HughesNet is an internet service provider committed to making its customers' internet experiences the best for more than 40 years. This long history of service has made HughesNet the largest consumer broadband satellite internet network in the country.

HughesNet offers download speeds up to 25 Mbps from a satellite network. HughesNet also requires a two-year contract.

It focuses on residential internet services, which makes it an expert in that area of the industry.

HughesNet has a great reputation for customer service and is able to retain their customers for longer than many other companies. This reputation helps HughesNet to stand out among their competition within the industry.

View HughesNet Customer Reviews

#1 Comcast Xfinity Internet chevron_right
3.3
#2 CenturyLink chevron_right
2.5
#3 Cox Internet chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• Satellite Network
  • Plan Options and Pricing
  • Nationwide Availability

Satellite Network

The technology surrounding high speed internet service is continually evolving and improving. There are so many different options for networks and internet access such as dial-up internet service, DSL internet, cable internet, and fiber-optic broadband.

HughesNet has introduced a new type of internet network using satellite technology. There is a HughesNet satellite more than 22,000 miles in space that will receive a signal from the customer's computer. This new type of technology is an alternative that has many positive aspects. Customers of HughesNet will be in the forefront of the internet evolution and will enjoy the new perks of communications satellites.

Plan Options and Pricing

HughesNet has one consistent speed across all of its plans: 25 Mbps. The actual speed experienced may vary depending on other external factors. The monthly plan rates vary based on how much monthly data is included and your area.

• 10 GB -- $59.99
  • 20 GB -- $69.99
  • 30 GB -- $99.99
  • 50 GB -- $149.99

Each plan comes with a 24-month contract. There are additional costs for equipment, installation, and early termination fees. Some customers may be able to find promotional deals to reduce these costs.

Customers pay a monthly fee of $14.99 to lease equipment.

Nationwide Availability

Most broadband internet service providers are smaller companies that offer their internet networks to smaller areas. They generally focus on a few states or on metropolitan areas. There are very few companies who offer service to very large areas.

HughesNet's satellite service spans the entire country. No matter where the customer lives, they can always access the high-speed satellite internet network. This is a huge benefit for customers who may move often because they can be confident that their internet will travel with them no matter where they are.

The Bad

• Limited Internet Packages
  • Slow Speeds
  • Data Allowance

Limited Internet Packages

Most internet service providers offer their customers a large selection of internet plans. These packages have a variety of data speeds and features that are offered at a different per month cost. These large selections allow customers to really customize their internet experience and get exactly what they are looking for.

This is not the case for the HughesNet internet services. They offer limited service plans depending on your area. Pricing also varies depending on your zip code and the data allowance you choose.

Additionally, HughesNet customers must rent the equipment used for their internet service. This adds an additional $14.99 per month to any internet service plan. When initially starting internet service contract with HughesNet, their technicians will install the equipment. Some deals include free installation. Others may charge an installation fee.

If you wish to cancel your internet service contract with HughesNet after installation, there is a termination fee for early termination. You will have to return the equipment.

Slow Speeds

HughesNet's broadband speed is very slow in the industry. Some companies have higher speeds closer to 1 Gbps, but more commonly the competitive speeds are lower: 75-300 Mbps. HughesNet only offers its customers 25 Mbps. These slow download speeds may be a deterrent for many customers who need a higher download speed. The upload speeds with HughesNet are not easy to find on their website. This is one of the most frequent customer complaints, and many say they switched from HughesNet to a high-speed internet plan.

If you are looking for faster speeds, you may need to look elsewhere.

Data Allowance

Another downside for potential HughesNet customers is the data limits they set on their internet service and data plans. There are other internet service providers who also set data caps for their customers in order to better control their network speeds. But these companies normally do not have limits that are set so low. Some companies provide their customers with unlimited data.

Currently HugheNet's data caps are between 10-50 GB, which limits their customers significantly. However, once the plan data allowance is used, customers can still stay connected at slower data speeds. The data used by customers is only slowed down for the remaining days until the next billing cycle.

HughesNet also has data saver technology that moderates the amount of data used when streaming videos so that your data lasts for a longer period of time.

The Bottom Line

There are a lot of exciting changes that happen within the internet service industry. The technology surrounding internet networks is continually changing and improving which makes for variety among internet providers.

If you are considering satellite internet providers, HughesNet is a good choice.

HughesNet utilizes broadband satellite, one of these new technologies, to bring their customers a reliable, strong connection. Its satellite network creates a pathway between the customer's' computer and the HughesNet servers through a satellite that is thousands of miles up in space.

The speeds currently available through this network are very slow at only 25 Mbps for downloads. While this speed is slow compared to other high-speed internet, it is much faster than dial-up.

The cost per month is expensive for the speed offered. Other internet providers with different technology provide faster speeds at similar, and sometimes, lower costs.

Consumers interested in high speed may want to consider other internet options, like cable internet.

