Progressive Auto Insurance Logo

Progressive Auto Insurance

Is This Your Business?

9.3

LAST UPDATED: November 29th, 2021

Progressive Insurance is known for offering savings on car insurance. You can benefit from using its quote comparison and signature Name Your Price® tool to find good coverage that fits your budget. You can also benefit from the many discounts that Progressive offers its clients.

In addition to personal car insurance, Progressive offers many other kinds of specialized car insurance. These policies include rideshare, commercial, classic car, and auto insurance in Mexico.

You can also meet many of your other insurance needs when you choose Progressive because it offers dental, life, property insurance and more. We recommend working with Progressive especially if you have other insurance needs.

Read Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

The Good

• Positive Reviews
  • Excellent Coverage
  • Classic Car Coverage
  • Mexico Car Insurance
  • Variety of Discounts
  • Snapshot® Discount Program
  • Policy Features With Savings
  • Useful Rate and Comparison Tools
  • Helpful App
  • Convenient Customer Support
  • Additional Insurance Policies and Quotes

Positive Reviews

Progressive car insurance reviews on BestCompany.com reveal high levels of customer satisfaction.

Positive reviews mention good customer service and satisfaction with rates and savings.

If you're looking for a good car insurance rate, Progressive is worth exploring further.

Excellent Coverage

You can include the following when you buy from Progressive:

• Liability coverage
  • Comprehensive coverage
  • Collision coverage
  • Uninsured or Underinsured motorist coverage
  • Medical payments
  • Roadside assistance
  • Loan or lease payoff
  • Rental car reimbursement
  • Custom parts and equipment value
  • Rideshare coverage
  • Deductible savings bank (lower your deductible by $50 for each policy period without an accident or violation)

This variety of offerings means that you can find a policy with the coverage and perks you want. Keep in mind that some offerings from this auto insurance company can vary by state.

Classic Car Coverage

Progressive Classic Car by Hagerty is designed for cars 25-50 years old that are stored in an enclosed structure and are not used frequently. It offers Guaranteed Value® coverage for your classic car's real value. It also includes original replacement parts coverage. This policy is a great option for insuring your classic.

Car Insurance Coverage in Mexico

If you're planning a road trip to Mexico, you can choose from three coverage options for your trip. All of the options include roadside assistance in Mexico.

• Basic coverage includes level liability, travel assistance, medical payments, and legal assistance. It's ideal for cars over 20 years old.
  • Standard coverage includes everything that Basic coverage does. It also includes collision and theft coverage.
  • Extended coverage builds on both the Basic and Standard options by adding vandalism partial theft and U.S. repair coverage. You'll also benefit from fixed deductibles.

You can also purchase insurance for your RV or motorcycle. Having any of these coverage options will give you peace of mind while you drive in Mexico.

Variety of Discounts

You can find a variety discounts on Progressive car insurance. With such a high number or discounts and more flexibility with these discounts, it's easy to save money on your car insurance policy. Many of these discounts are also competitive for the auto insurance industry.

Progressive offers the following discounts:

• Snapshot® program participation
  • Multi-policy
  • Multi-car
  • Continuous insurance (based on how long you've been consistently insured even through other insurers)
  • Teen driver
  • Good student
  • Distant student (full time students age 22 or younger away at school without a car)
  • Homeowner (just for owning a home)
  • Online quote
  • Online document signature
  • Going paperless
  • Full 6-month payment
  • Automated payments

You can also save by bundling policies. Three consecutive years without accidents or tickets also results in lower premiums.

Snapshot® Program Discount

Many car insurers offer programs that customize your auto insurance rate based on your driving habits. Progressive stays current with industry trends by offering its Snapshot® Program. Through this program, you can get a personalized rate based on your driving. This rate won't be offered until your first policy period ends, which is typically six months.

You can use the Snapshot® app or the Snapshot® plugin to track your driving and get tips to improve your score. It only counts when you're driving the car, so you can deselect trips where you didn't drive.

