Lumio

LAST UPDATED: May 12th, 2022

Founded in the summer of 2021, Lumio represents the combined efforts of five regional solar companies to provide homeowners with fast solar installation services and widespread availability. With offices in Utah, Florida, Texas, Arizona, and Washington, the Utah-based company is currently available in more than 35 U.S. states, and employs a massive workforce of more than 3,500 employees.

As a result, Lumio has quickly risen to become a top-five solar provider in the country in terms of installation volume, and boasts an impressive 12-month run rate of $1 billion, per Forbes. Lumio’s unique value proposition to the residential solar market is its ability to seamlessly integrate solar energy with existing smart home and energy management technology.

The Good

• Solid Warranties
  • Fast Installation Times
  • Smart Home Integration
  • Broad Service Area

Solid Warranties

Lumio offers customers some of the most robust and competitive warranties in the industry. In addition the 25-year product warranty (a guarantee from the manufacturer that the physical components of the solar panel system will perform as expected for a minimum of 25 years), Lumio provides its own 10-year workmanship warranty, which protects homeowners from being liable for damages caused to the system or home for the first 10 years of operation.

This 10-year warranty is considered average for the solar industry; however, customers should note that industry leaders guarantee their labor for up to 25 years.

Fast Installation Times

Lumio boasts one of the fastest installation times in the industry. While many solar contractors can take anywhere from 30 to 90 days from the day building permits are secured to final walkthrough and activation, Lumio’s average install time is less than 30 days — with some system builds clocking in at 10 or fewer days start to finish.

Smart Home Integration

Lumio is not just a solar panel installer; it is a technology company. As such, Lumio is one of the few solar providers that can successfully integrate a solar energy system with existing smart home and home automation protocols.

What this means is, not only can a Lumio customer’s home generate its own electricity, decentralized from the utility grid, but that home can also use machine learning to determine the most efficient uses of that energy. Built-in rules will also notify the homeowner and Lumio of impending threats to the system like power outages, rolling blackouts, and more, and provide real-time solutions to help homeowners keep the lights on.

Broad Service Area

Lumio’s services are available to homeowners in the following U.S. states:

• Arizona
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

The Bad

• Specific Solar Brands Not Listed
  • Unclear NABCEP Status
  • Unclear Financing Options

Specific Solar Brands Not Listed

While customers can assume that most solar providers, including Lumio, have access to a broad inventory of solar panel and inverter brands, leading providers will mention a handful of preferred manufacturing partners by name to provide customers with a fair expectation of the quality of system they’ll be receiving. Often, solar providers will maintain brand-specific certifications as a way to differentiate themselves from the competition and show off their expertise to homeowners.

Lumio does not mention specific solar brands or manufacturing partners, nor does the company feature any partnership certifications.

Unclear NABCEP Status

Although the five regional providers that have coalesced into Lumio may have employed technicians who have been certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP), whether Lumio itself has achieved board-certified status from the NABCEP is unclear.

The NABCEP is an industry recognized organization that promotes best installation and business practices within solar. The lack of certification should in no way disqualify a company from consideration; however, its presence can make the difference for homeowners comparing multiple providers.

Unclear Financing Options

Lumio’s financing options are not disclosed in detail, though homeowners can assume the company provider paths for direct purchase or third-party loan financing.

The Bottom Line

Lumio combines regional expertise with the scope and resources of a national solar provider. Its pioneering work in the solar–smart home integration field mark the company as truly unique in this space, and its fast installation times paired with industry-leading warranties in part explain why the company has been so successful in such a short amount of time.

Pending some clarifications on its industry and manufacturing certifications, Lumio appears to be a transparent and reliable solar provider. Customers are encouraged to reach out to Lumio for a quote and read verified Lumio reviews to see how customers have enjoyed their experience with Lumio.

1.8

wes

Two salesmen came to my door this evening from Lumio. Even tho I won't be installing any solar panels because I'll be selling my home soon, we discussed the solar industry and where it is heading in the future. They were very knowledgeable and polite. I took down their information and would definitely recommend them to request a quote!

