Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
#2 Zenernet chevron_right
#3 Sunrun chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.0

Cindy

May 23rd, 2016 Clinton, MA

Our sales rep Dennis was very knowledgable about the product. He answered all our questions and was very accommodating to work with our schedule.

Walter

May 23rd, 2016 Waltham, MA

The installation was problem free and was completed in a morning. This was the second attempt to install, as the first was postponed by snow. In fact, the entire team waited hours hoping the snow would abate, but to no avail. The turnaround time from install to activation was supposed to be up to 12 weeks but it happened in less than a month. Very impressive. My only suggestion is to get an app to allow me to track the production and trending on my phone or tablet. The webpage offers very little information other than current day, current week and current month production.

Amalia Villa

May 20th, 2016 Lawrence, MA

My salesperson was awesome and the panels look great

Steve Jacques

May 20th, 2016 Princeton, MA

Disappointed in the fact that my gutter was damaged during panel installation that was back in January and still waiting for Vivint to send someone to replace it.

Gladys Rodriguez

May 19th, 2016 Lawrence, MA

Im very happy with my salesman and also very happy with the panels

Carrie Henninges

May 19th, 2016 Hamden, CT

Just got my solar panels installed and they look great . Thanks guys and thank you Josh for all your help. I would recommend Vivintsolar to anyone who is interested in going solar or would like to get more information on solar power. Can' t wait till the town inspection is done and the panels are turned on.

Jenn Grace

May 19th, 2016 Windsor, CT

We worked with Jon Manfre in getting solar panels put on our house. Jon has been amazing. Walked us through every part of the process - which there are a lot of steps - and has explained everything in great detail. We've already recommended Vivint to others based on our experience with Jon.

TJ

May 18th, 2016 Indio, CA

Salesman made a good pitch, promises made that were not kept. Installation was in July 2015, service turned on late Aug 2015. We were assured that if there were any leaks in our roof (as we had no prior ones), Vivint would take care of the repair. Vivint is now denying responsibility stating that the leak is not directly under one of their panels when in fact the leak caused water to be re-routed after moving roof tiles to accommodate the panels. Contacted our salesman 3 times with promises of follow up with his manager, no responses to my inquiries. We now have a leak in the living room that they won't repair!!! Other issue is that the installers placed the receiver too far from the inverter box causing too many interruptions in transmissions. Tech came out, drilled a hole in the exterior wall to run a cable to an interior bedroom, moved all of our internet router/wifi equipment (without our knowledge) to a back bedroom only to find out that all that was needed was a wireless extender. Now we have an unnecessary hole in the wall with an ugly wire sticking out!

Doug

May 18th, 2016 New York, NY

Dealing with vivint solar has been great. We have had no problems from the start of the process. After 2 years , no problems and have saved a lot of money. Have recommended them to our friends.

Kristin B

May 18th, 2016 Saugus, MA

After working with the sales consultant Adam Barras, who was very helpful and was there every step of the way contacting people when things weren't done when they should have been or when people never showed up for the electrical inspection and lied and said they did, we were finally up and running in 6 months. He treated us amazing and was very patient with our questions and concerns. The process was truly a nightmare and I think more people need to be hired so that the job runs smoothly. Our family is now saving almost 50% of our electric bill which we couldn't be happier about.

Rich Melloni

May 18th, 2016 Wareham, MA

The Vivint Solar experience has been seamless and cost efficient. The panels are well installed and the internet modem connection and auto bill pay save me time on tracking and paying for energy consumption. I save on average about 20-30% per month off my electric bill using the panels they installed on my home. I would highly recommend them.

Patty Willis

May 18th, 2016 Boston, MA

Adam Barras the Sales Representative that came to my home was knowledgeable and very patient with me explaining the process.

Shelley

May 18th, 2016 Buzzards Bay, MA

Good service all around

Katrina Calvert Boschetti

May 18th, 2016 Peabody, MA

Love my solar panels! May will be the 2nd month without an electric bill and we still have credits! I can't wait to see my savings this summer! Definitely use Vivint if you want to go solar, they really know how to explain how the process works and what to expect!

