HughesNet is an internet service provider committed to making its customers' internet experiences the best for more than 40 years. This long history of service has made HughesNet the largest satellite internet network in the country.

HughesNet offers download speeds up to 25 Mbps from a satellite network. It focuses on residential internet services.

HughesNet has a great reputation for customer service and has a high rate of customer retention. This reputation helps HughesNet to stand out among their competition within the industry.

In the satellite internet industry, HughesNet is often compared to its competitor, Viasat (formerly known as Exede Internet).

View Customer HughesNet Reviews

#1 Comcast Xfinity Internet chevron_right
3.3
#2 CenturyLink chevron_right
2.6
#3 Cox Internet chevron_right
3.3

The Good

• Satellite Network
  • Plan Options and Pricing
  • Nationwide Availability

Satellite Network

The technology delivering high-speed internet plans is constantly improving. Consumers can choose several options from their internet providers, such as dial-up service, DSL, cable internet, and fiber-optic broadband.

HughesNet has introduced a new type of network using satellite technology. The HughesNet satellite is more than 22,000 miles in space and will receive a signal from the customer's computer.

However, some customers complain that satellite internet has room for improvement, and they struggle to get a signal. Being at the forefront of internet evolution comes with the risk of service issues, so make sure that satellite internet is the best option for you.

Plan Options and Pricing

HughesNet has one consistent speed across all of its plans: 25 Mbps. The actual speed experienced may vary depending on other external factors. The rates vary based on how much monthly data is included and your area.

• 10 GB — $59.99
  • 20 GB — $69.99
  • 30 GB — $99.99
  • 50 GB — $149.99

However, these rates don't include equipment. Customers pay a monthly fee to lease a modem.

Nationwide Availability

Most broadband ISPs are smaller companies that offer their internet networks to a focalized region. They generally operate in a few states or in metropolitan areas. Few companies offer widespread service.

HughesNet's satellite service spans the entire country. No matter where you live, you can always access the network. This is a benefit for customers who may move often because they can be confident that their internet will travel with them.

The Bad

• Limited Internet Packages
  • Long Contract
  • Slow Speeds
  • Data Allowance
  • Equipment Purchase or Lease

Limited Internet Packages

Most ISPs offer their customers a large selection of internet plans. These packages have a variety of data speeds and features.

This is not the case for HughesNet. They offer limited service plans depending on your area. Pricing also varies depending on your zip code and the data allowance you choose.

If you want to cancel your service contract with HughesNet after installation, expect a termination fee. You will have to return the equipment by mail.

Long Contract

HughesNet's internet service requires a two-year contract, as do some of its competitors in the satellite internet industry. If you want to test how it compares to other internet providers, you'll be locked into a contract for years unless you would like to pay a termination fee.

However, HughesNet guarantees its price for 24 months, which could be appealing for those who are wary of the notorious price hikes with many service plans.

If you're seeking a month-to-month contract, HughesNet isn't for you.

Slow Speeds

HughesNet's broadband speed is very slow in the industry. Some companies have higher speeds closer to 1 Gbps, but more commonly the competitive speeds are lower: 75–300 Mbps. HughesNet only offers its customers 25 Mbps. This may be a deterrent if you need a higher download speed.

The upload speeds with HughesNet are not easy to find on their website. This is one of the most frequent customer complaints, and many say they switched from HughesNet to a high-speed internet plan.

The high latency of satellite internet has many users complaining that they struggle to get a signal to their devices. Others say that when they run a speed test they receive a slow speed much lower than their advertised plan.

If you are looking for faster speeds, you may need to look elsewhere.

Data Allowance

HughesNet's data caps could be another downside for potential customers. Other internet service providers also set caps for their customers in order to better control their network speeds, but these companies normally don't have limits that are set so low. Some companies provide their customers with unlimited data.

HughesNet's data caps are between 10–50 GB, which limits their customers significantly. However, once you use your data allowance, you can still stay connected at a slower speed. HughesNet only slows down data until the next billing cycle.

HughesNet also has data saver technology that moderates the amount of data used when streaming videos so that it lasts for a longer period of time.

Equipment Purchase or Lease

If you choose one of HughesNet's internet plans, you can pay upfront to purchase the HughesNet gateway modem, which comes with built in Wi-Fi. Otherwise, you'll have to lease the modem for a monthly fee. The modem is required for HughesNet service. Customers living in rural areas might decide the modem is worth the upfront money.

When initially starting an internet service contract with HughesNet, customers will schedule a technician to install the equipment. Some deals include free installation. Others may charge an installation fee.

The Bottom Line

HughesNet uses broadband satellite to bring its customers a connection. Its satellite network creates a pathway between the customer's computer and the HughesNet servers through a satellite that is thousands of miles up in space.

The speeds currently available through this network are very slow at only 25 Mbps for downloads. While this speed is slow compared to other high-speed internet, it is much faster than dial-up.

The cost per month is expensive for the speed offered. Other internet providers with different technology provide faster speeds at similar, and sometimes lower, costs.

