The customer's health and safety have always been the number one priority of GreatCall. That's why GreatCall designed the Lively Mobile with an easy-to-use emergency response button along with a suite of health and safety services. Whether you need urgent assistance, medical advice, or peace-of-mind, GreatCall makes it easy to stay safe, healthy and connected, 24/7. GreatCall's medical service is on the nation's #1 4G network so it can be used all over the country.

GreatCall has low monthly monitoring fees starting at $24.99 with no long-term contracts. There is also a one-year equipment warranty on all products. Read GreatCall reviews below to see what customers have to say about the medical alert provider.

#1 Medical Guardian chevron_right
#2 LifeStation chevron_right
#3 One Call Alert chevron_right

The Good

• No Base Unit
  • Variety of Medical Alert Options
  • No Contracts or Cancellation Fees
  • IAED Certified Agents
  • Customer Service
  • Fastest Call Response Time

No Base Unit

Lively Mobile is an all-in-one lightweight device (.088 lbs) with no invasive base station required. Lively Mobile works like a small cell phone so you can take it anywhere, and it has no home base unit or tether to a landline. This makes GreatCall's medical alert systems extremely easy to use and setup.

Variety of Medical Alert Options

GreatCall has additional options outside of the typical medical alert device. The company offers smartphone and flip phone options that are made specifically with older adults in mind and also act as a medical alert device. Whether a customer is looking for a smartphone medical alert device, a more simple flip phone medical alert device, a medical alert button only, or a wearable medical alert device, GreatCall has every option. Keep in mind capabilities with each medical alert plan vary depending on your chosen monthly plan. The information listed below includes all capabilities in the most advanced plans, so the more basic plans will not include all listed items. The complete medical alert options and offerings are below:

Jitterbug Smart2

The Jitterbug Smart2 is a smartphone and cellphone service with a built-in medical alert device. The upfront cost is $149.99 with a monthly fee ranging from $19.99 - $34.99 as well as a $25 activation fee. The GreatCall Jitterbug has a large 5.5" screen, voice typing capabilities, and a front-facing speaker for more quality sound. The battery life is long-lasting, and the phone includes a 13MP built-in camera with a flash as well as a 5Star urgent response button. It also includes Internet access.

The Jitterbug Smart has added capabilities to enhance the user's everyday experience. You can receive daily, automated check-in calls that ask questions about pain levels, appetite, and overall wellbeing as well as receive a weekly wellness call from a wellness expert. A personal operator is also available for finding addresses and phone numbers. The Jitterbug includes daily health tips for seniors directly from the American Heart Association and suggested brain games to challenge the mind and improve your memory.

To further health assistance and emergency precautions, the Jitterbug Smart gives you access to urgent care 24/7 to speak with a with a nurse or doctor without an appointment. You can also request your prescriptions for common medications through the phone call. Caregivers can download the GreatCall Link app to stay informed of the health and safety of GreatCall product owners, and there is a product replacement available so if the Jitterbug owner ever loses or breaks the phone, GreatCall will replace it.

Jitterbug Flip

The GreatCall Jitterbug Flip is a mobile device similar to the Jitterbug Smart2 except it is a flip phone rather than a smartphone. It is $99.99 upfront with a monthly fee ranging from $19.99 - $34.99 as well as a $25 activation fee. It includes everything that the Jitterbug Smart2 does as well as an added capability called MedCoach. MedCoach is a reminder service that sends messages to your phone that you can customize and use to keep track of your schedule, medication reminders, and refills.

Lively Mobile

Lively Mobile is GreatCall's medical alert emergency pendant. It is $37.49 upfront with a monthly fee ranging from $24.99 - $39.99 and a $25 activation fee. It has a proprietary design made by GreatCall that is simple to use. It has a loud integrated two-way speaker that turns on the moment you press the button for assistance. It includes 5Star urgent response, urgent care, the GreatCall Link app, fall detection, and product replacement. It also has GPS location technology and is completely waterproof, so you won't have any functionality issues if used in the shower or other wet places.

Lively Wearable

Lively Wearable is the GreatCall medical alert device that is wearable as a wristband or necklace. It costs $49.99 upfront and comes with a $14.99 monthly fee and $25 activation fee. It includes 5Star urgent response, the GreatCall Link app, and fall detection. It includes GPS location technology and the alert device is waterproof, so it's safe to use in the shower and easy to wear.

No Contracts or Cancellation Fees

GreatCall offers cutting-edge medical monitoring services to its customers by doing away with long-term contracts, a unique option for seniors that many companies don't offer. The company also offers a proprietary medical alert device with an equipment fee of $49.99 and monthly plans starting at $24.99. This includes full service including 5Star Urgent Response, GreatCall Link, fall detection, free device replacement, and Urgent Care nurse hotline.

Many medical alert companies make customers pay extra for fall detection and don't include it in the base monthly monitoring fee. With fall detection being one of the most important capabilities to customers, it's great that GreatCall offers it at no extra cost.

IAED Certified Agents

5Star Urgent Response Service provides easy-to-use and reliable urgent care access to IAED (International Academies of Emergency Dispatch) certified 5Star agents who will confirm the customer’s location, evaluate the situation, and call for the appropriate assistance. Trained in CPR and other emergency procedures, they can assist in any uncertain or unsafe situation, 24 hours a day. Whether a user is lost in an unfamiliar part of town, walking in a parking lot at night, or experiencing a medical issue, 5Star service can help.

