Best Company Guarantee Better.com Logo

Better.com

7.3

LAST UPDATED: October 19th, 2021

Better.com (also known as Better Mortgage) entered the digital mortgage market in 2016. The company's mission is to completely redefine the homeownership process and make it simple, fast, and affordable — for everyone.

As far as mortgage options, Better.com offers the following:

• Conventional mortgages
  • Adjustable-rate mortgages
  • Jumbo loans
  • FHA loans
  • Refinancing (conventional and FHA)
  • First-time homebuyer programs

Unlike traditional mortgage lenders, consumers can expect to get a personalized quote and be pre-approved in just a few minutes.

Better.com is a direct lender.

The Good

• Application 100% Online
  • Simple, Straightforward Process
  • Loan Officers Don't Earn Commission
  • No Lender Fees
  • Additional Resources

Application 100% Online

Better.com's mortgage application is 100 percent online. This means you can apply, lock in a rate, and get your mortgage funded without ever leaving your home.

Simple, Straightforward Process

Consumers should appreciate Better's straightforward process. To get started, all you need to do is select whether you're buying a home or refinancing.

If you choose the 'buy' option, you'll need to fill out some general information — things like whether you're just looking or if you plan on making an offer.

If you choose the 'refinance' option, be prepared to fill out some information regarding your property.

Filling out the online application should only take a few minutes, and once that's done, Better.com presents you with the amount you can borrow or how much you potentially can save (with a refinance).

Overall, the process is straightforward. Just be sure to have your personal information and property information (if you're refinancing) on hand.

Loan Officers Don't Earn Commission

Better.com is unique because its loan officers don't earn a commission — this is not entirely unheard of in the industry but it's uncommon.

According to Better.com, mortgage loan officers generally receive about one percent of the total loan amount. If your mortgage loan officer gets you a $500,000 loan, they get $5,000 in commission.

Generally, the bigger the loan, the bigger the commission.

This creates a problem for consumers, as many loan officers are tempted to stick you with a considerable loan amount so they'll receive a larger commission for themselves.

To make sure there is no conflict of interest, Better Mortgage loan officers are never paid commission.

No Lender Fees

Better.com doesn't charge any lender fees. There are no origination, application, processing, or underwriting fees.

How is this possible?

Better explains that it makes money by selling loans to investors in the secondary market.

The company boasts it has developed relationships with over 25 of the largest mortgage investors in the world — this includes large banks, investment funds, and government-sponsored entities. This sets Better Mortgage apart because most other lenders only work with a few investors, limiting their pool of buyers.

Using its technology, Better matches borrowers with investors interested in buying their loans and paying a reasonable price for them. This then allows Better to offer low rates to its borrowers.

Additionally, Better's rates are lower because of the company's dedication to streamlining the mortgage process.

Additional Resources

Better's website is filled with helpful information and resources. You can easily view mortgage rates. There is a loan comparison calculator, and the company's blog is packed with valuable articles that are great for everyone — no matter where you are in the home-buying process.

The Bad

• No Home Equity Loans or HELOCs
  • No VA or USDA Loans
  • Not Available Nationwide

No Home Equity Loans or HELOCs

Currently, Better.com does not offer home equity line of credit (HELOCs) or second mortgages. HELOCs can be beneficial as they are secured loans backed by your home. With HELOCs, you are given access to a credit line (similar to a credit card) and only charged interest on the amount you use. HELOCs can be used to remodel your home, pay off student and other debt, or fund a vacation (there are no restrictions on how HELOCs can be used).

No VA or USDA Loans

Better.com does not offer VA or USDA loans at this time.

Not Available Nationwide

Better.com offers its services to more than 40 states but still is unavailable in some states.

Although Better.com notes it has plans to become available nationwide soon, it's not quite there.

That said, if you live in the following states, Better.com is currently not an option:

• Hawaii
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • Nevada

The Bottom Line

Better.com is the perfect solution for those who prefer to house shop from the comfort of their home. Starting the process is as simple as clicking a button. Next thing you know, you're receiving a personalized quote in just a few minutes. Plus, you never have to worry about whether your loan officer has your best interest in mind. Better.com loan officers are never paid commission, so that is never an issue.