Consumers interested in high speed may want to consider other internet options, like cable or fiber-optic internet.

HughesNet service options also have little variety. HughesNet would be a good option for those customers who are choosing from high-speed satellite service providers, want a reliable connection, and don't mind slower internet speeds.

View Best Internet Service Providers

1.7

Marty
November 4th, 2019 Britton, MI DETAILS

The 25 megabytes they advertise I may get a few spikes of it a day normally it's less than one megabyte I've called and complained and talked to many different people that come up with many different excuses they keep you on the phone till you get a couple of good spikes and then tell you they fixed it it's a total rip-off I don't know anybody that is satisfied with it I can't watch YouTube download any streaming videos half the time the pages won't even load then they say what you have too many devices hooked up well I'm not using any other devices and that's a whole idea of getting 25 megabytes anyway is 4 many devices it just total BS the commercials make me sick when I hear what a fraud they do

Snuffy
October 30th, 2019 Marietta, GA DETAILS

Find an alternative, these guys sux. Stay away. Got locked into 24 mos. for our remote property in Western NC. Could not send photos from iPhone. Netflix buffered every 5 mins. Call center from Philippines is salt in the wound IMO. This was a second home for us so data usage was low for each 30 day period. Explore Exede/Via Sat. May cost more but it works better. I’ve had both.

nicole
October 29th, 2019 Millheim, PA DETAILS

This is an absolute terrible service. Promised the 25 megabytes for second, maybe get 3 is lucky during peak hours. Get a hotspot for your home through a cellular provider like verizon, at&t or sprint. for so much cheaper. TERRIBLE!! would give this a zero star review.

Lisa
October 23rd, 2019 Partlow, VA

Literally just got off the phone. Wouldn't give me a price till i agree to a credit check. Well not me, i ain't falling for it. We dont do contracts no more, and yes the representative was trying everything to get me set it up. So after reading reviews and seen the prices they offer with the speeds they're giving and the allowance. Nope i stick with what we got. We live in a area that is limited to internet services. We using ROKU and alot of free live tv/movies and apps. Using my mobile hotspot on our phones and its been great, but every now and then it lags. So we just deal with it. $120 for cell phone $40 for SLING TV $160 total for my set up, phone, tv, internet, no contracts on nothing. I stick with this. Come on hughesnet, get with the program. Contracts are the past, people dont like it.

Jared Gregory
October 22nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

If you like dial up speed and 1G prices, then you might like HughesNet. The say it's high speed, but it's not even close. Hands down the worst provider I have had the displeasure of being contracted with. Do yourself a favor and stay away...

GS
October 21st, 2019 Grady, AL DETAILS

Recently cancelled services from Hughes Net because of inconsistent service and slow speeds. Was told that it was not required to send old equipment back to them because it was in fact old and they even suggested that maybe that's why their service didn't work right. It was an awful experience dealing with them. Well, after a time they automatically deducted the price of the equipment that they had said DO NOT RETURN. They did put the money back in the account once we called and held their feet to the fire for their error and proved that they had in fact said not to send it back. The draft caused a chain reaction they would not accept responsibility for and they would not pay for the fees that were a result of the chain reaction. My opinion? Hughes Net has sorry customer service and isn't worth the money spent for their sorry internet services.

Richard
October 15th, 2019 Bangor, ME DETAILS

HughesNet is the absolute worst internet service I have ever used. Reminds me the dial up internet I had years ago. First complaint I have is my security program is say my internet connection is not secure a recommends I use a VPN, well HughesNet does not work with VPN. When I called to complain about this the person I talked to did not know what VPN was. She did not know of any complaints about the connection being unsecured. If she had checked the HughesNet forum there are many complaints about the unsecured network. HughesNet does not work with WiFi calling, another negative. Oh did I mention slow. I cannot watch videos of any kind without them stopping to load 10 times during the video. Checking my mail takes forever, I find my self shutting off the WiFi and using data on my phone just to check my e-mail. If you are considering HughesNet as your internet provider good luck!!

Kate Gregory
October 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We got Hughesnet while we lived in Texas. We signed a 2 year contract and ended up moving shortly after. We lived in a short-term rental and they suspended our contract 6 months because internet was provided. We were not charged moving costs, but we paid for 3 months of unused internet because they would not suspend it any longer. When we set it up on a new state, they wanted to restart our contract. I refused, so they stayed with the original agreement. I felt that it was unethical trying to extend the contract when we had already been paying for nothing. Our internet was fine for 6 months, but apparently the dish was moved during a storm and the internet was slow. I called because it wasn't working well and customer service said that we would have to pay $125 for a technician to come out and make the internet work well again. I said that was too much money for something we didn't do so she waived the fee. Our internet is working well again, bit my overall experience had not been great.

Rushie Gregory
October 3rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I'm not super impressed by the quality of HughesNet internet. They forced us to sign a 2 year contract before we could see the quality. It's definitely not the worst, but I wouldn't recommend.

