HughesNet Logo

HughesNet

3.8

LAST UPDATED: May 16th, 2022

HughesNet is an internet service provider committed to making its customers' internet experiences the best for more than 40 years. This long history of service has made HughesNet the largest satellite internet network in the country.

HughesNet internet offers download speeds up to 25 Mbps from a satellite network. It focuses on residential internet services.

HughesNet has a great reputation for customer service and has a high rate of customer retention. This reputation helps HughesNet stand out among their competition within the industry.

As a satellite internet provider, HughesNet is often contrasted with its competitor, Viasat (formerly known as Exede Internet).

View Customer HughesNet Reviews

The Good

• Satellite Network
  • Plan Options and Pricing
  • Nationwide Availability
  • Bonus Data

Satellite Network

The technology delivering high-speed internet plans is constantly improving. Consumers can choose several options from their internet providers, such as dial-up service, DSL, cable internet, and fiber-optic broadband.

HughesNet internet has introduced a new type of network using satellite technology. The HughesNet satellite is more than 22,000 miles in space and will receive a signal from the customer's computer.

However, some customers complain that satellite internet service has room for improvement, and they struggle to get a signal. Being at the forefront of internet evolution comes with the risk of service issues, so make sure that satellite internet is the best option for you.

Plan Options and Pricing

HughesNet has one consistent speed across all of its plans: 25 Mbps. The actual speed experienced may vary depending on other external factors. The rates vary based on how much monthly data is included and your area:

• 10 GB – $49.99
  • 20 GB – $59.99
  • 30 GB – $89.99
  • 50 GB – $139.99

However, these rates don't include equipment, which customers pay a monthly fee to lease.

Nationwide Availability

Most broadband ISPs are smaller companies that offer their networks to a focalized region. They generally operate in a few states or in metropolitan areas. Few companies offer widespread service.

HughesNet's satellite service spans the entire country. No matter where you live, you can always access the network. This is a benefit for customers who may move often because they can be confident that their internet will travel with them.

Bonus Data

HughesNet has restrictive data caps, but the good news is customers have access to a bonus 50 GB of data per month when accessed between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. If you plan on surfing late in the evening or early in the morning, this could be beneficial.

The Bad

• Limited Internet Packages
  • Long Contract
  • Slower Speeds
  • Data Allowance
  • Equipment Purchase or Lease

Limited Internet Packages

Most ISPs offer their customers a large selection of internet plans. These packages have a variety of data speeds and features.

This is not the case for any HughesNet plan. They offer limited service plans depending on your area. Pricing also varies depending on your zip code and the data allowance you choose.

If you want to cancel your service contract with HughesNet after installation, expect a termination fee. You will have to return the equipment by mail.

Long Contract

HughesNet's internet service requires a two-year contract, as do some of its competitors in the satellite internet industry. If you want to test how it compares to other broadband internet providers, you'll be locked into a contract for years unless you would like to pay an early termination fee.

However, HughesNet guarantees its price for 12 months, which could be appealing for those who are wary of the notorious price hikes with many service plans.

If you're seeking a month-to-month contract, HughesNet isn't for you.

Slower Speeds

HughesNet's broadband speed is very slow in the industry. Some companies have higher speeds closer to 1 Gbps, but more commonly, the competitive speeds are lower: 75-300 Mbps. HughesNet only offers its customers 25 Mbps. This may be a deterrent if you need a higher download speed.

The upload speeds with HughesNet are not easy to find on their website. This is one of the most frequent customer complaints, and many say they switched from HughesNet to a high-speed internet plan.

The high latency of satellite internet has many users complaining that they struggle to get a signal to their devices. Others say that when they run a speed test they receive a slow speed much lower than their advertised plan. Your devices communicate with the satellite service with a brief half-second delay that makes real-time online gaming impossible.

If you are looking for faster speeds, you may need to look elsewhere.

Data Allowance

HughesNet's data cap could be another downside for potential customers. Other internet service providers also set a data limit for their customers in order to better control their network speeds, but these companies normally don't have limits that are set so low. Some companies provide their customers with unlimited data.

HughesNet's data caps are between 10-50 GB, which limits their customers significantly. However, once you use your data allowance, you can still stay connected at a slower speed free of additional charge. HughesNet only slows down data until the next billing cycle.

HughesNet also has data saver technology that moderates the amount of data used when streaming videos so that your data lasts for a longer period of time.