Smith

May 17th, 2016 Willingboro, NJ

Vivint's bills are too high! Was told wouldn't pay over a certain amount each month, which is not true. I see no savings! A web of misrepresentation!!!!!! Getting electric bill from PSE&G as well as from Vivnt. Bills = more then if i had 1 bill from 1 company.... I wish I can remove these solar panels and go back to JUST 1 bill from PSE&G!!!!!

Peter Balzarini

May 17th, 2016 Wareham, MA

I got a Vivint Solar electricity system for my home in August 2014. It took a while for the power company to switch my NET meter, but once it was activated I have been up and running since January 2015. I could not be more pleased with my system, it's results, or dealing with Vivint Solar. I highly recommend going Solar for all homeowners that can, and I highly recommend going Solar with Vivint Solar. I have been saving money and helping the environment. Vivint did a great job installing the system and are a pleasure to work with.

Charlie Tyros

May 17th, 2016 Chelmsford, MA

We have now had our Vivint Solar Panels for two winters and pleased to report zero issues. The entire process from Sales, Installation, Billing and Service have all proven seem less and completely trouble free. We continue to be highly impressed with the process and recommend the system.

David O'Brien

May 16th, 2016 Methuen, MA

All good.

Kathy Reed

May 16th, 2016 Honolulu, HI

Vivint has given me a way to afford solar without paying upfront or taking out a loan. My electric bill is pretty low now, just depends on how much the power goes over or under my electric usage. My whole bill is lower however than if I was to have all electric. I do think they could have added more panels to keep my bill down even further, but there was never much clarity on that.

Berkis Fuentes

May 16th, 2016 Lawrence, MA

My salesperson Luis was helpfull and very polite

Art Kosiorek

May 16th, 2016 Methuen, MA

Every thing that we've had to deak with Vivint Solar company as been aboveboard and we have no complaint at all. From the salesperson to the installers to the support personnel, I have found everyone to be courteous and helpful, I would recommend Vivint for solar panels to anyone and I have.

Joseph Ambrose

May 16th, 2016 Amityville, NY

From Beginning to end, Signing the contract, to Installation, test, and final inspection, Vivint Solar has been outstanding! The permitting process was painless. Because I didn't have to do it! All I was asked to do was go to the town hall and make an appointment with the building inspector. That was it. I really LIKE getting my electric bills from the GRID now….. Thank you Vivint.

P Karounos

May 16th, 2016 Bronx, NY

At first i knew nothing about Vivint Solar until someone told me about their PPA program. I looked into it, a Solar energy consultant came by and explained the program. This is fantastic! I paid nothing for the system, im not responsible for insurance, taxes and warranties and just pay for the power they produce!!!! It took a little while to go active (total about 5 months) but the savings are amazing ! Last year i paid National Grid $358 in April and this year April I got an $18 bill !! I paid Vivint $124. Savings of over $200 for my home!!!! Next few months im expecting $0 bills from NG and credits to use in the future! Best part? No lean on my home as i checked with my mortgage company. :). Totally recommend Vivint. Thanks guys for helping go green and save money too. Peter from Lynn/Swampscott area

Mike

May 16th, 2016 Fresno, CA

System works great! I have seen awesome savings. The install crew was professional and clean

Willie Gann

May 16th, 2016 Waianae, HI

Vivint Solar Just Plain SUCKS. Aw, it started like a fairy tail but has ended up like a night mare. Do not engage these people. I was assured that Vivint Solar would be my only electric co for the next 20 years. For about 18 months they were. Then Hawaiian Electric Co began billing me beyond the net meter monthly fee. Now it has progressed to where I nearly pay each company an equal amount each month. I have called but was told that I was using electricity beyond what my panels produce. I have 28 panels and was assured these panels were more that able to meet my needs. I am actually paying what I paid before Vivint Solar ever came into my life. Hawaiian Electric has been ripping off the people of Hawaii for years. Now we have Vivint Solar doing it. Oh the sales people will promise you the moon and beyond. They are liars. DO NOT GO WITH VIVINT SOLAR. My wife wants me to contact the BBB and the Hawaii State Attorney General and the UTAH State Attorney General. If you think I am pissed you may be correct. Dealing with a company in UTAH and not in your state is a great weight to drag about. I should have known better.

