Sungevity

7.2

LAST UPDATED: January 5th, 2023
Megaphone Icon

Sungevity is now part of the Pineapple Energy family.

Sungevity was acquired by residential solar provider Pineapple Energy in November of 2020. As such, all information in the following Sungevity review remains accurate and up-to-date. Check out our full Pineapple Energy review for more information.

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

SunPower Logo
#1 SunPower chevron_right
Solar Optimum Logo
#3 Solar Optimum chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, solar loan, and PPA payment options, solar homeowners can begin saving on their electricity bill for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the solar inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers cover the cost of the system and solar panel installation upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

As a solar panel installer, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.
Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their solar systems, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise the solar provider for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering switching to clean energy with Sungevity?

The Bad

• Embattled History
  • Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Embattled History

By summer of 2016, Sungevity had become the fifth-largest residential solar installer in the U.S., but the company's history since that point has proven chaotic. Sungevity experienced widespread layoffs along with a chapter 11 bankruptcy filing in 2017 before selling its America-based assets to private equity firm Northern Pacific Group. The company later rebranded as Solar Spectrum, and in concert with residential installer Horizon Solar Power, effectively relaunched as Sungevity.

Following multiple acquisitions, the company returned to acclaim as the seventh-largest residential solar installer in 2018; however, subsequent reporting revealed that both of Sungevity's subsidiaries (Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar Power) subcontracted all installation work, while Sungevity itself was operating on an expired solar installer license.

By late 2020, Sungevity experienced its final round of layoffs, leaving several rooftop contractors without work or recompense, as well as many more customers with incomplete solar panel systems on their roofs. By December of 2020, many of Sungevity's US assets were bought at auction by Pineapple Energy, a residential solar provider also owned by Northern Pacific Group.

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in California, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Colorado. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one the states it covers, Sungevity's multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top-notch customer service are hard to beat.

View Best Solar Companies

Dave Los Gatos, CA

Would rate higher but we were continually dealing with otating personell. First we had Scott, then we got Christina then it was Sean... We eventually got used to this, but we were still confused by the repeated requests for additional signatures. These e-documents were returned signed and the e-response we received from Sungevity was that the document was rejected. After talking with Sean or Christina or Scott - we were informed that this was normal and a glitch in te system. So I did not know whether to respond or ignore the communique. For these reasons, I rated the comany a "7", instead of a higher score.

Reply from Sungevity

Hi Dave, Thanks for the review! Sorry to hear so many people had their hands on your project to help get it to the finish line but I am glad to hear it went well. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if there is ever anything we can do to help you out. Thanks again. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager

Jan. 27th, 2020

Brian

I think we kind of made our decision to get the solar panels before we fully understood what our electrical bills we're going to look like because we had just moved to the state. During the hot summer months, you're paying almost as much to you guys as to our power company, when the solar panels were supposed to completely negate our power bills from our power company There were a few issues, when they installed it there was garbage left behind that we had to clean up. Then our meter wasn't set up properly so they ended up having whole months go by without any of the electricity coming from our panel.

Reply from Sungevity

Hi Brian, Thanks for the review. Sorry to hear that the seasonality on solar your production wasn't fully explained to you. When we design systems and speak to their offset, we use an annual perspective using your historical electrical usage data to speak to your systems estimated offset. Often times, solar production will out produce your households electric needs in the Fall and Spring and will carry over into the hot summer months to help alleviate those higher electric bills. If you would like for me to deep dive into your production figures I would be happy to, please just reach out to my contact info below. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager

Nov. 12th, 2019

Ken

Their service has always been responsive for any inquiries and issues. Their customer service has always contacted me in terms of installation process to resolve any issues. The installation for the most part was smooth. They tried to keep me up to date with appointments or any issues and rescheduling with the city. I would say for the most part I'm pretty satisfied. After installation I realized that I'm not getting much energy from the panel as I was promised so I will say that even though the installation process was really good I think the equipment might not have met the expectation I was promised.

Bruce Pittsburg, CA

I had an exceptional sales rep who was very helpful in analyzing between what was provided by Solar Spectrum and other competitors. I was able to negotiate the cost with information he shared with me. They are very helpful in terms of providing information. They are somewhat responsive, and I'm pretty happy with them. The installation was fairly quick. From the time I signed the contract, they were delayed the installation. Once they got to installation, it was quick and was up in one day. They are very sensitive to the appearance of their panels. They made them less visible, so I'm very pleased with the installation and product.