Just remember Better.com doesn't offer home equity loans and lines of credit, VA loans, or home improvement loans.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Mayra

They would get back to me whenever I was confused or needed an answer to something or if the other party wasn't working well with methey would contact them and get the information that was needed. Our customer support was fantastic. Everything was done properly and after we started the process they did everything in a timely manner and they would work through it and I trusted that everything else would fall in place. If I need to use a mortgage company again I would a hundred percent go back to better.com because they made the whole process seamless from from beginning through the end for my closing date. They made it very very easy for me, I filled out the paperwork, I did my free loan estimate just to see what I qualified for and then when I decided to go with better.com I just need one phone call and they took care of the restaurant you send everything through email and through Docu-Sign and paperwork was done almost instantly.

Valentin Houston, TX

A very transperant process, and everyone that I dealt with throughout the process did a great job of explaining what everything was and or the rationale behind the step in the process.

Tary McMillan Onalaska, TX

All contact was very friendly, professional and knowledgeable. Buying a home is always very stressful, but Better make it less so. Anytime I had a question or concern I could contact them and they were available to answer my question/concern and lessen my stress.

Michael

Everything was very, very easy. Any forms that I put on there when they needed information, they just let me know and if I needed to ask a question I can just call and got someone at any point in time and they were able to walk me through it. They were easy to reach if the person I was working with wasn't available they just got someone else who helped me through it or let me know when to call back. They were always reachable and always pretty easy to work with.

Erik

Everything was on paper, everything was made very transparent to me so there were no surprises. If I ever had any questions I was able to get in contact with somebody relatively quickly for any questions I might have had about any documentation I needed for it. Every step of the process is kind of laid out pretty simply and whenever more stuff is required it was very easy to to go through the process. It was a very painless very straightforward process.

Candice

Overall it was super easy everything was done via text or my dashboard on the computer and it made it really easy to understand. Every question I posted was answered within that day and they always reached out to me whenever there was a new person brought on to the team so it was not overwhelming. They have a fantastic business model and they are real people, not robots that reach out. They have a business model of just trying to make the everyday person mortgage experience easier and better it doesn't have to be as complicated and expensive so they have this new fresh business model that I just really love.

Nicole Clement Providence, RI

The process for refinancing was not as easy (or less expensive) as described in the marketing materials for Better. Although the customer service was good, I found that I was not fully informed of important aspects of the process - making the brick and mortar lenders a more appealing refinancing option.

Danielle Hazel Alexandria, VA

Everyone was very professional, responsive, and helpful. The interest rate was very good and there weren't any hidden charges. Everyone and the process seemed very honest.

The process and everything else is good, my experience is good with better.com the only problem I have is, it's very difficult to get in touch with anybody and typically cannot get a hold of them. Disconnected customer experience in terms of service. Apart from that the process the structure of the online models that's always good. But then yeah when you run into questions that's when you'll start experiencing multiple people responding and nobody knowing exactly what the answer would be.

Overall its good, any new platform you want it to be more solid and that would make the costumer feel more confident in every action people take have a always have a way to figure out the out come and if anything goes wrong people can easily track them. I contacted the support four to eight times and they stopped to respond and help soon and simply solved my problem quickly so I'm satisfied with that.

Christiane

Seems really easy to me. I really can't complain, the website is very interactive. I was able to upload documents easily so it was it was really easy. I think everybody was real nice but the the time zone difference. I think they are based in California and I'm on the east coast so that made it a little bit harder when I needed something. I think it's a great service. In the beginning I was a little dubious about it just because these days everyone's been worried about things not actually being ligitimate.The general product is great.

I could not always get a hold of my person that I was working with same day, it was usually the call they were not available have to you know wait for them to call me back. It went pretty smoothly except a couple of times there was some confusion going back and forth on changing some stuff in the quote. And It was a little stressful because I was trying to do the refinance to cash out to take care of obligations that I had and it was on the time line and they did ask for a lot of documentation.

