HughesNet Logo

HughesNet

4.8

HughesNet is an internet service provider committed to making its customers' internet experiences the best for more than 40 years. This long history of service has made HughesNet the largest satellite internet network in the country.

HughesNet internet offers download speeds up to 25 Mbps from a satellite network. It focuses on residential internet services.

HughesNet has a great reputation for customer service and has a high rate of customer retention. This reputation helps HughesNet stand out among their competition within the industry.

As a satellite internet provider, HughesNet is often contrasted with its competitor, Viasat (formerly known as Exede Internet).

View Customer HughesNet Reviews

The Good

• Satellite Network
  • Plan Options and Pricing
  • Nationwide Availability
  • Bonus Data

Satellite Network

The technology delivering high-speed internet plans is constantly improving. Consumers can choose several options from their internet providers, such as dial-up service, DSL, cable internet, and fiber-optic broadband.

HughesNet internet has introduced a new type of network using satellite technology. The HughesNet satellite is more than 22,000 miles in space and will receive a signal from the customer's computer.

However, some customers complain that satellite internet service has room for improvement, and they struggle to get a signal. Being at the forefront of internet evolution comes with the risk of service issues, so make sure that satellite internet is the best option for you.

Plan Options and Pricing

HughesNet has one consistent speed across all of its plans: 25 Mbps. The actual speed experienced may vary depending on other external factors. The rates vary based on how much monthly data is included and your area:

• 10 GB – $49.99
  • 20 GB – $59.99
  • 30 GB – $89.99
  • 50 GB – $139.99

However, these rates don't include equipment, which customers pay a monthly fee to lease.

Nationwide Availability

Most broadband ISPs are smaller companies that offer their networks to a focalized region. They generally operate in a few states or in metropolitan areas. Few companies offer widespread service.

HughesNet's satellite service spans the entire country. No matter where you live, you can always access the network. This is a benefit for customers who may move often because they can be confident that their internet will travel with them.

Bonus Data

HughesNet has restrictive data caps, but the good news is customers have access to a bonus 50 GB of data per month when accessed between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. If you plan on surfing late in the evening or early in the morning, this could be beneficial.

The Bad

• Limited Internet Packages
  • Long Contract
  • Slower Speeds
  • Data Allowance
  • Equipment Purchase or Lease

Limited Internet Packages

Most ISPs offer their customers a large selection of internet plans. These packages have a variety of data speeds and features.

This is not the case for any HughesNet plan. They offer limited service plans depending on your area. Pricing also varies depending on your zip code and the data allowance you choose.

If you want to cancel your service contract with HughesNet after installation, expect a termination fee. You will have to return the equipment by mail.

Long Contract

HughesNet's internet service requires a two-year contract, as do some of its competitors in the satellite internet industry. If you want to test how it compares to other broadband internet providers, you'll be locked into a contract for years unless you would like to pay an early termination fee.

However, HughesNet guarantees its price for 12 months, which could be appealing for those who are wary of the notorious price hikes with many service plans.

If you're seeking a month-to-month contract, HughesNet isn't for you.

Slower Speeds

HughesNet's broadband speed is very slow in the industry. Some companies have higher speeds closer to 1 Gbps, but more commonly, the competitive speeds are lower: 75-300 Mbps. HughesNet only offers its customers 25 Mbps. This may be a deterrent if you need a higher download speed.

The upload speeds with HughesNet are not easy to find on their website. This is one of the most frequent customer complaints, and many say they switched from HughesNet to a high-speed internet plan.

The high latency of satellite internet has many users complaining that they struggle to get a signal to their devices. Others say that when they run a speed test they receive a slow speed much lower than their advertised plan. Your devices communicate with the satellite service with a brief half-second delay that makes real-time online gaming impossible.

If you are looking for faster speeds, you may need to look elsewhere.

Data Allowance

HughesNet's data cap could be another downside for potential customers. Other internet service providers also set a data limit for their customers in order to better control their network speeds, but these companies normally don't have limits that are set so low. Some companies provide their customers with unlimited data.

HughesNet's data caps are between 10-50 GB, which limits their customers significantly. However, once you use your data allowance, you can still stay connected at a slower speed free of additional charge. HughesNet only slows down data until the next billing cycle.

