The customer's health and safety have always been the number one priority of GreatCall. That's why GreatCall designed the Lively Mobile with an easy-to-use emergency response button along with a suite of health and safety services. Whether you need urgent assistance, medical advice, or peace-of-mind, GreatCall makes it easy to stay safe, healthy and connected, 24/7. GreatCall's medical service is on the nation's #1 4G network so it can be used all over the country.

GreatCall has low monthly monitoring fees starting at $24.99 with no long-term contracts. There is also a one-year equipment warranty on all products. Read GreatCall reviews below to see what customers have to say about the medical alert provider.

#1 Medical Guardian chevron_right
#2 MobileHelp chevron_right
#3 LifeStation chevron_right

The Good

• No Base Unit
  • Variety of Medical Alert Options
  • No Contracts or Cancellation Fees
  • IAED Certified Agents
  • Customer Service
  • Fastest Call Response Time

No Base Unit

Lively Mobile is an all-in-one lightweight device (.088 lbs) with no invasive base station required. Lively Mobile works like a small cell phone so you can take it anywhere, and it has no home base unit or tether to a landline. This makes GreatCall's medical alert systems extremely easy to use and setup.

Variety of Medical Alert Options

GreatCall has additional options outside of the typical medical alert device. The company offers smartphone and flip phone options that are made specifically with older adults in mind and also act as a medical alert device. Whether a customer is looking for a smartphone medical alert device, a more simple flip phone medical alert device, a medical alert button only, or a wearable medical alert device, GreatCall has every option. Keep in mind capabilities with each medical alert plan vary depending on your chosen monthly plan. The information listed below includes all capabilities in the most advanced plans, so the more basic plans will not include all listed items. The complete medical alert options and offerings are below:

Jitterbug Smart2

The Jitterbug Smart2 is a smartphone and cellphone service with a built-in medical alert device. The upfront cost is $149.99 with a monthly fee ranging from $19.99 - $34.99 as well as a $25 activation fee. The GreatCall Jitterbug has a large 5.5" screen, voice typing capabilities, and a front-facing speaker for more quality sound. The battery life is long-lasting, and the phone includes a 13MP built-in camera with a flash as well as a 5Star urgent response button. It also includes Internet access.

The Jitterbug Smart has added capabilities to enhance the user's everyday experience. You can receive daily, automated check-in calls that ask questions about pain levels, appetite, and overall wellbeing as well as receive a weekly wellness call from a wellness expert. A personal operator is also available for finding addresses and phone numbers. The Jitterbug includes daily health tips for seniors directly from the American Heart Association and suggested brain games to challenge the mind and improve your memory.

To further health assistance and emergency precautions, the Jitterbug Smart gives you access to urgent care 24/7 to speak with a with a nurse or doctor without an appointment. You can also request your prescriptions for common medications through the phone call. Caregivers can download the GreatCall Link app to stay informed of the health and safety of GreatCall product owners, and there is a product replacement available so if the Jitterbug owner ever loses or breaks the phone, GreatCall will replace it.

Jitterbug Flip

The GreatCall Jitterbug Flip is a mobile device similar to the Jitterbug Smart2 except it is a flip phone rather than a smartphone. It is $99.99 upfront with a monthly fee ranging from $19.99 - $34.99 as well as a $25 activation fee. It includes everything that the Jitterbug Smart2 does as well as an added capability called MedCoach. MedCoach is a reminder service that sends messages to your phone that you can customize and use to keep track of your schedule, medication reminders, and refills.

Lively Mobile

Lively Mobile is GreatCall's medical alert emergency pendant. It is $37.49 upfront with a monthly fee ranging from $24.99 - $39.99 and a $25 activation fee. It has a proprietary design made by GreatCall that is simple to use. It has a loud integrated two-way speaker that turns on the moment you press the button for assistance. It includes 5Star urgent response, urgent care, the GreatCall Link app, fall detection, and product replacement. It also has GPS location technology and is completely waterproof, so you won't have any functionality issues if used in the shower or other wet places.

Lively Wearable

Lively Wearable is the GreatCall medical alert device that is wearable as a wristband or necklace. It costs $49.99 upfront and comes with a $14.99 monthly fee and $25 activation fee. It includes 5Star urgent response, the GreatCall Link app, and fall detection. It includes GPS location technology and the alert device is waterproof, so it's safe to use in the shower and easy to wear.

No Contracts or Cancellation Fees

GreatCall offers cutting-edge medical monitoring services to its customers by doing away with long-term contracts, a unique option for seniors that many companies don't offer. The company also offers a proprietary medical alert device with an equipment fee of $49.99 and monthly plans starting at $24.99. This includes full service including 5Star Urgent Response, GreatCall Link, fall detection, free device replacement, and Urgent Care nurse hotline.

Many medical alert companies make customers pay extra for fall detection and don't include it in the base monthly monitoring fee. With fall detection being one of the most important capabilities to customers, it's great that GreatCall offers it at no extra cost.

IAED Certified Agents

5Star Urgent Response Service provides easy-to-use and reliable urgent care access to IAED (International Academies of Emergency Dispatch) certified 5Star agents who will confirm the customer’s location, evaluate the situation, and call for the appropriate assistance. Trained in CPR and other emergency procedures, they can assist in any uncertain or unsafe situation, 24 hours a day. Whether a user is lost in an unfamiliar part of town, walking in a parking lot at night, or experiencing a medical issue, 5Star service can help.

Service includes:

• 911 Support and Follow-Up - 5Star Agents can call 911 on your behalf or conference you in.
  • Your Personal Profile - The secure information you choose to provide in your personal profile empowers your 5Star Agent with critical details for faster, more personalized assistance.
  • Non-Emergency Assistance - The 5Star Agent can contact anyone on your list if you need help that doesn't require emergency services.
  • Reliable Nationwide Coverage - Anywhere wireless coverage is available
  • Multilingual Support - 5Star Agents can provide translation support for over 100 languages.

