**NRG Home Solar is no longer performing new installations. The information in this review may now be inaccurate or out of date. We recommend researching other top solar companies in your area.**

NRG Home Solar offers solar solutions to homeowners in 3 states and currently maintains 15 utility-scale solar projects, including sports stadiums and university campuses. NRG has loan, lease, ppa, and purchasing offers, which enable customers to take advantage of no upfront costs and free installation.

#1 SunPower chevron_right
#2 Zenernet chevron_right
#3 Solar Optimum chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• Lease with Free Installation
  • Performance Guarantee
  • System Monitoring

Lease with Free Installation

NRG Home Solar offers a 20 year leasing option. Leasing a solar system means that either NRG Home Solar or a third party will own the system and you will make monthly payments to them as if you are renting the system. This is a great option for consumers who do not have a lot of cash on hand but would like to take advantage of the savings associated with solar energy conversion. NRG Home Solar will install the system for free. After that, monthly lease payments will generally be lower than standard monthly utility payments (depending on factors such as location, electricity usage, utility rates, and system production). At the end of the leasing period, NRG gives its customers the choice to either remove the system at no cost, extend the agreement for another five years, or purchase the system at a reasonable rate.

Performance Guarantee

After designing each system, NRG Home Solar will give the customer a quote stating the amount of power the system should generate and add this to the service agreement. If at any time the system produces less than the quoted amount, NRG Home Solar will refund the customer the difference.

System Monitoring

NRG Home Solar monitors each customer's system 24/7 and will notify the customer if there are any issues. NRG also offers a mobile app and online monitoring service that allows customers to monitor their system's energy production and consumption on their own from anywhere in the world. This empowers customers to stay on top of their monthly savings.

The Bad

• Strict Credit Score Requirement
  • Poor Customer Service
  • Limited Online Information

Strict Credit Score Requirement

NRG Home Solar requires an Experian credit score of 700 or higher, while most companies in the industry only require a score of 650. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it does exclude a large number of potential customers from going solar with NRG.

Poor Customer Service

Based on reviews we've received for NRG Home Solar, those who have signed a lease with NRG have been quite upset with the company's customer service. Many customers have stated they had delays with the installation. Additionally, several negative reviews on our site mention NRG's lack of responsiveness to customers' questions and concerns.

Limited Online Information

Lastly, we noticed a lack of transparency in regards to specific details of the lease contract and the equipment used on the NRG website. This information is important for potential customers who are planning to lease a solar system for the next 20 years, so the lack thereof is frustrating.

The Bottom Line

NRG Home Solar offers its services in 3 states: New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts. The company offers a 20-year leasing agreement that enables them to install the system for $0 and provide customers with an energy production guarantee, as well as 24/7 monitoring. NRG Home Solar also has a solar monitoring app and online portal, giving customers access to system information at all times. If customers live in NRG's service area (3 states) and are interested in signing a 20-year lease, NRG Home Solar is a viable option. With 24/7 monitoring, a production guarantee and a mobile monitoring app, NRG Home Solar earns a fairly high score. However, with reports of poor customer service and a general lack of pertinent information on the company's website, customers may want to take a look at the user reviews below before making a final decision.

View Best Solar Companies

1.9

Deborah Chambers

March 3rd, 2020 Merrick, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Installation was on time and fast. NRG installed the panels without notifying me that my roof needed to be replace. When I had to replace the roof, I also had to pay another company to uninstall the panels, that was my fault, I should have known you can't get something for nothing. This was a no expense program and I should have asked more questions. Also while the panels were removed the bill for that month increased. If the panels were not connected how did the bill increase. Customer service did not return my calls, but continue to send info online. Let the buyer beware, check all reviews.

Martin T Warfel

September 30th, 2019 Trenton, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company deserves all the negative reviews. I regret the day I made a decision to do business with them. I now pay more than I have ever paid for electricity and I'm stuck with a roof full of panels and a 20 year lease agreement with 18 years left. I still think solar is good for the country - just don't try it with this company.

George Nicoloff

August 6th, 2019 Buffalo, NY

I'm in the beginning of my installation. So far, everything seems good. I like the parameter's of our agreement and the backup power stored. It will be great when my roof starts making money for me. Hoping for the best. Another review will be added as things progress. I cancelled my contract with NRG after reading many bad reviews of them.