Equipment Purchase or Lease

If you choose one of HughesNet's internet plans, you can pay upfront to purchase the HughesNet gateway modem, which comes with built in Wi-Fi. Otherwise, you'll have to lease the modem for a monthly fee. The modem is required for HughesNet service. Customers living in rural areas might decide the modem is worth the upfront money.

When initially starting an internet service contract with HughesNet, customers will schedule a technician to install the equipment. Some deals include free installation. Others may charge an installation fee.

The Bottom Line

HughesNet uses broadband satellite to bring its customers a connection. Its satellite network creates a pathway between the customer's computer and the HughesNet servers through a satellite that is thousands of miles up in space.

The speeds currently available through this network are very slow at only 25 Mbps. While this is low compared to high-speed internet, it is much faster than dial-up and may be your best option in a rural area.

Consumers interested in high speed may want to consider other internet options if available in their area, like cable or fiber-optic internet.

HughesNet service options also have little variety. HughesNet would be a good option for customers who live in remote locations, want a reliable connection, and don't mind slower internet speeds.

Call our recommended rep over at HughesNet below.

1.4

Tara Mesa, AZ

I am pretty unhappy with the kind of customer support I have received so far as a new customer. I emailed a few weeks ago- this process to get satellite internet has been confusing since I am coming from cable. First, the enrollment team could not fully explain to me what the best plan I should get with what I needed and they told me I could easily change the plan if needed. I came from out of state for the installation and the initial technician assigned to install the satellite did not show up and was unprofessional, I ended up having to take another unplanned 2 days off of work to stay and wait for another installer. I then left and came back to test the internet- I found out having my other devices on while on the internet caused issues so I emailed to see if I could get the next plan up at the new customer rate since I was literally a brand new customer. Then the Jemez Springs fire started and we were evacuated and dealing with that. 3 weeks later I called and talked to a rep named Howard and he didn't even try to assist me with what I was asking. I asked to either speak to a manager or at least have him ask he huffed and puffed and then said ok I will send you to a manager. 15 min later waiting on hold the phone hung up on me. I can't believe this is the service I am getting. I will most likely look for a new internet company as soon as I can. Awful service!

StarlightRemix North Wilkesboro, NC

This was the worst service I’ve ever had the displeasure of coming across. They’re the only service in my area, they offer their minimum package here at 70USD/m and it always left me in awe how the data was gone within hours of monthly renewal as the speeds are less than a dial up connection most of the time. I’d call, they’d give me 1000 excuses, 6 months into the two year contract, contacted the BBB to help me get rid of the contract and that worked. Just in case any of you are still stuck with such a worthless waste of money, sincerely reach out to the BBB, tell them you want your contract voided, they will give you a hand.

Melony Snyder Wharton, TX

Terrible service. Charge for EVERYTHING! High fees to cancel, charge for equipment pick up after you cancel because they hire 3rd party people. If you don't want to pay the $100 for the tech or the $300 for the equipment no-return fee, you have to climb on the roof to take it all down yourself. I am a disabled vet, live a lone with 3 young kids and they STILL expected me to do it! After explaining I couldn't do it, they agreed to lower it to $50! Shouldn't be a charge at all after dealing with such bad service!

PATRICK BRUNNER FL

THE LOW DATA RATE IS ONLY PART OF THEIR POOR SERVICE. PING TIME (DELAY) IS NEVER MENTIONED. MINE WAS 600MS TO 2000MS (2 SECONDS). MAKES THEIR VOIP A JOKE (TALKING OVER EACH OTHER) AND THUS USELESS. IT ALSO MAKES SEARCHING RETAIL SIGHTS FOR A PRODUCT A REAL PAIN. WAIT A SECOND BETWEEN EACH MOUSE CLICK?? MOVIES ARE BAD WITH A BUFFERING EVERY MINUTE OR TWO SO IT IS NO LONGER A PLEASURE TO WATCH A MOVIE. THE LOW DATA CAPS AND SLOWER FALLBACK SPEEDS WERE BARELY ACCEPTABLE IN MY CASE, BUT NOT THE EXTREMELY LONG PING TIMES. AFTER 9 MONTHS I GAVE UP AND WENT TO CELLULAR ISP, 10 Mbps TO 20 Mbps @ $80/ MO. MUCH BETTER, NO WEATHER FADE OR SUN BLINDING. HUGHES WENT FROM ~$75 TO $115 FOR MY CRAPPY SERVICE. CELLULAR IS $80. THE $495 CANCELLATION FEE I THOUGHT OF AS ROBBERY. SO GLAD THEY ARE GONE. NEVER AGAIN.

