Solar Is Freedom boasts being Midwest's most trusted home solar installer.

Solar Is Freedom is a locally owned and operated company with offices in both Cincinnati, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio; and Louisville, Kentucky. The company prides itself with having roots in these communities, and sincerely cares about the future of the homeowners it serves.

Solar Is Freedom strives to take all the nonsense out of the process and provides consumers with all the information upfront before any level of commitment is necessary. The company wants homeowners to be educated about solar and aims to help them understand the benefits of solar.

The Good

• Free Evaluation Survey
  • Multiple Financing Options
  • High-Quality Solar Inverters
  • NABCEP-Certified

Free Evaluation Survey

Solar Is Freedom offers homeowners a free, no-commitment solar evaluation.

A company representative will personally come to your house, provide you with all the necessary information about solar, and determine if your property can handle a solar system.

Multiple Financing Options

According to the company website, Solar Is Freedom offers several payment options. Homeowners may use cash, financing, or a blended model. If there are any questions, customers are encouraged to call and speak with someone on Solar Is Freedom’s finance team.

High-Quality Solar Inverters

Solar Is Freedom maintains high industry standards regarding its solar installations. The company implements solar inverters from both SolarEdge and Enphase, two industry leaders. Solar inverters are crucial to the success of your home's solar system because they translate the solar energy produced by the panels into usable electricity to power your home. Solar Is Freedom attaches extended in-house warranties on all solar equipment, including inverters.

NABCEP-Certified

Solar Is Freedom has received an accreditation from the North American Board of Certified Energy Providers. This certification sets Solar Is Freedom apart from other companies in terms of adhering to industry best practices.

The Bad

• Missing Panel Information
  • Limited Service Area

Missing Panel Information

While Solar Is Freedom describes the solar panels it uses for each solar installation as Tier-1, the company provides no further details on the manufacturer(s) it has partnered with. Even solar panels marked as Tier-1 can vary in terms of their size, scalability, price per watt, and efficiency. Each of these factors will ultimately inform the overall cost of the system, useful information for customers interested in purchasing the system themselves or financing through a third-party. Providing this information upfront will empower potential customers to make a more informed decision beforehand.

Limited Service Area

Solar Is Freedom currently only offers its services in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.

The Cincinnati office services the greater Cincinnati region (including Southeast Indiana and Northern Kentucky), as well as surrounding counties in Ohio.

The Columbus location services the greater Columbus, Ohio region, including surrounding counties and Dayton.

Lastly, the Louisville location services the greater Louisville area, including Southeast Indiana. This particular location also services central and southern Kentucky (including Frankfort and Lexington).

Although Solar Is Freedom’s service area runs across three states, and the company mentions general areas that are serviced. It would be wise for homeowners to call and ask if their home is within the service area. We recommend making this phone call before filling out the online form.

The Bottom Line

Solar Is Freedom is dedicated to helping homeowners learn more about the benefits of solar and its website provides a decent amount of information. However, the site mainly provides general solar information that isn’t specifically related to the company and its services. While Solar Is Freedom may be a decent choice for those living within the service area, we recommend calling the company and asking about its warranties, payment options, service area, equipment, and more.

Call our recommended rep over at Solar is Freedom below.

5.0

Trish gribbins

August 19th, 2020 Mansfield, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My rep was so patient and knowledgeable he was honest with all the questions I had (I had a Lot) friendly and understanding. This was a great opportunity for me to give back to my environment and have peace of mind in my senior years, it will add more value to my home, it was so easy to do everything was very simple. I’m impressed and it takes a little bit to impress me. My rep jalen J made me feel like I had a partner with Ltd if understanding and knowledge for his business, I feel proud to be a apart of solar is freedoms family. Thank you so much.

Aug 21, 2020

What an excellent review! We are excited for you to take advantage of all the Customer Advocacy Program benefits! Ask Jaylen about the t-shirt give away!

