Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate Auto Insurance Logo

Allstate Auto Insurance

Mobile app, 50 state coverage

Allstate is the second largest provider of personal insurance and the largest publicly-held insurance company in the United States. The company offers many other types of insurance, including homeowners, life and fire insurance, and has expanded into Canada. However, Allstate does not seem to be the fastest or most efficient company when it comes to handling claims.

#1 Geico Auto Insurance Logo Geico Auto Insurance ›

9.1

Overall
Score

#2 State Farm Auto Insurance Logo State Farm Auto Insurance ›

8.2

Overall
Score

#3 Progressive Auto Insurance Logo Progressive Auto Insurance ›

7.7

Overall
Score

#4 Allstate Auto Insurance Logo Allstate Auto Insurance ›

7.3

Overall
Score

The Good

• Coverage features
  • Service coverage
  • Discounts
  • File/track claims

Coverage Features

• Rental reimbursement
  • Audio/Video equipment
  • Towing and labor

Service Coverage

Allstate services all 50 states and each state has agents to help customers to better understand their state's insurance requirements. Allstate allows you to check auto insurance requirements for each state. Agents help create personalized plans to satisfy your needs

Allstate has a truly impressive variety of insurance coverage types for just about any area you can imagine, so it can be a one-stop shop for all of your insurance needs. Rates are not the lowest in the industry, and in some cases are a bit higher than the competition, but overall they are not bad. In fact, for such a massive company with so many options, the rates are reasonable.

Discounts

• Safe drivers
  • TeenSMART
  • Defensive driver

File/Track Claims

Allstate offers a free app for iPhones and Android phones that is fairly well reviewed. The current version has a higher rating than previous versions, as Allstate has added features, improved the interface and corrected some minor bugs. The app offers a good range of features, giving users access to all of their accounts, allowing them to make payments, file and track claims, manage policies and access roadside assistance.

In fact, filing and tracking claims couldn't be easier. Customers can do it through an agent directly, over the phone, online through the Allstate website or through the mobile phone app. The process is fairly simple, and the claim can be tracked every step of the way.

The Bad

• Poor claim payout
  • Steep rates

Poor Claim Payout

The American Association for Justice ranked Allstate as among the worst insurance companies on the market in 2008 because of what they called a "boxing gloves" approach to paying out claims. Allstate says they have vastly improved their approach since then, but complaints continue to mount.

Steep Rates

Allstate does not have the most affordable rates on the market. In some cases, their rates are a little higher than the competition, so this might not be the best choice for someone who is just looking for the cheapest premium.

The Bottom Line

Despite some complaints about claims processing, Allstate is a massive company that offers an impressive array of insurance coverage types. Rates are not bad, if not the lowest in the industry, but the convenience of getting all of your insurance needs met in one place might make it worth paying just a little bit more.

They lack one or two common discount options, but the ones they do offer are pretty good. The safe driving bonus check is particularly appealing. Overall, Allstate comes highly recommended for their long, stable history and variety of coverage option.

Darius Williams
December 12th, 2018 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

more affordable than geico but still more on the expensive side of auto insurance

Melissa Carreno
December 11th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Allstate's customer service is good, a little pushy with their sales, their service is good, not great. Price is okay, but they are not a bad company to have

Mia Hernandez
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

good company people are friendly and usually very willing and happy to assist i would recommend this company

Shawn
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Farmers insurance is easy to work with had a great experience working with her agents when there was an accident and had to make a claim they paid out quickly and very fairly.

jessica
December 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I currently have them now and they are good the only problem I have is that my agent quit and I was not notified.

Starski Cene
November 27th, 2018 Vienna, VA

One of their drivers hit me, and from the start, they were professional and timely.

Eric Learo
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

I was insured through Allstate for about 6 months and while I have no major issues with the way things were ran over there, the pricing was a bit steep. This may have been due to me being of a younger age but in all they weren't bad. The customer service reps were helpful and informative.

Garn L. Arnold
November 12th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

I use All State for my boat and boat trailer insurance. They 've been very good to deal with. I haven't had a need to make a claim but the insurance reps are very responsive. During the Winter they allow me to drop comprehensive and just go with liability while my boat is just sitting.

Angela Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

Like the slogan says, we are in good hands!Our agent is on top of things, and we have never had any issues when insurance is needed. They answer the phone and are personable and always helpful.

Melanie Curtis
November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We had Allstate for our car insurance for many years, including the worst car accident of our married life. Our little Hyundai Excel ended up getting totaled, and I had to go through a lot of physical therapy. Allstate did fine, eventually we left them because we found lower premiums with Progressive.

Dylan Curtis
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Had AllState for years, they were our provider when we had our most serious car accident. We enjoyed their service, until we got a rate quote that was much lower from Progressive.

Alice C
October 26th, 2018 DETAILS

They can improve on their communication skills, and their poor customer service.

Tammy Brady
October 24th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

We weren't aware they had lost our payment check. When we tried to renew our policy and they said we weren't insured and wanted to charge us high risk rates when we were not high risk and only uninsured through their clerical error.

Brady Hanson
October 19th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

My family has car and renters insurance through Allstate. We have been extremely satisfied with the service. They completely covered the cost of replacing our car windshield, and the premiums are low. You can get a discount for bundling insurance and for getting statements online. You can even set up automatic renewals so you don’t have to worry about your insurance running out. I would highly recommend.