Aron Hower IL

Every since I had hughesnet installed its been crap. The first several months I attempted to call them and complain about the speed. Multiple times they attempted to fix the issue. They said that I was receiving 30 to 50 mps at the satellite but only getting 500 to 750 kbps was normal. I asked to get a new modem/router and they would not send me a new one. Being wired in did not help the speeds either. We eneded up using our phone hotspots for the longest time while wasting well over $100 a month for the service. Finally called to cancel the service and they wouldn't budge on the $280 early term fee, even though they can't solve their own internet problems and uphold their end of the agreement they still expect you to uphold your end. It's completely worthless, I will never suggest this company to anyone

Debbie South Bend, IN

I always had slow internet service, videos were always slow or impossible to download. Went to terminate my service and was advised that I would be receiving a box and need to return all items or I could be charged up to $300. I asked the customer service rep what were all the items I needed to return. He told me I needed to return the mode, power cable and transmitter. I asked where the transmitter would be located. He told me it would be on the satellite. I advised that the satellite was on my roof (in which I told them I did not want it up there in the first place). I asked if I had to get on a ladder and remove it. He said yes or we can send someone out for $100. The customer service became really rude so I finished up my conversation as quickly as I could. PLEASE read all the fine prints as you will not be told everything up front. I will now steer everyone I know away from HughesNet.

Jessica Jones LA

If i could give hughesnet negative starts i would. We cancelled our service. We’re told they were sending us a box to return the equipment in to our current address. Which was given to them twice. They never put the address in our account and sent the box to the correct account. After waiting and waiting for the box to come that never came and amount of $321 was taken out of our account and was not returned until i put a dispute in with our bank. After we got them money back through our bank they took the money out again. And still will not return the money until the equipment is returned even though they can not send the box to the correct address after they have been given it 3 times now.

nissan leaf Phoenix, AZ

DO NOT get contract with Hues net DO NOT sign a contract with hues net. They put you in a two year contract for a reason. The service sucks and it will be your fault,your area and you won't be able to cancel service. DON'T Sign the contract. Tell hues net you want service but no contact. You will regret it. Im stuck with 18 months of service due to signing a contract. Don't get a contract. Think about it why are they putting you on a contract so you cancel crappy service they still get paid.

Lola. Jean Bago Orlando, FL

I know that they have the worst network there is. From day one I can not even watch a show on tv for it keeps on trying to catch up the little wheel keeps on turn every 1/2 mins . They do it so up have to up grade. I wound not recommend them to anyone. They suck and I’m turning it off why would anyone want to pay for this bs. Then if you cancel early they expect you to pay it anyway well I got new for them I’m not going to pay them any money why I should I you can’t use there service so why do they expect you to do . they suck bad

Bill D Mechanicsburg, PA

I can't imagine how anyone, anywhere who has had this provider would give it 5 stars. I gave this one star only because there is no lower rating available here. The service is horrible, the internet is deathly slow (when it works), the data caps are a throwback to the 90s, and the fees to cancel the contract are absolutely criminal. And now, since Starlink is widely available, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to consider signing up for this abysmal internet service.

Chara Meyer Minneapolis, MN

My husband and I were recommended to go to Hughes net when we moved to our new home, and the internet service was absolutely terrible for the top notch package. Our streaming services took forever to load, and when they did, the video/ live stream would glitch and not catch up. The gigs we got from Hughes were not worth the price each month for how often we need to use our internet. We now are paying $100 LESS for faster internet service and unlimited gigs/ data with Specturm.

Mark Rein

Can I give Hughesnet a 0? I purchased Hughesnet business 2.5 years ago- they made promises about data that I thought would suit my in home/on farm business. The data was always slow but usable SOME days. Streaming and meetings were always buffering, buffering, buffering. At about 430 PM everyday (all day on weekends), it was unusable. When I brought this up, they told me reality isn't real and my speeds were great. But I am one of those "The emperor is NOT wearing any clothes!" Kind of guys, and refused to play along, which disappointed the many clerks I had to go through to cancel the scam. I have never paid so much for so little. I was happy to jump ship when Starlink (which is awesome so far) became available. I'm happily back in the 21st Century.

