Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar energy systems.

The company is one of the most talked about solar panel installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

Go Directly to Vivint Smart Home Customer Reviews

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Warranty Coverage
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, solar loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the solar PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to utilize alternative energy and save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Warranty Coverage

Vivint Solar offers a number of warranties for customers who select a solar purchase or a solar loan. For example, the solar installer offers a workmanship warranty that guarantees its work will be free from material defects for 10 years.

In addition, each solar panel system's panels carry a 25-year linear performance warranty, and inverters carry minimum 10-year manufacturers' warranties.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract with the solar company: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels to their new roof at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint salesperson about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in all 50 states, as well as in Washington D.C. and the Virgin Islands.

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power and clean energy with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPA typically requires customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get their solar system running after the installation was complete.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality customer service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

3.2

Terri Williams

June 6th, 2016 Hamden, CT

Everything is easy with Vivant. The team has been great. I do wish I'd known more about the install in terms of the PVC piping.

Cheryl

June 6th, 2016 Nottingham, MD

Signed contract with Vivint Solar in August 2015; solar panels installed in March 2016; County inspection was occur at 1pm today but they haven't showed up yet (it's now 2:30pm); Vivint is here to do work after the County inspection, but where is the County? After this part is done, then it will be ANOTHER 30 days to finally start using these solar panels. Very frustrating and annoying that we've waiting almost 1 YEAR to get this completed. Not a happy customer here. I'm anxious to find out if we will have any savings after all of this.

Deborah

June 2nd, 2016 Deer Park, NY

Worst customer service. No one calls you back! You wait forever for installation or removal.

Margaret furlong

June 2nd, 2016 Amesbury, MA

Took several attempts to get an apt for final approval and to start panels Apt times were not convenient for follow u after installation. I had to call to get panel information connected to internet. Should have been done at installation. Sales person was good. Not high pressure very professional

Dianne Sandberg

May 31st, 2016 Thousand Oaks, CA

We were so excited to get our solar and start saving money. 9 months after installation we still had no service. They dropped the ball after the installation with the certificates and getting Edison involved. I called them 2 to 3 times a week and still no service. I finally started bugging them on the phone every day. After a few months of no service, I wanted to cancel my service an told them to come get the panels off the roof but they said I signed the contract and couldn't cancel. So we were stuck. They'd tell me they were coming to the house to do something and they wouldn't show after I had been sitting there waiting for hours. Panels installed in September......service not connected until July. All's been good with the Edison electric bill very low prices. 6 or 12 dollars a month. Been paying the solar company $150-200 a month. 1/2 of what we paid before solar. Then at the end of the year Edison sends a big bill for $3000+. Come to find out the solar company didn't have us plugged into the Internet for Edison. No clue what that meant. So now we are fixing that. They say will reimburse us for that mistake. They came back out to the house and hooked us back up to wifi. What a mess. Hopefully we will get it going correctly for this next year. Very agrivating and frustrating. If I had it to do over again I would go with solar city.

Chewy Garcia

May 31st, 2016

After reviewing three different solar companies Vivint by far was the better of the three. First thanks to Tony for all the information on the savings that solar provide plus it's Eco friendly. And as far as the work crew...a 1, started at 8am finished before 1pm. From the very begining it was all positive with Vivint I would recommend them to family and friends.

Evie Rose

May 31st, 2016 Canton, MA

absolute nightmare since installed in August 2014-any savings I've gained have been offset in thousands of dollars in home repairs due to poor installation. Im currently listening to water pouring in to a large bucket in my living room. Last summer it was a huge water ring on my freshly painted ceiling (install techs stepped on and cracked the PVC pipe to my central air) + a bill to my HVAC company. few months before it was no heat in New England winter for three months because the techs knocked it out. Don't. Just don't. You'll regret it. I do.

Robert Roy

May 31st, 2016 Dracut, MA

I hate ths company. Installers stepped thru my ceiling while working in the attic. Repair looks horrible. Tried contacting my satisfaction manager, no response. They will not accept my check for payment. Only want a CC, or access to my checking account. Not going to happen. Disconnected it from the grid, and hired a lawyer. Can't wait to get them off my property.

J faherty

May 31st, 2016 Hamden, CT

I highly recommend Vivint solar company. Very professional, knowledgable and excellent communication keeping you informed through the entire process.

