For over 14 years, millions of people have trusted LegalZoom for both business and personal legal aid. LegalZoom states that "whatever your legal need, we have the answer." They provide assistance with copyrights, divorce, business formation, estate planning (trusts and wills), name changes, patent applications, a power of attorney, prenuptial agreements, real estate leases, and trademark registration.

View Best Online Legal Services Companies

#1 LegalShield chevron_right
#2 LawDepot chevron_right
3.4
2.4

The Good

• Services
  • Low Monthly Price
  • Access to an Attorney
  • Free QuickBooks Subscription
  • Member Resources
  • Most Popular Features

Services

Overall, LegalZoom has many great perks for its services. It offers personal level and small businesses legal assistance, at a very reasonable and competitive price. In addition, both personal and business plans give the customer access to a lawyer for questions on legal matters and legal advice.

Low Monthly Price

LegalZoom's prices for both personal and small business services are very competitive. Its monthly package fees start at $9.99 for individuals and $23.99 for business owners. These prices are almost half the price of some competitors, and hundreds of dollars cheaper than hiring a lawyer. These prices are based on LegalZoom's economy package.

Access to an Attorney

Both personal and business premium monthly plans include access to an attorney. These lawyers are familiar with the practice of law and have been known to provide excellent customer support. Customers can ask questions about their personal situation, seek advice through the whole process, and give access to legal documents or legal forms at any time. For example, a client can seek online divorce help and have documents reviewed by a lawyer through LegalZoom divorce review.

Free QuickBooks Subscription

Some of LegalZoom's Express Gold packages include a free short-term subscription to QuickBooks Online. This added bonus is especially useful for small business owners.

Member Resources

The LegalZoom website features an Article Center and a Video Center. These customer support features offer information and instructions in several categories of law.

LegalZoom's Most Popular Features

LegalZoom's legal services have been used to answer hundreds of legal questions and concerns. Among its most popular services are in helping people obtain a patent, building a business, and teaching people how to make wills and trusts.

• Business Formation-  LegalZooms's LLC Formation Service helps start many new businesses. Whether you need help forming a corporation or LLC LegalZoom's attorneys can help. The step-by-step instructions and help from attorneys make starting a business easier and save small startups lots of money throughout the entire process. Although this type of legal aid may require more time from its customers, it also can save companies hundreds of dollars.
  • Intellectual Property- A patent attorney on average costs $300 dollars an hour. That means if you hire an attorney and they ponder your case for an hour then you owe them $300 dollars. When you have an idea, LegalZoom's services might be a better option for you. The trademark application is simple and clear. LegalZoom will perform a trademark search to ensure your company isn't breaking any laws. Although you won't have all of the features you might have from hiring a personal lawyer, you also won't be charged the steep prices.
  • Wills and Trusts- Individual help with a will or trust can be quite useful. Many people do not want to hire a lawyer to assist them with their personal will or trust. This online legal service helps people quickly create and file their personal will or living trust.

These features have been used thousands of times and LegalZoom has made these processes simple and easy-to-use for its clients.

The Bad

• Additional Fee for Attorney Access
  • No Free Trial
  • Additional Charges
  • Not Unlimited
  • Negative Reviews

Although LegalZoom has many great features to its online legal services, there are a few drawbacks to consider. There is not a free trial for LegalZoom's services. There are additional charges and limitations to their business services. The limitations of LegalZoom are as follows:

Additional Fee for Attorney Access

The main concern with LegalZoom is that you can have access to an attorney, for a monthly fee. If you are paying for single use services or the economy package, you will be directed to its customer support team. LegalZoom's Customer Care Specialists, are not attorneys and are not as effective as talking to an actual lawyer. These Customer Care Specialists can provide general counsel but have many limitations to what they can and cannot say for each case. If you choose to pay for access to an attorney then the cost of the online legal service is much higher.

No Free Trial

Currently, LegalZoom does not offer a free trial for personal and business legal services. Without the ability to test out the services it is hard to know if this is a company you want to hire.

