Optimum Online Logo

3.9

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2022

Optimum Online offers download speeds up to 300 Mbps and no data caps. Optimum Online also does not require contracts.

Along with the variety of services, Optimum Online promises their customers a high level of customer service with any need they might have. With no contract necessary and a money-back guarantee, there is no risk for customers to try Optimum Online.

View Optimum Online Reviews

Optimum Online is a part of the Cablevision family, which was founded in 1973 as a provider for cable TV. These many years of experience have helped them to create a service base that covers most of their customers' needs including TV, phone, and internet. Optimum Online's customers include over a million people within the metropolitan New York area and regions of New Jersey and Connecticut.

The Good

• Quick Upload Speeds
  • Competitive Pricing
  • The "Smart Router"

Quick Upload Speeds

Optimum Online offers incredibly quick upload speeds; its top package provides an upload speed of 35 Mbps, which is one of the fastest upload speeds in the industry. This is a nice feature for customers who upload significant amounts of content to the internet.

Competitive Pricing

Optimum Online's internet plans are competitively priced compared to top service providers in the industry. They also offer bundling deals for customers who want to bundle their internet plan with their cable TV or phone plans. Here's a breakdown of what they have to offer for internet:

• Altice Advantage Internet — $14.99 per month, 30 Mbps (eligibility requirements)
  • Optimum 10 — $24.95 per month, 10 Mbps
  • Optimum 20 — $29.99 per month, 20 Mbps
  • Optimum Online — $64.95 per month, 100 Mbps
  • Optimum 200 — +$20 per month, 200 Mbps
  • Optimum 300 — +$55 per month, 300 Mbps
  • Optimum 400 — +$55 per month, 400 Mbps

Customers can also rent a modem for $10 per month. If you lease a modem on an Optimum Online plan, you can get the Smart Router for free.

The "Smart Router"

Instead of a regular old run-of-the-mill router, Optimum Online offers its customers a "Smart Router." The Smart Router is quick and easy to set up and offers top-of-the-line security. Additionally, the Smart Router will automatically update itself to ensure that it is always running the latest technology. If customers run into any issues with their Smart Router, they can call Optimum Online's 24/7 helpline and speak to a trained technician.

The Bad

• No Plan Smaller than 200 Mbps
  • Additional Fees
  • Lack of Transparency

No Plan Smaller than 200 Mbps

While this may be a benefit to avid internet users, Optimum Online offers a 200 mbps download speed as its lowest plan. For customers who don't use several devices at once, Optimum doesn't offer afforable options with lower upload and download speeds. Optimum Online could improve by expanding their plan options.

Additional Fees

Optimum Online charges installation and early termination fees, which are not uncommon for internet service providers. However, this means the base monthly price isn't an accurate representation of the total cost to the consumer. Here are a breakdown of the fees:

• Standard installation fee — $99
  • Premium installation fee — $149.99
  • Restore service fee — $10 for 2 or less products, $15 for 3
  • Modem rental fee — $10 per month
  • Network enhance fee — $3.50

Lack of Transparency

It is unclear which states are currently serviced by Optimum Online. Without this information it is difficult for customers who are seeking an internet provider. They may decide that Optimum would be a great service provider but find out at the last moment that their area is not within Optimum's service range.

The Bottom Line

When it comes down to it, Optimum Online offers quick upload speeds and a helpful Smart Router. However, the company is not transparent and its packages are relatively expensive. Customers who live in the company's service area and are interested in fast speeds may be interested in Optimum Online, while price-conscious customers may have better luck with another provider.

View Best Internet Service Companies

1.7

G Houston, TX

SUB-OPTIMUM. Absolutely the worst internet service I’ve ever experienced. We used to have Suddenlink, but Optimum bought them out. Suddenlink was nowhere near the best, but outages never lasted more than a day. With subOptimum, we are in the midst of an outage that has lasted for over a WEEK with ZERO explanation why, nor an ETA when it will be fixed. We’ve already called another ISP to switch. NEVER, *EVER* use Optimum unless you have no other choice. And in that case, I’m sorry.

