GreatCall

GreatCall

GreatCall is a leading provider of cell phones and alarm systems which are engineered to get you assistance right away. Famous safety advocate John Walsh is the Vice Chairman of GreatCall, and he is dedicated to providing life-saving health and medical alarm devices that are reliable and cost-effective.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 9.1 8.6 Read Review
#2 8.8 9.1 Read Review
#3 6.8 8.5 Read Review
#29 3.4 3.9 Current

The Good

• Medical Monitoring
  • Pricing
  • Contracts

Medical Monitoring

GreatCall offers cutting-edge medical monitoring services for their customers. By combining medical monitoring with cellular phone service, they provide a unique option for seniors on the go.

Pricing

Pricing for monitoring is dependent on the service options selected, but in many cases is competitive, considering that cellular phone service and medical monitoring is bundled. Customers purchase their equipment, which is affordable, compared to many cell phone carriers. Seniors have the choice of a flip phone, an Android™ phone or a simple medical alert system. Different colors are available.

Contracts

GreatCall is one of the few companies in the industry that does not require customers to sign a long-term contract for medical alert services. This provides an added measure of flexibility for customers on a fixed income. For those not wanting to combine their cellular phone service with medical monitoring or those for whom the network does not cover, a mobile medical monitoring device is available which is waterproof and easy to carry/wear. Additionally, a landline service is not required to receive medical alerts.

The Bad

• Fees
  • Smartphone
  • Data Plans

Fees

GreatCall functions a bit differently than their primary competitors and has added equipment fees as well as activation fees. Some customers have complained about the added telecommunication fees which appear on their accounts which are required by federal law for mobile phone service providers and customers.

Smartphone

The jump to a full Android™ Smartphone might be difficult for some seniors and use might be more difficult for those with dexterity problems. The interface for the phone is simplified, but it still might be difficult for some to use.

Data Plans

Data plans are available but can be a bit pricey.

The Bottom Line

Customers wanting to replace their current cellular plans and receive easy medical monitoring will be pleased with the offerings of GreatCall. Their Android™ devices are pre-loaded with several medical monitoring apps, allowing for one-tap assistance. However, for some customers using their cell phones with an unlimited plan, the limits on minutes, texts, and data will feel restrictive. Plans vary, but customers should track their current average use in order to decide if the plan limitations will work for them. Phones and service are available at selected Sears, Best Buy, Rite Aid and Walmart Pharmacies nationwide, so customers can purchase and receive their equipment quickly. Customer service representatives at any of these stores are not necessarily trained by GreatCall, and may not give accurate information, so customers should speak directly to a GreatCall customer service representative before purchase if they have any questions. At this time, GreatCall is recommended as a solid option for mobile medical alert services.

View Top Rated Companies

122 GreatCall Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

August 21st, 2017 Prescott, AZ

Chatting with Jessey from billing department. He would not HELP me. I told him SOMEONE from GC is shutting on an off my phone and as it resulted by frying my cell phone. The data keeps going up and then they fry your phone if you don't pay $100.00 per monthm for 1 gig stay away fro g.c. if you use data. They have so many apps RUNNING you cant shut off. They claim nobody's over supervisory over Jesse. What a joke. I cancelled. Cannot get a new phone cause they still want $30.00 afer your still paying

0 0

August 16th, 2017 Lexington, KY

Last year, my mother began to need help with her affairs. She has a Jitterbug phone. We called Great Call together and the representative suggested I be added to my mother's account so that I could act on her behalf. I was so impressed with the proactive customer service. Today, for the first time, I actually attempted to act on my other's account. I was sure it would be no problem because of the helpful rep who added me to the account over a year ago. My mom's payment which has for years been charged to her credit card was rejected. Her credit card company had issued a new card number to her because of a security breach. I called customer service expecting to easily and quickly give them the new card number. The rep told me that because I did not know MY "password" (which I don't remember the courteous rep even offering to me when she added to me to the account), I was told I could not update my mother's information. I asked to speak to a supervisor who stuck to the same story. I wasn't trying to do anything other than update the information so that this company could be paid. I can provide ALL pertinent information to identify my mother or myself but all they would accept was this mysterious "password" that I've never heard of. For a company that markets to seniors, surely they can do better than this! They were haughty and arrogant as well.

