Turo Logo

Key Details

• Airbnb Model for Car Rental
  • Availability in 300+ Airports and 4,500+ Cities
  • Rent a Unique Car from a Local Owner

Summary

Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, California in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for the pros and cons of Turo car rental or skip to the Turo reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids, and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign-up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing in to your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the Turo host and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35 percent lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 per day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets, and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee — 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee — varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee — 20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee — varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee — 10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, is made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo's insurance, owners can either use Turo's policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

When owners decline Turo's insurance coverage, they are considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their commercial rental insurance policy verified by Turo prior to renting any of their vehicles.

Turo's originally offered three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. The Premium, Standard, and Basic plans (available before July 1, 2020). All three plans came with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

As of July 1, 2020 Turo offers five vehicle protection plans: the 60 Plan, 70 Plan, 75 Plan, 80 Plan, and the 85 Plan.

All five plans provide up to $750,000 in third-party liability insurance (offered by Liberty Mutual) and varying levels of contractual reimbursement (reflected in the plan names) from Turo for physical damage and theft. However, bear in mind that the level of available reimbursement will vary depending on the chosen plan.

We recommend consumers thoroughly read Turo's detailed terms and conditions for more information regarding Turo's car insurance.

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo's coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection. We recommend you refer to the company's website for detailed information on each plan.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Variable Restrictions
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Variable Restrictions

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100. Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current U.S. licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big difference between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out-of-the-ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and Turo host.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

Have you used Turo? Would you recommend it to a friend? Let us know by leaving a review below.

View Best Car Sharing Companies

3.8

Charles Semine Head of Westport, MA

I used turo for the first time starting on 7/25/2022 with my husband. We used the car to drive my 84 year old mother around post a car accident for which she was hospitalized. We had been very happy with the rental and returned it on time with more gas than we had received on check in and ready to give high marks and be repeat customers. We were then notified that the host reported cigarette ashes in the car and we are being charged a penalty and kicked off the site. We do not smoke, we hate the smell of smoke, and we were not even around anyone who smoked over our stay. We were given no way to appeal this, no one to contact, and are completely flummoxed at this business model which would allow anyone to up charge by hundreds of dollars by dropping their own ashes into the car. The customer is then immediately kicked off the site and given no way to appeal. I guarantee you no one smoked in that car or anywhere near that car or before or after entering that car. We are incensed at the false accusation and charge and will never use this site again. We travel very often to see family and rent cars very often. I am reporting this treatment to as many review sites as I can and to the Better Business Bureau.

20 hours ago

Esther Romanov Citrus Heights, CA

I have rented through Turo many times before and am disappointed with the Turo customer service. I had a promo code from Turo sent to my email and stating that when I rent again, that I will get one free day with them. I clicked on the promo code to book a trip, but it was not working. I contacted support before even booking the trip for some help with the promo. Turo customer support assured me to book the car and Turo will refund the trip, since the promo was not working. I booked the trip and when the trip ended, Turo support stated they will not give a refund. They had the proof of a conversation I had, with Turo support and still decided not to do anything. I have booked a total of five trips with Turo, each for about 7 days. I enjoyed using the app and always have an easy booking with the host. The host's are friendly and very helpful. The issue is with Turo Reprensitive and the company having poor customer service.

Lilly Glendora, CA

I really want to put no star, but this system of course forces you to give at least a star to post a review. Customers beware TURO allows its hardworking well-paying customers to be ripped off by some of their host. This company does nothing to protect the paying customer. Host are using their position to commit fraud and rip off insurance and the customer. I hope there will be a class action suit against TURO very soon because I know we are not the only ones taken advantage of by a host. The host in particular first tried BLACKMAIL he wanted $500 cash app to him to make it all go away, and when we declined to do that, he began making a series of fraudulent claims. He put ashes in the car took pictures and said there was smoking damage. that's a lie because my husband does not smoke, then he said the tire was low and now the vehicle needs a brand-new tire. We suspect he just let the air out took a picture of his dash and made a claim. Oh, and to add insult to injury now he has some body damage claim. This is ridiculous!! After doing some research I am learning that people know TURO won't really investigate their lies and Turo will pay out these claims' top dollar to the host, so certain host scheme and scam to get paid off unsuspecting customers. I am not saying that all host are doing this, but Turo needs to understand that this becoming well known as a loophole that scammers will use to take advantage of the customer and Turo needs to do a better job of vetting these hosts and listening to as well as protecting their customers. I am sure there will be many more customers writing and complaining and eventually pursuing legal means to stop this blatant customer abuse.

Luv light Houston, TX

Absolutely ridiculous!!! This shareride platform is not set up for host who simply want to make passive income.. I currently own several vehicles that I no longer drive. A few years back I was a passenger in a car accident that let me traumatized, therefore I no longer drive or sit in the front seats. When my license expired I didn’t renew it because I have a driver. Moving forward I decided to list my vehicles on Turo only to find out a HOST is required to have a active drivers license! This makes absolute no sense. When enrolling Turo gives you the option to upload a license, passport or other form of government ID. However, once I completed enrollment and listing my vehicle I later received an email asking for my drivers license. Why? If you allow other forms of ID to verify identification and a host is NOT driving anyone around obtaining the host drivers license makes no sense especially if a vehicle is fully insured and registered in their state. Some people just want the luxury of making passive income without leaving their homes. Who came up with this system? Once again another platform discriminating against people who are suffering from anxiety due to a traumatic experience. No license therefore you aren’t welcomed as a host!!!!! Thanks Turo

Reta Hampton Alexandria, VA

Rented a vehicle July 11, 2022. Used it from 9 a.m to 5:30 p.m. Host would not meet me to pick up car and also would not meet me to return vehicle. All messages from the host were positive. He did not contact me about any damage or issues after the vehicle was returned to him in exactly the same condition as picked up, in the same exact location. Two days later, Turo contacted me with a claim that I had cracked the windshield and demanded I pay the $500 deductible. This is a scam. Rent at your peril.