Kerry Ragland

March 24th, 2020 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Solar Is Freedom has done an absolutely phenomenal job! The sales team, installers, and customer support were all super professional and blew us away with the responsiveness and workmanship. I have already recommended them to my parents and neighbors and would highly recommend working with them. They also have opportunities to stay involved with the solar community and came back out to make sure everything we were promised we got. A fantastic company with integrity, that does what they say they are going to do. Already seeing savings after our first bill!

Jun 18, 2020

Thanks for the awesome review! Reach out to your SIF Account Manager with homeowners interested in a solar property evaluation and earn cash back!

Stephen Smith

September 12th, 2020 Mount Vernon, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our family had been casually researching home solar solutions over the past several of years. During late 2019 and early 2020 we took a deeper dive into the subject and we narrowed down our search to three potential vendor options. From these three - we further researched each of them, we received their proposals, and we talked with their respective representatives. Also, during our search journey in early 2020, we discovered some good friends were also looking into solar solutions for their home too. So, we got together with them several times, compared our research information, and collectively narrowed our respective searches down to a couple of potential options. Once we both more thoroughly evaluated the important elements for us (e.g. pricing, financing, products used, warranties, other reviews, ground mount system vs. roof mount system, battery backup solutions, etc.) Solar is Freedom quickly became by far the best option for our family and our friends. Additionally, this summer based upon our research and experiences - we had a family member use Solar is Freedom for their home solar install too. All of us have been delighted with Solar is Freedom and Alex (our Solar is Freedom representative) - our only regret is why we did not undertake our home solar solution installations sooner…?!?!?

Sep 15, 2020

We love to hear it! And we agree! Everyday you don't have solar, you're wasting money!

JACKIE WALTERS

September 10th, 2020 Amelia, OH

Excellent job in installing solar panels and they started working right away. We were on budget billing with our energy company and the amount owed is already paid down. Our bill was only $61.24 this month compared to 3 months ago on the budget billing it was $290.00. I would recommend getting this done WOW!!!

Sep 15, 2020

Thanks for such an outstanding review!

B.J. Kelly

September 4th, 2020 Marysville, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am so happy with Solar is Freedom! Chris was great to work with and was very patient with us. Our electric bills were so high and I'm impressed with how having these solar panels have brought that bill down. Sunny days are even better now! B.J. Kelly

Sep 09, 2020

Thanks for such an awesome review! Chris always does a great job!

brandy kessinger

September 3rd, 2020 Louisville, KY

Our experience has been nothing but great! Shelby K was our representative and she was AMAZING! We’ve been looking to be as self stainable as possible and after talking with her, it was a no brainer that solar is the way to go! She answered all our questions and got us every deal available. We cannot wait for our panels to be installed! Our monthly payments will be less than our electric bills are. This was the best decision we’ve made!

Sep 09, 2020

Shelby is excellent! I hope you are taking advantage of the Customer Advocacy Program!

Sally Ellis

September 1st, 2020 Newark, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Dedicated sales person who was friendly and knowledgeable. Everything was spelled out and easy to understand

Sep 03, 2020

Thanks for the great review!

Aaron Isaacs

August 31st, 2020 La Grange, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I consider Solar is Freedom among the best companies I have had the privilege to purchase from in the past decade! From the initial meeting through the final contract, instillation, and most importantly the follow-up to ensure customer satisfaction; Solar is Freedom has been nothing short of Stellar-5 STAR customer service!.

Sep 03, 2020

Love to hear it! Make sure you take advantage of our Customer Advocacy Program!

Beth B

August 22nd, 2020 Springboro, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We got our solar panels through this company a few years ago and we’ve been happy since. I would say I most appreciate the customer service. They have reached out to us to tell us when our app isn’t working even before we’ve noticed. They either come out to fix it or have walked us through it. I like that when I deal with this company I deal with someone local every time and not a big office in some other state. The product has worked as stated and the process was smooth! I like the app that shows our production and lets us know it’s working.

Aug 24, 2020

Thanks for the outstanding review! Love to hear that our service team is doing so much right!