John Richards

May 29th, 2019 Lodi, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Folks do not listen to the ones that can't believe all the bad reviews and then go on to tell you they had a great experience and love working with NRG. The first year my service was great but then panels started to fail and NRG refused to fix them saying I was producing enough power per our agreement. Why am I paying for 44 panels if 42 panels is all I need to get the job done. After the first year I had produced a surplus of power and that's what I was promised, but the second year and every year after that I have had to pay PG&E several hundred to over a thousand dollars to make up what the panels aren't producing. I have had the system now for 6 years and every year except for the first I have argued several times a year with NRG about coming out to fix under producing panels or dead panels. Do not get involved with this company they do not care and do not respond in a timely matter.

lillian gonzalez

May 23rd, 2019 Bethpage, NY

dont do business with this company, they put holes in my ceiling when installing the solar panels , it took 2 months for them to come out and fix my roof then 2 weeks later the roof leaked again in the same area ,they dont return calls , and they will not work with you t , i had a roofer come out on my own expense and they told me this is a wrong roof to put panels in it was not strong enough so beware this is a rotton company and they take advantage of old people

TimfromWorcester

May 16th, 2019 Northborough, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Community solar. No savings, just an extra bill every month! Won't allow me to cancel my contract. Total rip-off. Should be illegal!

Jackie Stein

April 26th, 2019 Worcester, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

NRG is now Clearway Community Solar from Texas and Oregon. I was scammed by two people who came to my door and promised a reduction in my electric bills from their solar panel farm in Leicester. The contract indicated the average customer would save $600. over a 20 year period. Within 6 months I paid more than $600. over the same time last year without solar credits. Because I can't cancel I'm now over $1000. paying their fees. When I call they "transfer me" and hang up. BEWARE....It's a scam!

Anna O

April 22nd, 2019 Wappingers Falls, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could say 0 I would. My roof has been leaking for the past year. I am sure it was leaking earlier but we never went up to the attic. I went to clean it out to get ready to downsize and discovered small holes leaked all of everything up there. Perfect little dots evenly spaced. We finally got the roofer back here to discover NRG must have drilled on the wrong side of the roof as there are holes evenly lined up spaced 4 ft across. We do have pictures. No one from the company ever responds. I have sent numerous emails

Toni

April 12th, 2019 Sebastopol, CA

NRG scammed me. I was told by their salesman that I was under no obligation to pa y a cancellation fee until the plans were approved by me to go forward. He had me do DocuSign on a small iPad I have not approved their plan and they are charged me $1500 dollars to cancel my install without anything being done. A big rip off company.

clarence A

March 28th, 2019 Newburgh, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Stay away from NRG solar. My mother-in-law got NRG solar about 2 years ago and it does not do what it is suppose to do.Her electric bill has not gone down even a little bit so now she pays her regular electric bill but also NRG.They told her her electric bill would be 68.00 a month and she is still paying over a $100.00 a month. This company is a big ripoff and now she is stuck with them.

Cancel within 3 Business days

February 2nd, 2019 North Tonawanda, NY

If you just signed up with NRG energy and you want to cancel service, first call the prior electrical company and put a block on NRG energy. This way, there is no way for NRG energy can transfer service from your prior electrical service company to them. Then cancel service with NRG energy. You have only 3 business days to cancel service with no fees or penalties.

Sandra Rollo

January 30th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

experience with this company has not been good. They need to keep their customers informed on a monthly basis...such as: delivery charges that we pay thru our electric company to NRG.

Theresa Sylvia

January 24th, 2019 Head of Westport, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Update to my review last year. Now the company is called ClearWay. - very appropriate name - it's a clear way to to much frustration! Solar farm never delivered. Eversource does not participate in this farm which is 60 miles away from where I live. The credits convert to very small amounts of money. I was never offered an option if I wanted to continue since it is not how it was presented. The $300 dollar check I received will be to pay them back because the farm barely produces enough to pay their $125 monthly bill. I only pay $122 for my regular electric bill. They keep promising to find a replacement. I will call them every week or everyday until they do! DO NOT do business with this company! I've reported them to the MA AG office.

