HughesNet Logo

HughesNet

3.8

LAST UPDATED: December 4th, 2022

HughesNet is an internet service provider committed to making its customers' internet experiences the best for more than 40 years. This long history of service has made HughesNet the largest satellite internet network in the country.

HughesNet internet offers download speeds up to 25 Mbps from a satellite network. It focuses on residential internet services.

HughesNet has a great reputation for customer service and has a high rate of customer retention. This reputation helps HughesNet stand out among their competition within the industry.

As a satellite internet provider, HughesNet is often contrasted with its competitor, Viasat (formerly known as Exede Internet).

View Customer HughesNet Reviews

The Good

• Satellite Network
  • Plan Options and Pricing
  • Nationwide Availability
  • Bonus Data

Satellite Network

The technology delivering high-speed internet plans is constantly improving. Consumers can choose several options from their internet providers, such as dial-up service, DSL, cable internet, and fiber-optic broadband.

HughesNet internet has introduced a new type of network using satellite technology. The HughesNet satellite is more than 22,000 miles in space and will receive a signal from the customer's computer.

However, some customers complain that satellite internet service has room for improvement, and they struggle to get a signal. Being at the forefront of internet evolution comes with the risk of service issues, so make sure that satellite internet is the best option for you.

Plan Options and Pricing

HughesNet has one consistent speed across all of its plans: 25 Mbps. The actual speed experienced may vary depending on other external factors. The rates vary based on how much monthly data is included and your area:

• 10 GB – $49.99
  • 20 GB – $59.99
  • 30 GB – $89.99
  • 50 GB – $139.99

However, these rates don't include equipment, which customers pay a monthly fee to lease.

Nationwide Availability

Most broadband ISPs are smaller companies that offer their networks to a focalized region. They generally operate in a few states or in metropolitan areas. Few companies offer widespread service.

HughesNet's satellite service spans the entire country. No matter where you live, you can always access the network. This is a benefit for customers who may move often because they can be confident that their internet will travel with them.

Bonus Data

HughesNet has restrictive data caps, but the good news is customers have access to a bonus 50 GB of data per month when accessed between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. If you plan on surfing late in the evening or early in the morning, this could be beneficial.

The Bad

• Limited Internet Packages
  • Long Contract
  • Slower Speeds
  • Data Allowance
  • Equipment Purchase or Lease

Limited Internet Packages

Most ISPs offer their customers a large selection of internet plans. These packages have a variety of data speeds and features.

This is not the case for any HughesNet plan. They offer limited service plans depending on your area. Pricing also varies depending on your zip code and the data allowance you choose.

If you want to cancel your service contract with HughesNet after installation, expect a termination fee. You will have to return the equipment by mail.

Long Contract

HughesNet's internet service requires a two-year contract, as do some of its competitors in the satellite internet industry. If you want to test how it compares to other broadband internet providers, you'll be locked into a contract for years unless you would like to pay an early termination fee.

However, HughesNet guarantees its price for 12 months, which could be appealing for those who are wary of the notorious price hikes with many service plans.

If you're seeking a month-to-month contract, HughesNet isn't for you.

Slower Speeds

HughesNet's broadband speed is very slow in the industry. Some companies have higher speeds closer to 1 Gbps, but more commonly, the competitive speeds are lower: 75-300 Mbps. HughesNet only offers its customers 25 Mbps. This may be a deterrent if you need a higher download speed.

The upload speeds with HughesNet are not easy to find on their website. This is one of the most frequent customer complaints, and many say they switched from HughesNet to a high-speed internet plan.

The high latency of satellite internet has many users complaining that they struggle to get a signal to their devices. Others say that when they run a speed test they receive a slow speed much lower than their advertised plan. Your devices communicate with the satellite service with a brief half-second delay that makes real-time online gaming impossible.

If you are looking for faster speeds, you may need to look elsewhere.

Data Allowance

HughesNet's data cap could be another downside for potential customers. Other internet service providers also set a data limit for their customers in order to better control their network speeds, but these companies normally don't have limits that are set so low. Some companies provide their customers with unlimited data.

HughesNet's data caps are between 10-50 GB, which limits their customers significantly. However, once you use your data allowance, you can still stay connected at a slower speed free of additional charge. HughesNet only slows down data until the next billing cycle.

HughesNet also has data saver technology that moderates the amount of data used when streaming videos so that your data lasts for a longer period of time.

Equipment Purchase or Lease

If you choose one of HughesNet's internet plans, you can pay upfront to purchase the HughesNet gateway modem, which comes with built in Wi-Fi. Otherwise, you'll have to lease the modem for a monthly fee. The modem is required for HughesNet service. Customers living in rural areas might decide the modem is worth the upfront money.