HughesNet also has data saver technology that moderates the amount of data used when streaming videos so that your data lasts for a longer period of time.

Equipment Purchase or Lease

If you choose one of HughesNet's internet plans, you can pay upfront to purchase the HughesNet gateway modem, which comes with built in Wi-Fi. Otherwise, you'll have to lease the modem for a monthly fee. The modem is required for HughesNet service. Customers living in rural areas might decide the modem is worth the upfront money.

When initially starting an internet service contract with HughesNet, customers will schedule a technician to install the equipment. Some deals include free installation. Others may charge an installation fee.

The Bottom Line

HughesNet uses broadband satellite to bring its customers a connection. Its satellite network creates a pathway between the customer's computer and the HughesNet servers through a satellite that is thousands of miles up in space.

The speeds currently available through this network are very slow at only 25 Mbps. While this is low compared to high-speed internet, it is much faster than dial-up and may be your best option in a rural area.

Consumers interested in high speed may want to consider other internet options if available in their area, like cable or fiber-optic internet.

HughesNet service options also have little variety. HughesNet would be a good option for customers who live in remote locations, want a reliable connection, and don't mind slower internet speeds.

Call our recommended rep over at HughesNet below.

1.5

Sandra Catherwood Dallas, TX

I think this is the worst service and they have the worst customer service I've had to deal with. My dad is 65 and in and in a wheelchair and they demanded that he get up on the roof and remove the dish himself. That's not going to happen! I was speaking with one of the customer service reps who could barely speak where I could understand them and they had the worst attitude. I asked multiple times to speak with a supervisor or manager and he continued to tell me that he can dispatch someone but at a fee to my dad. Again, nit going to happen. I demanded that he GET ME A SUPERVISOR and he finally did after telling me they'd tell me the same thing. He argued with me for 15 minutes about getting a supervisor, absolutely unprofessional and acceptable! As a General Manager for Hilton Hotels I understand the severity of good customer service, they definitely need to retrain their staff on how to assist a customer! The supervisor did finally waive the fee to have their technician come remove their equipment after 30 minutes more of telling him my dad was in a wheelchair and would not be able to climb on the roof! Thank God that Att can now provide service in the Talty/Terrill area now.

Lotus Smith Albuquerque, NM

They lie to you and lock you into a two year contract. Service is the same as my terrible cell service at the site. Customer service is disappointing to say the least. Huge waste of money. Don't let them fool you. Avoid at all costs, look for other solutions. Does not stream at all. Good for sending an email (hence the cell phone is just as good.).

Silvia Sanchez Ocala, FL

Worse two years contract the service is awful and costumer service WORSE!!you can’t stream and super slow. I’m glad I can cancel my contract and they make you pay 400 dollars to cancel a horrible service. I can’t understand how they still in business. We used a Verizon hot spot. I can used one word to describe this service NIGHTMARE!! I’m glad is over

YoTexasMamma Alamogordo, NM

If I could rate it zero stars I would! This is my dad's only option living in an area that doesn't have high speed internet. Buffering internet every 3-5 minutes? Give me a break! I call to complain and they said he could use an iternet TOKEN to TEMPORARILY speed it up? NO THANK YOU! what a ripoff!!! Are we in the age of dial up AOL? Highway robbery. Then, they said my dad's computer had used up all of his bandwidth for a month by downloading security updates on his pc in ONE hour! Why in this day and age is this allowed in America! Ripping off senior citizens just because they can? Hughes so called "high speed internet" can take their TOKENS and shove them where the sun don't shine !!!!!!

Hap Del Buono

Tried HughesNet 14 years ago and it was horrible. We recently moved to the top of a mountain and sorry to report it hasn't gotten any better. Very slow and we do not download any photos, movies or play games. We disconnect (via computer access) the internet when not in use, so we're not using data as they once claimed why we were so slow. Persistent and constant drop outs, excruciatingly slow with just written data or emails. Often clear sunny days are as bad as you'd expect in storms. Their customer service & tech support do their best trying to convince you there is nothing wrong. They sent a tech out 2x and he reported everything aligned and in perfect working order. Not worth a $1 per year.

Denise Urban Midland, MI

I have been battling them for months to get an unauthorized account out of my name. And they want numbers I can't have because I didn't set up the fake account. Their customer service is terrible and my mom does have their service and it is horrible and internet robbery. Do not recommend Hughesnet!