There is also very little variety within the HughesNet service options. HughesNet would be a good option for those customers who are choosing from high-speed satellite service providers, want a reliable connection, and don't mind slower internet speeds.

View Best Internet Service Providers

1.9

nicole grant
August 21st, 2019 Fellsmere, FL DETAILS

they lie to get you to hook service up then its not what you wanted then want to charge 400.00 disconnection fee don't get you will regret it trust me and all other people they did it to already

Mary E Messere
August 20th, 2019 Dunkirk, NY DETAILS

hughesnet never tells you that you have to climb up on your roof to retrieve the"radio" from their satellite dish or they charge you $200.00. When I told them that I was 70 years old with no one to climb up and get it their reply was...then it will cost you $125.00 for a technician to come and remove it. They said that I would have to be there form 3 hours and wait for the technician. i explained to them that i had moved to another town and that the house was empty. It didn't matter. Now i am going to be penalized $200.00!

Benita
August 16th, 2019 Kellyville, OK DETAILS

HughesNet is a horrible company to deal with. We live in the country and we were told we would have plenty of data and never run out between months. Well we were out st 3 days. We have tried to cancel with no fees for a year and no response. We have an internet service now that works 200 percent better. Company service is not a priority with this company. I will never recommend them to anyone as long as I live!

Vern
August 16th, 2019 Waconia, MN DETAILS

We have only been with them eight days but we found out their WiFi interferes with our phones, people report we are breaking up. When we receive a call I have to turn off WiFi in settings for the call to work. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with them and they know all about the problem, they have a fix, for $20 per month you can use their phone service. They offered all kinds of deals. I said i’d Like to cancel service they said there’s a $400 fee to cancel. I took their phone service but i’m Thinking I might have made a bad decision.

karl ashenbrenner
August 8th, 2019 Juneau, AK DETAILS

Having a remote cabin in Alaska we are stuck with using hughesnet, however when we are not at the cabin the generators are turned off as is the modem....now showing we used 8.8gb even though the cabin has been shut down for weeks. Hughesnet says it is on our end, HOW can that be when the generators and modem are all shut off???

Joe robb
August 1st, 2019 DETAILS

gentlemen, thanks for the unbelievably pitiful customer service. This whole situation borders on hilarity.Installation on feb 2 and as of the 19th-a total of 30 minutes working internet.I have spoken with 21 people in your organization from pakistan to south florida to louisiana and received only IM SORRY but in the end- no help.All I wanted was a working dish.Just a clear view of the southern sky and everything will be wonderful.What a joke.I have logged over 11 hours either on hold or hearing promises that were just lies from jason pranjali jennifer max pax ronnie alex after 8 days and 3 messages finally got a call from Russ chris haley another different Alex shawn john fonika(a funtional idiot) residio another different john barbarisha langley and in your advanced tech-a dude named thomas hoyt whom after being on hold for 20 minutes waiting for him to finish his coffee and donut was too much of a pussy to even speak with me-actully refused to talk! This is so outragous -you cant even make this stuff up! Ive cancelled the service yesterday and unbelievably today I received a bill on my credit card for a months service. Gentlemen ,get a grip on this situation or I'll be forced to involve the better buisiness beaurou(sp) all I wanted was internet service-service is apparently not in the hughesnet vocabulary. feel free to call-though I know you wont

Jesus Alfonso GONZALEZ
July 19th, 2019 Monroe, WA DETAILS

I only last it for two months with them, very slow, can not use more than 4 devices, including my alarm system in my home. after one day using Netflix, IT run out the entire 20GB they say. they told me it can handle 14 devises at the same time , belony. I decided to pay the $400.00 and dump them. I won't be surprise , that a class action against them is coming soon.

Max Breisse
July 17th, 2019 Katy, TX DETAILS

this company always looking for excuses to resolve your issues, they tide you up with a contract and they avoid to let you go at any cost, they don't care if you are not having the services you need. I regretted to sign with this company and I'm suffering from the service and paying the full bill. I don't recommend to anyone regardless of the offer to sign with them.

Frankie
June 24th, 2019 DETAILS

Expensive and data goes fast

justin
June 21st, 2019 Eight Mile, AL DETAILS

they have data limits, which i hate. feel like i have to monitor my viewing habits to make sure i don't exceed. They don't charge more , they slow down my MPS. the speed is not consistent.