Vittoria Smith Yonkers, NY

Your company is fraudulent! Constantly stealing money out of my bank account. When I called the company you’re unwilling to resolve stealing my money‼️‼️‼️ When I have proof that I make payments when they’re automatically taken out monthly. You’re the worst company ever‼️‼️‼️‼️

Tina Peters Sweetwater, TX

the lack of service and professionalism with this company is absolutely ridiculous. they took the funds from my account for the installation and I booked time off of work to make sure I was there for the appointment. they cancelled the installation without notifying me. saying the weather was to hazardous for an install it was a clear and beautiful day the best weather we’ve had in a while. they didn’t communicate the cancellation to me and gave me a hard time when I requested a refund and pleaded that I leave a good review.

JAMES BROADWELL Ocean Springs, MS

Optimum is the worst ever. I left 1 star because I couldn’t leave a minus 10. Service is horrible and they cont come when they promise to. They take my money faithfully and on or before it’s due but lie about when they will come to repair, even with a promised time and date. IF YOU HAVE TO GET INTERNET THEN RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN TO SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonia McNeil New York, NY

I have been an optimum customer for years and I am disappointed with the people they send to my home. These men are untidily dressed, and don’t know what they’re doing. I had an issue with my cable box, and I called customer service, which by the way is the worst in the country. So I called and I spoke to an agent and told him what my issues were. He promised that they would send someone to fix my problem. I was home from 11am-8pm which was the window wait. I was afraid to even go to the corner store because I didn’t want to miss them. No body showed up, no body called. I call optimum again they gave me another appointment, I waited again, the young man came and told me that the problem was the box. He promised to get a new one, when he came back, he had a old refurbished box which when he hooked it up, it wouldn’t work. He told me he would be back the following day to change it, since he didn’t have a replacement in truck, he never called, he never showed up. I made another appointment. Technician came, told me I wasn’t connected to the internet. He have the adocity to tell me to call optimum, and explained what was going on because it’s difficult for him to get through. I called, optimum, gave me another appointment….meanwhile my work is due to be submitted to my boss ( I need the internet to work from home) and all I am getting each time is how sorry they are for the inconvenience . I will be thinking of suing for pain and suffering. I wish I could give them zero star because that’s what they’re worth

Mallory

Optimum Online is an honest and trustworthy service provider to have. The have wonderful customer service and exceptional communication. We highly recommend to anyone shopping around.

Stephen Thompson Tyler, TX

Suddenlink appears to now be re-branding as optimum in our area. Suddenlink’s customer service has been horrendous. Only time will tell if this will improve with the “re-branding “. Technicians that come to the house have been very helpful, but in person customer service at the office has been terrible, live chat and telephone customer service has varied from very poor to very excellent – totally dependent upon the representative that answers the chat or call.

Diane Leicht Long Beach, NY

I’m joining the chorus of dissatisfied frustrated disappointed longstanding customers. Wi-Fi is unreliable scheduled appointments equally unreliable and customer service when you actually get thru the quagmire of prompts is basically nonexistent; polite but not knowledgeable and unhelpful. I don’t know if I have other options in my building but I am so sick of paying an exorbitant monthly fee only to be constantly stressed and aggravated that I will be looking for an alternative.

Ben L Brooklyn, NY

I have been a Optimum customer for 5+ years. Service is very disappointing. I was not able to change to another provider because my building only had Optimum. The major red flag I have with this provider is that the internet is extremely unstable. Connection and speed always fluctuate, the longest period of consistency I had was 4 months. To add fuel to the fire, every time I have contact Optimum support they reported no issue is found. I have followed their instructions on rebooting the modem, rebooting the router, even went as far as renting their modem instead of purchasing one myself. To this day, with Optimum's OWN modem, they still blame it on customer's hardware. But it is not hardware issue on myside, I let the situation play out for a day or two, then the service magically goes back to normal. This led me to believe it is not my hardware problem, but Optimum's problem. I have changed absolutely nothing, yet the service just resumed to normal...? After support have told me, "Connection looks good on our side, seems like a router/modem issue"? I have my own router, but it is running default settings since it was installed. Optimum kept pushing and pushing me to use their equipment, which have to be rented monthly, not free. ON TOP OF THOSE, I have been with Optimum for 5+ years. ZERO honor for loyal customers, prices go up year after year. A new customer today will pay less than what I am paying for the same speed. They quoted me $80 to have a technician sent out. If the problem is found to be my, I will have to pay up for it. At this point, I mind as well use the $80 to pay for setup fee of another provider. I am moving out soon, and the new place have plenty of providers to choose from. I have to say, Optimum provided the worst internet service experience I have ever had.

