DIRECTV got its start in 1990 and has since grown into a successful Fortune 100 company. The company offers over 190 full-time HD channels as well as high-speed internet and a streaming service. In a side-by-side comparison with other digital satellite providers, it holds up very well.

In June 2015, AT&T officially acquired DIRECTV, creating one of the largest television and communications companies in the world. The projections for this merger are positive for DIRECTV customers, giving them bundling opportunities on internet and phone service not available before.

DIRECTV is a digital satellite entertainment service provider that offers homeowners and businesses more than 250 channels throughout all 50 states.

Read what other DIRECTV customers are saying about their service (below).

The Good

• DIRECTV Packages and Pricing Information
  • Genie® HD DVR and Direct Remote
  • Channel Lineup and Selection
  • DIRECTV App
  • Save Money By Bundling

DIRECTV Packages and Pricing Information

Each DIRECTV package offers a variety of channels each designed to entertain clients of all ages. Customers can enjoy hit shows, movies, sports, and more.

DIRECTV is transparent about what each package includes (even mentioning notable channels), allowing customers to make an informed decision about which package will work best for them.

SELECT™

• Price: $49.99 per month*
  • Channels: 155+
  • Notable Channels: USA, TBS, Nick, and Disney
  • Genie® HD DVR Included

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $40/mo + taxes until discount starts. $78/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change).

ENTERTAINMENT

• Price: $54.99 per month*
  • Channels: 160+
  • Notable Channels: ESPN, ESPN2, FS1

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $45/mo + taxes until discount starts. $90/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change).

CHOICE™

• Price: $59.99 per month*
  • Channels: 185+
  • Notable Channels: Travel, OWN, E!
  • NFL Sunday Ticket 2019 Season Included
  • 1 Year of HBO Included (at no extra charge)
  • Genie® HD DVR Included

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $50/mo + taxes until discount starts. $105/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change). Regional Sports Fee up to $7.49/mo. is extra & applies.*

XTRA

• Price: $69.99 per month
  • Channels: 235+
  • Notable Channels: FX, Golf, NHL, NBC
  • NFL Sunday Ticket 2019 Season Included

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $60/mo + taxes until discount starts. $117/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change). Regional Sports Fee up to $7.49/mo. is extra & applies.*

ULTIMATE

• Price: $74.99 per month*
  • Channels: 250+
  • Notable Channels: IFC, Chiller, Esquire, FXM
  • NFL Sunday Ticket 2019 Season Included
  • 1 Year of HBO Included (at no extra charge)
  • Genie® HD DVR Included

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $65/mo + taxes until discount starts. $128/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change). Regional Sports Fee up to $7.49/mo. is extra & applies.*

PREMIER™

• Price: $124.99 per month*
  • Channels: 330+
  • Notable Channels: HBO®, STARZ®, SHOWTIME®, CINEMAX®
  • NFL Sunday Ticket 2019 Season Included

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $115/mo + taxes until discount starts. $181/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change). Regional Sports Fee up to $7.49/mo. is extra & applies.*

Genie® HD DVR and Direct Remote

In decades past, TV plans came with one remote for one television. Now any iPhone mobile device can act as a DIRECTV remote, and viewers can watch up to four different shows in four different rooms at any given time. Android devices can be used as well. but only if they are running on at least an IOS 6.0.

The Genie HD can be used to record shows. Better yet, those shows can be recorded in HD, meaning customers can fully enjoy them without viewing them live.

The ability to view different TV channels in multiple rooms has many customers asking, "How much extra equipment will I need?" With DIRECTV, all you'll need is a Genie Mini in each additional room. Also, if you have a Samsung or Sony Direct Ready TV, you don't need any external devices to run multiple TVs through the network.

With each of the plans listed above, customers will receive a set-top box in the mail that allows them to do their own installation. Instructions for setting up your DIRECTV set-top box are sent with the package and customer support is also available.

