Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive Auto Insurance Logo

7.5

Progressive Auto Insurance

Coverage in 49 states

Progressive Insurance was founded in 1937 by Joseph Lewis and Jack Green in order to provide vehicle insurance in innovative ways. They were the first company to offer drive-in claim service and the first company that allowed customers to pay their premiums in installments rather than large lump sums. Throughout the 1960s, the company continued to grow and expand and by 1987, they finally reached $1 billion in premiums.

The Good

• Coverage features
  • Price range
  • Service coverage
  • Discounts
  • File/track claims

Coverage Features

Progressive offers the following options for policyholders. It is important to note that each state has different coverage limits and that each feature may not be included in every policy.

• Liability Coverage for at-fault repairs and medical care to those whom the policyholder has caused to another individual(s) and their vehicle.
  • Medical Payments for any post-accident related medical care which protects the policyholder, as well as any passengers injured in an accident. This type also covers medical care should the policyholder be a pedestrian injured.
  • Un/Underinsured Bodily Injury covers medical expenses and lost wages due to an accident caused by another driver.
  • Collision Coverage will protect the policyholder's vehicle should they be hit by another driver. After the deductible is met, they will pay out for any other expenses for auto repair.
  • Comprehensive Coverage protects the policyholder in the event of a natural disaster, vandalism or theft.
  • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage protects the policy holder's vehicle should damages occur by an uninsured driver.
  • Loan/Lease Payoff (Or GAP) protects the vehicle should it ever be declared a total-loss. Up to 25% of the actual cash value will be paid toward the amount owed to the lender.
  • Pet Injury protection will help pay for the Veterinarian bill if a family pet, such as a dog or cat, is hurt during an accident. This coverage is included with collision coverage.
  • Rental Reimbursement will pay for a rental car for up to 30 days when the protected vehicle is in the shop.
  • Custom Parts & Equipment Value is for those who have added valuable accessories to their vehicles such as stereos, GPS systems, custom parts and custom paint.
  • Emergency road service covers the cost of basic roadside assistance, such as emergency towing, etc.

Price Range

Progressive polices range from $65 to $202. As with most companies, the more coverage you wish to obtain, the higher the premium will rise. For example, adding Roadside Coverage or Uninsured Motorist Property Damage will increase rates. Again, prices vary with each state, driver and vehicle type.

Service Coverage

Progressive provides coverage in 49 states, with Hawaii being the exception. They also have a great social media presence and are pretty savvy when it comes to communicating to their customers and potential customers through various social media platforms. They seem to have more of an online presence than most large insurance companies.

Discounts

Progressive offers a comprehensive range of driver discounts:

• Start your quote online
  • Pay in full
  • Automatic bill pay
  • Good student
  • Minor child driver

One interesting option is Progressive's Snapshot program. Though optional, it allows drivers to connect a small device into their vehicle's OBD-II port. This device monitors driving activity and periodically offers discounts based on actual driving habits. Though this might seem a bit too intrusive to some people, it is a good way for safe drivers to prove their track records and get all of the discounts they deserve. This program is optional and free to join, and any discounts that customers earn are applied automatically.

File/Track Claims

Drivers can file and track claims either directly with an agent, over the phone or online, with the claim center operating around the clock.

Progressive offers a free mobile app that allows customers to access many online features, including filing and checking on claims, getting an insurance quote and accessing insurance cards. This adds an extra level of convenience.

The Bad

• Possible fees
  • Customer service
  • Legal issues

Possible Fees

It must be noted that one of Progressive's early innovations was providing insurance to high-risk drivers. Today, drivers who have had a few accidents or who are otherwise considered high-risk will find Progressive rates super cheap compared to the competition. However, these cheaper rates are not so noticeable for good drivers. Also, some customers have complained that Progressive makes up for the initially low rates by "nickel and diming" customers with fees.

The poor quality of customer service at Progressive is a common complaint. Many have said it's hard to get hold of an actual person or to get a response in a reasonable amount of time. Others have found it difficult to get problems resolved.