Peter

January 16th, 2019 Hartford, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a horrible company that will scam you. Their solar system dont work u will still have a high electric bill. DO NOT DO bussiness With these criminals. They lie. They all should be in jail with the keys thrown away. This is a criminal enterprise. Solar does not work nor will it benefit u one bit. You dont need solar panels on top of ur house to have electricity. Dont be fouled. I wish i didnt have to pick a star.

Ronald

December 28th, 2018 Cassville, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have an Enphase Envoy that is not working properly. It shows 3 green lights when working properly, mine shows 1 green and 2 red. I have been trying to get NRG fix problem since September 6 through emails and phone calls with no response from them other than to say system is normal.

Walter A

December 21st, 2018 Valley Stream, NY

My landlord had solar panels put in by this company a year ago. About 6 months after they were installed there was a leak coming through my ceiling fan, we called them and they said they wouldn't be able to send somebody for 2 weeks. THERES WATER COMING THOUGH AN ELECTRICAL FIXTURE. Allegedly somebody came put a Barbie band-aid on the hole and left. Not long after that it started leaking again, still through my ceiling fan and now over my bed. We called them 6 times in a matter of a week and a half, they keep giving us the same story they were going to relay the message to somebody else. Its currently raining here in NY I have a pot catching water on my bed (had to sleep on the couch) and a pot catching water on my floor coming from the fan. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY

James

November 21st, 2018 Gardner, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I know my wife has a review on here, but here we are months later trying to ditch this rip off . The said 3-6 months , it was Feb 5, 2018 and 9 1/2 months later we’re still trying to leave. The savings were barely there when they finally did show. In the meantime we pay NRG and National Grid. Tonight I was told a supervisor would contact me in 7-10 days . We’ll see how that goes. Heed my advice, stay away.

Pamela Davis

October 4th, 2018 South Richmond Hill, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

NRG installed solar panels on a over thirty year old roof. Told homeowner roof was fine for installation. Two years after panels installed, inside ceiling water damage, Roof needed to be replaced. Panels have to be removed and reinstalled at homeowners expense by one of their partners. The life of a roof is thirty years . NRG should have told homeowner to replace roof first. Homeowner now saddled with cost of new roof. cost of inside ceiling damage, payment to NRG partner to remove and reinstall panels. Unethical behavior. Also never told me about possibility of birds nesting under panels. when I had the problem and called them. NRG says thats homeowners expense.

Timothy Hinchliff

September 18th, 2018 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What a sham! Was part of the solar farm in Farmington, MN. Sold my house so am moving out of state. CS Rep. told me that "I" had to find someone to transfer my account to. What? In the meantime, I have to keep paying a bill for something I no longer use. Later I discovered that they will put me on a transfer list. You see, they scam you into "purchasing" a small part of the farm. When you move you will have to keep paying their freaking bill even if you are not even in the state. My advice is DO NOT get involved with this BS. It is a scam. Am sending my complaint to the BBB and social media.

Jessica

August 17th, 2018 Worcester, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The company is scam! They recruited me into their program by lying to me! I was told I can open an account with them under my name even I'm renting and it can be transferred if I move unless the new place doesn't support NRG. However, when I moved, I called them 3 times for a month before I was called by someone who can handle the problem. But then I was told that since I couldn't find my replacement customer, it would take them 3-6 months to find new ones and I AM RESPONSIBLE for the electricity bill till then which is clearly not what I was signing for. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING with this aweful company that does not keep their word and DO NOT TRUST THE SALESPERSON because they are selling lies!!!

Randy

May 29th, 2018 Hubbardston, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Took advantage of my 83 year old mother in law. The salesman signed my wife's name to the contract . Bills are in my wife and my name, not mother in laws. They won't cancel and say we owe them thousands. TOTALLY UNETHICAL. I called with the facts of how the contract can't be valid seeing we pay the bills and we are the homeowners. They didn't and still don't care. Prey on the elderly. Lawyers will be getting involved!! Gonna sue for everything I can. They had their chance!!