Channel Lineup and Selection

DIRECTV has plenty of channels to offer. The TV provider has over 200 live HD channels and a plethora of movie channels. Customers can enjoy HD and 4K programming with each of its channel packages; however, you'll need to purchase a higher tier plan or upgrade to gain access to a larger variety of HD channels. You'll also need a 4K TV to access the 4K channels.

DIRECTV's PREMIER package gives consumers access to premium channels. If you're obsessed with HBO's Game of Thrones or if you can't miss an episode of Showtime's Billions, then this DIRECTV package is perfect for you.

Sports fans love DIRECTV because it is the exclusive TV provider for the NFL Sunday Ticket. This sports package lets consumers watch live, HD, out-of-market games every Sunday. This plan particularly appeals to football fans, but if you're a fan of another major sport, no need to panic — DIRECTV still has you covered. You can select from any of these sports packs:

• DIRECTV SPORTS PACK: CBS Sports, ESPN Classic, Outdoor Channel, etc.
  • MLB EXTRA INNINGS®: MLB Network, MLB Network Strike Zone
  • MLS DIRECT KICK
  • NBA LEAGUE PASS

Every DIRECTV channel pack has plenty of options for even the pickiest entertainment buffs. There is plenty of original content, classic movies, and sports channels for everyone. Just be sure to pick a channel lineup that satisfies your entertainment needs.

DIRECTV App

The DIRECTV App lets subscribers stream live news, sports, along with their favorite shows and movies. The app gives customers flexibility as they can decide when and where they want to watch. Users can watch live, On Demand, or download their DVR recordings to their device, to view it anywhere. The DIRECTV app comes at no extra cost, can stream on up to 5 screens at once, and uses no data when customers have AT&T wireless.

The DIRECTV App can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play.

Save Money By Bundling

When bundling your DIRECTV Satellite TV services with other services (phone and internet service), you can save a decent amount of money. The AT&T internet plan costs $50 per month and the most basic DIRECTV package costs $35 per month. The DIRECTV and AT&T Internet bundle costs $75 per month, saving customers $10 a month. What customers get is over 155 channels, internet speeds up to 100 Mbps, over 99 percent reliability, and the professional installation fee waived — a $99 value. Customers can even sign up for a 3-month preview of HBO®, SHOWTIME®, STARZ®, and Cinemax® at no extra charge.

The Bad

• Possible Monthly Fees
  • Price Increases
  • Signal Relies on the Weather

Possible Monthly Fees

Before signing up with DIRECTV, it is essential to review the terms and conditions for each service to be sure of any additional fees or taxes. Too often, customers sign up and don't find out the terms until it's too late. Here are some possible fees a DIRECTV customer might run into:

Activation and Installation

For each of the DIRECTV packages, there is a $19.95 activation fee

While installing DIRECTV, the technician may need to make changes to a telephone line or provide extra equipment, etc. and a custom work fee may be applied. The technician should prepare a Custom Work Rate sheet to explain what was needed and the cost.

However, customers should also be aware that there is a non-activation fee. DIRECTV will charge $150 per receiver if it is not activated within 30 days of installation.

Equipment

There is an Equipment Lease Fee. The fee for the first receiver is waived; after that, each additional receiver costs $5 per month

At the end of their agreement, customers should return their equipment to avoid DIRECTV's Unreturned Equipment Fee, which can range from $55-$470 per receiver

Cancellation and Deactivation:

Customers who don't fulfill their Programming Agreements may be charged a pro-rated fee of up to $480.

There is a disclaimer at the bottom of DIRECTV's site that states there is an "early termination fee" or cancellation fee of $20 per month, for each month remaining on the TV agreement.

If a customer deactivates their service or if DIRECTV deactivates the service, there may be a charge of $15. This charge is made apart from the termination fee.