John Valenia

May 16th, 2016 Carteret, NJ

I see no saving$$$$ very dangerous when ice falls off panels

Enrique Sallent

May 16th, 2016 Jersey City, NJ

Great product!! Everybody should have their service! And great customer service too!

carlos Mesa

May 16th, 2016 North Andover, MA

my salesman Luis Galvez took his time to explain the whole process, so far very happy with my system

Don

May 16th, 2016 Winnetka, CA

You wont find a team or professionals who care more about their clients than the folks at Vivint Solar. The consultant begins the process in educating you about solar, and making sure your home and usage will qualify for the program. Followed by a expert technician taking a look at the structure, electrical service, condition & Type of Roof, and verifying the internet connection. Once all property conditions are confirmed a Solar design is created. Once we approved the design, and a permit was issued. The installation crew arrived. Installation was complete in half a day. The property was left clean. No issues, no complaints. Great experience.

Kym Petronio

May 16th, 2016 Gaithersburg, MD

Took time to get us up and running but that is not Vivint's issue. During installation of our panels, there was a small issue in our house and it was corrected immediately. We contacted a contractor, our rep brought us a check to cover the problem, and all taken care of. Our rep has stopped by to check in several times. We are very pleased with the savings from Vivint and we recommend this company to all! Do you research and understand solar before you sign on with any company. This program was the best for our home but may not be the best for yours.

Steve

May 13th, 2016 Hopedale, MA

These sales people are misleading, high pressure and are out right liars. People are getting burned with leasing terms when it comes selling or refinancing and home selling. Companies like this capitalize on all the benefits of going solar while just throwing the consumer a small carrot. Not the way to go, plus they can change terms. If you go solar; Own the panels!!! Get the federal tax credit and state! Most important, get the SREC! The state of Mass will be taking a look at the this company and others are screwing consumers!

Theodore Hock

May 13th, 2016 Deer Park, NY

Promised 80% delivered 20%. Don't return calls. Would not recommend. Find another company.

Nicholas Anthony Sr.

May 13th, 2016 Bay Shore, NY

They under powered my system, while EXACT same house on my block received more than 12 extra panels. Asked to review and change, and they refused. Spoke to other companies in stores, who said that they would have upgraded, if deemed to small. Vivint and my Rep, will not. Not happy with company. Should have chose other

Kim Coyne

May 13th, 2016 Fitchburg, MA

We've been hooked up since Jan 15.... nothing but savings !!! Love Vivint Solar. Everything has gone very smooth. Took a little bit of time to get connected to the grid, but now that we are, its all savings!

Jeanne Fernandes

May 12th, 2016 Wareham, MA

We had an electrical problem and even though it turned out not to be a Vivint issue the support team of electricians and our service rep DJ were wonderful. Prompt, knowledgeable and diligent until the problem was solved. Service above and beyond!

Adam Warren

May 10th, 2016 Cranston, RI

DJ Makens was very knowledgeable, helpful, and approachable. He was involved every step of the way, even post installation to make sure everything works and that the first bill makes sense. The whole process was pretty easy and didn't take much of my time.

Anthony B

May 6th, 2016 East Hartford, CT

HAD A REP SHOW UP WHILE ME AND MY STEP FATHER WERE AT WORK ONLY MY MOTHER WAS HOME HE CAME IN AND WENT FROM TOP TO BOTTOM IN THE HOUSE AND TOOK PICTURES WHAT THE HELL!!! I CALLED JEFF AND COMPLAINED AND TOLD HIM I WANT PICTURES DELETED ASAP AND WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING TAKING PICTURES OF MY COMPUTER AND ROUTER I AS SOOOOOO FUCKING PISSED I CANT WAIT FOR CONTRACT TO END THIS IS DISCUSTING HE SPENT 30 MIN IN THE BASEMENT WHY ?????? AND WALKED ALL AROUND IN THE ATTIC WHY????? I WILL NEVER LET ANY ONE OF THEM GUYS IN MY HOUSE EVER AGAIN I AM ALSO CALLING THE POLICE ABOUT THE FACT HE TOOK PICTURES OF THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSE

Virginia Michaud

May 6th, 2016 Westford, MA

I've had a great experience so far! My consultant, Hilary Anderson, did a through job explaining Vivint Solar! Vivint lines up all of the workers to install the panels, and gets the town permit- All at NO cost to me!