Elizabeth

Better.com has a little better comparable rates. The benefits is that it is easy to use. My wife is pregnant with twins. We needed it right when we signed. It was pretty seamless. We didn't have to find babysitters. We didn't have to worry about getting a cold. It is not perfect. There are some small things that could be better but overall I would definitely recommend it. It would be helpful if there were some sort of portal or tool that showed our loan. The people behind it are great but there was a lot of back and forth.

Meagan

I am very glad I did it. It was really easy. I didn't have to get on the phone to get a quote. Customer service is much better than I had with other companies. It is easy to get follow ups. I didn't feel rushed or bombarded. I was given all the right information. The woman was friendly. I would definitely use them again the future.

Timothy

Everybody in the process was helpful and answered my questions quickly. The technology is very easy. It is easy for a first mortgage. They are transparent. I was confused about the rate but customer service was able to help me figure it out.

Guy

It is the best rate and the easiest way to submit all the documents. They are very responsive. I wish there was an electronic signature option that didn't cost more. It doesn't make sense when it is cheaper for everyone involved.

Latanya

I would check them out. The loan is easy to obtain. The process is seamless. Their guys kept me informed the whole way through and every time I had a question, I would reach ot and they answered it pretty easily. It is a good value.

Derian

Each person I talked to was super nice and helpful. They made it super easy to do online. It is nice to be able to check and see your rates. They were super responsible and responsive and helpful. Anytime I called, I was able to talk to the person assigned to my file.

Ryan

It was great. I chose them because I liked the visual of my experiences. It was an easy process. Most of it was online. I could submit documents online and it was super easy. I always had some to contact me to see if I needed anything or had questions.

Alyssa

Definitely glad I did it. The user interface was really easy to use. I like having a personalized assignment. I felt I could reach to somebody at any time. I knew anyone I talked to could answer my question. I feel they are better than traditional banks.

Cheryl

Process is pretty user friendly and I think they were pretty successful. There were a couple of snags but it ended up working fine. The customer support was actually pretty good. It was very helpful when we could talk to someone. There were a couple of times when we called with a specific question and we would have to wait for the loan officer to call us back. It would be useful to have their extension number instead of just their email.

Joseph

I researched my options pretty intensively and Better.com provided the best rates and I came to be very intrigued and pleased with the their technology. I could upload all the information easily, I could see my progress on the web, and the technology was very competent and I had prompt technical support from the from the experts I was able to reach through messaging within the app is well as emails.

Benjamin

Our friends went through the process and said it was easy so we decided to give it a shot and see how the program works. Everything went quickly and easily with no challenges or difficulties especially compared to working with traditional mortgage companies like Wells Fargo. In comparison it was far easier and far faster than anything I've done in the past. Better.com took like seven days, whereas traditionally mortgage companies have taken probably three to four weeks.

Ju-Fang

The reason I chose Better.com was that you can operate it and submit all the forms online and I assume it's in good hands without any privacy issues. I think overall experience has been pretty good. I think you should ask your loan officers to verify most important item you need first before asking for all other not so important documents because I had to scramble through a lot of things that make a lot of phone calls four days five days before the closing to make all the documents prepared and ready. It was a little scary because I thought maybe I took to long but it worked out.

Robert

It was very easy and customer service was insanely good. They were just he best customer service company I've dealt with all year. They respond lightning quick they answer your questions before you ask them and no matter what the request for what they had used to document the information or whatever you needed they had it for you. The customer service is the single best part of this company I mean every single individual I worked with was really working for you.

Justin

It was easier to deal with them than quicken loans. That took like three months instead of one month to close with better.com and everyone was pretty helpful as far as getting the documents and keeping the process moving forward so I was happy with that. I really like the website how you can see all the different terms and rates depending on how much you wanted to pay, it's right there in front of you.

Jeffrey

I've refinanced a couple times before and the process with Better.com was so much more streamlined than any other experience I've had before. They had the best rates. There was some miscommunication, the automated emails sort of contradicted what I actually needed to do when speaking with the loan officer, but other than that they're great. I would absolutely recommend them.