2 0

August 16th, 2017

I am very satisfied with the Lively. Since I had it I have not fallen, but I once flung the lanyard on to my bed when I was dressing and Immediately I got a call, "Are you all right?" Very reassuring. The only complaint is the constantly flashing light while I am charging it at night. I like to keep it nearby, in case I need it, but have to charge it somewhere that the flashing light will not keep me awake. I hope the company is working on this because others have complained.

0 1

August 13th, 2017

I have used the heat call pendant for 3 years now. I have MS and live alone. I have had to use the great call 3 different times and was pleased with the service I received. The operators stayed on the line until help arrived after a fall. I've recommended it to several friends.

0 0

August 12th, 2017

the device they sent as new didn't hold a charge. Terrible customer service. Don't buy

1 1

August 11th, 2017 Atlanta, GA

These guys are a total rip off in my opinion . Their medical alert device service is shoddy and doesn't work for us in a large metro area. They won't cancel the service, and continue to bill when the service is cancelled. Customer service is rude, will lie to you and laugh about it. They will charge a "restocking" fee on activation return. Go Else Where!

4 1

August 10th, 2017 Meridianville, AL

I have been a client for many years. The Splash was a great device with lots of battery life. They only offer the Lively now and it will not stay charged 8 hours. My new device is only 6 weeks old and will not charge at all now. I have no choice but to cancel my service and return the device. If they wake up and offer the Splash device again I will consider having an account again. They have finally updated their site to show Lively with very limited battery life as to just 2 weeks ago they showed a 96 hour battery life (THAT WOULD BE FOR THE SPLASH UNIT NOT THE LIVELY). Many member of my family carry this device. I will advise them of the terrible product they only offer now. I am sure they will cancel their services also.

4 0

August 4th, 2017

Gave Mom a Jitterbug 10+ years ago. She loves it. Added Medical Alert monitoring 2 years ago. Absolutely no problems. She claims that Customer Service folks are very friendly & patient when she's had questions. If she is pleased - then so am I. ?

7 0

July 30th, 2017

Haven't needed to use for emergency yet but each time I've tested it the response is immediate and identifies me & my location. Very helpful & polite response to see if help is needed.

5 0

July 24th, 2017 Honolulu, HI

Make sure you are aware of the lack of service you will be paying for and make sure that you understand the reason you are purchasing this device. If you are anticipating that this will give you peace of mind to keep your loved ones safe please reconsider. Two of these devices were purchased at the end of 2016 for the parents of very close family friends. I worked closely with them to get their parents set up on these devices and can state that we had trouble from the get go. Customer Service was normally slow to answer as you were almost always on hold and for some time. The outcome whenever the devices were not working properly (charging or functioning) was always to send new devices and or chargers and not to try to resolve any underlying problems. We went through at least three new devices in a 2 month period. Though fall detection was paid for, this feature never worked when on-person but only seemed to work the two times the devices were accidentally dropped. When inquiring with customer service the answer was that fall detection wasn't a guaranteed service (though you pay for it) and that it was the responsibility of the wearer to push the help button. A mildly difficult task if the person is not cognoscente enough to do so. If this is the reality then people should be made aware of it at the time of purchase and should not be charged for a system that is more unresponsive then responsive. Three falls in a month went undetected with a fourth fall resulting in a loss of a loved one. When calling customer service to see about returning the devices, as one was no longer needed and the other was cancelled and replaced with a more responsive service, the answer back was that they didn't want the devices back. So now we are responsible for disposing of them to boot. When discussing with customer service our disappointment and requesting a refund, as the service did not work and was not needed when the wearer was in the hospital, the response was that there was nothing to be done. Why would anyone want to spend good money on such a poor system, customer service as well as technology?

17 3

July 23rd, 2017 Wheaton, IL

This company scams it's customer, who are generally senior citizens. We were sent 3 defective jitterbug flip phones, directly from GreatCall.com, within a 6 month time frame. When we called for a refund of the original cost of $95, the Supervisor refused and would only refund 2 months of service ($40), we paid for 6 months of service. So our total investment into a scam of defective phones was $215. They say they offer of 1 year manufacturers warranty but beware...if your phone works fine for the first 30 days, they will only send you more defective phones after you return the first. Such a disappointment and hassle. I thought this would be a great Christmas gift for my father but he ended up with nothing but monthly charges. Now I have to buy him another phone. I filed a complaint with the BBB today.

7 1

July 23rd, 2017

Great Call works! I have the pendant with 2-way calling and falls detection. Recently, I fell at work. Within 20 seconds, I was talking to a live voice. Fortunately, I did not need emergency assistance, but the operator stayed on the call with me until I was upright. Great Call provides an extra source of security. I know that I am not alone should I need help. I have a cell phone, but don't always have it handy. The Great Call, however, is always with me attached to the lanyard that hangs around my neck whenever I am not sleeping.

