Progressive Auto Insurance Logo

Progressive Auto Insurance

Is This Your Business?

9.2

Progressive Insurance is known for offering savings on car insurance. You can benefit from using its quote comparison and signature Name Your Price® tool to find good coverage that fits your budget. You can also benefit from the many discounts that Progressive offers its clients.

In addition to personal car insurance, Progressive offers many other kinds of specialized car insurance. These policies include rideshare, commercial, classic car, and auto insurance in Mexico.

You can also meet many of your other insurance needs when you choose Progressive because it offers dental, life, property insurance and more. We recommend working with Progressive especially if you have other insurance needs.

Read Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

The Good

• Positive Reviews
  • Excellent Coverage
  • Classic Car Coverage
  • Mexico Car Insurance
  • Variety of Discounts
  • Snapshot® Discount Program
  • Policy Features With Savings
  • Useful Rate and Comparison Tools
  • Helpful App
  • Convenient Customer Support
  • Additional Insurance Policies and Quotes

Positive Reviews

Progressive car insurance reviews on BestCompany.com reveal high levels of customer satisfaction.

Positive reviews mention good customer service and satisfaction with rates and savings.

If you're looking for a good car insurance rate, Progressive is worth exploring further.

Excellent Coverage

You can include the following when you buy from Progressive:

• Liability coverage
  • Comprehensive coverage
  • Collision coverage
  • Uninsured or Underinsured motorist coverage
  • Medical payments
  • Roadside assistance
  • Loan or lease payoff
  • Rental car reimbursement
  • Custom parts and equipment value
  • Rideshare coverage
  • Deductible savings bank (lower your deductible by $50 for each policy period without an accident or violation)

This variety of offerings means that you can find a policy with the coverage and perks you want. Keep in mind that some offerings from this auto insurance company can vary by state.

Classic Car Coverage

Progressive Classic Car by Hagerty is designed for cars 25-50 years old that are stored in an enclosed structure and are not used frequently. It offers Guaranteed Value® coverage for your classic car's real value. It also includes original replacement parts coverage. This policy is a great option for insuring your classic.

Car Insurance Coverage in Mexico

If you're planning a road trip to Mexico, you can choose from three coverage options for your trip. All of the options include roadside assistance in Mexico.

• Basic coverage includes level liability, travel assistance, medical payments, and legal assistance. It's ideal for cars over 20 years old.
  • Standard coverage includes everything that Basic coverage does. It also includes collision and theft coverage.
  • Extended coverage builds on both the Basic and Standard options by adding vandalism partial theft and U.S. repair coverage. You'll also benefit from fixed deductibles.

You can also purchase insurance for your RV or motorcycle. Having any of these coverage options will give you peace of mind while you drive in Mexico.

Variety of Discounts

You can find a variety discounts on Progressive car insurance. With such a high number or discounts and more flexibility with these discounts, it's easy to save money on your car insurance policy. Many of these discounts are also competitive for the auto insurance industry.

Progressive offers the following discounts:

• Snapshot® program participation
  • Multi-policy
  • Multi-car
  • Continuous insurance (based on how long you've been consistently insured even through other insurers)
  • Teen driver
  • Good student
  • Distant student (full time students age 22 or younger away at school without a car)
  • Homeowner (just for owning a home)
  • Online quote
  • Online document signature
  • Going paperless
  • Full 6-month payment
  • Automated payments

You can also save by bundling policies. Three consecutive years without accidents or tickets also results in lower premiums.

Snapshot® Program Discount

Many car insurers offer programs that customize your auto insurance rate based on your driving habits. Progressive stays current with industry trends by offering its Snapshot® Program. Through this program, you can get a personalized rate based on your driving. This rate won't be offered until your first policy period ends, which is typically six months.

You can use the Snapshot® app or the Snapshot® plugin to track your driving and get tips to improve your score. It only counts when you're driving the car, so you can deselect trips where you didn't drive.

