Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar energy systems.

The company is one of the most talked about solar panel installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

Go Directly to Vivint Smart Home Customer Reviews

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Warranty Coverage
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, solar loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the solar PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to utilize alternative energy and save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Warranty Coverage

Vivint Solar offers a number of warranties for customers who select a solar purchase or a solar loan. For example, the solar installer offers a workmanship warranty that guarantees its work will be free from material defects for 10 years.

In addition, each solar panel system's panels carry a 25-year linear performance warranty, and inverters carry minimum 10-year manufacturers' warranties.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract with the solar company: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels to their new roof at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint salesperson about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in all 50 states, as well as in Washington D.C. and the Virgin Islands.

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power and clean energy with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPA typically requires customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get their solar system running after the installation was complete.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality customer service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

3.2

P Karounos

May 16th, 2016 Bronx, NY

At first i knew nothing about Vivint Solar until someone told me about their PPA program. I looked into it, a Solar energy consultant came by and explained the program. This is fantastic! I paid nothing for the system, im not responsible for insurance, taxes and warranties and just pay for the power they produce!!!! It took a little while to go active (total about 5 months) but the savings are amazing ! Last year i paid National Grid $358 in April and this year April I got an $18 bill !! I paid Vivint $124. Savings of over $200 for my home!!!! Next few months im expecting $0 bills from NG and credits to use in the future! Best part? No lean on my home as i checked with my mortgage company. :). Totally recommend Vivint. Thanks guys for helping go green and save money too. Peter from Lynn/Swampscott area

michael

May 16th, 2016 Fresno, CA

System works great! I have seen awesome savings. The install crew was professional and clean

Willie Gann

May 16th, 2016 Waianae, HI

Vivint Solar Just Plain SUCKS. Aw, it started like a fairy tail but has ended up like a night mare. Do not engage these people. I was assured that Vivint Solar would be my only electric co for the next 20 years. For about 18 months they were. Then Hawaiian Electric Co began billing me beyond the net meter monthly fee. Now it has progressed to where I nearly pay each company an equal amount each month. I have called but was told that I was using electricity beyond what my panels produce. I have 28 panels and was assured these panels were more that able to meet my needs. I am actually paying what I paid before Vivint Solar ever came into my life. Hawaiian Electric has been ripping off the people of Hawaii for years. Now we have Vivint Solar doing it. Oh the sales people will promise you the moon and beyond. They are liars. DO NOT GO WITH VIVINT SOLAR. My wife wants me to contact the BBB and the Hawaii State Attorney General and the UTAH State Attorney General. If you think I am pissed you may be correct. Dealing with a company in UTAH and not in your state is a great weight to drag about. I should have known better.

John Valenia

May 16th, 2016 Carteret, NJ

I see no saving$$$$ very dangerous when ice falls off panels

Enrique Sallent

May 16th, 2016 Jersey City, NJ

Great product!! Everybody should have their service! And great customer service too!

carlos Mesa

May 16th, 2016 North Andover, MA

my salesman Luis Galvez took his time to explain the whole process, so far very happy with my system

Don

May 16th, 2016 Winnetka, CA

You wont find a team or professionals who care more about their clients than the folks at Vivint Solar. The consultant begins the process in educating you about solar, and making sure your home and usage will qualify for the program. Followed by a expert technician taking a look at the structure, electrical service, condition & Type of Roof, and verifying the internet connection. Once all property conditions are confirmed a Solar design is created. Once we approved the design, and a permit was issued. The installation crew arrived. Installation was complete in half a day. The property was left clean. No issues, no complaints. Great experience.

Kym Petronio

May 16th, 2016 Gaithersburg, MD

Took time to get us up and running but that is not Vivint's issue. During installation of our panels, there was a small issue in our house and it was corrected immediately. We contacted a contractor, our rep brought us a check to cover the problem, and all taken care of. Our rep has stopped by to check in several times. We are very pleased with the savings from Vivint and we recommend this company to all! Do you research and understand solar before you sign on with any company. This program was the best for our home but may not be the best for yours.

Steve

May 13th, 2016 Hopedale, MA

These sales people are misleading, high pressure and are out right liars. People are getting burned with leasing terms when it comes selling or refinancing and home selling. Companies like this capitalize on all the benefits of going solar while just throwing the consumer a small carrot. Not the way to go, plus they can change terms. If you go solar; Own the panels!!! Get the federal tax credit and state! Most important, get the SREC! The state of Mass will be taking a look at the this company and others are screwing consumers!