Mike Walsh Franklin, NC

Ever since Optimum bought out our ISP the service has declined. I am not getting the speed that I am paying for. They have admitted that there is an issue locally that the cannot figure out what is going on . They cancelled my appointment without calling and I sat and waiting for my service call. When I called to find out why they didn't show up I was advised it was because there was and issue on the line and they did not need to come to the house. They will not issue a credit unless I have no connection to them. The representatives are just awful reading scripts and doing everything they can to make you give up with them. VERY poor customer service!

Edith Kohn Brooklyn, NY

Unless you have all the time in the world to speak to one ignorant representative after another stay away from Optimum

Tessa Layne Eastman

I was having problems with my TV, it keep shutdown all the time. Mr. M took my call and assured me that everything will be okay, he’s friendly, knowledgeable and competent , my tv is working good now. Thank you Mr. M. Mrs.C. fron Brooklyn.

Karim New York, NY

I would never recommend this lousy service. Their internet connection is a complete joke. Instead of using the wifi to stream movies on my firestick, I use an ethernet cable to minimize the buffering. That didn't work. It literally buffer even more. I can't even enjoy a sitcom with commercials without it buffering 40-50xs. Disgusting. Tuesday I'll be canceling my service after a total of 11 days. Wish fios had an earlier appointment available. I would've canceled sooner! I blame myself for this.

OptimumSucks Brooklyn, NY

The absolute worst. Our connection would drop dozens of times every day, and/or provide speeds of ~2 mbps (we paid for 500mbps). We had technicians come over and over, replaced our equipment, restarted hundreds of times, adjusted settings, etc. Nothing worked. To top it off, these dirtbags won't even let you cancel the service without a phone call, during which they repeatedly try to push you into additional services/packages. If you have any other option, try it.

Fiurela Polan Mahwah, NJ

Nothing but a rip off, you pay for what they call fast internet, i transfered my service because unfortunately where i leave there is only optimum, i paid $94 on march 6th, they transfered my service on march 19th "which wss supposed to be free of charge for instalation" is april 6th and i was charged $334 of internet service which was supposee to ne $29. 99 A month, this people are out of control, i paid over $400 in a month just for internet

Mark Little Elm, TX

I pay full price for 1gb Internet service. If my Internet were a horse I would shoot it.

Julia Mikhelzon Brooklyn, NY

I would give them no star if possible. I had an installation appointment made and the confirmation email said to pay $29.99 fee before installation takes place. I've paid the fee at 9 am on the day of installation whereas my installation was scheduled from 2 to 5 pm EST. I have waited for 4 hours and no technician came. No communication whatsoever from the company. After 4 hours of waiting, I have called Optimum and spoke to 3 different representatives the last one being their supervisor and no one knows why their technician did not show up. One lame excuse i was given that their system was not updated to reflect the payment made. I've tried to escalate this issue to a higher supervisor and was told they don't call back their customers. This is a non-existent customer service of Optimum Online.

Tres Leches Brooklyn, NY

Optimum (a.k.a. Cablevision/Altice) is a criminal organization whose only purpose is to scam and aggravate customers with throttled speeds, daily outages and nonexistent customer service. Their prices go up while your connection speeds will go down (many times to zero). As working remotely became the norm for many of us, these scammers are constantly jeopardizing our livelihoods with their crippled, subpar service. Their socalled customer service is almost nonexistent. If you call them, you will either be left on hold for hours, or connected to a rude, non knowledgable CS agent who, in the end, will not help you solve your problem. They will insist on scheduling an unnecessary visit, and the technician will not arrive at the stipulated date and time. If you are lucky and they decide to show up, you will still be left with your issue unresolved. I have the misfortune of not having other options available in my area, otherwise I'd have dropped Optimum several years ago. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Zero consideration for their paying customers.

ppchsdbib Broomfield, CO

Optimum is the worst ISP there is. Dealing with them is an infuriating maze. They are incompetent and actively unhelpful. Avoid at all costs.

Alan Saddle Brook, NJ

I am still wondering why there is no zero star option because their customer services deserve no stars. I called for a technician because my wifi stopped working. They charged an $80 fee, which is more than my monthly wifi bill, for fixing an outside line problem. I called customer service and complained. They say that the problem came from the house, which is laughable because the technician was outside the house the whole time. I would understand the charges if I was responsible for the damages but no devices were broken. I asked to speak to their manager but they put me on hold for over half an hour. I don't recommend Optimum to anyone. Edit: I called Optimum customer service again. Following an hour of speaking with the representative, I finally talked to the manager. After another long talk, the manager promised to deduct the $80 fee from my next monthly wifi bill. He also reminded me that if a technician were to be called again for service, I need to communicate with the technician on what he had fixed, so there would be no misunderstanding.