Craig Columbia, SC

First, I tried to cancel in the first few weeks because the service was so slow and they would not allow me to cancel. So, once you sign up, you are stuck for 3 years unless you want to pay a termination fee. After about 7 months, I paid a $340 termination fee and got out. They lie, lie, lie about the speed. We found it to be very slow, 1 to 2 mbps most of the time. We were told by the installer to not expect much because with the pandemic so many people were on the satellite. We should have stopped at that point. My advice is to skip Hughesnet and use a cellphone provider if you can.

K Saunders Sierra Vista, AZ

I'm sure HughesNet is a fine company but if you live in a remote area and work from home DO NOT expect this to work! AND adding an additional bruise, HughesNet works on a contracted period of service with an early cancellation fee. AND AND they won't remove the equipment they insisted had to be bolted onto your roof. I'M OUT $400 FOR CANCELLING AND A DAMAGED ROOF. I work from home and this was not even adequate for checking bank accounts let alone any video calling or other requirements. I urge you NOT to use HughesNet EVEN AS A LAST RESORT. (p.s. I never write in caps so that should indicate how dissatisfied I am.

TPat Cottage Grove, OR

I called and spoke to a rep who seemed to be nice. that's how I was taken advantage of. she told me that they checked credit worthiness by addresses! anyway, because I had moved many times, she said that I would have to pay cash. My credit is good, I went ahead and paid 400.00. When the technician put up the dish in my backyard, the dish was facing some huge trees that caused interference and continuous buffering. after one month, I could not take it anymore, and they kept getting various people over the phone to get me to try different things to get it to work. I kept telling them that the dish was in the wrong place and should be moved. after many complaints they cancelled my service the same day. and I am stuck with all of the equipment.

Tammo Rancho Cucamonga, CA

HughesNet internet service is GREAT, compared to the DSL I had. It works exactly as advertised. The installation was done as scheduled, done professionally and looks very neat. As for the speed, I couldn't be happier. I get between 18 and 21 MBPS. My DSL only provided 0 .8 - 0.9 MBPS, yes, that was less than one MBPS. I am simply too far from the phone company's Relay Building. So, for my situation, HughesNet is a good answer. I understand that as of this writing (2/8/19) they were still having some technical issue with the Usage Meter application. One consideration for those reading negative reviews where the reviewer is unhappy with the speed. When you go to some website to let's say download a video or other large file, you may think that is no where near 20 MBPS. The webpage or file download is also very dependent on the server that provides the data. If the server is undersized or very busy because of man, many users on it at the same time, that will show up in your download time. That is not your ISP's (like HughesNet) fault. To check the speed, use a speed testing app that is free to use.

Dontcare Rimrock, AZ

This company has horrible service, high prices and the worst customer service I have ever experienced! The customer service rep laughs at your concerns, cancels contracts without permission and refuses to assist the customer. I encourage people to find other service for their area!

Ron Chambless Lefors, TX

Rural area with no other options is why we put up with it. All you have read is true and very frustrating however we can operate our business with it. Just don't expect streaming of any kind, I mean any kind without buffering. Want a ring, well good luck with that. Want to connect your grill to the server nope! They really suck and I look forward to the day when there are other options. They will be gone! but for now its what is available here. We use my phone as a hotspot to watch prime etc..

Jim Sills ,

The Bad... Service is expensive and slow with speeds of 2 mbps rather than 25 mbps. Lost signal in storms and 2 year contract. After completing contract, trying to cancel is a nightmare. Lastly they expect you to climb on two story house with steep roof to remove their radio transmitter or they will charge you $300. The Good... The kid I hired to climb roof did not fall.

Crystal Smith Choctaw, OK

HughesNet is a horrible company. First, when this guy came to my house to hook up the satellite, I told him that I wanted it on the ground not the roof. Well, guess what, he put it on the roof. They don't listen. Plus I barley got anything out of the deal. Every time I tried to watch anything, all it did was buffer. Havent used anything and they suck. Will never do business with them ever again. Just shady company. I know a couple of people have problems with them. Just stay away from these people

Tina H Sidney, MT

Internet cuts out and is way overpriced. Don’t let them lure you in with promos because they won’t let you leave even if your contract is up they will tell you it’s not and charge you $400 to cancel your service. They don’t care how old you are they still require you climb on your roof and dismantle the dish to send back the chip or they charge you for that too.