The app notes when you use your phone, hard brakes, and fast acceleration. The plug-in is attached to your car and beeps when you brake hard. In general, you can improve your score by avoiding hard brakes, using slower acceleration, not using your phone, driving less frequently, and not driving at night.

While you'll need to wait six months before your discount kicks in, you do receive a discount just for participating in the program.

Policy Features With Savings

Progressive offers Small Accident Forgiveness that starts with your first policy. Your rate stays the same if the claim is less than $500. This accident forgiveness is a nice feature that protects your long-term budget.

Progressive clients who have been with the company for at least five years and have had no accidents in the last three years benefit from Large Accident Forgiveness. You won't have to worry about a rate increase if you're in a large accident and you meet Progressive's criteria.

You can add a Deductible Savings Bank feature for an increased premium. This feature knocks $50 off of your comprehensive or collision coverage deductible for each policy period without an accident or violation. These savings can come in handy when you do have an accident and need to pay your deductible.

Useful Rate and Comparison Tools

Progressive's platform allows you to compare rates and policies from other insurers, which will help you find the best policy at the best price.

Progressive's signature Name Your Price® Tool makes the car insurance company stand out from others. With this tool, it's easy to see car insurance policies that fit your target budget. This makes it easy to sort results and find policies that fit your budget.

Keep in mind that the coverage offered may not be as robust as more expensive insurance policies.

Helpful App

The Progressive App makes managing your insurance policy simple and convenient. You can view your policy information, billing and payments, ID cards and documents, and browse other insurance products from the app.

You can also use the app to request roadside assistance, file a claim, and upload photos for repair estimates. The Progressive App is full-service and makes it easy for your to manage your car insurance policy.

Convenient Customer Support

By choosing Progressive, you'll also benefit from convenient customer support. Progressive offers 24/7 customer support.

You can get insurance quotes and buy policies online. Once you have a policy, you can also manage your car insurance and file claims online. If you prefer, you can also call for a quote and call to make a claim.

You'll also benefit from Progressive's network of repair shops. These shops can do inspections or repairs. Progressive offers a limited lifetime guarantee for these repairs, which gives you additional peace of mind and confidence in the repairs your car gets.

Additional Insurance Policies and Quotes

Progressive offers many kinds of insurance. If you need a specific kind of car insurance, you can probably find it at Progressive. Progressive offers the following:

• Commercial auto
  • RV
  • ATV/UTV
  • Golf cart

If you're looking for a different kind of insurance product, you'll most likely be able to find it through Progressive. You can purchase the following from Progressive:

• Motorcycle insurance
  • Vision insurance
  • Pet insurance
  • General liability insurance
  • Professional liability insurance

You can even look for personal loans using Progressive. With its impressive selection of insurance types, Progressive is a great choice if you're looking for a one-stop shop for all your insurance needs.

The Bad

• Coverage Levels May Not Be Enough with the Name Your Price® Tool
  • Personal Information Required for Quote

Coverage Levels May Not Be Enough with the Name Your Price® Tool

Since the Name Your Price® Tool shows policies based on what you want to pay, these policies may have less robust coverage than more expensive ones. As you use this tool, pay close attention to the coverage offered by the policy and note the deductible.

You should also understand what kinds of coverage you can include in your policy and decide which ones you need. Knowing how car insurance works and looking at the deductibles will help you use the Name Your Price® Tool wisely.

Personal Information Required for Quote

To get a car insurance quote, you'll need to provide details on your car, your address, and driver's license. While this information is much more specific than what other services or insurance policies require for a quote, an auto insurance provider will need personal information to determine your quote.

The Bottom Line

While you should use the Name Your Price® Tool wisely, Progressive is an excellent way to find savings on car insurance. Its helpful features allow you to compare auto insurance rates and policies. You can also narrow your options down to policies in your price range with the Name Your Price® Tool. You'll also benefit from savings with Progressive 's many discounts.