Rolando Marte The Bronx, NY

customer support very satisfied they sound that they want to help you ,and they do. When they say that are busy. You can hang up the phone promising that they are going to call you. Right now I like them very much.excellent customer service

ray rodriguez Yonkers, NY

One of the worst experiences. I signed Up for internet access in mid Nov 2021 and have experienced at least 10-15 drops in service per day. Multiple techs have visited my apt to say that my in home setup is working but that there is an issue with the external wiring outside of my apartment building. They were supposed to schedule a visit from an external tech to look at the external wiring but that has nit happened. I called support and now have another tech coming to visit my apt to check my internal setup and then will need to schedule an external tech. This is completely ridiculous and I would completely stay away from Altice. They literally give you the run around. I plan to leave the service and go to another provider asap. All who are having issues should do the same because they are just going to continue to bill you monthly and not resolve any issues

Victor Olaore Omoshehin Brooklyn, NY

Terrific experience! 3weeks my box isn't working, they promised they will come change the box, yet I couldn't get to see any technician. Was given an appointment between 10am -8pm, I called out from my two jobs just to wait for the technician that never showed up with no calls, no excuses. Each time I tried calling the self service, it's similar stress and same stories.. Optimum specially make their customers seevice calling line process to be technical and not customer friendly to discourage you from calling the customer service. This network has the worst customer service and the most terrific customer relations I have ever witnessed in United States. I will recommend to the company to hire more customer service to deal with the customer service issues and get enough technicians to deal with the problems across your network. I am sick and feel terrible.

LifeBEam Energetics Brooklyn, NY

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. Service cuts out multiple times a day, I've had two routers replaced by their tech people. NO ONE can tell me what's wrong or how to fix it. DO NOT choose them if you have a choice.

MY Woodmere, NY

My parents were users since the early 2000 until i got involved yesterday and learned that they were paying almost 4x what they should have been paying for years for services they don't have. I spent almost half a day trying to get them back paid and they kept passing us from one rep to the the other, and then finally a "manager". Still weren't able to figure out how these chargers increased and the best they offered was to drop my parents future bills to 19$ a month. my parents don't watch TV and somehow they were paying for cable even though there's no record of them signing up for it. I was so upset these are the kinds of stories you hear about seniors being taken advantage of and wonder how its ok and there's no one to hold responsible. I had them switch to verizon fios at half the price.

Andres Lopez Elizabeth, NJ

0 Stars. I scheduled an appointment to add a new box, I stayed at home all day long, no one came or called. I contacted Optimum and they said appointment was cancelled, and they can scheduled another appointment but I will be charged $59.99, or if I want to have the box delivered a week after and do it myself. I still don't believe the kind of service they are offering. The worst service in all areas. They cancel appointments themselves so customers call back and pay for everything, they charge for checking the router, they charge for changing their old equipment, they charge to fix the bad service they are giving. Burglars. Terrible service, no more Optimum.

Alejandro J Sola Stony Brook, NY

Unfortunately, Optimum has a monopoly on several parts of Long Island. That is why it gets away with putrid, overpriced services. Some examples: 1. The connection speed slows down to a trickle every evening. 2. Optimum charges much more than its competitors (where it competes), for worse service. 3. Optimum unilaterally changed my fixed phone number. They did not ask for mi permission to do so. They never even informed me. 4. Optimum will swamp your Inbox with ads for more expensive services. However, it will neglect to send a single email to remind you if your account is past due, so it can hit you with a cool $15 reconnection fee. Isn't it charming? 5. Optimum's "customer service" reps are really rude. They won't even offer the fake "I am sorry you feel screwed" apologies other crappy companies do. If Optimum is not the only ISP in your area, switch. If it is, consider moving.

Amulya Kothapalli Rego Park, NY

I unfortunately had this Internet service. Such terrible customer service. When i moved, I called multiple times to cancel the internet service and they said they have my account set up for cancellation. And i even confirmed if it was cancelled and the customer service said yes. A month later i get a bill from them and when i call in - everyone says different things. And when i asked them to check the records that i put in a request to get my account cancelled - he says i dont see any. They are lousy people who cant even get their job right and just waste your money. And they will transfer your call 4-5 times and end up disconnecting the call. Their internet service is very slow as well and they increase rates every once in a while without a notice. 77$ for basic internet. Really ? Please get some other service because Optimum service is not at all worth it.