Service includes:

• 911 Support and Follow-Up - 5Star Agents can call 911 on your behalf or conference you in.
  • Your Personal Profile - The secure information you choose to provide in your personal profile empowers your 5Star Agent with critical details for faster, more personalized assistance.
  • Non-Emergency Assistance - The 5Star Agent can contact anyone on your list if you need help that doesn't require emergency services.
  • Reliable Nationwide Coverage - Anywhere wireless coverage is available
  • Multilingual Support - 5Star Agents can provide translation support for over 100 languages.

GreatCall does not outsource its customer service to third parties. All GreatCall customer service and emergency service agents are based in the USA and receive extensive training. The award-winning, patient customer service team is there to help you with health & safety forms, product and service questions, and anything else you may need from the call center.

Fastest Call Response Time

Users get peace of mind knowing that they have fast access to help as soon as it is needed. By pressing the 5Star Urgent Response button on the medical alert device, a user gets immediate and unlimited access to IAED Certified 5Star agents who will confirm your location, evaluate your situation, and get you the help you need.

The Bad

Fees

GreatCall functions a bit differently than its primary competitors. The company has added equipment fees as well as activation fees for its alert systems, and this even goes for the basic medical alert system. Some customers have complained about the added telecommunication fees appearing on their accounts, which are required by federal law for these kinds of service providers and customers. However, when averaged over a year of service, Lively Mobile offers the lowest cost monthly mobile service of any other major medical alert available.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

GreatCall is a versatile company that offers options for medical alert devices. Some of the company's systems offer some of the lowest prices in the industry and offer multiple medical alert devices with emergency response features like fall detection. Representatives are rigorously trained to provide you with excellent service. Some customers may be turned off by the upfront equipment fees, but the low monthly fees and not having a long-term contract can offset that price over time. If a potential customer is looking for a low-cost option that combines medical alert functionality with a smartphone device, GreatCall is a viable option. Read GreatCall reviews below to hear what customers have to say.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

2.8

Pat Hagan

January 24th, 2020 Prospect, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The brand new equipment would not hold a charge and they could not figure out why. Never offers to send us another one to replace it even though it was under warranty. They had just auto payed the day before and would not refund our money. All the other servers refund unused time.

Jan 24, 2020

Hi Pat, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Toni Brend

January 20th, 2020 Coos Bay, OR

Don’t bother calling for there pendant because they dont have any. I got one from my health center and tried to activate it. Then I called when it didnt work and they said your device is to old and you cant activate it so sorry. They offered another device but when I called back about it they said they aren’t going to get any devices the 5 star pendant until the end of February. Again said so sorry and hung up there phone.

Jan 21, 2020

Hi Toni, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Gwen Coleman

January 8th, 2020 Sherman, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a Grest Call device since shortly after I fell and broke my knee cap in 2010. Soon after acquiring the device I went on an extended road trip and while 1000+ miles away from home a red light appeared on the device. Not knowing what this meant I pressed the button to find what I should do. Immediately an agent answered and gave my name and location including the street name where I was calling from. I was so excited with this device and service that I started recommending Great Call to all my senior friends and acquaintances. I decided to get their Jitterbug phone and was equally pleased with the phone and it's performance. When the phone became outdated I got the first Jitterbug smart phone and when it developed a problem that couldn't be fixed they sent me a Smart Phone 2 at no cost to me. It was well that I had no money involved because this phone gave me problems almost immediately. I called customer service on two occasions and gave them permission to take control of my phone and on neither occasion were they able to fix the problem. Some time went by and then I found that I could not access the Internet on the phone even though I could on my laptop and tablet. The connection icon on the phone showed to be connected but a question mark was superimposed over it. I called customer service and gave permission to take control of the phone. The service tech immediately said you are connected. I called her attention to the question mark and she appeared to be trying to find the problem. after some time she asked to check my router for certain buttons and numbers. Then she asked me to take a picture of certain labels on the router. The pictures were not clear enough to help her so she suggested I contact the router service. At this point she signed off. I checked the phone and it showed that the question mark was gone and service was restored. On further checking I found that several things had changed such as data usage. I am a 92 year old person who no longer drives and seldom leave home so I only used my phone when I am away from home to make calls I did not have an unlimited data plan. I paid for 100 mg of data in case I had need when I was away . I had the phone set to alert me when I had used 97% of the data so I would not go over, Now I find that the data usage alert had been set for several hundred gbs. So i again called customer service and got a different rep who helped me reset the things that had been changed. Almost immediately I get an invoice for $156 and some few cents of data usage. What?? After a few minutes of scratching my head I realized this was connected to the service call. So I call billing and after some discussion they agree to deduct $50.00 and I thanked them and informed them that I did not plan to pay any of the charge. In the meantime I thought back to two previous charges I received for excess data usage, one for $60..00 and one for $40.00 which they agreed to mark off. I belatedly realized that these charges had occurred after my two previous service calls. Within a month I received a call from the billing office asking for payment of the remaining $106.00 I owed. After I explained why I didn't feel I owed this charge and would not pay it.This agent became angry and hung up. .I test my device occasionally to make sure it works. Fast forward to January 2020......I check and it doesn't work. I call customer service and find that service was cut off in November. Sneaky! They didn't notify me. Let me continue to pay a monthly fee as a way to recover the money I do not owe. So for two months I was without help in case I might have needed it. Thank God I didn't. I find it hard to think that a company that supposedly was founded to help the elderly and disabled would be so petty. What happened to this once good business?