The app notes when you use your phone, hard brakes, and fast acceleration. The plug-in is attached to your car and beeps when you brake hard. In general, you can improve your score by avoiding hard brakes, using slower acceleration, not using your phone, driving less frequently, and not driving at night.

While you'll need to wait six months before your discount kicks in, you do receive a discount just for participating in the program.

Policy Features With Savings

Progressive offers Small Accident Forgiveness that starts with your first policy. Your rate stays the same if the claim is less than $500. This accident forgiveness is a nice feature that protects your long-term budget.

Progressive clients who have been with the company for at least five years and have had no accidents in the last three years benefit from Large Accident Forgiveness. You won't have to worry about a rate increase if you're in a large accident and you meet Progressive's criteria.

You can add a Deductible Savings Bank feature for an increased premium. This feature knocks $50 off of your comprehensive or collision coverage deductible for each policy period without an accident or violation. These savings can come in handy when you do have an accident and need to pay your deductible.

Useful Rate and Comparison Tools

Progressive's platform allows you to compare rates and policies from other insurers, which will help you find the best policy at the best price.

Progressive's signature Name Your Price® Tool makes the car insurance company stand out from others. With this tool, it's easy to see car insurance policies that fit your target budget. This makes it easy to sort results and find policies that fit your budget.

Keep in mind that the coverage offered may not be as robust as more expensive insurance policies.

Helpful App

The Progressive App makes managing your insurance policy simple and convenient. You can view your policy information, billing and payments, ID cards and documents, and browse other insurance products from the app.

You can also use the app to request roadside assistance, file a claim, and upload photos for repair estimates. The Progressive App is full-service and makes it easy for your to manage your car insurance policy.

Convenient Customer Support

By choosing Progressive, you'll also benefit from convenient customer support. Progressive offers 24/7 customer support.

You can get insurance quotes and buy policies online. Once you have a policy, you can also manage your car insurance and file claims online. If you prefer, you can also call for a quote and call to make a claim.

You'll also benefit from Progressive's network of repair shops. These shops can do inspections or repairs. Progressive offers a limited lifetime guarantee for these repairs, which gives you additional peace of mind and confidence in the repairs your car gets.

Additional Insurance Policies and Quotes

Progressive offers many kinds of insurance. If you need a specific kind of car insurance, you can probably find it at Progressive. Progressive offers the following:

• Commercial auto
  • RV
  • ATV/UTV
  • Golf cart

If you're looking for a different kind of insurance product, you'll most likely be able to find it through Progressive. You can purchase the following from Progressive:

• Motorcycle insurance
  • Vision insurance
  • Pet insurance
  • General liability insurance
  • Professional liability insurance

You can even look for personal loans using Progressive. With its impressive selection of insurance types, Progressive is a great choice if you're looking for a one-stop shop for all your insurance needs.

The Bad

• Coverage Levels May Not Be Enough with the Name Your Price® Tool
  • Personal Information Required for Quote

Coverage Levels May Not Be Enough with the Name Your Price® Tool

Since the Name Your Price® Tool shows policies based on what you want to pay, these policies may have less robust coverage than more expensive ones. As you use this tool, pay close attention to the coverage offered by the policy and note the deductible.

You should also understand what kinds of coverage you can include in your policy and decide which ones you need. Knowing how car insurance works and looking at the deductibles will help you use the Name Your Price® Tool wisely.

Personal Information Required for Quote

To get a car insurance quote, you'll need to provide details on your car, your address, and driver's license. While this information is much more specific than what other services or insurance policies require for a quote, an auto insurance provider will need personal information to determine your quote.

The Bottom Line

While you should use the Name Your Price® Tool wisely, Progressive is an excellent way to find savings on car insurance. Its helpful features allow you to compare auto insurance rates and policies. You can also narrow your options down to policies in your price range with the Name Your Price® Tool. You'll also benefit from savings with Progressive 's many discounts.

