To charge $150 for this is a ripoff and feels like they are just trying to make extra money from us - and the car rental fee for 7 days was over $1000. Do NOT use Patrick in the Lihue airport location, he will likely rip you off too!

Christina Baillie Edinburgh, EDH

Turo is fine until something goes wrong. Then Turo and the Host will not lift a finger to help the Guest and will leave the Guest thousands out of pocket, which is what happened to us in Alberta, Canada. I was left stranded on the side of a major highway in the blistering heat for seven hours, yes seven hours! A tire blow out happened which I then engaged turo roadside assistance on. Roadside assistance were useless, to put it mildly. Could not figure out how to book a tow truck. The host did not care, did not help. Finally turo roadside assistance agreed for me to book a tow then send the invoice in for reimbursement. Of course now turo are refusing to reimburse, despite agreement on a recorded phone call with turo - they flat out refuse. I have emailed, called, explained the situation a million times but all I get back are stock emails; asking me to prove an agent said they would reimburse and even threatened me when I said I would be escalating the situation! Supervisors will never call back, still waiting on my call back and its been 2 weeks. Turo have charged my credit card with bogus charges which I am disputing with my credit card. Turo then emailed me to say disputing their charges is in violation of their terms of service so have restricted my account. Well fraudulently charging my credit card isn't right! Honestly do not ever humour the idea of using turo - if turo doesn't screw you over the host will. The Guest is liable for everything regardless. Hosts lie about damage - our host decided to change not only the tire that blew, but all remaining tires and decided he would bill me for the whole whack! I am so disgusted with the whole company, no doubt there is fraud happening everywhere in that company. Stay away from Turo!!

Charles Semine Head of Westport, MA

I used turo for the first time starting on 7/25/2022 with my husband. We used the car to drive my 84 year old mother around post a car accident for which she was hospitalized. We had been very happy with the rental and returned it on time with more gas than we had received on check in and ready to give high marks and be repeat customers. We were then notified that the host reported cigarette ashes in the car and we are being charged a penalty and kicked off the site. We do not smoke, we hate the smell of smoke, and we were not even around anyone who smoked over our stay. We were given no way to appeal this, no one to contact, and are completely flummoxed at this business model which would allow anyone to up charge by hundreds of dollars by dropping their own ashes into the car. The customer is then immediately kicked off the site and given no way to appeal. I guarantee you no one smoked in that car or anywhere near that car or before or after entering that car. We are incensed at the false accusation and charge and will never use this site again. We travel very often to see family and rent cars very often. I am reporting this treatment to as many review sites as I can and to the Better Business Bureau.

Esther Romanov Citrus Heights, CA

I have rented through Turo many times before and am disappointed with the Turo customer service. I had a promo code from Turo sent to my email and stating that when I rent again, that I will get one free day with them. I clicked on the promo code to book a trip, but it was not working. I contacted support before even booking the trip for some help with the promo. Turo customer support assured me to book the car and Turo will refund the trip, since the promo was not working. I booked the trip and when the trip ended, Turo support stated they will not give a refund. They had the proof of a conversation I had, with Turo support and still decided not to do anything. I have booked a total of five trips with Turo, each for about 7 days. I enjoyed using the app and always have an easy booking with the host. The host's are friendly and very helpful. The issue is with Turo Reprensitive and the company having poor customer service.

Lilly Glendora, CA

I really want to put no star, but this system of course forces you to give at least a star to post a review. Customers beware TURO allows its hardworking well-paying customers to be ripped off by some of their host. This company does nothing to protect the paying customer. Host are using their position to commit fraud and rip off insurance and the customer. I hope there will be a class action suit against TURO very soon because I know we are not the only ones taken advantage of by a host. The host in particular first tried BLACKMAIL he wanted $500 cash app to him to make it all go away, and when we declined to do that, he began making a series of fraudulent claims. He put ashes in the car took pictures and said there was smoking damage. that's a lie because my husband does not smoke, then he said the tire was low and now the vehicle needs a brand-new tire. We suspect he just let the air out took a picture of his dash and made a claim. Oh, and to add insult to injury now he has some body damage claim. This is ridiculous!! After doing some research I am learning that people know TURO won't really investigate their lies and Turo will pay out these claims' top dollar to the host, so certain host scheme and scam to get paid off unsuspecting customers. I am not saying that all host are doing this, but Turo needs to understand that this becoming well known as a loophole that scammers will use to take advantage of the customer and Turo needs to do a better job of vetting these hosts and listening to as well as protecting their customers. I am sure there will be many more customers writing and complaining and eventually pursuing legal means to stop this blatant customer abuse.