T
June 21st, 2019 DETAILS

Performance is awful! I hardly use anything and I run out of time and get reduced. My internet phone does not work. does not work

Dale
June 18th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

My brother lives in Ohio. I ordered Hughes net for him to allow internet connection. After a year went by the trees on his property and the ones next door started to really grow mainly because of the rain. The Hughes net people called and said the signal was bad so they sent out a service person. They said they can reposition if but it will not last long because of the trees. My brother had DIRECTV and it went out because of the bad signal and he had to get rid of the Direct TV. Then we called Dish Network for TV and they said they could not get a strong signal. So, I ordered cable and got both TV and Internet. That meant I would no longer need Hughes net for Internet service. I called and talked to a person in the Philippines. They said I would have to pay $190 as a termination fee. I explained everything as I said above. I said the signal did not allow me to continue. He said he could waive $90 but I had to pay $100. I asked him to look up the property on Google and see that he is surrounded by trees. He did and agreed that was probably the problem but he could not help. My brother is 82 years old and I am 72. $100 is a lot of money for either my brother or me. It is a shame Hughes net treats senior citizens this way.

Lauren
June 18th, 2019 Marshfield, MO DETAILS

Hughesnet is the worst internet service provider. The are the most Stupid, incompetent idiots ever. It never works. And then when you call and complain, they act like you're the stupid one. Hey Hughesnet only an idiot wouldn't know where to find the search bar in google. If you like paying for internet that never works, then Hughesnet is perfect for you.

Taylor
June 10th, 2019 Brandon, MS DETAILS

Hughes net is horrible and It is super slow. I am 12 years old. I can't download my games and I can't even do my homework sometimes, it is truly not kids friendly. I do not recommend if you have kids.

Michael Willis
June 10th, 2019 West, TX DETAILS

Never worked well from day one. (I was told you can stream movies it works so well) laughable at best, this internet won’t even work Facebook. Then to top it off when you cancel you get disgusted with the cancellation fees! Do your self a favor and don’t ever use this company your better off making your phone a hotspot for $20.00 a month