Greg Mission Viejo, CA

Started out great. Good communication. Had some issues with which loans were available to me, but they figured it out. Then after the install, which was awesome, roof in 1 day, solar up the next, they just dropped off the map??? I had to call to see when we would be done. They told me different dates. Solar was installed on the 1st. I called on the 12th to see where we are at. They said they need to put in a breaker still, I asked why wasn't it done in the last 2 weeks? They come out to put in the breaker on the 26th finally. The Final inspection can't be finalized because of some typos on the paperwork... still waiting for my solar!

Dale Taylor Cortland, NY

"The system itself has been fantastic. Before I started, they asked me to give them a year's worth of my energy bill so they could determine my usage and then design a system based on that. They said, "we'll guarantee that you'll get at least 110% of what you used in the past". So last February I did have a bill I had to pay...I think it was $50 or $60. But then starting in March of 2016 until November I generated a credit each month and so I haven't have to pay a bill since that point other than the access fee that are local power company charges us $16 and $0.95. That should be my bills for the rest of my life…$16.95 a month. It's what I hoped would happen and it's what the Sungevity people had told me would happen you know sometimes you have to take people at their word and they did so I'm pretty happy. For the most part, the installation was all positive. One of the girls that I spoke with who was maybe an engineer, she wanted to start the process in March and I had to explain to her that in where I live in Central New York, March wasn't a good time to start the process. I was gonna have to wait until there was no chance of snow involved. At first she wasn't real hot on that idea she tried to convinced me that when you're up buying a roof and it's a micro climate it's different than when you're on the ground. As far as I can tell, they're a good company. It's not like I'm expert or anything, but I do know that it has worked for me."

Gilberto Oterolozano Escondido, CA

Installation was fine, it was fast and they had no problems. The only thing is there's a lot of tools that they left out the house. The system works fine but it's not enough for our needs so we still have a little bit of money we have to pay to the power company. They had an incredible presentation. They used an electronic presentation where you can set it to your computer and a person will talk to you over the phone. The field director was excellent- very knowledgeable. They were very customer service oriented, arrived on time, and were easy to access. They gave us their cellphone numbers if we had questions and they were very prompt about getting back to us if we have a little voice mail. They were just very responsive, very knowledgeable and very warm in welcoming.

Daisy Lee Castro Valley, CA

My system has been great. I love it. I can check on it at any time on my computer, on my iPhone to see what kind of energy we're getting. The installation was very clean and very thorough. They came in and did their job and left everything as it was. Sungevity explained everything in basic and obvious terms rather that speaking in jargon, so that really help us understand our needs. I think what would be really nice is if they can explain that year end true up with PG&E a little bit clearer. The first year we got that, we were actually quite surprise so a little bit more detail on what that true up means would really really help instead of me having to go to PG&E at the end of the year and try to figure it out with them. I think that's the only thing other than that we're really happy with our system and it's working.

Rootuja Ghatge Fremont, CA

The company is quite excellent. They always follow up on any problems, like a one time we had a stormy night and the car charger blew up. So they replaced it quickly. They always followed-up so no complaints. I just have one comment to make: I just wish they recommended us to get a pick all system. So that they wont give you any bill right now. After that worked, I have the prepaid security. So you see if we had an electrical system then we weren't have any few electric bill, that's my only comment. everybody's great, everybody's professional, they are very responsive when I said I have any questions or a comment, so no complaints. I like how I think they are and how responsive they are.

Bill Moreno Valley, CA

We thought they were a professional company do a good job. The installation process actually went very well he came as as promised and seem like they did a pretty good job. On thing that's kind of negative is that the $1500 promised is taken an exceptionally long time, we did fill out some paperwork, so maybe it should be here in a few weeks but I don't know for sure.

Darwin Oroville, CA

Everyone I met whether it be by phone or in person was great I even got to learn about (not necessarily understand) the installation and how things work. The down side was that contacting a representative (excluding Brandon Rushing) was quite the challenge. I also asked for business cards and a sign to put in the yard. I have yet to see either.