Dennis Boswell San Antonio, TX

First of all there's no 0 Star rating. This is the worst Internet Service Provider of all times. Started out paying 44.95 a month to 159.00 a month with unlimited data. Not to mention the 2 yr. contact so we could upgrade to the best of the best. We have called just about every day for 4months; just for them to tell us to upgrade from 25 mbps to 75 mbps and best time to stream is from 2:00 am to 8:00am. It's always the weather is bad in Montana; but wait I live in Texas.. Not to mention the satalite is thousand of miles in the sky. It's always some kind of excuse. Nothing we've done help with the connection. Whatever you do stay as far away from Hughesnet. They just tell you what they think you want to hear just to pacify you after 1-1/2 hrs going threw the same old routine.

Cindy bless Gilmer, TX

This is the worst internet company that we have ever used my mother is a senior citizen and she needs internet to do certain things in her home and their rates are high you call all the time to get someone to come out and check it they never come out and buy her being a elder it is very hard for her to talk to someone I am very unsatisfied I have shared this with all of the neighbors and they have dropped them and I am looking forward for my mother to drop them as well the internet service is not good it does not run it it's always buffing and when you call this poor excuse of customer service wants to give you a run around and charge you for somebody coming out to look at it we have called DirecTV and we have also told them that the whole neighborhood wants to drop them and so they are looking into it as well I am getting on all social media to let them know that who's Hughes net is not what we need it is a rip off.... 😡 It is very sad how y'all do the elder people

Matt Toombs

There's only tons of one star reviews because there is no option for zero stars. I don't get caught up with all the advertised numbers for speed and all that but all I know is I was told I could run 3 to 4 streaming devices at once. HA! I've never watched an entire show without buffering and half the time anything is unwatchable. Even with all my streaming services set to the lowest quality and all devices wifi turned off but the one being used. Can't even load web pages on my phone half the time. Forget trying to use YouTube or actually download something. Not to mention paying around 100 dollars a month just to have somewhat of a reasonable data cap. With seemingly thousands of people experiencing the same problem why is ok for them to tell people it will be a much better internet service than it actually is? You can't tell me they aren't aware of people's frustrations and they're still selling a misleading product that will not live up to the expectations they give to people. Seems like they just lie and get you locked in to either be stuck with it or pay the ridiculous disconnect fee (which I will happily do at this point). I realize those of us who live in the country have very limited options right now and Hughesnet seems to be a necessary evil for some to get any type of internet to their rural home. But, my main point is, why can't they just be honest and tell people what they are actually getting in to. A limited internet service that may or may not work as expected and probably won't be great for those who were hoping to stream video on 3 to 4 devices. Like most of us these days want to do and what they initially tell us we will be able to do. Just be honest Hughesnet. People with no other options will still sign on but would be much happier with receiving a product that is actually "as advertised'. Oh .. and don't get me started on their broken English customer service. Bottom line, if you have other options go with anything other than these guys. If you don't have other options, just know you're signing up for crappy internet. Like, may as well be dial up the majority of the time

Jack Long Kingman, AZ

We had Hughesnet for 4 months. We constantly ran out of data because it was always uploading. We got to stream a total 2 movies the entire time. My dad does Ancestry so he would only be allowed 1/2 the month then it would shut off again for $110 dollars a month you should receive something of quality. STEER CLEAR OF HUGHESNET!!!!

Catherine Schoch MI

They LIE. we got Hughes net along with Dish tv with a 2 year contract. Hughesnet just raised our payment..we were suppose to locked in with the rate of $60.88...they raised it to $85. 88. Our hughesnet app says we get the discount till 10/23/2023...they won't listen. DO NOT GET HUGHESNET..YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!

Lisa Perry Tuba City, AZ

No stars. We totally agree. Huges Net sucks! So slow as to be a total frustration to even be online. We are now stuck with their crappy service as you have to do a 2 year contract. So we have to pay them AND a good internet compay. Don't do it!!!!

Hoyt Bryson City, NC

Oh what a rip off. This thing is as slow as pouring syrup out of a bucket. These people could not straighten out an earth worm. No one and I mean no one can figure out what language they are speaking. I just cut them loose and had to pay out the a**. Tomorrow I will be installing StarLink and I hope Elon Musk puts them out of business. They darn sure deserve it. Wish there was a big fat zero on the ratings.