Progressive offers many kinds of car insurance, so you'll be able to find even a specialized policy through the company. With each type of car insurance, Progressive offers good coverage options.

Whatever kind of car insurance you need, you're likely to find a good coverage option at Progressive.

4.1

Jodee McKeon Houston, TX

Been with Progressive for a few years now and I have no complaints. The app is user friendly, we have a good rate and it's been a good experience. I've never had to file a claim yet though so I can't speak to what that's like with them.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

When it comes to car insurance, Progressive always has your back. I believe everyone should shop around for auto insurance, as coverage options with decent prices can be hard to find. However, the search ends with progressive: they're great at making sure you're taking care of, regardless of the situation. I would 100% recommend progressive to a friend.

Anya Lee Jacksonville, FL

There has been a few periods when I was unable to pay my insurance on time but Progressive was very understanding and granted me an extension each time, which I’m very grateful for.

M. Neary Cleburne, TX

I have had this insurance on and off for 10 years. (only didn't have it when I was not driving) When I had a total loss accident, an agent came to my job within 3 days, wrote me a check and offered to take me to a car rental r dealership. Best customer service and rate out there.

Suzie DeKerlegand Lynnwood, WA

Love Progressive! They were super helpful when my daughter got in an accident, had my car fixed quickly and my rates did not change. For someone that has a history of no accidents I was terrified as to what was going to happen to my rates! Great Company, I have my car, my home and yes my daughter's car insured with them!

Krista Griffith Tulsa, OK

Customer service is friendly and answers promptly. My son got a surprisingly low rate after incurring a dui in 2019.

Crystal Menzie Tallahassee, FL

I love progressive that is currently my car insurance company and honestly I love the snapshot program since it helps me improve as a driver.

Cece Valentine Houston, TX

They look for what is best for you. Barely have problems with them. I recommend this company so you don’t get scammed and pay so much unnecessary money.

Brittney Love

This company is the worst when it comes to insurance along with Allstate I rented a vehicle from enterprise and it was damaged upon speaking to progressive I explained that the damages were already Pre-existing damages and that I was not responsible for these they assured me that before paying out on something they would keep in contact so that I know what was happening that never happened they paided for damages I hadn’t done them tried to charge me for paying for it after I specifically told them what happened so now I have this stain on my credit from them that shouldn’t be there my advice do not use them