Kathy Moritz Manchester, NH

If I could give Hughesnet a zero star rating, I would. This company is so disorganized, they gave me a price for service when I signed up and after a year increased the price by $25 per month. When questioned they say they gave me a one year discount. Called after they increased the price and they gave me the discount again. I was never ever aware that I was at a discounted rate. You don't get physical bills, so you cant check and maybe if you can figure out how to navigate their impossible system you may be able to view their charges. After nearly 2 years, I still cant understand their billing. this company is very difficult to deal with, Their systems are a mess and they give you a confirmation number every time you contact them. my phone call today was regarding the day I signed up (nearly 1.5 years ago) and they asked for my confirmation number from that date! I also had two accounts for several months (one on another house i was selling) It took nearly 2 months of stressful phone calls to get Hughesnet to remove their services from the house i sold. I actually had to get the new purchasers to take over the account to terminate the contract to me. Would I recommend Hughesnet? Hell NO

The Mrs. Atlanta, GA

After installing a huge satellite on our roof and poking holes in the side house - the satellite service NEVER WORKED. I spent so many hours online dealing with customer service and was upgraded to engineering. They could not get it to work so after paying for 5 months of service I cancelled. They came and picked up the satellite off our house, left the outside wiring and we were told we would get a credit for the equipment once the radio transmitter was shipped back. Their return packing never arrived so we paid out of pocket to return it to their service center. Never got the credit, which was almost $400. After an infuriating phone call with them today I was told that no - we would not be receiving credit because we purchased the equipment instead of leasing it!? It was so infuriating. How they can keep our money for equipment we no longer have in our possession? THE WORST SERVICE EVER! I'm reporting them to the Public Service Commission. I cannot believe all the money I'm out of pocket for something that never worked.

Tanner Jacobson Missoula, MT

Hughes net is the worst company I have ever gone through in my life. They are absolute con artists. Even after we paid the 350 dollar fee to cancel service and we sent all of the equipment back, we got a notice two months later saying that they had not received the equipment and charged us another 300 dollars. DO NOT put yourself through the headache of dealing with these clowns. None of their services even worked. The reception was so bad we could only stream on the netflix platform and even then it only worked half the time. My devices worked faster if I didn't connect to the wifi in the house. To get out of the contract costs over 300 dollars and then they will hit you with the most ridiculous fees you have heard of. I HATE this company.

Harold K pettis ,

Most horrible 4 day customer experience ever. Would never recommend to anyone. So, so, very slow. It would take 10-20 minutes just to upload a basic pdf file. I would have to disconnect my wifi on my phone to be able to use it. Customet service is horrific, ad well as the service. If you plan on getting hughes net, DONT!

Kurt Rosenthal Lowell, OR

TOTAL BAIT AND SWITCH. Sloooow speeds, terrible customer service, and incompetent technical support. No service guarantee (sell you 25Mbps and you'll be lucky to get 5), yet you are locked in to a two-year service contract. And if you want to cancel, it's $800. Oh, and if it rains ... no service. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

RON BLAKE ,

I have nothing but trouble with Hughes from day one. There is no reason to call them because they will just give you the runaround. Its only good for 2 weeks of the month and even then it is VERY slow and keep losing the wi fi. Then they want to charge you a lot of money to get out. We should a lawyer to get us out of this mess. Any one know a good lawyer, we could all chip in and save us a ton of money. I gave it 1 star only because i could not give them what they deserve, nothing.

Fearlessleader Bloomfield Hills, MI

SLOW!!! I can only recommend them if you have exhausted all other possibilities. Customer service is like dealing with ATT. In other words you will have to spend large amounts of time on the phone with someone you can barely understand. As many others have noted their long term contract is a joke. Fortunately we were finally able to get service using an ATT hotspot. This is also rather expensive but at least we can actually use the internet!

Bradley Layton Nashville, TN

I am with all the other 1 star people with they deserve zero. You will never get advertised speeds. Heck I never say download speeds faster than 750kbs. Also be mindful they will lock you into a 24month contract and charge you $370 to cancel. What's even crazier I elected buy the equipment upfront and they still get you with a contract. So between the cost of both over 1k wasted to find out your not getting the product they promised. There is hope for us rural users with Starlink. I can't wait till these people are out of business so they stop ripping people off.