Tim Epperson Spotsylvania, VA

The biggest joke i have dealt with in a long time. Slow does not describe the service, it's a gamble as to what service will be like on any given day. Customer service is so frustrating to deal with, you go through the same thing every time, someone speaking broken english that you can barely understand telling you to unplug this and restart that and then they claim to have boosted something from their end which lasts a couple of days and then back to not even being able to open a lousy email. They sent out a tech who replaced my radio receiver and my modem after they said that my equipment was outdated and just like i figured nothing has changed. All they want to do is upgrade me to gen 5 and lock me into another 2 year contract. I have 3 weeks to wait for my local phone co to set me up with their unreliable slow internet but at half the cost and no data limit i welcome the change and can't wait to cancel my credit card that they bill and call them to tell them to get Fed

Tracie Lee Elizabeth City, NC

IF I COULD RATE THIS COMPANY AS A 0 I WOULD. FIRST THEY LIED TO ME JUST TO GET A SALE THEY TOLD ME I WOULD BE ABLE TO STREAM 4 OR MORE DEVICES VIA TV, PHONE, COMPUTER FOR WORK FROM HOME AND SCHOOL FROM HOME AS WELL AS STREAM MUSIC AND TV MY INITIAL PRICE WAS $64 A YEAR AGO AND ABOUT THE 13TH OF THE MONTH MY SPEED STARTED TO SLOW DOWN TREMENDOUSLY MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK OR DO SCHOOL FROM HOME MUCH LESS WATCH TV WITHOUT CONSTANT BUFFERING. THEY OFFERED DISCOUNTS BUT CAN NEVER SEEM TO GET MY BILL CORRECT WHICH IS AUTO DEDUCTED FROM MY CHECKING ACCOUNT. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AWFUL I SPEND 45 MINUTES PLUS ON PHONE EACH TIME JUST TRYING TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR AND I AM SO BEYOND OVER IT!!! I BELIEVE IN GIVING PEOPLE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO RIGHT BUT THIS COMPANY IS THE WORST!! THEY LIE JUST TO TRAP YOU TO GET THE SALE THEN THEY JUST AUTODRAFT YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT WHATEVER THEY WANT TO.

Lion Heart

Well mabe is not better than land lines internet but solved wene no other internet can. true real time gaming is not posible and apps like zoom work halfway due to distance info travel just over the air to reach the sat but some jobs can be done from home as long is not operator or meetings .i m able to strem 4 tv at same time obvious wene data cap reach 1 or 2 tv is not as bad as people say here i belive this is a hate campain i saw comercial on tv the never say best internet they say best satellite internet so they specific betwin sats competitor they know sat conectios are no better than land conection but that is about to change in next 5 years or less

Edgar

A 1 star because 0 is not an option. Been with Hughesnet for 6 yrs because I have no other option. It is comparable to using a scooter on the interstate. Quit telling people they can have high speed internet anywhere, so more people can be aware of the issues that rural areas experience.

DL Hock Tarboro, NC

HughesNet sucks so bad. I don't know how I was able to stick it out for 2 whole years of awful awful service. If you choose this company I guarantee you will regret it...everyday. Netflix buffers and I cant even watch more than 5 minutes of Hulu at a time. RIDICULOUS.

Lalana Powell Lexington, KY

Terrible, expensive, very slow speed (less than 5 most of the time. Every time a technician was called, we'd be on the phone for 30 minutes plus to get us up to just under 10 if we were lucky. The next day, it would be back to 2 again. When I called to cancel, they assured they could get it faster and even offered to cut the price in half. Not having it! They are the worst!

Michael Fowler Northwood, ND

Awful. If you have ANY other option, go with it. Expensive, slow, continuous hidden charges that weren’t agreed upon, automated and scripted customer service. Every time I called with a complaint (which was far too often) their responses were completely scripted which would leave me even more frustrated. Ran out of data every month after less than a week. Since the beginning of our service we only streamed on one tv because of this and it still would be gone. Less than a week for $100/month. Garbage. -Upset past customer

Cary Moran Chicago, IL

Worst internet I have ever had. Dial up was more reliable. Every time you call customer service they placate you but NEVER solve the issue. They sent a tech out one time. Charged us. And he was supposed to return but never did. We have been paying nearly $100/most for service we can barely use. We use the data on our phones because we cannot access our internet. Do not waste any money on this company. They should be taken down for false advertising.

