Solarponics makes its customers the following promise: to always do the right thing. It's how the company has done business since it first opened its doors in San Luis Obispo, California, in 1975. Since then, Solarponics has installed more than 5,000 solar systems and saved Central Coast residents over $45 million and counting. A solar energy system is a 25-year investment, so Solarponics wants to make sure each customer has the right people and customer service standing behind them.

The Good

• Several Years of Experience
  • Variety of Services
  • High Quality Equipment
  • In-House Installations
  • Solar Energy Financing
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Local Community Involvement

Several Years of Experience

With over four decades of experience in solar power and thousands of installations under its belt, Solarponics is one of the most established companies in the solar industry. The company claims to know every local roof type, every mounting system, and every panel manufacturer, which gives it a leg up against less experienced competitors.

Variety of Services

In addition to providing solar electric systems for homeowners on California's Central Coast, Solarponics also offers a number of other services, including battery storage and backup, solar pool heating, radiant heating and cooling, and hybrid water heating. Further, the contractor offers power solutions for commercial customers, including solar PV, LED lighting, and battery storage.

High Quality Equipment

Because Solarponics has long-term relationships with a number of distributors, the company has the ability to provide its customers with high quality equipment, including USA-made panels and products, for their solar energy systems at a reasonable price. Solarponics offers efficient LG panels and SolarEdge inverters, each of which are respected brands within the industry.

In-House Installations

Solarponics does not subcontract any of its projects, which means that all installations, services, and repairs are taken care of by the company's own crews. Because all installations and repairs are performed by in-house teams, Solarponics customers get to enjoy quick response times, which leads to greater uptime and larger savings.

Solar Energy Financing

Solarponics offers several financing options to help customers cover the cost of solar and will help each client understand, apply for, and manage the financing process in order to get the most out of their renewable energy investment. Available financing options include California PACE financing, green loans, home equity lines of credit, leases, and power purchase agreements. $0 down options are offered with monthly payments as low as $69.

Lengthy Warranties

Solarponics offers attractive warranties on its energy systems, including a 25-year equipment warranty and a 10-year workmanship warranty. The equipment warranty covers operational failures, manufacturer defects, and other malfunctions tied to the panels or inverter, while the workmanship warranty covers labor.

Local Community Involvement

Since its inception, Solarponics has supported various non-profit organizations and agencies in its community. The company believes that its local community is its most valuable resource and strives to help out where and when needed. To date, the company has been involved with The Senior Nutrition Program, CAPS, Food Bank Coalition of San Luis Obispo County, SLO County EVC, Terry Keller/Leo Evola Scholarship Program, Atascadero High School Choir Boosters, Templeton High School Athletic Boosters, CDF/SLO County Firefighters Benevolent Society, ECHO, Lighthouse Atascadero, Atascadero Rotary, Atascadero Kiwanis, and Peoples' Self Help Housing.

The Bad

Limited Availability

Currently, Solarponics only operates in the state of California. While being a local company does come with its own unique advantages, it also limits the number of consumers who have access to its services. Individuals who live outside of the Central Coast of California do not have the ability to go solar with Solarponics.

The Bottom Line

Solarponics is one of the most established solar companies in the industry and offers several attractive features, including high quality equipment, in-house installations, and lengthy warranties. In addition to saving its residential and commercial customers money on their electric bills through energy independence, Solarponics is continuously working to provide its clients with top notch support and customer service. However, the company's service area is limited to California's Central Coast. If you live within the company's service area, Solarponics is a solid choice. However, if you live elsewhere, you'll have better luck with a different solar company.

View Best Solar Companies

4.9

Ranelle Bettencourt
January 29th, 2019 Templeton, CA DETAILS

My experience with Solarponics was superb. They are knowledgeable and informative. I appreciate their no pressure sales approach and the efficient way they communicate. They have a been in business for years and are very popular for all the obvious reasons but Lawson, our sales rep made me feel like I was his only client...so refreshing to be so efficient with communication and follow through. It is also comforting to know that they are the oldest solar business in SLO County. This is the second time we have used them and like before, we learned that they are the best in the business!

Jan 29, 2019

Hi Ranelle, Thank you for your review, and more importantly, your trust in Solarponics. -Frank Scotti

Steven Pax
January 8th, 2019 DETAILS

We’ve always had good experiences with Solarponics ... nice people and very professional.

Jan 29, 2019

Thank you, Steven, for your review of Solarponics.

Kathy
December 31st, 2018 Templeton, CA

Ron S has been professional and very helpful in answering my confusing questions. He is a great representative of your company. I would highly recommend him to anyone wanting a solar quote.