Luv light Houston, TX

Absolutely ridiculous!!! This shareride platform is not set up for host who simply want to make passive income.. I currently own several vehicles that I no longer drive. A few years back I was a passenger in a car accident that let me traumatized, therefore I no longer drive or sit in the front seats. When my license expired I didn’t renew it because I have a driver. Moving forward I decided to list my vehicles on Turo only to find out a HOST is required to have a active drivers license! This makes absolute no sense. When enrolling Turo gives you the option to upload a license, passport or other form of government ID. However, once I completed enrollment and listing my vehicle I later received an email asking for my drivers license. Why? If you allow other forms of ID to verify identification and a host is NOT driving anyone around obtaining the host drivers license makes no sense especially if a vehicle is fully insured and registered in their state. Some people just want the luxury of making passive income without leaving their homes. Who came up with this system? Once again another platform discriminating against people who are suffering from anxiety due to a traumatic experience. No license therefore you aren’t welcomed as a host!!!!! Thanks Turo

I’llrentyacar North Richland Hills, TX

As a host I have a mixed review… these renters who say they get charged $150 for a cleaning fee and all they had was a little dog hair or smoke in the car and lie about it and get charged $250 know the rules. the renter is usually fully aware of the no pets and no smoking policy and usually are told of the policy again when they are checked into the car. We charge because the next person who rents the car might be allergic to dog hair or smoke and will leave a horrible review and so we usually have to have it professionally cleaned which is easily $150… also, we have to take pics before and after the rental to prove that the customers mess is worth the charge. Turo reps make the decision based on pictures so usually the renter really didn’t give a crap and did what they wanted. as far as customer service… it is horrible on both ends. Hosts and guests. You can’t understand the person you are talking to when and if you do get someone on the phone and usually their hands seem to be tied on any help you may need. The coverage for the host is a joke. It’s not insurance, but coverage…. If you get my drift. Their insurance description is so vague that if something happens to the car you are worried sick until it’s resolved.

Juliana Toala

Do not do business with this company. They let people smoke in your cars and do absolutely nothing to resolve things. My car is absolutely ruined and theyve done nothing except put the burden me

rochelle demello San Jose, CA

I had a great experience on my trip. Chun K is a great host. He picked us up at the airport and drop off was just as worry free. I was kind of skeptical of using Turo for my first time but Not any more I will rent from Turo from now instead of the rental car agencies. The only problem I had was I wanted to cancel the insurance that I added for my trip and tried to get a hold of customer service before my trip began after finding out my insurance would cover me 100% there was no phone number to call customer service and every time I tried to send an email it kept say address unknown. That’s probably something I did wrong but now I know better. All in all it was pretty perfect vacation.

Adam T Newport Beach, CA

In an age where everyone wants to be able to control everything with their mobile device it was only a matter of time before personal car rentals became a thing. Renting exotic cars from mainstream agencies was a hassle and with so many liabilities and extra charges you never felt comfortable driving on the road. The whole experience with Turo was completely different. Looking for specific cars was a fun process and the filters were useful in narrowing down the list. We had a specific car in mind, including colour, so went searching straight for that. Everything was self explanatory and easy to follow. Having 2 different options for insurance type was nice too. Unfortunately, Turo depends on ‘non-employees’ to make sure your experience is seamless which I can imagine sometimes doesn’t happen but our experiences have been great and we’d certainly use the app and our lenders again!

Charles Hoffman Estates, IL

Went to Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ to spend some time at a Hip Hop Convention and some time relaxing with the family. I've always wanted to drive a Tesla and see how feasible it would be to have one of my own. After searching Tesla rentals, Turo was the first site to come up. I was a bit skeptical at first but started reading reviews from customers because I've never heard of Turo before. I thought I'd give it a try. Turo is the AirBnB for cars. I rented a Tesla Model S from a Tesla owner. He dropped the car off at the airport where we met. He showed me everything I needed to know to drive the vehicle and made sure I was comfortable and good to go before he left since I've never say in a Tesla before. I'm now shopping for one and plan on purchasing a Tesla within the next year.

Jen Davie Sanford, ME

We are a family of six who recently traveled to Salt Lake City, UT from Maine. When shopping for a rental car, we were unable to find a deal online, as we were sized out of the standard sedan option (due to the sixth passenger). I was chatting with my mom about our situation, and she remembered a friend using Turo in Salt Lake City previously. I contacted her friend to hear about her experience and decided to give Turo a try! I am so happy that we used Turo as our rental car option! We saved a ton of money and had a great ride while visiting Utah. The person we rented from was amazing and went above in beyond to ensure that our rental experience was fantastic! I will definitely use Turo again in the future when traveling!