Jim

May 31st, 2016 Methuen, MA

My sales rep was very pleasant. She took a lot of time to explain everything and answer any questions. I didn't have to do anything for the installation except be home. In 9 months (Aug thru April), I have saved $241 when comparing what I pay National Grid plus Vivent versus what I would have paid the electric company if I had no panels.

Steven L. Chait

May 28th, 2016 Newark, New Jersey

Seamless until my town inspection and local power company got involved, now at a standstill, installed 7 months ago, still not turned on.

Katrina Calvert Boschetti

May 28th, 2016 Burlington, Massachusetts

Love!... live in MA and haven't had an electric bill for 2 months! We actually have credits! Can't wait to see how much we'll save this summer!

Andrea Hinton Bigler

May 28th, 2016 Manteca, California

FINALLY after 2 years we are sometimes making more solar than the energy we are using. They didn't want to put the extra set of panels on because they swore it would take us over 95% production. That's happened maybe 10 days in the last 2 years.

Jeannette De La Torre

May 28th, 2016 San Diego, California

My experience with Vivint started out great but ended up HORRIBLE!!!!!! I moved almost a year ago and got the new owners to sign transfer papers. I am still being charged for the services even though I haven't lived there for 11 months and every time I talk to someone from Vivint I am told it is their mistake and they will take care of it but nearly a year later they still haven't.

Alicia Montalbo Bartley

May 28th, 2016 Pearl City, Hawaii

Well I have had Vivint for two years now. I was told my electric bill would run $18.00 a month from my Hawaiian electric company. Havent seen that yet. my bill is still high so they added more panels and it didnt help. My bill is still at $100.00 a month and paying Vivint $260.00 a month. Now they say I may need more panels but I have to wait for approval which they dont know how long it will take. Not happy at all plus they dont return your calls..During the summer with my AC going my bill was up to $600.00...$300.to Vivint and $300 to Hawn. Electric Co.

Lorna Tseckares

May 27th, 2016 Arlington, MA

From the moment I met your representative, Wayne Parsighian, it was smooth all the way. The workmanship, although I can't get up on the roof, my husband viewed the plans, they made a few visual corrections, and things went smoothly. The crew was here when they said they would be, followed through with future dealings with Eversource, etc., and we are all set. Most helpful. And will recommend Vivint to anyone interested in Solar power.

Joe

May 26th, 2016 Norton, MA

just got a bill from nay grid for -63 dollars. Can't wait for the next.

Aura Javier

May 26th, 2016 Lawrence, MA

The experience was good as a whole. The information Luis gave us was very helpful. The solar panels look wonderful.

Jeremy David

May 25th, 2016 North Easton, MA

Very good experience so far with Vivint Solar - Salesman Jason Daly is very professional, courteous and thorough and I would recommend him and his company to anyone interested in solar energy for their home.

Nancy

May 24th, 2016 San Bernardino, CA

I was never ever told by vivint that if I should ever move they wanted 40,000. To be paid off. If the new owners do t want to continue the lease. I did move its been a year an to date I still receive bills even after I sold my home. Very sad it took a year to get them installed. I would never recommend them

Alice Spears

May 24th, 2016 Simsbury, CT

I never had thought about going Solar until one day Jonathan Manfre from Vivint stopped by. He explained how the whole system works, how it wouldn't cost me anything, how it helps the environment and also saves me money on my electric bill. He's been very professional and has kept in contact with me thru the whole process. The team that came to install the panels were great also. The job was done quickly and they didn't leave a mess. I'm very glad I chose Vivint to be my Solar provider and I highly recommend them. I'm glad I'm doing my small part to help the environment.

Mark Whitman

May 23rd, 2016 Bronx, NY

I am very happy with my decision to go with Vivint Solar. The energy consultant was very knowledgeable and informative really making it easy to understand solar and how it would give me all the benefits of owning my own system without any of the libility, win win!!! Though it took some time to get everything up and running, the wait was well worth it. The whole process and timeline was explained in detail setting my mind at ease (plus it wasn't like it was my money sitting on the roof!). I would definitely recommend Vivint to anyone evern remotely interested in saving money and going green!