Mira K Bend, OR

The initial rental booking went smoothly. Then unexpectedly, our flight was cancelled so, logically, I changed our Turo reservation immediately so the host would not be inconvenienced. Because ur reservation was adjusted by a day, we were suddenly charged an additional $70 delivery fee which was originally waived because our trip was 7 days. Somehow, this translates to costing more for one less day. When I reached out to Turo customer service, I got on a two hour roller coaster ride of customer service messaging on their app leading to calls to a service center that looped back to links to the billing department. Eventually, we were told that the only way we could avoid the additional charge is by asking the host to send us a message to waive it and taking a screen shot of that message. Talk about crazy and unprofessional! We will never get that time back and will obviously never use Turo again.

Cameron Brown Charlotte, NC

I rented a passenger van from Turo for a family vacation to Orlando and long story short the van had issues and needed to be repaired. My reservation was canceled while in Orlando leaving me stranded without a vehicle. Now, I’m having a hard time getting reimbursed for a 3rd party rental and Ubers expense all which I was told would be cover by Turo. The customer service line doesn’t provide accurate information and no one knows what they are doing. Also, be prepared to be on the phone for hours and days at a time only to get no where.

Dino Haak Seattle, WA

This is our experience: Our first vacation since Covid with a planned agenda of visiting our 97 year old aunt in Long Beach for 5 days and then going on a sightseeing trip to Death Valley. We rented a Fiat 500. The car (which we only used for about 150 miles) started displaying an airbag failure warning on day 5, so we alerted Turo and they arranged a backup car for us so we could continue on to Death Valley. Figuring out the logistics took more than two hours of phone conversations and waiting on hold that day. The second car, also a Fiat 500 - provided by a different host - broke down on us on the first day in Death Valley. Luckily we had pulled over at one of the resorts that also had a adjacent car repair shop. After running several tests the mechanic determined that we were dealing with a failed battery and that it could not be recharged, so anytime we made a stop and turned off the car, we would not be able to start it again. After another two hours on the phone with Turo and finally being taken care of by one of their supervisors, we found out that Turo could tow the car and set us up with another backup car provided by a local host (near Death Valley and probably from Pahrump, NV). However, per Turo rules, the car can only be dropped off at the same location as it was picked up. Regarding my question how we would get back to Los Angeles, since we had to drop off the car again in the Death Valley region, the supervisor had no solution. He said Turo provides a maximum of $60 worth of Uber vouchers, but there would be no other way to get us back to LA using a Turo car. The supervisor admitted to the dilemma and gave us permission to have the car checked and fixed so we could get back. The Death Valley mechanic could not replace the battery since he had none in stock and Turo roadside assistance were not willing to deliver a battery to our location. They only tow or jump start cars. At this point we had spoken with two separate supervisors who both were extremely sorry for the inconveniences we suffered and agreed that our options were limited and that this was not ok. Though neither could help us in this case. So we had our car jump-started and drove ourselves all the way to Pahrump, Nevada through Death Valley with a failed battery. A 112 mile round trip. We contacted the host and let her know that her battery failed and informed her about all the details involved since we were under the impression Turo and their hosts are one and the same company (more about that at the end of the review). We spent $225.95 on a brand new battery. We have not been reimbursed to this day. When we arrived back to Seattle from our trip we found a charge on our account for $19 for going over the allotted mileage. A) We had to drive an extra 112 miles to get to the closest place that had a battery replacement and B) we booked a car for 10 days at 200 miles per day. With receiving a backup car the mileage started over, so for the 4 days on the backup car we lost over 1000 miles of the overall booked 2000 total since we only used the first car for about 150 miles. Eventually this charge was refunded. However at the cost of us spending at least another two hours on the phone with agends and on hold to have it resolved. We also found that our host had sent us a very unkind message on the Turo site that she had to spend $80 to have her car checked since we reported the battery and brake issues. She claimed that the brakes were brand new and that was the reason why they made creaky sounds and rattled the car when you pushed them. Note: We never met the host herself since one of her friends dropped off / picked up the car. The host also left a slanderous review on my Turo account accusing me of "hitting my own children behind the corner" (? I don'have children btw.) and that I alledgedly tampered with her headlight. The right headlight did not work when we returned the car. We pointed this out to the person who picked up the car (who wasn't the host). Since we never drove the car at night (and only drove in the dusk one time) we did not notice. The light might have been out from the very beginning. My responses to her were always very civil and polite. What set her off was the fact that Turo required her to have her car checked (which cost her money). She fabricated several other points in her review and we will now have to have Turo remove it. We have all this in the messages on our Turo site. If a Turo agent took the time to read through the messages (that was our only form of communication with her) and the hosts review they will see the false statements that were made. We were promised a refund via a voicemail by one of the supervisors right after we returned on May 17th (we have it on file still). After nothing happened for a week I contacted Turo again and they then promised the refund within 24 hours in writing on May 24th. Nothing. In the meantime I had to travel to Europe for three weeks and did not have time to deal with Turo from over there. When I got back I made three more attempts to be reimbursed, two times I was told again that the refund would be there within 24 hours and the last time, just a couple of days ago, the Turo agent told me that the Executive team "still had not made a decision on the refund". In the meantime Turo first billed the first host for the battery that we bought for the car of our second host. I contacted Turo to make them aware of their mistake after our first host was stuck on the phone with them for over an hour to try and resolve that it was not his car that needed a battery replacement. Turo then posted on my account page that they would be charge ME for the $225.95. We got charged for the battery that we had paid for out of pocket (mind boggling!). We had to put our credit card on hold so the charge would not go through. Yesterday we contacted a lawyer for guidance. And today I am starting to submit our experience to review sites and the social media. We will also be reporting this to the California Attorney General office. I have no more patience. Here are the key points: Turo sent us out in car with a failed battery and brake issues. We do not believe that the issues came from the brakes being brand new. This could have ended up potentially very dangerous for us since we had to cross Death Valley in a compromised car (and yes, Death Valley is one of Turo's advertised destinations in the region, see the offical site). Turo's regulations do not allow to drop off a car in a different location than where it was picked up. If you drive a distance away from your pickup location and anything happens to the Turo vehicle you rented, Turo can provide you with a backup vehicle, but you will need to drop it off where you picked it up. Turo does not have a solution on how to get you back to your starting point. It does not appear that Turo reliably knows the condition of the cars provided by their hosts. The car we rented had an old reconditioned battery in it (as confirmed by the host in writing) that failed us. We spent 15 hours total on the phone with Turo since. This is the combined time of speaking/ texting with agents and being on hold. We have copies of our phone records and all the Chat emails and screenshots. The Turo agents all were trying to be very helpful, I have to give them big points for that. But they could not help us because of the above mentioned Turo regulations and because the executive billing team was unresponsive. I asked to speak with an agent over the phone a few days ago, but Turo has changed their contact options. You cannot talk with an agent over the phone directly anymore. It is beyond frustrating to have a company just not respond when it comes to an owed and promised reimbursement. I also do not believe it is safe to drive Turo provided vehicles. I am sure there are many good, responsible hosts out there (like our first host) that take care of their cars and care about their guests, but the fact that we were sent out with a potentially dangerous vehicle leads to the assumption that there may be many more cars in their fleet out there that have not been appropriately checked for road worthiness. I would also urge Turo to check the remaining fleet of cars our host has with them. She claims to have 13 cars total working for Turo. And if a Turo representative reads this, the reservation number associated with this review is 14933768. You will see that all that I stated here is correct and has been reported to Turo several times.