CrystalRanch ,

First I got them because they said they had service in my area of chehalis. Secondly, I called multiple times with issues of it not working. I'm a business. So, this was a disaster. They could even see data used and when it wasn't. I cancelled service and they charged me a Hefty disconnect fee and threw me into collections. Absurd! You promised my business a service you couldn't deliver. I paid for my install and tried them out but they didn't care about me or anything but Contract. Thieves. Terrible company terrible customer service.

Jay Holzem Hardinsburg, IN

HughesNet Internet is so slow because they oversold their bandwidth, has too many customers which they can't serve, uses a limited number of geosynchronous satellites, and due to their monthly data cap. HughesNet provides inconsistent, slow, and frustrating service. Absolutely the worst service I have ever had. I can't even use it most of the time despite multiple techs calls and service calls.

William Marble Falls, TX

HughesNet is a terrible company . I have been a customer for over 5 plus years cause they were the only service available. I recently found another company that offers a way better service. I called customer service today to cancel my contract when it is up and they want to charge me a 100 dollar cancellation fee. Also they expect my 70 year old husband to climb on top of the roof and get a part off the satellite. Please don’t use them keep searching

NcGirl Apex, NC

We are currently an unfortunate pay customer. The following is a letter I just wrote to HughesNet. It sums up my review. I want to know the the best way to cancel my service ASAP. We have had this service since the first of October and have been overwhelmed with problems. First of all not one time did I sign a contract; Second of all i have contacted tech representives multiple times to solve our problems. PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR REFERENCE NUMBER because as soon as the chat became to complicated the tech would stop responding and end the chat; I spent well over 3 hours one evening with tech support. Finally one said turn off video settings, That seemed to "fix" the problem. I kept a check on the usuage i was very viligent in monitoring it. UNBEKNOWN to me the first month was "free" because the second month (NOVEMBER) we ran out with 2 weeks left of the month. I then upgraded to the highest amount of data you provide. I have keep everything that sucks up data OFF. We have become PRISONERS of HUGHESNET because no longer do we listen to our music, watch tv, Have the top of the line securtity system; the use of google lights... NO we have lowered our security settings to the lowest possibe settings, we no longer stream music No computer use; no ipad use and i bought an antenna to watch tv with, EVEN THOUGH we are subscribed to several different streaming channels. IT is beyond mindboggling!!!! While this service was being put in I talked to the representive about our security system; streaming channels, streaming music, etc. and was reassured it wouldn't be a problem. SURE IT IS NOT A PROBLEM if you don't USE ANY OF THE ABOVE. I will have our solider home for christmas from deployment, he will want to finally use the internet, finally play his video games, however HUGHESNET is going to make one of our military personnel MISS OUT on the opportunity of this enjoyment because with all the cut backs i have made already I am currently at less than 13gb of data left for the MONTH of December and it is currently the 11th of December that is 20days left to SQUEEZE out 13GB. WE WANT OUT OF THE CONTRACT ASAP. YOU CAN HAVE YOUR EQUPIMENT. I DON'T EXPECT A ETF IS REQUIRED DUE TO THE MISREPRESENTATION THAT interenet would be provided. also after reading that there isn't a REAL reason for data caps it is the SATELLITE companies have been pushed by others to stop capping out data. I would like a response on how to get out of this contract ASAP!!!

sandduffer Forest Lake, MN

I got Hughesnet after a hurricane hit our area. Our Suddenlink provider was rumored to be down for months. So I got this worthless package. I called and tried to cancel but the woman online said I would be charged 400 dollars for breaking my contract. This was a half-truth. You do get charged 400 dollars, but you get 300 back after the equipment is returned in the first 30 days. So, not very honest! I am now stuck in a 2-year contract. The download speed on movies on youtube is horrible. Very Frustrating. They (H.N.) suggested I get an extender to improve my signal. That cost me 50 dollars! A little better but much. Sometimes I think no service would be better than Hughesnet!