GreatCall does not outsource its customer service to third parties. All GreatCall customer service and emergency service agents are based in the USA and receive extensive training. The award-winning, patient customer service team is there to help you with health & safety forms, product and service questions, and anything else you may need from the call center.

Fastest Call Response Time

Users get peace of mind knowing that they have fast access to help as soon as it is needed. By pressing the 5Star Urgent Response button on the medical alert device, a user gets immediate and unlimited access to IAED Certified 5Star agents who will confirm your location, evaluate your situation, and get you the help you need.

The Bad

Fees

GreatCall functions a bit differently than its primary competitors. The company has added equipment fees as well as activation fees for its alert systems, and this even goes for the basic medical alert system. Some customers have complained about the added telecommunication fees appearing on their accounts, which are required by federal law for these kinds of service providers and customers. However, when averaged over a year of service, Lively Mobile offers the lowest cost monthly mobile service of any other major medical alert available.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

GreatCall is a versatile company that offers options for medical alert devices. Some of the company's systems offer some of the lowest prices in the industry and offer multiple medical alert devices with emergency response features like fall detection. Representatives are rigorously trained to provide you with excellent service. Some customers may be turned off by the upfront equipment fees, but the low monthly fees and not having a long-term contract can offset that price over time. If a potential customer is looking for a low-cost option that combines medical alert functionality with a smartphone device, GreatCall is a viable option. Read GreatCall reviews below to hear what customers have to say.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

2.8

Annette
October 15th, 2019 Monroeville, AL DETAILS

I ordered the phone from GC customer service and was not told that there is a $10 restocking fee until I called to return it. I do not see this fee on their website either with all other stated fees. Will never do business again with a company with this policy. It should be stated when ordering .5

Oct 15, 2019

Hello Annette, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback Per GreatCall’s 30-day return policy, stated in our Terms and Conditions packaged with each phone and can also be found on our webpage https://www.greatcall.com/legal/guarantee, states for any reason within 30 days from date of purchase, you are not completely satisfied with your phone or device, we will refund the activation fee, the first month's service charge, the cost of the phone/device, plus applicable taxes, less the restocking fee, as long as you do not exceed 30 minutes of talk time. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Bob Gross
October 10th, 2019 Gardiner, ME DETAILS

Lively Mobile saved my life once when I lost consciousness and fell [before fall detection was available]. The #1 problem is the magnetic clasp on the necklace. The magnet releases when you take off or adjust your shirt. Great Call replaced my device twice as a result of their weak link necklace only because I pay extra for the insurance. The #2 problem is the the fees keep going up. I started at $17 per month. My last "free" replacement had improved battery life correcting a problem in previous versions, but #3, it only charges in its 110 volt plug in charger. The original Lively could be charged on the road from an automotive cigarette lighter. Lastly, I was at a restaurant when a diner at another table had a heart attack. Bystanders were performing CPR. The Great Call agent wanted to know the age and sex of the victim before calling the ambulance. I told her bystander CPR was in progress with family standing around and I couldn't even see the victim. When she finally called the ambulance, she said the line was busy, probably because other diners started calling 911. The ambulance would have arrived 5 minutes sooner had she not asked so many heart-killing questions. I think if CPR is in progress, if it's so important, the age and sex of the victim could be asked AFTER she dispatched the ambulance. CPR is the same for both men, women and children, so why she make me waste more time trying to get close enough to see the victim's sex? What if I were the victim and my wife used Great Call to get an ambulance for me?

Oct 11, 2019

Hello Bob, we are sorry to hear of your experience and we would like to assist you further. Please look for a private message from us with additional details.

James
October 8th, 2019 Menlo Park, CA DETAILS

3 years and counting...then GC did an 'upload' never worked again. Called got a 'new' one - unfortunately NO FALL DETECTION avail - Talk about feeling DECEIVED and let down. Why was I not told NO FD when I initially called??? why make me order a 'new' one that does NOT fit my criteria? Instead had to wait for the new unit, then during the 'set-up' found out about no FALL DETECTION. Right off - blood pressure reaching critical. Due to my needs, I had to cancel..CANCEL my plan all because GC let me down and really angered me by not telling me straight off - Talked to" Junior" - He says he was going to send me authorization to return this...stuff - So far, nothing- I was so happy with GC - now I am starting all over with a new company - Never again - let down and feeling deceived james

Oct 09, 2019

Hello James, we are sorry to hear of your experience and we would like to assist you further. Please look for a private message from us with additional details.

Warren Burch
October 4th, 2019 Troutville, VA DETAILS

Just got off the phone with Great Call after inquiring yet again about WHEN there would be a Great Call Lively Mobile Plus released to the public. My mothers started having problems with hers about a year ago. She has the most expensive plan that included a free replacement. Problem is, when we called to inquire about the free replacement they had none....I used one that I had bought for my wife. I decided that the issue was the charger and replaced that for my mother. We were told that my mother got a letter about hers but were not told what the letter was in reference to. We asked about getting a replacement unit and they are on a voluntary recall....and would be replaced in a couple of months....that was a year ago....I was just told that on this date 10/4/2019 they are now expecting these to be replaced on 2/20/2020.....REALLY??? Their solution was to replace the lively with a Phone which has no FALL protection....is Not water resistant....didn't even offer to refund....this is a 93 year old lady that is trying to be independent....GREAT CALL..owned by BEST BUY......at best you have become PITIFUL.

Oct 04, 2019

Hello Warren, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

DUlrich
October 4th, 2019 Wendell, ID DETAILS

Bought Greatcall device for elderly father in law. Device stopped holding a charge. Called for support was told it needed software update. Update was completed and was told to monitor for couple of days. Now still won't hold a charge and NOW they want to diagnose the problem. The customer support representative acted as if it's my problem that I will have to drive back to the city 100+ miles to diagnose the problem for them. In the meantime my blind and deaf Father in law has been with out his device. I was told before that all I would have to do is call back for a replacement. I think its all an elaborate scam.