Extra Fees:

DVR Service Fee: Choosing a DVR or HD DVR receiver will automatically enroll customers in a DVR service. The cost is $6 per month, no matter how many DVR or HD DVR receivers they've selected.

HD Access Fee: For an additional $10 per month customers can receive HD channels

Late Fees: If a customer misses their monthly bill and fails to pay within the grace period, DIRECTV will charge $5 or the maximum amount permitted by law.

Price Increases

DIRECTV is known for locking customers into great promotional packages for the first year of their contract; however, once the first year of the contract is complete, year two can bring a substantial increase in monthly programming prices. While this is stated in the contract, it comes as an unwelcome surprise to many customers. A number of DIRECTV reviews mention these price hikes as one of the top frustrations with this satellite tv service. If this is a deal breaker for you, there are other service providers that offer set pricing for the length of your contract.

Signal Relies on the Weather

DIRECTV is satellite-based and is subject to all the disadvantages that come with a satellite dish: reception is at the mercy of weather conditions. Heavy storms are likely to affect the satellite connection. Weather does not affect the quality and availability of cable tv or fiber optic programming to the same extent as satellite TV service. Be prepared to deal with spotty live tv connections  as connections to local channels during considerably adverse weather.

The Bottom Line

There are plenty of reasons to consider signing up with DIRECTV.

DIRECTV offers an incredible assortment of specialty and local channels, and its initial promotional packages are hard to beat. However, be aware that after your one or two year contract is up, there will be a price hike; while this isn't unusual in the industry, this catches many customers off guard. Customer reviews did not take this lightly.

DIRECTV is the exclusive provider for the NFL Sunday Ticket. This is great for football fans who want to watch those out-of-market games, but if football isn't your game, then there are plenty of other sports packages to select from. You'll also have access to plenty of channels, so you can pick the perfect TV package. These perks make DIRECTV hard competition for a number of Satellite and Cable TV providers.

If you're looking for a TV provider that provides a plethora of HD channels, amazing sports packages, and gives you access to exclusive content, then it might be worth looking into DIRECTV.

Call our recommended rep over at DIRECTV below.

2.7

Mary

May 11th, 2015 Buffalo, TX

They are horrible!!! They lie to you when you can get someone to talk to which takes for ever. Their hidden fees are outrages and the program lineup is terrible. Beware those of you who love DirectTV. Your bill is full of secret fees you may not know about! Come this August they are history in this house!

Dolores Davies

May 11th, 2015 Paducah, KY

Lies. Lies. And more lies. They say it's wireless. Everyone I know that has it, has a bunch of wires showing. They talk about the whole house genie but they don't tell you that it adds 30 dollars a month to your bill. If you're not happy, there's no way you can get out of it without paying a hefty fine. Of course, the government gave them a hefty fine for that.

Alejandro R. Nunez

May 10th, 2015 Miami, FL

I've been a Direct TV costumer since 2011. I've never had problems. Very good costumer service and professional technicians. They have very good deals and very good service. At home we have a HD DVR, High Definition in all rooms (3), from every room you can record and move forwards and behind all programs are live or recorded. We are very pleased with Direct TV.

Patricia Braun

May 10th, 2015 Kennewick, WA

there prices keep going up and the lack of good programing makes me want to shop around.they need to drop home shopping channels, and take away the spanish channels and make them a pay per view or let the custmer pick what he want on a channel line up.

Wendell Griffin

May 8th, 2015 Raleigh, NC

They continue to raise their prices....I am just before terminating their service...I refuse to pay 90.00 dollars per month to watch TV.......And ...NO TV when a thunderstorm comes-up.......,

mike Hauss

May 7th, 2015 Spring Hill, FL

Can't wait for my two years to be up so I can get rid of them. they told me what my package would be and after 3 months they raided the price telling me it was a promo. I picked their top package and was told that I would have the price I agreed to . After the customer service was rude on the phone , they told me the gentleman I spoke with did not have ability to make those statements. Best day of having Direct TV will be the day I reach the two year mark and cancel my service.