Amanda
May 31st, 2019 Corinth, MS DETAILS

I tried HughesNet as a part of a package through Dish. As I was on the phone with HughesNet I let them know I was not sure it was sufficient enough for my family because of the speed and GB allotted each month. The sales person told me I could try it for 30 days and if I cancelled before 30 days was up it wouldn't be charged any kind of fees related to cancellation and that I would only be charged for the month of service we used and install. This was an outright lie! We received service on March the 16th. It was very slow and we used up the GB before the month was up. I called to cancel on April the 11th. They were trying to charge me $400 and told me to send back the equipment or pay for it. I argued that when I signed up I would not be charged any kind of cancellation fees. They told me after over an hour of disputing this while telling me they have no 30 day policy they would do me a "favor" and waive the $400 termination fee and equipment fee. They told me not to worry about sending back the equipment either and I would not be charged for it. I played for the installation and month of service we used. I told them that they better not charge my card for anything else after I gave it to them because the whole situation seemed VERY shady. I was told on the phone that we were square and our account was closed and paid in full. On Friday, May the 24th, Hughes Net stole from my bank account $868.25 without my authorization. I was not set up for auto bill pay or anything like that. I used my card with them once which they stated the could charge it whenever and for however much they wanted without any notification. They completely cleaned out my checking account with out warning, phone call, or mail. I did receive an email that had no bill attached and all i stated was I owed $868.27. I didn't even notice the email because I wasn't expecting one from them. I accessed my account to Hughes Net and saw a bill that was generated on May 15th. They attempted to charge my card the very same day for the whole $868.27. Even if the bill was correct and I owed that amount, which I DO NOT just to be clear, the bill online states it wasn't due until June the 14th however they tried to charge my card the very same day the bill was generated. They attempted to charge my card one sometimes two times a day all the way up to Friday May the 24th. I was not aware they were attempting this since the charges were not going through until this past Friday when I unlocked my card and they were able to debit my card for the full $868.27. Needless to say I was livid that they did this after repeatedly telling me that my account was closed and the account was paid in full. Never once did they tell me "Oh by the way, we are going to charge you $868.27 for your loss than one month of service". I was very angry about this and called Hughes Net yesterday. I was reapetedly transferred to different departments explaining the situation each time I was transferred which was very very annoying. When I supposedly got to the correct department which was the collections dept. I discussed the situation with and told them that the sales rep told me if I signed up with them and it did not fit my needs that if I cancelled before the first 30 days were up I would not be charged any fees for cancelling and only charged for the setup and month we used. It was VERY OBVIOUS they did not know what the charge was for and I kept asking them what the details were for this charge of $868 were and they could not tell me. They gave me like four different reasons as to why they charged this amount like the early termination fee, equipment, etc... They also told me they do not offer to charge no fees when you cancel service after 30 days. I told her they told me this when I signed up and I never would have signed up if they did not offer this Luckily I got a reference number when I cancelled showing that they waived these fees and the they come up with something called any early lease termination fee. I kept asking them for a detailed copy of this bill where it shows how they came up with the $868 figure or at least communicate it through the phone and they could not/would not do it because I told them the bill online does not show anything it just states 868 for a Charge. I asked them to speak to a supervisor and the woman I was speaking to kept giving excuses to keep me from talking to the supervisor like they are just going to tell me the same thing. I had to raise my voice and get belligerent so the she finally placed me on hold to get the supervisor. She kept coming back and saying they were busy. She came back a final time after about 30 minutes of being on hold and told me that it would be a long time before I was able to speak to a supervisor. I was SO MAD at this point as it was so clearly evident they were doing this on purpose. I told them they did not have authorization to make this charge of 868 and I would be discussing my charge with the bank and hung up. I called Bank of America to dispute the charge. Bank of America's wait times yesterday were very long. As I was waiting I decided to Google and see if there was a before 30 day cancellation policy because I felt that they were lying about the fact that they offer no such agreement. Look and behold on their legal/terms of service portion of THEIR WEBSITE http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-between-07-01-08-and-09-01-08.cfm, they say they do offer no fees if cancelled within the initial 30 day period. Once I saw this I immediately hung up the phone with BOA because of the wait time and called back Hughes Net. Once again I was transferred all over the place until I was transferred to to the incompetent collection department. I once again had to explain the entire situation again to the new CS rep. I would like to point out that the reps from this department which is hard to describe but they talk in a very monotone voice and just seem like they do not care about anything at all. This rep gave me the same BS as to why they charged me. This rep actually gave me one other reason as to why they charged me. I once again asked her for they details of the charge which she danced around and could not give me on the phone or in print. I once again told her that when I signed up they told me about the 30 day cancellation policy and that I never would have signed up had I known they would charge me 868 for whatever reason for cancelling. She told me once again there was no such policy. I told her it is in print on the legal / terms of service page located ON THEIR WEBSITE!!! She actually asked me for the URL where it stated this. I was completely dumbfounded. It was totally unbelievable that the collections department doesn't know their cancellation policies and where it is stated on their own website. I was speechless but proceeded to direct her to the page I saw. She put me on hold like I had been 1000 times before with this company to "discuss" with her supervisor. After about 5 minutes someone gets back on the phone and it is the first CS rep I spoke to initially. I was so mad my voice stayed permanently raised for the remainder of the time I was on the phone. The first CS rep said I told you that the lease termination. She was completely ignoring the page I had given them about cancelling in the first 30 days. I told her she flat out lied to me about this. She was completely ignoring what I was saying and kept trying to talk over me. I kept asking for a supervisor. She wouldn't flat out tell me no but it was flat out obvious at this point she wasn't letting that happen. I had to get to the point of basically screaming to get her to put me on hold just to check and see if I could talk to the supervisor. This is not the most unbelievable part. The part of the conversation that was the most unbelievable is when they returned the same lady that I was screaming at came back on the phone and stated she was the supervisor. I was in amazement how a company the size of Hughes Net was operating. At this point I had spent a total of 6 hours trying to get this rectified. Throughout this entire ordeal they kept offering me a credit.They would put me on hold to talk to the "mythical supervisor" and then offer me a credit. At first it was $200, the $300, then $400, then when I talked to the phony supervisor she offered me $500 credit. Each time they would offer me a credit they would state we will do you a "favor". This seemed very much a part of their traning to say this however I told them they are not doing me a solid when i want supposed to be charged in the first place. I was so disgusted and so sick of talking to these people I just took the $500. I proceeded one last time to find out the details of what these charges were for. She kept stumbling around the question. Only when I became belligerent with the "supervisor" to get answer I think she was just getting tired of talking to me and told me they do not have access to the billing details and that I would have to talk to billing to get the details. I was in shock at this point. I took the $500 credit. I just thought to myself why would they offer anything if they did not fraudulently do this? They transferred me to billing who handles they credit. I once again explained the situation AGAIN since the "supervisor" said they can see the billing details. Once I was finished explaining thing and the madness of their customer service he calmly said oh I can pull that up. He seemed very sympathetic to my cause. He pulled it up and said the bill was for 2nd month cancellation. I was like OH MY GOD! I told him I cancelled within the first month. He seemed a bit confused why I was billed and he said he would need to go discuss this with his supervisor. Now this entire time I have been on the phone with these crazy customer service reps every time they go and speak to their "supervisor" they come back with an answer that I dont like and when you try to speak with this mythical supervisor that they JUST spoke to they deflect, deflect, deflect. This was no different. The billing guy came back and his empathetic ear changed. He said oh it was an early termination fee. I proceeded to say no, no, no. There was not supposed to be a termination fee. He also said that his supervisor asks where I saw this 30 termination clause. Now it is one thing for a customer service drone not know about what is clearly printed about cancellations. It is a totally mind blowing situation for a supervisor in the BILLING DEPARTMENT not to know what their cancellation policy is. I was physically drained at this point. I had no fight left in me. I believe it is policy to just wear you down when there is a billing dispute and along the way offering credit so I guess my 7 hours of time spent on the phone with them was worth $500. I asked the guy in the billing dept if this is a refund of $500 or if they are just going to credit my closed account with a zero balance and of course he did not have the answer to that and would need to transfer me BACK to the collections department to figure that out. I think my BP rose to unhealthy levels during this whole ordeal and dont think my heart could take another conversation with those people. So I said no thanks and that I would wait and see if it went back into my bank however I'm pretty sure they just put a credit on my closed account because when I log in it had a balance of -$500. In summary, stay VERY FAR away from HughesNet. If you no choice and have to sign up for their service then dont use your debit card with them for anything like paying a bill or setting up service because according to them they can charge it at anytime without your authorization. I am a pretty easy going person and dont get frustrated easily but this company's reps sent my frustration levels through the roof. I have never been lied to by a company as blatantly as this one. As a matter of fact this is the only company I have ever dealt with that has lied and been so overly deceptive to the point of questioning whether I was being punked or not. They are also thieves and when you call them out they try and barter with you in order to keep from maybe doing a charge back. I took the $500 in case BOA is unable to retrieve the money for me. Since this is a large company I'm not sure if they will be able to. I may have screwed myself by accepting the $500. My advice to anyone thinking about using them is to stay very far away. Otherwise if you cancel within a month you will be paying 868 + one month of service + installation, which amounts to over $1000 for one month of service. I tried to login to my account this morning to retrieve my bill and they have completely deleted access my Hughes Net account and have made me unable to access any information about my bill. I believe they have done this to prevent me to do a charge back through my bank. This is so unbelievable the measures they take to steal from people. I would not believe this could happen unless it happened to me personally. This is the most unethical and worst company I've ever dealt with both personally and professionally. This company's business practices needs to be investigated. Please forgive in advance any typos in this review.