Oct 04, 2019

Hello DUIrich, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from

Lynne Oakley
September 25th, 2019 DETAILS

Bought a Jitterbug smart phone for my 83YO mother, phone is OK except she pushed the alert button by mistake like 5 times while holding the phone over the past few months so police come to the house. Called the company to have that feature removed, never wanted it anyway. THey said there is no way to shut that off, I even tried taking over the button, still won't stop it . Going to cancel service

Sep 25, 2019

Hello Lynne, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Tim
September 23rd, 2019 Arcadia, CA DETAILS

The GreatCall app for their Lively device with fall detection showed my mom was six miles from home in a gravel pit. When I called Customer Service they said they also showed her there but 30 minutes ago. When I asked to speak to a supervisor the rep refused. I called back and had the same experience but for 30 minutes with another customer service person. They were unable to locate my mom. They were awful...belligerent and condescending. When I finally reached my mom she was at home. A supervisor called and the three of us then spent 45 minutes trying to reset the device but it was in some loop and repeatedly said ‘setting up’ please wait. The supervisor offered to send a new device but cautioned that ‘fall detection’ would not be working for an estimated two months. I told him that fall detection was our primary need. He then offered to call back at noon the next day to again try to reactivate the device. I then read about the class action lawsuit by customers who have been harmed by trusting Great Call. I read that many ‘Lively’ devices were recalled with an offer of a Jitterbug phone and a $50 Best Buy card. The supervisor did not call back. We cancelled our subscription.

Sep 23, 2019

Hello Tim, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Bridgewatch
September 23rd, 2019 Seattle, WA DETAILS

Terrible company. Had the phone for over 6 years and paid almost $3000+ for the six years..finally cancelled the service that never worked and then continued to be billed after I cancelled service for the next month. The phone is in the garbage so I cannot use the phone that doesn’t work and service cancelled but still must pay another month after $3000+ paid for a phone that never worked? Run for the hills and avoid this over advertised disaster of a company that exploits seniors...great Call you should be ashamed of your selves..yes I spread the word and tell EVERYONE!

Sep 23, 2019

Hello Bridgewatch, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Ruby
September 23rd, 2019 Waco, TX DETAILS

They refuse to be transparent about charges, or give an itemized statement of charges. Awful service, awful business mode, just plain seems dishonest. Feels like dealing with someone trying to scam you. No explanation of what they charged you for, just demands to pay out of the blue. I think this company is cheating people.

Sep 23, 2019

Hello Ruby, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Ilene Metrick
September 17th, 2019 Alburtis, PA DETAILS

We thought great call was a wonderful company since John Walsh was an advocate. After 2 years we have a totally different attitude. Her phone is always muffled and no one can understand her. One time we thought she was having a stroke. Immediately we called her house phone and she was fine. She has had 4 phones and each one is worse than the other. As for her medic alert necklace we were very pleased with the service until 3 days ago. It stopped working and now Great Call wants $15 to replace it. What kind of nonsense is this. When my mom lived in NJ and there was a problem her necklace was replaced immediately. How dare Great Call leave an 88 year old women without her medic alert. I am infuriated and find this unacceptable. John Walsh needs to realize that this company is not what it used to be. It has deteriorated drastically. If you love your family member find another company.

Sep 17, 2019

Hello Ilene, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Patrick Gilmore
September 17th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

This is the worst call service ever. I called to activate 3 times and I was hung up on after I asked to speak to a supervisor. After I had to call back the supervisor was just as rude as the original call taker!!! I was talked over numerous times and the length of time to activate was absolutely unacceptable. Horrible service. Stay away. Stay far away!!! Worst service I have ever experienced by anyone for any service. It is not worth it at all. Could not believe the customer service treatment.

Sep 17, 2019

Hello Patrick, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

germaine jacky
September 9th, 2019 Greensboro, NC DETAILS

Four or five months ago Great Call had to recall their "fall down" device because of "design errors" . I had already paid $53 for a months rental . For a replacement they sent a Jitter bug phone which I returned, because I already had a phone. I request that they return my $53. They never did although they agreed they owed it to me. I've called and called and called and each time they say "it's on the way" It hasn't happened. Beware of this company. OK only after Best Company published the review above, did Greatcall finally refund the $53. So Thank You Best Company and I still don't think much of you Great Call but I am adding a star.

Aug 28, 2019

Hello Germaine, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us, requesting information so that we may assist you further.

Vern
September 9th, 2019 Eugene, OR DETAILS

We were having lunch at a popular restaurant when my 94 year old father passed out. We pressed the button and the person who answered could not hear us although we were screaming into the microphone of the device. They could not locate our location even though we were in a central area. We had to call 911 from our phones to get the paramedics to come. The device is supposed to have GPS capabilities and it seems that was not working either. A huge letdown and very worrisome for seniors who are alone!

Sep 09, 2019

Hello Vern, we are sorry to hear about your father's experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

D R Alexander
September 6th, 2019 Lubbock, TX DETAILS

It is hard to get through to a live person for customer service; they don't want to refund money charged for cancelled service but they are VERY willing to turn off service in the middle of a pre-paid billing cycle. Customer service agents are rude, do not listen to the purpose of a call to customer service and try to browbeat clients not to cancel service.

Sep 06, 2019

Hello D R Alexander, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Samuel
September 6th, 2019 Seminole, AL DETAILS

Well I just activated my moms phone and had a horrible experience with the customer service reps, first one was just short with me which I can deal with but second one (Betty) was plain out rude and insulted my intelligence and very bothered by my calling to activate my moms phone, I am so glad I called her instead of my 83 year old mom, she would have been in tears (my mom). Third rep was helpful but really didn’t want to be. I certainly hope it gets better from here.

