Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
#2 Zenernet chevron_right
#3 Sunrun chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.0

Dave Langan

May 5th, 2016 Lowell, MA

Billing was fine in 2015.Now bill just shows amount due but does not show rate or Kwh produced.

Ted reardon

May 5th, 2016 Auburn, MA

Everything was explained in easy to understand terms

john leonhart

May 5th, 2016 Laurel, MD

the whole process was simple, they jumped through all the government hoops , and hoa applications. Saving around 25% each month. Kept in the loop, and all questions ever posed are answered quickly and professionally.

Eric Corwin

April 27th, 2016 Essex, MA

A person stopped by my house and made me aware of the program. He was very professional and explained all of the aspects clearly. It is now 4 months later and my system is up and running great. I have recommended Vivint to many of my friends and neighbors. I am very happy. Thank you.

Elizabeth Recinos

April 13th, 2016 Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I've have nothing but issues with vivint solar. I am paying almost double the amount I was paying with my utility carrier and only generating about a $3 credit. There's a discrepancy of energy that seema to be missing every month that i pay for. I've been calling vivint solar for four months now and they have done nothing for me but take my money. I wish I hadn't believed all the lies told to me before I signed the contract.

Jackie Bazzinotti

April 4th, 2016 Rockland, MA

I can easily say that Vivant Solar has saved me $3600/year and that's a low estimate. Thank you Vivant?. And I thank James for being my sales rep. He is not only knowledgeable and professional he's also very personable and allowed me to break down my fear about solar panels. So thank you from the bottom of my heart?

Ben Brenner

April 1st, 2016 Oyster Bay, NY

Ok, this is going to be a little long, so bare with me. But to start with the conclusion: Do not use this company for solar. My Salesmen Brett G. told me I could save 50% of the cost of my electric generated from solar and that the system they would install on my roof would generate 50% of my total electric (total annual savings = approx. 25%; generating half my electricity at half cost). That is almost verbatim the pitch given to me. Unfortunately, this company appears to specialize in bait & switch. The savings are nowhere near 25%. In fact it is closer to 10% or less. When I discovered and brought up this huge discrepency and that the numbers weren't adding up to Brett G. he told me "well you are getting a tax credit from NY State and that is calculated in the savings". First off, no, it was never explained that a tax credit made up the majority of the savings, & 2nd, nobody decides & imposes what I use my tax credits for. So, that was as far as I got with Brett. On to his boss. Next I spoke to Brett's boss, Dusty B. He was pleasant at first and listened to me, but was basically a company man and gave me the "my hands are tied" line. I was clear with him that I was not asking for anything special or extra; just what I was told I could save! He confirmed with me that tax credits are NOT included in savings estimates and that it was improper for my salesmen Brett to state it was and that he would be "disciplined". I told him I did not want him disciplined, again I just what I was told I would save. When i asked for his Boss' contact info he started getting short with me. He had other meetings and rushed me off the phone. Plus he refused to supply his Boss' contact info. Instead I had to go through "corporate". He even intimated that Vivint could bring legal action against me because I turned my system off until this discrepancy is resolved. He also said I would not find anywhere in the contract the 25% annual savings that the Vivint representatives used to lure in customers. That number was however in a customized booklet showing the savings Vivint can offer; a booklet that my salesman took with him after the meeting and would not supply back to me when I asked. Strange considering that everything that I get from Vivint is in digital format. They force you to sign & initial iPads and post all documents online. Neither Brett nor Dusty had or could/would reproduce this booklet showing that number and the fact that Dusty brought up their legal position unprovoked gave me a strong feeling that many other Vivint customers have or are currently caught up in Vivint's web of misrepresentations/bait & switch tactics. The last straw was when I told Dusty I had an email from Brett stating he did indeed use a tax credit to calculate the savings and that it equated to approx. 11 cents a Kwh for the 25% savings (Vivint is charging 15 cents a kwh) PSEG charged me the equivalent of 16 cents a KW hour last month (Brett told me the average was 20 cent a kwh, when it is closer 18 cents; again confirmed by Dusty. Brett inflated that avg. cost thus inflating the "savings". Another misrepresentation). Dusty said "Well, you are still saving money"! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Thats tantamount to a hotel saying pay half price for a $500 hotel room and when you get their they charge you $450 and justify it by saying "well, you're still saving money"? Nonsense. Basically, this is Vivint's position: we knowingly duped you by inflating savings we can't deliver & calculated tax credits into the savings your salesmen should not have, but you are still saving money (nowhere near the % we said you would), and after all of this, we aren't going to do a dam thing for you to make it right. In fact, we might even sue YOU (me). So it's on to Dusty's boss: VP Jeremy L. I'll update this post if there is anything to report, but judging from my experience with Vivint thus far, I don't expect much. They have their scheme down. I don't see how a company that operates like this stays in business very long. So once again, do not use this company unless you want to be in the same position I am. I suggest you get quotes from multiple installers/engineers before deciding. Its a shame, because its stuff like this that turn people off to alternative energy.