I chose Better because you made the whole process much simpler than any of the other providers and very quick. The only feedback is when I was going to the approval process at some point you guys asked for an IRS transcript and I got an email from some third party about that and it would be nice get a notification within the task list to look out for that third party--it kind of slowed me down slightly so the loan would have been a little bit quicker had I known.

Beverly Harvey Palm Harbor, FL

It was so convenient! My favorite part was having the ability to change terms to explore different price and payment scenarios.

Marnie Bodine Prosser, WA

Being able to complete everything online was great. Their "task list' made it very easy to know what needed to be taken care of.

Gina Wilson Philadelphia, PA

Communication internally could have been better. I was asked for things already on file or to explain/provide background regarding issues on several occasions.

Rishi

It was very easy with the online process. The application was very transparent. I didn't use customer support a lot, I had a couple of questions and they were all answered quickly.

Robert

It went so smoothly. I'm just not too sure if it'll be the absolute best price in terms of interest rates. They answer every phone call and every question in detail and then some questions before I ask.

Angele

The process was very smooth, I wasn't overwhelmed. I liked how they assign tasks and then I can move on to the next step. It was pretty thorough. The quicker you do the task the quicker the process is.

Charles

It wasn't a perfect experience but in the end they did a pretty good job. They responded promptly when we had questions. They were able to clarify what we were asking for. The only thing I wish they would have done differently is initiate contact with our former lenders and try to expedite emails.

Janine

They gave us the best rate. All my questions were answered but whoever I was working with wasn't aware of a specific law. I was told I could do it at home but I had to go to the title company. I would still recommend them because they do have knowledgeable people.

Greg

There was little bit of a hiccup when the loan was transitioned from the loan service to mister cooper but other than that it was fairly smooth. It is pretty straightforward. The people are very responsive.

Kayla

No issues at all. Everyone was very responsive to any questions we had. Everything is streamlines. It is really easy to navigate. I am happy. We wanted something with an electronic experience and it was convenient.

Kostas

Better.com is very streamlined and easy to use. There was a confusion on the type of loan so it got a bit messed up but the process is phenomenal, my personal experience just wasn't what I wanted.

Michael

Better.com beat the interest rate and closing cost of any my local lenders and institutional lenders. They were able to accurately give me an interest rate. It did not change from the moment it was quoted. Customer service is open late at night.

Kevin

As far as getting a mortgage, it was a great experience. If I had a question, it was answered quickly. Communication was great. I couldn't imagine it going better. I am very happy.

Wade

It was pretty painless. The app is well designed. I liked the user experience. I hardly ever had to wait on them. I got my stuff done, they got there stuff done. We were able to close very quickly.

I am very happy with my experience. It was really easy and fast. There were no major issues. There was always a live person to take my calls and the loan processer would generally return my phone calls in a few hours.

All my questions were answered in a timely manner. They were very accommodating. They have excellent customer service. They went above and beyond. They really explained it to me and worked with me. They were amazing.

I'm really happy with the experience I had. They had a good rate. I really like the web portal for submitting documents and checking status. I get in touch with someone knowledgeable but sometimes it took 24 hours to get an answer.

Alistair

Better.com has the cheapest rates and I liked that everything was done online. Sometimes I would get requests for things and after a few days it would be cleared up. There seem to be a lot of errors going on behind the scenes.

Angela

Everyone was really easy to work with. They helped me through the process. It was easy to reach someone when I needed to. It is easy to maneuver the process. It was streamlined.

Fernando

Everything was very easy to manage. I could do most of it online. They responded to all my questions. I was able to get a loan form overseas the first time but the second time, at the end of the process they told me they could not process it. They should train everybody on this topic.

Erica

Most of the people are really friendly and get back to you. I do feel sometimes they don't get back to you as soon as you hoped. I would recommend they get faster at that. Everything was flat out simple. There wasn't much delay on the loan. I already knew what documents they needed and it was easy to upload everything. It is my top pick.

Customer service was very thorough in explanations and quick to respond even though everything was by text and phone. Everybody was very friendly quick to respond and probably the easiest one I've ever done.