Sep 06, 2019

Hello Samuel, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

kcmo
September 4th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

mother's splash device won't hold a charge. battery is not replaceable. must replace entire device AND here's the kicker- NO DEVICES ARE AVAILABLE for replacement or new purchase. so pay for a service, but carry your charger at all times. website support is nothing. customer service rep on call line offer no suggestions nor timeline for availability- just keep checking back on the website to see if any devices are in stock.

Sep 06, 2019

Hello Kcmo, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Susan M.
September 4th, 2019 Charlotte, NC DETAILS

I just got off the phone with GreatCall. I have subscribed to the LIVELY device for several years, and it is now beginning to fail. GreatCall was purchased by BestBuy last year, and for the past 5 months they have been unable to tell me when the new Lively will be available for sale. At this time, the only product available to purchase from GreatCall is one of their cell phones, which I do not need or want. Something bad is going on with this company. They cannot even give me a date to anticipate the Lively becoming available. Customer service is very pleasant and have been helpful in the past, and I have really liked my Lively. Do not expect the Lively (if they ever have another model) to last more than 2 years. I am at the end of life with my second device.

Sep 06, 2019

Hello Susan, we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Lively Mobile and we appreciate your feedback. Please check our website for updated information regarding the Lively Mobile. www.greatcall.com.

Arnold M
August 28th, 2019 Rochester, NY DETAILS

I have had my device for over 5-years. Never once has it failed me. I have had to use it only 3 times. Their people were VERY polite and helpful. They even encouraged my to test the device now and then to make sure all was in order. I don't know why there are may who complain about the service. I would suggest that you only use the Lively Wearable and NOT the cell phone. Looking over the reviews t looks like most of the complaints are with the cell phone devices like the Jitterbug. The lively wearable has only two controls: a on/off button and an emergency help button. If you need help just push the button and talk to the technician hands free with the Lively Wearable. No complicated anything. The best thing is that the Lively Wearable works anywhere, at home or away from home. No base station is required. The Lively Wearable is pure simplicity.

Claudia
August 23rd, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

Worst company i have ever dealt with. they truly try and take advantage of the elderly. I returned the phone for horrible reception less than 30 days after purchase. not only won't they refund they service charge but won't pay me back for the phone. I am out $102.47 and have NOTHING to show for it besides TWO MONTHS of calling for a refund. IF they had a zero star i would chose that.

Aug 23, 2019

Hello Claudia, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Lou Baumgartner
August 20th, 2019 Charlottesville, VA DETAILS

GreatCall has excellent customer service but their technical support is horrific. My father has not been able to use his phone for a week as they are unable to push through the necessary update. No amount of escallating this resolves the issues. If he could use another service I would cancel his phone and switch services in a second. Its inexcusable that a company that deals with seniors and their safety cannot fix this issue easily.

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Lou, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Gerald Slothouber
August 20th, 2019 Warsaw, MO DETAILS

I have had the Great Call 5 Star for over 5 years. Thank God I have not had to use it for any emergencies. I did use it one time shortly after getting it to check if I was getting reception & 1 time when I accidentally pushed the button while working in the shop. Both times there was an Great Call person responding in seconds. Love the fact that family gets notified immediately. Also like the gps so family can check on my location especially when traveling. Hope the new unit is available soon as the battery in mine is losing power after years of use. Would encourage anyone to look into getting one if Great Call products.

BARBARA Simmons
August 20th, 2019 Battle Creek, MI DETAILS

I pay for service on 3 family members. Recently my dad's unit died and tech could not get it working. We want another pendant style, but they have been "out of stock" for 3+ months. The only option given was a bulky jitterbug flip phone. It's hard to carry his smart phone plus the new one just to have access to a medical button. I looked online, but it's also out of stock there. I want to stay with this company, but not if I cannot get the equipment that is right for my family members. Ideas?

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Barbara, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Karen
August 20th, 2019 Olympia, WA DETAILS

My mother has been a great call alert user for years until it recently wouldn’t hold a charge. She called customer service who said , unbeknownst to her, the device had been recalled ( and ineffective for a time). They sent her a jitterbug flip phone and then tried to charge her for the phone and a minutes plan that she hadn’t agreed to. She said she has already has a cell phone and sent it back. It’s beyond horrible that a company that one entrusts with your literal life would have such shoddy customer service. After a simple google search I see many others with similar issues. Stay away from greatcall.

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Karen, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Ray Krause
August 13th, 2019 Pleasant Prairie, WI DETAILS

This was my wife's phone for emergencies. She made maybe 1 call a month and did not leave it on when not in use. I needed to use this phone recently when mine broke. I activated the 911 call 2 X's with in 12 hours by just putting the phone in my pocket. I contacted GC about this to see if I could get that app removed. No way they said. They recommended I put a piece a tape over the app. I am paranoid to use this. Needless to say I shut the phone off and will wait until my new phone (not GC) arrives. My wife will no longer haver access to this phone as I will get her another phone from a different service at a way better cost

Aug 13, 2019

Hello Ray, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Beck
August 7th, 2019 Northampton, PA DETAILS

My mother purchased a lively mobile device for 89.00. End of October . She passed away in April. Had 6 months. We tried to pass on to another senior citizen to set up their own account , they said it is outdated and we can not. Only 6 months old . What if my mother was still alive? Couldn’t she use, their answer was yes , so what’s the difference? Terrible customer service. Representative hung up on us. Asked for at least upgrade or credit , got no where! Ridiculous ! Don’t use GREAT CALL!

Aug 09, 2019

Hello Beck, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service available. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Louie Smith
August 5th, 2019 Indio, CA DETAILS

Customer service the worst. Rude, talking over you. I cancelled the service toay 8-2-2019 over payment issue. Was set up to pay monthly . Charged card. Two days later call and advised to next pay due in 0 day. Posted three payment in 3 weeks. . Agent today very rude. I hung up. Cancelled service. Tossed device in trash. Obtained service elsewhere .