Shawn Jackson New York, NY

On July 31, 2021 I was in a car accident in which the police had my vehicle towed under a program called darp. I was removed from the scene by EMS because I had sustained injuries. The very next day I filed a claim explaining the accident. The adjuster reached out to me and told me the next steps. I advised her that the tow truck company (Casino towing located in QUEENS NY on Beach 71 st in far Rockaway was corrupt). I advised her that they would attempt to get more money out of them and they needed to pick up my car. They didn’t listen to me and it took 18 days before my car was picked up and they were charged 3700 dollars. In the process they kept calling me asking me to go to the tow truck company to dispute the charges and call the police because I’m the owner. At no point in time did they ever give me a rental when I asked for full coverage. Now any other insurance company I’ve had, whenever I say full coverage rental assistance is included. The rep told me they don’t know what full coverage is. That’s the wrong term. So they expected me to take off from work and dispute charges with a tow truck company on my dime and time. When they finally got my car they deemed it as a total loss and left me with a balance of 4500 to pay back to the bank not to mention my adjuster never knew whether or not if the party that hit my vehicle had insurance. After weeks of me waiting for them to inform me I finally decided to call all insurance company with the information I had. Come to find out the other party had State Farm and wasn’t the listed driver and never reported the accident. However, I was told by my adjuster that she ran the plate number and didn’t find anything so she didn’t think they had insurance. So I then turned around and file a complaint with corporate and I received an email from Michael D. the claims manager who was very nasty, abrupt, and condescending. He never offered help what he told me was what my financial obligation was. Moving forward I filed a claim for loss wages because I was out of work due to injuries that happened in the accident. I went the whole month of august with no money and in the process my claims adjuster was changed twice. September came and I still didn’t receive anything for my loss wages claim. Then my adjuster tells me she needs paperwork from my employer filled out and sent back. I had that filled out and emailed back. A week later she says she needs confirmation from my job but couldn’t get in contact with them. I then three way my jobs employment department and the adjuster says she can’t speak to them while I’m on the phone. She turn around and emails my job employment department the same paper I filled out and emailed her back a week ago. I then speak to her supervisor and she was no help. She now tells me they have to call all the places I had medical treatment to see if it was in relations to the accident. By this time it’s now October. Now I receive a call by a adjuster saying she’ll now be taking over my case and I am entitled to something. Shortly after the first payment I received a letter in the mail with a followed up call by Devin S., the medical claims adjuster , who says I have to attend the doctors appointments as it will determine the state of my injuries. October 20 and 22 I went to the doctors they referred me to and they did a bunch of range of motion test. I advised both the doctors I was still in pain, feet swelling and lower back pain. I also advised them the only test done to me at the hospital was to check and see if I had internal bleeding to the head because I had a laceration to my head. Both doctors came to the conclusion in fine and there’s nothing wrong with me. I advised both of them i was having an MRI done and it was scheduled for November 1, 2021 because that’s the only available date they had open. Well Devin Salvione called me November 4 and 5 to tell me the doctors progressive referred me to said I’m fine and there’s nothing wrong with me including my spine. However, I advised Mr Salvione as per the MRI I received it states I have injuries to my lower back which is sitting on a nerve and causing my feet to swell. Mr Salvione said we’ll take that up with arbitration as of now your claim for loss wages is denied. I filed a complaint with corporate and I’m waiting to hear back from them.I’ll keep y’all updated

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

The transition of adding me into my family's policy was so simple with Progressive. They have accompanied my family for years and I cant wait for them to do the same for me!

J. R. Alexander Fleming Island, FL

Like most all insurance peddlers, Progressive employs some of the better liars in order to make a few more bucks for their bottom line. I had signed up for some vehicle insurance and was given a quote for what I wanted as coverage. I agreed with the price and coverage and authorized payment on my credit card. However, when I received the Declarations Page, it was immediately clear I was being charged for LESS than what I had informed Progressive I wanted - and they agreed to - in coverage. When I contacted Progressive about the "missing" coverage, I was told it could be added on - - for an additional cost.

Ms. KoKo MA

Best insurance company! My rates don't go up as much either!! I also had a customer service representative get me out of a rut when I was purchasing a vehicle summer of 2020!! Superb customer service!!

Alexis Mcintosh Tallahassee, FL

Great service helpful staff, would definitely recommend. Progressives mobile app is amazing I love how quickly I can get into contact with progressive when I need them. Amazing company for home and auto insurance!

LP ID Rexburg, ID

You get what you pay for!! A lot of people price check different insurance companies and a lot of times Progressive is less expensive. Great, right? It is until you get into an accident. They are very difficult to deal with and a lot of fine print that you didn't read carefully enough. For example; In some policies, they will request junkyard used parts or non-OEM (not from the manufacturer) parts. Rental coverage is another headache. I'm not saying to pay the highest prices, I'm simply saying you're getting a lower quality coverage when you pay less.

Anthony Pelchat Atlanta, GA

Progressive has been decent, but they need to be much more upfront on their site and with their paperwork. Having your monthly bill increase by roughly $100 just because your auto payment canceled is crazy. It's even worse when you actually update the payment information in the site but that doesn't update everywhere, and then it cancels without you knowing it.

Hope Funk Chicago, IL

Completely average experience. I've had them for the last few years for my moped / motorcycle coverage. They've had decent rates and okay support so far. Last month I accidentally scratched my neighbor's car when pulling out of my spot; my neighbor also had progressive and they've barely reached out to me but also aren't making me pay or do anything. Really neutral experience I guess.