Legal Issues

The company received some bad publicity over an incident in 2012 when Progressive fought to avoid paying a claim for a customer killed by a hit-and-run driver who sped through a red light. Even though the customer had underinsured motorist coverage, Progressive went so far as to provide legal assistance to the defense in order to attempt to avoid paying. Though this is just one incident, coupled with a vast number of complaints about "nickel and diming" and bad customer service, it bears noting.

The Bottom Line

Progressive offers low insurance quotes, notably lower than many of their competitors. Whether or not these rates hold up is hard to judge, with some complaining about hidden fees. However, there are a good number of discounts, coupled with the Snapshot program, so customers should be able to save a good deal of money.

This company has been an innovator throughout its many years in business, inventing industry-wide standards like paying premiums in installments. Also, it's a great company for high-risk drivers. Though there are complaints about customer service, the mobile phone app leaves something to be desired, and they lack gap coverage, overall Progressive offers a wide array of services at affordable rates.

Haidyn Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

The advertising for progressive was amazing so I gave it a shot. I don’t feel like I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this to people though.

Becky Rasmussen
August 20th, 2018 American Fork, UT

We typically shop auto rates every six months to ensure we're getting the best rate for our coverage needs. We insured our automotives with Progressive for a short period of time and the service and billing was fine, but they didn't maintain the most competitive rate, so we moved on. There was no hassle, or issues. I know their a good company, but I didn't have the kind of outstanding experience to keep me loyal long-term when there were more competitive options for our driving profiles.

Liliuokalani Taliulu
August 20th, 2018 Mililani Town, HI

Progressive Auto Insurance has a great user friendly online presence. Signing up was simple. Their product offers a variety of insurance coverage which made it convenient in choosing the right plan for my needs. When it came time to cancel insurance (sold vehicle) their customer service made it quick and easy. Highly recommended for no nonsense, straight forward and easy to understand auto insurance options!

Lo Tuifua
August 20th, 2018 Sacramento, CA

Online convenience factor is great. They were also easy to work with by phone.

Hannah Cummins
August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Progressive was the most affordable auto insurance I could find, they also offered a discount for using the tracker in my car which was definitely worth it. It was also easy to cancel when I couldnt afford the payment and the cutsomer service was great and respectful.

Anne Kimball
July 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I had progressive as a young adult and really loved it because they gave my opportunities to lower my monthly rate. They gave me this little device to plug into my car to prove that I didn't drive a lot of miles or in a lot of traffic and would lower my rate if I had good driving habits! It was great for a poor college student!

Janna
July 23rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I was hit by a progressive customer and my car was totaled. Progressive offered to send me a check for about $3,000 under what my existing loan amount was on my car. They were unhelpful and very unprofessional in the way they did business. The agent who was helping me was nice enough but the company policies on totaled vehicle valuation seemed very shady to me. I decided to make a claim on my own insurance because Progressive’s offer wouldn’t have even covered my totaled car much less help me purchase a new one.

Jenny whipple
July 17th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I am currently a Progressive customer and have been for more than 10 years. I always receive prompt service with any problem I encounter. They have made the claims process easy and were helpful with the rental process while my car was being repaired.

Rob Whipple
July 16th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Their website is very clear and easy to use. When I'm in a hurry I can chat through their website and get things resolved quickly. If I need to call they are quick and responsive. I have been involved in a couple of accidents and they have been easy to work with.

Chris Alonzo
July 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I was able to get my car insured at a price that was very affordable. The customer service reps were very helpful and answered all my questions. She also guaranteed my quote was one of the lowest available in my area. I loved The fact that I didnt feel like just another sale I felt important.

Tyler Williams
July 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have been pleased with Progressive so far, but I just started to notice that my rates are not as low as I would have expected, compared to other companies that I have researched in recent weeks. Coverage is good, but price is my concern.

Kristy Williams
July 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We currently have Progressive Insurance for our Auto Insurance. We haven’t had any claims but their rates have been the best our agent could find.

Eric Daniels
July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have RV Insurance with Progressive and love it! They made the process painless and asked the right questions to get us exactly what we needed. The phone reps have always been helpful and any changes have been seemless. Grateful we can hit the highway without worry.

Mary g Lobue
July 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Not a fan. Had Progressive for only 6 months and when our next 6 months was about to start, the cost of our premiums doubled. Called customer service and it seemed the person on the other line had no interest in helping. Cancelled my policy and went to a different company where I continue to used.