Susan

The customer service sometimes responds right away when I call and sometimes they don't. The installation process was good. The only problem was coordinating for inspection because we are in a rural area. That took like 4 to 7 months of rescheduling, rescheduling, rescheduling to get someone to meet up at the same time. Right now, for at least a couple of times, I'm having issues producing electricity.

Doris Bakersfield, CA

I needed to rent instead of purchase, and they were the first company to offer a decent rental. It wasn't the best Solar company, there was a lack of communication between the city, county and the company. It was a very difficult and long process, the installation man had to wait from 7am to 3pm for an inspector to cover. The inspector had to come back multiple times instead of doing it in one day. They would put the panels on and take them off to be inspected, they did that 3 times. It was absolutely time wasting, money wasting, with lots of stupidity.

Christine Modesto, CA

Customer support is great at keeping you updated and getting everything done that needs to be. We don't have to worry about stuff, because they handle it. The installation went over 2 days, because they needed to fix some issues. They didn't come out professionally to evaluate the house until we signed the contract. I guess they needed to check their supplies and make sure we did every step of the contract and applications. We haven't had any issues so far, and they have definitely decreased our monthly payment.

Deborah Holcomb Los Angeles, CA

I can't quite remember if it was the panels or the company that convinced me of going with Sungevity. I just remember them being the first ones to call me and the nicest ones too. The other companies were just unacceptable. Originally their customer service was absolutely excellent. I had nothing but good things to say about them. After the installation though I had a few follow up questions but it turned out that the person I was dealing with had just left the company. No one would tell me why. The installation itself was very smooth and just wonderful. Everything seems to be working fine.

Robert Robbins Walnut Creek, CA

I chose them based on the research that I had done. The installation went very well. The panels haven't been on the roof for more than 2 months so it's a little premature to say how it's going to be, but so far it has been working fine. Customer support is ok in the sense that they do respond but I wish they would have given us some more instructions on how the solar works and how to monitor it.

Ann Ramos-Desrosiers

I looked at the prices of different companies and found the one that would let me get more panels on my roof. I wanted to reduce my energy bills, so I went with Sungevity. Everyone was great, from the sales person, to the project manager, and even the installers. It was a great experience. The panels are now up in my house, mostly towards the back of it. They are not as low lying as I thought they would be, but they're fine.

Frank Orson Lafayette, CA

We talked with a lot of companies and they were the more flexible one when it came to what I wanted. We had some communication problems with them for a little while, but once things got started installation was pretty smooth. It was all pretty quick except for the final adjustments, those took a long time. It has been operating for a little over a month or so. My only suggestion for anyone going with Sungevity is to hold off on the payments until the work is actually completed.

Lucy Corona, CA

They did a good job installing the system at our home, and I was satisfied with that. Plus, they were cheaper than other companies, so that was a big factor in deciding to go with them. The only thing I didn't like is that they gave me a 25-year guarantee, but they didn't give me an option to buy it. Besides that, it's worked out pretty well, and I even recommended it already!

Nilesh Mistry Hayward, CA

As far as the consultant, they were knowledgeable, very helpful and returned my calls very promptly. However, Sungevity made a few mistakes regarding the rules and regulations of the system, so I was not very happy about that. On top of that, the Project Management Team didn't answer my questions in a timely manner. Now, more and more people are questioning the company because of the news that came out yesterday.

Anusha Bhoi

One of my office colleague's told me about Sungevity and how happy he was with them. The installation was done within time and the Solar Consultant was good as well. However we were a bit confused when it came to the Project Manager because they kept assigning new managers without our consent. They also filed for bankruptcy, so we don't know if we'll be with them in the future. Besides that, their system is doing very good! It gave us the numbers we expected.

JS Sharon, MA

I talked to about three different companies about their products and their prices and also talked to people who had used a few different companies and made the decision based on that. I think my only complaint was that there are many different people who I needed to talked to in order to go through the whole process, but other than that it was very good.

JK Callicoon Center, NY

The people involved were wonderful, I'm a little disappointed in the amount of energy that I produce but it's a small system so I guess I have to just kind of live with that. But they've been nothing but good, they have been very careful and very watchful of the system and their guarantees are good. The system install happened in one day and it was well coordinated.