Progressive offers many kinds of car insurance, so you'll be able to find even a specialized policy through the company. With each type of car insurance, Progressive offers good coverage options.

Whatever kind of car insurance you need, you're likely to find a good coverage option at Progressive.

4.1

E Jester Baltimore, MD

I loved Progressive when I was a customer. The price was right for me at the time. However, conducting a claim can take a while to complete. I incurred an accident with one of my vehicles that were parked and hit by a motorist. The vehicle was totalled. It took a minute to get the residuals from the proceeds of the car to purchase a new vehicle. This was before COVID 19 when delays would have been popping. Overall, Progressive is decent insurance and I would return if the price was right on the homeowner's policy.

Bob Means McKeesport, PA

I used progressive insurance for a few years. For a long time they provided the best rates for me and I did not have good credit. Any time I had to call to get paperwork or adjust limits or anything on my policy they were great. The only reason I left was I found a better local company.

Roberta Profitt Marcus Hook, PA

I've been a customer for about 13 years. We had 6 cars on our policy when we started. We are down to 4. We have had a few accidents which totaled 3 cars, one not being at fault. Progressive took care of me, assured me things will be ok and they always ended up being ok. They are great.

Penny Jackson, TN

Progressive is a very reliable auto insurance company. They care about their customers and that's what I like about them. We left progressive for about 2 years but came right back because it just wasn't the same with the other insurance company. We were getting the run around which we never experienced with progressive. Also I premium gets reduced occasionally for being safe drivers.

Orienna Fitzpatrick Killeen, TX

Great service and excellent value. We were with one insurance company for years and when we finally shopped around I was very pleased with the coverage and price that Progressive was able to offer us.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

My rates with Progressive have been great and even when I got in an accident a couple of years back, the customer service team was very compassionate and helpful while submitting my claim. They walked me through everything step-by-step and followed up to make sure that I understood the process. Their app needs a bit of work, as there are a lot of things that have to be accessed externally, but aside from that, I have had a very positive experience with them.

Nina Harris-Whitten Attalla, AL

I was on my way to Jacksonville Fl. and going through Atlanta during the 5pm rush and a tire from a big truck blown out and I could not go right or left because the traffic was so packed and had to run over the tire that bent my oil pan. They paid for this and deemed it not my fault and for a 66 yr old woman, with a 2020 Kia Spotage my payments are just 84.00 a month...cant beat that with a stick.

Bruce99981 Houston, TX

Was with progressive for years. Another progressive customer hit my daughters car in our driveway and turned around and blamed it on my daughter. Progressive sided with the liar and couldn’t even provide us with a common sense explanation behind their decision. I had three cars and my house insured with them. Pulled all of my accounts with them and even saved money in the process for better coverage. Progressive = junk insurance.

rosemary Ali Sicklerville, NJ

Progressive is ok, but they really could do more for their customers. They are one of those insurance companies that are happy to take your money & are unhelpful when you need them. I was with progressive for many years until I my friends and family members had issues with payouts in accidents. I was warned, but I didn't listen until I was in a accident. I faced uncertainty with my claim for months. The outcome wasn't good, but it taught me to do my research & go with a better company.

Lan Gon San Antonio, TX

I've been with this company for almost 3 years prices have been going up everything's running smoothly again I haven't had a wreck or any tickets so haven't had to deal with them much but whenever I talk to him about changing or upping different things

Brandon Griess Houston, TX

Didnt cover my electrical issue with car and nearly made me homeless vet and frontline worker in pandemic, warrantee had just expired from mileage, had car less than a year, cant prove another incidents time frame from start of service and more recently monthly payment was late by a few days and in that time they dropped coverage and threatened me in an email about no further service being afforded because of it. So they dont cover my claims, they expect money right away no late payment exceptions, and provide provide me with no customer care, no sense of being covered, and really just dont care about you, will be switching ASAP. They are cheapest insurance, and there is a reason, cheapest insurance draws in the people, and they do a good job keeping to providing bare minimum to stay at the top. You’ll get your moneys worth, and youll get coverage, but make one bad move (in pandemic especially) and you’ll feel the same way I do, abandoned and left to manage some other way without the coverage of the insurance you pay to be at peace of mind.