Reply from Lumio

Hi Wes, thanks for sharing! If you wouldn’t mind emailing [email protected] with the names of your reps, we’d love to pass along your compliments! And if you’re ever in a better position to switch to solar, please don’t hesitate to reach out!

May. 6th, 2022

NotAFan Blue Ridge, TX

Do not use this company or any affiliated with it. I don’t care if they call themselves Lumio or Deca or anything else. It is very unwise to do business with them. They are super nice until the financing goes through. But as soon as they get the money good luck getting in touch with them. The numbers I found in the installation agreement act like your number has been blocked when you try to call them. Though I had the salesman’s cell phone number, he was too busy scamming other people to call me back. I did have another gentleman’s cell phone number, but he didn’t have the answers and was having a hard time getting them. But I even had a hard time getting him to call me at times due to a death in his family. I have been trying for months now to get some questions/issues resolved and have been drug along, getting bits and pieces here and there. First, when they tell you there is a rebate, they make it sound like you will be receiving a check in the mail. That is not true. After repeatedly asking when I would be receiving my rebate, I finally got an email to a gift card site to redeem my rebate. ☹ Really, I’m promised a check that I can put in my bank to pay bills with it and I get a gift card! Granted, I did have the option to pick a visa or master card gift card, but have you ever tried paying a credit card with a credit card. That doesn’t work! Second, there were 3 phone numbers in the paperwork I had between my Deca agreement and the Oncor applications. None of these numbers worked, so I had to rely on working through the salesmen. Third, the installers cut a hole in my house that they couldn’t use. They told me not to worry, they were patching it. Little did I know that meant putting a shiny metal of metal against my black trim then smearing white calk all over the patch and my house. At another penetration, they didn’t seal it at all, so rain could get in the gap between the pipe and my housing material. The gentleman that came months later to fix the repair was super friendly and kind. When he left the problem areas were acceptable, but I provided a lot of the materials he used to make the repairs. I had not had acceptable items on hand, I don’t know what he would have done. Fourth, the installation was done in February. The salesman had told me that someone would be coming out to look at the installation and get me set up with an app that would allow me to monitor my system. I contacted them repeatedly asking when this step was going to occur because my unit was just sitting there. In May the salesman acted like he didn’t know what inspection I was talking about and told me to turn on the unit. The repairman that came out looked at the system and made a comment about how he could tell it had not been inspected. I just about flipped. And he tried looking my system up in the application he had to show me how I should be able to monitor my panels and my house wasn’t even set up. So apparently something is still not right and I still don’t have a monitoring app. On top of these things, I’m still owed a reimbursement for the disconnect fee from my original provider. People, when I tell you to stay away, I’m not playing. My story isn’t even the worst of it. I was told about installations where crews decided they were done mid-job and just left and didn’t come back. They had figured out that if they sent a picture of a complete installation, they could get paid without finishing the job, which left customers fighting Deca to come finish the job. Maybe Lumio is a good company that just bought out a bad one, but my thoughts are, when they saw a pattern forming, they should have started reaching out to customers to make sure they had been taken care of. At the very least I should have gotten a postcard with the new customer service number.

Otto Portillo Katy, TX

I put one start, but I would have the option to get 0 or half start, I will do it. Worst company ever for solar panels. Lumio former Deca solar. I really regret to have selected this company for my solar panels. Even if they keep changing the name the customer service is always the same. VERY BAD!

Basketball Jones Palm Bay, FL

Guy came on my property stating he was there for "phase 2 of the meter swap".

Reply from Lumio

Hi Basketball, thanks for sharing. If you have any additional information you would be willing to share to help us understand this further, please email us at [email protected]

Apr. 5th, 2022

Jim Meyer

Iggnorant company came to my door extremely rude saying they were with the utility company.

Reply from Lumio

Hi Jim, we’re so sorry for your experience and can assure you we do not tolerate this kind of behavior at Lumio. If you have any additional details you would like to provide so we can trace it to the appropriate sales team, please send us an email at [email protected]

Apr. 1st, 2022