LifeFone

LifeFone

LifeFone has been in the Personal Emergency Response System business since 1976. Over the years, the LifeFone medical alert system has earned the recommendation of hospitals, area agencies on aging, home health care providers, and geriatric care managers as an integral part of a customer's overall care program.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 9.1 8.6 Read Review
#2 8.8 9.1 Read Review
#3 6.7 8.5 Read Review
#7 5.7 7.9 Current

The Good

• Price
  • Contract
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • Monitoring
  • Customer Service
  • Lifetime Price Guarantee
  • Caregiver Tools
  • Mobile Apps

LifeFone's Medical Alert System has a long list of no-cost benefits, with devices backed by a Lifetime Warranty and access to LifeFone's nationwide 24/7 monitoring centers in the event of an emergency with just the press of a button.

LifeFone provides several benefits, including:

• Price: Depending on the package, LifeFone charges anywhere from $24.95 to $51.95 per month for various nonstop monitoring and emergency dispatch services. There are no activation or equipment fees associated with setting up the account. Spouses are protected for free with the basic service, but you must add $5-10 per month for automatic fall detection.
  • Contract: LifeFone offers members a monthly, quarterly, and yearly subscription service. There is no contract. If members wish to terminate the service, they can do so at any time at no charge under LifeFone's Lifetime Warranty. If members have prepaid for their service, they will receive a refund on any unused, prepaid service. Every LifeFone unit is backed by this warranty and LifeFone equipment will be replaced at no charge.
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty: Every LifeFone unit is backed by a lifetime equipment warranty and LifeFone equipment will be replaced at no charge.
  • Monitoring: LifeFone monitors 24/7 and provides optional Fall Detection with each of its systems. Their fall detection pendants' built-in sensors will detect a fall and instantly contact LifeFone's call center for help.
  • Customer Service: LifeFone's professional Emergency Care Agents are on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Lifetime Price Guarantee. Whatever price customers pay upon signup will not be changed for the duration of the plan unless they switch to a new plan or product.
  • Caregiver Tools: LifeFone can also help you with some of the more routine but important aspects of daily living to ensure your wellbeing. The company offers additional care tools such as check-in services, medication reminders, system status alerts, and subscriber location service for those who subscribe to their on-the-go systems.
  • Mobile Apps: LifeFone has two smartphone apps, Mobile Alert™ and Family Guard™. Family Guard allows families and/or caregivers to have the ability to configure family monitoring and tracking for the individual, while also having a separate Mobile Alert app for the individual to get help anywhere in the U.S. through their cellular service.

The Bad

• Fall Detection Fee
  • Response Time
  • Certified

LifeFone has been in operation since 1976, so it must be doing something right. With its free benefits, guarantees, warranties, and a long list of product benefits, there isn't much to complain about.

However, here are the possible drawbacks:

• Fall Detection Fee: As mentioned before, there is an additional $5 fee for Fall Detection on the Landline Plan. After that, it is an additional $10/month for additional Fall Detection pendants.
  • Response Time: LifeFone has one of the slower response times compared to almost all other medical alert companies in the industry. Note that it may take them up to 60 seconds to respond to emergencies after the personal help button has been pressed.
  • Certified: Though LifeFone's monitoring team has undergone extensive training, it is difficult to determine--based on the information from their site--whether these monitors are EMT-certified, as is required by several other medical alert companies.

The Bottom Line

LifeFone provides service to those who want to know that they can get help fast in any kind of emergency (medical, police or fire), both at home and/or on the go. This gives seniors the chance to enjoy the comfort of living independently while still being able to receive emergency medical assistance at any time. LifeFone's friendly customer care agents are trained and standing by 24/7 ready to assist in an emergency. LifeFone is a respected and reputable medical alert company with a plethora of positive features, but the slightly-longer response time and unclear EMT certifications might be a turnoff for some customers. If this is the case, it's recommended that customers look into top competitors.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

10 LifeFone Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 12th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

My experience with Lifefone has been excellent, whenever I have concern or question about anything they are ready to answer and help me out. They are very professional and understanding and take their time to help me test my system every month. I would definitely recommend Lifefone.

June 7th, 2017 New York, NY

was very impressed last month when my mother needed to be taken to a doctor after pressing her lifefone button. The customer service was friendly and expedient and feel peace of mind-- definitely recommend this service. BD

November 2nd, 2016 New York, NY

We got this service for my Mom 2 years ago and we have been very pleased with it. Lifefone has gotten her help quickly every time she needs it, she falls quite often. They also call us every time to let us know whats going on, which is great! The operators are really patient with her. We recommend lifefone to all our friends who worry about their parents being alone. So good job!

August 5th, 2016 Miami, FL

My mother has had LifeFone since my father died six years ago. The service gives us both tremendous peace of mind. She is very particular, and she finds the people there to be both helpful and professional. We had a false alarm about nine months ago when her phone was busy for hours. I didn't know what to do, as I was living in another state. I was ready to get on a plane, fearing the worst. I called LifeFone for advice, and the LifeFone agent was wonderful. She suggested that she send a police officer to do a welfare check. It turned out that my mother had left the phone off the hook. LifeFone gave me a simple and fast solution. They were reassuring and effective at a time when I was panicking, and I am very grateful.

July 22nd, 2016 Bay Shore, NY

We got LifeFone for my mom who lives 1000 miles away in a rural area. She'd had a mild heart attack and was weak on her feet, and we were all worried she would fall and not get help for hours. I feel so much better knowing she can speak with someone immediately, who will get her help quickly. The customer service people were very kind and patient with us when we called with questions. My sisters and I are glad that we chose this company.

July 20th, 2016 Poughkeepsie, NY

We are very happy with the piece of mind having LifeFone gave me and my family. Knowing our mother is only the push of a button away from getting help if she needs it reassures us all. All the people I've dealt with, from the Central Station to billing qustions we had were, were very helpful and easy to deal with.

April 16th, 2016 West Bend, WI

Had LIFEFONE for 2 years - not knowing there was no landline. Paid for an unavailable service & was never advised accordingly.

2 1

February 3rd, 2016 Fort Myers, FL

I bought LifeFone for my grandmother last year. She has used it a few times now and the employees at LifeFone were very nice and seemed helpful when we talked to them. We are very happy because she wears it all the time and we even recommended it to our neighbor!

October 24th, 2015 Clarkston, MI

We've had this for a few days now and are happy with the system and the response team and intend to keep the system for the long term. After the initial sale, their customer service can be exasperating. It took several calls to get satisfactory responses to product issues, exchanges, etc. Often, promises were made to fulfill my requests but nothing happened and then additional calls were required. I finally learned out of exasperation to email service@lifefone.com to receive prompt and effective service. I hope we're through the "growing pains" and will do well from now on.

June 11th, 2015 Troy, IL

It worked great until they updated something then it didn't work. Spent hours trying to get it work. Wouldn't give me a refund for the time it didn't work...said it's my phone line though nothing changed but their update.