Aug 05, 2019

Hello Mr. Smith, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Dell
July 31st, 2019 Woodland Park, CO DETAILS

No company ever talks about battery life. We bought a Lively Mobile several years ago and was told the unit could go for 96 hours on standby before the battery would need to be recharged. NOT true the battery needs to be recharged every evening. So if my 99 year old mother needs to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night she has to wake up enough to put her device on or she goes unprotected. My advice before buying any device is to triple check the information regarding batteries. Even Consumers Reports, which was our original source, was inaccurate when it came to battery life.

ruth rowley
July 29th, 2019 Dayton, OH DETAILS

I got my first GreatCall when I turned 80 three years ago. It worked fine for 2 1/2 years. Got a new one in Feb. '19 and it no longer works. Just spent almost an hour with Customer Service Rep. (who was very lovely, BTW) who tried to help. Almost impossible to press button on front and button on back and look at flashing lights on the front and turn it off immediately when lights turned red or green or flashing or not flashing ! Very difficult to follow the detailed directions and hold a small device doing those directions. My memory is still fairly good and I have no arthritis in my hands and still difficult. Finally gave up. Asked for a replacement but they are out of stock. Asked for local service help and there is none. Canceled!!! Will try another brand.

Jul 29, 2019

Hello Ruth, thank you for sharing your experience. At this time, we are not able to offer replacements for our Lively Mobile devices. We are working to correct the problem and can understand your disappointment. Please follow up with us so that we can discuss the alternative coverage options available at this time.

Scott
July 17th, 2019 San Luis Obispo, CA DETAILS

The response from Great Call is so outrageous inept and misleading, first there is an ongoing Mandatory Recall, their is several US District Court Lawsuits, and pending several State Lawsuits, there is also numerous investigations by FCC, FDA, FTC, CSPC, DCA and now MEDWATCH for recalled Defective Devices. Great Call and Best Buy have been trying to scare people off from suing them for the fraud, defective devices, as for anything you sent me was all returned to YOU. Check with your Lawyers, today Great Call confirmed I do NOT any-longer have any accounts with BBY or Great Call even they petty $50 gift card was returned with the Jitterbug which was never used. As can been seen BBY/Greatcall other posting from other people you have a real serious problem with this NON-Working Device. 100% Defective

Jul 16, 2019

Scott, we are sorry to hear about your experience and understand your concerns. Our records show that we mailed a voluntary recall notice letter to you, and all affected customers, on May 15, 2019, informing you that we were recalling all Lively Mobile Plus devices that launched in late April 2019. The letter was sent as part of a voluntary recall conducted by GreatCall with oversight of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. We, like you, are disappointed by the unfortunate issue with the Lively Mobile Plus and have done all we can to correct the issue as quickly as possible. Our records show that you purchased a Lively Mobile Plus and accepted the full refund due to the recall, which was credited to your account on May 20, 2019. On May 27, 2019, you contacted GreatCall customer service about acquiring another Lively Mobile Plus but were again informed about the return of the device. Instead, you accepted our offer of a free Jitterbug Flip phone, which remains active at this time.

Shirley
July 16th, 2019 Gering, NE DETAILS

When I first had Great Call it was GREAT. It could tack me everywhere I went. A great comfort for me. As time went on it could no longer track me??? I called service they even sent me a new one. They could no longer track me. THUS i HAD TO QUIT,

Jul 16, 2019

Hello Shirley, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. If any further assistance is needed, please call Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632, between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.

David
July 15th, 2019 Delray Beach, FL DETAILS

I had the device for about 2 years when it failed to hold a charge. I called and was advised they had no replacement device as the device on the market to replace it as the replacement device had been recalled. I was then advised to keep the defective device and pay a monthly charge and wait for the new device to come on the market. I cancelled.

Cathy Grimes
June 27th, 2019 Huntington Beach, CA DETAILS

GreatCall Lively Mobile got the best 'Customer Response Views' when pressing Emergency button by far vs the others. I tried to buy the 'Lively Mobile' (SMALL, FOB button type), but Amazon showed it was recalled. I called GC directly and was told on 6/19/19 that the Lively Mobile 'should be available in a few weeks, but we'll send you our Jitterbug Flip Phone in the meantime at reduced cost. The Flip phone is almost unusable for the purpose of having it with you at all times, especially in case you fall and cannot get to a phone. It is clunky, heavy, and constantly sends loud noises every few minutes when charging, which I have turned off, but keeps coming back on. I was told that Best Buy had bought out GreatCall. That is bad news for me as my experiences with Best Buy have NOT been good. So I am now stuck with this awful phone that I will have to go through the hassle of returning IF the Lively Mobile is NOT available by the end of July. Best Buy will not even give the Customer Service people a RANGE of likely dates the Lively Mobile will be available, so I have little hope.

Jun 28, 2019

Hello Cathy, we are sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, after the release of the new Lively Mobile Plus, we identified a quality issue in a limited number of the devices. We are being very cautious because our customer’s safety is our top priority. As such, we have voluntarily recalled the Lively Mobile Plus devices. Please keep in mind that this recall does not affect any other GreatCall products or services. While we understand that the Jitterbug Flip phone is not as small as the Lively Mobile Plus, we do offer a leather carrying case that would allow you to clip the phone to your pocket or belt to make it easier to carry the phone with you. We strive to provide the highest level of Customer Service available and while we do not currently have an exact release date for the Lively Mobile Plus, we are working hard to have the new device available soon. In the meantime, we would like to send you a free carrying case for the phone and make note of your account for follow up when the device is available. Additionally, as soon as a release date is available, we will update our website with this information. Please look for a private message from us asking for your account information.

Kennth
June 18th, 2019 DETAILS

I bought the Great Call device for my mother. She has fallen on 3 different occasions. All 3 times the call center persons have been very helpful, they stay on line till she has been gotten up from the floor. We have had the device for over 5 years, and we have not needed it till the last 18 months. Never sorry that I have bought it. My mind is at ease with her having it. I recommend it HIGHLY to anybody that ask. I researched all the others out there and this one DOES NOT HAVE A BASE STATION TO RELAY your troubles. This one goes anywhere we go and all I have to do is take the charging cradle. If no power, I plug in the car adaptor.