When initially starting an internet service contract with HughesNet, customers will schedule a technician to install the equipment. Some deals include free installation. Others may charge an installation fee.

The Bottom Line

HughesNet uses broadband satellite to bring its customers a connection. Its satellite network creates a pathway between the customer's computer and the HughesNet servers through a satellite that is thousands of miles up in space.

The speeds currently available through this network are very slow at only 25 Mbps. While this is low compared to high-speed internet, it is much faster than dial-up and may be your best option in a rural area.

Consumers interested in high speed may want to consider other internet options if available in their area, like cable or fiber-optic internet.

HughesNet service options also have little variety. HughesNet would be a good option for customers who live in remote locations, want a reliable connection, and don't mind slower internet speeds.

Call our recommended rep over at HughesNet below.

1.3

Trashcan Garage

I've been a paying Hughesnet customer since 2004. Until last month my old HN1000 system hadn't needed servicing for almost a decade. Which means I was on an older satellite that folks were moving away from in favor of their next gen service. As the months went by my bandwidth got better and better and I almost thought I was getting my money's worth. Then the radio transmitter on my dish died and I needed to place a service call. They offered to replace and update my ailing system for free, which they did... but what they didn't tell me was that they migrated me over to the new satellite as well. Now my bandwidth is so slow I can barely check email. And forget trying to watch even a short video clip on YouTube. In short? Hughesnet is TRASH! Period.

Lisa Karnes Saint Cloud, MN

I cancelled my instillation date and asked for a refund. Every time they were supposed to do the installation something came up. I got 2 different stories for the first installation date. They said his instillation at another residence was taking longer than expected. Then the story changed to he had to get his kids. The next day it was cancelled by then stating the tech was injured. I finally said to cancel everything. Horrible company to try and work with.

Amie Greer OR

After getting confirmation that the internet would work at my location from a Hughes net Distributor and I signed up. It was $1200.00 for equipment and installation. Also had a 2 yr contract at $90 a month. But we signed on thinking it would work. On the first day we had issue with the internet and it continued to be spotty. After 6 months of this Hughes net said they had a new router that would fix the problem and they would put my account on hold until the equipment arrived for 3 months. After 3 months my account was reactive and started charging my Credit card with out any follow up from Hughes net or new router. Internet wasn’t working at all. I called the customer service line and received the worst service ever. They would not cancel my account as I requested. It was awful service. I had to pay the rest of my 2 yr contract for internet that didn’t even work. Make double sure it works in your location ! Or better yet don’t use a company with strict 2yr contracts.

Terri Sherrod Whittier, NC

They have outdated technology, extremely slow speeds, ridiculous pricing structure… I could go on and on. For the money, I would expect a good company with a captive rural audience to at least try to provide an adequate product. Remember, a lot o us who choose to live outside the “big cities” still work from home, have children in school, enjoy streaming services, etc. Why not do away with this cap and data token concept and reinvest in better equipment and coverage for your bread and butter customers?! Hey, you might actually be able to grow your busy with that concept!

Tamara Portland, OR

Whatever you do do not save your card on the website to pay for your service. Even though they have a separate area to click on automatic payments, once you save your card for future payments, in their terms, you are signing up for automatic payments. There is nothing on the website that tells you this! And then they say that you automatically are signed up for payments taken from your account for future payments that ate not even due yet! This company is a scam! You make a payment online, save your card for future payments, then they take DOUBLE the amount! This also happened when I first signed up. They said it would save me $70+ dollars if I set up automatic payments. So I did at first. Not only did they take out double, they also took out more money on bogus charges! They said taxes and fees that were paid at the initial sign up. It was almost $400.00 after I paid over $300.00 to get set up with their service with NO SPEEDS! The speeds are the same as a third world country! You can't stream things, it will take up all your data, and other things. Netflicks etc. They put on a business contract even though I'm residential stating they are doing me an extra service to get me higher speeds. Another lie. I have all calls recorded with customer support. They actually harass you when you try to cancel! Even though their demeanor is appropriate, they talk and talk so you won't cancel then they have the nerve to ask you what your internet plans are after you try to leave them. The list goes on and on this company is crooked and I don't see how they can even stay in business! I will be reporting to the federal trade commission, Better Business Bureau and see what my rights are and are and contact a lawyer.