Brandon Berwyn, IL

Honestly, I was always pretty happy with Progressive. Had their auto insurance for 4 years and the only left because was StateFarm came in cheaper one year and Progressive couldn't match. They did try to negotiate and come down a little but not enough to warrant staying.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I used Progressive years ago. They were super awesome when I wrecked my car. An adjuster was sent out the day after my wreck and literally cut me a check to get my repairs done. And then they paid the difference at the repair shop, because their was some engine damage that wasn’t seen by the adjuster. Great customer service!

Anna Hope Chicago, IL

I appreciate always being able to reach someone, a REAL person, when I have a question. My experience has been positive with the staff being knowledgeable and helpful and respectful. I also love that I can print my updated insurance card from my account online! Super convenient!

Tammy Koch St Louis, MO

Only been their customer for a year or so, but so far so good. Their app makes reviewing my policy super easy. Providing proof of coverage is convenient with the app as well. I was with another company for years but switch to save money. I don't think I've heard from an agent yet, so no sales calls. But that also means no proactive customer service.

Jeannine Watts Waycross, GA

Progressive has been my car insurance company for the past 10 years. I didnt have the greatest motor vehicle score in the beginning but it has improved over the years and my cost of insurance has went down. I am very happy with my car insurance with Progressive and will continue to be their customer for another ten years.

Kara Turkson Tallahassee, FL

Progressive has very affordable rates and values longtime customers. Their roadside assistance has been helpful as well when I have to have my car towed.

HC Brana Sanford, FL

I give it only 3 stars because it is pretty good rates for some people, unfortunately if you had even the smallest accident this could be the highest insurance. Also we found that it is better to shop and call. We did it on line and then called and they gave us abetter rate.

TERRa femmer Houston, TX

I have always had fantastic customer service. There was an error on their part and they fixed it immediately. The only reason I don't give 5 stars is because i was not able to bundle homeowners and auto to save as it was not the best deal out there. Other than that, fantastic!

E Jester Baltimore, MD

I loved Progressive when I was a customer. The price was right for me at the time. However, conducting a claim can take a while to complete. I incurred an accident with one of my vehicles that were parked and hit by a motorist. The vehicle was totalled. It took a minute to get the residuals from the proceeds of the car to purchase a new vehicle. This was before COVID 19 when delays would have been popping. Overall, Progressive is decent insurance and I would return if the price was right on the homeowner's policy.

Penny Jackson, TN

Progressive is a very reliable auto insurance company. They care about their customers and that's what I like about them. We left progressive for about 2 years but came right back because it just wasn't the same with the other insurance company. We were getting the run around which we never experienced with progressive. Also I premium gets reduced occasionally for being safe drivers.

Nina Harris-Whitten Attalla, AL

I was on my way to Jacksonville Fl. and going through Atlanta during the 5pm rush and a tire from a big truck blown out and I could not go right or left because the traffic was so packed and had to run over the tire that bent my oil pan. They paid for this and deemed it not my fault and for a 66 yr old woman, with a 2020 Kia Spotage my payments are just 84.00 a month...cant beat that with a stick.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

Progressive was super affordable as a new driver. When someone rear ended me, they took great care of me!

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

I had someone help me out tremendously when they let me take my vehicle after repairs and make payments instead of making me pay in full. <3

courtney tennant Salem, VA

I tried Progressive Auto Insurance for about a year and it was more expensive than my other auto insurance company for the same exact coverages. Customer service was always fast but sometimes felt rushed to ask my questions.

Tymmekia Miller Birmingham, AL

Hands down best insurance company I’ve used so far. I’ve only had a small incident and it was handled fairly well. My rates did not increase which is really good.

Jonathan Isaac Rodriguez Los Angeles, CA

currrentl have progressive but they sent a bill of mine over to collections for a car i only had 6 days and they wanted me to pay for another month. Why would i pay for a month i no longer had the vehicle that they paid out for.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Progressive is a great company. We used to work with them before our current insurance provider. They were a cheap company and service was always great.