Betty Johnson
June 13th, 2019 Solomons, MD DETAILS

I bought a plan from Great Call for a Lively 5 years ago, have had ongoing problems with it. Wouldn't hold a charge at times, at one point was told I would have to buy another Lively which I did even though I had a defective product. A month ago it completely died on me. After many calls to Support they finally told me they were all defective and I would have to be without it even though I am a handicapped live alone 87 year old lady. They offered me a Flip Phone. Why would I want that, in Feb. I bought a Jitterbug phone from Great Call and that is just as defective as the Lively. The "speak to text" button does not work, in typing texts it is sent in the middle of the text(without hitting the send button) when a text is being typed it will go to Google for no reason. What a disaster! When I was talking with Support re: the Lively, I asked to speak with a supervisor; who would not come on the phone. The agent told me he had called stores in my area, (Best Buy, Walmart) to see if they had a Lively; they had been pulled off the shelves. I think Great Call should reimburse me for a defective phone I've had less than six months that will go in the trash. The BBB will be contacted.

Jun 14, 2019

Hello Betty, we are sorry to hear of your experience and apologize for the inconvenience. Please look for a direct message from us to ask for account information to allow us to look into this issue further. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us to improve our ability to serve you and other users of our products.

Deborah M Leveille
June 7th, 2019 Manchester, NH DETAILS

So the other day I looked at my Discover card balance and it was increased substantially...i was charged $250.00 over my normal Greatcall bill (service I pay for my mom) well my mom has been in rehab and her phone is supposedly been in her bedside table. So I call Greatcall to tell them to stop service immediately that someone is using it without authorization. I'm the one who pays this bill and I was never notified of the overages...they kept calling my moms cell phone🤔 Seriously I pay the bill, they have my number on the account. So today Greatcall calls me to tell me if I don't file a police report they will not remove the charges. I'm like seriously I'm gonna take up police time on a stolen phone. Thank God my mom doesn't pay the bill...now I'm wondering how often they do this to their customers who are primarily the elderly. I was a customer for over 5 years....unbelievable!

Jun 07, 2019

Hello Deborah, we are sorry to hear of your experience. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Jordan
June 6th, 2019 West Palm Beach, FL DETAILS

GreatCall is awesome!! We got the Jitterbug flip and the speaker is loud and clear! We pushed 5 star as a test and they answered within seconds!! I am very satisfied and know if my Grandma needs help she can get help fast! Customer service is also very prompt and helpful! Love GreatCall and the Jitterbug Flip.

Susan
June 3rd, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

Bought this phone for my mother on Mothers Day 2019. Not even 2 weeks and I have had to call into "greatcall" probably 6 or 8 times already. The caller ID continues to show up as some man we have no idea who. They tell me everytime it'll be fixed this time but no change has happened. But the worst part is the phone clarity when she is making calls is AWFUL. Everytime I am talking to her I make her repeat most of everything she says which is very frustrating for her.... and me! It sound like about every 15 seconds or so the puts her hand over the phone speaker as I can hear something but it's so garbled I can not understand a word. Jitterbug tells me it's a known problem in their system that has been going on for over a month and they HOPE to fix it in the next couple of weeks. In the mean time her phone is basically worthless yet they continue to charge for it and if I dont' return it soon (before 30 days is up) I won't be able to return it. Even if I do get to return it they will charge a restocking fee. This is all outrageous when all we ask for is a phone that works! Because she is in an assisted living home I don't get the alert system with the service. Sounds like I'm lucky we don't need that because it sounds like it is worthless! Great call isn't it ironic that none of your calls are great!?

Jun 04, 2019

Hello Susan, we are sorry to hear of your experience. Please look for a private message from us, so we may assist you further.

justin polk
May 28th, 2019 Eight Mile, AL DETAILS

bought this for an 82 year old. the real-time feature is awful. had the app, i would pull it up and it would say " about an hour ago Jim was out and about". An hour? and out and about? That is not acceptable when you have an elderly person that could have fallen 59 minutes ago. The best i could ever get it was around five minutes ago. Most of the time was 30 to 45 minutes ago. Finally a few days ago, the green light went off, we tried charging for over two days but it never would even come back on. I finally called and cancelled, saved $45 a month, very disappointing really needed this peace of mind that i thought this device would bring me. John Walsh should check into a company before he attaches his name.

May 30, 2019

We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your safety device and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. If you need any further assistance, please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632 between 5am and 8pm pacific time, Monday through Sunday.

Jeffery Arrington
May 23rd, 2019 Newport News, VA DETAILS

This company is supposed to provide fall detector and medical alerts, three years of wasted money. This company is a danger to consumers. After receiving a brand new fall detector because the old one was outdated the new was recalled and my elderly father was offered a flip phone instead where you would have to open it and call someone. This company has never fully provided what they offered.

May 03, 2019

Hi Jeffery, we are sorry to hear of your experience. GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality of customer service available. To better assist you, can you please describe the issues your Father is experiencing and what Jitterbug phone he currently has?

Mary Pursell
May 22nd, 2019 Sicklerville, NJ DETAILS

My 89-year-old mother contracted with GreatCall because of the advertising. She was sent a device that did not record falls correctly (frequently sitting quietly set off the device by announcing “Fall detected”). We called the company and was told she could upgrade her device. What we weren’t told was that the device she was wearing was shut off immediately. The newer device arrived 4 days later. This left her unprotected for 4 days without knowing. The newer device seemed to be working properly until on May 18th she was sent a letter that the device was recalled, call immediately. The offer included sending her a flip phone. This is unacceptable as she refuses to carry the phone she owns. To add to the issue we were told that the device she was wearing would be deactivated within the next 10 minutes. Again leaving her unprotected by the GreatCall service for an extended period of time. We will be finding a more responsive company.