Jan 29, 2019

Hi Kathy, Thank you for your review. Ron is an awesome person. We're glad you had the opportunity to work with him. If you have other quetions you need answered, you know who to call. - Frank Scotti

Anne N
December 31st, 2018 Los Osos, CA DETAILS

great service, competitive price install looks great, quality product

Jan 29, 2019

Hi Anne, Thank you for your review. We really do take pride in what we do, and we hope it shows.

Dean Benedix
December 31st, 2018 Atascadero, CA DETAILS

Service manager Deana has been awesome assisting me with replacing my warrented BP system with an upgraded system this summer. She took care of all the details and installation quicker than anticipated and was always friendly, responsible, helpful, and took responsibility for Solarponics work. She was a positive advocate for my dealings with BP. I went with Solarponics about 12 Years ago and was satisfied with their installation and assistance until about two years ago when I compared my actual generation to the projected estimated generation. I found I was actually generating about half of what was estimated. With Deana’s assistance I found that half the system was offline due to a single panel burned out. I wish I had been told that was how the system was installed initially, and I would have gotten help to rectify the problem years earlier, and would have saved me $’1000’s in lost power. My new system will not have the same problem, and has an App that I can monitor and compare usage I real time .

Jan 29, 2019

Thank you Dean, for your review, and most importantly, your trust in Solarponics. Very detailed and helpful to us, and others reading your review. Today's solar energy systems are more efficient, and all systems have monitoring these days. We can catch a problem right away, and don't have to constantly monitor our energy bill for production of system. We still do recommend that you check on your system monthly. Checck your monitoring app, and check your energy bill for anomolies. We're alwasy here if you have any questions.

Lynn Davies
December 21st, 2018 Arroyo Grande, CA

Solarponics was the third contractor to assess my house and property and give me a bid for PV panels. Their representative, Lawson, was the only one to make a complete inspection of my electrical panel, my existing water heating solar panels I wanted removed, and did an exact measurement of the roof area for the new panels. He gave me choices on the type of PV panels and assured me the design team would maximize the available roof space for the size of system I wanted. Everything was explained completely, the steps involved, the length of time needed, and encouraged me to ask questions. Even email questions to him were answered quickly and completely. The installation crew spent the better part of a day and a half for my 19 panel installation, and all was done in a very professional manner. Solarponics has a great reputation, is a long standing locally owned company, came highly recommended, and completed the whole job at a price well under their competitors. I feel that Solarponics cared about me as a customer and will stand behind their products and workmanship long past when the warranties expire. I don't think you can go wrong with this company, their staff, and the products they use.

Jun 04, 2019

Hi Lynn, It's been awhile. Thanks for the review. How is your system operating today? Don;t forget to clean the panels about once a year for maximum generation and savings.

Debi and Dale
December 21st, 2018 Paso Robles, CA DETAILS

Solarponics installed solar panels and powerwalls (backordered) for our new home. From start to finish, service was excellent. They provided us various options to choose from, which allowed us flexibility in price, number of panels and overall kwh. While we were under construction and not in town during installation, everything that we know of was on time and high quality. Follow-up and turn on once construction was complete was timely with great service. They handled all the paperwork for rebates and PG&E connection - which we greatly appreciated!. Highly recommend Solarponics!

Jun 04, 2019

Hi Debi & Dale, Just checking in to saee how your system is doing. Don;t forget to check and wash your panels about once a year. Dirty panels can affect your production by 30% or more.

Harold Barron
December 19th, 2018 Lompoc, CA DETAILS

Found the problem immediately and we are ordering the part to connect to the internet, and the tech is also ordering the part that he needs to repair the equipment on the roof. Courteous, friendly tech, Ryan.

Jun 04, 2019

Hi Harold, How is your monitoring these days? Is everything working OK? Call DEana at (805) 466-5595 if you need anything.

Simon
December 19th, 2018 San Bruno, CA

Extremely organized and responsive. Always follows through. Keeps customers informed and drives healthy engagement across all stakeholders.

Jun 04, 2019

Simon, Just checking in. Thanks for the review. If you need anything, just give us a call.

Steve & Cathy Brody
December 18th, 2018 Cambria, CA

Local, personable, professional...totally satisfied with the office and all field folks. Highly recommend them! :)

Jun 04, 2019

Hi Steve, Cathy, Thanks for the kind words. We hope all is well. Don't forget we have a referral program that pays $500 for every referral you send our way who goes solar. Check out this link. https://www.solarponics.com/referral-program/

Armando Casarez
September 20th, 2018 Atascadero, CA DETAILS

I had my solar panels clean by Solarponics today and I can already see the increase in my production. Solarponics did a great job installing my system and am grateful that I can trust them for lifetime services.

Dec 12, 2018

Hi Armando, Thank you for your review and feedback. Your system is warranted for 25 years. So rest assured, you are covered.