[email protected]

May 13th, 2016 Deer Park, NY

Promised 80% delivered 20%. Don't return calls. Would not recommend. Find another company.

Nicholas Anthony Sr.

May 13th, 2016 Bay Shore, NY

They under powered my system, while EXACT same house on my block received more than 12 extra panels. Asked to review and change, and they refused. Spoke to other companies in stores, who said that they would have upgraded, if deemed to small. Vivint and my Rep, will not. Not happy with company. Should have chose other

Kim Coyne

May 13th, 2016 Fitchburg, MA

We've been hooked up since Jan 15.... nothing but savings !!! Love Vivint Solar. Everything has gone very smooth. Took a little bit of time to get connected to the grid, but now that we are, its all savings!

Jeanne Fernandes

May 12th, 2016 Wareham, MA

We had an electrical problem and even though it turned out not to be a Vivint issue the support team of electricians and our service rep DJ were wonderful. Prompt, knowledgeable and diligent until the problem was solved. Service above and beyond!

Adam Warren

May 10th, 2016 Cranston, RI

DJ Makens was very knowledgeable, helpful, and approachable. He was involved every step of the way, even post installation to make sure everything works and that the first bill makes sense. The whole process was pretty easy and didn't take much of my time.

Anthony B

May 6th, 2016 East Hartford, CT

HAD A REP SHOW UP WHILE ME AND MY STEP FATHER WERE AT WORK ONLY MY MOTHER WAS HOME HE CAME IN AND WENT FROM TOP TO BOTTOM IN THE HOUSE AND TOOK PICTURES WHAT THE HELL!!! I CALLED JEFF AND COMPLAINED AND TOLD HIM I WANT PICTURES DELETED ASAP AND WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING TAKING PICTURES OF MY COMPUTER AND ROUTER I AS SOOOOOO FUCKING PISSED I CANT WAIT FOR CONTRACT TO END THIS IS DISCUSTING HE SPENT 30 MIN IN THE BASEMENT WHY ?????? AND WALKED ALL AROUND IN THE ATTIC WHY????? I WILL NEVER LET ANY ONE OF THEM GUYS IN MY HOUSE EVER AGAIN I AM ALSO CALLING THE POLICE ABOUT THE FACT HE TOOK PICTURES OF THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSE

Virginia Michaud

May 6th, 2016 Westford, MA

I've had a great experience so far! My consultant, Hilary Anderson, did a through job explaining Vivint Solar! Vivint lines up all of the workers to install the panels, and gets the town permit- All at NO cost to me!

Robert Brown

May 5th, 2016 Olney, MD

It has been 8 months since my solar panels were installed but system has not been activated yet! Montgomery County permit authorities say Vivint's installation does not meet County code requirements and must make corrections. Vivint has not done so. Customer service is poor, offering only email apologies but no action.

Eric Stansfield

May 5th, 2016 Lowell, MA

Seamless and easy to understand.

Kristen lyons

May 5th, 2016 Chelmsford, MA

Hilary was extremely knowledgable and made the whole process really simple. I highly recommend working with her.

Sandy Pirello

May 5th, 2016 Lowell, MA

Vivint Solar was an absolute pleasure to deal with from start to finis. Not having to spend 1 penny and saving a ton of money was the best part. Every person I have dealt with at the company has been great too, especially Hilary Anderson, she was the best!

Gail Perreault

May 5th, 2016 Lowell, MA

We were very happy with our support from Hillary Anderson . She was always available to help us with any questions , and in a timely manner, with the beginning process of our installation and still is. We are happy with our decision to have vivint solar panels for our energy.

Zach Neideraurer

May 5th, 2016 Baltimore, MD

I have nothing but high praises for Vivint Solar. We have solar on our homes and it is saving us tons of money. I am thankful that there are companies like this in the world which are helping the environment by providing a service to home owners. We priced out buying a solar system and it just did not make sense. We would not see savings for years and with Vivints PPA. We saw savings from the first month of it being turned on. The guy who claimed Vivint is charging more than BGE sadly does not understand how solar works. Vivints PPA price is 10.5 cents flat. There are no delivery fees like BGE chargers. All those fees added up to us paying close to 16 cents per Kwh. Today we pay 10.5. Whats not to like about saving a ton of money and causing less pollution? The only problem is it takes a long time to get qualified and installed. I was explained this up front so I was prepared. I can understand that is not Vivint's fault. They have to work with a lot of government red tape. So be patient and understanding when they tell you it could take 6 months. But once the day of installation comes, the systems are installed in 1 day. Vivint is like a well oiled solar machine. Help the environment, save money on my bills, be a good example for my children about how I care about the world. Its a no brainer. Why spend extra more money to buy dirty power? The choices we make today effect our children and our grand children. I am so thankful that our home now has solar on it. The kids are so thrilled too.