Alex Taylor Plainview, NY

THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE! This company should be sued for how the handle customer service and the fees they charge. My wifi hasn't been working for over a month and they have sent technicians to my home numerous times each week to try and fix it. Turns out its their cheap equipment that doesn't work - I finally went and bought my own router at Best Buy and now my service works. When I talked to optimum and ask them to refund me for the lack of service and countless technician appointments they say they cannot refund/comp this as it was "my equipment issue and not theres..." so when I state that it was an OPTIMUM ROUTER that was brought to my home by an OPTIMUM TECHNICIAN from the OPTIMUM COMPANY they say that it technically is not theirs once it is installed into your home regardless of them being the ones to give it to you and install it in your home. Waiting for the day another service provider enters my neighborhood - as Im sure many others included will be jumping ship from Optimum and avoiding it like the plague.

I B Hyannis, MA

This company sucks! So I call in on the 2nd to get internet service and I get that set. I am to start annoyed they require first month’s payment plus installation. I am not getting service till the 15th and have to pay for a full month of service before it’s installed. Then I keep looking at emails and see “free installation “ so I click on the link and it says my location qualifies. So I call and try and cancel my service that I had over the phone because I want this free installation. I order the online free installation today and call in and hear that it’s not free! It’s all a scam! Here is the real secret to the company. It costs $120 to put in new service for like a new home. So they say “ free installation” because the location has had optimum in it before. But when u sign up online you have to call I. To confirm your appointment. Then they charge the $59 installation anyways! Over the phone or online you will pay $59 for installation! Nothing is free! This “ free installation” is a complete scam! Now I am waiting for a call back to reschedule my installation date that I canceled! They could of told me on the phone instead of me going through all this crap! This company sucks! I am very unhappy with them!

Erotomane Roseau Waterbury, CT

It hurts me to hear those people talking about how they are keeping people connected during the pandemic. I always pay my bill on time but the 2nd month after the CoViD19 starts hurting the country, I logged into to pay my monthly payment, a little late duh since I've been out of work for more than a month, but realized that they have added a $10 late fee on my bill, when I call customer service and ask if they can remove that $10, the lady told me, if I can't pay my internet, I should let her know right away and she will be happy to cancel my service. I normally don't right silly reviews knowing how much that can hurt a company but I was outraged by the answer that I have received just because I asked for the late fee to be removed. theses people are sick in the head

Caroline Braintree, MA

If I could rate them zero stars I would. Optimum has been consistently disappointing. A few weeks ago a storm cause the electric to go out, which caused our Wifi to go out with it. Firstly, we are in a pandemic and everything is online. We need our wifi. Both my sons have online classes, and my husband and I both work from home. All of this is done online. The first issue we ran into was when we made an appointment for it to be fixed and no one showed up that day. When we waited on the phone for several hours waiting to get into contact with someone, they had the wrong date. Second appointment, no one showed up again. According to Optimum, they came to our house, called our landline (which doesn't work because WE DON'T HAVE WIFI) and then when no one answered the phone, they left. Keep in mind no one in my family saw them outside of our house, so I believe this is likely a lie. Even if it isn't a lie, you would think they would have at least knocked on our front door before leaving, or would have known not to call the landline because again, WE DON'T HAVE WIFI. Third problem we ran into was that we scheduled a third appointment and they again did not show up. If we don't work, we don't get paid, and unfortunately we cannot work without WIFI. Terrible terrible service. Causing us a lot of stress and loss of money.

Jose Cruz

I'm happy with my service, pricing and reliability. Whenever I've had the need to contact customer service they have been available quickly and proved to be helpful.