Lilpanzer Redding, CA

I just reached the end of my two year contract and I'm scheduled for service cancellation. This company has been around a long time and I'd like to say that shouldn't be a consideration. Just because they're somehow still in business does not mean they deserve your business. They absolutely don't, and I'm so relieved to be out from under them in the coming weeks. The speeds were terrible! For two straight years of paying way too much and having so little capability. Customer service will politely tell you that they offer "up to" 25mbps and to have a nice day. Cancelling was a bit of a chore. I was on the phone for an hour while somebody "created a case" for me. I'm so over it, so happy to be out. I don't even have a viable alternative right now. I've just been so disappointed for so long that I'd rather have nothing because at least it's not overcharging me for having nothing.

Theresa Hammond Detroit, MI

I agree with what everyone is saying on here, I did my 2 year contract with them , it ended in February 2022, and it's only me here but I would sit down in the evening to watch a show before bed, and most nights it took 45 minutes or so just to get it working! I'd say screw it and went to bed.so last month (august) I was at work and opened my e bill and it was 91.00 dollars!! ,Up 30.00 from 60.00, no warning , no letter, I called them right away and yelled cancel me ,cancel me you guys are not worth 91.00 dollars a month."sorry mam our systems are down" is what they said, "call back later" I was very upset. So I called back to cancel and they got my bill back down to 60 so I would stay, last night September 20, turned tv on , all the lights on my box was not on, call customer service..I will need a technician to come out but I will have to help pay for it, I said no I'm canceling don't bother.all that internet data between 2 am and 8 am I never used Ever, they can use that to pay there technician!.there customer service people are nice that's why I gave them 2 stars.when it works it's not bad for one tv, but would have to keep turning there box off and on , it's a pain.i do not recommend this company.

Nathan melton TX

Wi-Fi is so slow it’s a joke! Even update apps on my phone, and a 3 min YouTube video takes 5mins+ to watch. (And that’s sitting next to the router.) forget about trying to download or watch a movie. I can only get one bar of service on my phone at my house and it works better then full Wi-Fi !!! Do not get Hughesnet!!!

david proctor Indianapolis, IN

I hate HughesNet no customer service my internet is down more than it works and cost a lot to get out so I’m paying 100 a month for internet that don’t work at all. I’ve unhooked everything and waiting on my att hotspot I’ll continue to pay HughesNet 100 bucks a month while my router stays disconnected .

Amber Pruitt Wetumpka, AL

This internet is the absolute worse along with the customer service, other than a few that has tried to help. I have asked multiple times to send out a tech, was refused, was told it could be fixed over the which we tried multiple times and nothing fixed it, asked for reimbursement and was refused that because my service was canceled 4 days prior. I do not recommend this service to anyone for the sole purpose it is horrible, not because I didn't get refunded but because it was not usable.

Tony Pou

I have a 2nd home in Puerto Rico, we use ATT as internet provider , they sold the company to Liberty international corp. Looking for an American company and being a resident of Virginia, Hughesnet from Maryland was perfect. Wow ! what a terrible mistake. Sign for 2 years, service is the worst I know, I am paying for service that I do not receive, call customer service report to them 1st of service, and also that my antenna was looking to south and I see all my neighbors antenna looking south west. I cannot use any of my device.

Janet Patterson Christiansburg, VA

Customer service has actually been good. The real nightmare is their speed and data allowance. I have called at least 4 times in the 5 months since installation. The buffering is awful. I finally spoke with a person who was in the USA. She explained that streaming can use up to 3GB an hour. I only have 30GB per month. This can limit my usage to 10 hours per month? Are they serious! She said that I can change the settings in Netflix, for example, so it is not on HD OR UHD and this can reduce the usage while connected to that particular site. I can make sure that my phone is not connected to the WIFI if I am not using my phone as it can still use data just because it is powered up. Seriously? This is the craziest thing ever! Now I have to adjust every app or service that I use so it saves my data. By the way, Hughesnet gives free data from 2am thru 8am. Maybe I can binge my favorite shows before the sun comes up and the rooster crows. I will deal with it as long as possible until I can afford to pay out the contract and get out of this nightmare! I would never recommend Hughesnet for any reason if this is the best that they have to offer! Buyer beware.

Tammy McDonald San Antonio, TX

This internet service provides is a scam. They cannot provide fast enough speeds to stream Hulu, Netflix, prime video. And if you work from home , we’ll good luck. I’ve been tired to this contract for 14 months, I’ve ca and complained too many times to count, to no avail. They will it send out a technician to fix any issue unless you pay for it $300. They will want you to stay on the phone while they try to instruct you how to change channels , passwords, etc… but you won’t get any faster speeds. They will not allow you to cancel your contract without paying a large termination fee even though you will not get the speeds you were promised when you sign the contract. This is a horrible company, I found that a Verizon hotspot ( $9.00 per month) will provide you better internet service and for a fraction of the cost! Also if you have had the same experience with this company that I have you can file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission online. Hugesnet will have to file a written response to you and the FCC within 30 days, this WILL get their attention. If enough consumers hold them accountable to following through in their promised internet speeds maybe we can save just one person from falling for their lies and deceit! I will continue to post and file complaints until I get a justice! Please do the same!!