Michael
September 30th, 2019 Clarksville, TN DETAILS

Ever since I first signed up with them it was a terrible experience. Any storm moving through and the signal is gone. Even just some rain. The speed is abysmal, can't even use voice chat software like Skype, or Discord because of how high the ping is. Their customer service and billing departments are probably the worst of any company I've ever encountered. I'm definitely not one to go and write reviews for anything. But my experience with then was so poor I had to make sure that my experience with them was voiced so that I could prevent others from the same experience. I called in May of 2019 to have my account cancelled in August after my two year contract ended because we found a better provider. They told me the account would auto cancel and send out a box to reclaim the equipment that was leased to me. September rolls around, and I was beginning to wonder where the return box was. The next day they charge me almost triple what my original payments were. I call to rectify the situation, to which I was told they could not refund me. Once I get the account cancelled they attempt to issue a refund. Turns out their billing department cannot issue a refund within 10 days of a payment. I call back 10 days later and they tell me that they can't give me my money back until the equipment is returned and I have a tracking number. So I wait for the box to arrive, send the package and give them the tracking number. They still refuse to give me the money back, that they shouldn't have had in the first place, until their equipment is in their warehouse. It feel as if they are holding my money ransom until I return their equipment, which was returned in the exact condition in which they leased it to me. Additionally the money they are holding they shouldn't even have in the first place.

Sam Gray
September 30th, 2019 Raleigh, NC DETAILS

Hughnet pricing is extremely high compared to cable. Folks that can't get internet service through cable is definitely getting taken advantage of. 2 terra bite of data through cable $70 a month 10 GB through Hughsnet $59.99 I get more on my phone.should be ashamed of yourself.

Don't do it!!!
September 27th, 2019 Riverview, MI DETAILS

I would give it zero stars but it won't alow that! If you're thinking about getting internet from this company do yourself a faver and don't! Its very expensive for the VERY slow internet they have! Thinking you can call to figure out the problem, might as well just talk to you're wall cause it will listen and be alot more helpful then the folks you will get ahold off! So please for all thats holy and good DO NOT GO THROUGH THIS COMPANY!

Owen
September 27th, 2019 New Salisbury, IN DETAILS

Terrible service. Too slow for streaming. Data disappears on weekends when we are out of town and everything is turned off; that really happened. The bill is considerably larger than we were told it would be and they want us to buy stupid coins for them to give us back what they stole. I will be going without internet instead of paying these crooks for terrible service.

Paul fassl
September 25th, 2019 New Port Richey, FL DETAILS

all bad they get people from Pakistan to answer the calls and never sole the problem you have I had to pay 325 to get out of contract I could not even watch my shows and I only used the service 3 times a month at my cabin in north Florida Lulu my name is Paul fassl Hughes net sucks don't get there service no matter what .

Unhappy
September 25th, 2019 Nocona, TX DETAILS

I called customer service to change the date of the auto draft of my monthly payment. I am a public educator and get paid only once a month and explained my pay date changed. HughesNet would NOT help. I was told that "you can change the date only once a year". I have a bill for the 22nd, and a pay of the 25th. This company is NOT customer friendly.

Megan
September 24th, 2019 Albion, MI DETAILS

1 star is to many! I was paying $80 a month for internet that really only worked maybe 3 days a month. I called to get it fixed 4 separate times and every time they said,"Your good!" So I called to cancel and they charged me $400 plus that months bill and said," ma'am your not working with us!" Do not get them!! Your wasting your money!

John Gillies
September 24th, 2019 Waynesboro, VA DETAILS

HughesNet. Is providing satellite service for me in a rural area where there are fewer options. The household is two retired people who largely do email and web surfing. No games, no internet streamed movies, etc. I transferred from a telephone linked service which ran at 2-3 MPs for Hughes, which advertises at 25mps. There were some hidden costs for. Installation, but overall I started well. They said that 10G would be plenty for our needs. Then i saw how quickly the data allowance disappeared. At the beginning of the first full month, the ENTIRE 10G disappeared in ONE DAY. A day of no particular heavy usage. At that point, Hughes strangles the speed; down to around 1 MPs - at one point it was down to 0.09 MPs — for the rest of the month. I called to complain and discuss a solution. they said - well you have to turn off all your devices when you are not using them. Phone, iPad, computer, link to Dish TV, etc. In effect, they said - if you want to use internet, you have to stop using the internet. Or you can use the “bonus” period at 2 am to 8 am. I upgraded to more data and am now spending lots of time trying to manage access to the internet to make it functional. When they strangle the flow, it is unworkable. I will not spend $90 for a few days of decent internet. If Hughes had been transparent about the strengths and limitations of the service, I would have no objections. I would have made an informed choice. However, they were not remotely honest or transparent in their marketing or description of service. And then they impose an excessive cancellation fee to discourage leaving. Until they start being honest about their service, it is largely a fraud.

Thomas
September 20th, 2019 Sylva, NC DETAILS

I would give zero stars if I could. Huges net for 2 days and unable to stream anything due to it constantly trying to load. If you're considering this company, take my advice and just don't!