James Sullivan

May 9th, 2018 Bellingham, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We leased from NRG Home Solar for 20 years with a 10.9 KW system. We found problems with FIRST PAYMENT Tewrms in the lease. be aware the FIRST PAYMENT DUE is when National Grid or other utility signs their stamp of cert as a "Co-Gen" unit for your home. Your first payment is the first of the month after that "Co-Gen" stamp or designation. The home owner won't even get a full months draw of Solar power from NRG. In some cases you the "home owner" may get only a 2-day to 1 week notice of FIRST PAYMENT DUE because they don't inform you fully about start up of payments. Public utilities can't bill consumers until 30-45 days at the end of the billing cycle but not true with Solar... be aware of immediate first payment demands that are NOT fully disclosed.

Joseph Meyers

April 3rd, 2018 Burnsville, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Why can't I give lower than 1 star? This company is disrespectful, awful, uncaring and the absolutely the worst. If they come to your door, be polite "Say no" and thank me for saving you months of trouble.

Melanie Hermenet

March 28th, 2018 Hampden, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What a frustrating company to work with. Saying that they do not return your calls is an understatement. I have been waiting for a return call for 6 months. I call every 10 days and the keep "escalating" my case and still no call. As if that isn't bad enough, I pay them more than the credits that I have been provided. Thus is costs me significantly way more money to do business with them then it would to just pay my regular electric bill. Stay away!!

Josh Feldman

February 18th, 2018 El Cajon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Do not do business with this company. Beware. They don’t return calls they. They are Disrespectful. Then they hold you hostage with the lease agreement. I inherited the system when I purchased the house.

Michelle Contois

February 1st, 2018 Gardner, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It is expensive and it is only potential for savings. It takes 2 to 6 months to cancel because it is a transfer. Do not sign up. You are better off investing your money in the stock market. Never buy from a door to door salesperson.

C.F.Valera

January 4th, 2018 Waltham, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They do not return phone calls. The so called monitoring system missed the fact that our system did not work for two months because of a defective inverter. it took 23 phone calls and an appeal to the state consumer protection agency to have snow guards installed because of dangerous snowfalls off our roof into our front walk, stay away from them.

Edward McCaffrey

December 4th, 2017 West Springfield, MA

There is something major wrong with this ranking. We had NRG install our home system one year ago. They completed the job in one day . We had inspectors and 8 workers doing the installation. They were professional and well organized. No problems. They were however not helpful when it came to SREC in MA. I would use them again.

Mary Sweeney

November 25th, 2017 Lynn, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Okay, I really have to write because I see all these bad reviews. My experience is with the NRG Community Solar Farm - not the Home Solar. (I live in a 55 unit condo and we can't put anything on our rubber roof.) My initial encounter was at a Whole Foods Store in the late fall of 2015 where there was a fellow from a third party and a MassSave banner advertising solar. MassSave is our green state government service. I went over to encourage him, but explained why it wouldn't work for me. Then he told me about the Community Solar farm. This was in 2015. I asked for more info and it was sent to me. Not pushy. He told me it would take time. They have to get people committed, find an optimum place, get the deed/lease signed, link up with the electric company. Did I mention no money changed hands? Okay, I'm prepared to be a guinea pig and I want to save the planet so eventually I signed on. If I move, my credits come with me as long as I remain in my National Grid area. If I die, I can will my contract to someone. If I want to part with it, I can negotiate on my own or they will help me. Yes, it did take time. In March of 2017 they e-mailed me giving me the location of my farm under construction. That meant a road trip to Newbury, MA for me. It went live in May. (I have posted info on FB publicly viewable in photos.) I live in Massachusetts so we DO have winter. My heat is electric so this IS a BIG deal for me. So... let's follow the $$$. I got my first 2 months free with NRG and THEN they sent ME a check for $121 and cents. I called them to ask what that was for and they said it was for my first two months free. I told them I had already got my first two months free as credits had started to appear on my National Grid bill, but I think that they didn't count the first two months of operation at all because the farm hadn't been "fully" integrated into the grid. Okay.... I should mention that my contract, which was established after I sent them a year's worth of electric bills so that they could gauge usage, means that I will pay NRG $60 and cents each month going up to $80 and cents over 20 years. So each month so far, I pay only NRG. If I exceed my credits, I will pay National Grid the balance. I am building up credits with National Grid which I hope will see me through the winter. Admittedly I know that there will be fewer hours of daylight in the winter so I anticipate that my monthly credits will go down, but every day that the sun shines, I say cha-ching. For me, this is ALL about saving the planet. I am 70+. Unlike the current President I want the children of the world to have a habitable planet and am prepared to do whatever I can to achieve that end. Anybody with any questions, feel free to message me via Facebook and I will do whatever I can to tell you what I have experienced. I also drive a Prius. NOT a fake review. My reluctance to recommend HOME solar is based upon my experience NOT being with that, but rather with the Community Solar Farm.