Additional Charges

With LegalZoom's business legal service package, LegalZoom only allows legal forms and paperwork with 10 pages or less to be reviewed before they charge you a fee. Additional page prices are: 11-15 pages: $39, 16 - 25 pages: $99, 26+ pages: consultation required. A filing fee is applied for filing many of its legal documents and paperwork. These expenses are traditionally in the basic packages other companies offer. But again, LegalZoom offers its basic price for much cheaper than its competitors.

Not Unlimited

LegalZoom's monthly business subscription plan is not unlimited. Customers are limited to a certain number of pages an attorney will write in a legal letter, the amount of time you have on the phone with attorneys, and several other limitations.

Negative Reviews

LegalZoom complaints are common from its customers. The main complaint of LegalZoom was customer service. Many individuals talked to LegalZoom and had poor experiences filing documents, had critical reviews of its customer service representatives, and reported a lack of help throughout the process. Although many of these clients used LegalZoom's economy package, which doesn't give clients access to LegalZoom's lawyer help, LegalZoom needs to train its Customer Care Specialist better to help its clients.

Paying for a premium package can ensure that you won't have these issues,  before putting your trust in the economy plan make sure you understand the risks.

The Bottom Line

Overall, LegalZoom offers great online legal services with several beneficial features, such as a QuickBooks subscription and educational member resources. The main selling point for LegalZoom is its incredible price, which is well below its competitors.

The main drawback to LegalZoom is having an additional fee for access to an attorney and other legal assistance. If your legal needs are beyond legal forms and paperwork, it may be wise to seek out an independent lawyer or law firm for legal representation and specific advice in unique legal matters.

View Best Online Legal Services Companies

2.4

Maurice cromwell
September 9th, 2019 Staten Island, NY

This has been the best customer service I have ever recieved thus far! My representative addressed me with open arms to the services legalzoom provides!

Gerald Fleenor
August 20th, 2019 Vancouver, WA DETAILS

Wonderful..long time Customer. Very helpful for a Saturday

Frank Yehle
August 20th, 2019 San Clemente, CA DETAILS

We used Legal Zoom to set up our LLC and file our Trademark Name. They took care of all the paperwork we needed.

Wakeel Akinwunmi
August 14th, 2019 Rosedale, NY DETAILS

Awesome and very helpful. They know what they are doing. Please keep it up.

Duane Johnson
August 13th, 2019

I want to thanks legalzoom for a good service.I recommend doing buisness with them.Cheap and effective.

[email protected]
August 13th, 2019 Rossford, OH DETAILS

Very Professional and organized when helping me get everything set up.

Brittney
June 27th, 2019 Youngsville, NC DETAILS

If I could give this company -5 stars I would. I feel word of mouth is the best advertisement, and I've made sure to Express my horrible experience to anyone who will listen. I have been sending emails about cancelling my services with Legalzoom as well as phone calls with their representatives. Emails are dated over 2 years ago. I had to change my credit card number with my credit card company because legal zoom would not stop feeing me for their unused services when I've requested many time to close my account. I have an outstanding CPA who has cost me so much less for their services vs legalzoom. I specifically stated in my emails and phone conversations to cancel my services with Legalzoom as the business is no longer running. Their representatives are incompetent and will almost always give you a different excuse than the last, of why the account can't be closed. A year later I am now receiving a collections $300 bill for the Registered Agent. Which I told them I wanted to cancel due to the business being gone. They confirmed today that they have received my request but did not process my request as I need to contact the Secretary of State and have it changed first. This is the first time out of the 3 years I've had my services with legal zoom they actually told me to contact the state my LLC is in and what document I need to have filed. I had to contact Missouri state (I live in NC) and obtain paperwork, fill it out and send it in to the courthouse before legal zoom would allow me to cancel my account. If you have extra cash to just throw away, this is the place for you. Scammed me out of over a grand. I have other friends with LLC who's stories match my experiences.