Hugh Beagan

March 31st, 2016 Randolph, MA

Everyone I have dealt with at Vivant so far has been knowledgeable and forthright. The PPA plan made the best fit for me as I am a retiree on fixed income. The System went up in 4 hours, if only my local town inspector and Natonal Grid could be as respond as fast!

Bryant

March 28th, 2016 Wallingford, CT

Very easy to work with showed up on time got the work done in a half of day cleaned everything up like they where never here. Would definitely recommend to somebody else.

Kevin Mendelson

March 23rd, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

My wife posted this earlier on the Vivint site and it was taken down within 30 minutes. That has to tell you something.... Do not be fooled by the estimates Vivint offers on the potential savings you might see. They are vastly inflated and a misrepresentation to get the sale. We were promised 20-40% savings. We live in sunny southern CA so weren't worried about getting the sunlight. We are barely saving a couple of dollars a month and got a SURPRISE bill from the power company at the end of the year for over $400. (also no explanation from Vivint on that process). Customer service has been AWFUL, took them a month to figure out the totals, offered no compensation, no empathy, no apology, no shortening of our contract, no opportunity to speak to a supervisor...only the "solution" to put MORE panels on my home so that they could make MORE money off of my property. They are not concerned with the environment or my satisfaction. They are only concerned with how much money they can make off of us. Straightforward, disheartening corporate greed. I have been, and continue to be, terribly disappointed with both the reality of what I am stuck with and the most horrible customer service that we have ever experienced.

Jorge Torres

March 21st, 2016 Hamden, CT

We have saved a lot of money and concerning I am retired it allows us to stay on budget.

Deb Becker

March 21st, 2016 Albany, NY

A twenty year lease is too long. They have saved me very little, as was promised. I live alone and have far too many panels for my usage. Told me to get two electric space heaters for winter to stay warm, glad I did not their "Bank" as they like to call it died after two months and still paying my usual Electric Supplier the same amount I did last year. A nightmare from the start. Oh dear, why did I let that salesman in????

MaryAnn

March 21st, 2016 Miller Place, NY

Vivint is the worst company I ever had the misfortune of dealing with. The sales representives were wonderful, the installers were wonderful. The whole process from start to finish took a year. I thought it was worth the weight untill billing started. Never received a bill for months called them they had all the wrong accounts and information. Caught up on everything owed. However account information was never resolved for another six months. All they know how to do is withdraw illegally directly threw your checking account double dipping at least twice a month causing your checks to bounce. They have repeatedly done this with no regard to their errors or compensation for the errors they caused. Finally had to make an account just for them and check daily for an invoice which was another ordeal as the company refused to send one informing us how much we owed monthly. But higher management said this is illegal and they will not send paper trails but will post an invoice once a month, So just when we thought we had the money transfers under control we find out we owe 1 cent for the past month and that Vivint with no warner or reason shut the panels off. My husband called feeling we've been insulted and abused beyond words asked them to take the panels down that we have had enough and they treaten us with breech of contract. Vivint breeched the contract by billing the wrong account, using the wrong e-mail addresses when given proper spellings numerous times, going into accounts and taking money when bills were already paid, using debit card numbers to withdraw money from accounts when they were instructed for a one time payment and finally lastly trying to remove the penny balance in the account I only deposit vivint money in. My husband is 70 years old and has had diarrhea almost every week dealing with them his blood pressure is sky high. You ask to speak with management supervisors no one in the company knows what the next is doing. They don'd know who in the company they should call to resolve the problems. It's one big nightmare. To those people I recommended I am truly sorry.