12 0

July 20th, 2017 Santa Ynez, CA

The new lively is constantly flashing even when on the charger. Had I know this before buying I wouldn't have gone with Great Call. Flashing red when you are out of range would have been sufficient. Haven't had to use it for emergency so can't comment on that.

11 1

July 19th, 2017

I have my payment made automatically but when my card changed dates my service was stopped. Would have been good if I were notified. Their customer service is otherwise excellent. I am happy with the service but the quality of the flip phone is not all that good. Wish I had a choice. Overall I am happy with them. Once we had a widespread power outage for 6 days and they called to check on me.

5 0

July 5th, 2017 Lawson, MO

I am 72, AND I LOVE THIS PHONE. Easier to use, and the customer service is wonderful. I highly recommend it. The 5* button, for emergencies, is there if I ever need it.

7 0

July 2nd, 2017

I had this company's equipment and I just could not get it to work for me. I called their customer service at least 5 times and the help I received from the rep's was nothing but crap. They didn't know how to help me at all. I even talked to what was suppose to be a supervisor and he was just as bad so I asked for my money back. I received credit for all except the 100 or so application fee. I had another service in Florida and it was just great. This company y doesn't know what their are doing.

12 1

June 24th, 2017 Pomona, CA

This company scams senior out of money. There are hidden fees after thry tell you everything is free. They tell you they have no email to contact but I have emails from Gina in Reno NV which proves they do. She just didn't want to give it to me be I said I was going to report it to BBB for senior citizen fraud. You will have to do dispute with your credit card company to try to Get your money back. They will not escate your call. I would not recommend this company.

9 3

June 20th, 2017

My mother is 83 and needed help with a new phone. We bought Jitterbug Smart at Best Buy. Excellent cust service. Went home to set it up. It cost $28.00 to activate the phone. Their cust Svc was closed so, I called them on Monday morning to have my mother's original phone number transferred to the new phone. They wouldn't let me handle this process because I was not my mother, and they didn't know who I was. I explain to them that my mom has dementia gets very upset when strangers would talk to her and question her, she'll just start crying can't I please take care of this now for her? Absolutely not they could not help me. I asked if my dad would be sufficient to finish the process and the man said yes. His name was Jeremy at Great call. I gave the information to my dad. My dad called & was on the phone for an hour and a half while he was trying to explain that my mom is not capable of answering questions on the phone. They would not accept him giving them the information to transfer the phone number. He cancelled the entire account they returned the phone yesterday. Good job Great Call. And you advertise thru AARP for seniors.

9 1

June 12th, 2017 Philadelphia, PA

I received my device when told I would. I also like , My device and it makes me feel safe. I did have a problem and they send me a new device immediately. Every time I have wanted some information, they have greeted me with kindness.

8 2

June 11th, 2017 Ridgewood, NJ

BEWARE BEFORE BUYING OR SIGNING UP WITH GREAT CALL. Their website is VERY misleading on the cost of the plans. My mother wanted the Jitterbug flip phone very much which is exclusive to Great Call (the provider) and they won't sell an unlocked phone. You would have to wait up to a year to get it unlocked by law (I think). I was comparing Great Call to Consumer Cellular (which offers AARP discounts). When I called and spoke to "Rich" at Great call today 6/11 around 4:45 EST, he was ok. Unfortunately they do charge a $35 activation fee unlike Consumer Cellular. No discounts for AARP. Phone cost was comparable if we bought it anywhere else. What WAS an issue for me was their plans CLEARLY showed a 600 minute talk plan for $10 and a 300 text plan for $3.00 excluding taxes and fees. Slightly cheaper than Consumer Cellular's plan and more flexible. They pushed their Health and Safety packages but I wasn't interested as my mother already has a medical alert. When I went to confirm the pricing he said "Oh, yea our site is not very clear, it's really $19.99 for the talk plan and $3.00 for the text plan." Well, he was right, the site wasn't just NOT clear, it wasn't there in anyway shape or form. To boot, there was no flexibility or even care that they were not competitive. Clearly they are more towards being a medical alert company and using the phone as the carrot. But the deception of the pricing was unacceptable. BE VERY CAUTIOUS ON THEIR DEALS, PUBLICATIONS, AND SALES TACTICS.

13 0