Jennifer Costa

May 5th, 2016 Boston, MA

Hilary Anderson is wonderful to work with. She is always very prompt with answering any questions. She truely cares about her customers, referring to them as her "family". I have had my panels up for a little over a year now, and it's been more than a year since I've paid any money to National Grid! The savings are incredible!

Janet Salter

May 5th, 2016 Gardner, MA

Hillary Anderson has provided us with excellent customer service.

CSF

May 5th, 2016 Billerica, MA

Excellent customer service!

Bridget

May 5th, 2016 Billerica, MA

Awesome! We saved $400 last year!!!

Alexis Beauchesne

May 5th, 2016 Dracut, MA

Hilary was great and got everything we needed to go solar like she said she would! She was very efficient and always courteous when we spoke. If she didn't know the answer she would find out for us super quickly. She is the reason we chose Vivint and not another solar company!

Michael Anthony

May 5th, 2016 Princeton, MA

Vivint Solar was tops in getting us into solar energy at home. Hilary our rep took care of everything from top to bottom and helped us choose the value of Viviint over competitors we talked to. She is always available for any follow up even though we are up and running and watching my electric bill drop!

Dave Langan

May 5th, 2016 Lowell, MA

Billing was fine in 2015.Now bill just shows amount due but does not show rate or Kwh produced.

Ted reardon

May 5th, 2016 Auburn, MA

Everything was explained in easy to understand terms

john leonhart

May 5th, 2016 Laurel, MD

the whole process was simple, they jumped through all the government hoops , and hoa applications. Saving around 25% each month. Kept in the loop, and all questions ever posed are answered quickly and professionally.

Eric Corwin

April 27th, 2016 Essex, MA

A person stopped by my house and made me aware of the program. He was very professional and explained all of the aspects clearly. It is now 4 months later and my system is up and running great. I have recommended Vivint to many of my friends and neighbors. I am very happy. Thank you.

Elizabeth Recinos

April 13th, 2016 Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I've have nothing but issues with vivint solar. I am paying almost double the amount I was paying with my utility carrier and only generating about a $3 credit. There's a discrepancy of energy that seema to be missing every month that i pay for. I've been calling vivint solar for four months now and they have done nothing for me but take my money. I wish I hadn't believed all the lies told to me before I signed the contract.

Jackie Bazzinotti

April 4th, 2016 Rockland, MA

I can easily say that Vivant Solar has saved me $3600/year and that's a low estimate. Thank you Vivant?. And I thank James for being my sales rep. He is not only knowledgeable and professional he's also very personable and allowed me to break down my fear about solar panels. So thank you from the bottom of my heart?