Olive rule Sperryville, VA

They suck bc every month bill goes up I went from paying 71.18 to 96.18 an now I'm getting charged 5.00 to have a paper bill mailed so I wouldn't recommend them every I wouldn't have gave a star

Todd Tampa, FL

I agree with all the reviews that talk about poor service, and horrible costumer service. I finally got them to agree to release me from my contract for $170.00. That's a lot of money but well worth ending the nightmare called Hughes net. I am now using my cell phone as a hotspot it costs less and I have 100% better reception. So NEVER EVER sign up for Hughes Net you are by far better off using your phone as a hotspot!

StephQ Necedah, WI

I got Hughesnet as I live in a rural area. Beyond the $175 a month bill for internet only….my dish bill was separate….I experienced extremely rude customer service and account management. They put my account on auto payment without my permission. They then told me they couldn’t take it off autopayment because they don’t have that ability??????????? Apparently I was in a contract also I was unaware of and now that I am ending service due to constant lagging, service drops and service unavailable…..they want to bill me $566 for the equipment…..but want me to return the equipment…….wtf? Horrible. Lying unhelpful shotty service.

Teresa Reid Charlotte, NC

Lived back in the woods where we didn't have a regular internet provider and hughesnet was the only dish type provider at the time that serviced our area. We had good internet service

Sheila Stone Niota, TN

When I returned to Georgia I lived in an area that only offered internet thru satellite. Apparently HughesNet and Dish are business partners. I told them I didn't want TV service but the CSR insisted that it was cheaper that way. I told her again that I did not want it UNLESS it was cheaper than internet alone. I ended up with 2 seperate bills with high disconnect fees and it was not cheaper than internet alone. I had problems getting the signal to come in strong from the beginning. I will give HughesNet their props trying to resolve the signal issues. They will work with you on billing when their is an issue.

Sandra Catherwood Dallas, TX

I think this is the worst service and they have the worst customer service I've had to deal with. My dad is 65 and in and in a wheelchair and they demanded that he get up on the roof and remove the dish himself. That's not going to happen! I was speaking with one of the customer service reps who could barely speak where I could understand them and they had the worst attitude. I asked multiple times to speak with a supervisor or manager and he continued to tell me that he can dispatch someone but at a fee to my dad. Again, nit going to happen. I demanded that he GET ME A SUPERVISOR and he finally did after telling me they'd tell me the same thing. He argued with me for 15 minutes about getting a supervisor, absolutely unprofessional and acceptable! As a General Manager for Hilton Hotels I understand the severity of good customer service, they definitely need to retrain their staff on how to assist a customer! The supervisor did finally waive the fee to have their technician come remove their equipment after 30 minutes more of telling him my dad was in a wheelchair and would not be able to climb on the roof! Thank God that Att can now provide service in the Talty/Terrill area now.

Tammo Rancho Cucamonga, CA

HughesNet internet service is GREAT, compared to the DSL I had. It works exactly as advertised. The installation was done as scheduled, done professionally and looks very neat. As for the speed, I couldn't be happier. I get between 18 and 21 MBPS. My DSL only provided 0 .8 - 0.9 MBPS, yes, that was less than one MBPS. I am simply too far from the phone company's Relay Building. So, for my situation, HughesNet is a good answer. I understand that as of this writing (2/8/19) they were still having some technical issue with the Usage Meter application. One consideration for those reading negative reviews where the reviewer is unhappy with the speed. When you go to some website to let's say download a video or other large file, you may think that is no where near 20 MBPS. The webpage or file download is also very dependent on the server that provides the data. If the server is undersized or very busy because of man, many users on it at the same time, that will show up in your download time. That is not your ISP's (like HughesNet) fault. To check the speed, use a speed testing app that is free to use.

Life of Frog South Bend, IN

Internet is too slow to do anything at all. You cannot work from home on this internet. You can not stream movies or games. Customer service doesn't speak English half the time and isn't helpful at all. They over charge you on your bill and say they will fix the error, but never do. Contract term seems like it never ends.