Sean A.
September 19th, 2019 Stafford, VA DETAILS

Absolutely the worst experience you ever have to pay top dollar for. Like so many others in rural Virginia, I was stuck with Hughesnet or nothing. I should have gone with nothing. Here's the highlights: - Automated subscription service recommended a package that was not conducive to my needs. - $300 installation fee. - $100 a month for 1998 speeds and constant buffering of any videos. - Such bad connectivity and speed that I cancelled ALL streaming services because I was so angry. - Up to 2 minutes for Google Maps to load. - When I called and complained the technician asked if I would be able to fix my own issue..!!! - When I cancelled I got slapped with a $150 early cancellation fee. - I had to climb on my roof and take down their equipment to ship it back to them. DON'T EVER USE THESE SCUMBAG LIAR POSes!!! Singlehandedly the worst of the worst. Their awful service is only outmatched by their terrible customer support. Go outside, get into hunting / fishing / camping. Read a Book. Save your money before using these SOBs!!

Jc
September 18th, 2019 Toccoa, GA DETAILS

Beware subscriber. This is the worst internet provider I have ever been with. The speeds are slower than slow then when the data cap is added there is no using the internet because it then has no speed. I have been with them for a year and I should have cancelled after install.

Tish Davis
September 11th, 2019 Vinton, LA DETAILS

Only giving one star because no star is not an option. Cancelled service the next day because we couldn’t watch a movie without it buffering. Called and was told no problem just send the modem back with no cancellation fee. Perfect. Right? No now 2 months later we are charged $220.40 for not returning equipment? They failed to mention that the piece from the satellite needed to be returned as well. Called and they said with a tracking number they will refund our money within 2-5 business days. So the funds for my bills I had scheduled to come out came back NSF-(3) $90, shipping for the piece off the satellite $34. Called and gave them the tracking number and was told to call back within 24-48 hours. Call back and they said it will be refunded on the next billing cycle on October 3rd. Funny how we are not in a contract therefore have no cycle dates, 2 technicians told me we would receive our money in no later than a week and now the manager says it will be a month and I’ll have to call them back and remind them. DO NOT BE FOOLED! They know their service is no good but just want the sales numbers. Shame on you and how you do business and lie and steal!

Vina
September 9th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV

Very bad customer service, I spoke to Jose and he needs to take a customer service class!! Hire new reps if you would like business!! Consider this 1 star a zero!!

Michelle Dobies
September 6th, 2019 Harrington, DE DETAILS

Unfortunately hughesnet is the only internet offered in my area. Giving it one star was my only option as well. If there was a choice of zero that's what I would rate it. The representative will tell you this is better then nothing and my opinion nothing is better. They will also tell you that there $49.95 package is plenty for your needs which is also a lie. I had to upgrade $20.00 more dollars and still not enough. I pay my bill on the 26th of every month and my 11 year old son, who is the only one using the internet, is out within 3 days. I can't wait until my contract is over because this is highway robbery. So don't get fooled and stuck in a contract that I can guarantee your gonna deny.

Fernando
September 4th, 2019 Rio Rico, AZ DETAILS

Do not get HughesNet for your home internet. You will use up all of your data in a very short period, faster then normal use. Trust me. I have tested all my devices (4 cell phones and one tablet). HughesNet only gives you one hour of streaming per day while your data last, all combined. Within a week you'll run out. I used their app to monitor my data. I was surprised to find out I was using data while no devices were connected. Not worth the promises they offer. This to me is a scam. Horrible for video chat and useless for gaming. For movies, you must stream it on the lowest resolution. The bottom line is HughesNet is not for streaming. I call customer service and no one seemed to know how to handle my concerns. One representative told me that I shouldn't have chosen HughesNet and insinuated it was my fault. Another representative told me I had purchased the cheapest plan they offered and suggested I buy more data. Nothing is unlimited like they advertise. Its limited alright. Don't be fooled. The fast internet they promise goes away fast. Trust me. You will be locked in for 24 months and if you cancel you will be charged almost $600 plus you will be responsible for returning the equipment once you get it off the roof or be charged another $300. In closing, DO NOT GET HUGHESNET. Look for a better options.

nicole grant
August 21st, 2019 Fellsmere, FL DETAILS

they lie to get you to hook service up then its not what you wanted then want to charge 400.00 disconnection fee don't get you will regret it trust me and all other people they did it to already

Mary E Messere
August 20th, 2019 Dunkirk, NY DETAILS

hughesnet never tells you that you have to climb up on your roof to retrieve the"radio" from their satellite dish or they charge you $200.00. When I told them that I was 70 years old with no one to climb up and get it their reply was...then it will cost you $125.00 for a technician to come and remove it. They said that I would have to be there form 3 hours and wait for the technician. i explained to them that i had moved to another town and that the house was empty. It didn't matter. Now i am going to be penalized $200.00!