Melinda Dolack

August 21st, 2020 Louisville, KY

Working with Solar Is Freedom and Karim K were such a pleasure!!! Karim was extremely professional and was able to answer all my concerns and questions. The presentation was so informative but down to earth-explaining the solar questions. When have you been excited about a product??? I am truly excited to go solar!!!

Aug 24, 2020

Thank you so much for the enthusiastic review!! We are also extremely excited for you to see the savings!

Ray Khan

August 20th, 2020 Louisville, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Karim, Adam and the team at Solar is Freedom have been a delight to work with. Flexible with the scheduling, extremely informative, and easygoing despite my numerous questions at all times of the day. Additionally, I am very happy with the panel install and the system to date. Only issue I am having is curbing my constant urge to look at my usage with LG&E online and comparing it to last week, last month etc. Overall very impressed so far by the professionalism and customer service!

Aug 24, 2020

Love hearing this! Our Kentucky team really does it right!

Brian D. Oliver

August 15th, 2020 Bucyrus, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Leaning on the recommendation of a knowledgeable and trusted family member, my wife and I made the big decision to take the plunge, so to speak, and "go solar", using Solar Is Freedom as our company of choice. Our motivation was twofold: 1) Saving money in regards to our electrical energy costs - both now and in the years to come, and; 2) Doing our part to "go green" and help the environment (we previously had a Geothermal heating/cooling system installed). Our 44 solar energy roof-mounted panels (the number of panels required is specifically tailored to your energy usage) were installed in late June of this year, and the entire install job, as well as all electrical work, was completed in just one day! The installers and the electricians were all courteous, friendly, professional, and extremely thorough - when they left, other than our solar panels, one would have never even known they were there! We were, and continue to be, exceptionally satisfied with the job they did for us, and we have immediately begun to realize substantial energy cost savings! Lastly, a huge shout-out to our Sales Associate, Alex H - what a warm, respectful, and genuinely nice individual! From our initial phone contact to our truly fascinating Zoom presentation, to all follow-up texts, calls, emails, etc., Alex has cheerfully and expertly answered any and all of our questions and concerns, and has let us know emphatically that he is always just a phone call away! He has truly helped make this solar energy endeavor a remarkably pleasant, interesting, and positive experience! The fun factor is enhanced even more by accessing their app on our phone to track our daily/weekly/monthly solar production! To sum everything up, our experience with the Solar Is Freedom company has been nothing short of excellent, and I would enthusiastically and unequivocally recommend them for being your company of choice as well, if you decide, as we did, to "go solar!" Brian and Becky Oliver Bucyrus, Ohio

Aug 20, 2020

Wow! What a phenomenal review! Thank you for your excellent feedback! Alex always does a great job!

John G

August 15th, 2020 Hamilton, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Would recommend!! No gimmicks like other companies do!! Jake and the whole company is great. I have referred other homeowners that also had great experiences throughout and after the installation. I am going on three years now and feel great about my decision daily!! My electric bill before the installation has seen over $600 in months. Now the highest is $200 and many months I get bills that the electric company owes me up to $100 or more

Aug 20, 2020

Really like the "No gimmicks" feedback! We always recommend exactly what we would want on our homes!

Glenn Geiger

August 13th, 2020 Middletown, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very professional and non pressure. Looked at several companies and decided on them. Patrick was our salesman and the install crew of will and Tre were great. Absolutely no regrets and would recommend to everyone. My 36 panel system is working for us!

Aug 13, 2020

Awesome review! Pat, Will and Tre are always do a great job!

Phil

August 7th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We’ve had a great experience with Solar is Freedom! Our sales specialist, Chris Simmons, was very friendly, super responsive, and explained each and every detail of the installation process. We produced nearly 2x more electricity than we used for the month of June! That was with a good mix of sun and clouds. Even on mainly cloudy days, we are producing about as much electricity as we typically use in a 24 hour period. The great reviews, friendly sales staff, and impressive parts and labor warranty are why we chose Solar is Freedom out of Columbus. Very pleased thus far!