Steve M Hicksville, NY

We got charged an extra $150 for a slight amount of sand in the car and for having some sunscreen smudges on the passenger side door on the inside. Keep in mind we rented the car for eight days during the summer in...Hawaii. The website specifically says that renters do not need to run the car through a car wash. Given that the car owner should expect to have to wash the car after a week and that the work needed to remove the sunscreen and sand shouldn't take more than five minutes, this extra charge is a clear cash grab by the owner that was backed up by Turo. The upshot: Go with a real car rental company to avoid getting nickel and dimed.

Robin Oclassen Tucson, AZ

I was referred to Turo thru a friend. I decided to create an account to book a rental for an upcoming event I had scheduled. I submitted all the required information and received a notice that my account was under review. I was immediately curious as to why since I had checked the requirements before applying and found that I met all the criteria. Two days later- I was still under review so I decided to chat and find out more information, The agent had no information to give me and only forwarded my account to another department. I was told I would get a 2 hour response time. The next day I heard nothing so I once again reached out to chat support. I was told once again that they would send my account for review and I will be contacted. I was interested in finding out why an account would be restricted. No one would tell me. When I looked into the process for being approved it simply said a valid license and 18 years or older, I surely did not expect to be treated so rudely and unprofessionally. Finally, after 5 days I received a response via email saying I was restricted and my account was revoked for *Failed background check- (the website doesn't list that as a requirement. plus my background is over 8 years old and hasn't prevented me from renting vehicles elsewhere, *A high risk flagg from Turo's internal department- (I can't even get an explaination as to what the high risk is or was.) *One or more Driving violations ( I had gotten a meter ticket this years but that was paid in full) I haven't had anything on my driving record for the past 7 years.) *Violation of Turo's terms and conditions (which is completely absurd. My account not only was denied but it was REVOKED and Blocked from ever registering again. I am completely appalled by the process in which they approve their guests and feel that they handled my account completely unprofessional . Customer Service goes a long way and I will be telling others about my experience so that in the future Turo's can re evaluate their approval process. This company has crappy customer service and no respect for it's account members.

Hooked OnTronics Huddleston, VA

Dragana M. is an awful host who left my family and I stranded in Las vegas. We arrived late at night from traveling all day from the East coast. We booked several times before with turo, and always had a great experience. For this trip, we were scheduled for 11 days and about $170 a day for an Audi. We located the vehicle in the parking garage, but we could not get the vehicle opened using the Toro Go app. We reached out to The Host, Dragana M. who never apologized, said I'm sorry, let me see what's going on, etc. Instead, Dragana M. only messaged using the app and said to contact Turo. When we try calling, the number didn't work, and I advise that I was trying to reach out to her, but she replied, she only talks using the messenger app. So here we were, stranded late at night in the Las Vegas parking garage, with no vehicle, and no offer of assistance. My family, including the child were stranded and Dragana M in Las Vegas could care less. I couldn't believe it, I've had great experience with hosts, and we were nervous, given it so late at night, we didn't know how we would get a vehicle to use for our trip. Ultimately, the staff at Turo help this out. They noted how unprofessional Dragana M. was as a host. Obviously there was not much they can do with Dragana M. at that moment. They offered roadside assistance, and sent someone to unlock the vehicle. But that was going to take a while, and so they offered to put us in another vehicle and we found a host late at night who was willing to personally drop off a vehicle. The price was more expensive, but Turo gave us a credit for the difference. Turo is 5 Stars, but they need to suspend Dragana M. for at least a month. Turo is only as good as it's hosts, and Dragana M was horrific to say the least. No doubt about it, if I was the CEO of Turo, and I had that experience, she'd be banned for life. I would never want any customer to go through what we went through. Budget car rental would have been a far better experience. Ultimately, everything worked out, and we had a good trip with a great host. We will continue to use Turo, but this did almost sabotage any future rentals with Turo. Dragana M. Las Vegas is the worst host by far. I don't know if anything could be worse. There are plenty of other great hosts in Las Vegas, and Dragana M it's not one of them. Ultimately the reviews for Dragana M. Are not accurate, because our trip was canceled through her as a host, and therefore we were unable to review her. Dragana M. horrible host and human being. Shameful!