Benita
August 16th, 2019 Kellyville, OK DETAILS

HughesNet is a horrible company to deal with. We live in the country and we were told we would have plenty of data and never run out between months. Well we were out st 3 days. We have tried to cancel with no fees for a year and no response. We have an internet service now that works 200 percent better. Company service is not a priority with this company. I will never recommend them to anyone as long as I live!

Vern
August 16th, 2019 Waconia, MN DETAILS

We have only been with them eight days but we found out their WiFi interferes with our phones, people report we are breaking up. When we receive a call I have to turn off WiFi in settings for the call to work. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with them and they know all about the problem, they have a fix, for $20 per month you can use their phone service. They offered all kinds of deals. I said i’d Like to cancel service they said there’s a $400 fee to cancel. I took their phone service but i’m Thinking I might have made a bad decision.

karl ashenbrenner
August 8th, 2019 Juneau, AK DETAILS

Having a remote cabin in Alaska we are stuck with using hughesnet, however when we are not at the cabin the generators are turned off as is the modem....now showing we used 8.8gb even though the cabin has been shut down for weeks. Hughesnet says it is on our end, HOW can that be when the generators and modem are all shut off???

Joe robb
August 1st, 2019 DETAILS

gentlemen, thanks for the unbelievably pitiful customer service. This whole situation borders on hilarity.Installation on feb 2 and as of the 19th-a total of 30 minutes working internet.I have spoken with 21 people in your organization from pakistan to south florida to louisiana and received only IM SORRY but in the end- no help.All I wanted was a working dish.Just a clear view of the southern sky and everything will be wonderful.What a joke.I have logged over 11 hours either on hold or hearing promises that were just lies from jason pranjali jennifer max pax ronnie alex after 8 days and 3 messages finally got a call from Russ chris haley another different Alex shawn john fonika(a funtional idiot) residio another different john barbarisha langley and in your advanced tech-a dude named thomas hoyt whom after being on hold for 20 minutes waiting for him to finish his coffee and donut was too much of a pussy to even speak with me-actully refused to talk! This is so outragous -you cant even make this stuff up! Ive cancelled the service yesterday and unbelievably today I received a bill on my credit card for a months service. Gentlemen ,get a grip on this situation or I'll be forced to involve the better buisiness beaurou(sp) all I wanted was internet service-service is apparently not in the hughesnet vocabulary. feel free to call-though I know you wont

Jesus Alfonso GONZALEZ
July 19th, 2019 Monroe, WA DETAILS

I only last it for two months with them, very slow, can not use more than 4 devices, including my alarm system in my home. after one day using Netflix, IT run out the entire 20GB they say. they told me it can handle 14 devises at the same time , belony. I decided to pay the $400.00 and dump them. I won't be surprise , that a class action against them is coming soon.

Max Breisse
July 17th, 2019 Katy, TX DETAILS

this company always looking for excuses to resolve your issues, they tide you up with a contract and they avoid to let you go at any cost, they don't care if you are not having the services you need. I regretted to sign with this company and I'm suffering from the service and paying the full bill. I don't recommend to anyone regardless of the offer to sign with them.

Frankie
June 24th, 2019 DETAILS

Expensive and data goes fast

justin
June 21st, 2019 Eight Mile, AL DETAILS

they have data limits, which i hate. feel like i have to monitor my viewing habits to make sure i don't exceed. They don't charge more , they slow down my MPS. the speed is not consistent.

T
June 21st, 2019 DETAILS

Performance is awful! I hardly use anything and I run out of time and get reduced. My internet phone does not work. does not work

Dale
June 18th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

My brother lives in Ohio. I ordered Hughes net for him to allow internet connection. After a year went by the trees on his property and the ones next door started to really grow mainly because of the rain. The Hughes net people called and said the signal was bad so they sent out a service person. They said they can reposition if but it will not last long because of the trees. My brother had DIRECTV and it went out because of the bad signal and he had to get rid of the Direct TV. Then we called Dish Network for TV and they said they could not get a strong signal. So, I ordered cable and got both TV and Internet. That meant I would no longer need Hughes net for Internet service. I called and talked to a person in the Philippines. They said I would have to pay $190 as a termination fee. I explained everything as I said above. I said the signal did not allow me to continue. He said he could waive $90 but I had to pay $100. I asked him to look up the property on Google and see that he is surrounded by trees. He did and agreed that was probably the problem but he could not help. My brother is 82 years old and I am 72. $100 is a lot of money for either my brother or me. It is a shame Hughes net treats senior citizens this way.

Lauren
June 18th, 2019 Marshfield, MO DETAILS

Hughesnet is the worst internet service provider. The are the most Stupid, incompetent idiots ever. It never works. And then when you call and complain, they act like you're the stupid one. Hey Hughesnet only an idiot wouldn't know where to find the search bar in google. If you like paying for internet that never works, then Hughesnet is perfect for you.

Taylor
June 10th, 2019 Brandon, MS DETAILS

Hughes net is horrible and It is super slow. I am 12 years old. I can't download my games and I can't even do my homework sometimes, it is truly not kids friendly. I do not recommend if you have kids.