Brandy Bauska Seattle, WA

If I could give a 0 for this review I would. It is the ABSOLUTE WORST SERVICE EVER! They charge you $109 f9r 75 gigs that last about 4 days! Their web site hasn't worked in 2 months and the $100 rebate is a lie. I never received it and they claimed it was because their web site wasn't working. Now I'm roped into a 2 year contract that the customer service agents refuse to let me out of. They talk in circles when I call them or just hang up on me. I HATE HUGHSNET!!! DO NOT GET THIS SATELLITE. GO WITH ANY OTHER NETWORK

carlos castaneda Meridian, ID

If I could give them less stars I would. Terrible experience from the start they got my email wrong so I never got the contract in writing. they never quoted me if I could buy the equipment versus leased the equipment and they were not clear of the termination costs. I was completely unhappy with the service. And they stated that my router was at fault. The service never met my expectations I wasn’t able to download without buffering or took very long time to download any data. My advice, do not ever use this service. There are many others available and new ones coming like Starlink.

Leo Henderson Auburn, IL

Put up with lousy service for the 2 years and cancelled after much hassle. Person needed a lot of reasons for me cancelling. Told me I hadn’t called complaining in over a year. Complain to who and why? They couldn’t straighten out anything before. Waiting on return box but have their ability to get any money from me cut off. Wife said she’d return equipment because I was going to put it in recycle. Putin must own. Pond scum.

matt Fort Worth, TX

It never did work. I canceled a few days after i had it hooked up and just got a bill for $200. The customer service at HughesNet is the worst i've ever had from anyone. I don't mind paying for service that i have purchased if it works, yet it didn't. Think twice before using these guys. No internet sucks but paying for it and still not having it is worse.

gary mccarty Richmond, KY

First, no such thing as a free installation. Just assume its going to cost $250 or more. Then you have to deal with super slow speeds and horrible service. After our contract was up, we called and canceled service - but they kept billing our credit card! Had to cancel my credit card, then they turned our account over to a collection agency. Horrible company, awful people to deal with. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT SIGN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOHN Reynoldsville, PA

i've had hughesnet for a few years now because we don't have any cable company here . They are the worst , i can not watch anything over a few minutes without having to wait for it to load and i have there middle of the road package paying 90 bucks a month. comcast is going to install cable in our neigborhood this summer SOOO see ya later hughesnet , never again

Rick Walkuski Houston, TX

WORST of the bad. First of all ( their standard cliche ) These people will string you out to the next pay cycle. They LIE as to the credit they will give you in lieu of getting a product (non-existent ) Everyday for a month I called them about NOT getting any signal, the lack of service with no resolution. These BOZOS are totally incompetent, BEWARE.

michael wilson Macon, GA

First off I gave it 1 star because there isn't a negative rating . I live in the middle of nowhere and hughslownet is my only option. We have 2 tv's connected by ethernet cables and we can't run Netflix on both tv's at the same time with out buffering every 2-3 minutes , so we pull the cable we are not using and just use 1 and still have problems. Netflix checks the speed and sometimes it's only running at 0.5mbps . Oh and we pull the power to the router once a week for 30 minutes which doesn't help . Have called customer service multiple times with no help . Would not recommend to anyone with another wifi provider option.

Gregory Webb

HughesNet is a rip off don't waste your time and your money I was a customer for 2 years and the service was so bad I couldn't ever run one firestick I continued to call them and all they did was make promises to fix the problem but never did after 2 years I had had enough I canceled the service mail all equipment back on time and sent me a bill for early cancelation for services that I couldn't use they are by far the worst internet provider I have ever dealt with and I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy I'd rather sit in McDonald's parking lot and use theirs for free don't waste your time or your hard earned money you should put a negative symbol in front of your stars