Tyra Crockett
September 21st, 2018 American Fork, UT

I have been an Allstate customer for over 20 years. They handle my home and auto insurance. They have been very easy to work with during moves across states and the rates and service are always top notch.

Whitney Hawkes
September 17th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

I love Allstate Auto Insurance. I love how if you have a problem they will help you soon and I also love how it is not expensive.

Melanie E
September 17th, 2018 Draper, UT

Agents were/are knowledgeable and courteous. Unfortunately, their insurance adjusters attempted to weasel the least expensive means of fixing my car. Additionally, their costs are exceptionally high, relative to other agencies.

Tracy
September 17th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I have been with Allstate now for 10 years. They have helped me with my condo an 2 different cars. They are always so helpful and got me the coverage I needed with discounts.

Leslie
September 11th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

Allstate has been awesome! I have used them for my auto insurance for years and have never had any problems. When I got in a car accident, the claims process was simple. Allstate was speed in arranging for my car rental and things went smoothly.

wanda
August 30th, 2018 Saint George, UT

my payment was not processed on time and my vehicle was not covered. i didn't find this out until i was pulled over due to one of my rear lights wasn't working. i was so shocked when i was told my vehicle is not covered. i was so upset and called Allstate immediately. i was on hold for ever, then transferred to the right department, put on hold again for 20 mins. i spoke to 3 agents who couldn't tell me what happened. finally someone called back and said i didn't make a payment on time. i called my bank and they verified that my check was cleared a 9 days before the due date. no one apologized to me they put blame on me and didn't care that i was driving around with NO coverage. that was the last time i did business with Allstate Auto Insurance.

deb
August 29th, 2018 Midvale, UT

So far so good. When I talk to my agent, they are very helpful.

Rashida Laumatia
August 28th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Great customer service, amazing pricing, love the offers they give to loyal customers, and they have amazing coverage.

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

best decision was switching from Allstate to Geico. Allstate agents only care about the numbers and not the paying customers. The Agents were always rude over the phone and over spoke me when i was trying to speak.

Kristiane R Durfey
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We had previously used this company but chose to leave for better rates from a different company.

Dave Brinton
August 24th, 2018

I felt like I was in good hands. I appreciated the clear explanations of overages, and deductibles.

Hollie sampson
August 23rd, 2018 Hooper, UT

I think they are a great company. I was with the for several years. Prices are high.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Allstate is a little more expensive than other insurances but well worth the peace of mind. I would never change!

Troy Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

I have not used Allstate for several years now, but they were extremely good to work with when I did. I currently have boat insurance with Allstate and had to file a claim last year. It was a rather expensive fix and they took care of it with pretty much no questions asked. Would highly recommend.

Catherine Taliulu
August 20th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I’m currently using them as my insurance and I’ve been happy with them.

Haidyn Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Allstate really does help you so much. They were very understanding and really took time to listen to the needs that I had.

Hunter
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

With all state I am in more than good hands I am family they take care of me I feel comfortable in my cars and I never feel gypped great auto insurance company.

Becky Rasmussen
August 20th, 2018 American Fork, UT

My experience with All State as a customer was fine except the insurance agents in our area tend to under insure their clients trying offer the lowest rate, which is problematic if you're really in a car accident. However, from time to time All State has offered the most competitive rate even with appropriate coverage amounts. They were professional and helpful when I was a client. From another perspective if their driver is at fault and hits you they fight hard to not payout. We had to hire a lawyer to get compensation in my car accident. My 12 year old daughter sustained 2 herniated disc and 2 bulging discs in her back. They tried to hire a 3rd party doctor to prove that the injuries weren't from the car accident and not affecting her. The 3rd party doctor determined that the car accident was responsible and provided recommendation to the court that they offer the compensation for treatment. My attorney advised me that All State is the hardest insurance company to get paid claims on auto accidents.

Dylan Findlay
August 16th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I have used Allstate for all of my insurance needs for years. When I was involved in an accident, even though it was not my fault, Allstate took care of everything and coordinated with the other driver’s insurance company.

Tom Walker
July 23rd, 2018 Georgetown, KY

I have had Allstate for many years and they have always been available to help ona claim or give information on coverage's that I need and coverage's that I do not need.

Heather Walker
July 23rd, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

Great rates and took a lot to find equal coverage with lower rates. Many of the insurance agents that we dealt with locally were difficult to get a hold of but always returned our calls in a reasonable time frame.

Tanner Hales
July 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My one experience with Allstate would be what I would consider mediocre. I was hit by a driver carrying their insurance, and they did eventually pay, but it took more phone calls and time than it really should have.

Alicia Holman
July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I really like this company! The biggest reason is their customer service when an issue arises. They are quick to respond and want to take care of their customers. After my accident, I felt like I had someone on my side.

Danuel Allen
July 10th, 2018

We used for many years. Great customer service. Claims processed fast and with no problems.

Paul Kasprzyk
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

i have used Russ G with Allstate insurance for over 16 years. He is always available when i call in or email with any questions. they also price compare my policy b4 every renewal to make sure i am paying the lowest prices. i recommend them to everyone.

Kaleb Herbert
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Working with Allstate was very smooth and effortless. They have great customer service and the process for a claim is very easy