Romayne
September 11th, 2018 Templeton, CA

Showed up on time for appointment. Ryan was knowledgeable and personable .

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Romayne, Thank you for your review.

Eric Siemens
September 10th, 2018 Arroyo Grande, CA DETAILS

The Solarponics team have done several project for me and my family over the course of the last several years. They installed a full solar system, 2 PowerWall II backup batteries, a 240 sub panel in my garage, and a heat pump hot water heater. I keep going back to them because they are professional, responsive, a pleasure to work with and very competitively priced. I highly recommend this company for all of your energy needs!

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Eric, Thank you for the review. You're one of the lucky ones to get the Powerwalls. They are in high demand. Anyway, we sincerely appreciate your business and your trust in Solarponics.

Vicki van den Eikhof
September 6th, 2018 Atascadero, CA DETAILS

They didn't just send a salesperson to my house-they sent someone who really knew the process and understood in great depth how everything worked. He wasn't just there to close the deal. I always had a quick response to my phone calls and emails and they were happy to answer any of my questions, even the ones with what were certainly obvious answers to them.

Sep 12, 2018

Hello Vicki, Thank you for your review. Our motto is : Do the right thing. Always. I am very happy to hear that it shows... and makes a difference.

Mike O'Hern
August 27th, 2018 Atascadero, CA DETAILS

Solarponics customer service is very good. Very friendly, quick to respond, and work to resolve any issues that come up. Tech service the same. Very helpful and diligent. Satisfied customer.

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Mike, Thank you for taling the time to review us. We appreciate your trust in Solarponics.

Rick
August 27th, 2018

The Solarponics sales agent was very helpful and informative, but not until I spoke with other companies in my solar purchase search did I discover the final answer I needed.

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Rick, Thank you for your review. We are here for any and all questions you may have for the life of your system and beyond.

Marios karayannis
August 24th, 2018 Templeton, CA DETAILS

It took a while to schedule an appointment, but once we had a time the team did an excellent job installing our solar control panel. It all works great. Very happy with the product and the installation.

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Marios, Thank you for your feedback. We will work on streamlining our appointment setting process to serve you faster in the future.

Bob Peake
August 20th, 2018 Paso Robles, CA DETAILS

They are very prompt and professional. It is nice to receive a quick response to a question or a concern you might have.

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Bob, Thank you for your review. Sometimes there is a delay in getting questions answered. I'm glad in this case you received a prompt response.

Rebecca Sawyer
August 14th, 2018 Atascadero, CA

I was VERY impressed with Ron S. He was the only person to come to my house, and also follow up. Great guy! If we can get our financing dealt with...its a done deal!

Sep 12, 2018

Thank you Rebecca for your review and kind words. I will pass along your compliment to Ron.

Steve Hall
August 13th, 2018 Arroyo Grande, CA DETAILS

Ron gave us honest and accurate information and answered all our questions. He was very professional and informative.

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Steve, Thank you for the review. I'll pass along your kind words to Ron.

Dean Malejan
July 30th, 2018 Arroyo Grande, CA

I am completely satisfied with Solarponics from start to the project completion. Specifically Lawson S walked me through the process at my pace with no pressure, just providing the technical information that I needed for my understanding in a timely manner.

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Dean, Thank you for your kind words and for your business. We hope you will call us again in the future for any new energy management needs. I will let Lawson know he is doing the right things.

Robert Knapp
March 19th, 2018 Atascadero, CA DETAILS

I have had a Solarponics system in operation for the past 12 years, still functioning well, with no need for service calls. I have been pleased with their installation and efficiency. Installation was quick and professional.

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Robert, Thank you for your review. I guess not hearing from you since your install in 2006 is a good thing. We ARE here, though, if you do need anything.

Patty Winkenbach
March 13th, 2018 Avila Beach, CA DETAILS

We had Solarphonics install our solar system (house and pool) in 2005. Here it is 2018 and we are still extremely pleased. Roy was our original contact person and the service was great. Our electric bills run approximately $10 or less per month. Very reliable local company. Highly recommend.

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Patty, Thank you for being a 13-year customer, and thank you for taking the time to review us. Our founder, Mike Emrich instilled the company core values in us; Take care of people and do the right thing. Always. I'll pass along your review to Roy.

robert morris
October 19th, 2017 Atascadero, CA

system installed in 2015 .. working as advertised, bill down from $200.00 per month to $25.000 ... this company in business since 1976 in our area of calif...

Sep 12, 2018

Hi Robert, Thank you for your review. Don't forget to occasionally rinse off your panels to keep production at maximum capacity. Here's a link on how to clean. https://www.solarponics.com/community/clean-solar-panels/