Janelle
May 22nd, 2019 Carbondale, CO DETAILS

Expensive, slow, bundled home line -- terrible! Can't wait to get rid of this.

Phil
May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Slow internet, high prices but little choice in area

ELIZA BALISACAN
May 20th, 2019 Longview, TX DETAILS

THIS IS THE WORST INTERNET CO. THEY ARE EXTREMELY SLOW. THEY LIE ABOUT BEING UNLIMITED THEY ABSOLUTELY ARE NOT UNLIMITED THEN I WAS NOT AWARE OF A CONTRACT THEY TOLD ME WHEN I TOLD THEM I WOULD NOT GET INTERNET THAT HAS A CONTRACT THEY TOLD ME THAT I DIDNT HAVE TO GET A CONTRACT I GUESS NOW THAT WAS A LIE JUST TO GET ME TO GET THEY SUCK EXTREMELY SLOW BAD SERVICE I FEEL SOO PLAYED. THEY ARE THEY WORSE SERVICE EVER AND IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME CHECK ON FACE BOOK . DO NOT GET THEIR SERVICE NO MATTER IF THEY LIE TO YOU AND TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN DO MONTH TO MONTH.

mark
May 13th, 2019 Lancaster, CA DETAILS

super slow, sucks, can't wait for contract to end, the problem with this internet is there is a 600ms ping delay this is why you can't use for gaming why because the delay is to slow this is the response speed when you request a page and this is what you should be shopping for is the ping speed not the download speed, so the internet companies can't sell you on this because it varies from house to house so they sell you on download speed that is more constant from house to house its a trick to make money people, so interm you want to find the lowest ping number 5ms (milliseconds) is super fast so hughesnet has a 600ms delay so thats super slow. kinda get it

Dan Golden
May 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

No problems very good so far. I had Spectrum, but for the fact they have raised my monthly payment double

D Goodrich
April 23rd, 2019 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS

I was a Hughesnet costumer for over two years and I felt stuck. I lost signal everytime it drizzled outside, yet there weren't many options for internet in my area. I also felt misled by the sales person when I purchased my package. I explained what I wanted out of my internet service. I specifically said that I stream television shows and movies regularly from my smart television. After streaming TWO movies all of my data was gone. When I called customer service, the representative said I needed to download shows and movies on my lap top after 1am and then connect it to my television if I want to watch it during the day. What! But I am stuck in a contract. I am in the military and transferred to another city after 2 and a half years. I called to cancel my service and asked how to return the equipment. I was told that I didn't need to return the equipment. Then, the representative told me that service was available at my new location and I told them I was going to shop around before committing. I called back the same week and asked them to tell me their best offer so I could compare. They offered the Gen5 but expressed that I would still not have the data amount to support what I wanted in an internet service. They kept saying that they could suspend my account for two months while I thought about it. I told them I no longer wanted their service and the rep said they regretted to lose me as a customer and to have a nice day. They apparently regretted it so much that they DIDN'T lose me as a customer. They have continued to charge me for the past two months. I called customer service and she told me that my service was never disconnected, I actually AM required to return the equipment, and the department I needed to speak to has an hour wait. So try to call again tomorrow. I am flabbergasted. I deploy soon and need the issue resolved as soon as possible. I cannot believe how Hughesnet has treated me. I caution you, DO NOT TRUST THEM.

