Skyline Solar

6.0

Skyline Solar's ultimate mission is to create sustainable independence by empowering people. With truly humble beginnings (having started in an unfinished basement), cofounders Scott Knudsen and Kyle Larsen decided to start their own solar company after years in the solar industry.

Skyline Solar strives to make a drastic change in the community. Skyline has even teamed up with local tree farms donating its time, energy, and resources to plant trees – aiming to eliminate the harmful pollution that plagues the planet. For every solar installation Skyline Solar completes, its team will plant two trees near that community.

The Good

• Simple Process
  • Incentives
  • Refer-a-Friend Program
  • NABCEP-Certified Designers
  • Quality Materials

Simple Process

Something homeowners might appreciate about Skyline Solar is the company's dedication to providing customized service to their unique needs. When you first meet with a company representative, they will look at your current power usage. This will help Skyline Solar determine the exact size of your solar PV system and how many solar panels you will need based on your home and energy consumption.

After assessing the size and number of panels needed, the company will install your panels. As a full-service solar company, Skyline Solar doesn't make clients work with a third-party installer. Instead, clients work with trained installers who work directly with the company.

Once the solar panels are installed, Skyline will set up net metering. A net metering agreement allows homeowners to connect their current power grid with the solar panels and earn credits when the panels overproduce. Net metering helps homeowners avoid the high cost of a solar battery and power during the winter months when the sunshine is limited.

Incentives

There are a number of benefits to signing up with Skyline Solar.

The first incentive is a free national park pass. Even if you don't end up choosing Skyline Solar as your solar provider, the company will gift you a free one-week national park pass.

The second incentive Skyline mentions is the tax incentives that come with going green. There is a federal solar tax credit, also known as the investment tax credit or ITC. This allows homeowners to deduct 26 percent of the cost of installing a solar system from your federal taxes. Additionally, the ITC applies to residential and commercial systems, and there is no cap on its value.

However, it is important to know that signing a lease or a PPA with a solar installer means you are not eligible for the tax credit (since you are not the owner of the system).

Another incentive that Skyline Solar offers (for a limited time) is the Ecobee4 Smart Wifi Thermostat with any solar panel purchase.

Refer-a-Friend Program

Skyline Solar allows its clients to earn some extra cash. Homeowners with Skyline can refer their family or friends and for every referee who signs up earns you a $250 Visa Gift Card.

NABCEP-Certified Designers

Skyline Solar employs designers who have been certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Producers (NABCEP), an industry-recognized organization and standard-bearer for best renewably energy practices. Once the system has been designed up to code, Skyline Solar's consultants will educate customers on the ins and outs of solar energy, energy costs, and any other questions they may have.

Quality Materials

Skyline Solar offers some of the best solar panels, inverters, and mounting materials in the industry. Its Tier 1 solar equipment includes the following:

• LG solar panels and Hanwha Q Cells
  • SolarEdge solar inverters
  • IronRidge racking equipment

In addition to industry-leading equipment and know-how, Skyline Solar provides versatile solar setups that are tailored specifically to system requirements and customer input. The company not only specializes in ground-mounted systems, but can also safely mount its solar panels to almost any type of roof — including clay tiles.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Information
  • No FAQ Page

Undisclosed Information

While Skyline Solar's website contains a fair amount of information, a few things are missing that we think would help consumers decide on whether or not Skyline Solar is right for them. The first thing we noticed is that there is no clear service area. Skyline Solar is headquartered in Pleasant Grove, Utah, but it is unclear how far its service area reaches. This information is important because many homeowners will only want to speak with a company that services their area and not spend time talking with a company that can't help them.

The second thing we would have liked to see on the site is more information about financing. Skyline Solar briefly mentions that clients can pay zero down, and it will take care of the upfront costs. However, that's all there is. It would be nice to know more about Skyline Solar's loans and if it offers solar leases or PPAs.

No FAQ Page

Unfortunately, Skyline Solar does not have a frequently asked questions page on its website. While this may not be a problem for some consumers, others will be frustrated with the lack of detailed information Skyline Solar provides. A FAQ page is an excellent way to collect all the questions someone might have and put them in one place. This not only makes life easier for the consumer, but it saves the company time and resources (since there won't be as many emails asking common questions).

It would be helpful for Skyline Solar to include the following information:

• How do you know if a home is a good candidate for solar panels?
  • What happens if the client sells their home?
  • How long does it take for Skyline to install a solar system?
  • How soon can homeowners expect to see results after switching to solar?
  • Does the company offer financing?

The Bottom Line

Skyline Solar is a young solar company and fairly new to the industry. However, the company has made great strides in making a name for itself. Skyline Solar is a full-service solar provider that doesn't outsource to third-party installers. Instead, clients can expect to only work with Skyline Solar employees. The company offers a number of incentives (such as tax breaks, a smart home thermostat, and a pass for a free week at a national park), and there is a 25-year manufacturer warranty.