Jun 07, 2019

Our records indicate that you contacted our Customer Service on April 22, 2019, for assistance with your mother’s Lively Mobile device. Because you did not have the device in hand to conduct the standard troubleshooting, we offered to replace the device with a newer model. On May 20, 2019, your mother, contacted us regarding the product recall notice that she received. At that time, we informed her that we had identified a quality issue in a limited number of Lively Mobile Plus devices and that because our customer’s safety is our top priority, we had issued a voluntary recall of the replacement device we sent to her on April 22, 2019. We also let her know that we would be issuing her a refund for any related charges. Additionally, we offered her a free Jitterbug Flip phone with access to our 5Star Urgent Response service via a dedicated one-touch button built into the phone. Your mother declined the offer for the free Jitterbug phone and her account was closed. As soon as the quality issues are resolved, we intend to offer your mother and all other customers affected, a replacement device. We, like you and your mother are very disappointed that we are unable to provide a satisfactory replacement at this time and apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused.

Denise
May 20th, 2019 Hempstead, NY DETAILS

I purchased this system for my 90 yr. old uncle who lives in NYC. I live on LI. Since day ONE, no matter how many times I look at this app on my phone, it has never ONCE told me his correct location! I have been calling this company since day one and no one knows why it is not working right! They had my uncle reset the device and had me uninstall the app on my phone at least 4 times. Still did not work! Finally the other day was the last straw when the app was telling me he was HOME yet I was calling all day and he was not answering his phone! I rushed all the way to NYC because I was afraid something had happened to him and low and behold... he was not home! He was out and the app was telling me he was home! I called this company once again, and got a woman who called high level tech support, who THEN informed me that in my uncles Emergency profile, I had to put in all the addresses he normally goes in order for my phone app to pick up his correct location! No one including tech support had told me this for all these months! SO I went and updated all the address in his profile. Yesterday I was IN NYC WITH MY UNCLE and we were AT a location that I had in my app, and STILL when I looked at my phone this app was telling me he was no where near the location where we were! How can I trust that if he fell, they would know where he was? What is the point of this program when I have no idea where he is? The WORST part, is they have the nerve to tell me KNOWING this has not worked right from day ONE, that they will not refund the money we paid all these months, OR for this useless device! This company is COMPLETELY INCOMPETENT and it's TERRIBLE when people are elderly and need help for companies like this to claim they are here to help when all they are here for is to steal peoples money!

May 20, 2019

We are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem with the Link application and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall’s 5Star Urgent Response devices are designed to be used in the case of an emergency, when the button is pressed our Urgent Response agents use enhanced GPS technology to locate a user and get them the help they need. The Link application on your phone may not report the actual location information due to several factors, such as the signal your phone or the device is receiving. Known locations on the profile and the actual locations a user visits with the device, help create a virtual fence that the device will remember and use for location reporting to the application. This can take up to 14 days to be created. For more information or further assistance, please email us at [email protected], and include as many details as you can.

Dale Bowman
May 16th, 2019 Olivehurst, CA DETAILS

I ordered a device for my mother. When it arrived, it did not work properly. I called in and was promised a replacement ASAP. When it did not arrive, despite an email with a non working tracking number, I called back and was told that they recalled the unit. It would have been nice to tell me so I could proceed with finding another service. Now they have my $86+ and will not refund me until I return the device. It has been over 2 weeks since I cancelled the order and they still have not processed the return label. FIND ANOTHER COMPANY THIS ONE IS NOT RELIABLE.

May 16, 2019

Hello Dale, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We have identified a quality issue in a limited number of Lively Mobile Plus devices, which we are working to address and provide refunds. We would like to investigate this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Cassidy
May 13th, 2019 West Haven, CT

If I could rate a company 0 stars I would. My grandma received a great call medallion after previously falling, and being without anyway to call for help. She figured the best way to avoid another situation like this would be to get a medical medallion. Once she received it in the mail I went over, and set it up for her myself. Everything was fine we even did a test call to the company to make sure everything worked. Everything went fine and it seemed to be working. Not even two weeks pass and my grandma falls, luckily she has her medallion on and presses the call button... nothing happens. She continues pressing and still nothing happens. Luckily a neighbor heard her and called 911. After the incident my mother called the company to see what the problem was it turned out her device along with many other were defective. They said they were calling people to let them know, but she never received that call. She had it for more than a week and clearly they knew something was wrong and instead of warning her and sending her a new one they did nothing. I thank god this wasn’t a more serious fall, and I also thank god her neighbor heard her. Great call expressed no concern over the situation and in my opinion was just blatant negligence. My grandma got lucky nothing serious happened, but if it did she shouldn’t have to worry weather or not her medical medallion the thing that is supposed to potentially save her life won’t work. I can’t express how angry I am over the situation and I would not recommend this product or this company to anyone.

May 13, 2019

Hello Cassidy, we are sorry to hear about your grandma’s fall and are glad to hear she is okay. While we have identified a quality issue in a limited number of Lively Mobile Plus devices, which we are working to address, we would still like to review what may have prevented her device from placing the call. The most common causes, not related to any current issue that we are working on, are typically connection to the device being powered off or being in an area with poor cell reception. As we would like to investigate this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Melissa Harper Fonseca
May 9th, 2019 Morgan Hill, CA DETAILS

Horrible phone service!! Don't buy from Great Call. I bought a phone for my elderly mom. She moved across the country. Every time I call her, I can't hear her. She always has to call me back and it sounds like garbage! Don't waste money with this company

Sunni
May 2nd, 2019 Dumfries, VA DETAILS

My Smart2 was a gift in December 2018. So far I have only one minor complaint. The Call 5* button is located on the lower right end of the phone; which is an inconvenient location resulting in accidental calls made. However, after the 1st X I found out how to cancel the call. I now pay more attention when handling the device. Recently I received an email saying my account was overdue...which was incorrect. I had paid 4-5 days earlier. I responded via email and received immediate reply saying they had researched my account and apologized for the inaccurate email. I have NEVER experienced any of the issues noted above at any time. I notice the ones I read were a year old - perhaps the Smart2 was not out then? Don't know. I get great reception; battery life..[only have to recharge at night when I have been on the phone for lengthy periods of time; or have had multiple texts.I also noticed that it appears that many users had not read the entire wealth of information provided BEFORE purchasing and even not after. So far I cannot complain. yes, my monthly bill is $70+ - that is because I chose unlimited data, text, calls etc. As for ease of use...I can see where it is not for one who may have dementia [Smart2] but the Flip should be fine for making and receiving calls.