Tee Kirky Norwalk, CA

I have been with Progressive for over 5 years, most insurance company's will try to avoid a payout but when my van was stolen and found totaled. Progressive came through and I didn't have to jump through hoops. Great company

Heavensenthorse Clermont, FL

I have had progressive for 2 years now. Thankfully I haven't had to use them for anything but a towing reimbursement. But the local agent's customer service is super. I guess the review would be more for Bates Insurance Group, but since we have Progressive for all our car needs, I will give them a 5 star due to the customer service of BIG!

Marissa Mitchell Hobbs, NM

Progressive has been an amazing car insurance company for the past 12 years! They have handled any and all claims as random as they have been, with ease and promptness! They give ideas of how to better utilize their services as well as being frank about their rates all by being professional. I wouldn’t use anyone else!

Mike Cape Coral, FL

So far, there has not been another auto insurance company that has been able to even meet the rates that I get from Progressive for the last 6 years, and I shop for auto insurance every 6 months. The few times I have had to file claims they have always been prompt.

badal jain San Jose, CA

They are good as well but I think I wll rate geico above progressive just because of the premium. Geico mostly beats the price that progressive offers and I swtiched to Geico only because of that.

Cindy Al-Qawasmi Carlisle, PA

Overall not a bad company. You can access everything you need right online at their site. You can always speak to a person when you call. However, sometimes they pay a claim without even consulting you and getting your side of the story.

Morgan Idaho Falls, ID

This was my first car insurance company and they gave us good rates but when someone hit the side of our car and damaged my mirror they didn’t help since 3 days prior we had gone to more limited coverage. It was frustrating because we had been paying higher premiums till that point and we wish they could’ve tried to work with us more.

steven campbell Cypress, TX

Progressive handled our claim with ease, process was streamlined and efficient. Our whole claim process only took a week and checks were overnighted. Great service and great monthly rates!

t blair Phoenix, AZ

Great customer service! Excellent value and no hidden 'exceptions' - straight-up coverage. I have only had glass repairs but every time I've called them the reps are professional, efficient and very friendly!

SA Plano, TX

Coverage and customer service were good. I signed up for the good driver discount and had to use a device that monitors speed, braking, etc. I found there was no way to get a score that allowed the lower rate to continue. It doesn’t take into account the times I had to break faster than was acceptable for the score not to reflect negatively. For example when another vehicle cuts in front for which I had no control and it required me to brake quickly. After the period of the discount if the score is not good enough then the rate jumps.

Joshua Squire Ogden, UT

I have been with Progressive Auto Insurance for about 8 months now. The website was very user friendly, I got a quote quickly and was able to have coverage established the same day.

Matthew Craven Martinsville, VA

I got Progressive after Geico would not give me a better rate after 22 years of service. Progressive was pretty economical for the first six months, that's when the trouble started. I paid the first policy period with a 6-month payment, so I followed by paying the renewal the same way. The rate went up a little over $100 due to some 'one-time' online purchase discount being removed. I still renewed. When I renewed this policy, I was in the process of buying a house in VA, I moved from NC, so the rate went up a little because of the move. I told them the address I was moving to and where the cars would be garaged. Well, a little over a month later, I got a notice from NC about one of my vehicles. I called Progressive, and when the agent found out I was living in VA, even though my billing address clearly showed I was, she said I needed to change my policy to a VA one. I told her I already changed the address information when I renewed. She said the previous agent only changed the billing address and kept my garaging location as my former NC address. She said I needed to speak to a VA insurance agent. I was transferred to such. I was advised I would need to cancel my current policy and take out a new one. Since I wanted my policy paid by the 6-month option, I was told my total I needed to pay was over $500 more than what I had already paid. I would be refunded the total I paid instead of it being applied to the change. So, I would have ended up paying well over $1400 when I paid just over $900 for my previous renewal. Needless to say, I checked around and Geico actually offered me a much better rate to go back with them. So after 8 months away, I guess I'm comfortable being back with Geico. Progressive played a good game to start with but they completely lost my faith when they bungled a simple address change and then sought to squeeze as much out of me as they could get knowing I was between a rock and a hard place. Flo is a no-go.