However, we recommend that potential customers do some thorough research before signing up with Skyline. There isn't much information regarding the company's service area, installation timeframe, and financing options.

Josh Cheyenne, WY

Local company based out of Utah. I had a good experience talking with the sales team and that only continued the further I worked with them. They are reachable by phone when I have questions. Installation crew was good. It was a good experience from start to finish. I have a few hailstorms since I’ve had it and the material seems to hold up just fine. I don’t have any hesitations with them.

Thomas

Skyline had solar panels on my mom’s house and I was really impressed with them so I decided to have it done on my house as well. Installing it went smoothly. The people that came out to put the panels on the rood were very nice and quick. I had to wait a few days for the city to get things done. Everybody was polite, courteous, and professional. It does what they said it would do.

Laurie

I really wanted to rate Skyline Solar higher but I did not have a great experience with the company. There were frustrating communication issues after the initial installation of our solar panels that caused delays in getting our system online and functioning. The delays were primarily due to project management staff turnover resulting in new project managers handling our installation and monitoring process. Case in point: after our system was installed and supposedly online, we found out that it was not producing power when we got our electric bill a month after the electric company came out and installed the net meter. We had no way of knowing this because we had not been given access to the monitoring portal by our project manager. During this time our (2nd) project manager left the company and no one apparently knew we were having issues. I had to contact the owner to find out what was going on. After I contacted him he got the ball rolling again for us, and their crew came out a few days later to investigate the issue. Turned out that the wiring that was installed to connect the system to the house was not completely connected properly. There was arcing that caused the wires to melt! This was a fire hazard, but thank goodness it caused the circuit breakers for the system to trip. So in summary, while I'm very happy to finally have our system functioning properly, it took 6 months from installation in early March before our system was actually producing power in early September. I do appreciate the fact that the owner was very responsive and the company reimbursed us for the monthly financing payments on the solar panels for the 6 months that we were paying on them while they were not producing. However, because of the delays due to poor communication and project staff turnover, I cannot give the company a high rating.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Laurie thanks for your honesty it has provided us an opportunity to create a better process around the things you have experienced! We look forward to serving you for a really long time and hope you continue to trust us to solve any problems that may arise! Thanks for being apart of the SKYFAM :)

Jesse Ogden, UT

They were extremely helpful in the learning process, as well as keeping me informed throughout the entire installation process etc. I was able to get a good deal due to government kickback on my taxes, but even without those I would have enjoyed working with Skyline Solar.

Richard Grand Junction, CO

They are very prompt and show up when they are supposed to. They did a nice job. It seems to have worked out much better than trying to go with the local guys. Everything has worked out really well. There is room to improve. They did misjudge one of the holes and cut into the bathroom wall but they were really good about and sent out a special crew and fixed the hole in time.

Terry Cheyenne, WY

It's been pretty good. It's been efficient and great since I've had it. But for some reason it turned off about three or four days ago. They checked it and couldn't figure out what was going on so they are sending a technician out. They worked quick and efficient in putting it up. I got it in 2018 and it's worked great until now.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Thanks Terry! Way to keep an eye on it and let us know you noticed something.

Anonymous Grand Junction, CO

They are very trustworthy. There haven’t been any problems that they haven’t taken care of immediately. Installing it went very quickly and thoroughly. They were in and out in three quarters of a day. We’ve been totally free of all electric bills since we’ve installed it.

Aryelle Peyton, CO

Covid kind of slowed things down but I am really impressed with the people that work on my project, they are really helpful. I appreciate that they answer all my questions and keep me informed. They are really thorough. It is going as scheduled. It looks really professional. It looks good and new and clean.

David Cheyenne, WY

It works great. I did not have to shop around because they knocked on my door. They told me they would pay for the first six months and I had to pound them to get them to pay for the first six months. They only paid the first five months of my solar bill. They scheduled the installation and came out and did it how I asked them to do it. It looks really good. It is very professional looking.

Pat Cheyenne, WY

They came out and made sure their solar panels were going to work with my house, to see if it was compatible with the electrical box. They knew our concerns with hail storms and made sure there was not going to be damage. It saves us a lot of money on the electric bill. We went from 200 dollars down to thirty five a month.

Bill Colorado Springs, CO

They did everything they said they would do. Installation happened exactly as they said it wourl happen. They did a nice job and it was very quick. It is working great. It has withstood a couple of very serious hail storms with no problems.

Darin Pueblo, CO

I would like to add a battery pack for my system but the price for the batteries is not very good at this time so I am waiting on an offer. I’ve had the system for quite a while and I have had any issues with it. Installation went very well.