Jose Quintana
April 12th, 2019 Oberlin, KS DETAILS

The worst internet company ever. We canceled our service way back in November and they continue to take our money and refuse to give it back. An claim we never canceled service. We have email proff we did

Neal
April 12th, 2019 Lomira, WI DETAILS

Worst ever. Stayed with them for over 2 years, upgraded to faster internet paid over $90 month and still couldn't stream anything. Couldn't even use 2 computers at the same time on the internet. Called to complain 2 times, it was still within the contract and they wanted to charge us for someone to come out and work on THEIR equipment, they waived the fee and said they would credit us 1 week each time (because that was how long it took someone to come out and "fix" the problem). We never got a credit, we cancelled our service 3 days into a new billing cycle and they refuse to prorate, insist we will have to pay for the full month even if we don't use it, a supervisor wants to suspend our service for 6 months in order not to pay for the month right now If we still didn't want it in 6 months, we would still have to pay the month at that time. When we said no, he said well he's not waiving the monthly bill and then he HUNG UP ON US. Great customer service there...now my emails for the 2 weeks worth of credit are going unanswered even though they claim to get back with you in24 hours, and that they are there 24/7. Feels like they are trying to run the clock out on us. Just another greedy, scamming company out there that wants to take your money and not deliver on product advertised.

Rose
March 13th, 2019 DETAILS

They are great. No compliants. Service is great and support is wonderful.

Richard

Slower than advertised speed is 9MHZ per sec and they advertise 25

Penny Holbrook
March 13th, 2019 DETAILS

Very low speeds, inconsistent speeds, unable to stream video such as Netflix and Amazon Prime

Jim
March 13th, 2019 DETAILS

Good, once everything was started up. They could improve by being clearer up front on the cost, what was included and what was not included.

Roxann
March 11th, 2019 Nashport, OH DETAILS

We got the 10GB plan for $49.99 ends up being $70.50! It sits and spins constantly even with plenty of data left. If it snows, gets dark, rains, everything effects it. I'm tied in to a years contract which isn't going to stop me from cancelling. They suck!

John Sal
March 5th, 2019 Summerdale, AL DETAILS

They are terrible. Slow down service after third day. Dial up is better than their XXXX. RUN AWAY FROM HUGHES NET!!!

Tim Carver
March 1st, 2019 Seneca, SC DETAILS

Worse than dialup! Been complaining for +1 month (2x week), spending hours on phone only to be passed around doing the same tests with same results: less than 1mps. They say wait for a phone call from techs. Same tests; wait for another call; more same tests. More delays. Billing continues. They quickly remind you of 2 year contract or $400 payout. What a rip off!!

CT
February 21st, 2019 Cleburne, TX DETAILS

Had there service for 6 months. Service was poor every month. 0.58 mbps consistently. Until you call in then they try and walk you through this whole reset process. Run the test an it all of the sudden runs at 35 mbps. Only to slow back down within 24hrs. Called on this numerous times with the same result.Then found another internet provider and call in to cancel service only to find out 8 days later they direct drafted my account $340. Called into dispute the charge and they said they cannot reverse it because its part of the contract. Also apart of the contract is minimum speed of 10mbps(which is horrible)and that never happened. When I explained this to the supervisor she just kept saying sorry we already charged it. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Thomas Hojnowski
February 21st, 2019 Canton, PA DETAILS

Had Hughesnet for about a month. It reminded me of having Netscape in 1997 through my Internet carrier Epix at that time. Slow, jumpy, and hit and miss. Yes, they got me for the $400 cancellation fee.... unfortunately they have one good sales person, then followed by a bunch of lousy tech support... and no improvement in my service. Sad I did once talk to the one good sales person at Hughesnet,,, prior to him, others did not have me sold. I believe based on the discussions with most of the Hughesnet representatives, it appears to be a conspiracy from another country... only one spoke clear English (the sales person) and the rest were hard to understand and successfully communicate with. What a sad racket Hughesnet has created.....

Sheila Marshall
February 20th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I would not recommend Hughes Net to anyone. They are crooks. When you cancel your service they don't send you your boxed to send their crap back. They suck more than 3 hundred dollars out of your bank account so they can work off of your money while you fight to get it back. You end up having to use your own money to send their crap back and they still work off your money until their good and ready to give it back. A multi million dollar company that steels from the poor to line their own pockets.

Ronald Smith
February 14th, 2019 Barhamsville, VA DETAILS

Was with this internet service for 3 months. Any time i tested my internet speeds i was below 10 mbps. I called them multiple times for the slow speed, couldnt get any work done on my computer and anytime i live streamed anything it would just stop and buffer. So annoying. called many times to complain and get it fixed but they never resolved the problem. they would tell me i was getting 25 mbps when they would test even though this was untrue. Anytime i would speak to them, soon after my speeds would be fast for approx a few hours but then soon after the speeds would be really slow again. Finally after 3 months enough was enough and i cancelled the service. they charged me 385 dollar disconnect fee saying i had no good reason for cancelling. Unbelievable! Dont ever use this service!