Michael Willis
June 10th, 2019 West, TX DETAILS

Never worked well from day one. (I was told you can stream movies it works so well) laughable at best, this internet won’t even work Facebook. Then to top it off when you cancel you get disgusted with the cancellation fees! Do your self a favor and don’t ever use this company your better off making your phone a hotspot for $20.00 a month

Amanda
May 31st, 2019 Corinth, MS DETAILS

I tried HughesNet as a part of a package through Dish. As I was on the phone with HughesNet I let them know I was not sure it was sufficient enough for my family because of the speed and GB allotted each month. The sales person told me I could try it for 30 days and if I cancelled before 30 days was up it wouldn't be charged any kind of fees related to cancellation and that I would only be charged for the month of service we used and install. This was an outright lie! We received service on March the 16th. It was very slow and we used up the GB before the month was up. I called to cancel on April the 11th. They were trying to charge me $400 and told me to send back the equipment or pay for it. I argued that when I signed up I would not be charged any kind of cancellation fees. They told me after over an hour of disputing this while telling me they have no 30 day policy they would do me a "favor" and waive the $400 termination fee and equipment fee. They told me not to worry about sending back the equipment either and I would not be charged for it. I played for the installation and month of service we used. I told them that they better not charge my card for anything else after I gave it to them because the whole situation seemed VERY shady. I was told on the phone that we were square and our account was closed and paid in full. On Friday, May the 24th, Hughes Net stole from my bank account $868.25 without my authorization. I was not set up for auto bill pay or anything like that. I used my card with them once which they stated the could charge it whenever and for however much they wanted without any notification. They completely cleaned out my checking account with out warning, phone call, or mail. I did receive an email that had no bill attached and all i stated was I owed $868.27. I didn't even notice the email because I wasn't expecting one from them. I accessed my account to Hughes Net and saw a bill that was generated on May 15th. They attempted to charge my card the very same day for the whole $868.27. Even if the bill was correct and I owed that amount, which I DO NOT just to be clear, the bill online states it wasn't due until June the 14th however they tried to charge my card the very same day the bill was generated. They attempted to charge my card one sometimes two times a day all the way up to Friday May the 24th. I was not aware they were attempting this since the charges were not going through until this past Friday when I unlocked my card and they were able to debit my card for the full $868.27. Needless to say I was livid that they did this after repeatedly telling me that my account was closed and the account was paid in full. Never once did they tell me "Oh by the way, we are going to charge you $868.27 for your loss than one month of service". I was very angry about this and called Hughes Net yesterday. I was reapetedly transferred to different departments explaining the situation each time I was transferred which was very very annoying. When I supposedly got to the correct department which was the collections dept. I discussed the situation with and told them that the sales rep told me if I signed up with them and it did not fit my needs that if I cancelled before the first 30 days were up I would not be charged any fees for cancelling and only charged for the setup and month we used. It was VERY OBVIOUS they did not know what the charge was for and I kept asking them what the details were for this charge of $868 were and they could not tell me. They gave me like four different reasons as to why they charged this amount like the early termination fee, equipment, etc... They also told me they do not offer to charge no fees when you cancel service after 30 days. I told her they told me this when I signed up and I never would have signed up if they did not offer this Luckily I got a reference number when I cancelled showing that they waived these fees and the they come up with something called any early lease termination fee. I kept asking them for a detailed copy of this bill where it shows how they came up with the $868 figure or at least communicate it through the phone and they could not/would not do it because I told them the bill online does not show anything it just states 868 for a Charge. I asked them to speak to a supervisor and the woman I was speaking to kept giving excuses to keep me from talking to the supervisor like they are just going to tell me the same thing. I had to raise my voice and get belligerent so the she finally placed me on hold to get the supervisor. She kept coming back and saying they were busy. She came back a final time after about 30 minutes of being on hold and told me that it would be a long time before I was able to speak to a supervisor. I was SO MAD at this point as it was so clearly evident they were doing this on purpose. I told them they did not have authorization to make this charge of 868 and I would be discussing my charge with the bank and hung up. I called Bank of America to dispute the charge. Bank of America's wait times yesterday were very long. As I was waiting I decided to Google and see if there was a before 30 day cancellation policy because I felt that they were lying about the fact that they offer no such agreement. Look and behold on their legal/terms of service portion of THEIR WEBSITE http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-between-07-01-08-and-09-01-08.cfm, they say they do offer no fees if cancelled within the initial 30 day period. Once I saw this I immediately hung up the phone with BOA because of the wait time and called back Hughes Net. Once again I was transferred all over the place until I was transferred to to the incompetent collection department. I once again had to explain the entire situation again to the new CS rep. I would like to point out that the reps from this department which is hard to describe but they talk in a very monotone voice and just seem like they do not care about anything at all. This rep gave me the same BS as to why they charged me. This rep actually gave me one other reason as to why they charged me. I once again asked her for they details of the charge which she danced around and could not give me on the phone or in print. I once again told her that when I signed up they told me about the 30 day cancellation policy and that I never would have signed up had I known they would