Linda Buffalo Grove, IL

We have a cabin in a rural area of WI with no broadband internet options. We decided to give HughesNet a try as they had a cancellation policy with the special package we signed up for. They came to install the satellite and modem on March 14. We experienced delay issues immediately streaming Prime videos. We contacted with concerns and service also contacted us that they saw performance issues on their end. Wisconsin issued a "stay in place" order on March 24-May 26 so the proposed service could not be completed until June. The service occurred on a day where we left to go back to our home and was not onsite to use service. I had been assured that HughesNet would take these COVID issues into consideration. We came back in July and the service was still poor. We called and complained and asked for the service to be terminated. The customer service representative suspended the service which didn't make sense to me at the time but was assured I would not be paying for the service or the cancellation fee. It is now October and we felt HughesNet should have it's equipment back so called to ask how to send it back. They said the service would then be terminated and we would pay the cancellation fee of $370.00 plus another $15 fee. They said if technical service confirmed our concern they would waive the fee. We talked to tech services and they said they would need to send a technician. This seemed a waste of time and resources so we said no please terminate the service as requested in July. They did terminate but said they would charge the cancellation fee. We asked the record reflect we disputed the claim. They have changed our credit card and we have disputed the claim with the credit card company. I told them that I was contacting the BBB about their deceptive and horrible service.

Mike Bradley Issaquah, WA

So, I live in a rural area. My current provider can only deliver 6 mbps. Very slow for my needs, but beggars can't be choosers. Today I decided beggars can be choosers, as long is there is another possible option. The other option for me was HughesNet. So I gave them a call. I was connected to a very nice customer service rep. She was able to answer most of my questions and made a very good offer for installation and internet service. I explained I wanted to share all the information with my wife and would call them back if we both agreed that was the best option. She then transferred me to her manager. He was a whiz that was able to answer every question I had in detail. I felt good about moving forward with them. However, I still wanted to discuss the issue with my wife so we could make a decision we both agreed upon. It was then that the very high pressure sales tactics began. I felt like I was trapped in a time share sales office with no doors out. He literally would not let me off the phone without making a commitment. I told him I needed to get off the phone and he said I can't let you do that. I actually felt I had no other option other than to hang up. Which I did. I will not use their service. They had the sale and high pressure tactics lost it.

Kim Sannes Colorado Springs, CO

Worst internet service ever!! I have never had such a horrible experience with an internet provider. I have a property in Brevard NC, but I live in Colorida. I was not sure what internet to use so I called Hughes Net and specifically asked about contracts etc. I was told not contract was necessary so I set up a time when I was in Brevard to get service connected. I specifically said, I have a cabin in the mountains and don't want the dish to block any views. They rescheduled and I told them it was not a time I could meet them. They said ok...not a problem...when I was not at property, they installed a huge dish in front of my deck blocking the view! I was shocked and I called the number. It took me 1.5 hours to talk to a real person. horrible horrible cutomer service. I asked them to move the dish. The internet service was slow and intermittent. I called again to find out why it was so terrible...again over 1 hour to talk to anyone and kept getting hung up on. I drove to their address that was on their website and it was an old abandoned building. Total scam company. I finally talked to someone the next day after again a very long and painful wait...I told them the service was terrible, the connection was terrible--they gave me no solution and then told me I was locked into a contract! I only had the service for a few days and could not get onto the internet. I had not signed anything and had not been told or agreed to a contract. I finally --after fighting with customer servcei on phone--that they would come move the dish so it was not in front of my deck! I was so fed up and found out about the internet provider that was a reliable provider and retunred my calls etc... When Hughes net finally came to move dish I told them I did not want their service and take the dish. I had so much trouble with tech about taking the dish...he said oh, they will make you pay if you try and cancel...He agreed to take the dish but would not take the other equipment and said I would have to wait for a box from hughes net to ship it back. I shipped the equipment that day--receipt return mail and took pictures of everything I shipped. I called --again over a nhour long wait --and finally talked to a person and argued over cancelling thieir service. The Hughes net agreed to cancel my service and said I would owe $0.00. I asked for an email and received an email with thsi confirmation of a $0 balance. That was June 28, 2020 -I received an email on August 11 stating I owed $125... I sent an email back with the attached $0 balance email confirmation and cancellation letter. I just received a credit collector document in the mail. Unbelievable...now I have to fight it out with them. But I have the documentation. This is the Worst company ever!! Comporium is the internet service to use in Brevard, NC. Stay away from HughesNet. so terrible.