Lisa Campbell Piscataway, NJ

I absolutely hate this company. They have the WORST customer service and terrible internet service. It's unfortunately the only provider in my area or I would switch in a heartbeat. I will definitely be moving into another area in the future that I have an option for any other provider besides optimum - this is how much I despise them .. service provider will have a huge impact on where I move to next! The internet service has always sucked and still does. I upgraded from 200mbps to 300mbps thinking that would help solve the issue. Well, it did not and I have proof of speed tests to show I wasn't even receiving over 100mbps when I was paying for 300mbps!! This happened in August-October 2019 and I have called Optimum 5-10 times since then to be credited on my account. Each time I call, I am told that the customer service rep cannot credit my account and I'll have to receive a call back from a "supervisor." I have NEVER received a call from a "supervisor" even though I have called numerous times to speak to one. Pretty sure they do not have any supervisors and if they do, they should be ashamed of themselves for this terrible customer service. I tried online chat and the rep immediately ended our conversation after my complaint. I also tried to submit credit through online service and it was immediately denied. I am going to go through my credit card next and dispute the charge for a partial credit that I DESERVE since I was paying for a service I was not receiving. If you have the option to have ANY OTHER service provider for phone, internet or cable, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and choose literally ANY other company. I hope this company goes out of business SOON. The reviews speak for themselves and this awful company should be ashamed of themselves for the fact that they have a terrible rating.

Mirna JC The Bronx, NY

Avoid this company like the plague! Probably the worst and most dysfunctional customer service I've ever encountered in my life. We went to return the equipment last month after we disconnected our service. The line was so long, it started about 10 yards on the sidewalk outside the store. We stood in the cold for one and a half hours, just to return the equipment! They promised to refund us within 10 days for the returned equipment. It's been a month now, and no refund yet! And don't even bother calling customer service. We called them 3 times already, and all they do is tell you more lies and give you more empty promises. We're considering filing a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau and State Consumer Protection Agency to expose the scam and rip-off this company is engaging in. DON'T BUY OPTIMUM!!!

Ndeye Aissatou Ndiaye Brooklyn, NY

I had Spectrum before , used my own modem and router for just internet service and I never had an issue. I moved to Brooklyn , NY into a building where Optimum is the only internet provider, well I did not have any other choices than going with them for internet service for the same amount of money and speed I had with Spectrum. Let me tell you guys: - They want their customers to exclusively use their equipment ( rent their modem...), thus they will sabotage your internet service every now and then and blame your own equipment for their failure. - Every time I call their customer service, they will tell me that they cannot troubleshoot an equipment that is not there, I have to rent the optimun modem and if I insist that my modem does not have a problem, they will try to convince me to have a technician come to my place to check the issue but it will be at my own pocket $200.00 for the visit. I directly connected my laptop to my modem using the Ethernet and still not internet. I told their rep that I never had these types of issues when I was with Spectrum , it is only with them every now and them, after I say that, the rep will do something on their end and my internet will magically start to work again. My boyfriend switched his internet from Verizon Fios to Optimum just to get the Amazon gift card, now he regrets it as his internet is slow and very spotty for streaming. I wish I have the choice to switch to Spectrum or Verizon because OPTIMUM is not good at all.

Jen Long Beach, NY

So apparently not being able to send emails and having an upload speed of 0 is acceptable? I have been having problems with my internet service for over a month and all they did was credit my account $8. I had a total of 6 technician appointments. 2 of those were total no shows, no call, nothing. 4 of those were technicians who couldn't solve the problem. I work from home so not having the ability to send emails is completely unacceptable. The amount of disrespect that I've received from them is ridiculous. When I went to cancel my services, the woman said I can offer you a $100 credit- $50 on your bill this month and $50 on your bill next month. She said that an $8 credit was insulting. Funny how when you go to cancel your services they then want to make it right. Ended up denying the credit because the last thing I want to do is be an optimum customer.

Tuan Huynh The Bronx, NY

The only reason I am with them is because they are the sole provider in my area. Sales rep and technician gave contradicting information & forced me to pay more due to technicalities. Technician says my personal modem was not compatible, ended up being a lie and I had to pay for installation fee anyways, even though I had to set up my own modem afterwards. Then I was forced to spend an entire Saturday waiting in line to return their modem in store. Everyone in the store was upset at their service like I was. Reps were sitting behind bullet proof glass as if customers were prisoners trying to revolt. Called customer service to report and have been given the run around for 2 weeks now. Customer service did not want to deal with this issue of me being lied to and charged for something I did not need. I have been constantly told that their "supervisor will you give a call back"