Aug 11, 2020

What an awesome review! Make sure Chris helps you get into the Customer Advocacy Program! We have t-shirt give away coming up!

Dustin Bishop

July 24th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a great experience working with Solar is Freedom and have enjoyed all our interactions with them. We are SO happy with our solar panels, and glad to be doing our part to help combat global warming!

Aug 11, 2020

We love to hear that! And we appreciate both your support of SIF and of the environment! Reach out to your Account Manager about the Customer Advocacy Program and future ways to help lead the way into a cleaner future!

Rona Rose

July 21st, 2020 Hamtramck, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I did my solar panel in 2019 and I am totally satisfied with the services of "Solar is freedom" company. They are knowledgeable, proactive and always come back to you in case of any question. They are quick to install and patient to explain the ins-and-outs of solar system, how it works and what are the benefits. Their cost ratio per kwh is the lowest and thus best in the whole Ohio region. Another company in the market like "Power home" is twice expensive as "Solar is Freedom". I have secured my house for the best by bringing my electrical bill by net metering practically to nothing. More over, I have 30% of my total cost of the solar project deducted from my TAXES! I am happy the idea to install the solar panels on my roof came to me before I actually retire, so I can spend my retirement time with peace at my heart: the more sunshine, the less is my power bill! Go for "Solar is freedom" and kill that bill!

Aug 11, 2020

What an awesome review! Make sure your Account Manager helps you get into the Customer Advocacy Program! We have t-shirt give away coming up! We appreciate your business and appreciate you sharing your tax credit experience!

Betty J. Mitchell

July 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am a problematic client who needed a lot of assistance with the process. That assistance was consistently given until the entire process was complete.

Aug 11, 2020

What an awesome review! We like it when our customers join the SIF family and have high expectations of us! Make sure your Account Manager helps you get into the Customer Advocacy Program! We have t-shirt give away coming up!

Dani

July 6th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service, comprehensive warranty, quality materials

Tina McClintock

July 6th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They were able to get my system up and going fast. Installed over a year ago. Greg L has checked in periodically to make sure my system is meeting my expectations and so far it has exceeded them! Everything that was presented to me about the company, their responsiveness, and my system have shown true and I have yet to owe anything to Duke in over a year!

Aug 12, 2020

What an excellent review! Greg Leksan does a great job!

Amit Godbole

July 1st, 2020 Mason, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Professional service, quick turn around and competitive cost

Aug 11, 2020

Thanks for the outstanding review!

Patty Harrison

July 1st, 2020 Williamsburg, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They were wonderful to work with each step of the way. Evan's presentation was informative and his response time was fast whenever I had a question.

Aug 11, 2020

Thanks for the excellent review! Evan does a great job! Be sure to ask him about our Customer Advocacy Program!

Allison Fagan

June 23rd, 2020 Galena, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have been responsive and professional, especially our consultant Brian B

Aug 11, 2020

We hear this about Brian all the time! Thanks for the great vote of confidence! Ask him about our Customer Advocacy Program if you haven't already!

Cheryl Leksan

June 16th, 2020 West Chester, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Professionalism, high quality service and products, very knowledgeable, responsive

Adam

June 16th, 2020 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I worked with Hugh Schmelzer and from the initial consultation to the final project was all amazing. There was no surprises or hidden cost every single team member was friendly and respectful of my house AND my time. They are local and quality of large company. I would highly recommend this company to anyone!!!!

Jun 18, 2020

Thanks for the awesome review! Reach out to Hugh with homeowners interested in a solar property evaluation and earn cash back!

Sherri and Barry Beckett

June 16th, 2020 Williamsburg, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have excellent customer service, are personable and knowledgeable!

Tim Werling

June 16th, 2020 West Chester, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Workers were on time, very professional courteous excellent work done & they cleaned up afterwards.

Danielle Mann

June 16th, 2020 Oxford, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Jordan B. and crew have been great to work with-- responsive, respectful, and helpful.