stacey debartolo

May 23rd, 2016 Lynn, MA

My husband and I were skeptical at first. Our rep, Peter was very knowledgeable, friendly and easy to understand. Vivint customer service was OUTSTANDING! We signed up in September and was installed by November. The crew was wonderful with the installation, very professional and very nice. Once we starting using the solar, we slowly saw our electric bill go down. This month was $15. We also decided to take advantage of the low interest rates to refinance to another VA mortgage. With the VA being so strict we were worried that because of the solar (hearing all the negativity) we were going to have a hard time. Well, just the opposite. Most other solar companies will have you sign a "lease" which would make it a bit difficult to buy or refinance your home. NOT VIVINT. The contract clearly states that there is "no lien on the property". They even emailed me a letter 5 minutes after speaking with them, stating so. Well, we closed just last week , with absolutely no issues. Vivint customer service even called us to make sure that we had all the documentation we needed and wanted to know the status of our refi and how it went. Now that is service. Very personalized and professional. INCREDIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Even 6 months into having Vivint Solar, we still keep in touch with Peter our rep. I would highly recommend Vivint. NO lie.

Jennifer Freeman

May 23rd, 2016 Methuen, MA

Agent Mckenzie was very helpful, the process was smooth and quick. The benefits are good. We have saved money over the past couple months.

Margaret Lagan

May 23rd, 2016 South Glastonbury, CT

Jonathan M was very personable. Staff for installation were quiet and good cleaner uppers at the end of the service.

Marilyn Barry

May 23rd, 2016 Lawrence, MA

My experience with Vivent has been positive. All work was completed on time and I was always kept up to date on what was happening. All staff and workers were knowledgable and pleasant. I would definitely recommend Vivent to friends and family...and I have already done this.

Steve Corso

May 23rd, 2016 Bay Shore, NY

I have been a Vivent customer for just over a year now, and from start to finish, they were professional and efficient. The panels have saved me over $1200 just this past year alone. I strongly recommend Vivent Solar to anyone eligible looking to go solar.

Edward J Guy Jr

May 23rd, 2016 Methuen, MA

Ever since we were linked in with Joshua Watts working with Vivint solar has been nothing but positive. We had a small issue with snow on the panels, that had nothing to do with Vivint solar, it was mother nature unleashing one of the worst winters in memory. There was damage incurred when the snow came off the roof and Vivint was quick to repair any damage to the house as well as the solar panels. Joshua ensured that everything was working well and that we were satisfied. You can't ask for more than that. Joshua checks with us occasionally to see if there are any needs or problems. There has been no problems but it is a good feeling knowing that Vivint has employees who keep the customer first. I would recommend Vivint, and have, to anyone who would be interested in installing Solar electric.

Sharron Camaratta

May 23rd, 2016 Ramona, CA

Worst customer service ever after the panels are installed. Signing with Vivint was the biggest mistake I made as a home owner. Savings are minimal

Anita Miller

May 23rd, 2016 Ventura, CA

We were sold on the sales pitch for the solar panels. All the equipment belonged to Vivint. We did not realize that we were paying them for the energy we produced. When our bill went up during the summer months we started making phone calls. And that is when we read the small print. I love the solar panels and what they do for our environment. But their sales pitch needs to be way more upfront with how their billing works. But the did come back months later and fixed a leak in the roof.

Cindy

May 23rd, 2016 Clinton, MA

Our sales rep Dennis was very knowledgable about the product. He answered all our questions and was very accommodating to work with our schedule.

Walter

May 23rd, 2016 Waltham, MA

The installation was problem free and was completed in a morning. This was the second attempt to install, as the first was postponed by snow. In fact, the entire team waited hours hoping the snow would abate, but to no avail. The turnaround time from install to activation was supposed to be up to 12 weeks but it happened in less than a month. Very impressive. My only suggestion is to get an app to allow me to track the production and trending on my phone or tablet. The webpage offers very little information other than current day, current week and current month production.

Amalia Villa

May 20th, 2016 Lawrence, MA

My salesperson was awesome and the panels look great

Steve Jacques

May 20th, 2016 Princeton, MA

Disappointed in the fact that my gutter was damaged during panel installation that was back in January and still waiting for Vivint to send someone to replace it.

Gladys Rodriguez

May 19th, 2016 Lawrence, MA

Im very happy with my salesman and also very happy with the panels

Carrie Henninges

May 19th, 2016 Hamden, CT

Just got my solar panels installed and they look great . Thanks guys and thank you Josh for all your help. I would recommend Vivintsolar to anyone who is interested in going solar or would like to get more information on solar power. Can' t wait till the town inspection is done and the panels are turned on.