Rock Wilson New York, NY

This is the worst company in America quite possibly and that's saying a lot. Our service NEVER worked. I wanted my money back. They came and tested it and said it was fine, yet I couldn't pull up anything on my phone while connected to it. I said "the only people this is fine for is you. Charging me for nothing." Then try to get it disconnected. Even when you AGREE TO PAY THE WHOLE YEAR FOR NOTHING. 15 Filipinos later and 2 hours later.........

Sue Hamilton, OH

This article is NOT a true assessment of this company! They have terrible customer service and their internet is always out or slow. Then they will try to price gauge you with data tokens, because you run out of data in your monthly service contract in a couple of days! STAY AWAY! Go to Facebook and search for Hughes Net group. You will see the real reviews for this terrible, corrupt company!

Cindy Fahey MN

We had a storm and lost power sio I cancelled the service until we could get everything repaired. They didn't cancel my service for 2 months and never paid me back. My husband had to call to get the service canceled, which is sad within itself. I could never get the money back even though I called again and again. I would never recommend this service to anyone. Especially women.

Raquel LeCesne

If I could give them a double ZERO I would. I have to mirror what others have said. THeir service does not work and when you call them, you have long wait times, get the run around, schedule service with technicians that don;t show up and then they charge you full subscription prices and fees to cancel. Hundreds of dollars to cancel for a service that has NEVER worked. This is egregious and I would join anyone else who wants to file a class action lawsuit. They are such a rip-off!!!

Date of my review: 8/3/22 Show Low, AZ

This company should not even provide service that is this bad… BAD is an understatement. It should be a crime for what they hook you into to only find that each and every single day is a frustration. Their C/S appears to be individuals they hire off the street, they know nothing about the company they work for. Their purpose appears to be to frustrate customers so bad with the lack of interest in helping you on top of the extremely long hold times which only supports how unhappy their customers are that we are plugging up their phone lines… how is this legal!!! They waste hours of our time trying to get help, at no avail. I need to somehow start a class action lawsuit… I will look into this and watch for any info on this rip off of a company thru FB, INSTAGRAM, Twitter, possibly even our local news channels. I for one, have had enough… I hope everyone who’s fallen victim to this bogus company will do the same! If you have not signed up yet… you would be better off to start watching DVD’s and wait for a reputable internet company that has proven happy customers. Did anyone happen to see that on the HughesNet website the reviews some out tp 4.5 STARS??? yet on a public forum like this they have an underserved one star, and if we could report zero stars I’m sure we all would.

Meredith Seifert Austin, TX

#1 horrible service, expensive. Plus they take money beyond what agreed upon, terribly dishonest, cannot explain extra charges on your bill. Do not prorated and refund money's for dates that haven't been used. Worst internet company I've had the displeasure to deal with. For example I canceled on last day of my monthly pay period. They said it was their riles that because it wasn't a day in advance that they were entitled to charge me for the entire next month too....even though I had canceled. Absolutely crooks about everything! I'd give them zero stars if I could. I will tell everyone I know what a nightmare this company is.

chris ward Florissant, MO

Welp came here over 10 years after being a Hughesnet customer to see if things have changed for the better but nope. Still got the outrageous 2 year contract , crazy cancellation fee of $400 , and how insane is it even to your last month its as much to cancel early as it is to pay the service for the last month lol. I can attest the "unlimited speed" is the bait and the data throttling is the switch. You can still forget streaming tv as an option . ONly thing thats changed is they added more data tiers and raised prices but nothing is different about each tier other than when they trigger your throttling to make your internet experience miserable. 10+ years later and it the worst still and i hate that they keep creating technology to help you manage your data usage what about just innovating to make you business better. My High speed internet is now $80 a month for super high speeds $5 equipment and thats it. Its insane the value trade off is so extreme yet they charge over double what i pay and provide 90 % less.

brainhearted Wimberley, TX

Warning! This is a bait and hook company. Don't sign up for this garbage service. I swear I have not had one single uninterrupted show of ANY length in 4 months stuck with them! Even when the month renews, buffering and "something went wrong" is constant. Nothing plays through on stream, Netflix, Prime, Roku, or anywhere and the over data limit internet speed couldn't suck more, period. They want $480 to cancel my mandatory contract! I have never felt so suckered nor hated a company this much and I am almost 60. I will eagerly join any Class Action Law Suit against this predatory garbage. service.