Tammo
February 12th, 2019 Rancho Cucamonga, CA DETAILS

HughesNet internet service is GREAT, compared to the DSL I had. It works exactly as advertised. The installation was done as scheduled, done professionally and looks very neat. As for the speed, I couldn't be happier. I get between 18 and 21 MBPS. My DSL only provided 0 .8 - 0.9 MBPS, yes, that was less than one MBPS. I am simply too far from the phone company's Relay Building. So, for my situation, HughesNet is a good answer. I understand that as of this writing (2/8/19) they were still having some technical issue with the Usage Meter application. One consideration for those reading negative reviews where the reviewer is unhappy with the speed. When you go to some website to let's say download a video or other large file, you may think that is no where near 20 MBPS. The webpage or file download is also very dependent on the server that provides the data. If the server is undersized or very busy because of man, many users on it at the same time, that will show up in your download time. That is not your ISP's (like HughesNet) fault. To check the speed, use a speed testing app that is free to use.

Carlie
February 8th, 2019 Pagosa Springs, CO DETAILS

HORRIBLE, ABSURD, UNBELIEVABLE These jerks deserve less than 0 stars. We got Hughesnet at the end of December 2018 and cancelled service at the beginning of February. 2 months of trouble. From the date of install, we had nothing but problems. It was slow, sometimes wouldn’t work and we “used” way too much data. We were on the 10GB plan and had to purchase “data tokens” within the first month. We quickly realized that even the 20GB plan would not even work for our family of four. $103 for the first month for an AWFUL service. We work from home and we MUST have consistently working internet service, which I relayed to the customer service reps every time (probably at least 10 phone calls) I called to complain that our service wasn’t working. Of course, every time I called, they said our service was “working with no problems” on their end. I even scheduled a repair technician to come out and he said he couldn’t find a problem but recommended that we purchase a Wi-Fi extender. We purchased a Wi-Fi extender for around $80 but of course this did not solve any problems. We couldn’t even watch a 30-minute TV show on Netflix without the show buffering/loading every two minutes or less. My wife uses video chat for work meetings and most of the time, she couldn’t even finish her meetings. Our options were Centurylink and Hughesnet at our new home that we had just purchased. Having had some issues with Centurylink in the past, we decided to try Hughesnet. I called to set it up and the sales person said we would have no issues at our new location. They did not say that were in a 2-year contract and that we would have to pay a $400 early termination fee even though the internet wasn’t working. After a month and a half, I lost my patience. We had to have working internet, so I ordered Centurylink. $45 per month, no contracts at a speed of 3MBPS. Not ideal, but it was our only option. I waited a couple weeks to think about what to do about Hughesnet. I finally called to cancel, and I told them that I would bot be paying an early termination fee as they didn’t hold up their end of the contract. I argued with a gentleman that I could barely understand for about 10 minutes. He said they would not waive the fee because it was a “valid charge.” The result was I told him to cancel my contract, but I would not be paying a fee. They went ahead and charged my bank account for the fee without telling me. I am angry and shocked that these people are being allowed to rip people off. Around $500 for two months of the worst internet I’ve ever experienced! How are they getting away with this?! Our new Centurylink advertised at a slower speed than Hughesnet that costs HALF as much is working beautifully.

SHERMAN AARON MACE
January 30th, 2019 Sterling, MI DETAILS

I lived in my last home for 40 years and had cable most of those years. i never had 1/10 of the problems i have had with Hughes. If it looks like rain i lose service. Now at 75 i have to climb on my roof when it snows to clean the disk and restore service. To watch anything on You Tube is to put up with constant circles. i will find a new provider or will do without.

Michael Long Sheridan
January 10th, 2019 Victor, ID DETAILS

Fine if there is no alternative. Data is expensive If you want to cut the cord, streaming will kill you with data overage. Owned by Dish. They want your monthly subscription. Big penalty if you want to cancel service before your term.(You will want out!)

Kelli
January 10th, 2019 Needville, TX DETAILS

Worst service EVER! Customer Service is a joke. The service is not reliable and the cost is ridiculous. The record keeping is even worse. I returned my equipment with tracking numbers and yet they can't track. Result, being charged for equipment I don't have or want. STAY AWAY.

Rita Mccurter
January 2nd, 2019 Hobbs, NM DETAILS

This is the absolute worse internet I have ever had. I run out of data withing the first week. I cannot run my TV or any of my wireless products more than 1 week. If you like to watch Netflix or have direct TV DO NOT go with this carrier!! You have to sign a 2 year contract and to get out of it you are charged a fee.

Troy
December 21st, 2018 Battle Creek, MI DETAILS

Had the service for one month and it never really worked. I asked for a tech since I was paying for one, they still wanted to do things over the phone. Long story short, never had a tech come out, took three days of fight to cancel the service. By far this was the worst company I ever worked with in my life just to receive the same crappy signal I get on my cell phone at the same crappy price DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THEM!!

