Deca Solar Logo

Deca Solar

LAST UPDATED: August 4th, 2021

Founded in 2009 and with offices in Arlington and Corpus Christi, Texas, Deca Solar has completed hundreds of residential solar installation projects across the Lone Star State, tailored to each home’s energy needs and household budget. The solar company is an Authorized Elevation Solar Dealer, meaning Deca installs superior equipment and provides top-level customer service.

The Good

Authorized Elevation Solar Dealer

Deca Solar is an Authorized Elevation Solar Dealer. Elevation Solar is one of the nation’s leading solar providers as well as a 2019 Energy Star award winner; its dealers offer customers the following:

• Superior solar products — including energy-efficient solar cells from Panasonic and inverters and solar energy monitoring services from Enphase; all equipment consequently comes with a 25-year manufacturer’s warranty
  • Award winning customer service — providing the homeowner with a dedicated solar project manager and customer care specialist who are on board for the duration of the solar installation process

The Bad

• No Solar Lease or PPA
  • Average Workmanship Warranty
  • No NABCEP Certification

No Solar Lease or PPA

Deca Solar only offers customers the options of directly purchasing their solar panel systems, or financing the system through a zero money down solar loan. Both options grant homeowners access to several solar incentives, including the Federal Solar Tax Credit.

However, both require thousands of dollars in investment. Solar leases and power purchase agreements, meanwhile, are better for homeowners on limited budgets, as they allow customers to rent the system or energy it produces at a fixed rate over 20 to 25 years.

Average Workmanship Warranty

Deca Solar provides a workmanship warranty good for 10 years, considered the industry average. This warranty protects the solar energy system against damage caused during the installation process along with necessary maintenance. Leading solar companies offer workmanship warranties good for 25 years, or the lifetime of the system.

No NABCEP Certification

Deca Solar does not appear to hold a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP), widely considered the gold standard in solar installation training in the solar industry. While this in no way suggests poor quality or professionalism on the part of the company, an NABCEP certification signal’s a company’s true expertise, and can be the difference maker for some customers.

The Bottom Line

Solar customers living in Texas who are looking for a local installer with a zero money down financing option, might find success with Deca Solar. The company brings years of experience and a key industry partnership in Elevation Solar to the table. Customers are encouraged to read verified Deca Solar reviews and compare the company’s offering to leading solar installers in the area to determine if Deca Solar is right for them.

3.8

Miles Whitman Houston, TX

Super fast installs!! Before I began the process I did nothing know much about solar, however, the salesman took the time to explain the entire process and made sure all my questions were answered. I have friends that went with another company and took months to get installed, they were so jealous when they found out I was up and running within two weeks! They also offer amazing warranties and every promise I was made has been followed through on. I was skeptical at first but I have not been able to find any issues with my service.

LaDonna Rigsby Fort Worth, TX

I moved into a new home. A door to door sales person came through to introduce Deca who previously did business as Zenith. As is the case with sales people, they talk a good game and make promises. After a little research I decided to move forward with the purchase and installation of the solar panels using Deca as the provider. The process started ok. I was a little put off with the installation planning. My sales person didn't work with me to set a date. He called me and said, there's another house in the neighborhood with an install so we're going to do yours the same day. Well, I work away from home so I have to make arrangements. There wasn't enough time for me to do that so, I was not at home when the panels were installed. It seemed like as soon as the panels were installed, the Deca sales person forgot that he had a customer. His promise to me was that he would check up and follow up until the process was complete. As it goes, the last time I saw my sales person was a day after the panels were installed. I made contact with him a few days later because my security cameras were off line which could have been disconnected when the installers were in the attic. After that. silence until I received a note on my door from Oncor indicating that I was stealing solar energy and that I needed to turn the panels off immediately. Well I didn't know the panels were on nor did I know how to turn them off so I bypassed the sales person and contacted Deca directly to have someone come through to turn off the panels. Then I contacted Oncor to check next steps. Well the story goes on and on until I was able to connect with Deca employee Darren. Darren assured me that he would make sure the rest of the process went smoothly. I hung onto his promise (again) and he delivered. Darren took my case to the team that could finish the process. It took about a week and a half to finish up the needed requirements with Oncor and to connect that with what Deca was supposed to do. I was kept in the loop along the way. Finally finished, Darren contacted me to stop by to turn on the panels and install the app on my phone. It seems that everything is working as designed. The app on my phone shows me progress and the meter outside shows activity. Waiting on my first bill. The process began in April. We're in Mid June now. This may be normal. My story doesn't have an end right now but, for anyone interested in this process, I recommend asking for or creating a written check list when talking with your sales rep to make sure price points and benchmark dates are being met. Also get the name and numbers of people at the company to call. I've learned that sometimes sales people can be kinda wishy washy or they over commit. They're done when the sale is done but, they don't make proper transitions to connect the customer to the next team responsible for completing the process. If my sales guy had made that transition instead of personally promising that he'd be there every step of the way, my review would have been 5 stars instead of 4 stars. Overall I'm at peace with my purchase thanks to the follow up and follow through by Darren.

Judson Dosher Mission, TX

Nothing to like about this company. The salesman promised to be with us through the whole process, what a joke. Promises that when the panels are installed they will give me a check for a years worth o my electricity, so far I have seen half that and do not expect to see the rest. Also sat at out dinning room table and told us about how we could pay the loan off faster by using the tax credits from the federal government and that AEP also had some credits or payments. It turns out that deca living and any or all of the companies that they have taken over are NOT on the approved installers list at AEP and so none of their customers are eligible for the AEP program. Our panels were installed on the 16th of April, but not able to use them for the next 62 days as paperwork was incorrectly filled out and submitted to AEP and was returned to deca living and ignored for a month. Once I started contacting AEP and found out I started calling for support and help, can you guess just how much support I got? NONE. Panels were finally turned on 17th of June as AEP finally came and replaced the meter. As of today, 26 June, we still do not the app installed and configured. Customer support at this company is areal laughing matter, it is totally absent. By the way, I had to start making payments BEFORE we were able to use the panels. Great comapany..NOT! Avoid at all means and costs.

David Katy, TX

Was able to reduce my average bill by $43 and I applied the $1000 they gave me at install to keep my payments low