Tammy Brown Denver, CO

If I could give a '0' I would. I only have myself at my residence and I work 40 plus hours a week and have a very busy lifestyle, so I am not home watching TV all day. But, I was unable to watch the ABC world news on YouTube TV even one time, it would constantly buffer and there was not one sentence that you could understand EVER...... Let alone watch a movie on Netflix. If it wasn't blurry it was buffering. I called many times , no help from the day I got the service I asked them to come pick the equipment up and they would keep me on the phone for over 45 min each single time running test , blah blah when finally I did a little research on my own and decided that you simply just don't have enough with 25 Mbps Download to watch anything. I finally got so frustrated with my last call in I just hung up after over 45 min and hours later received an email that they would cancel my service with 400.00 cancel fee. Two days later without my consent or knowledge it was debited directly out of my checking account. If you want to watch TV and you are in a remote area just get cable.

Tomeka Strickland Atlanta, GA

Hughes Net has to be the worse internet service ever. The internet speed is horrible and the customer service sucks! You can’t do two things at once. I work from home. If I’m working, then no tv. If I’m watching tv, then I better not try to work. And the data tokens are a freaking joke. I was told that I used all of my data in one day. When the billing cycle starts, I’ve already used all of my data, and where does that happen in real life? I just started service with them in January and I’m ready to jump ship. I just want out of this ridiculous contract. I purchased close to the highest package due to me working from home and didn’t want any problems. Well it’s been nothing but problems since I started. I had the pleasure of one of their workers sit On the phone and try to maneuver through there phone system for the customers and it took her almost 2 hrs of us being on the phone and her trying to get help for me to have service. Hopefully, I’m not rambling but I’ve had it with their terrible service and wanted to warn others before they are stuck with this horrible service. I feel like the other customers, if I could give them a negative rating I surely would. They promise you the world and give you nothing, not even the service you pay for!!!!

lucas marthaler Eagle River, WI

Hughes net needs to be shut down. It is simply a scam. When you sign up, they actually have the audacity to ask if you are going to be gaming on it. While I am not, their garbage service could never come close to supporting online gaming. They also say, that to use up 20 gigs of data in a month, you would have to stream television 8 hrs/day. I doubted that from the start, and, of course, when it is used up in less than a week from watching maybe a movie/night, it is your fault when talking to support. Worst customer support ever. When you do have data, and your speeds are somewhere around 25mbps, it does not work as is should at those speeds. Constant buffering, and customer support can not, or simply will not explain why that is the case. It is always the fault of your devices. Do yourself a favor, and wait for starlink to be in your area if it is not already. You will not have a moment of satisfaction from Hughesnet, period. It pained me that I had to even give them one star. Oh, and I'm sure when I cancel with them soon, I will have to pay $ due to the fact that I upped my data plan last week after having them for two years already, watch.

Daniel Wiener VER

We just had a huge hurricane in Zipolite Mexico . We were closed for more than 3 weeks.When I called for service the woman told me we had exceeded our limit, and I would have to buy “tokens”. It’s a scam. We got the new equipment from the technician, and had good service for about 3 days, then back to less than one MGP. I pay for 50MGPS, and we are empty. The agent “Diego” just upped the service (they have the ability to do that), but he refuses to tell me why I need to buy more “tokens” They are totally dishonest, and there are plenty of legitimate companies to buy internet services from. Stay away from Hughes. Daniel Wiener. Just so anyone can compare: Right now Hughes tests at .53 MBPS and I pay over 3000 pesos per month. Telcel tests at 6.5 MBPS and costs me 599 pesos per month. AT&T tests 6.3 MBPS for my iPhone including hotspot and costs 200 pesos per month. Yet Hughs keeps telling me to buy more time. Right.

Cake Bremer Ely, NV

This is the first time that I have been upset that I cannot give a lower rating than 1 star. This has been the absolute WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. I was *assured* that my connection would be strong enough for me to work from home - That was a lie. I've since lost my job as I cannot attend or host simple video calls and/or watch the videos required to maintain training. I cannot stream anything without significant delays which makes even watching youtube or tiktoks almost impossible. I don't care how much the contract is, I will be moving to ANY OTHER PROVIDER in the entire world as quickly as I can get them out here to hook me up. I sincerely hope that this company tanks sooner rather than later, no one on this planet deserves this crappy of service for the ridiculous price charged. Here's to Hughesnet claiming bankruptcy and going out of business!

Lion Heart

Well mabe is not better than land lines internet but solved wene no other internet can. true real time gaming is not posible and apps like zoom work halfway due to distance info travel just over the air to reach the sat but some jobs can be done from home as long is not operator or meetings .i m able to strem 4 tv at same time obvious wene data cap reach 1 or 2 tv is not as bad as people say here i belive this is a hate campain i saw comercial on tv the never say best internet they say best satellite internet so they specific betwin sats competitor they know sat conectios are no better than land conection but that is about to change in next 5 years or less

austin rickey Antelope, CA

Speed it almost never more that 3 download speed. Worst customer service ever, you can never talk to a us based call center. Rude and unwilling to help.