Wayne Entwistle North Dartmouth, MA

I haven't had much contact with them since it's been put in. Nobody really calls here or anything from Sungevity to see how things are going. Installation was fine. I got things fixed. The electric company came by and realize what the problem was and if it hadn't been caught I could have had a fire in the house so then Sungevity had them come back and check out everything. It was a mistake, but it was mistake that could have cost on my house, I wasn't happy with that part of it. The installation, everything else was fine I have no complaints except for that one thing.

John Hill Anaheim, CA

I was really impressed. The team was wonderful, I was really really surprised because I have a lot of trouble with contractors in the past and this was just really refreshing. They were extremely accommodating, it was really nice. If there's one weakness in Sungevity, it is the availability of the information. I'm not able to directly connect into the system and everything that's done online with them. They have relatively limited reporting and usually behind a couple of weeks but that's really relatively minor.

Leo Castillo Paso Robles, CA

Their customer service is great, no one is ever rude, they were super friendly and the most are purity concerned when everything went wrong, is anything went wrong so it's pretty awesome. No one was ever difficult to work with, everyone was super friendly, helpful, it's very simple. When everything was processed and put up, their continue support is actually incredible, if there's ever an issue with the solar panels or I have a question about the systems, they were there for me and easy to work with. The only process that took us long is getting the CD to come out and process on everything

Melkon Krikorian Queens Village, NY

They give me a quote, they showed me what the system will do and everything they said turned out well. So I trusted them and I did it. The installation was not as smooth as I like. I think partly because they were dealing with outside vendors, so probably they had a thing in there, but the installer been quite the measure up. But eventually everything worked out well.

Michael Sutyla Clinton, CT

After researching the top 5 companies and find all the data I could, I went with Sungevity. Their customer service is above average. We did have some situations with sunlight restriction and they help me with their engineering department, removed a couple of trees and provide the household the marks to the direct sun. And those services they provided with no charge and they also gave me a 100-dollar free home consulting survey, with an energy company here in Connecticut which came in and gave me LED light bulbs and sealed-small leaks in our house

Steven Ramsey Porterville, CA

The panels that Sungevity offers no one else offers them, so that set them apart in my mind. I am very satisfied with the company and everything that they have done for me so far. My only complaint is in regards to the company referral fee. I referred my daughter to the service and she ended up having it installed. I still have not received my referral fee from them, and $1,000 is a lot of money.

Glenn Miller Hillsborough Township, NJ

We checked out several companies, and they seemed to meet our needs the best. We have had no problems whatsoever with the company. Everything is very inexpensive, and the management team was great. I would recommend Sungevity to just about anyone like I said, there is no problem. The bill has been fine and we had nothing to say badly about this company.

Donald Mazzarella Somers Point, NJ

So I investigated a few different companies online, but I work for Lowes, and there was a Sungevity rep. there every day. So after talking to them I decided that they would be best. My initial consultation was a little bit rocky to be honest, he was a bit unclear on some details. But once everything got cleared up, installation was very good, and everything else has been great.

Andrade Lamb Fallbrook, CA

Sungevity, when they presented to me, I was very impressed. The design's were superb, the pricing was was just right. Everything was transparent. The installation process was just average. They utilize local contractors, which wasn't what I had expected. And they had to come out and tweek the system 4 or 5 times. Overall though, everything is great.

Adrian Laboy Bloomfield, CT

I had a request on someone from other companies but they were , they showed a lot of willingness to help and to come up with the best installation fee so they were very attentive, very very helpful, very good communication so that's why I hook them up. the installation I'm very satisfied, very good job and the measurements that they gave me were great on in terms of duration and I was very satisfied.

Stewart Adelanto, CA

I like the sales rep and I like the pricing options. Installation went fine, except they broke one of the tiles on my roof and I had to call to get somebody back out and repair it. I thought they did a good job of putting the panels up there and and they were pretty clean.

Reply from Sungevity

Hi Stewart, I am sorry to hear a tile broke but am glad to hear it was repaired. I know from walking on roofs, it can be near impossible at times to avoid this and it is very important to get them fixed when they break. It sounds like everything else went very well too. Thank your for sharing your experience! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager

Oct. 1st, 2019

Vickie CA

I called them to obtain a quote. (I called three companies) They seemed like they had it together much more than the other companies. So I went with them. I had a lot of questions. They took the time to answer all questions.