Doreen Belz
June 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Applied for LLC through legal zoom. Actually spoke to someone on the phone after completing online application as was concerned about the spelling of my name. People often spell my last name wrong. Well, after paying for the service I provided I get the documents with my middle name spelled wrong. Tersa, Who is named Tersa?! I spelled out Teresa twice to the woman on the phone. After calling LegalZoom regarding this they inform me they can only change some of the documents as the IRS will not speak to a third party. Understandable, but I paid for the convenience of not having to go through all that. Now I have to call the IRS. I'm expecting it not to be an easy fix in that I will be transferred from person to person. Would not recommend using LegalZoom as you may not get what you paid for. I didn't and I got and "I'm sorry" and "we can't."

Reese
May 20th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used LegalZoom to get legal documents. I used a rental agreement that they had prepared and it was perfect for what I needed. It wasn't too expensive and saved me the hassle of hiring an attorney, but at the same time provided the assurance that I was protected in the contract and that it was all legal.

Karrie
May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I needed a rental agreement for a house we ended up renting out and I looked one place and that was all it took, LefalZoom. The website was easy to find exactly what I needed and the template was self explanatory. If I ever need quick legal help again I will go to LegalZoom.

Dean
May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

LegalZoom is a great website and business for all of your legal needs. I have used them multiple times for business and personal reasons. I love their templates for contracts and their help setting up more complex things. I would recommend them to anyone looking for some legal help.

Mike T
April 16th, 2019 Greensboro, NC DETAILS

It seems their goal is to up sell you on services you don't need and then make it extremely difficult to cancel those services. I've been trying to cancel them as my 'Registered Agent' for months now, I keep getting the run around saying they're going to do it then find out it's not done. I may have to get my credit card company to do a back charge since LegalZoom seems incapable of making this simple change for me, yet unsurprisingly they don't have any problems billing me $500/yr for the service they are incapable of cancelling.

unhappy customer
March 29th, 2019 Palm Springs, CA

They only eager to take your money and pass your problem to customer service. Lied about refunds. Do NOT USE LEGAL ZOOM!

Joe
March 27th, 2019 Katy, TX DETAILS

Pretty disappointing that a lot of companies have 0 integrity and are slick. I used legal zoom to register an llc for me and I told them that I do not need them to be our registered agent, every one know you can be your own registered agent. I have had my card info changed since I have ever done business with them which is over a year ago and they have contacted me numerous time in the last few months and I told them I don't need their service. They just got 400 dollars from my acct and I still have no clue how they got my info, they must have gone to my financial institution and told them I have an automatic deduction. I never authorized them to get 1 dollar from me outside of me paying them to register our company. They know exactly what they are doing, slicksters

Tammye Schillinger
February 6th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS

OMG! I wish I would have known that legalzoom was a scam business. I paid $948 for the Express Gold package to start my non-profit. I haven’t received one thing from them. I have sent emails to them and I receive one response stating that I could not be refunded. All other emails have gone unanswered. They will not pick up the phone or return your calls. STAY AWAY FROM LEGALZOOM. THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND PROVIDE NO DOCUMENTS. YOU WILL RECEIVE ZERO SERVICE!

Ryan Curtright
December 11th, 2017 Centralia, WA DETAILS

I used Legalzoom for filing a trademark. Basically once they file you cannot receive a refund, even if they screw up the application. Our trademark was denied and we now have an office action. When the trademark was submitted I did talk to someone from Legalzoom, however, I know now that you do not talk to lawyers, instead you are talking to legal aids from Legalzoom that advise you. Now that I have hired a law firm to help with the office action, which is costing us more money, they informed me, and I quote them "I would personally ask LegalZoom for your money back because it is 100% clear to me that the specimen you submitted with your trademark application is not an acceptable trademark specimen." So, had I talked to a real lawyer instead of Legalzoom, they would have recognized that the specimen submitted would not be acceptable, but Legalzoom is either incompetent at best, or at worst allow customers to fail applications (patent and trademark included) so that they can make more money on you when/if you use them to solve the problems caused by their incompetence upon filing. See how that works? They make no guarantees and you really don't talk to a lawyer when go over your trademark application. To add insult to injury, the well known trademark law firm we are using now costs the same, if not a little less, than using Legalzoom and I am so much happier working with them. They are 100% more professional and knowledgeable than anyone I ever talked to through Legalzoom. It is completely ridiculous that the legal aid did not know our specimen would not be accepted. Through dealing with the process I can now look the specimen we submitted and know that it would not meet the requirements for the trademark application. I will make another note that I did use Legalzoom to create our LLC, and while things did not happen quickly, we were successful and I have no complaints on the service. That being said, I will not use Legalzoom again. They are simply document pushers and not really legal advisers in any way! I wish I had read reviews before choosing to use their services!