Niko Rivera Elizabeth, NJ

OPTIMUM IS A SCAM! All they ever do is play with your service even if your connection strength is strong and usage is minimal! I cut my service off for this reason and they ended up calling me back after about 2 or 3 weeks offering me a deal that is NOT offered to the public. As i was fed up with them but this was a very strong attempt of customer service i accepted their offer which was 200mbps for $40 a month, including the $10 discount for having my own modem. Guess what when the technician came to set it up he told me with the new higher speed my modem wasn't good enough so i had to buy another one from optimum's arris website! I went ahead and did that. For months on end i had no issues whatsoever, 200mbps for just me, one person alone. All of a sudden the internet connection gets faulty after months of no problem! I called them and told them i'm done playing games either they will stop messing around with my connection or i will cancel and they decided to try giving me the run-arounds of "trouble-shooting" anyway and even had the audacity to attempt to set up a service call for $80 which would only be waived if the their technician came and decided the problem came from their end. I don't know WHO they thought they were fooling with that one. I'm sure other people have gotten those under the table deals that aren't offered to the public and if not, feel free to try it. Cut off your service and make it clear that 1] your fed up with their games and 2] you are dead serious you want nothing to do with them and will be boycotting them and letting other people know about the games they play with your money/service.

Kishia marquez Hendersonville, NC

Great company thanks 😊 keep up the great work

Dino Tozzi Danbury, CT

Optimum is without a doubt the worst service provider in terms of product and customer service. Appalling, disgraceful, despicable. Never sign up with this company.

Rob Taormina Smithtown, NY

By far the worse customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. Never...NEVER...use them. Not to mention their actual internet service is completely unreliable.

Nicole Goodman Port Jefferson Station, NY

If I could give them less I would! Horrible on every level. My bill has been a different amount every month. They forced higher prices on me for less service after a move. Nobody follows up when they say they will. Only offered me a "reasonable" price if I enrolled in autopay. RUN, don't walk to any other company!!

Cory Francis Cassville, NJ

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! They delivered a router with a faulty power cord. Which only works if you position it in a perfect position and if you touch it it turns off. Called 4 times to finally be able to schedule an appointment which they never showed up. Then was told rudely they couldn't do anything. Now I have to disconnect the router, which we are all using to work from home, to go get a new cord. Very unhappy with the services or customer service. Worst customer service I have ever dealt with and gives you crappy "new" equipment. Don't use them!

Linda

My experience has been nightmarish. Beginning with having a billing dispute over terminated service because I had a house fire and wasn't living in my home for four months & was continued being charged for service. To have that take me over 8 months and hundreds of hours to settle. One year later they raised my rate over 20%, just as the pandemic went into full swing. It Just took me over 2 hours to get my service canceled. In short, their customer service is horrendous.

Ed Brooklyn, NY

The agents very rude and unreachable! Always this company try to screw you with price of service, they change the price without anounce it. The service with every year worse and worse . They can disconect you from the service for day or week without any reason. The technical support very UNPROFESSIONAL. I think that they don't have any sertification. I was customer of Optimum for years, but not any more! I with verizon now and I'm very happy, I pay $72 for 1Tb. Great!

Courtney Jean Maurice Mastic Beach, NY

They charge way too much for a simple basic internet service. The service itself is consistently slow and most of the time I don't even bother connecting my phone to it. Luckily I have an unlimited data plan with tmobile and I'm able to use the internet when I can't connect. It has been 4 days now without internet and I have been on hold for over 45 minutes as we speak. Absolutely terrible service but unfortunately they are the only option where we live. They should be embarrassed as their lack of customer service skills, their slow service, and their horrendous prices.

Alexander Hewitt, NJ

Optimum has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. It took over 5 days to get in touch with a person to install internet and then the next available appointment was in 4 more days. This is unacceptable. When called each time there is a hold for over an hour or the system automatically disconnects due to "an unusually high call volume". Optimum clearly does not care about their customers just the bottom line and is clearly only still in business because they do not have any major competitors in the market.

Cynthia Pedro Matawan, NJ

Because of the monopoly Optimum has in my community, I remain stuck with their terrible service. The internet connection is sporadic and their fastest speed is underwhelming especially given How much extra they charge for such underwhelment. Their customer service reps are trained to be as infuriating as possible. If you have choice of a provider, do yourself a favor and choose another service, ANY other service must be better than Optimum!

Jason Pompton Plains, NJ

Beware of all the extra fees, they nickel and dime you where ever they can. In the last year they increased the cable box fee, added a modem fee, increased the modem fee, and added a late fee now. If you are one day past the due date you will get a late fee for service you have yet to receive as you are paying for the upcoming month. This is of course only in the last year. I am currently paying $75 a month for their slowest internet speed.