April Ferguson Franklin, TN

Turo is trash and are thieves. I rented a car for one day. I received the car filthy inside and out, I didn’t know I had to take pictures of dirt. I had an incident with the car cosmetically a (scratch). When Turo owner submitted the pictures he tried to show some type of dirt which they are calling ashes and say I smoked in the car. Owner stated that he had to submit thorough pictures of everything just cause. I am not a smoker of any kind might I add and speaking with the owner I asked him to please contact Turo and let them know that I was not the one to do that, he stated he did and that it was out of his hands and left up to Turo. Turo stated I still violated the terms and would not regress the violation instead they will charge me 300. I told them I’m not paying so they deleted my account and want to put it in collections. Never deal with Turo they are cooks and liars and thieves!

Erin Young Daly City, CA

I just bought a used 2015 Honda CRV in Feb and started hosting Turo in April. I got really booked on the first day all the way til September. My price was only $35 a day. I did the 75% protection plan. Everything was going good up until my 7th guest. I got a last minute cancellation in May but I got another booking that same day. I felt kind of weird about it. My guest arrived at the airport and assumed I was going to pick him up there?? He did not see the location was 20 min away from the airport. He finally arrived and took the keys, I just kept having a funny feeling. Sure enough I get a call from him a few days later saying he drove over a rock and hit the oil pan and needed a tow truck. My heart just dropped. My car was towed to my mechanic but the mechanic said he won’t be able to fix it. It looked bad! I reported the claim on the same day. An associate spoke to me and said everything would be taken care of. You don’t have to worry. I just need a diagnostic report from your mechanic. Now it’s 4 weeks later and still NO HELP from Turo. Communication is TERRIBLE!!! I’ve gotten emails and phone calls from my mechanic and he sent us the diagnostic report about a week ago. Turo says they didn’t receive it yet!?!? How come? I’ve sent all the emails to [email protected] But nothing, no respond. Days go by and she still replies, I’m still waiting for a diagnostic report. What is going on?? What is so hard? Check your emails and reply! So frustrating!! Really Bad customer service. I lost my income, and out a vehicle. I had to cancel all my trips for the rest of the year. My car is totaled and I just want to get a new car or the payment for the value of the car. I’m never being a Turo host again.

Jane Buffalo Grove, IL

I had been a happy guest for Turo for several trips, until a recent trip changed my opinion. I had no issues on car damages and always kept the host’s cars clean after use. But we met a host who made a sudden location change and lack of communication issue. After communicating with Turo customer service back and forth through emails, I summarized their host biased policy: 1. If host listed a service that he/she could not provide and did not inform guests before the 2 days before the trip starts, and you checked in the trip, nothing will happen to the host. Turo will just kindly "remind" the host to correct her/his listings for the future. 2. If hosts cancel the trip, they get $25 (more than 24 hours) or $50 (within 24 hours) punishment. If guest cancels the trip within 25 hours before the trip starts, guests pay 0.5 day (<2 days trip) or 1 day’s trip price + half of any delivery fee. For cleaning, disinfecting, airline interruptions, death or hospitalization of family member, natural disaster et al caused issues, you need to call customer service immediately before checking in to get full refund. Toru policy did not say if they will fully refund you if you cancel the booking within 24 hours due to sudden location changes made by the host. 3. Hosts and guests will leave reviews blindly after the trip, but cannot change after reviews are published. Hosts have the privilege to response/comment on guest’s reviews, but you cannot comment back what host said about you as a guest.

I’llrentyacar North Richland Hills, TX

As a host I have a mixed review… these renters who say they get charged $150 for a cleaning fee and all they had was a little dog hair or smoke in the car and lie about it and get charged $250 know the rules. the renter is usually fully aware of the no pets and no smoking policy and usually are told of the policy again when they are checked into the car. We charge because the next person who rents the car might be allergic to dog hair or smoke and will leave a horrible review and so we usually have to have it professionally cleaned which is easily $150… also, we have to take pics before and after the rental to prove that the customers mess is worth the charge. Turo reps make the decision based on pictures so usually the renter really didn’t give a crap and did what they wanted. as far as customer service… it is horrible on both ends. Hosts and guests. You can’t understand the person you are talking to when and if you do get someone on the phone and usually their hands seem to be tied on any help you may need. The coverage for the host is a joke. It’s not insurance, but coverage…. If you get my drift. Their insurance description is so vague that if something happens to the car you are worried sick until it’s resolved.

Dave Elgin West Des Moines, IA

I did Turo once. I signed up for a car and got a discount because I did it far in advance of my trip. Somehow, either Turo's fault, my error or the car owner's error the pick up time was put down as 3AM instead of 3PM. The car owner caught the problem and said to go in and change the time - NO PROBLEM! So I changed the time - 12 HOURS LESS TIME - and Turo said that I changed the contract so they charged me $81 for 12 hours of less time. After some hassle, I finally got the right supervisor and he fixed the problem. Everything with the car went great - I would have given a 5 star rating if it wasn't for the $81 charge that had to be corrected.

Carmen Vargas Davenport, FL

TURO is a complete rip off: fraudulent charges, cero costumer service, extra high charges after the trip was over. There is a very good chance the final price won't be what you expect because of unethical tactics. We will never use Turo again and absolutely not recommend it to anyone.