Monai West
July 5th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

They were able to get me a policy within an hour. They had all the coverage I wanted and needed. They also had everything submitted to me via email which made things go a very fast. I was also able to pay through the app or online or over the phone. That was great.

James Winnie
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I've had Progressive for over 10 years. Had great customer service and great results from everything we do. Have experienced everything with them including a major accident, traffic violations, change vehicles, add drivers, etc. For great service that doesn't break the bank, this is a great company.

Lisa steinepreis
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

LOVE Progressive. Have been with them for years. They have the best customer service and amazing rates.

Cassandra Larsen
July 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

My husband had to file a claim against progressive for a person hitting him and they had progressive. They argued for two months that they were not responsible even though they had previously said they were. Finally two months later we are getting our money for the damage but it’s $700 less than it should be. Glad to be done.

Joanna Hester
June 20th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

When my husband was doing an internship at Progressive, we were so impressed by the company that we decided to switch to their auto insurance. We never had to file a claim, but I did contact customer service two times to inquire about our rates, and each time the customer service member was polite and answered all our questions.

June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had Progressive Auto Insurance in the past and I was happy with everything about it. They were reasonably priced, very responsive when I had an accident and had to submit a claim.

Nana Asiata
June 4th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Friendly customer service and easy to work with. Always looking out for my best interests.

Walter J Zollins Jr
May 21st, 2018 Lecanto, FL DETAILS

Because, they have no rewards plan for us good drivers

Betty
May 1st, 2018 Memphis, TN DETAILS

Rock chip repaired! It was free (for me after I paid the premium) and it was easy and painless!

Justin Ashby
April 25th, 2018 Portland, OR DETAILS

Progressive was the lowest rate we could find for car insurance, so I was happy to join. We tried there car monitor thing to lower our rates, it's been far more annoying than worth it. And now we have to keep it for a while.

Maryayb
April 16th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

I never have had to file a claim so I cannot speak to that but progressive has great rates and easy to pay online

Carolee AhPing
April 16th, 2018 Heber, UT DETAILS

I've had different insurance companies throughout the year and I'm very impressed with Progressive. I've had several accidents and each time their customer service has been amazing. They are very helpful and their pricing is very fair. I will stay with Progressive because they are so good to me.

Abby Rees
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have been using Progressive for the last year and I have not had any problems. Their customer service is good and are very helpful when I come across a problem or question.

Sandy
April 16th, 2018 Seaside, OR

My son uses this insurance company. He says it's all right. Not that impressed.

Ryan
April 9th, 2018 Perryville, MO DETAILS

I Love Progressive Auto Insurance. It was easy to insure my car online and print the insurance card for proof of insurance. Progressive was the lowest priced policy in my area and I am glad to have such ease of application and conformation.

Sherman Jackson
March 16th, 2018 Akron, OH DETAILS

Great Coverage with Affordable Costs to Myself for 20 yrs ??

Heather Sigler
March 16th, 2018 Hazel Park, MI DETAILS

Best price, only one off two companies that were recommended

Christopher Roberts
February 21st, 2018 Kingman, AZ DETAILS

They do their job for a decent price. Solid value

Leslie
February 21st, 2018 Girard, TX DETAILS

Always been there for me and beats the price of all others.

Kenneth Holley
February 12th, 2018 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS

my premiums are at such a high rate I cannot afford them

cheryl kumiski
February 12th, 2018 Tampa, FL DETAILS

Had an accident and my insurance doubled. Paid for years with no accident, then they double the cost when I needed them? What a racket!

Nadezhda Mezentseva
February 5th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS

the best price, high quality insurance, great customer service

Gertrude Whelan
February 5th, 2018 Melbourne Beach, FL DETAILS

very organized and efficient. always repond quickly and accomodaating.

Patty Cruz
February 5th, 2018 North Fort Myers, FL DETAILS

They are reasonably priced. Easy to file a claim, easy to add or remove a car off the policy

Margie Ramirez
January 22nd, 2018 DETAILS

They Always takes care of their customers no matter what

ldonj
January 15th, 2018 DETAILS

Quick service and very helpful with my daughter's accident.