Chris Bright Tempe, AZ

Excellent service and best prices. Snapshot was super simple to use and saved me money. I love the vanishing deductible program. I shop around every 6 months for 4 years, no one has yet to beat their rates and quality.

merissa white Battle Creek, MI

Able to provide decent rates for bundling. And customer service is eager to help when needed. They did an awesome job with getting documents turned over when I was buying a new house.

Becky Winter Springs, FL

I’ve never had a problem with this company and I feel the prices for there auto insurance is reasonable. Anytime I’ve had to call them I’ve had nothing but exceptional service.

Alicia Turner Denver, CO

Progressive has been great to work with and true to their customers. They cover what they say they will cover but like all insurances customer service can sometimes be hard. Also rates go up after adding a car taking it off and then putting it back on months latter.

Bob Means McKeesport, PA

I used progressive insurance for a few years. For a long time they provided the best rates for me and I did not have good credit. Any time I had to call to get paperwork or adjust limits or anything on my policy they were great. The only reason I left was I found a better local company.

Roberta Profitt Marcus Hook, PA

I've been a customer for about 13 years. We had 6 cars on our policy when we started. We are down to 4. We have had a few accidents which totaled 3 cars, one not being at fault. Progressive took care of me, assured me things will be ok and they always ended up being ok. They are great.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

My rates with Progressive have been great and even when I got in an accident a couple of years back, the customer service team was very compassionate and helpful while submitting my claim. They walked me through everything step-by-step and followed up to make sure that I understood the process. Their app needs a bit of work, as there are a lot of things that have to be accessed externally, but aside from that, I have had a very positive experience with them.

Lan Gon San Antonio, TX

I've been with this company for almost 3 years prices have been going up everything's running smoothly again I haven't had a wreck or any tickets so haven't had to deal with them much but whenever I talk to him about changing or upping different things

Brandon Griess Houston, TX

Didnt cover my electrical issue with car and nearly made me homeless vet and frontline worker in pandemic, warrantee had just expired from mileage, had car less than a year, cant prove another incidents time frame from start of service and more recently monthly payment was late by a few days and in that time they dropped coverage and threatened me in an email about no further service being afforded because of it. So they dont cover my claims, they expect money right away no late payment exceptions, and provide provide me with no customer care, no sense of being covered, and really just dont care about you, will be switching ASAP. They are cheapest insurance, and there is a reason, cheapest insurance draws in the people, and they do a good job keeping to providing bare minimum to stay at the top. You’ll get your moneys worth, and youll get coverage, but make one bad move (in pandemic especially) and you’ll feel the same way I do, abandoned and left to manage some other way without the coverage of the insurance you pay to be at peace of mind.

Tee Kirky Norwalk, CA

I have been with Progressive for over 5 years, most insurance company's will try to avoid a payout but when my van was stolen and found totaled. Progressive came through and I didn't have to jump through hoops. Great company

Heavensenthorse Clermont, FL

I have had progressive for 2 years now. Thankfully I haven't had to use them for anything but a towing reimbursement. But the local agent's customer service is super. I guess the review would be more for Bates Insurance Group, but since we have Progressive for all our car needs, I will give them a 5 star due to the customer service of BIG!

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

They have good student discounts however their rates are very expensive. Coverage is good after an accident.

Lisa Williams Jacksonville, FL

It was pretty well. Everything was well explained and easy for me to grasp about learning about insurance for me car

Dottie S Downing Meadville, PA

Wonderful customer service and very quick to process claims.. Wonderful website to make payments etc

A Gotti Carmel, IN

A wonderful insurance company. They are legitimate and take care of their customers, which is hard to find

Joy V Salt Lake City, UT

They made it so easy to find the coverage that I needed for my specific situation. Great customer service, always willing to help.