Amy Heimann

I live in the sticks, and the only way to have internet is via satellite. Hughes seems to work well. It does get a little spotty if there is torrential rain, but otherwise has worked well for the six months that I've had it.

Kate Gregory Pleasant Grove, UT

We got Hughesnet while we lived in Texas. We signed a 2 year contract and ended up moving shortly after. We lived in a short-term rental and they suspended our contract 6 months because internet was provided. We were not charged moving costs, but we paid for 3 months of unused internet because they would not suspend it any longer. When we set it up on a new state, they wanted to restart our contract. I refused, so they stayed with the original agreement. I felt that it was unethical trying to extend the contract when we had already been paying for nothing. Our internet was fine for 6 months, but apparently the dish was moved during a storm and the internet was slow. I called because it wasn't working well and customer service said that we would have to pay $125 for a technician to come out and make the internet work well again. I said that was too much money for something we didn't do so she waived the fee. Our internet is working well again, bit my overall experience had not been great.

Joshua Hall , CO

I was misled by a sales rep into thinking that Hughesnet would work with my company's systems so I could work from home. Then, when it didn't work as advertised, they would not let me out of my 2 year contact but charged me $400.

Mitchell Holland Davis, IL

My experience with Hughesnet is equivalent to trying to enjoy chugging 5 gallons of week old hotdog water. Absolutely awful! If you're thinking about getting this provider spin around and punch yourself in the face and wake up please. No internet is 1000 times better than using this trash they try to sell as internet!

maxz Atlanta, GA

Never worked. Speed is very very slow. Persistent sales people trying to keep you stay by offering discount. Horrible. They want their equipment back. They won't come to get it. They want you to climb to the roof to get the transmitter when your contract expires. Or, they will charge you $300 if you don't sent the equipment back to them.

Kris Doniphan, MO

They are horrible. They are exceptionally trained experts at wearing you down. Typical response is “ I apologize that an employee at HughesNet gave you incorrect information. “. There needs to be a zero star option for this company.

Chuck Adams River Falls, WI

Please don't fall for their dishonest sales pitch! You have to agree to pay them, but they don't have to provide any kind of service at all, nothing is guaranteed on their end! You can call them daily, listen to their BS, but nothing changes. It is probably the weather, a flock of birds in the same county, solar activity, dust in the atmosphere, Russians hacking the internet, but it is always too bad so sad!

Kadin and Kea Baker O'Fallon, MO

Slow internet service. When the internet went down we asked for a technician to come out they were going to charge us to come fix their equipment. we contacted them a several times about the slow internet speed. bad product and bad customer service. if there were a 0 star option I would give it to them. Cancelled my service after a year. well worth the cancelation fee. I was paying apt $100 a month for terrible internet that didn't work half of the time.

Ronnie K Marysville, MT

Got Huges net because Dish said that it would me so much faster . I was a Dish customer and still use there dish fir TV for the last 14 years . I should have never switched Huges is the worst system ever . I can't even watch a Youtube video without buffering 10 time I tried to stream a 1 hour show and it to over 2 hours to watch . PLEASE DON'T GET HUGES NET They also say in there ads the price is $59 dollars but not you pay another $14 in equipment every monty . They say this sucker coming a mile away just warning you !

Matthew Shepherd Tampa, FL

By far the worst internet you good possibly get . If you go with this company Beware. Very expensive. I have 4 kids that are doing there schooling from home and with in 2 weeks the Data Runs out and we are forced to keep buying more data throughout the rest of the month. Average internet bill is $250 a month and we do not stream movies or tv. I tried to cancel but they will charge 400 dollars to end contract.

Ripped off Phoenix, AZ

They are liars and dishonest in their data speeds. They block emails which affects commerce. 1-2 BYTES per second email download is frequent and fully documented by this party. If you file a complaint as I have, your speed of data transfer goes even slower. They do get even! Avoid this company like the plague! ! Am setting up a class action law suit this month. Am fed up with these liars!