Mina Mohareb

November 21st, 2017 Staten Island, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are not professional, I got leak after the installation and they wouldn’t fix the leak

Jeffrey Dopson

November 20th, 2017 Rockaway, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish i could zero stars. They screwed up my roof rafters. They didn't add enough supports to my existing rafters and now they are saying it wasn't their fault. How could it not be?!?!? If the rafters looked like they do now they would have never put the system up in the first place. Then they send their own technicians out to make a determination. Talk about conflict of interest!!! Of course they are going to say it wasnt them! BEWARE!!!

James Asmussen

November 16th, 2017 Williamstown, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For us, the negative reviews are like, Wha???? We have to agree with the other positive reviewers. NRG did everything. More often than not, our electric bill from National Grid is $0, and our monthly lease ( for 20 years )is only $54.88. This, after our bill was heading towards $100 with no sign of slowing down. We are both retired, and conscious of our electric usage but love it when the sun shines. I telephoned NRG with a question and received a courteous and satisfactory reply.

Joe Coughlin

November 14th, 2017 Dunstable, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Signed on for NRG Community Solar. I was told that it would be seamless and net metering process would offset my main utility bill. Net metering credits have been spotty at best and National Grid is slow in providing credits. NRG now tells me I have to contact National Grid to resolve. Result is I now have two utility bills and promises of future utopia from NRG. Complete nightmare - don't do it.

H Roberts

November 6th, 2017 Staten Island, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TERRIBLE System is down w/ a bad microconverter. They will not even call back till after 10 business days. then 2 more days to schedule any repair. WORST service ever!!! >>>and they know the problem

gary lindsey

November 3rd, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

this company totally sucks I have been fighting with them for 6 months as there system did not generate what was guaranteed system went down and it took 2 and a half months to repair then sent me bogus generation numbers spent three months fighting that and another month before receiving half what they owe me then get a new generation number which was no where near either been two and a half months since I put in another complaint havnt heard a thing I'm thinking civil suit do not sign up with this company they lie to sell you a system and lie about generation if you have their system watch and document your generation print it out as I have or they'll screw you royally

Mark Kolbert

October 8th, 2017

Door to door Rep was well beyond pushy. He gave his sales pitch "FAST". Told me how much money I'd be saving by joining the Solar farm community. He literally crammed the application form down my throat. Fill it out and sign it quickly or I'll loose out. Form had a space for my SS number. Would not give it. Told him I want to mull it over. Called him the following day to ask a couple of questios I had. First words out of his mouth, did you sign the application form and e mail it. Whoa !!! I said I better dig deeper. Went online and read reviews. 108 rated 0 to 5 stars. (Most of these were "0". 38 rated 6 to 10 stars. Rather one-sided in my eyes. Said my bill would never go over 85.00. Then again he said nothing about me getting a monthly bill from NRG along with my Eversource Electric bill. Found this out when I called NRG directly. Rep said absolutey nothing about a 20 year contract. Said Sign the contract now ! Lock in or you go to the bottom of the list ! Left him a text' "My final answer is NO"! You see, always do your research !

Aramndo Fierro

October 4th, 2017 OR

Sales Rep. lied gave me a quote how my small bill would look like and how I will save lots of money. And Government Plan can help, Now I'm stuck with a contract and a big mortgage statement each month NRG planted in my Home mortgage payment. Plus that's not all Once a year I get a Big Fat bill from Edison $2500 you must pay.

Mark K.

September 30th, 2017

Beyond pushy. Wanted my SS number. Would not give it. Told him I want to mull it over. Went online and read reviews. 108 rated 0 to 5 stars. 38 rated 6 to 10 stars. Rather one-sided in my eyes. Said my bill would never go over 85.00. Then again he said nothing about me getting a monthly bill from NRG along with my Eversource bill. Found this out when I called NRG directly. Said absolutey nothing about a 20 year contract. Said Sign the contract now ! Lock in or you go to the bottom of the list ! You see, always do your research !