Jan 08, 2020

Hello Gwen, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Joanne Siegla

January 6th, 2020 Vienna, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is unchanged from my previous complaint on Dec 20th -- still -0-!! I have NEVER, ever returned an expensive item without authorization. My late husband did that once, they claimed they never got it, he was out of luck. So I was NOT about to start w/ this phone. I notified Great Call the 1st part of Oct that the phone could NOT be activated, and that I did NOT want it. I never got an answer to REPEATED requests until it was too late to return the phone. Then to add insult to injury, the company billed me additional fees for monthly "service". Rather hilarious considered the phone has never even been activated let alone used. Finally the end of Dec, they "suspended" my service. Ridiculous since that was impossible. I still feel I should not have to pay for this worthless object -- unchanged from my first notice to them on October 9, 2019.

Dec 20, 2019

Hello Joanne, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We do not have any long-term contracts and service can be cancelled at any time by calling our Customer Service. Additionally, GreatCall does have a 30-day return option, when you call within 30days the information is provided. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Donna

January 6th, 2020 San Manuel, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My mother signed up for great call and got a jitterbug flip phone. I have an iPhone and I could not figure out this stupid phone. She decided to go back with Verizon and when she did they refused to port her phone number over which she had had for many years and wanted to keep. We spent hours and hours between calling great Cole and Verizon with no luck. Great call gave her such a runaround it was terrible and we did not end up getting her number back. Not only that but when she went to get her contacts and copy them onto her new Verizon phone they had somehow wiped out all her contacts from her flip phone now she Doesn’t even have some of the phone numbers that she wants had. I would not recommend this company to anyone especially a senior citizen!

Jan 07, 2020

Hello Donna, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Laura L Horgan

January 6th, 2020 Onaga, KS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Flip phones caller ID don't work properly, they know it, and they don't care. No refund, no discount, you can return but the $45 activation fee, which is ridiculous, is lost. They know this and let you buy the phone anyway.

Jan 07, 2020

Hello Laura, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Mark H

December 31st, 2019 Taylorville, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As others have stated...I wish I could leave a 0-star review. I cancelled service with GreatCall within 24 hours of activation (ironically because of an issue with the phone, not GreatCall). According to GreatCall's Customer Agreement, there is a 30-day full-refund policy. When I cancelled the service, I was assured that there would be an immediate refund and no further charges. I then received a bill from GreatCall for $51.69, contrary to what I had been told. When I called I was once again assured that the charges would be credited and there would be a $0 balance. I waited for a week to call and just check to insure that the charges were refunded. They had not been. I was once again guaranteed that THIS TIME it would be taken care of and all charges would be deleted. Yesterday (a full 2 months after my original GUARANTEE that I would receive a credit), I received a past-due bill for the full $51.69. Since it is obvious that GreatCall has no intention, or capability, of adhering to their own Customer Agreement, I paid the bill. However, I will do all that I can to dissuade ANYONE from ever using GreatCall. I wonder how many consumers like me have been defrauded by this completely incompetent company. They are either intentionally corrupt or incredibly incompetent. Either way, I encourage anyone who has a Legitimate and Provable case against them to file a formal complaint with both the Better Business Bureau and your State Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs, as well as leaving reviews anywhere you can. It WILL help potential customers. While I realize that GreatCall will never honor their Customer Agreement, I felt much better after filing the formal, written complaints. I am also continuing to search for ANY consumer websites with which I can relay my story. Absolutely a terrible company

Jan 02, 2020

Hello Mark, we appreciate your feedback. As previously advised, because you cancelled withing 24-hours, you have received a full refund for both the activation fee and the monthly service fee. If you do not see the refund on your credit card statement, we suggest you contact your credit card company. Additionally, GreatCall’s 30-day return policy, packaged with the phone and which can be viewed on our web page, https://www.greatcall.com/legal/guarantee, states you will receive a refund less the restocking fee. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

James Bezzerides

December 16th, 2019 Springfield, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

One star is too much. This is a scam in my opinion, charging way too much to vulnerable older people. The service is lousy, the phones are cheap and hard to use. My Dad is now in a nursing home with no memory of his pin, and they won't even let us out of the contract without his authorization! Even with a written POA they say it's about security. What a load of crock.

Dec 17, 2019

Hello James, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We do not have any long term contracts and service can be cancelled at any time by calling our Customer Service. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Linda

December 12th, 2019 West Covina, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

SERVICE NOT RELIABLE - We ported over my dad's Verizon flip phone the day after Thanksgiving to a new Great Call Jitterbug phone. It is now 2 weeks later and the service is still NOT WORKING. He has fallen twice and Great Call had disconnected his Verizon account so he still has no cell service that works! They have no accountability and make mistake after mistake. Just terrible service.