Ben Brenner

April 1st, 2016 Oyster Bay, NY

Ok, this is going to be a little long, so bare with me. But to start with the conclusion: Do not use this company for solar. My Salesmen Brett G. told me I could save 50% of the cost of my electric generated from solar and that the system they would install on my roof would generate 50% of my total electric (total annual savings = approx. 25%; generating half my electricity at half cost). That is almost verbatim the pitch given to me. Unfortunately, this company appears to specialize in bait & switch. The savings are nowhere near 25%. In fact it is closer to 10% or less. When I discovered and brought up this huge discrepency and that the numbers weren't adding up to Brett G. he told me "well you are getting a tax credit from NY State and that is calculated in the savings". First off, no, it was never explained that a tax credit made up the majority of the savings, & 2nd, nobody decides & imposes what I use my tax credits for. So, that was as far as I got with Brett. On to his boss. Next I spoke to Brett's boss, Dusty B. He was pleasant at first and listened to me, but was basically a company man and gave me the "my hands are tied" line. I was clear with him that I was not asking for anything special or extra; just what I was told I could save! He confirmed with me that tax credits are NOT included in savings estimates and that it was improper for my salesmen Brett to state it was and that he would be "disciplined". I told him I did not want him disciplined, again I just what I was told I would save. When i asked for his Boss' contact info he started getting short with me. He had other meetings and rushed me off the phone. Plus he refused to supply his Boss' contact info. Instead I had to go through "corporate". He even intimated that Vivint could bring legal action against me because I turned my system off until this discrepancy is resolved. He also said I would not find anywhere in the contract the 25% annual savings that the Vivint representatives used to lure in customers. That number was however in a customized booklet showing the savings Vivint can offer; a booklet that my salesman took with him after the meeting and would not supply back to me when I asked. Strange considering that everything that I get from Vivint is in digital format. They force you to sign & initial iPads and post all documents online. Neither Brett nor Dusty had or could/would reproduce this booklet showing that number and the fact that Dusty brought up their legal position unprovoked gave me a strong feeling that many other Vivint customers have or are currently caught up in Vivint's web of misrepresentations/bait & switch tactics. The last straw was when I told Dusty I had an email from Brett stating he did indeed use a tax credit to calculate the savings and that it equated to approx. 11 cents a Kwh for the 25% savings (Vivint is charging 15 cents a kwh) PSEG charged me the equivalent of 16 cents a KW hour last month (Brett told me the average was 20 cent a kwh, when it is closer 18 cents; again confirmed by Dusty. Brett inflated that avg. cost thus inflating the "savings". Another misrepresentation). Dusty said "Well, you are still saving money"! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Thats tantamount to a hotel saying pay half price for a $500 hotel room and when you get their they charge you $450 and justify it by saying "well, you're still saving money"? Nonsense. Basically, this is Vivint's position: we knowingly duped you by inflating savings we can't deliver & calculated tax credits into the savings your salesmen should not have, but you are still saving money (nowhere near the % we said you would), and after all of this, we aren't going to do a dam thing for you to make it right. In fact, we might even sue YOU (me). So it's on to Dusty's boss: VP Jeremy L. I'll update this post if there is anything to report, but judging from my experience with Vivint thus far, I don't expect much. They have their scheme down. I don't see how a company that operates like this stays in business very long. So once again, do not use this company unless you want to be in the same position I am. I suggest you get quotes from multiple installers/engineers before deciding. Its a shame, because its stuff like this that turn people off to alternative energy.

Hugh Beagan

March 31st, 2016 Randolph, MA

Everyone I have dealt with at Vivant so far has been knowledgeable and forthright. The PPA plan made the best fit for me as I am a retiree on fixed income. The System went up in 4 hours, if only my local town inspector and Natonal Grid could be as respond as fast!

Bryant

March 28th, 2016 Wallingford, CT

Very easy to work with showed up on time got the work done in a half of day cleaned everything up like they where never here. Would definitely recommend to somebody else.

Kevin Mendelson

March 23rd, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

My wife posted this earlier on the Vivint site and it was taken down within 30 minutes. That has to tell you something.... Do not be fooled by the estimates Vivint offers on the potential savings you might see. They are vastly inflated and a misrepresentation to get the sale. We were promised 20-40% savings. We live in sunny southern CA so weren't worried about getting the sunlight. We are barely saving a couple of dollars a month and got a SURPRISE bill from the power company at the end of the year for over $400. (also no explanation from Vivint on that process). Customer service has been AWFUL, took them a month to figure out the totals, offered no compensation, no empathy, no apology, no shortening of our contract, no opportunity to speak to a supervisor...only the "solution" to put MORE panels on my home so that they could make MORE money off of my property. They are not concerned with the environment or my satisfaction. They are only concerned with how much money they can make off of us. Straightforward, disheartening corporate greed. I have been, and continue to be, terribly disappointed with both the reality of what I am stuck with and the most horrible customer service that we have ever experienced.

Jorge Torres

March 21st, 2016 Hamden, CT

We have saved a lot of money and concerning I am retired it allows us to stay on budget.

Deb Becker

March 21st, 2016 Albany, NY

A twenty year lease is too long. They have saved me very little, as was promised. I live alone and have far too many panels for my usage. Told me to get two electric space heaters for winter to stay warm, glad I did not their "Bank" as they like to call it died after two months and still paying my usual Electric Supplier the same amount I did last year. A nightmare from the start. Oh dear, why did I let that salesman in????