Robert Clermont Ottawa, ON

45 minutes prior to the car pick up the host canceled. I tried booking a second vehicle and made an error and couldn’t change it through the app. I was charged $200 to cancel because I couldn’t return the car near on time. I will never use this service again. I’m glad Enterprise car rentals was much more reasonable.

Stanley Antolak Denver, CO

I love the idea of this but it ended up putting me in a huge fight with the company and the owner of the car. The owner of the car ran a little scam on us and tried to add extra charges after the trip was over. Turo stands by their car owners far more than their customers so they forced me to pay extra at the end. There is a very good chance the final price wont be what you expect because of unethical tactics and how Turo decides to turn a blind eye to it all. Best to just stay away.

Heideh Farahmand Anchorage, AK

Worst decision I’ve ever made was to use Turo! I wish I had never heard of them. My first and only time using Turo I rented an 8 year old car for a week in Alaska. Upon return I got a “smoking charge” of over $250, plus got banned from the app. I have never smoked in my life, and had no passengers in the car at all. According to Turo I cannot appeal this.

Konstantinos Demenagas Moires, 91

I used the app last month during my vacation in the US. Rented a car in Las Vegas. Returned it only to find out that the host of the car RAYMOND T. had accused us of smoking in the car, only in order to collect the 285 non smoking policy fee. We are both all life NON SMOKERS and is funny that we were accused of smoking. Two weeks later the host receives another review from another guest with the same problem. Apparently this is a scam and TURO will do nothing about it. I hope everyone reads this and be extra careful, because we got scammed and there is nothing we can do about it.

ANNACLAIREATHOME Isaak Houston, TX

DO NOT USE TURO outside of your own country! With reputable car rental companies normal wear and tear is assumed and overlooked. I got washer was the equivalent of a door ding and the host wants to charge me 588pounds for something that in America would be fixed for the price of a good detail job. The car was also handed over to me filthy. Now the host is harassing me and Turo is not being helpful. NEVER AGAIN!

KatCruise Portland, OR

** Registration and Insurance not in the Vehicle! Police Involved** I rented a Prius last January in Oregon. Three days before returning after three weeks, I was pulled over for expired tags. I opened glove box for proof of registration and insurance per request but the box was empty! Police denied accepting rental insurance purchased WITH rental or my personal. Proof of primary registration or insurance was found on the app. Police cited me SR 22 and no registration. I needed to bring primary registration and insurance to the court. I returned the car early. Host only apologized but never offered proof of ownership or insurance. The host had been great to work with until I was pulled over. I rented in good faith the vehicle was registered and current. *Turo website states multiple times all vehicles must follow state laws regarding licensing. ** I do not understand why the host was not obligated to show proof of current registration. I rented from another host the following week. I expressed my reluctance because of what happened, they showed me " Produce on demand " laminated document in glove box of Camry. Turo Support has not been a good since I was pulled over. I was told car was in my possession and Turo is not liable. Car in my possession never was the issue! This situation would be worse if I had been in an accident! I have waited FIVE months for any resolution. This should have been resolved within a month, max! I was in the middle of moving to Ohio and this has caused a lot of unnecessary stress, lack of sleep, and strain on finances staying in Oregon for legal reasons. I know many people have had positive experiences with Turo. After this experience and excessive time to resolve, I have no intention of renting from Turo again.

Cyrus Edmonton, AB

"""Windshield chipped and cracked""" Terrible management and greedy people operating this business. I have used Turo about 5 or 6 times, but the last time I got bit because something went wrong during the trip, My windshield got chipped and cracked by dirt on the road falling off other vehicles. When i told the host about it, he said no problem last time i changed it for $490. The vehicle I rented was a 2014 Mercedes benz ML, I did not choose any insurance options for the trip as I had my own personal insurance which would cover rentals, and my deductible is $500 for the claim, so i was like its better i just have the host change it for me so i dont have to go through the hassle, but then i was like maybe Turo cover it for me since it's really not my fault, or at least host's insurance would pay for it. So I asked the host to open a claim with Turo and it seemed like the host didn't know much either, so Turo said its the guests responsibility to pay for the damage and told the host to take the car to a shop they work with for a quote on replacement, So I was waiting to see if it will be cheaper at least, and if not I can just have the host change it for me, but surprisingly I received an invoice from turo for $1,400. So i called the host, he said they already changed it and that's the price. So turo paid for the host and just forwarded the bill to me. Now i have to pay $1,400 for a $490 job. and they even restricted my account so i cant book any other cars before i pay full amount. imagine being on a long business travel and you can't book any other cars while you're trying to figure out what happened, and good luck trying to reach customer service to get a proper answer. So after sending numerous emails to Turo to see how i can put this claim on my personal insurance no one replied back to my emails, then I called my own insurance to get some help and they told me to get a subrogation package from them, then after spending hours and hours i finally got a customer service and asked for it, and they said we will send it to your insurance and it will take about 90 days to resolve the issue, so then i asked how can i continue booking cars? she said only way is to pay the full balance and then once your insurance paid us back we will refund the money to you. so i did and then i still was not able to book the car, again spent 30 minutes to get through customer service and they said you need to verify your account and your identity, I was like I'm already your customer and had done many trips! why should i do this, and the agent replied just like a bot "sir I'm just following the rules" and they want government id with your address on it but don't even want your drivers license or bank statement nor your phone bills, imagine being away from home and you have to find a document other than those! super frustrating. so then i had to contact them again after i downloaded my hydro bill and went through all the wait times and sent the picture of the bill but the agent said i cant verify it, you would have to email us the pdf version of it and then wait for the specialized team to review it!!! hahaha wow guys what joke this Turo is. horrible management and greedy owners who want to take as much as they can, they charge the host 30% of the rental after i talked to my host and this is the kind of customer service they provide. The windshield chips should not be the responsibility of the guests, and Turo should cover it for the sake of both parties when they are making that much money with no effort from their side.