William Fruita, CO

The door to door presentation was good and it sounded reasonable. It has gone smoothly except the inverter failed after year and half but I have a twenty five year warranty. So far it has been 2 1/2 weeks without solar power, waiting on a replacement inverter. I thought they were doing active monitoring on the health of the system, but it took me noticing that the system had failed 3 days after the event to get the repairs started.

Jose Herrera Garnica

They care about the customer. Very good communication at the time of installation of the equipment and the mobile app to monitor the production of the solar panels I think is very good.

John Salt Lake City, UT

The workers are very courteous and allowed me to see what they were doing. The biggest problem with the whole incident was the long wait for the power company to come out and read the meter.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Thanks John! Ya we hate waiting on the utilities to do their jobs to. Sometimes one of the biggest hoops to jump through is working with them. Glad you are up in running!

Daniel Grand Junction, CO

Every time I’ve had any kind of issue or question, it’s always been dealt with quickly. They were here for two days installing it and then they were done. I’ve been happy with everything they’ve done for me.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Right on Daniel! Glad you had an amazing experience :)

Leroy Grand Junction, CO

All through the process, from the very beginning to the installation, the updates were great. Installation was extremely smooth. They got done before I was expecting so really the whole thing was great.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Thanks Leroy we love making it as smooth as possible to go solar!

Scott Grand Junction, CO

They were friendly and the service was great. We were satisfied with the installation and the biggest reason was because they cleaned up after themselves. The first person we talked to gave us a different price than the second person.

Thanks so much Scott!

Edward Glenwood Springs, CO

The panels are performing as they should, it’s performing as advertised. The installing crew was really excellent. They did a really good job. It was very quick. They did it in one day.

Freeman Penrose, CO

Even though we ran into some issues, they did everything they could do to remedy as quickly as possible. We like Kyle and his partner. We felt they were honest and they did a thorough job for us.

Jeff Grand Junction, CO

I had heard a lot of good things about SkyLine Solar and they are really good other than that they are sometimes hard to get a hold of. Installation went very smoothly. They are very professional and made all of their appointment. I’m very happy. Everything seems to work as it should, though I am no expert.

nohely corrales Colorado Springs, CO

I have always wanted solars panels especially on our first home . My husband had been the one to always be on edge about them, but after talking to Joe in Colorado Springs he was all for it . Joe was amazing in educating us and always checked in with the process even after we were all up and running . We only pay 56 a month for them with a 14 dollar bill with Colorado Springs utilities. Looking forward to having these paid off so we can pay 14 dollars from then on . The install process along with the permits did not take as long as we had all anticipated. The system is amazing and so is the new app to track how much energy is generated .

Patrick Fruita, CO

The installation process went fine. The gentleman that was representing us originally, he had told the staff that wasn't necessarily true. I'm actually dealing with the co-owner now got get it and I think we actually got a system put in where we can actuallly read it from our phone. Originally they weren't going to give it to us in the very first consultation with the gentleman on the phone. He said we would automatically get it as part of the service but then it didn't come with the service, it was something that we were supposed to purchase afterwards.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Thanks Patrick for working with us to better your situation! We look forward to serving you for a very long time!

Douglas Pueblo, CO

They got all the permits and everything done. It worked out quite well for me. I would definitely recommend them. They explained everything and weren’t push.

Shannon Grand Junction, CO

Everything went well. They seem to be very professional and informative. They made sure everything was working before they left installation and I’ve not had any issues with it.

John Florence, CO

I’m impressed with customer service except the guy they sent for installation did the wiring incorrectly and they had to send somebody else to reinstall it and they did a fairly good job. My electric bill is not down.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Hey John thanks for the feedback! If your electric bill is not down I would recommend you call in. There could be couple things going on potentially. 1) There may have not been enough time passed with solar production to build up enough credits with your utility or 2) something needs to be troubleshooted on your system. 855-475-9765 and you can ask for the project manager in your area to do an analysis for you!

Ana Cheyenne, WY

I don’t think I got a fair price because the way the sales people address customers is a little aggressive. They should allow customers to shop around to be more informed. It works well.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Hey Ana i'm glad your system is working well! Grateful you made the choice to join the SkyFam! I know you will receive the value from us that you paid for that will result in thousands of savings over the years. I'd welcome a phone conversation to learn more about how you felt one of our sales staff was a little aggressive, that way I can provide him or her with additional customer service training. Feel free to call in and ask for me! 855-475-9765

Garrett Mumma Fort Collins, CO

Fast, reliable service at a good price. Always there to thoroughly explain everything, from the beginning of the process to the present day.

Rob Felts

The equipment seems to be handling all of our storms and everything. They were super helpful and answered all my questions and are always available.