charge me 868 for whatever reason for cancelling. She told me once again there was no such policy. I told her it is in print on the legal / terms of service page located ON THEIR WEBSITE!!! She actually asked me for the URL where it stated this. I was completely dumbfounded. It was totally unbelievable that the collections department doesn't know their cancellation policies and where it is stated on their own website. I was speechless but proceeded to direct her to the page I saw. She put me on hold like I had been 1000 times before with this company to "discuss" with her supervisor. After about 5 minutes someone gets back on the phone and it is the first CS rep I spoke to initially. I was so mad my voice stayed permanently raised for the remainder of the time I was on the phone. The first CS rep said I told you that the lease termination. She was completely ignoring the page I had given them about cancelling in the first 30 days. I told her she flat out lied to me about this. She was completely ignoring what I was saying and kept trying to talk over me. I kept asking for a supervisor. She wouldn't flat out tell me no but it was flat out obvious at this point she wasn't letting that happen. I had to get to the point of basically screaming to get her to put me on hold just to check and see if I could talk to the supervisor. This is not the most unbelievable part. The part of the conversation that was the most unbelievable is when they returned the same lady that I was screaming at came back on the phone and stated she was the supervisor. I was in amazement how a company the size of Hughes Net was operating. At this point I had spent a total of 6 hours trying to get this rectified. Throughout this entire ordeal they kept offering me a credit.They would put me on hold to talk to the "mythical supervisor" and then offer me a credit. At first it was $200, the $300, then $400, then when I talked to the phony supervisor she offered me $500 credit. Each time they would offer me a credit they would state we will do you a "favor". This seemed very much a part of their traning to say this however I told them they are not doing me a solid when i want supposed to be charged in the first place. I was so disgusted and so sick of talking to these people I just took the $500. I proceeded one last time to find out the details of what these charges were for. She kept stumbling around the question. Only when I became belligerent with the "supervisor" to get answer I think she was just getting tired of talking to me and told me they do not have access to the billing details and that I would have to talk to billing to get the details. I was in shock at this point. I took the $500 credit. I just thought to myself why would they offer anything if they did not fraudulently do this? They transferred me to billing who handles they credit. I once again explained the situation AGAIN since the "supervisor" said they can see the billing details. Once I was finished explaining thing and the madness of their customer service he calmly said oh I can pull that up. He seemed very sympathetic to my cause. He pulled it up and said the bill was for 2nd month cancellation. I was like OH MY GOD! I told him I cancelled within the first month. He seemed a bit confused why I was billed and he said he would need to go discuss this with his supervisor. Now this entire time I have been on the phone with these crazy customer service reps every time they go and speak to their "supervisor" they come back with an answer that I dont like and when you try to speak with this mythical supervisor that they JUST spoke to they deflect, deflect, deflect. This was no different. The billing guy came back and his empathetic ear changed. He said oh it was an early termination fee. I proceeded to say no, no, no. There was not supposed to be a termination fee. He also said that his supervisor asks where I saw this 30 termination clause. Now it is one thing for a customer service drone not know about what is clearly printed about cancellations. It is a totally mind blowing situation for a supervisor in the BILLING DEPARTMENT not to know what their cancellation policy is. I was physically drained at this point. I had no fight left in me. I believe it is policy to just wear you down when there is a billing dispute and along the way offering credit so I guess my 7 hours of time spent on the phone with them was worth $500. I asked the guy in the billing dept if this is a refund of $500 or if they are just going to credit my closed account with a zero balance and of course he did not have the answer to that and would need to transfer me BACK to the collections department to figure that out. I think my BP rose to unhealthy levels during this whole ordeal and dont think my heart could take another conversation with those people. So I said no thanks and that I would wait and see if it went back into my bank however I'm pretty sure they just put a credit on my closed account because when I log in it had a balance of -$500. In summary, stay VERY FAR away from HughesNet. If you no choice and have to sign up for their service then dont use your debit card with them for anything like paying a bill or setting up service because according to them they can charge it at anytime without your authorization. I am a pretty easy going person and dont get frustrated easily but this company's reps sent my frustration levels through the roof. I have never been lied to by a company as blatantly as this one. As a matter of fact this is the only company I have ever dealt with that has lied and been so overly deceptive to the point of questioning whether I was being punked or not. They are also thieves and when you call them out they try and barter with you in order to keep from maybe doing a charge back. I took the $500 in case BOA is unable to retrieve the money for me. Since this is a large company I'm not sure if they will be able to. I may have screwed myself by accepting the $500. My advice to anyone thinking about using them is to stay very far away. Otherwise if you cancel within a month you will be paying 868 + one month of service + installation, which amounts to over $1000 for one month of service. I tried to login to my account this morning to retrieve my bill and they have completely deleted access my Hughes Net account and have made me unable to access any information about my bill. I believe they have done this to prevent me to do a charge back through my bank. This is so unbelievable the measures they take to steal from people. I would not believe this could happen unless it happened to me personally. This is the most unethical and worst company I've ever dealt with both personally and professionally. This company's business practices needs to be investigated. Please forgive in advance any typos in this review.