tina

May 6th, 2015 Sabattus, ME

they have been good to me and they help me with packages around my range BETTER THEN CABLE

Steve Hasenauer

January 1st, 2015 Norwood, MA

I've had DirecTV for nearly 15 years. Stories of weather issues are greatly exaggerated assuming you have a good install. Our experience is SEVERE weather causes an issue for 30-60 seconds tops when the storm is on the horizon, or approaching. Once storm is overhead our service is perfect. Customer support has been outstanding when we very rarely need them. Picture quality is outstanding, and the equipment is second to none. I could never dream of leaving them. Rock steady service that is worth the price. They are not the cheapest, but they are one of the few services we have that we never, ever have to think about.

Rick

October 26th, 2014 Lake Worth, FL

I have been with Direct Tv for over ten years and believe they are getting too expensive and they don't give anything to customers that have a long history with them. I had to cut back on my services and that makes me mad. They don't take care of there long term customers. No breaks. You have to call to maybe get a pay channel for a couple of months. That's not keeping there customers happy. I am considering going with cable. I don't like losing my connection when it's stormy. Right now I am unhappy with Direct Tv. Paying a lot of money for watching tv? My bills have been around $80 for limited channels. That stinks. If they treated there long term customers with offers and good deals I would consider staying with them. Be aware. The fees are a rip off. Depending where you live. Give me a break.

Mark

October 24th, 2014 Middletown, OH

Direct tv offers a good service at a good value. More reliable then cable, better viewing package offers.

Clarence

October 23rd, 2014 Union City, NJ

I love my direct tv. I have over 250 channels and my bill is only $84.00 and I live in Pittsburgh and never have problems from weather for 2 reasons. 1. I insisted i was able to have access to the dish. 2. I spray it with rainex every 6 month it is an excellent for weather proofing

Chris marlow

October 21st, 2014 TX

The customer service reps lie about price and hidden fees! The technicians sign you up for the protection plan with out you knowing!

Matt

October 19th, 2014

Never any issues And great customer service

marilyn mathis

October 17th, 2014

I been with diretv all most 3 years and i love diretv they have good channel

Wendy Stanley

October 12th, 2014 Carlsbad, NM

the bill is never what they say it will be ... I have talked to a customer rep every month for the last 4 months . I have been told different payment every time . I wish I hadn't signed up for another 2 yrs . They suck at billing n the satellite goes out at least once a month . After this 2 yrs , I'll go back to cable .

Buddy Woodward

October 12th, 2014 Ada, OH

I love DirecTv.

eric

October 8th, 2014 Rock Hill, SC

The worst. I had signed up with the promise of getting Internet too. We're unable to get me Internet but wouldn't let me out of contract. Canceled and moved to a location that I can't get a signal and yet constantly sending me and calling me with offers to sign up. Each time I tell them I can't get a signal, they say they will make a note not to contact me anymore. Next month they call and send offers in the mail again. Waste of money.

joe vasquex

October 4th, 2014 Cibolo, TX

DirecTV is the best hands down they do not lie like Time Warner and all other cable companies they tell the truth like it is and do provide good service remember you get what you pay for and with DIRECTV they are simply the best

Alan kendall

October 3rd, 2014 Chicago, IL

don't like the fact that I can't move my TV from one side of living room to other with out paying for it or have cable ran across my ceiling

Jerry hampton

October 2nd, 2014 GA

I keep losing the guide. When bad weather comes I lose everything. The monthly bill is expensive. Direct TV is trying to have me connect to the internet. I don't need that. HBO had, at one time, had new movies once a month . No more. Other than that, everything is fine.