Julie H

March 21st, 2016 San Jose, CA

After having the panels installed in October of 2105 and multiple delays and emails and the last one 1 month stating that they were not installed to code, I requested them to be removed and all damages to my home be fixed by them. Do Not Use they,

leo

March 21st, 2016 Honolulu, HI

its been almost 2 years ,and their system is not running! vivint said that once the installation is done it would take a month to get the system connected to the grid, we are still waiting still today 3/7/2016,installed on 7/7/2014. poor customer service, they tried to blame us for their system is not up and running they even tried to forge my signature on a third party inspection form, and have the nerve to tell me that it is our fault that the NEM will be expired. do not go with Vivint Solar! bunch of liars

John Smith

March 21st, 2016 Wayne, NJ

My house roof has been leaking for over two months and no one has came out to fix it.

Ruth Broder

February 23rd, 2016 Bridgeport, CT

Vivint installed the panels on my roof after selling me on the fact that I would not have to pay for this system but the electricity would be given to United Illuminating, the electric company I deal with. After almost five months, this system is not up and running and when I have been given a date of inspection, Vivint stated that because of back up, it would now be delayed but given no date of when.....

ROBERT NAHRWOLD

February 4th, 2016 Clifton, NJ

vivint solar, let's see, I had an appointment August 28 of 2015, and I am online as of yesterday, February 3, 2016. After researching the company for over three years, I decided to go with them for many different reasons. One reason everything was explained to me step by step, they also told me at the time of the appointment. It could be 6 to 7 months. This is because there's a lot of paperwork involved permits to obtain to be signed and finalized by many different organizations that are involved I am completely satisfied with vivint solar and will recommend it to my friends whenever I need to contact the company with a question my representative is always there to answer.

Roger B

February 4th, 2016 CA

Really have seen the savings start to come through after a successful install over the last few weeks. I've appreciated how professional Vibnt Solar's been through the whole process

Benjamin Silva

January 25th, 2016 Marshfield, MA

It took Vivint seven months to finally get me on line and running. They installed the panels in July of 2015 and as of January 20th 2016 I was still not receiving any solar energy.

Silvia Astorga Salcido

January 7th, 2016 Fresno, CA

If you're one of those individuals who like to conduct business with companies who have their act together on their Web Sites, then don't do business with Vivint. I regret signing up for solar with this company for this issue alone. Their website has never worked since I signed on. You can't get invoices, documents, or other needed information in an efficient manner. Even despite complaints, they have not fixed their web-site. As far as savings, when I signed up, they promised me a 50% savings on my PGE... Well, if truth be told, I'm lucky if I'm actually saving 20%. Do yourselves a favor and do some hard nosed shopping, comparisons, etc. before you do business with Vivint.

Paul L. Nevins

January 4th, 2016 Roslindale, MA

Caveat emptor. Viviint Solar should be avoided at all costs. Its customer service sand responsiveness to legitimate consumer concerns about improper installation are abysmal.

c allen

December 23rd, 2015 Oakley, CA

Vivian installeded in May 2015 and 8 montths Dec 2015 still not sent paper work to PGE for conection

Henry Lebensbaum

December 21st, 2015 Andover, MA

I signed an agreement in June 2015. The first electrician of about 8, I believe, came inn during September 2015. It is now the end of December 2015. I also have a Genrac generator. Each electrician complained about the competence of the other. The system is still off line. By your actions you damaged the generator transfer box and the generator battery. Electricians and Tanner May promise to call – they do not. I have lost time. The system already failed the town's inspection. I have lost money. I am aggravated. My blood pressure is high. Meanwhile, the Solar panels are not on. The generator is off line. I was promised that that you folks are competent and capable of doing the work correctly in a timely fashion. By your conduct, these actions and omissions were false and misleading. I relied on your representations to my detriment. Your conduct in dealing with me has been both deceptive and fraudulent.

