Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate Auto Insurance Logo

7.3

Allstate Auto Insurance

Mobile app, 50 state coverage

Allstate is the second largest provider of personal insurance and the largest publicly-held insurance company in the United States. The company offers many other types of insurance, including homeowners, life and fire insurance, and has expanded into Canada. However, Allstate does not seem to be the fastest or most efficient company when it comes to handling claims.

The Good

• Coverage features
  • Service coverage
  • Discounts
  • File/track claims

Coverage Features

• Rental reimbursement
  • Audio/Video equipment
  • Towing and labor

Service Coverage

Allstate services all 50 states and each state has agents to help customers to better understand their state's insurance requirements. Allstate allows you to check auto insurance requirements for each state. Agents help create personalized plans to satisfy your needs

Allstate has a truly impressive variety of insurance coverage types for just about any area you can imagine, so it can be a one-stop shop for all of your insurance needs. Rates are not the lowest in the industry, and in some cases are a bit higher than the competition, but overall they are not bad. In fact, for such a massive company with so many options, the rates are reasonable.

Discounts

• Safe drivers
  • TeenSMART
  • Defensive driver

File/Track Claims

Allstate offers a free app for iPhones and Android phones that is fairly well reviewed. The current version has a higher rating than previous versions, as Allstate has added features, improved the interface and corrected some minor bugs. The app offers a good range of features, giving users access to all of their accounts, allowing them to make payments, file and track claims, manage policies and access roadside assistance.

In fact, filing and tracking claims couldn't be easier. Customers can do it through an agent directly, over the phone, online through the Allstate website or through the mobile phone app. The process is fairly simple, and the claim can be tracked every step of the way.

The Bad

• Poor claim payout
  • Steep rates

Poor Claim Payout

The American Association for Justice ranked Allstate as among the worst insurance companies on the market in 2008 because of what they called a "boxing gloves" approach to paying out claims. Allstate says they have vastly improved their approach since then, but complaints continue to mount.

Steep Rates

Allstate does not have the most affordable rates on the market. In some cases, their rates are a little higher than the competition, so this might not be the best choice for someone who is just looking for the cheapest premium.

The Bottom Line

Despite some complaints about claims processing, Allstate is a massive company that offers an impressive array of insurance coverage types. Rates are not bad, if not the lowest in the industry, but the convenience of getting all of your insurance needs met in one place might make it worth paying just a little bit more.

They lack one or two common discount options, but the ones they do offer are pretty good. The safe driving bonus check is particularly appealing. Overall, Allstate comes highly recommended for their long, stable history and variety of coverage option.

Whitney Hawkes
September 17th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

I love Allstate Auto Insurance. I love how if you have a problem they will help you soon and I also love how it is not expensive.

Melanie E
September 17th, 2018 Draper, UT

Agents were/are knowledgeable and courteous. Unfortunately, their insurance adjusters attempted to weasel the least expensive means of fixing my car. Additionally, their costs are exceptionally high, relative to other agencies.

Tracy
September 17th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I have been with Allstate now for 10 years. They have helped me with my condo an 2 different cars. They are always so helpful and got me the coverage I needed with discounts.

Leslie
September 11th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

Allstate has been awesome! I have used them for my auto insurance for years and have never had any problems. When I got in a car accident, the claims process was simple. Allstate was speed in arranging for my car rental and things went smoothly.

wanda
August 30th, 2018 Saint George, UT

my payment was not processed on time and my vehicle was not covered. i didn't find this out until i was pulled over due to one of my rear lights wasn't working. i was so shocked when i was told my vehicle is not covered. i was so upset and called Allstate immediately. i was on hold for ever, then transferred to the right department, put on hold again for 20 mins. i spoke to 3 agents who couldn't tell me what happened. finally someone called back and said i didn't make a payment on time. i called my bank and they verified that my check was cleared a 9 days before the due date. no one apologized to me they put blame on me and didn't care that i was driving around with NO coverage. that was the last time i did business with Allstate Auto Insurance.

deb
August 29th, 2018 Midvale, UT

So far so good. When I talk to my agent, they are very helpful.

Rashida Laumatia
August 28th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Great customer service, amazing pricing, love the offers they give to loyal customers, and they have amazing coverage.

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

best decision was switching from Allstate to Geico. Allstate agents only care about the numbers and not the paying customers. The Agents were always rude over the phone and over spoke me when i was trying to speak.

Kristiane R Durfey
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We had previously used this company but chose to leave for better rates from a different company.

Dave Brinton
August 24th, 2018

I felt like I was in good hands. I appreciated the clear explanations of overages, and deductibles.

Hollie sampson
August 23rd, 2018 Hooper, UT

I think they are a great company. I was with the for several years. Prices are high.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Allstate is a little more expensive than other insurances but well worth the peace of mind. I would never change!

Troy Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

I have not used Allstate for several years now, but they were extremely good to work with when I did. I currently have boat insurance with Allstate and had to file a claim last year. It was a rather expensive fix and they took care of it with pretty much no questions asked. Would highly recommend.

Catherine Taliulu
August 20th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I’m currently using them as my insurance and I’ve been happy with them.