Linda Fisher MI

Customer service chat rarely ever works and when you call they CONSTANTLY leave you hanging with their automated attendants who can’t hear and obviously can’t figure out the numbers you type in EITHER! It’s frustrating and we’re they not the ONLY carrier available to us we would of fired them long ago!!!!!

Jerry Hudson Murphy, NC

Don't use this sorry a-- company unless you're only using your WiFi from midnight to 7:30 in the morning. I have only at best 25% capacity at best. It would be nice to not have to stay awake to watch Netflix till midnight or wee hours of the morning. WORTHLESS!!!

Christopher Sundermeier Raleigh, NC

Horrible service. The cost is high and the internet is so slow as to be unusable. They force you to sign a long term contract -- which you will want to cancel immediately, but then you are stuck paying a large termination fee. This is a rip off and a company that should be ashamed of itself for its practices.

Kathy Rayfield Brookneal, VA

This is the absolute worse internet service and customer service I have ever encountered. It is the only option where I live. They have such slow speed my 55inch TV won't stream hulu. They won't put a router in that will work yet continue to charge me outrageous price. Then want me to buy tokens! WTF!! IM GOING TO RIP THIS SATILITE OFF THE ROOF AND THROW IT IN THE POND

Tree Longbranch, WA

Wow, everything that I have just read that other costumers wrote about Hugues.net is exactly the way that me and my family feels. We signed our ridicules 2 year contract only to find that we can't stand the service. Not once have anyone in our house sat down to watch something on T.V. and not gotten pissed off that there is constance buffering and or the signal goes completely out sometimes for just a minute or two and other times for maybe an hour. WHY is it that they are getting away with being such a crappy company??? I can't hardly wait to not have to deal with this company anymore!

Gayle Elizabeth, CO

Hughes internet is horrible!!!!!!! It is very slow. I had the highest data plan and would run out of data by just surfing the internet and using it for social media. They misrepresent things by using synonyms for things like unlimited soft data. Free installation. So in short they lie. If you don’t get the services you are paying for you should be released from your contract.Don’t go with this company they are crocks!

Jennifer Perry Marysville, OH

Had internet service installed several months ago, technician was nice and seemed helpful. Wrong. He did not tell me that box only covered 25 feet (without additional boosters), my house is over 100 ft. long. Finally, my daughter was able to work thru customer service and they finally informed us that the only way it would work is to buy boosters. Bought boosters from Best Buy, which help only slightly,. I have never had full coverage. Had to make additional calls to Hughes Net Customer Service, which was of NO HELP and they made no attempts to resolve. I ended up canceling the service at an additional cost of $ 500 ($ 395 early termination fee plus $ 100 for technician to remove equipment from roof). Technician that came out was not directly employed by Hughes Net. He was very upfront and informed me that Hughes Net SUCKS in every way. He also, informed me that my system would have never worked right as the radio portion had move and would not connect to satellite. Evidently, Hughes Net installers are only given 3/4 inch drill bits and 5/8 inch screws (how obvious is that failure). If the installers want to do it right, they have to pay out of pocket for the correct screws and also pay for additional ones, as Hughes Net does not provide enough to secure the unit properly. Without a tight and secure mounting, the unit will move and not pick up the satellite signal, which is the whole point of the so-called use !!! Would highly recommend that you NEVER consider this provider. I really consider them as CHEATS after my experience.

chris Smith Silver City, NM

Worst internet provider ever. We moved to a rural area and the only provider is Hughesnet. The download speeds are no where close to what they claim and upload speeds are nonexistent, so anything work related is impossible using Hughesnet. The signal constantly drops when you have more then one device using it at a time. If you want to use any type streaming service Netflix ect you can’t it just buffers endlessly. We use our phones as hotspots and a 2 bar signal works 1000 times better than Hughesnets’ low speed satellite internet. Will be canceling as soon as our new home is finished and will be using a Verizon hotspot for internet with twice the data for half the cost of Hughesnet. The overall rating should be less then zero stars.