Melissa Walker

June 16th, 2020 Lebanon, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Knowledgeable and friendly. The installation went very smooth and clean

David R.Truett

June 16th, 2020 Hamilton, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great people, will go out of there way to help. Very happy with my solar.

Chris

June 16th, 2020 Columbus, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent Customer Service Kind, honest and helpful

Holly Strobl

June 16th, 2020 Grove City, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Timely sale, installation, and follow up.

Parker Taul

June 16th, 2020 Lexington, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Professional and courteous crew they were fast and efficient.

Mike Rockas

June 16th, 2020 Harrodsburg, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Every thing we were told and promised by you was delivered.

Nathan Bellows

June 16th, 2020 Louisville, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Adam H with Solar is Freedom offers wonderful and informative service! They have quality equipment, they took care of the permitting, and it was a smooth installation! They come highly recommended by me and I bring it up in conversation quite often!

Ashton Taylor

June 10th, 2020 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Solar is Freedom has a lot of great guarantees for the consumer and they are very easy to work with.

Clayton

April 21st, 2020 Cleveland, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were interested in solar and eventually settled on Solar Is Freedom. Brian B was my salesman and he did a fantastic job explaining the whole process and answered all of our questions. I never felt pressured at all and he waited patiently until we made our decision. One of the most surprising aspects was that when I told him we wanted to get other quotes, not only was he understanding about it, he actually encouraged it. All of the companies we spoke to were very close in price and they all seemed to use the same components so for me it was a no brainer to pick the company with whom I felt the most comfortable. That being said, Brian was head and shoulders above all the other salesmen I spoke to. Once the sale was made, his support didn’t stop there. He kept me informed with weekly calls and updates on everything that was happening. Once the install date came, I was very pleased with the crew that came out. They were all very professional, clean and once they left; there was no sign they had even been there. The electrician (who’s name escapes me) did a fantastic job. He actually Recommended an alternative to mounting the inverter outside and instead moved it inside my barn. This gave me a much cleaner looking install and I couldn’t have been happier. It has only been about a month since our system was installed, but so far it’s doing great. We’re already seeing the benefits and saving money.

Walter Middleton

April 17th, 2020 Columbus, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had spoken with and had a couple of solar companies come into my home to speak with me and to evaluate the rooftop in my attempt to go solar. While the companies were all good with the exception of one, which I won't mention, Solar is Freedom had the best deal and customer service. I am the type of person that needs details to be explained to me. I ask questions and check out the answers if they don't fit my understanding. Brian at Solar is Freedom was quick with good answers and just as quick to tell me if he didn't know, then follow up later with an answer for me. Overall, I have zero complaints. The sales pitch, cost, the installation, and service have been top notch!

Stirling Shelton

March 30th, 2020 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Evan and his team has been wonderful through out the entire project. From helping explain the entire process to guiding me thru the software. Every tradesmen who work on and in my house was professional and answered all my question. And I had a lot. Thanks for a great Solar Panel system.

kari lindberg

March 26th, 2020 Columbus, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had panels installed in winter of 2019 (been a little cloudy so won't see BIG savings till spring and summer). They have been a great company to work with. Very professional! Brian was my point of contact and was one of the reasons i picked Solar is Freedom. He knew his subject and kept me up to date on what was happening and when. The installers were also very professional. Fast-neat and very efficient. Glad I picked them.

Jeff Hutchinson

March 25th, 2020 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

From start to finish, I have been impressed by the professionalism and communication that we have experienced as we discerned the best way forward for our project, as they moved through the installation phase, and in their follow-up to ensure our satisfaction.

Anthony Bush

March 23rd, 2020 Newark, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Solar is Freedom is hands down the right choice. From the moment Sales rep came to our house to discuss us getting solar we felt comfortable. Very thorough, and just down to earth. Their price was far better than any other offered we looked at. From moment installation started to finish all the team was awesome. Could not be more happy with the service and would recommend them to anyone.