Dec 13, 2019

Hello Linda, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

carol

December 4th, 2019 Greenfield, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could give it a 0 I would. We bought the alert for my father who was independent but a fall risk. The first problem: he has a pacemaker so we couldn't use the location part of it or the fall alert which both work by the magnet that holds the lanyard together although we paid for the service for two months. Second: he had a little bit of memory problem and didn't always remember to recharge it--the battery only held a charge for about a day. I bought it for $79.99 thinking that was the full price for the service. No. There's monthly fee as well. My father felt very confident with his device though and didn't want my brother and I hovering. I checked on him on Monday morning: everything was fine. My brother went over Tuesday evening, he'd been lying on the floor since noon on Monday. He kept pushing the button but the battery was dead. He was in renal failure from dehydration and muscle breakdown from laying in one position (he couldn't get up) for 30 hours! He survived after spending 3 days in the IC, but he was never the same and is now terrified of falling to the point he refuses to walk. I called and complained and cancelled the contract but continued to get bills, then a collection threat! I was so furious I threatened legal action and the calls and bills stopped. But the false sense of security the device gives families and users should be outlawed. When something is made particularly for an elderly person who MAY need help but is independent why in the world would they use something that had to be recharged every day? I'm 20 years younger and sometimes forget to charge my cell. Until they get the battery charging issue fixed, I would warn anyone against this. Get one that doesn't need recharging. Oh, and the fall sensor and locator work on the magnet so it can't be used for anyone with a pacemaker or defibrillator, something they don't tell you when you buy the thing or set up service. We could have killed him using it the first few days until I called about it not working (He fell and sensor didn't go off). On a positive note: the young man who helped me set it up was quite nice. I think if they got the bugs out of it, it would be a great thing. But the battery and magnet issue have to be fixed or the consequences for the next person like my father could be tragic.

Dec 04, 2019

Hello Carol, we are sorry to hear of your experience and would like to investigate this further with you. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional details.

Suza

November 25th, 2019 Bisbee, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Loved it from day one when i called customer svc sev times and many since! They answer on first ring 90% of the time! (After enormous frustration with Verizon in past year!! Over 1\2 hr on hold and 4 reps 4 answers!!) So glad i switched...so far love Jitterbug flip phone fetures also...

Kathleen Sullivan

November 19th, 2019 Nevada City, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Caller ID stopped working on my mother's phone. She only responds to the phone when she sees it is from one of her kids (she is 99 and fearful of scam calls). GreatCalls support said they are aware of the problem but have no idea when it will be fixed. two weeks later - nothing. I cannot phone my mom and she is effectively cut off from the outside world,

Nov 20, 2019

Hello Kathleen, we are sorry to hear of your experience and would like to investigate this further with you. Please look for a private message from us, requesting additional details.

Randall H Reed SR.

November 6th, 2019 Green Bay, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i have used my great call 2 timed a nd withe each time,in less than 2 seconds i had help. i am 79 years old. i feel so safe with this great call and my family is so glad that i am save 24 hours a day. THANK YOU GREAT CALL RANDALL R.

Karin Buxton

October 31st, 2019 Trabuco Canyon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst. my mother lost hers. She has the replacement insurance, they said it would take 3-7 days for the new one to arrive. Here we are 3 weeks out. First they tell me its coming. Second they say..oops...we forget to send it. Third they tell me I cancelled the order...seriously? Now they say it will come in another 2-3 business days, which since it is a Thursday, it still wont be her for another 6 days. Ridiculous! Don't buy...do elsewhere.

Nov 01, 2019

Hello Karin, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Rainbowsea

October 25th, 2019 Jasper, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First and foremost, GreatCall has the best customer service I've had the pleasure of working with. "Alex", and many others I spoke to went above and beyond. When we had to return the phone for lack of signal in the immediate area, they gave my father a complete refund, and made the process very simple. I honestly wished it would have worked out, because while my experience was brief, I'm now a giant fan of GreatCall. I believe they truly care about their customers and will try to help you have the best service. If you are in the market, I hope you give them a try.

Peggy

October 17th, 2019 West Burke, VT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered the Jitterbug for my husband. He has had it approximately 2 weeks. People cannot hear when he talks and he cannot hear them. I called customer support this morning and she did some kind of "fix". Customer Support says that a new software needs to be downloaded which will take 3-10 days and you wont even notice when it happens????? I would hope that there would be a very noticeable difference once the download is complete. I told her I want to return this within the 30 days if we are not satisfied. I really do not know why is would take that long for an update other than they want you outside the 30 day return policy. I will write a new review within the next week after the software upgrade is complete. I will decide then to return the phone.

Oct 17, 2019

Hello Peggy, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Patti

October 17th, 2019 Diamond Springs, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My mother had great call ...the devices never worked properly or at all for most of 8 months .every time she called the problem would be resolved and with in a day or a few , no longer working .i live a long way from her and this just came to my attention . I called the co .while I was there visiting ,the problem could not be resolved . They said they could send a new device ,but the new devises do not have the fall alerts . That’s no good ,because she has neuropathy and vertigo...the reason for the devise in the first place ... we cancelled and received less than 2 months back on her bill .i think she should have gotten a full refund .but , good luck with that !