Angel Dragneel Beaumont, TX

Worst internet i have ever had. i dont see how they can actually have any good reviews tbh. when you call to ask a question they cant give you a direct answer. then they randomly charge you for something that you didnt buy. i feel like its a pyramid scheme. you pay almost $150 but when you pay your bill it doesnt restart until 14 days after you pay it and you are forced to over pay for a tiny bit of data with their "data tokens". nothing about this internet is good. its slow, to me its over priced for what you get and its gone by the time you have to pay again. you cant really do anything online except pay and your pratically forced to use auto pay. when you want to opt out of that you are forced to pay $5 to switch to paper billing. I will be switching soon. i do not recommend. I feel like they paid a few people to give positive reviews. cause i cant see who can actually believe this internet is any good at all. they deserve 0 stars

Tara Mesa, AZ

I am pretty unhappy with the kind of customer support I have received so far as a new customer. I emailed a few weeks ago- this process to get satellite internet has been confusing since I am coming from cable. First, the enrollment team could not fully explain to me what the best plan I should get with what I needed and they told me I could easily change the plan if needed. I came from out of state for the installation and the initial technician assigned to install the satellite did not show up and was unprofessional, I ended up having to take another unplanned 2 days off of work to stay and wait for another installer. I then left and came back to test the internet- I found out having my other devices on while on the internet caused issues so I emailed to see if I could get the next plan up at the new customer rate since I was literally a brand new customer. Then the Jemez Springs fire started and we were evacuated and dealing with that. 3 weeks later I called and talked to a rep named Howard and he didn't even try to assist me with what I was asking. I asked to either speak to a manager or at least have him ask he huffed and puffed and then said ok I will send you to a manager. 15 min later waiting on hold the phone hung up on me. I can't believe this is the service I am getting. I will most likely look for a new internet company as soon as I can. Awful service!

StarlightRemix North Wilkesboro, NC

This was the worst service I’ve ever had the displeasure of coming across. They’re the only service in my area, they offer their minimum package here at 70USD/m and it always left me in awe how the data was gone within hours of monthly renewal as the speeds are less than a dial up connection most of the time. I’d call, they’d give me 1000 excuses, 6 months into the two year contract, contacted the BBB to help me get rid of the contract and that worked. Just in case any of you are still stuck with such a worthless waste of money, sincerely reach out to the BBB, tell them you want your contract voided, they will give you a hand.

PATRICK BRUNNER FL

THE LOW DATA RATE IS ONLY PART OF THEIR POOR SERVICE. PING TIME (DELAY) IS NEVER MENTIONED. MINE WAS 600MS TO 2000MS (2 SECONDS). MAKES THEIR VOIP A JOKE (TALKING OVER EACH OTHER) AND THUS USELESS. IT ALSO MAKES SEARCHING RETAIL SIGHTS FOR A PRODUCT A REAL PAIN. WAIT A SECOND BETWEEN EACH MOUSE CLICK?? MOVIES ARE BAD WITH A BUFFERING EVERY MINUTE OR TWO SO IT IS NO LONGER A PLEASURE TO WATCH A MOVIE. THE LOW DATA CAPS AND SLOWER FALLBACK SPEEDS WERE BARELY ACCEPTABLE IN MY CASE, BUT NOT THE EXTREMELY LONG PING TIMES. AFTER 9 MONTHS I GAVE UP AND WENT TO CELLULAR ISP, 10 Mbps TO 20 Mbps @ $80/ MO. MUCH BETTER, NO WEATHER FADE OR SUN BLINDING. HUGHES WENT FROM ~$75 TO $115 FOR MY CRAPPY SERVICE. CELLULAR IS $80. THE $495 CANCELLATION FEE I THOUGHT OF AS ROBBERY. SO GLAD THEY ARE GONE. NEVER AGAIN.

Aron Hower IL

Every since I had hughesnet installed its been crap. The first several months I attempted to call them and complain about the speed. Multiple times they attempted to fix the issue. They said that I was receiving 30 to 50 mps at the satellite but only getting 500 to 750 kbps was normal. I asked to get a new modem/router and they would not send me a new one. Being wired in did not help the speeds either. We eneded up using our phone hotspots for the longest time while wasting well over $100 a month for the service. Finally called to cancel the service and they wouldn't budge on the $280 early term fee, even though they can't solve their own internet problems and uphold their end of the agreement they still expect you to uphold your end. It's completely worthless, I will never suggest this company to anyone

Debbie South Bend, IN

I always had slow internet service, videos were always slow or impossible to download. Went to terminate my service and was advised that I would be receiving a box and need to return all items or I could be charged up to $300. I asked the customer service rep what were all the items I needed to return. He told me I needed to return the mode, power cable and transmitter. I asked where the transmitter would be located. He told me it would be on the satellite. I advised that the satellite was on my roof (in which I told them I did not want it up there in the first place). I asked if I had to get on a ladder and remove it. He said yes or we can send someone out for $100. The customer service became really rude so I finished up my conversation as quickly as I could. PLEASE read all the fine prints as you will not be told everything up front. I will now steer everyone I know away from HughesNet.