Bill Wegesend Happy Valley, OR

Turo is an excellent option over traditional rental car agencies where you have a better selection to what you really want to drive. In my experience I was able to rent a 2019 Corvette with only a couple thousand miles on it and a 2017 Jaguar F-Type both in immaculate conditions while in Hawaii. At first I was very cautious about using this online service however now I'm sold on it based on my experience. Turo is there for you if you need them but their All Star Hosts are outstanding with reliable beautiful cars. Some with cars you'd never be able to rent at traditional rental car agencies i.e. Telsa, Porchse, Audi. Jaguar, etc. Turo online is quick and easy and highly reccomend it to all. Bill W. from Happy Valley, Oregon

Alex Vorderman Fort Wayne, IN

Started this whole process on Kayak at my home in Fort Wayne, around 10:30pm the night before I needed a vehicle in Denver the following day around noon. I waited til the last minute so all SUV's from the mainstream rental companies were pricey. I remembered I downloaded the Turo app a couple years ago for fun to see what kind of cars were available here in Fort Wayne. Checked out the app, found not only a Suburban, but a very cool RST version, for less than any of the rental companies large SUV's. Requested it at 11pm, and at 12:04am, Mike, the owner responded and confirmed. He sent his daughter to the airport, right outside baggage claim so I didn't need to get a shuttle to rental companies a couple miles away, and his daughter took an Uber home. At dropoff, we met in the same location. It truly was the most luxurious, seamless transaction with a rental vehicle I've ever had. If all Turo experiences are as good as this was for me, Turo is going to take over the rental industry. I've been describing it to others as "the AirBnB for rental cars." Maybe one day AirBnB will buy out Turo for big $$$$! ; )

Brandon Kopack Freehold, NJ

Great experience using turo twice both trips were in Los Angeles and both trips were smooth and easy. First trip we picked up the car at the turo lot right by the airport and dropped off in same location. Second trip we picked up the car from the car owners place also right by the airport and dropped off at the turo lot by LAX. Over all great experience using this app. Much better renting through Turo rather then a car rental at the airport because of how quick and easy the process is. Get the car keys, take pictures to document how the car looks when picking up, then drive away. Super easy and get to rent awesome cars. Thanks Turo!

Laura Williams Allen, TX

I recently used Turo to rent a vehicle from Boston L after my adult son told me about Turo and the good experience he had using it. I found the website to be easy to navigate. I was looking for a car that would be mechanically sound and older, as securing a low price for my 11 day rental was important. When I first used the Turo app expensive rentals showed up first, but I set a filter on the app for my price range and found several vehicles to chose from. I was happy with the vehicle I picked. It was a 2010 Toyota that ran fine, had fantastic A/C, and plenty of included miles. The owner that I rented from responded to messages quickly and was easy to work with. He was also courteous. I had no problems during my rental period, so there was no need to contact him then, as I returned the vehicle as arranged, washed and vacuumed, since I got sand in it. So, 5 stars from me: The app was easy to navigate, liability insurance is included at no extra cost, I found a vehicle that fit my budget, my expectations were reasonable for a vehicle 9 years old, and the owner was honest and the car was fine. Don’t hesitate! Try Turo!

Crystal Carrillo Seattle, WA

First time using Turo and so glad I went with Shamsulh's vehicle. He's very professional, organized and prompt with his responses. He asked for our flight info in order for them to track our flight for a smooth curbside pickup. Derek (Shamsulh's associate) picked us up outside of baggage claim within 10 minutes. We dropped Derek off at the pickup/dropoff location which was 5 minutes from the airport. We ended up renting two beach chairs and an umbrella from them which came in handy. The vehicle was clean, ran well and has AC! I would recommend renting a vehicle from Shamsulh to my family and friends.

Dale Columbus, OH

I had a decent first experience with Turo. The process of booking a car was straightforward. One thing I really liked that Turo offered was the ability for me to quickly modify the end time of the rental when I found out I needed the car for later in the day. Unfortunately, the car I rented turned out to have a strong burnt cigarette odor. I was running late so I didn't have time to speak with anyone. At the end of the day when I dropped off the car, I followed the instructions for ending the rental, which prompted me to leave feedback for both Turo and the owner of the car. I decided to leave private feedback for them since I had an excellent time independent of the unpleasant burnt cigarette odor. Within hours of leaving the feedback, I got a reply from the owner first and then Turo. The owner was apologetic and offered me to contact him personally before renting another car so he can ensure it is odor free. Turo was also apologetic and gave me credit for another rental. With that done, my only complaint is why was I given a car that had a bad cigarette odor in the first place? The owner shouldn't have had the car I rented available for rental if he knew, but I'm guessing he didn't have time to check the car before giving it to me? But it's water over the dam, I forgive him and plan to rent a car from him when I need a car rental. I'd like to thank both Turo and the owner of the car for providing friendly customer service.

Susan Simpson Albany, OR

I booked a car on TURO for the first time a few months ago in anticipation of the birth of our grandson this past month. The company and the app were both new to me and I installed the app with no issues and found it easy to navigate. There are many cars, many price points, from which to choose and I found a car I thought would be perfect for my use while I was in Washington State. The app offers secure messaging as well as secure payment. The process was seamless and the car was available to me just as promised with both the pickup and return easy and convenient . I highly recommend TURO and will use this service again.