Janelle
May 22nd, 2019 Carbondale, CO DETAILS

Expensive, slow, bundled home line -- terrible! Can't wait to get rid of this.

Phil
May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Slow internet, high prices but little choice in area

ELIZA BALISACAN
May 20th, 2019 Longview, TX DETAILS

THIS IS THE WORST INTERNET CO. THEY ARE EXTREMELY SLOW. THEY LIE ABOUT BEING UNLIMITED THEY ABSOLUTELY ARE NOT UNLIMITED THEN I WAS NOT AWARE OF A CONTRACT THEY TOLD ME WHEN I TOLD THEM I WOULD NOT GET INTERNET THAT HAS A CONTRACT THEY TOLD ME THAT I DIDNT HAVE TO GET A CONTRACT I GUESS NOW THAT WAS A LIE JUST TO GET ME TO GET THEY SUCK EXTREMELY SLOW BAD SERVICE I FEEL SOO PLAYED. THEY ARE THEY WORSE SERVICE EVER AND IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME CHECK ON FACE BOOK . DO NOT GET THEIR SERVICE NO MATTER IF THEY LIE TO YOU AND TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN DO MONTH TO MONTH.

mark
May 13th, 2019 Lancaster, CA DETAILS

super slow, sucks, can't wait for contract to end, the problem with this internet is there is a 600ms ping delay this is why you can't use for gaming why because the delay is to slow this is the response speed when you request a page and this is what you should be shopping for is the ping speed not the download speed, so the internet companies can't sell you on this because it varies from house to house so they sell you on download speed that is more constant from house to house its a trick to make money people, so interm you want to find the lowest ping number 5ms (milliseconds) is super fast so hughesnet has a 600ms delay so thats super slow. kinda get it

Dan Golden
May 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

No problems very good so far. I had Spectrum, but for the fact they have raised my monthly payment double

D Goodrich
April 23rd, 2019 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS

I was a Hughesnet costumer for over two years and I felt stuck. I lost signal everytime it drizzled outside, yet there weren't many options for internet in my area. I also felt misled by the sales person when I purchased my package. I explained what I wanted out of my internet service. I specifically said that I stream television shows and movies regularly from my smart television. After streaming TWO movies all of my data was gone. When I called customer service, the representative said I needed to download shows and movies on my lap top after 1am and then connect it to my television if I want to watch it during the day. What! But I am stuck in a contract. I am in the military and transferred to another city after 2 and a half years. I called to cancel my service and asked how to return the equipment. I was told that I didn't need to return the equipment. Then, the representative told me that service was available at my new location and I told them I was going to shop around before committing. I called back the same week and asked them to tell me their best offer so I could compare. They offered the Gen5 but expressed that I would still not have the data amount to support what I wanted in an internet service. They kept saying that they could suspend my account for two months while I thought about it. I told them I no longer wanted their service and the rep said they regretted to lose me as a customer and to have a nice day. They apparently regretted it so much that they DIDN'T lose me as a customer. They have continued to charge me for the past two months. I called customer service and she told me that my service was never disconnected, I actually AM required to return the equipment, and the department I needed to speak to has an hour wait. So try to call again tomorrow. I am flabbergasted. I deploy soon and need the issue resolved as soon as possible. I cannot believe how Hughesnet has treated me. I caution you, DO NOT TRUST THEM.

Jose Quintana
April 12th, 2019 Oberlin, KS DETAILS

The worst internet company ever. We canceled our service way back in November and they continue to take our money and refuse to give it back. An claim we never canceled service. We have email proff we did

Neal
April 12th, 2019 Lomira, WI DETAILS

Worst ever. Stayed with them for over 2 years, upgraded to faster internet paid over $90 month and still couldn't stream anything. Couldn't even use 2 computers at the same time on the internet. Called to complain 2 times, it was still within the contract and they wanted to charge us for someone to come out and work on THEIR equipment, they waived the fee and said they would credit us 1 week each time (because that was how long it took someone to come out and "fix" the problem). We never got a credit, we cancelled our service 3 days into a new billing cycle and they refuse to prorate, insist we will have to pay for the full month even if we don't use it, a supervisor wants to suspend our service for 6 months in order not to pay for the month right now If we still didn't want it in 6 months, we would still have to pay the month at that time. When we said no, he said well he's not waiving the monthly bill and then he HUNG UP ON US. Great customer service there...now my emails for the 2 weeks worth of credit are going unanswered even though they claim to get back with you in24 hours, and that they are there 24/7. Feels like they are trying to run the clock out on us. Just another greedy, scamming company out there that wants to take your money and not deliver on product advertised.

Rose
March 13th, 2019 DETAILS

They are great. No compliants. Service is great and support is wonderful.

Richard