Robert Brown

May 5th, 2016 Olney, MD

It has been 8 months since my solar panels were installed but system has not been activated yet! Montgomery County permit authorities say Vivint's installation does not meet County code requirements and must make corrections. Vivint has not done so. Customer service is poor, offering only email apologies but no action.

Eric Stansfield

May 5th, 2016 Lowell, MA

Seamless and easy to understand.

Kristen lyons

May 5th, 2016 Chelmsford, MA

Hilary was extremely knowledgable and made the whole process really simple. I highly recommend working with her.

Sandy Pirello

May 5th, 2016 Lowell, MA

Vivint Solar was an absolute pleasure to deal with from start to finis. Not having to spend 1 penny and saving a ton of money was the best part. Every person I have dealt with at the company has been great too, especially Hilary Anderson, she was the best!

Gail Perreault

May 5th, 2016 Lowell, MA

We were very happy with our support from Hillary Anderson . She was always available to help us with any questions , and in a timely manner, with the beginning process of our installation and still is. We are happy with our decision to have vivint solar panels for our energy.

Zach Neideraurer

May 5th, 2016 Baltimore, MD

I have nothing but high praises for Vivint Solar. We have solar on our homes and it is saving us tons of money. I am thankful that there are companies like this in the world which are helping the environment by providing a service to home owners. We priced out buying a solar system and it just did not make sense. We would not see savings for years and with Vivints PPA. We saw savings from the first month of it being turned on. The guy who claimed Vivint is charging more than BGE sadly does not understand how solar works. Vivints PPA price is 10.5 cents flat. There are no delivery fees like BGE chargers. All those fees added up to us paying close to 16 cents per Kwh. Today we pay 10.5. Whats not to like about saving a ton of money and causing less pollution? The only problem is it takes a long time to get qualified and installed. I was explained this up front so I was prepared. I can understand that is not Vivint's fault. They have to work with a lot of government red tape. So be patient and understanding when they tell you it could take 6 months. But once the day of installation comes, the systems are installed in 1 day. Vivint is like a well oiled solar machine. Help the environment, save money on my bills, be a good example for my children about how I care about the world. Its a no brainer. Why spend extra more money to buy dirty power? The choices we make today effect our children and our grand children. I am so thankful that our home now has solar on it. The kids are so thrilled too.

Jennifer Costa

May 5th, 2016 Boston, MA

Hilary Anderson is wonderful to work with. She is always very prompt with answering any questions. She truely cares about her customers, referring to them as her "family". I have had my panels up for a little over a year now, and it's been more than a year since I've paid any money to National Grid! The savings are incredible!

Janet Salter

May 5th, 2016 Gardner, MA

Hillary Anderson has provided us with excellent customer service.

CSF

May 5th, 2016 Billerica, MA

Excellent customer service!

Bridget

May 5th, 2016 Billerica, MA

Awesome! We saved $400 last year!!!

Alexis Beauchesne

May 5th, 2016 Dracut, MA

Hilary was great and got everything we needed to go solar like she said she would! She was very efficient and always courteous when we spoke. If she didn't know the answer she would find out for us super quickly. She is the reason we chose Vivint and not another solar company!

Michael Anthony

May 5th, 2016 Princeton, MA

Vivint Solar was tops in getting us into solar energy at home. Hilary our rep took care of everything from top to bottom and helped us choose the value of Viviint over competitors we talked to. She is always available for any follow up even though we are up and running and watching my electric bill drop!