Justin

September 27th, 2014 Locust, NC

Have had dtv for a very long time. While some programming is good they have the boomerang channel on top tier at which will have to stay at top tier cause that's what my kids watch at all times.. however now I am involved in a move and called dtv...instead of offering new deal at discounted price as commercial and mail says, I called and they said that I would have to stay with same pricing if I moved. No sense at all, hence the reason we are thinking of making the switch. Have been with them for a long time and no discounted rates anymore or anything, no customer loyalty. Glad not under contract and it appears won't have a new contract for move hence the reason maybe switching. Customer service is ridiculous as it seems Noone knows what is going on and get switched to so many different reps and keep explaining everything over and over...ridiculous

Jon

September 27th, 2014 Lenoir, NC

The service is very reliable, but be prepared for the price hikes that will follow. Honestly, you will likely only ever watch about 20 of the 200 or so channels that are made available. In that regard you'll end up paying for useless junk. This is why they need to have a custom package offer, available at a reduced rate.

Matthew Petika

September 23rd, 2014 Apollo, PA

Tv service was decent , direct tv has alined it's self with a really bad internet satellite provider !! Hughes net , and it's really slow ! Worse then dial up ! So all this has done for direct tv , is garuntee I will never use thier service agian !!! Thanks for nothing direct

Rudy Almaraz

September 20th, 2014 Sanger, CA

Pay to much and I don't have any premium channels, called customer service and was given one day of premium channels. Been a customer for five years, but they didn't care.

john

September 19th, 2014 Mountain View, CA

Best picture quality for the price! Great for sport junkies.

Jacob ochoa

September 16th, 2014 Renton, WA

Wouldn't trade my Directv for anything. I have had Dish, Comcast, charter, time Warner and Verizon and by far Dtv is the best in picture, reliability, service. I have received discounts and credits simply by calling. I love the genie with the recording of 5 shows and not running out of recording space. Also love my Sunday ticket and the sports pack. Will never go back to cable

Amber

September 13th, 2014 Dover, AR

Ask them to suspend my service because I had medical problems. They did not do it and started taking random amounts of money out of my account. Sometimes twice a day.

Paige Leahy

September 11th, 2014 FL

Directv goes under as the worst home service I have ever gotten. On October 27, 2012 I was scheduled to wait on a directv employees from 8am to 12pm. The employee started out professional by keeping me updated with when he was going to arrive. He arrived a little before ten am. So i put three of my four dogs in a bedroom so they didn't bother him while he worked. My fourth dog was a rescue and always stayed on the porch or in the yard. He was very street and car smart. The directv employee showed me something black in his hand he said was used to scare off dogs. I didn't worry because though my dog was protective by barking, he never attempted to bite anyone. The employee continued to put the new satellite on the house. The dog never bothered him. The employee told me he would have to come back later to bring the HD receiver. The whole reason why he was supposed to be there. Later ended up being 7:30 pm. By this time he had brought a partner who I believe was high. As I'm watching ONE man work, another man walks in my house unannounced. NO knock. I jumped and told him he scared me. The third employee laughed and said, "She probly ain't never seen a black man before." I didn't appreciate that comment. After they were done they left and I heard what sounded like a taser, a dog yipe, then all three of them laughing hysterically. Then I heard the words, "That dog....well he gone now!" Followed by more laughter. They drive off and my dog was nowhere to be found. Until 8:00 am. He was so frightened that he ran down my road, right into the middle of the highway. Needless to say, my dog is dead. It happened all because three directv employees were unprofessional. I could understand if my dog attacked them and they had to retaliate. But if they were able to come into my house without getting bit, they were able to leave without getting bit. Here it is two years later. And despite my complaints and efforts, they didn't lose their jobs, I wasn't offered discounts, wasn't given an apology. And a sweet, innocent rescue dog is still gone. Yeah. I'd highly recommend any other company.