Oct 17, 2019

Hello Patti, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Annette

October 15th, 2019 Monroeville, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered the phone from GC customer service and was not told that there is a $10 restocking fee until I called to return it. I do not see this fee on their website either with all other stated fees. Will never do business again with a company with this policy. It should be stated when ordering .5

Oct 15, 2019

Hello Annette, we are sorry to hear of your experience and appreciate your feedback Per GreatCall’s 30-day return policy, stated in our Terms and Conditions packaged with each phone and can also be found on our webpage https://www.greatcall.com/legal/guarantee, states for any reason within 30 days from date of purchase, you are not completely satisfied with your phone or device, we will refund the activation fee, the first month's service charge, the cost of the phone/device, plus applicable taxes, less the restocking fee, as long as you do not exceed 30 minutes of talk time. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Bob Gross

October 10th, 2019 Gardiner, ME DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lively Mobile saved my life once when I lost consciousness and fell [before fall detection was available]. The #1 problem is the magnetic clasp on the necklace. The magnet releases when you take off or adjust your shirt. Great Call replaced my device twice as a result of their weak link necklace only because I pay extra for the insurance. The #2 problem is the the fees keep going up. I started at $17 per month. My last "free" replacement had improved battery life correcting a problem in previous versions, but #3, it only charges in its 110 volt plug in charger. The original Lively could be charged on the road from an automotive cigarette lighter. Lastly, I was at a restaurant when a diner at another table had a heart attack. Bystanders were performing CPR. The Great Call agent wanted to know the age and sex of the victim before calling the ambulance. I told her bystander CPR was in progress with family standing around and I couldn't even see the victim. When she finally called the ambulance, she said the line was busy, probably because other diners started calling 911. The ambulance would have arrived 5 minutes sooner had she not asked so many heart-killing questions. I think if CPR is in progress, if it's so important, the age and sex of the victim could be asked AFTER she dispatched the ambulance. CPR is the same for both men, women and children, so why she make me waste more time trying to get close enough to see the victim's sex? What if I were the victim and my wife used Great Call to get an ambulance for me?

Oct 11, 2019

Hello Bob, we are sorry to hear of your experience and we would like to assist you further. Please look for a private message from us with additional details.

James

October 8th, 2019 Menlo Park, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

3 years and counting...then GC did an 'upload' never worked again. Called got a 'new' one - unfortunately NO FALL DETECTION avail - Talk about feeling DECEIVED and let down. Why was I not told NO FD when I initially called??? why make me order a 'new' one that does NOT fit my criteria? Instead had to wait for the new unit, then during the 'set-up' found out about no FALL DETECTION. Right off - blood pressure reaching critical. Due to my needs, I had to cancel..CANCEL my plan all because GC let me down and really angered me by not telling me straight off - Talked to" Junior" - He says he was going to send me authorization to return this...stuff - So far, nothing- I was so happy with GC - now I am starting all over with a new company - Never again - let down and feeling deceived james

Oct 09, 2019

Hello James, we are sorry to hear of your experience and we would like to assist you further. Please look for a private message from us with additional details.

Warren Burch

October 4th, 2019 Troutville, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just got off the phone with Great Call after inquiring yet again about WHEN there would be a Great Call Lively Mobile Plus released to the public. My mothers started having problems with hers about a year ago. She has the most expensive plan that included a free replacement. Problem is, when we called to inquire about the free replacement they had none....I used one that I had bought for my wife. I decided that the issue was the charger and replaced that for my mother. We were told that my mother got a letter about hers but were not told what the letter was in reference to. We asked about getting a replacement unit and they are on a voluntary recall....and would be replaced in a couple of months....that was a year ago....I was just told that on this date 10/4/2019 they are now expecting these to be replaced on 2/20/2020.....REALLY??? Their solution was to replace the lively with a Phone which has no FALL protection....is Not water resistant....didn't even offer to refund....this is a 93 year old lady that is trying to be independent....GREAT CALL..owned by BEST BUY......at best you have become PITIFUL.

Oct 04, 2019

Hello Warren, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

DUlrich

October 4th, 2019 Wendell, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Bought Greatcall device for elderly father in law. Device stopped holding a charge. Called for support was told it needed software update. Update was completed and was told to monitor for couple of days. Now still won't hold a charge and NOW they want to diagnose the problem. The customer support representative acted as if it's my problem that I will have to drive back to the city 100+ miles to diagnose the problem for them. In the meantime my blind and deaf Father in law has been with out his device. I was told before that all I would have to do is call back for a replacement. I think its all an elaborate scam.

Oct 04, 2019

Hello DUIrich, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from

Lynne Oakley

September 25th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Bought a Jitterbug smart phone for my 83YO mother, phone is OK except she pushed the alert button by mistake like 5 times while holding the phone over the past few months so police come to the house. Called the company to have that feature removed, never wanted it anyway. THey said there is no way to shut that off, I even tried taking over the button, still won't stop it . Going to cancel service

Sep 25, 2019

Hello Lynne, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Tim

September 23rd, 2019 Arcadia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The GreatCall app for their Lively device with fall detection showed my mom was six miles from home in a gravel pit. When I called Customer Service they said they also showed her there but 30 minutes ago. When I asked to speak to a supervisor the rep refused. I called back and had the same experience but for 30 minutes with another customer service person. They were unable to locate my mom. They were awful...belligerent and condescending. When I finally reached my mom she was at home. A supervisor called and the three of us then spent 45 minutes trying to reset the device but it was in some loop and repeatedly said ‘setting up’ please wait. The supervisor offered to send a new device but cautioned that ‘fall detection’ would not be working for an estimated two months. I told him that fall detection was our primary need. He then offered to call back at noon the next day to again try to reactivate the device. I then read about the class action lawsuit by customers who have been harmed by trusting Great Call. I read that many ‘Lively’ devices were recalled with an offer of a Jitterbug phone and a $50 Best Buy card. The supervisor did not call back. We cancelled our subscription.