CLloyd

November 24th, 2015 Bowie, MD

Although the salesperson that I worked with, Josh, seemed pretty good, the customer service has been terrible. I had the solar installed in July and here I am about to go into December, and it still is not completed. The young lady who is handling my account, Aubrianna, is very slow to respond, does not keep up with my account and does not seem concerned about my issues. Last week, I had hoped to get it ready to go but, my inspection failed. I have received no comment from Vivint as to when someone else would be here to get my wiring corrected, when a new inspection would be scheduled or even a call to let me know they are working on it. If I knew it was going to be this bad, I would have used another company. This is absolutely ridiculous!!!

Doug

September 14th, 2015 Newburyport, MA

I've been very happy with Vivintsolar. It was installed in 30 days after signing the agreement. Another 10 days for National Grid to install their net meter and for city inspection approval. The installation was professional and the 23 panel 6Kwh system has generated about 185 Kwh over 10 days since coming on-line Sept 3rd.

Nina

June 17th, 2015 Marlborough, MA

You will save money with vivint solar. They are the best solar company that exist out there! I would recommend this company to anyone that wants to save money on electricity! They are great and provides a great program that I think all should try to see if they qualify. Go with Vivint solar the best solar company out there

Ronald Fries

May 18th, 2015 Lynn, MA

I went with Vivint Solar liked the salesman and then I did my homework. I read the PPA front & back including all the small print. Nothing there that I thought would prevent me from signing up and saving 60-75 dollars a month.. I was also only the 2nd person in my district to get the Solaredge equipment the Vivint has recently started to install. Very nice 6.76Kw system. The installation was great the process moved very quickly. I did however take some initiative to get local inspections done and I did take the liberty of forwarding some of the required documentation for interconnection to my utility company. All said and done from the time I signed the contract on April 1, 2015, panels installed April 24th, inspections done on May 11th, I got the Permission to Operate from my utility company on May 13th, only took 6 weeks and 2 days. I could not be happier... I know this is not the norm and I did figure it would take 3-4 months before the process was complete. Was also told by NRG and Solar City it is a 3-5 month process. Just want to say that everyone I dealt with from Vivint Solar was fantastic. And I would recommend them to anyone..

unhappy customer

May 15th, 2015 Brockton, MA

Do NOT use Vivint. Signed up in June 2014, it is the end of May 2015 and I still do NOT have solar. I take days off of work for appointments for the set up and then they DO NOT show up. They don't care and they are unprofessional.

Kelly

April 6th, 2015 Framingham, MA

We have had our solar panels Installed on our roof for 7 months and they are still not connected! When we call we get no answers or time frame. Very poor customer service!

Wayne

February 3rd, 2015 Brooklyn, NY

These guys know what they are doing. Very informative and organized. I've had it for 8 months and I'm saving a good amount every month. Wish I would have done it a year ago when my neighbor did it. Love these guys.

Mike

November 4th, 2014 Brooklyn, NY

Very disappointed. They did not deliver what was promised. Have talked to company and still no help.

martha williams

October 30th, 2014 San Diego, CA

We have had Vivint for almost two years now. Yes we pay for the power but we no longer pay to SDGE and we are saving at times over $150 a month. No complaints, my only worry would be power outages. It did take time for it to get up and running but once done, happy

Laurie Hargreaves

October 23rd, 2014 Clovis, CA

Our salesman was great and always communicated with us. HOWEVER....the rest was a nightmare as well. From taking a full 6 months to get it working...it was ready in May and paperwork to page did not get to them until August. Although it was turned on by Vivint in May and I believed it was done...imagine my surprise when I have a regular pge bill. Vivint refused to help with that bill stating they put a new panel in for us. That's how they sold it so they weren't doing me a special favor. So we will just how much money we will actually save.

Anya Burgess

October 22nd, 2014 La Plata, MD

I was very impressed with the process. It may have taken a while, but the sales rep stated that from the beginning! The process was smooth and they kept it simple.

Rory Backus

October 20th, 2014 Bakersfield, CA

Our salesman was very good, very professional. Everything else was a nightmare. From all the damage done to our tile roof. One broken promise after another. no communication unless I called them. Then they would tell me what I wanted to hear, it ended up just being lies.Nothing went as promised, company just left us hanging time after time. It took over 6 months from the start of installation to being operational. I was told that with solar, we would never have another PG&E bill in tier 3 or 4. Every bill has been in tiers 3 and 4. Wish they could just remove their system and be done with it. Don't get me wrong....I think everyone should have solar. Just not from companies that do business like this.