K
December 17th, 2018 Mahomet, IL DETAILS

Just like the many MANY other customers, HughesNet also took an unauthorized payment from me. I canceled the very slow and terrible service when a serviceman came out to see what was wrong with my equipmentment and told me HughesNet does not work well for streaming Netflix. I told him that’s all I wanted it for, I was misinformed and take the equipment because I don’t want service. He told me that he would put in my cancellation but they would mail a box for equipment. Almost 2 months later I received a box in the mail and the next day HughesNet took $408 out of my checking account without my permission. I never said ok to automatic payments. I never do with any of my bills. I was NEVER told that I was agreeing to automatic payments upfront and that I had to call later to request a paper bill. I heard that for the first time today on the phone with HughesNet, months after I’d started service. That’s their scam. And $408?! They said it was “tokens”. I had to google what a token even was! I never called and ordered tokens, they told me I did it from my account online, but I’ve never even used my account online!! It’s a scam and it’s sad. I am a single mom with 4 little boys, I worked so hard to save that money to buy them Christmas gifts and the exact same day I had money put in my account, HughesNet took it out! 10 days before Christmas! I talked to 4 different people on the phone. Got no where. I was waiting for my final bill to come in the mail and planned to pay for it with a different card, not my kids Christmas money! I still never got a bill in the mail!! I hope HughesNet is happy that they stole Christmas from 4 little boys. They could’ve at least waited a couple weeks to steal my money! That would’ve sat better with me than doing it with my kids Christmas money!! I’m disgusted with HughesNet for taking money out of my account without ever asking my permission and I’m disgusted after reading how many other people this has happened to. I will be sure to post this on several different sites so that hopefully others don’t get screwed over the way I did.

Butch
December 14th, 2018 Harrison, MI DETAILS

I have been complaining on slow speed ever since ive have been a customer There comment is always its good at our end! but there not here you cant get anyone to come and see what your talking about! Its pretty bad when you are on face book and he pics wont download unless you refresh it 2-3 times! I am waiting for my contract to end and will cancel there ads for fast service is a fraud! I live in a rural area and Hard to find providers but anyone is better than hughes net

JW
December 1st, 2018 Bishop, GA DETAILS

Highest does not deliver what they promise, nor what you pay for. Their download speeds are not anywhere near what they advertise. We cannot have basic movie downloads, such as Netflix, because of the constant spoiling. Because HughesNet is satellite, you are at the mercy of the weather also. If it's raining in Montana, it could affect you in Georgia!

Kim Robinson
November 2nd, 2018 Las Cruces, NM DETAILS

Whatever, whatever you do, do not subscribe to HughesNet! Let me tell you about my experience, which I'm seeing repeated all over the internet. I thought I would subscribe because they were new to my neighborhood and I would save a little money. I purposefully asked if I would be able to stream movies and videos and was told absolutely yes, and so went ahead with the install and lengthy service contract. Well, the install tech was friendly enough, but when we went to try it out, it buffered my movies considerably. I asked about that and was told "you just have to wait for it to download it for a minute". Well, I stupidly let it go, and alone, I continued to try to watch my movies. I timed it and it buffered every 15 seconds. Even my tablet would buffer trying to download videos and music. I ended up calling their technical service 3 times within the first few days. Every time, I would get an overseas operator who would test and fiddle with something on their end, and then tell me to go to their website and change some settings. Nothing worked, not a whit. I told them I wanted to cancel after just those few days and was told there was a cancellation fee of $400 for the first 2 years. I guess I knew that but thought I would never need to do that when I signed up. Well, here's what I did. I knew their monthly charge would be coming up soon, so I went to my bank and changed some banking information and had them blocked. Haha on them! Soon I got past due notices, and then more threatening letters. Ultimately I got a box asking for a return for all of their equipment. They even wanted me to go up to the roof and retrieve their transmitter! Heck if I was going to do that. I even read a review where they were asking an 80 year-old man to do the same. Well, today I am going to UPS to mail their box with just what I was able to throw in it. I hope that's the end of this mess!

Linda Crusing
June 4th, 2018 Kempner, TX DETAILS

Most of the time it is pretty fast but being a satellite dish it does have its drawbacks. It's not cheap either.

Ron Stout
May 7th, 2018 McAlester, OK DETAILS

Service provided as advertised. Very few negatives, and nothing to complain about. However, after reviewing ratings and reviews not all customer have the same opinion as I do

Linda West
May 2nd, 2018 Whitewater, WI DETAILS

Internet is very slow even after upgrade and customer service is not good

Michael Monk
May 2nd, 2018 Skidmore, MO DETAILS

Makes installation on time. The tech new his job and did it well. He commented he did not like to work. for his supervisor and planned to quit.