Stephanie Cherry

March 23rd, 2020 Philadelphia, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We met with Solar is Freedom at the home show. After talking to them, we had them out for our engineering survey. Throughout the process they have been very informative. They never over hype what they can do and made us feel very comfortable with the process. Our Sales rep, Evan is great to work with.

Shane Costello

March 23rd, 2020 Piqua, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a 33 panel solar array installed by Solar is Freedom and I couldn’t be happier with the results. Our contact Evan D. was extremely patient with my wife and I while we contemplated making the decision to go solar or not. He came out multiple times to our home and presented the benefits and cons to the whole process in a concise and easily understood manner. The installers also did a great job. We hardly even knew they were there During installation. It went seamlessly and they cleaned up after themselves. The first bill was a pleasant surprise as we actually made more energy than we consumed and got a $10 credit on our electric bill. That was even better than expected for the capabilities of our system. Overall I’m very happy we went solar and used Solar is Freedom as our installer. Would recommend them 100 times over to anyone interested. Ask for Evan when you call.

Janice Evans

March 21st, 2020 Grove City, OH

Solar is freedom is a local company. Alex H. Sales consultant was great at addressing all my concerns. Explained the benefits of solar, companies warranties and services offered by the company. Step by step how installation would go. Installers done a great job! Ed. Evans

Mark Kelly

March 21st, 2020 Mount Vernon, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We started investigating solar in mid-December with no knowledge of solar and little commitment that we'd go forward. Chris S knew that when he first met with us. He is great...a conversation and no pressure! He returned in early January with a proposal...that's when I started my calls for references and more investigations. We decided that we liked the savings on our electric bill that solar offers and trusted Chris to provide us what they proposed. Installation was very professional and diligent. Our electric supplier installed our reversing meter the first morning that we were ready to go! I'm addicted to the app that monitors our solar production and now I've found myself looking outside, guessing our wattage from looking at the sky...and comparing my guess to the app's production stats. Bottom line...Solar is Freedom is as professional a company as you'd wish to deal with.

Donald Myers

March 21st, 2020 Brookville, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Solar is Freedom is hands down the right choice. From the moment Evan D (Sales rep) came to our house to discuss us getting solar we felt comfortable. Very thorough, and just down to earth. Their price was far better than any other offered we looked at. From moment installation started to finish all the team was awesome. Could not be more happy with the service and of course the results each sunny day.

Andrew Rohrbach

March 18th, 2020 Germantown, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a solar system installed by Solar Is Freedom. They are a great company! Our salesman was Evan D, he not only did a great job presenting the solar plan for our home, every one is different based on your needs, he even suggested that some of our money would be better spent replacing our 22 year old central air system to lower our electric usage. A great idea that we took advantage of. He could have just sold us enough panels to cover all our bill, but Evan saw an opportunity to help us in two ways. All the installers were great as well. Very friendly and knowledgeable. They answered all my questions as well as friends who stopped by to watch the installation. I highly recommend Solar Is Freedom, they look at the whole picture and give you the best advice for your situation. Plus they were half the price of the other estimate we got for a solar system for our home. Andrew Rohrbach Sr.

Louie R

March 18th, 2020 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Evan was great! He made everything Very clear and easy to understand. The installation was smooth and everything was completed very quickly. The panels work amazing and I have had no interruption in service. I highly recommend using this company and going through Evan!

Colin Niemeier

March 18th, 2020 Cumberland, RI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We decided to go with Solar Is Freedom, for the main reasons of very effective power production, competitive cost and high-quality materials backed up with a full 25-year service warranty including parts and labor. Alex H, Sales Consultant; and Jake T, Sales Manager; were very knowledgeable, friendly and put no pressure on the outcome. They explained the long-term advantages of solar production, addressed all questions and concerns, and were happy to pursue the variance application with our HOA Architectural Review Committee (ARC) and building permit with the city. We love the fact we are saving money and doing our part to positively affect our environment too. As the cost of power continues to increase, our solar production will become even more valuable.