Chris Paul Seattle, WA

DO NOT USE HUGHESNET!!! SLOW, DISGUSTING CUSTOMER SERVICE, SLOW INTERNET SPEEDS, NO HELP, NOTHING AS ADVERTISED. The installation should have been a red flag. The install person, dressed in dirty rags for clothes had a van that was a mess. When he got out of the van, pop and beer cans fell onto our driveway. He ran the cable over the top of our gravel driveway and left it like that. I had to dig a trench and bury it so we wouldn't be driving over it. The post for the ditch was no put in straight and looked terrible. The internet was super slow, internet speed testing showed speeds at under 1 Mbps, yes, like .45 and . 07. I work from home and couldn't deal with speeds that low. When I called customer service, (which was many times), they would make me do all of these checks that did no good for gaining more speed, at a cost of sometimes several hours. After calling many times about the issue, I got to know the routine as good as the hughesnet person. Customer service people are terrible to deal with. I was told once, "oh well, thats just the way it works for you", referring to my speed that day of .08 Mbps. When I went to cancel, I was put on hold for long periods of time and after an hour and 47 min. (I kept track of my calls to them), they hung up. Called again and then after another 1 hour and 39 min. I finally got them to cancel my account. But I got charged $300.00 early termination fee. This just happened and after reading some of these other reviews, I am going to call my credit card to make sure they can't make any more charges against it like they have for other people. The no-minded idiots that read from a prompt at customer service are very rude. Can't call it customer service because you get NO service. I am sure it's because they are overrun with tons of calls from disgruntled customers with slow internet all day. I hope that after reading this review, people will think very carefully before they decide NOT to use this service, (I hate to even type the name of this service, the whole experience has left such a foul taste in my mouth). I feel like I have been robbed. That's right, robbed! Just like somebody coming into my home and stealing my hard earned money right in front of me.

Darla Larson Lake Havasu City, AZ

I am not a fan. I purchased there system on a payment plan. I didn’t under stand about the caps and slow speeds and best time to be on is while sleeping and getting ready go work. I called them up because it was super slow. They explained why. Told them how disappointed I was. So moving on. I did notice that they didn’t take out there payment for the next month. The following month got several text that I had multiple transactions bouncing. So because they didn’t take out there payment it gave them the right to take out full amount due on contract. So beware of this companies slummy billing practices.

Ethan Smith Livingston, TX

HughesNet was not what it seemed to be. Initially, the 25mbps seemed amazing, far better than any rate we could get locally! However, we quickly realized that 25 is just a number. My wife works from home and we told them that and were suggested to try the Business plan, so we did. About 4-7 days in and we hit our limit and went straight to 2mbs or lower (and even when the internet was "good" we still had extremely slow loading) We tried to work through it, because the cancellation fee was huge. We were able to get local internet at 10mbs for a cheaper monthly payment, that worked far better than the 25mbs of HughesNet. We may be out $600 from the cancellation fee, but at least we have good internet now.

Joshua Costello Chicago, IL

Would not recommend to my worst enemy! Hughes Net has consistently lied to us from the start. When we selected them they told us it would be fiber optic install. When we got to our house they had installed a satellite dish on the roof. My MIL signed the install paperwork as we moving from another state. Within hours of having their internet it was clear it was atrocious. We could not stream live television and my wife could not work from home both of which we were told could be done with great speed and no connection problems. Within three days we canceled their services.. to get our full refund for install and products we had to return the products to them. Fair enough, they told us they would be sending us a postage box so we wouldn’t have to pay for postage, no box has ever been received. Sent them our products out of our pockets which they apparently haven’t recieved(let’s be real they likely haven’t processed it because of their incompetence.) and they still refuse to refund us. Consistent lying from reps to get deals done and poor follow through on customer services end. Then I sit on hold for over an hour with a “supervisor” who tells me I’m being unprofessional for simply asking for an update and get hung up on. How in gods green earth are you still operating? Kicker in all this is they are refusing to refund us because of their agreement which should be voided after multiple recorded phone conversations and damaging our roof with the install and uninstall of their trash services..

Andrew Sandy, UT

I have been stuck with hughesnet for almost 10 years. It has been nothing but a pain in the butt and my wallet. you will never see speeds of their claimed 25mb its more like 1-5mb and after you go over your 50gb allowance that costs $130 you are lucky to get enough of a connection to load google. Their customer service is completely worthless and will blame everything but their service for the slow speeds and sometimes even hang up on you. Even cancelling my hughesnet was a huge pain because they kept trying to talk me out of it and wouldn't just do what I wanted. oh yeah and additional data is $3 PER GB

Megum Povsha Bozeman, MT

The service is reliable and the price is better than a few of the other companies that I have previously had service with in the past. Their data speeds are amazing for my location. And the service representative I spoke with was super friendly and so was the installation guy.