Hotel CA Minneapolis, MN

Service was mediocre at best. Absolutely the WORST customer service, reps and cancelation process. You have to call in to cancel. LONG wait times to talk to a rep (in a foreign country) that can't cancel service and seems unable to reach anyone else to do it. When I told him it was bull crap, he hung up. THEN he kept calling me and hanging up over and over and over and over and over... I called hoping to get a different rep. Same guy. Refused to connect me to a supervisor. It took over 2 hours to cancel their crap service. Then I received the equipment return box/ instructions. They actually expect customers to remove the raio from the satellite dish on the roof! WTF! STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL CALIFORNIA company. GETTING RID OF THEM IS A NIGHTMARE!

Mary Basham Elkridge, MD

When I called someone by the name Chad answered I explained I need internet for my 3 kids to do online learning due to the cornovirus and the day before I had called to price what it would be and they said I'd have to pay 409.90 for installation and equipment and I asked since no one else offers internet can they wave the fee he laughs says no if someone told you that yesterday I'm gone tell you the same thing and since this is your 2nd call its gone cost you more because we only offer discounts and promotions to 1st time callers so if you call back after this your going to dig yourself a deeper hole. This is the rudest person without any compassion I am very discouraged with this company don't recommend them to anyone. Now I have no way to provide my children with Internet

Ra Howell Springtown, TX

Hughes Net has signs in our neighborhood for high speed internet. I called and explained that we had poor signal from our current provider. I was told that if the satellite did not work we could get a full refund after returning the equipment within 30 days. The installer also told me if I was not satisfied we would get a full refund one the equipment was returned. From the time it was installed it did not carry enough strength to support even Netflix. We returned the equipment in the box Hughes Net provided before the 30 days. But we did not get a refund. After calling Hughes Net and talking to several representatives (and being hung up on many times) we were told that they do not have a return policy like that and never have. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and was told that Hughes Net claims it is a legitimate charge. It was a terrible experience and I had to eat the cost.

Tval Atlanta, GA

We just cancelled our service after 18 months. Our speeds even according to the HughesNet folks were 1-3Mbps, and in the final months the service would drop out altogether so that I had to physically unplug the internet cable to reset our connection - multiple times per day! We finally found a local company that offered (and delivered) better service and speeds, and had them come out and set us up. When we called to cancel our HughesNet (non)-service we found that they had automatically signed us up for a second year-long contract and we had to pay $250 just to cancel! A fine for cancelling within the first year might be understandable but this is just spiteful. I guess they had to wring as much money out of us as they could. At least we have much better internet service now. Good riddance!

M. Johnson Adel, GA

The WiFi itself wasn't so bad. i didn't like that they use the same download speed no matter what price your paying. also my bad experience was canceling. they charge you a fee for canceling your contract. the problem is for me, it seemed my free was never going down no matter how close it was to my contact end. i ended up paying the fee i sent then all the equipment i knew of. months later they charge my card $200. staying i didn't send them everything. it turned out to be a piece on the satellite that i had to literally have someone to get tools to take it off. not to mention that YOU have to pay to ship this stuff back. why wouldn't they make site you know about that piece from the start? they are sneaky and hope you don't notice they extra charge. so now i have to payyet another shipping charge to send this part. which isn't normal. you usually just send back the modem and cables . not to mention they didn't even want to send me a box to send it back. i don't recommend this company at all

Jim von Stein Blue River, OR

Do not sign up for HughesNet if you have any other options. Customer service is spotty - depending on who they send, it might be good, or not. Although they advertise 25 Mb, Speedtest has not shown a download speed above 0.5 Mb in months, and they appear to have disabled the speed test function on their portal. At times, the service is so slow as to be effectively unusable.

Terri Wright Canton, MI

Upon installation at an astronomical cost of around $600, I couldn't get up/download speeds that were over 5 mbps. I cancelled immediately and I'm still unsure of the amount of refund I can get back. I know for fact $205 they kept for "installation fees." And talking with customer service to cancel makes me feel downright sad for their employees. This is the second time in over 15 years I've tried HughesNet and would never ever recommend them. Get a hotspot non-contractual and move on without blinking.

Ray Fitzgerald ,

Do not sign up for HughesNet. It is a straight up rip off. They promise you the world and gives you very little. They offer very little bandwidth for the money. The slightest cloud coverage will knock their service out all together. When you tire of the poor service they charge you an outrageous cancellation fee. Trust me it's not worth the headaches when there are better options out there now like broadbandqwireless. For most people lte offers a much better option.