Sep 23, 2019

Hello Tim, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Bridgewatch

September 23rd, 2019 Seattle, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible company. Had the phone for over 6 years and paid almost $3000+ for the six years..finally cancelled the service that never worked and then continued to be billed after I cancelled service for the next month. The phone is in the garbage so I cannot use the phone that doesn’t work and service cancelled but still must pay another month after $3000+ paid for a phone that never worked? Run for the hills and avoid this over advertised disaster of a company that exploits seniors...great Call you should be ashamed of your selves..yes I spread the word and tell EVERYONE!

Sep 23, 2019

Hello Bridgewatch, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Ruby

September 23rd, 2019 Waco, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They refuse to be transparent about charges, or give an itemized statement of charges. Awful service, awful business mode, just plain seems dishonest. Feels like dealing with someone trying to scam you. No explanation of what they charged you for, just demands to pay out of the blue. I think this company is cheating people.

Sep 23, 2019

Hello Ruby, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Ilene Metrick

September 17th, 2019 Alburtis, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We thought great call was a wonderful company since John Walsh was an advocate. After 2 years we have a totally different attitude. Her phone is always muffled and no one can understand her. One time we thought she was having a stroke. Immediately we called her house phone and she was fine. She has had 4 phones and each one is worse than the other. As for her medic alert necklace we were very pleased with the service until 3 days ago. It stopped working and now Great Call wants $15 to replace it. What kind of nonsense is this. When my mom lived in NJ and there was a problem her necklace was replaced immediately. How dare Great Call leave an 88 year old women without her medic alert. I am infuriated and find this unacceptable. John Walsh needs to realize that this company is not what it used to be. It has deteriorated drastically. If you love your family member find another company.

Sep 17, 2019

Hello Ilene, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

Patrick Gilmore

September 17th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the worst call service ever. I called to activate 3 times and I was hung up on after I asked to speak to a supervisor. After I had to call back the supervisor was just as rude as the original call taker!!! I was talked over numerous times and the length of time to activate was absolutely unacceptable. Horrible service. Stay away. Stay far away!!! Worst service I have ever experienced by anyone for any service. It is not worth it at all. Could not believe the customer service treatment.

Sep 17, 2019

Hello Patrick, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and appreciate your feedback. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private message from us.

germaine jacky

September 9th, 2019 Greensboro, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Four or five months ago Great Call had to recall their "fall down" device because of "design errors" . I had already paid $53 for a months rental . For a replacement they sent a Jitter bug phone which I returned, because I already had a phone. I request that they return my $53. They never did although they agreed they owed it to me. I've called and called and called and each time they say "it's on the way" It hasn't happened. Beware of this company. OK only after Best Company published the review above, did Greatcall finally refund the $53. So Thank You Best Company and I still don't think much of you Great Call but I am adding a star.

Aug 28, 2019

Hello Germaine, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. Please look for a private message from us, requesting information so that we may assist you further.

Vern

September 9th, 2019 Eugene, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were having lunch at a popular restaurant when my 94 year old father passed out. We pressed the button and the person who answered could not hear us although we were screaming into the microphone of the device. They could not locate our location even though we were in a central area. We had to call 911 from our phones to get the paramedics to come. The device is supposed to have GPS capabilities and it seems that was not working either. A huge letdown and very worrisome for seniors who are alone!

Sep 09, 2019

Hello Vern, we are sorry to hear about your father's experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

D R Alexander

September 6th, 2019 Lubbock, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It is hard to get through to a live person for customer service; they don't want to refund money charged for cancelled service but they are VERY willing to turn off service in the middle of a pre-paid billing cycle. Customer service agents are rude, do not listen to the purpose of a call to customer service and try to browbeat clients not to cancel service.

Sep 06, 2019

Hello D R Alexander, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Samuel

September 6th, 2019 Seminole, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Well I just activated my moms phone and had a horrible experience with the customer service reps, first one was just short with me which I can deal with but second one (Betty) was plain out rude and insulted my intelligence and very bothered by my calling to activate my moms phone, I am so glad I called her instead of my 83 year old mom, she would have been in tears (my mom). Third rep was helpful but really didn’t want to be. I certainly hope it gets better from here.

Sep 06, 2019

Hello Samuel, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

kcmo

September 4th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

mother's splash device won't hold a charge. battery is not replaceable. must replace entire device AND here's the kicker- NO DEVICES ARE AVAILABLE for replacement or new purchase. so pay for a service, but carry your charger at all times. website support is nothing. customer service rep on call line offer no suggestions nor timeline for availability- just keep checking back on the website to see if any devices are in stock.

Sep 06, 2019

Hello Kcmo, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Susan M.

September 4th, 2019 Charlotte, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just got off the phone with GreatCall. I have subscribed to the LIVELY device for several years, and it is now beginning to fail. GreatCall was purchased by BestBuy last year, and for the past 5 months they have been unable to tell me when the new Lively will be available for sale. At this time, the only product available to purchase from GreatCall is one of their cell phones, which I do not need or want. Something bad is going on with this company. They cannot even give me a date to anticipate the Lively becoming available. Customer service is very pleasant and have been helpful in the past, and I have really liked my Lively. Do not expect the Lively (if they ever have another model) to last more than 2 years. I am at the end of life with my second device.

Sep 06, 2019

Hello Susan, we are sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the Lively Mobile and we appreciate your feedback. Please check our website for updated information regarding the Lively Mobile. www.greatcall.com.