Pazzo Miami Plant City, FL

I was with them a while back. It is a good company with good customer service but it was very expensive. When I switched to another company my policy went down like 40%.

Diante Jordan Milwaukee, WI

Claims adjusters work very hard to make your accident experience a little more easier, and Progressive really puts their customers first.

Marko Vrtikapa Arvada, CO

I have not had any issues nor have I filed a claim with them. However, I have a close friend who brokers insurance she HIGHLY reccomends Progressive. Fair rate for what I get.

Diana Payant Yuma, AZ

Was involved with a claim when I co signed for my sons pickup. It was stolen and they didn’t get things taken care of. I got insurance with them and was back and forth from Oregon to Arizona and they informed me I would be cancelled. So went elsewhere

Scott P Kansas City, MO

Progressive has been great at keeping my insurance rates low and affordable. When I did file a claim they were quick to help resolve the situation. Very Pleased

Samantha Marie Bismarck, ND

I have not had the service for long, but the process to sign up was easy and so straightforward. The app makes it really simple and easy to review my plan.

Lisa C Johnson Windsor Mill, MD

I have been with progressive a long time. I was looking for an affordable car insurance and a friend suggested that I try Progressive. That was 11 years ago. Even though my driving record is pretty good, I have been hit by other drivers. I immediately called Progressive and the other drivers insurance to handle it. Progressive always has the most attentive customer service. I have never had any problems with them. I highly approve Progressive.

Kelly Knight , IL

I've had progressive for a long time and very satisfied. Not the cheapest but have excellent customer service. They are "Johnny on the spot" when you need a tow or had an accident. Couldn't ask for more. They even pursued 2 different drivers that hit me . unfortunately they were like gypsies& moved alot apparently. Agents got alot of info on the drivers for me and kept me informed in everything I ever had a claim for. #1 in my book

JB A Moncks Corner, SC

Made the switch to Progressive Auto Insurance from State Farm. Extremely pleased with value and customer service.

Ahmed Brooklyn, NY

Cons: pricing isn’t bad but not the best in ny Pros: great tiers and loyalty program for drivers who’s been driving for years with them. Accident forgiveness

Madeline Baker Akron, OH

They had my back after a hit skip on my car! However they did use aftermarket parts on a brand new car which was disappointing

Jocelyn Hamby Orem, UT

They are generally a good company. They’re expensive though and it doesn’t seem like the rewards for staying are worth it when their rates are always rising for no reason.

Miriam Timmer-Hackert Iowa City, IA

We have progressive car and home insurance. They are super nice when we have called to ask if we needed a rider for solar panels (and we did not need an extra rider.)

Deborah Bastien Guyton, GA

I have been dealing with Progressive insurance for many years. They always have the lowest quote and good coverage. Easy to accesss your information with the app, and you can make changes to your policy on the app as well.

Mel L Canton, OH

When my son got in his accident Progressive basically did nothing. I don't even know what kind of deal they did with the driver of other car. They did not help to make ANY phone calls at all like my moms insurance did with her accident. I basically had to make most of them. What did I pay them for? I had know idea what I was doing and they have me no instructions either. So I did not get my money back from the GAP insurance like I should have and was told I was getting. "The check is coming" but I never received it and then it became too late. No one at Progressive would return my emails or phone calls. Waste of insurance premiums.