MaryAnn

March 21st, 2016 Miller Place, NY

Vivint is the worst company I ever had the misfortune of dealing with. The sales representives were wonderful, the installers were wonderful. The whole process from start to finish took a year. I thought it was worth the weight untill billing started. Never received a bill for months called them they had all the wrong accounts and information. Caught up on everything owed. However account information was never resolved for another six months. All they know how to do is withdraw illegally directly threw your checking account double dipping at least twice a month causing your checks to bounce. They have repeatedly done this with no regard to their errors or compensation for the errors they caused. Finally had to make an account just for them and check daily for an invoice which was another ordeal as the company refused to send one informing us how much we owed monthly. But higher management said this is illegal and they will not send paper trails but will post an invoice once a month, So just when we thought we had the money transfers under control we find out we owe 1 cent for the past month and that Vivint with no warner or reason shut the panels off. My husband called feeling we've been insulted and abused beyond words asked them to take the panels down that we have had enough and they treaten us with breech of contract. Vivint breeched the contract by billing the wrong account, using the wrong e-mail addresses when given proper spellings numerous times, going into accounts and taking money when bills were already paid, using debit card numbers to withdraw money from accounts when they were instructed for a one time payment and finally lastly trying to remove the penny balance in the account I only deposit vivint money in. My husband is 70 years old and has had diarrhea almost every week dealing with them his blood pressure is sky high. You ask to speak with management supervisors no one in the company knows what the next is doing. They don'd know who in the company they should call to resolve the problems. It's one big nightmare. To those people I recommended I am truly sorry.

Julie H

March 21st, 2016 San Jose, CA

After having the panels installed in October of 2105 and multiple delays and emails and the last one 1 month stating that they were not installed to code, I requested them to be removed and all damages to my home be fixed by them. Do Not Use they,

leo

March 21st, 2016 Honolulu, HI

its been almost 2 years ,and their system is not running! vivint said that once the installation is done it would take a month to get the system connected to the grid, we are still waiting still today 3/7/2016,installed on 7/7/2014. poor customer service, they tried to blame us for their system is not up and running they even tried to forge my signature on a third party inspection form, and have the nerve to tell me that it is our fault that the NEM will be expired. do not go with Vivint Solar! bunch of liars

John Smith

March 21st, 2016 Wayne, NJ

My house roof has been leaking for over two months and no one has came out to fix it.

Ruth Broder

February 23rd, 2016 Bridgeport, CT

Vivint installed the panels on my roof after selling me on the fact that I would not have to pay for this system but the electricity would be given to United Illuminating, the electric company I deal with. After almost five months, this system is not up and running and when I have been given a date of inspection, Vivint stated that because of back up, it would now be delayed but given no date of when.....

ROBERT NAHRWOLD

February 4th, 2016 Clifton, NJ

vivint solar, let's see, I had an appointment August 28 of 2015, and I am online as of yesterday, February 3, 2016. After researching the company for over three years, I decided to go with them for many different reasons. One reason everything was explained to me step by step, they also told me at the time of the appointment. It could be 6 to 7 months. This is because there's a lot of paperwork involved permits to obtain to be signed and finalized by many different organizations that are involved I am completely satisfied with vivint solar and will recommend it to my friends whenever I need to contact the company with a question my representative is always there to answer.

Roger B

February 4th, 2016 CA

Really have seen the savings start to come through after a successful install over the last few weeks. I've appreciated how professional Vibnt Solar's been through the whole process

Benjamin Silva

January 25th, 2016 Marshfield, MA

It took Vivint seven months to finally get me on line and running. They installed the panels in July of 2015 and as of January 20th 2016 I was still not receiving any solar energy.

Silvia Astorga Salcido

January 7th, 2016 Fresno, CA

If you're one of those individuals who like to conduct business with companies who have their act together on their Web Sites, then don't do business with Vivint. I regret signing up for solar with this company for this issue alone. Their website has never worked since I signed on. You can't get invoices, documents, or other needed information in an efficient manner. Even despite complaints, they have not fixed their web-site. As far as savings, when I signed up, they promised me a 50% savings on my PGE... Well, if truth be told, I'm lucky if I'm actually saving 20%. Do yourselves a favor and do some hard nosed shopping, comparisons, etc. before you do business with Vivint.

Paul L. Nevins

January 4th, 2016 Roslindale, MA

Caveat emptor. Viviint Solar should be avoided at all costs. Its customer service sand responsiveness to legitimate consumer concerns about improper installation are abysmal.