Sean

They don't tell you that the loan for the solar puts a line on your home when you try to refinance it. Plus the tax credit is not all in one lump sum it is spread out over 2 years.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Hey Sean thanks for your feedback! I just wanted to share a few things that may help you out. The loan company puts a UCC-1 fixture filing on the home which is different than a lien because its only the system that they use for collateral not your home. Some refi companies aren't familiar with them and whoever you used to finance your system through us can temporarily remove it while in a refinance if you need them to. As far as the tax credit goes, depending on your tax liability that could take a few years or as quick as 1 year to get back. It all depends on how much you pay in income tax. Hope that helps. Call us if you ever need any help we are here for you!

Eliseo Evans, CO

Installation seems to have gone well. It’s working. They did tell I would get money get back from the government but I keep waiting for it.

James Grand Junction, CO

Installation was timely and thorough. Everything went smoothly. They did what they said they would do.

Ken Williams Cheyenne, WY

I would never let this Company, do anything in Wyoming they undersize the systems it's abate and switch in my opinion. I worked with them for Seven Months trying to resolve the problems in my opinion they drop the ball a lot I made 55 phone calls and sent a lot of emails they even paid my overages for 5 months knowing there was a problem in the system they had installed spoke to Scott their CEO listen to this we paid 34.000 dollars and only got 65% covered then they said after 7 months you need more panels and to get you what we promised you it's another 16.000 lol So I called 3 other companies to come out everyone said they sold you an undersized system keep in mind Skyline was only going to get us 100% for that price and all other Bids we got where for 125% coverage and 47 panels instead of the 30-panel system for the Same price, in my opinion, go Local in Wyoming I would not recommend these guys to fix a dog house lol All they have is excuses not results I hope this helps another Family SHAME ON THIS COMPANY THAT MY OPINION.

Michael Lehi, UT

Everything is good. I’ve not a problem with them. they installed it and it was really easy.

James Lehi, UT

Problems with installation, calling and calling and calling and not able to get help for over a month before a manager got back with me. Now it's up and running and we were told that it would cover 100% of our electric usage... NOT!!! Contacted them to see why we were only producing a fraction of what was promised and they said 50% is actually the magic number. Never been so disappointed.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Hi James we are always here to help! December is a rough month to base the output of the system since the sun hours are so low. However, to ensure your system is pacing for the right annual number our Project Mangers can look that up and make sure you are on pace for the year. You will get the majority of your credits to offset you bill in Spring, Summer and early Fall. Our number is 855-475-9765 option 1. Call anytime!

Dec. 28th, 2020

Collette lee Cañon City, CO

The main office has not followed thru with the promises made. Have contacted them several times about the roof leaking. The workers and support staff here in Colorado are great. But the main office has not been supportive.

Dan Spykstra Grand Junction, CO

They communicated well, followed up on everything and did the work timely.

Kathleen Cheyenne, WY

They were nice and explained everything and have been good to us.

Thanks Kathleen!

Anonymous Pueblo, CO

Seems really good. They are good about responding to things. It was very simple to install.

Ed Clifton, CO

Installation went quick and good. I haven’t had any problems with it.

alisa radice Grand Junction, CO

they were professional, pleasant, and so far so good with my solar panels

Diane Ganz Colorado Springs, CO

Service. Kept us informed in the installation process. Excellent product.

Misty Williams Rifle, CO

The whole process was very easy and they were very easy to communicate with.

Rosa Florence, CO

communications were good. Everything they said they would do they did in a timely manner.

James Colorado Springs, CO

Working with these folks is great. Installation was great and the system works.

Gary King

They answered all my questions Even after the panels had been installed For months

Steve Douglas, WY

This system relies on a connection through YOUR internet connection that you pay for and sends the information gathered to China. It is an open hole to the your network just to monitor the system and since its a micro-inverter may not even work UNLESS it's "connected" to China. Find one that has onsite monitoring only. Additionally, the system installed on my home is only outputting about 10% of capacity. Unfortunately I did not do due diligence in researching efficiency , usability and system access risk. Go with a better explained, less "foreign" system.

Amy Leibli Cañon City, CO

Help is usually prompt when an issue arises with system. Install was easy, hardest part was dealing with electric company to transfer over.

Leslie

The price of panels is high. Our benefit from xcel is low and when we talked to our realtor about them she said we'd never recoup the cost.

Reply from Skyline Solar

Leslie, sorry you haven't felt like you have received the benefit quite yet. I do know that it takes about a year to build up credits from the utility to fully offset your consumption with solar. I would recommend calling in if you want to make sure your production is on point. 855-475-9765. In regards to your relator. We just had a customer get an appraisal on their home and they got dollar for dollar what they had purchased the system for a year ago before tax credits! What this means is they haven't even paid more than $900 in energy payments and have increased the value of their home that much and received a 30% tax credit all for just switching the way they buy energy. This customer told us they requested an appraiser who has experience with solar. Let us know if you need anything! We are here to help :)

Monte Axtell Penrose, CO

Professional service and care for their customer.