Nana Ama Akowuah San Francisco, CA

Terrible experience. Horrible customer service. 3 days after I picked up my rental, I found out I was being tracked with an airtag by the host without my consent. I was living alone in a new place and this scared me. This man had access to all of my information. Where I went, how much time I spent in each location etc. I let turo know and they promised to send a replacement vehicle. After 6 hours on the phone with them they changed their minds, and decided that airtags are now allowed without consent so my reason for replacement was not valid and refused to give me a full refund. Note that California law explicitly states this is illegal. Not only have they compromised my safety but showed no remorse for it. I am still as we speak fighting for a full refund. I would not recommend their service and know that if something goes wrong they will not have your back.

Sea 2 Sky Yoga Nidra Vancouver, BC

My Turo host was scheduled to pick me up at the airport as indicated in my trip booking. My host related he was unable to pick me up as it was illegal he then referred to me as rude when I directed him to my booking which clearly indicated an airport pick up. The host stated the car would be locked up in a garage over night so if I couldnt get an uber to the car before the garage closed I'd have to pick the car up the next day.Turo was difficult to get a hold of and the agent was unable to resolve the issue. The supervisor who was supposed to call and address the issue never did. I have used turo before and it's great if all goes well but if you encounter a problem there is no support.

Brown, E. McDonough, GA

The Host Nicholas is a fraud and liar who rented me a vehicle that had no bolts or fasteners securing the underbody cover to the vehicle. The underbody cover became dislodged while I was driving which could have caused severe injury to myself and others. Him and TURO are SCAMMERS who charged my charge card almost $900 for damage to the underbody cover after I disputed their false claim. I also paid $10.80 per day for the additional insurance recommended by TURO only to discover that there was a $3000 deductible attached to it; therefore, the cost of the vehicle's underbody cover was not covered. Another RIP OFF!! TURO works with the Host in getting all of the money out of you that they can and take the word of the lying Host. They disregard any and all supporting evidence, photos and documents that you submit to them towards their claim and favors the Host's claim and lies. Renters BEWARE!! Ask for proof of a clean, complete vehicle check up prior to renting. I will never rent a personal vehicle from TURO ever again; nor will I ever recommend them to anyone. Again, RENTERS BEWARE!!!!

Charles Williams Dallas, TX

I had rented a car for my marriage proposal in Austin, Texas. I live in Dallas. My partner has been talking a lot about wanting an electric car. I decided to rent a tesla for the weekend trip for us. 2 hours before the departure of the trip, the host canceled because he needed his car to move. There was an option to rebook but it was 2.5 hours later at the earliest which was going to make us 1.5 hours late for our engagement event. Needless to say, I ended up driving my car, and they gave me $50 credit plus my refund. I was on the phone for an hour plus with customer service. Which is not worth the trouble. This was my first and last opportunity using the app. Just be weary of this if you have no flexibility.

Carlotta Ohara Benito Juarez, ROO

BUYER BEWARE!!!! I rented a 2014 Nissan for two days in May. It appeared to be Reasonably priced, all good. Then I extended the rental thru Turo which was difficult as the App didn’t show my reservation amd the host was unable to do it so after many texts and calls and I was finally able to talk to a human who took care of it. So I had picked up the car at 10 am and was supposed to return it at 2 pm the following day. When I went to extend the rental by one day I was told the only way to do it was to put 7 pm as the return time, which I did. I returned the car at 4 pm. So when I returned my $42 a day rental it suddenly had jumped up to $63 a day after all the added charges. My ongoing correspondence with them was via texts and emails which constantly redirected me to the App which never worked, not only could I not extend on the app but I couldn’t see the details of the exorbitant additional charges and not only that but my trip never even showed up on the App. Hmmm???? So Customer Service, via email, only was my only recourse. They responded slowly, it has now taken three days. Initially the story was that they charged me $188 I instead of $125 because I returned the car late (4pm when I was told by them I had a 7 pm return time) . When I contested the additional charges as a late charge , which it wasn’t. I was finally sent a detailed invoice of the charges that conveniently came to $188. They had completely changed their tune as to why the charges came to that. No longer did they claim I returned it late. Really???? Bottom line I will never ever use Turo again. They are not up front about the actual charges. you do not have the guarantees of a legitimate car rental agency. NO I don’t recommend TURO. Plus you cannot talk to a human person. Not satisfied.

Saahil Lakhani Bucharest, B

I booked a car for 2 days from Dragana in Las Vegas from Turo. The pickup was great and very easy, the car was in great condition and very clean and the drop off was straightforward. My issue happened after the car was returned - I got a bill for over $250 for supposedly smoking in the car. The pictures of the “proof” that were sent were of some sand and dirt in the car - unavoidable from having walked around in some national parks on our trip and not excessive dirt at all. After contacting Turo to try and resolve the situation, explaining that I am a non-smoker and that they pictures were very clearly not ash from cigarettes but some dirt and sand, they removed my account and insisted the decision was final without letting me appeal properly. I will continue to fight this with Turo but I highly recommend you avoid using them if you want to avoid additional costs. I feel like I’ve been scammed and it’s made more disappointing by the fact that without this ridiculous charge, this could’ve been a 5-star review.