Arnold M

August 28th, 2019 Rochester, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had my device for over 5-years. Never once has it failed me. I have had to use it only 3 times. Their people were VERY polite and helpful. They even encouraged my to test the device now and then to make sure all was in order. I don't know why there are may who complain about the service. I would suggest that you only use the Lively Wearable and NOT the cell phone. Looking over the reviews t looks like most of the complaints are with the cell phone devices like the Jitterbug. The lively wearable has only two controls: a on/off button and an emergency help button. If you need help just push the button and talk to the technician hands free with the Lively Wearable. No complicated anything. The best thing is that the Lively Wearable works anywhere, at home or away from home. No base station is required. The Lively Wearable is pure simplicity.

Claudia

August 23rd, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst company i have ever dealt with. they truly try and take advantage of the elderly. I returned the phone for horrible reception less than 30 days after purchase. not only won't they refund they service charge but won't pay me back for the phone. I am out $102.47 and have NOTHING to show for it besides TWO MONTHS of calling for a refund. IF they had a zero star i would chose that.

Aug 23, 2019

Hello Claudia, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Lou Baumgartner

August 20th, 2019 Charlottesville, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

GreatCall has excellent customer service but their technical support is horrific. My father has not been able to use his phone for a week as they are unable to push through the necessary update. No amount of escallating this resolves the issues. If he could use another service I would cancel his phone and switch services in a second. Its inexcusable that a company that deals with seniors and their safety cannot fix this issue easily.

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Lou, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Gerald Slothouber

August 20th, 2019 Warsaw, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had the Great Call 5 Star for over 5 years. Thank God I have not had to use it for any emergencies. I did use it one time shortly after getting it to check if I was getting reception & 1 time when I accidentally pushed the button while working in the shop. Both times there was an Great Call person responding in seconds. Love the fact that family gets notified immediately. Also like the gps so family can check on my location especially when traveling. Hope the new unit is available soon as the battery in mine is losing power after years of use. Would encourage anyone to look into getting one if Great Call products.

BARBARA Simmons

August 20th, 2019 Battle Creek, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I pay for service on 3 family members. Recently my dad's unit died and tech could not get it working. We want another pendant style, but they have been "out of stock" for 3+ months. The only option given was a bulky jitterbug flip phone. It's hard to carry his smart phone plus the new one just to have access to a medical button. I looked online, but it's also out of stock there. I want to stay with this company, but not if I cannot get the equipment that is right for my family members. Ideas?

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Barbara, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Karen

August 20th, 2019 Olympia, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My mother has been a great call alert user for years until it recently wouldn’t hold a charge. She called customer service who said , unbeknownst to her, the device had been recalled ( and ineffective for a time). They sent her a jitterbug flip phone and then tried to charge her for the phone and a minutes plan that she hadn’t agreed to. She said she has already has a cell phone and sent it back. It’s beyond horrible that a company that one entrusts with your literal life would have such shoddy customer service. After a simple google search I see many others with similar issues. Stay away from greatcall.

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Karen, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Ray Krause

August 13th, 2019 Pleasant Prairie, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This was my wife's phone for emergencies. She made maybe 1 call a month and did not leave it on when not in use. I needed to use this phone recently when mine broke. I activated the 911 call 2 X's with in 12 hours by just putting the phone in my pocket. I contacted GC about this to see if I could get that app removed. No way they said. They recommended I put a piece a tape over the app. I am paranoid to use this. Needless to say I shut the phone off and will wait until my new phone (not GC) arrives. My wife will no longer haver access to this phone as I will get her another phone from a different service at a way better cost

Aug 13, 2019

Hello Ray, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Beck

August 7th, 2019 Northampton, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My mother purchased a lively mobile device for 89.00. End of October . She passed away in April. Had 6 months. We tried to pass on to another senior citizen to set up their own account , they said it is outdated and we can not. Only 6 months old . What if my mother was still alive? Couldn’t she use, their answer was yes , so what’s the difference? Terrible customer service. Representative hung up on us. Asked for at least upgrade or credit , got no where! Ridiculous ! Don’t use GREAT CALL!

Aug 09, 2019

Hello Beck, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. GreatCall strives to provide the highest level of Customer Service available. We would like to look into this further with you, please look for a private response from us.

Louie Smith

August 5th, 2019 Indio, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service the worst. Rude, talking over you. I cancelled the service toay 8-2-2019 over payment issue. Was set up to pay monthly . Charged card. Two days later call and advised to next pay due in 0 day. Posted three payment in 3 weeks. . Agent today very rude. I hung up. Cancelled service. Tossed device in trash. Obtained service elsewhere .

Aug 05, 2019

Hello Mr. Smith, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further with you. Please look for a private response from us.

Dell

July 31st, 2019 Woodland Park, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

No company ever talks about battery life. We bought a Lively Mobile several years ago and was told the unit could go for 96 hours on standby before the battery would need to be recharged. NOT true the battery needs to be recharged every evening. So if my 99 year old mother needs to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night she has to wake up enough to put her device on or she goes unprotected. My advice before buying any device is to triple check the information regarding batteries. Even Consumers Reports, which was our original source, was inaccurate when it came to battery life.

ruth rowley

July 29th, 2019 Dayton, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got my first GreatCall when I turned 80 three years ago. It worked fine for 2 1/2 years. Got a new one in Feb. '19 and it no longer works. Just spent almost an hour with Customer Service Rep. (who was very lovely, BTW) who tried to help. Almost impossible to press button on front and button on back and look at flashing lights on the front and turn it off immediately when lights turned red or green or flashing or not flashing ! Very difficult to follow the detailed directions and hold a small device doing those directions. My memory is still fairly good and I have no arthritis in my hands and still difficult. Finally gave up. Asked for a replacement but they are out of stock. Asked for local service help and there is none. Canceled!!! Will try another brand.