Haidyn Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Allstate really does help you so much. They were very understanding and really took time to listen to the needs that I had.

Hunter
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

With all state I am in more than good hands I am family they take care of me I feel comfortable in my cars and I never feel gypped great auto insurance company.

Becky Rasmussen
August 20th, 2018 American Fork, UT

My experience with All State as a customer was fine except the insurance agents in our area tend to under insure their clients trying offer the lowest rate, which is problematic if you're really in a car accident. However, from time to time All State has offered the most competitive rate even with appropriate coverage amounts. They were professional and helpful when I was a client. From another perspective if their driver is at fault and hits you they fight hard to not payout. We had to hire a lawyer to get compensation in my car accident. My 12 year old daughter sustained 2 herniated disc and 2 bulging discs in her back. They tried to hire a 3rd party doctor to prove that the injuries weren't from the car accident and not affecting her. The 3rd party doctor determined that the car accident was responsible and provided recommendation to the court that they offer the compensation for treatment. My attorney advised me that All State is the hardest insurance company to get paid claims on auto accidents.

Dylan Findlay
August 16th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I have used Allstate for all of my insurance needs for years. When I was involved in an accident, even though it was not my fault, Allstate took care of everything and coordinated with the other driver’s insurance company.

Tom Walker
July 23rd, 2018 Georgetown, KY

I have had Allstate for many years and they have always been available to help ona claim or give information on coverage's that I need and coverage's that I do not need.

Heather Walker
July 23rd, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

Great rates and took a lot to find equal coverage with lower rates. Many of the insurance agents that we dealt with locally were difficult to get a hold of but always returned our calls in a reasonable time frame.

Tanner Hales
July 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My one experience with Allstate would be what I would consider mediocre. I was hit by a driver carrying their insurance, and they did eventually pay, but it took more phone calls and time than it really should have.

Alicia Holman
July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I really like this company! The biggest reason is their customer service when an issue arises. They are quick to respond and want to take care of their customers. After my accident, I felt like I had someone on my side.

Danuel Allen
July 10th, 2018

We used for many years. Great customer service. Claims processed fast and with no problems.

Paul Kasprzyk
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

i have used Russ G with Allstate insurance for over 16 years. He is always available when i call in or email with any questions. they also price compare my policy b4 every renewal to make sure i am paying the lowest prices. i recommend them to everyone.

Kaleb Herbert
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Working with Allstate was very smooth and effortless. They have great customer service and the process for a claim is very easy

michelle l pierce
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have never had this company for insurance , But have heard great things about them. Fast claim service, and good customer service.

Talan Nielson
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I’ve been with Allstate for over 25 years. My experience has been of fairness ,equality ,and most importantly security. I know that Allstate always will be there for me and my family. Now that’s the confidence and comfort a father of five needs.

Trent Allen
June 21st, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Great customer service. Used them for many years. only had to file a windshield claim and that went smooth.

June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Allstate Auto Insurance is a very trusted company, and I feel the same way. When I had an accident they took care of everything without a hiccup.

Avery Fowler
June 7th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

When we compared this company with our current insurance provider they were very similar in services, but because we have been with our insurance for so long we decided not to switch at this time. If we ever decide to change companies, we will seriously consider Allstate because of their customer and brand reliability.

Louis Francis
May 25th, 2018 Lompoc, CA DETAILS

Very Helpful and Friendly Been with Alstate since 1984

Diane Kretser
May 21st, 2018 Albany, NY DETAILS

My agent and the office are always available to answer questions. They were right by my side during a car accident.

Rickf
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

Rates are a little expensive if you don't have other products with them.

Dawn Rutledge
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

because they give you good service they are very kind and helpful in evey way.

Beverly Tubbs
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

Have been with them for years and always great customer service

Stuart Hanken
May 7th, 2018 West Palm Beach, FL DETAILS

Personal service is good, claim response is excellent, rates are competative.

David Lewis
May 1st, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have had Allstate insurance for about 5 years and have loved them. I am with Aaron G. and he has been extremely helpful. He was able to explain things extremely well and help with everything I needed. I have auto and home insurance and he did not try and sell me other insurances. They keep me well informed and have been very quick with filling any of my claims.

Alex Lewis
May 1st, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

We've had a very positive experience with Allstate. We have a comptetive price for our car insurance. Their agents are accommodating and answered all of our questions and we have never felt pressured to include additional products or services that we didn't need.

Andrea S
April 16th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

Our family has used Allstate for home and auto insurance for 30 years. They have been great when we've needed to file a claim and helpful and professional in all ways. We have lived in several parts of the country and we've changed our agent when we moved, but stayed with Allstate because the service has been excellent. They are competitive in price, but not the least expensive, but you get a great product and service. We receive cash rewards for good driving records, which are significant. We also had an instance where someone fraudulently said we had been in an accident with them in another city and Allstate took care of it quickly and without any trouble to us. We would highly recommend them. My only "complaint" is that they send a lot of email advertisements, but that is something you can control.

Tera Lee
April 12th, 2018 Layton, UT

I had to file a claim against a policy holder that's with All State. The claim adjusters were very helpful and in get my claim filed so I could get my car fixed!