Frederick A Franzella

August 24th, 2017 New York, NY

Wow! this is unbelievable after reading all the reviews I cannot believe what I am reading. I have Solar for a little over three years and never had a problem. My electric bill went way down and never had a problem. I just sent them an email a few weeks ago and they responded in a few days. I have no problems and think it is a great company.

Sharon Ellington

August 8th, 2017

A solar system was installed on my home thru NRG Solar. It was checked out by Oncor engineers to ensure it was working correctly at the time of installation. I was told by NRG that they would be monitoring the solar produced by my home and if a problem arose they could contact me and would ensure that the panels are repaired or replaced immediately. I noticed in June that the reports showed that the panels were under producing. Not a little but a lot. I called NRG the first time on June 6th. I discussed the problem and informed them that I also there were more than the normal panels installed because of the position of my home and that there was no way the panels were working correctly when you reviewed the reports. I was told I would be contact within two business days. On July 12th I still hadn't heard from anyone. I called again and discussed the same thing. My request was escalated and was told a case manage would be contacting me within two business days. On July 17th I still had received no call back. I called NRG once again and told them this time that I wanted to speak to a manager. On July 17th the case manager called me and the first thing she said is that it did look like my panels were working correctly. WHAT!!!!! I told her she was wrong and to look at the history. She then looked at the history and revised what she initially said and changed it to "it looks like a string is out". Well no joke. Something is out. Something is not working correctly. I did not appreciate that after more than a month of waiting for a response from this company that the first response was to try to blow me off. I am a paying customer. They sent a repairman out to my house on July 25th. The repairman arrived late and initially told me it was just a fuse. He then came to my door and said he had to go to Home Depot to get a fuse. He returned about an hour later and came to me and said that the wiring had bee installed incorrectly (backwards). WHAT!!!! I was getting better readings initially than now. How can it have been installed by Oncor engineers backwards? He worked on the wiring panels and after about 4 hours later he left. I asked him why it took so long for someone to respond to me or get out here and he said that they were very very short handed. Well, here it is August 8th and the panels are still not reporting correctly. Oh I forgot the supervisor finally called me back on July 25th and he apologized for the company not responding to my calls and the case manager not responding. He said that he would send another tech out to inspect the system. He told me that I should have been responded to when I first contacted NRG...(REALLY!) I called NRG August 7th and reported that my solar panels are sill not producing as they were initially and I mentioned that the supervisor told me he would be sending someone out there to recheck the system and that no one has been here. The customer service rep told me that they would have the supervisor call me back. At that point I told them that I didn't want to speak to the case manager nor the supervisor at this point. I wanted the supervisor's manager to call me and do it quickly. Well August 8th, the case manager who I specifically said was not to call me, called me. After a very long hard discussion about not reposnding to my concerns nor acknowledging the problems with the solar panels until after I confronted her and not allowing her to blow me off I told her also that I was done playing and demanded to speak to a manager. She then informed me that the supervisor has called the contractor who did the repair and that they agreed that the panels were ok now. Without even coming out to do an onsite inspection. No one from NRG bothered to contact me and discuss the problem or current situation or their decision. I became furious. The panels are still under-producing at this time. I informed the case manager that at this point I was going to either talk to a manager or I would be contacting their corporate office. We hung up. I called the Corporate office in Houston and once again talked to a customer service supervisor. Once again we went over this ongoing problem and she said that she would once again request that a manager contact me regarding this situation. I acquired the address of both the NRG Houston and NJ Corporate offices. So here it is August 8th, 2017 and at this point no resolution. My electric bill is higher now than if I just had electric with no solar because I am having to also pay for the lease of the equipment. So I'm currently paying almost $400.00. How would I rate them at this point? 0 a big fat 0.

Thomas Denault

July 12th, 2017 Springfield, MA

After a salesperson visit I was told that I had 90 days to cancel my contract without penalty. After doing research I noticed that this company is terrible for customer service. No return emails. No return phone calls. after one month I decided to cancel. Nobody replied to my messages. I had to go to the Better Business Bureau to file a complaint. Finally I received a call and the individual started to qoute the Federal Lease Law ????. I told him we can do this the easy way of I will contact the Attorney General's office. At this time I was transferred to a cancellation specialist for information. Several hours later I received an email stated my contract with NRG is cancelled. Be very careful with salesperson. Doesn't state all the facts and customer service is the worst company service I have ever dealt with.