Shirley Withrow
August 3rd, 2017

Attempted to reach customer service to inquire about an LLC corp which I believed was filed in the wrong state. The representative that took the phone order did not have adequate knowledge to the questions being asked before filing paperwork. Instead, it was all about "getting the sale completed". Legal Zoom talked a good game attempting to earn your business, but their customer service follow-up is less than poor. I've been trying to reach an individual now for over a week, and finally today demanded to speak with a supervisor. I was assured that information would be obtained, and I would receive a call back within hours, not days. To my surprise, I received some sort of email with a partially translated conversation from my original order, with complete sections deleted and/or not transcribed. No follow-up call, no anything. There is only one word to describe this organization, and it's unprofessional. I was assured that we would work together to resolve this problem. Well, I now must file my own paperwork in the proper state, and pay hundreds of dollars. Do yourself a favor.....do your homework before you consider using this company; phone your state organization, and file the paperwork yourself. At least if there is a mistake, you can claim ownership. Something Legal Zoom does not yet understand.

Sharron Wilson
January 23rd, 2017 Mission Viejo, CA

Wouldn't use them again. Ended up costing me more money to fix the work they did on incorporating than if I would have gone some place better to begin with. Ended up paying more taxes because of them too; late fees as their paperwork was not completed correctly and it affected my taxes due too. Really lame company. I would not advise using it.

Justin Sirois
November 5th, 2016 Burlington, NJ

sleek website and dashboard. poor customer service. conflicting information and slow service. faster (and cheaper) to do it ourselves on the state website. If you want a fast and efficient and error free service; we need to find another provider

Kathy Vasquez
October 28th, 2016 Pomona, CA

OMG The worst service EVER. They screwed around with my corporate paperwork and then charged me a 350 expedited when we ran out of time. NEVER AGAIN. Pay a real attorney extra to have it done right in teh first place

Jennifer Gold
June 29th, 2016 Camp Hill, PA

Website advertises entity name checks prior to filing LLC papers, and advises that these take 10-15 minutes during business hours. 4 hours later, Customer Service says they haven't started those today, and it will likely be 24-48 hours. 3 days later, a followup phone call gets the news that they "forgot" to send me electronic results - the name is already used.

Wade Steelman
April 11th, 2016 Oceanside, CA

Shockingly horrible. They claim they file documents with the State and I should receive documents from the State After 45 days I have received nothing and when I call Legal Zoom I'm told its my reasonability to call the State. After calling the State no documents have been filed. Also using their product reminder calendar, it gives reminders to file documents that have all ready been filed. The reminder the calendar links you to the product to pay for it even though you paid for the annual product 3 months ago.

Greg
January 7th, 2016 Seattle, WA

Worse customer service I have ever had to contact. First call I was transferred five times and the second time I called I was told it would take two days to email me a signed doc I had just mailed them. Their cust service seems to be a popular topic across the web. The have no concept of good customer service.

Bryan H
June 18th, 2015

LegalZoom was a huge help in starting my company and providing all of the legal help that I needed to navigate the space. The attorneys in their network were able to answer all of my questions and even told me what to expect in the future with issues that may come up. Absolutely loved working with them on my LLC and getting the legal advice I needed without spending a fortune!