Shawn Sydney, NSW

Warning! Turo values hosts over customers and will not reverse erroneous invoices! I rented a Tesla through Turo for pickup at 6:30pm on the 4th of April in Miami. I had just flown in from Sydney on a 27 hour flight. The car was not available when I arrived and I had to wait 15 min. Upon picking up the car, it was charged to 80%. I drove straight to the hotel for some sleep. Over a month after my trip, I received an invoice for the use of a supercharger on the 4th. I explained to Turo that I did not charge the car on the 4th and requested they ask for the trip history from the host, as this would prove I did not visit a charger after picking up the car. They refused to ask for this documentation and instead trusted the host's word. Simple logic would tell you that being invoiced for charging a car that you didn't pick up until 6:45pm doesn't make sense. If I did charge it, then that means the car wasn't charged at pickup, and I shouldn't be responsible. Either way, it's not right. The bigger issue is how they immediately took the hosts word over the customer. They clearly have no desire to protect the customer and I am thankful I'm only out $12. What if the host had submitted an invoice for thousands of dollars? DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!

Natasha Lozada Hollywood, FL

I have used Turo plenty This time it was an awful experience at the very end- decided to take my payment and not give me my extension / and had to speak with 10 agents literally to finally be given the supervisor- this cost my time and money at my work- since I’m self- employed- also anxiety attacks continuously - the customer service agents are not well-informed- and they only Open a dispute and investigate after you yell and scream to tears- horrible experience! Turo even called host and said I was protected under their Turo code of law- that was a huge lie! Some told me they saw payments other said they did not- even the supervisor did not know what he was talking about- if a class lawsuit is started I want in!

Ed M Southampton, PA

After incurring a charge for violating their smoking policy, which DID NOT happen, I contacted customer service and they simply deleted my account permanently rather than respond to my claim. This site hides fees and scams you out of more money once your trip is over. I would not suggest anyone use this app!

Jennifer Stephan MI

8/6/2020 My husband and I were on our motorcycle and were hit by a man driving a TURO rental. We were injured quite badly. TURO did not get this driver, who we found out didn’t have a vehicle or insurance because of a prior accident. TURO only required him to obtain 75k In insurance, which barely covers cost of medical bills, none of lost wages, or treatment I’m still getting 2 years later! I will be suing you soon!

Wil Utsey Crofton, MD

Turo is trash. My first and last experience was terrible as I had an accident within hours of the rental, which left the car undrivable. Unlike traditional rental companies, the first problem is that you don't get a replacement car, so my family trip was canceled. Make sure you read their insurance options carefully. They are much different than traditional car rental companies. I think they are very sketchy. To make it clear, I'm speaking about the issues with the Turo App company and not the hosts that rent the cars. I will never use this service again.

Dorothea Denver, CO

I booked a rental and the address they sent me to was an open field with no buildings. So I call the host and she kept saying um um I did not see the reservation um um I am not sure where the van is. She finally said she was canceling. Which left me with no way to get to work. I was told I would be refunded and I was NOT refunded. Now I have a dispute pending with the bank. I am out the money for the rental and may be fired for not being able to get to work and no one will communicate from Turo. STAY AWAY they are very shaddy and will rip you off.

Lisa Shipley Atlanta, GA

I had a dispute with Host who wanted me to pay $166 to vacuum the driver side floor board ONLY. The car was spotless but evidently the host expected me to detail the car before returning. I disputed this with Turo who clearly did not have the long email string I had with another rep. I am a seasoned world traveler and clearly Turos clear customer is the HOST. NOT YOU. Thank GOD for chargeback rights with at least their fees going up from excessive disputes/ chargeback fees being imposed on the company.

Garth S Canton, GA

I am finding the price for one particular vehicle changes every time I open the app. It changes at least three times when starting the booking process. This is very misleading. I find the car I want to book, it shows 66 per day. I tap on it to book, it changes to 78 per day. Then it changes again to $78.50 per day. This practice is very misleading and confusing.

CRU Fort Collins, CO

Turo seemed like a good alternative to rental car companies until you actually book. My first Turo host would only allow pick up at their home. No alternative location or delivery option available. Then 10 days after booking the trip the host cancelled because they sold the car. So, I figure one bad host. The second host offered delivery options and was an All Start Host. So, I booked the trip and then suddenly they weren't around on those days. The issue here is really consistency and professional behavior. Turo Host are individuals. They do not have a common set of rules or practices. The web site is specifically designed to prevent Guests from performing any type of prep work. You have to book the trip prior to contacting the host. Turo processes your payment upon booking. Only airlines do this. Rental car companies do not. They do not disclose booking fees or insurance fees prior to booking. To see the total cost you have to commit to a booking. You cannot review Turo if your trip isn't completed. So, all the issues with actually booking a trip are not shown on site reviews. I thought Turo was a great idea until I actually used it. Now, not so much.

Gail BRAUN Bonita Springs, FL

I leased through Turo three times. Unfortunately one lease the car was keyed...most likely at a hotel. The Turo host/owner of vehicle was extremely unprofessional about the minor exterior damage, attempted to rip me off by settling with him first thus charging 4 times the actual repair. Once brought to Turo's attention, Turo did not care, Turo's representatives are as disingenuous and misleading at the vehicle owner. It is a poorly run company and the hosts are not bonified or screened because this particular host was also tracking my every move and texting me to keep the vehicle clean and not allow children in the vehicle. I would not recommend Turo.

John L. Union City, CA

You will not believe that when you have any dispute with them, they don't communicate with you but send your bill to collection company to impair your credit. If you rent from them and everything go smoothly, good for you. Otherwise, I can tell you from my experience that this company does not care about you. They will care about going IPO. They skirt so much regulation that you will have no consumer protection and you can hardly get them. Trust me, it is not worth saving just few bucks to rent from them. Their rental used to be alot cheaper but not anymore. Don't be a fool. If you rent from them, you are helping the executives and big investors to cash out their money only. THEY REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT CUSTOMERS.