Sandra Catherwood Dallas, TX

I think this is the worst service and they have the worst customer service I've had to deal with. My dad is 65 and in and in a wheelchair and they demanded that he get up on the roof and remove the dish himself. That's not going to happen! I was speaking with one of the customer service reps who could barely speak where I could understand them and they had the worst attitude. I asked multiple times to speak with a supervisor or manager and he continued to tell me that he can dispatch someone but at a fee to my dad. Again, nit going to happen. I demanded that he GET ME A SUPERVISOR and he finally did after telling me they'd tell me the same thing. He argued with me for 15 minutes about getting a supervisor, absolutely unprofessional and acceptable! As a General Manager for Hilton Hotels I understand the severity of good customer service, they definitely need to retrain their staff on how to assist a customer! The supervisor did finally waive the fee to have their technician come remove their equipment after 30 minutes more of telling him my dad was in a wheelchair and would not be able to climb on the roof! Thank God that Att can now provide service in the Talty/Terrill area now.

Tammo Rancho Cucamonga, CA

HughesNet internet service is GREAT, compared to the DSL I had. It works exactly as advertised. The installation was done as scheduled, done professionally and looks very neat. As for the speed, I couldn't be happier. I get between 18 and 21 MBPS. My DSL only provided 0 .8 - 0.9 MBPS, yes, that was less than one MBPS. I am simply too far from the phone company's Relay Building. So, for my situation, HughesNet is a good answer. I understand that as of this writing (2/8/19) they were still having some technical issue with the Usage Meter application. One consideration for those reading negative reviews where the reviewer is unhappy with the speed. When you go to some website to let's say download a video or other large file, you may think that is no where near 20 MBPS. The webpage or file download is also very dependent on the server that provides the data. If the server is undersized or very busy because of man, many users on it at the same time, that will show up in your download time. That is not your ISP's (like HughesNet) fault. To check the speed, use a speed testing app that is free to use.

Antonio Hickman Chester, PA

RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM THIS AS YOU CAN!!! THEY TELL YOU "YOU CAN RUN MULTIPLE DEVICES IN YOUR HOME, WITH LIVE STREAMING". BULL$--+!!!! IT CAN'T EVEN RUN MY CELL PHONE. IT SLOWS IT DOWN!!! YOU CAN WATCH MOVIES. IF YOU HAVE A WELL TO DO SO!!! IT BUFFERS MORE THAN A CAR WASH EMPLOYEE. DO NOT FALL FOR THE TRAP

Rose Kerr Canyon Country, CA

They mounted the dish in the middle of the roof which caused a leak. They also shut off our service at 8am on a Saturday and would not connect us unless we upgraded to the faster service...went with another provider and would not recommend HughesNet even if they try to say they are the only option!!!

Susie beasley Pittsboro, NC

The worst customer service they tell u anything for a sale l called on the 29th she said technician would be out 22nd no one showed up l called they didn't have me down to no appointment the worst company on the market 😠😡

Lory Adams Kennewick, WA

Zero stars. I sadly read the reviews after joining Hughes net. As I read thru the reviews I see one common thread. Everyone tells a different story about how Hughes applies the rules. I was told yesterday I would be refunded my cancelation fee that the company canceled, NOT me. Twice I was told this. Today they said they permanently closed my account and NO refund. I don't believe this company even follows it's own contract rules. BBB here I come.

Tim Rager Coldwater, MI

This company should not even be allowed to do business. The pricing insnt that good and the service is the worst I have ever experienced. I only had it for 2 weeks and the connection was so bad I decided to hard wire my smart t.v. and my desk top to the modem. After doing that it made it a little better but not worth the money I was paying. It still lost connection. So I called and cancelled my service and was charged a WHOPPING 400 DOLLAR DISCONNECT FEE!!! This after only 2 weeks of the worst service!! Do not use this company ever! So unhappy and feel ripped off!

JD Gray Nettleton, MS

Worst internet service possibly available, horrible signal that you pay way to much for! Then when you tell them you want your satellite on the ground they insist putting on your roof. When you cancel your service they expect you, no matter your age to get the eye off the roof and return it or they will charge you for it! Worthless company with Worthless service we could only use 3-4 a month. I WOULDNT RECOMMEND TO THE DEVIL TO GET THIS CRAP THEY CALL WIFI..