Julie Baier

Progressive saves me money on my auto insurance. Wayyyy cheaper and better coverage than I had before. I love the app that keeps everything neat and easily accessible

Sara Walton Kansas City, MO

Not what i thought it was going to be (Flo) makes it sound better lol. Good service nice prices but it doesnt remain consistent on the bill $$ could have just been mine but i had trouble i used then about a year

Andrea Floyd Tacoma, WA

The customer service is horrible. The inconsistency in information is beyond unprofessional. I don't feel they fight to get the best rate or even care if customers or happy. During Covid I had awful experience with them that will haunt me forever. I'm leaving as soon as I get a new car. I figure If I have to shell out my money every month I deserve to be with a company that at least pretends to care. Progressive do better.

Yvette F New Orleans, LA

Progressive was a joke. Was in an accident and my insurance company took sides with the individual who ran the traffic light and hit me. The individual received several tickets from the cops and was deemed at fault by the police officer. Asked to speak to the supervisor of the agent who was handling my case. She never responded. Had to get an attorney to get help with this insurance company and i was there customer and not the individual who was at fault. Flo, you are a lier.

S.Rexrode Houston, TX

As a Lyft driver and a diamond costermer was hit from behind in a parking lot. There was no investigation I was disavowed by progressive and refused service. 1 year prior my wife was hit in the drivers side back door of a four door f150 on a four lain road speed limit 35 the impact moved the B post 15 inches and flung a 5800lbp truck over 100 feet in a side skid. The jaws of life had to be used to get my wife out of the truck. Because the speeding truck tires that hit her climbed half way up the door. My wife was hospitalized for 2 day with a collapsed lung and two broken ribs. My wife was found at fault.

Joshua Mahoney New York, NY

We have insurance through Progressive on both our vehicles and our home. We are satisfied with the rates we pay; fortunately, we have never had to make an insurance claim with them in the 5+ years we've held policies with them, so I can't review that element of their service.

Candace Powers Port Richey, FL

Progressive is a fine company with very reasonable rates. They gave me an auto tracker to check my driving. I never realized before about my abruptness when breaking. I am glad that I had that little unit to help me drive better and lower my rates.

Dawn Stoliker Madawaska, ME

Good company, good prices, but they messed up when signing us up. I signed us up, used my email, and pay all the bills. Husband was clueless, as I take care of bills. Progressive automatically put policy under his name, so I was unable to make any changes without his permission. I was very insulted, and it was very inconvenient. They could not fix it. They would have to cancel entire policy and give me a new policy, but by doing so, it flagged us as changing insurance in a short period of time, and the price would have been a couple hundred dollars more.

Duffy Cypress, TX

This is the second year with this company. We signed up again because we are totally happy with it. Their response time is impressive. The solutions they apply work and are cost effective. Of, course, Progressive Auto Insurance is competitive or we would not be a customer. Regards, Jerald Vascoe

Diane McGill Fultondale, AL

My rate went up hundreds of dollars. The roadside insurance we paid left two of us stranded for two days~~two separate roadside horrors. Roadside will leave you on your own.

Steve Pitman Largo, FL

Progressive needs to spend less money on their pathetic ads and more money on legitimate claims.Progressive refused to cancel my policy after i sold my vehicle,then they notified dhsmv that i allowed my policy to lapse.

Jackie Hanko Tampa, FL

When I move to Florida I switched my insurance to progressive since travelers was not available in Florida and I was originally happy with the rate that I had for six months… Unfortunately after six months my rate was increased $250 which prompted me to look for other insurance which is why I switch to Geico… Prior to that however I will say that their customer service was amazing and the person that I had spoke on the phone with one originally getting my “explained everything to me in detail as to what all the coverage is meant since some in Florida or not provided or required up north so she took the time to explain everything to me and I am greatly appreciated for that… I can honestly say that I would’ve stayed with progressive had the rates stayed lower but like everybody we all want to save money