Michael Palmdale, CA

Those reps that came were very friendly. He was knowledgable and was able to provide the service and he appears trustworthy. We had a couple of issues and we were told that we were gonna be getting checks and get follow up on the issues because it didn't come in the time frame we were told initially.

Alejandro

The installation process was fairly quick. It took them a little bit longer than anticipated and they left some damage on the front porch that I'm not too happy with. At the beginning they needed some kind of update and it took an extra month to get that update.

Jody Santee, CA

I had a few mix ups with past occurrences when trying to support something that was going on with the former system but overall the customer service has been good. The installation process was very quick and easy and everything was communicated well as far as letting me know when everything was done and how everything was going.

steve Santee, CA

System produces energy as expected. However the roofing company that Slor Spectrum used to reroof our home was unsatisfactory.they did not remove existing roofing material when applying new roofing. Also, broken glass from previous solar panels remains on our roof

Bradley White Buffalo, NY

After installation, everything was great until we were no longer generating electricity for my solar panels. No one contacted us after 3 days of trying to get a hold of them, so I'm not very happy with their customer service.

Ismael Rivera Redding, CA

The installation and communication with the company was good. The monitoring system has been overlooked, and I've been trying to get in contact with people to help me. The installation was smooth, efficient, and well done. The equipment is so good, and working really well.

William Gray

Solar Spectrum was a little slower moving than I would have anticipated, but it all got done eventually. There were some glitches in the installation process, but overall I'm very satisfied. All the equipment is working properly.

Kreig Williams Lodi, CA

I loved that Solar Spectrum took the time to check in with me before and after the application to ensure everything was correct. They are a very efficient and professional company. Gave me all the details of what I needed to evaluate the type of system that I needed.

Freddy G

I wanted to save some money and also go green. Solar Spectrum was great to work with throughout the whole installation process. I was always able to easily get in touch with them. It only took about 2 days for them to get everything set up and working with my panels.

Barry Menifee, CA

I really like the price offered at Sungevity. They have always been clear with their answers, but have sometimes taken a little bit longer to get back to me. They've always gotten back, and have been very helpful. The installation process was quick, efficient, and clean.

Reply from Sungevity

Hi Barry, Congratulations on going solar! We would really like to let you know how much we appreciate you leaving us such a wonderful review here online. Now that you have experienced the many benefits of going Solar with us let us reward you with up to $2000. Here’s how • Earn $500 for your first referral. • Earn $1,000 for your second referral. • Earn $2,000 for your third referral and every referral thereafter. * We make it as easy as 1, 2, 3, to share your love of Solar with family, friends, and neighbors. Login to the Ambassador portal. Straight from your portal you can share your Link on social media or enter referrals manually by using the direct entry form. For Assistance Call: (866) 488-1922 or Email Warm Regards, Liz D.

Jul. 2nd, 2018

David Dismang Riverside, CA

I went through several different meetings with companies and decided this was the best for us. They are very friendly but didn't always respond in a timely manner. The installation took longer than expected. Right now it seems to be working and supplying us with enough energy so that we don't have an electric bill.

Patricia San Jacinto, CA

My granddaughter had signed up with them a few months ago, and she was very happy with them. With that in mind, when they came out and answered all my questions, I was convinced they were the best choice. they're pretty trustworthy, and although I haven't had the system for long, I've had a positive experience with the system.

D.C. Hemet, CA

So far, the system has been good. My electricity went out a few days ago, and I wasn't sure if it was the solar company or my utility provider, but besides that, I'm pretty satisfied with it. Everything went well from the installation to actually operating the system.

Ryan Hemet, CA

They did the job as promised; everything was on time and there was no mess no fuss involved. Plus, the initial salesman was very honest from the beginning, I really liked that. My overall experience with them has been positive.

Stephen Allison Wald Palm Springs, CA

The salesman we spoke to was excellent! Plus, they seemed to have a better presence in our area, so we decided Horizon Solar would be a good fit for us. Their customer service is personal, and I think their management personnel, along with the installation process, was excellent. I would not expect to find a better service.