Thomas North Port, FL

Turo cancelled my reservation, marked it that I cancelled it, all to allow a host to charge double to rent the car to someone else. We made a reservation months ahead of time to get a good car at a good rate. We paid for the rental and communicated with the host. Then all of a sudden, when car rental rates rise, the host discovers "errors" in our reservation. Turo marks the reservation as cancelled, by me, then sends me an email telling me if I pay another $400 I can have the same car for the same dates. Our reservation was paid for and made in good faith, Turo should have held the host to the terms of our deal. Instead they fraudulently marked the reservation as renter cancelled, to allow them and the host to make more money. Turo's attempt to help me find a replacement was a comedy of errors. The first host did not respond. The second host asked me to pay him directly a $350 damage waiver, Turo said this was fraud. The third host messaged me before he approved my rental that he wanted to call me to "walk me through the process". Turo also said this was fraud. My rental was to be $450, now, so much closer to my trip, rentals for the same dates and same pick up location are $1200. Beware of scammers and do not trust Turo or the host to honor your reservation, if they can figure out a way to make more money. Unfortunately with regular rental car companies charging astronomical rates, there is not much choice. Just be careful and make back up plans in case your reservation gets cancelled on you.

Tolga Bender Charlotte, NC

Worst company ever their costumer service sucks they have no communication skills I highly not recommend

rochelle demello San Jose, CA

I had a great experience on my trip. Chun K is a great host. He picked us up at the airport and drop off was just as worry free. I was kind of skeptical of using Turo for my first time but Not any more I will rent from Turo from now instead of the rental car agencies. The only problem I had was I wanted to cancel the insurance that I added for my trip and tried to get a hold of customer service before my trip began after finding out my insurance would cover me 100% there was no phone number to call customer service and every time I tried to send an email it kept say address unknown. That’s probably something I did wrong but now I know better. All in all it was pretty perfect vacation.

Adam T Newport Beach, CA

In an age where everyone wants to be able to control everything with their mobile device it was only a matter of time before personal car rentals became a thing. Renting exotic cars from mainstream agencies was a hassle and with so many liabilities and extra charges you never felt comfortable driving on the road. The whole experience with Turo was completely different. Looking for specific cars was a fun process and the filters were useful in narrowing down the list. We had a specific car in mind, including colour, so went searching straight for that. Everything was self explanatory and easy to follow. Having 2 different options for insurance type was nice too. Unfortunately, Turo depends on ‘non-employees’ to make sure your experience is seamless which I can imagine sometimes doesn’t happen but our experiences have been great and we’d certainly use the app and our lenders again!

Charles Hoffman Estates, IL

Went to Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ to spend some time at a Hip Hop Convention and some time relaxing with the family. I've always wanted to drive a Tesla and see how feasible it would be to have one of my own. After searching Tesla rentals, Turo was the first site to come up. I was a bit skeptical at first but started reading reviews from customers because I've never heard of Turo before. I thought I'd give it a try. Turo is the AirBnB for cars. I rented a Tesla Model S from a Tesla owner. He dropped the car off at the airport where we met. He showed me everything I needed to know to drive the vehicle and made sure I was comfortable and good to go before he left since I've never say in a Tesla before. I'm now shopping for one and plan on purchasing a Tesla within the next year.

Jen Davie Sanford, ME

We are a family of six who recently traveled to Salt Lake City, UT from Maine. When shopping for a rental car, we were unable to find a deal online, as we were sized out of the standard sedan option (due to the sixth passenger). I was chatting with my mom about our situation, and she remembered a friend using Turo in Salt Lake City previously. I contacted her friend to hear about her experience and decided to give Turo a try! I am so happy that we used Turo as our rental car option! We saved a ton of money and had a great ride while visiting Utah. The person we rented from was amazing and went above in beyond to ensure that our rental experience was fantastic! I will definitely use Turo again in the future when traveling!

Bill Wegesend Happy Valley, OR

Turo is an excellent option over traditional rental car agencies where you have a better selection to what you really want to drive. In my experience I was able to rent a 2019 Corvette with only a couple thousand miles on it and a 2017 Jaguar F-Type both in immaculate conditions while in Hawaii. At first I was very cautious about using this online service however now I'm sold on it based on my experience. Turo is there for you if you need them but their All Star Hosts are outstanding with reliable beautiful cars. Some with cars you'd never be able to rent at traditional rental car agencies i.e. Telsa, Porchse, Audi. Jaguar, etc. Turo online is quick and easy and highly reccomend it to all. Bill W. from Happy Valley, Oregon

Alex Vorderman Fort Wayne, IN

Started this whole process on Kayak at my home in Fort Wayne, around 10:30pm the night before I needed a vehicle in Denver the following day around noon. I waited til the last minute so all SUV's from the mainstream rental companies were pricey. I remembered I downloaded the Turo app a couple years ago for fun to see what kind of cars were available here in Fort Wayne. Checked out the app, found not only a Suburban, but a very cool RST version, for less than any of the rental companies large SUV's. Requested it at 11pm, and at 12:04am, Mike, the owner responded and confirmed. He sent his daughter to the airport, right outside baggage claim so I didn't need to get a shuttle to rental companies a couple miles away, and his daughter took an Uber home. At dropoff, we met in the same location. It truly was the most luxurious, seamless transaction with a rental vehicle I've ever had. If all Turo experiences are as good as this was for me, Turo is going to take over the rental industry. I've been describing it to others as "the AirBnB for rental cars." Maybe one day AirBnB will buy out Turo for big $$$$! ; )

Brandon Kopack Freehold, NJ

Great experience using turo twice both trips were in Los Angeles and both trips were smooth and easy. First trip we picked up the car at the turo lot right by the airport and dropped off in same location. Second trip we picked up the car from the car owners place also right by the airport and dropped off at the turo lot by LAX. Over all great experience using this app. Much better renting through Turo rather then a car rental at the airport because of how quick and easy the process is. Get the car keys, take pictures to document how the car looks when picking up, then drive away. Super easy and get to rent awesome cars. Thanks Turo!