Steve Schur

October 20th, 2014 Auburn, MA

Very unprofessional company. Lack of communication. Phone calls never returned. System installed mid July. After emails and phone calls and 3 no shows by the electricians electrical completed on Sept. 17th. Went to local town hall(1 month later) to see when inspections will be performed. Vivint never contacted the town for inspections. Made phone call to Rich Anderson (Vivint) to inquire about status. Has yet returned call.Sorry I went with Vivint and recommended other friends and relatives to sign up. It has been 3 months and I am not on line. Thanks Dave Card.Promises,Promises,Promises Steve Schur Oxford, MA

Mary

October 20th, 2014 Toms River, NJ

Excellent and friendly service. Everything done to the dot. I've been a customer for 10 months, and my power bill is definitely much lower now.

gregg agapay

October 20th, 2014 Santa Cruz, CA

The best way to go solar for free i have ever seen. PG&E rates are so high here that going solar saves me close to 50% off my bill. And vivint takes care of everything plans permits panels installation insurance maintenance all free. i only pay for power at a much lower rate than PG&E.charges. once people realize they can dump PG&E everyone will, then they will stop allowing new solar chstomers like they have in Hawaii. so you better hurry. i see no down side to going solar with vivint.

Drusilla Woolever

October 16th, 2014 Oakley, CA

some one completely DROPPED the BALL on us. we were promised a few things .that were not delivered. things were going ok and all sudden nothing absolutely nothing we eaven had the permits and they just vanished off the planet no phone calls and no return calls. very very BAD built up a seniors hopes and then act like nothing ever happened. shame on you. shame on ADAM.

michael

October 16th, 2014 Stockton, CA

So far so good

Ronn B

October 15th, 2014 Bakersfield, CA

I saw a huge drop in my power cost because I pay a flat rate for what's generated as opposed to the tier system PG&E had me on. Nothing but a good experience with Vivint.

Brandon M

October 14th, 2014 Lindon, UT

I was skeptical first, in fact my wife shunned the rep the first time she met him. After we had several bids from similar companies, Vivent solar was the best option for us. Not only was it the best option but they were more professional and prompt.

annette boyer

October 14th, 2014 San Francisco, CA

Great savings

Robyn Adams

October 13th, 2014 Lakeside, CA

From the consultation to the install to the inspection, every step of the process has been very professional and timely. I would highly recommend Vivint and the PPA model as a solar solution.

Licious Brown

October 13th, 2014 San Antonio, TX

Extremely pushy salesman who lied multiple times, which I called him on. It was extremely difficult to get him to understand I am moving within 2 years, and therefore a 10 year contract was not in my best interest. He kept reassuring me that the next owner would love it "for sure."

Michael Ingenito

October 13th, 2014 Deer Park, NY

Not what they promised. Would not recommend them. Talked to customer service a month ago with a promise of a technician coming out to resolve problem. Still waiting

[email protected]

October 13th, 2014 San Jose, CA

My pge bill went from $400-$600 a month in the summertime to $175-$195 a month.... Enough said....

Shantell Otare

October 11th, 2014 Kailua Kona, HI

We always knew we wanted solar but as 1st time home owners back in 2011, we weren't positioned to buy them out right as that was the only option back then with other companies. When lease programs came out, we still held out because we didn't want a loan on our credit because we were more interested in putting out monies into real estate. Vivint came to our place in March of 2014, this was the first time we heard of a PPA. After drilling the representative we felt comfortable with moving ahead...best thing is NO MONEY OUT OF POCKET. We've since enjoyed the streamlined process they have in putting together the design, paying for any improvements that the public utility requested and a quick and very informed installation. Knowing that they'll be taking care of the system for the next 20 years is also very comforting. We've been paying 44 cents a kilowatt all these years to our public utility, now that we're locked in at 19 cents to Vivint, we look forward to all the benefits that will come with the money savings we are going to experience over the next 20 years. Mahalo Nui Loa (Thank you very much) The Otares