Jenn Grace

May 19th, 2016 Windsor, CT

We worked with Jon Manfre in getting solar panels put on our house. Jon has been amazing. Walked us through every part of the process - which there are a lot of steps - and has explained everything in great detail. We've already recommended Vivint to others based on our experience with Jon.

TJ

May 18th, 2016 Indio, CA

Salesman made a good pitch, promises made that were not kept. Installation was in July 2015, service turned on late Aug 2015. We were assured that if there were any leaks in our roof (as we had no prior ones), Vivint would take care of the repair. Vivint is now denying responsibility stating that the leak is not directly under one of their panels when in fact the leak caused water to be re-routed after moving roof tiles to accommodate the panels. Contacted our salesman 3 times with promises of follow up with his manager, no responses to my inquiries. We now have a leak in the living room that they won't repair!!! Other issue is that the installers placed the receiver too far from the inverter box causing too many interruptions in transmissions. Tech came out, drilled a hole in the exterior wall to run a cable to an interior bedroom, moved all of our internet router/wifi equipment (without our knowledge) to a back bedroom only to find out that all that was needed was a wireless extender. Now we have an unnecessary hole in the wall with an ugly wire sticking out!

Doug

May 18th, 2016 New York, NY

Dealing with vivint solar has been great. We have had no problems from the start of the process. After 2 years , no problems and have saved a lot of money. Have recommended them to our friends.

Kristin B

May 18th, 2016 Saugus, MA

After working with the sales consultant Adam Barras, who was very helpful and was there every step of the way contacting people when things weren't done when they should have been or when people never showed up for the electrical inspection and lied and said they did, we were finally up and running in 6 months. He treated us amazing and was very patient with our questions and concerns. The process was truly a nightmare and I think more people need to be hired so that the job runs smoothly. Our family is now saving almost 50% of our electric bill which we couldn't be happier about.

Rich Melloni

May 18th, 2016 Wareham, MA

The Vivint Solar experience has been seamless and cost efficient. The panels are well installed and the internet modem connection and auto bill pay save me time on tracking and paying for energy consumption. I save on average about 20-30% per month off my electric bill using the panels they installed on my home. I would highly recommend them.

Patty Willis

May 18th, 2016 Boston, MA

Adam Barras the Sales Representative that came to my home was knowledgeable and very patient with me explaining the process.

Shelley

May 18th, 2016 Buzzards Bay, MA

Good service all around

Katrina Calvert Boschetti

May 18th, 2016 Peabody, MA

Love my solar panels! May will be the 2nd month without an electric bill and we still have credits! I can't wait to see my savings this summer! Definitely use Vivint if you want to go solar, they really know how to explain how the process works and what to expect!

Smith

May 17th, 2016 Willingboro, NJ

Vivint's bills are too high! Was told wouldn't pay over a certain amount each month, which is not true. I see no savings! A web of misrepresentation!!!!!! Getting electric bill from PSE&G as well as from Vivnt. Bills = more then if i had 1 bill from 1 company.... I wish I can remove these solar panels and go back to JUST 1 bill from PSE&G!!!!!

Peter Balzarini

May 17th, 2016 Wareham, MA

I got a Vivint Solar electricity system for my home in August 2014. It took a while for the power company to switch my NET meter, but once it was activated I have been up and running since January 2015. I could not be more pleased with my system, it's results, or dealing with Vivint Solar. I highly recommend going Solar for all homeowners that can, and I highly recommend going Solar with Vivint Solar. I have been saving money and helping the environment. Vivint did a great job installing the system and are a pleasure to work with.

Charlie Tyros

May 17th, 2016 Chelmsford, MA

We have now had our Vivint Solar Panels for two winters and pleased to report zero issues. The entire process from Sales, Installation, Billing and Service have all proven seem less and completely trouble free. We continue to be highly impressed with the process and recommend the system.

David O'Brien

May 16th, 2016 Methuen, MA

All good.

Kathy Reed

May 16th, 2016 Honolulu, HI

Vivint has given me a way to afford solar without paying upfront or taking out a loan. My electric bill is pretty low now, just depends on how much the power goes over or under my electric usage. My whole bill is lower however than if I was to have all electric. I do think they could have added more panels to keep my bill down even further, but there was never much clarity on that.

Berkis Fuentes

May 16th, 2016 Lawrence, MA

My salesperson Luis was helpfull and very polite