Jul 29, 2019

Hello Ruth, thank you for sharing your experience. At this time, we are not able to offer replacements for our Lively Mobile devices. We are working to correct the problem and can understand your disappointment. Please follow up with us so that we can discuss the alternative coverage options available at this time.

Scott

July 17th, 2019 San Luis Obispo, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The response from Great Call is so outrageous inept and misleading, first there is an ongoing Mandatory Recall, their is several US District Court Lawsuits, and pending several State Lawsuits, there is also numerous investigations by FCC, FDA, FTC, CSPC, DCA and now MEDWATCH for recalled Defective Devices. Great Call and Best Buy have been trying to scare people off from suing them for the fraud, defective devices, as for anything you sent me was all returned to YOU. Check with your Lawyers, today Great Call confirmed I do NOT any-longer have any accounts with BBY or Great Call even they petty $50 gift card was returned with the Jitterbug which was never used. As can been seen BBY/Greatcall other posting from other people you have a real serious problem with this NON-Working Device. 100% Defective

Jul 16, 2019

Scott, we are sorry to hear about your experience and understand your concerns. Our records show that we mailed a voluntary recall notice letter to you, and all affected customers, on May 15, 2019, informing you that we were recalling all Lively Mobile Plus devices that launched in late April 2019. The letter was sent as part of a voluntary recall conducted by GreatCall with oversight of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. We, like you, are disappointed by the unfortunate issue with the Lively Mobile Plus and have done all we can to correct the issue as quickly as possible. Our records show that you purchased a Lively Mobile Plus and accepted the full refund due to the recall, which was credited to your account on May 20, 2019. On May 27, 2019, you contacted GreatCall customer service about acquiring another Lively Mobile Plus but were again informed about the return of the device. Instead, you accepted our offer of a free Jitterbug Flip phone, which remains active at this time.

Shirley

July 16th, 2019 Gering, NE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I first had Great Call it was GREAT. It could tack me everywhere I went. A great comfort for me. As time went on it could no longer track me??? I called service they even sent me a new one. They could no longer track me. THUS i HAD TO QUIT,

Jul 16, 2019

Hello Shirley, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and we appreciate your feedback. If any further assistance is needed, please call Customer Service at 1-800-733-6632, between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.

David

July 15th, 2019 Delray Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had the device for about 2 years when it failed to hold a charge. I called and was advised they had no replacement device as the device on the market to replace it as the replacement device had been recalled. I was then advised to keep the defective device and pay a monthly charge and wait for the new device to come on the market. I cancelled.

Cathy Grimes

June 27th, 2019 Huntington Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

GreatCall Lively Mobile got the best 'Customer Response Views' when pressing Emergency button by far vs the others. I tried to buy the 'Lively Mobile' (SMALL, FOB button type), but Amazon showed it was recalled. I called GC directly and was told on 6/19/19 that the Lively Mobile 'should be available in a few weeks, but we'll send you our Jitterbug Flip Phone in the meantime at reduced cost. The Flip phone is almost unusable for the purpose of having it with you at all times, especially in case you fall and cannot get to a phone. It is clunky, heavy, and constantly sends loud noises every few minutes when charging, which I have turned off, but keeps coming back on. I was told that Best Buy had bought out GreatCall. That is bad news for me as my experiences with Best Buy have NOT been good. So I am now stuck with this awful phone that I will have to go through the hassle of returning IF the Lively Mobile is NOT available by the end of July. Best Buy will not even give the Customer Service people a RANGE of likely dates the Lively Mobile will be available, so I have little hope.

Jun 28, 2019

Hello Cathy, we are sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, after the release of the new Lively Mobile Plus, we identified a quality issue in a limited number of the devices. We are being very cautious because our customer’s safety is our top priority. As such, we have voluntarily recalled the Lively Mobile Plus devices. Please keep in mind that this recall does not affect any other GreatCall products or services. While we understand that the Jitterbug Flip phone is not as small as the Lively Mobile Plus, we do offer a leather carrying case that would allow you to clip the phone to your pocket or belt to make it easier to carry the phone with you. We strive to provide the highest level of Customer Service available and while we do not currently have an exact release date for the Lively Mobile Plus, we are working hard to have the new device available soon. In the meantime, we would like to send you a free carrying case for the phone and make note of your account for follow up when the device is available. Additionally, as soon as a release date is available, we will update our website with this information. Please look for a private message from us asking for your account information.

Kennth

June 18th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought the Great Call device for my mother. She has fallen on 3 different occasions. All 3 times the call center persons have been very helpful, they stay on line till she has been gotten up from the floor. We have had the device for over 5 years, and we have not needed it till the last 18 months. Never sorry that I have bought it. My mind is at ease with her having it. I recommend it HIGHLY to anybody that ask. I researched all the others out there and this one DOES NOT HAVE A BASE STATION TO RELAY your troubles. This one goes anywhere we go and all I have to do is take the charging cradle. If no power, I plug in the car adaptor.