RV Lund

July 6th, 2017

My system was sold by American Solar Direct...who went bankrupt. The output guarantee requires constant monitoring. American's user website closed and the link to NRG's user website server does not respond so I haven't seen it yet....if it exists. I have no way to know if my system meets the electricity generation specified in my contract and I doubt anybody is monitoring it to let me know I have a refund coming if output is low. I live in California which NRG doesn't list as a service area either. We in California need a class action lawyer to help us. I want out of this lease if the terms are not met!

Catherine Salm

June 28th, 2017 Merced, CA

I have had ground mounted panels in California for two years. They no longer service CA and there is no local contact. person available. They said they would monitor my panels and guaranteed that I would save money. Last year I had $750 true up with PGE and this year I owe them $1200. When I called today I was told my lease states that I am responsible for maintaining the panels but they will check into how they are operating and get back to me. If they are monitoring my panels and system like I was promised they would know how they are operating and not tell me that it is my responsibility. What a bunch of bs. I am supposed to be responsible for keeping them clean and free from damage not maintenance and monitoring. There isn't even anywhere to check performance but from PGE according to them I produce way less than I use. Seriously?! Some of the lowest production/highest usage times, I am at work and it's sunny out. I know the dog is not cranking the ac and wasting energy. They took my rebate money and ran. Now I am stuck in a twenty year lease at S170 a month and paying PGE a nice sum annually at true up plus monthly costs that solar doesn't cover. At least future potential customers in CA are safe from being screwed since they aren't installing individual home solar here anymore.

Kim Benros

June 26th, 2017 East Northport, NY

This company really sells you that charlatan deal. Stay Far AWAY. They promise that you will have lower bills!! Lies!!! You are locked in with a 20 year contract and you will pay MORE in your bills. I am SO disgusted. I was paying less before I got the panels!!! Totally betrayed my trust...don't make my same mistake. Conveniently went out of BUSINESS!!!

denise

June 16th, 2017

Signed up with NRG -now have solar panels sitting on my roof that are completely useless as I have not heard back for months from anyone to complete the process. I cannot get in contact with anyone who was involved in the initial set up. Numbers have been disconnected and the only valid # reached is in Texas. We were also told that we would receive a $1500 gift card once we signed with them and we never did. Also told that we would receive a referral fee and no one ever contacted the people we referred. Now they are restructuring and I think they have taken homeowner's rebates without a care.

Harry Vandoloski

June 6th, 2017 Wilbraham, MA

Salesman (Ralph S) was great until I was set up. Said I would get $100 for any referral that would sit down and talk with him.(no such program). Said I would get $500 for any referral that would contract a set up with them. (there really was such a program but he would never log info for me to get credit). Said company would reimburse me for cost of combining meters (Company said they had no record of that ever being approved but did honor it after I provided the emails in which he stated they had approved it). Office personnel and installation personnel were all very polite, helpful, and a pleasure to deal with but I couldn't recommend the company because of extremely dishonest sales rep.

Lorraine Surette

May 25th, 2017 Granby, MA

Used deceptive practice to sell solar farm contract making it a nightmare to desolve the contract. Check the BBB in your area to see where they really stand. Can't imagine where the rating on this page came from.

Don

May 19th, 2017

Just had a couple fast talking sales guys at my door and decided to check them out as they are really staring to push solar in Canada. As suspected, these ratings are about what expected. This exactly why you should never deal with door to door scammers. Buyer beware!

linda

May 16th, 2017

i never bought the panels, we were thinking about it and trying to find a good company. i did however receive a card from them in the mail saying i missed a package deliver , this was the first attempt , there will be 2 more attempts. and to call them right away, i know its just theyre sales gimmick, but how can you trust a company that lies to you right off the bat?

Georgi Penchev

May 12th, 2017

Do not deal with this company.Worst customer service.We sold our house and they still charge us for that property that isn't ours. They lie all the time,never return our phone calls in the promissed time frame.Going to start a law suit.Just rediculous