Charles Griffiths Binghamton, NY

First time Turo user since rental service was not great at a smaller airport I flew in to. The experience was overwhelmingly positive. The biggest plus was the convenience. My car was waiting for me right outside the baggage claim area of the airport. Took 5 minutes to be on my way. Then, I dropped the car off at the departure entrance of the airport which took another 5 minutes max and I was on my way. The car, although a few years old, was immaculate, mechanically perfect and the owner was very easy to communicate with by text or phone. So,,,, I'm sold on Turo for convenience and the pricing beat the big name rental companies.

Marcelle Curtis Ft. Washington, MD

St first I was a bit skeptical having never heard or used Turo, but it was easier than expected. How often is it you can choose the exact ride you wane instead of a category or even choose a reasonable pickup and drop off date. That’s what sold me on Turo is that I needed a 4 wheel drive from a rental company and they told me they do not know if they would have one and to call back the day before I needed to rent. That was not comforting especially if I called just to find out they didn’t have a 4 wheel and everyone knows that the closer you reserve a rental, the pricier it gets. Turo is the complete opposite and that’s what I love about Turo. The price, the convenience, the process and the choice,

Brandon Nease

I had a guys trip planned for Tahoe and 1 of the people in our group rented from the airport. It was a mid sized SUV. after we did a head count and realized our luggage and oversized ski bags were needed, I checked Turo. I have used it with my wife in the past on trips with kids to Florida. We found a local SUV with more room and comfort, and the owner had a ski box for it which we didnt have an option for from the car rental place. The Turo owner was quick to respond , easy to coordinate with, and overall a really nice guy. We had a blast, used it to get to our rental, skied all week, then returned the vehicle to the owner at passenger pick up at the airport.

808 Girl Flowood, MS

This was my first Turo experience and when traveling in cities where it is available, I don't think I will ever get a conventional rental car again. The selection, price and ease of use (pickup/drop off) was amazing. There was a little confusion on my end when it came to documenting the pick up and drop off (car condition and mileage etc.) when picking up from an airport location things move pretty quickly and there wasn't much time to understand and go through the process - which I could foresee causing problems. I think that Turo needs to provide/point customers to instructions for the pick up and drop off documentation process at the time of rental confirmation so that they are aware of what is expected and how to get everything done.

Brandy Babnaw Winter Haven, FL

This was our first time using the app and we were very leary of how it worked. We were so pleasantly surprised!! The process was easy there was no deposit and no credit card needed just my bank card. It takes a photo of your license and a photo of your face and it uploaded quickly. We added the basic insurance for the three days we rented at just $9 a day. We chose to have the car dropped off to us for just an extra $40 which also included them picking it up. It was extremely easy to communicate with the car owner with the messaging system in the app as well. When the car owner drops off the car they take photos and then before you drive it you also take and upload photos and the same at the end. It was a fantastic experience and we will be using it again! Thank you so much!

Carl Morris Savannah, GA

Turo is the greatest invention since Uber. The concept is brilliant and it works flawlessly. It was so easy and quick to use the website and or App. I rented on the website and checked in on the app. Unlike the major rental companies there is no extra amount held on my card, Payment process is the easiest and quickest. My hosts were the greatest and the cars were as good or better than I could have gotten anywhere else. I had to contact support for an issue and they were extremely responsive. I needed another reservation and Ron made all the arrangements and called me. I cannot say enough about the support, service, and relationships I built simply being a customer. My host delivered and retrieved the car at no extra charge and he was so accommodating and professional, I felt like I had made a new friend. Please don't change anything... It's perfect!

Nick Basiaga Boynton Beach, FL

It was my first time using Turo. I heard about it from a friend and wanted to try an alternative to the traditional car rental. Both the website and iPhone app were easy to use and Turo had a large selection of vehicles available. I rented a Mercedes SUV from Ade and I could not be happier that I did. The vehicle was clean and he provided more miles than I actually needed. Both pick up and drop off were a breeze and the whole rental cost was much less than any traditional rental company for the same type of vehicle. I plan to continue using Turo and I hope to rent from someone as professional as Ade.

Gabriel Perry Huntington Beach, CA

I was traveling to Tampa fl from HB Ca for a week to look at homes and I booked my trip including my car rental . The day of my trip I was notified my rental was canceled and they had no cars I was infuriated at how terrible the commercial car rental industry has become . If it was not for Turo I would of been Car less and could not of accomplished what I went to Tampa for . The car was a luxury vehicle and was cheaper then any traditional rental co . Turo is amazing and an awesome easy experience . Once they offer unlimited miles they are going to kill the commercial car rental industry . Thank you Turo I will use you for now on in my travels for a rental car