Steve Anderson
April 11th, 2019 Sioux Falls, SD DETAILS

There is a reason that LifeStation is so much better than GreatCall...Check out the ratings and reviews and make sure to use LifeStation or you will regret it!! They don't understand customer service at GreatCall. Due to their mistakes they are trying to bill me a couple of extra months when the service was not even connected. A supervisor by the name of David is threatening calls from collection services over $51 that I can verify their service was not even connected...I will make sure that they will pay more than $51 in bad publicity!!!! Plus the reason I switched to LifeStation is that GreatCall does not have an emergency pendant/help button that will hold a battery charge for over 24 hours and LIfeStation easily beats that with a battery that lasts 4 YEARS!!!

Apr 11, 2019

Hi Steve, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We see that someone has followed up with today. A review of your account shows that although we did not receive a request for cancelation, we have waived the closing balance on the account. We strive to provide a high level of customer service and we will use your feedback to better our customers experience.

Carole
April 10th, 2019 Riverview, FL DETAILS

Having three family members using the 5 star alarm I am really thinking about changing companies! My alarm has been going off that a fall as been detected when I am sitting in my chair and not even moving! This has happened 4 times sine they have put the fall detection aspect on it about 1 month ago. When I called, the rep said I have to use a laniard in stead of my gold chain on my neck because it has to reach my breast bone which it does. I was not told when they asked me if wanted that addition to the alarm that I had to wear it on a laniard! I have had this alarm or a different one on my gold chain for as long as I have been with great call. The laniard is hot and frays and it gets wet in the shower. What that has to do with anything makes no sense with out an explanation as to why a laniard has to be used instead of a pretty chain. The alarm is ugly to begin with and with my gold chain it makes it a little more attractive. Would someone explain to me what a laniard has to do with this device being defective.

Jessica
April 1st, 2019 Bethesda, MD DETAILS

I found GreatCall to be intentionally deceptive. I purchased a phone and plan for my mother. She needed something very basic. Beware the plans have high fees for data usage and creates a trap for users. My mother ran a $75 bill for additional usage for literally using the phone five times. The representative put me on hold for over 15 minutes and never returned to finish my call. Overall, Greatcall advertises a senior-friendly experience, but the devil is in the details and I feel taken advantage of.

Apr 02, 2019

Hello Jessica, GreatCall strives to provide the highest quality service available. We understand that each individual will have different needs and usage requirements and as such, we offer a variety of products and rate plans with a broad range of usage limits. We would like to look into this matter further and have send you a private message to gather account information.

Rita Colby
March 18th, 2019 Petersburg, VA

I purchased a Lively Mobile and noticed in the manual (thankfully before activating the device) that it was for one single user. My mother is fully functioning but my father is in early stage dementia and can no longer remember how to use his cell phone to make a call. They do not have a landline so I wanted an emergency button he can use either for Mom or himself. I called Great Call and the customer service lady said it was no problem, I just had to let the folks know when I called the activation number. The man in the activation department was one of the rudest men to whom I have ever spoken. I began asking whether I could cover both my parents with the one button and he cut me off, spoke over me, told me I would have to purchase an additional button with an additional subscription plan and activation fee, but with 25% off the second device and activation fee. He also noted my father would have to push the button corresponding to which of them was in trouble in order for the service to work, which I said he is not likely to remember which button belongs to whom. I remarked this wasn't going to fit my needs so thank you, but I will return the device and look elsewhere. The man got very beligerent and spoke over me again, saying there are no other companies that would provide what I want, all are single user devices and plans like Great Call. I did return the Lively Mobile and went with Bay Alarm Medical instead, who offer exactly what I want for just $6 more per month than I would've paid for one subscription plan at Great Call, had no device charge or activation fee, and extremely nice and helpful customer service. Nowhere in the advertising for Lively Mobile were these constraints and extra expenses made known.

Mar 20, 2019

Hello Rita, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. At GreatCall, we to strive to provide a community of support for our products and services. We understand that each individual will have different needs and requirements and as such, we offer an Emergency Profile that solely pertains to the individual. 5Star Urgent Response is a personal safety service meant for the subscriber only. Medical information is specific and private for each individual. Therefore, the 5Star Personal Profile is set up for single contact support per service. The Personal Profile provides an additional level of protection to 5Star customers. It is an important tool that enables 5Star Response agents to provide the best service possible. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us to improve our ability to serve you and other users of our products.

Barbara A Van Handel
March 11th, 2019 Manawa, WI DETAILS

GREAT CALL OFFERED AN EASY WAY TO MOVE PAST A FLIP PHONE. HOWEVER IT WAS NOT. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS TERRIBLE. THEY WOULD SAY THEY WOULD DO SOMETHING AND NOT DO IT. WE SWITCHED TO CONSUMER CELLULAR. WE FOUND OUT GREAT CALL PHONES DO NOT ALL ALLOW YOU TO SWITCH CARRIERS. WE HAD TO BUY ANOTHER NEW PHONE. AVOID GREAT CALL UNLESS YOU ENJOY BAD SERVICE!

Mar 11, 2019

Hello Barbara, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. All Jitterbug cell phones and smartphones are unlocked per nationwide standards, but we cannot control which carriers choose to accept or activate our phones, nor do we guarantee our phones are compatible with other networks. Jitterbug phones were specifically designed to work on the GreatCall network. Again thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for better ways to improve our products and services.