Jesse

September 8th, 2014 TX

Had trouble with HD channels none was showing had service about 3 months call be didn't get any help was without HD for 1 month an a half before I got it fix they charge me 50$ before they can do anything still gonna charge me for that month an a half that I was without HD

Americo Vega

September 7th, 2014 North Grafton, MA

Everything was great until my bill started getting higher and higher. Customer service was horrible and needed service done in my home and they wanted to charge me for someone to come out. So I canceled the service and returned the equipment. Now there billing me over $500 for equipment I returned. Very disappointing.

tom

September 4th, 2014 Sacramento, CA

Takes to long to retrieve stations, talked to customer service and they said their having problems with communications

Jacob

August 29th, 2014 Lexington, SC

Have had directv for about 3 years and haven't had any problems. The weather does play a factor, but the non HD channels do come in during bad weather. The customer service is always top notch.

Crystal wears

August 29th, 2014 San Francisco, CA

Last i paid my bill one customer service rep said it ok late and i thought he put in the computer when he didn't so when i was in a car accident and had no car. My cable got cut off and my disabled mother had to drive her scooter across town to pay it. I paid extra for 24 hr money gram they still couldn't put it on anfd my 2 young disabled children. couldnt watch tv until 2 days after

harvey lemay

August 24th, 2014 Windham, ME

never had a bad expeniice with customer service they always help me keep my bill cheap ty

Javier

August 22nd, 2014

Promotional packages a devil catch. The 80% of the chanels in the packages are garbage. Yo must to pay for chanels that worth. After promotion period you get the the big bite: a hike

joyce

August 18th, 2014

I don't like the way when you call in they send you to to this person who in turn sends you to someone else. It seems no one knows what they are talking about. They just keep you going from one room to next. Instead of getting. Someone to come out and work on the problem. Getting it fixed once and for all. They just send us to do the work. We are up in. Age and we can not do half the stuff they want us to do. They are fast to charge but not to repair

Jeff Miller

August 16th, 2014 Auburn, WA

All I can say is it works like it's supposed to and when something goes wrong they fix it. In all the years I've been doing business with DirecTv, I've only had one person in customer service that anything less than stellar. They bend over backwards to make me happy. That's worth a few more bucks - I've had Dish and Comcast neither of which was all that interested in keeping me as a customer.

Jon Barnes

August 16th, 2014

I have no problem with DirecTV been with them for over 10 years.

Georgie Roscow-Barnett

August 15th, 2014 Las Vegas, NV

I've been a Direct TV customer since 2007 and LOVE IT! Love the level service, excellent reception even in bad weather. Professional & friendly employees. All my favorite networks and amazingly low bill. I could not be more happy. Direct TV customer for life.

kim Bryant

August 8th, 2014 Washington, DC

Worst customer service ever!

Kristy

August 7th, 2014 Haslet, TX

DirecTV is a cable provider I will never use again. They have a decent channel line-up but the satellite goes out with bad weather. You pay a monthly fee for each receiver you have and you return them upon cancellation/contract ending. Customer service is horrible, when my contract ended the company took money out of my account to pay for the receivers that I had only sent back a week prior. My suggestions to EVERYONE considering switching to DirecTV is to pay by check. Do NOT and I repeat DO NOT let them have your debit/credit card info. If it's possible go with another provider.

Jim pitre

August 7th, 2014 Dallas, TX

Don't remember old email directv to high you offer 7.99 or 10.99 movies that suck and same programming month after month on your movie channels should have more and better choices for amount paid each month and once your a customer you don't care about them all promotions go to new customers should do something for customers who have been feeding you for years

Pam

August 7th, 2014

I switched for a tv show that was exclusive, and was quickly cancelled which upset me. I continued with directv and I am glad I have. I've never had a problem like my friends with competitors have.

Kristen

August 6th, 2014 Pleasant Grove, UT

Great television service. Poor customer service. Watch out for hidden fees when you sign up.

William

August 6th, 2014 Anaheim, CA

Great satellite service, great collection of HD channels. But the only problem is the price the prices are so redicilous. Just for having a basic channel line up it is still very expensive.

Robin Wheeler