In the internet service industry there are many providers for customers to choose from.

Over one million internet users have chosen EarthLink as their internet service provider.

EarthLink offers a download speed up to 75 Mbps that starts at $39.95 per month.

EarthLink has a fiber optic network that spans the nation with more than 28,000 miles of fiber routes. It offers internet access to residential customers, as well as both small and large businesses.

Over the last two decades EarthLink has continually grown and improved its services. EarthLink's products and services make it a popular choice in the industry.

View EarthLink Reviews

The Good

• Variety of Network Types
  • Plan Options and Pricing
  • Additional Benefits

Variety of Network Types

All throughout the internet service industry there is a variety of technologies that can be used to bring customers the internet. EarthLink takes advantage of a wide range of these technologies. They offer customers satellite internet, cable internet networks, and DSL internet options. All of these options have their advantages and disadvantages, but each are a viable option.

This wide variety allows EarthLink to serve a greater number of customers because their networks are so diverse. This large variety gives customers the option to choose which type of technology they would prefer if more than one is available in their area.

Plan Options and Pricing

EarthLink has four internet plans:

• Hyperlink™ Internet (75 Mbps)
  • Satellite Internet (25 Mbps)
  • DSL Internet (15 Mbps)
  • Dial-up Internet

The download speeds listed here are the maximum possible. The actual speeds may vary based on location, time of day, and devices and systems used.

The Hyperlink™ Internet plan uses fiber optic technology and has no data caps. The starting monthly cost of this plan is $39.95. There are also additional fees:

• Installation: $69.95
  • Modem Fee: $74.95 or $6.95 per month

The contract for Hyperlink™ Internet plan has a 12 month contract and an early termination fee of up to $200.

The Satellite Internet plan is available from HughesNet via Earthlink. The highest download speed with this plan is 25 Mbps and the highest upload speed is 3 Mbps. The monthly costs start at $49.99. Additional fees and taxes may apply.

The DSL Internet plan option begins with a monthly price of $14.95 for the first three months of the 12-month contract. EarthLink does not charge an activation fee for this internet plan. However, customers are required to use an approved modem that can be purchased for $74.95 or $6.95 per month.

An early termination fee of up to $90 will apply if customers end their contract early.

Customers who choose the Dial-up Internet plan have unlimited dial-up access across the United States. Customers must pre-pay for this plan. New subscribers can pre-pay $9.95 per month for the first three months. After that, the annual pre-pay is $174 or $24.95 per month.

Additional Features

EarthLink subscribers have access to several benefits as part of their internet service plan.

• EarthLink Email
  • MyEarthLink Portal
  • EarthLink Support
  • My Account

Users can set-up an email account with EarthLink that also comes with a mobile app for convenient use. It also includes virus and spam protection and the ability to use anonymous email addresses.

With the MyEarthLink Portal, users can customize their internet browser homepage to stay up-to-date on the news, sports, social media networks, etc.

EarthLink Support provides tech support to customers. EarthLink Support representatives are available via chat or phone.

Every EarthLink User has an account with EarthLink that allows them to manage their internet billing online.

The Bad

Speed Variability

While the customers of EarthLink will be able to choose from a wide variety of different technologies, these options may not be capable of high speed. Every specific location has different speeds based on varying factors, the customer will have to check with customer service agents to get exact speeds for their area.

The upload speeds vary by area as well, but are generally a great deal slower than the download speeds. This is fairly standard for the industry. Interested customers should check with EarthLink to see if what plans and what speeds are available in their area.

EarthLink's top speed 75 Mbps is fairly competitive for the industry, though there are other internest service providers with download speeds greater than 100 Mbps.

The Bottom Line

EarthLink is one of the most diverse internet service providers in the industry. They offer their customers a variety of options for the technology their network is provided on. These technologies include dial-up, satellite, DSL, and cable. All of these technology options are the reason that EarthLink can have such a large service area and provide coverage for the whole country.

EarthLink's internet speeds are fairly competitive for the industry, though they fall on the slower end. Even though these speeds are generally faster than dial-up internet service, they are very low compared to some of the other high-speed internet service providers available. Customers interested in high-speed internet may be better served by investigating other options.

EarthLink internet services are at a reasonable price, and have the added bonus features such as 24/7 tech support. EarthLink is an internet provider worth considering because of their wide areas of service and internet options. Be sure to investigate what the availability in your area is and what the specific terms of an internet contract is.

Call our recommended rep over at EarthLink Internet below.

1.0

Ingle Accident
August 13th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

Webmail is unreliable, often strips attachments from emails. User must check sent file to confirm that emails have actually been sent. "Chat" help is a pro forma worthless service with obvious auto-replies. Chat help is obviously serving 5-10 clients at a time, giving out the same worthless bromides, like a low-level FAQ page. Spam block service is very poor with semi-legible 'warnings' when you change settings, trashing good with the bad (but trashing permanently, not putting it in trash for review). Very bush league, amateur service, they certainly can't afford proper computer engineers to provide a reliable webmail service.

Camille
August 2nd, 2019 Saint Augustine, FL

I was researching internet companies and contacted Earthlink as my first option. However, when I called I literally waited almost 5 minutes before I hung up because no one answered the phone. Therefore, I will find another provider.

Rosann Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

We stayed with EarthLink until it was taken over by another company in our area. Otherwise we were pleased with the product and service.

You Suck...
April 12th, 2019 Hagerstown, MD DETAILS

THIS IS THE WORSE INTERNET COMPANY I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! I was at 5G and they changed me to a 3g. The service is HORRIBLE!!! It takes me 1 hr to watch a 30 mins show!!! i called almost everyday to speak with someone about my service and they keep reading from a script telling me that I was too far away from the office!! I told them that unless the office moved within the last 2 wks, I have not picked up my house and moved, so why did they downgrade me??? NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!! Not to mention, if you are a day late making your payment, they call you ATLEAST 10 x's a day!! I am in a remote area and my options for internet are very limited. If it was not for my home alarm, I would have cancelled them IMMEDIATELY!!! None of the customer service people speak english, nor do they udnerstand if you have a question!!! THE WORSE COMPANY!!! They lied about why the change in my service and when I find another company, I WILL BE CANCELLING MY SERVICE IMMEDIATELY!!! THEY SUCK!!! I would rather pay alittle more and have good service then pay less and have this kind of service!!! i would NOT reccommend anyone to get this service!!!

The Web Hunter
April 8th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

I always seem to get the assistance I need when I call for help. The folks working the phones have to date always taken care of me. (I would complain here just as much, if not more if they did a poor job.) So I have to be fair. Thanks I have been here for a few years. The Webhunter

JOSELIN
February 7th, 2019 Nashville, TN DETAILS

I have never had any issues with this service i have had this service over a year but now i hate this service and want to cut it off already! BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WHY CAN'T I EVER SPEAK WITH A AMERICAN PERSON! SOMEONE THAT CAN DO THINGS RIGHT . my due date was on Nov 30 and i made a payment on the 4th of December when i called to make the payment the lady was having trouble making the payment then she comes back on the phone and says she couldn't make the payment because i didn't have money on the card. I knew i had enough money because i checked my bank app . When i checked she had CHARGED THE CARD TWICE!!!!! I advised her and she kept saying no and got an attitude saying the payment didn't go through that i had to make another payment. my account showed pending so i told her i was going to call back on Monday to see if both charges went through then she gave me a confirmation number. On Monday i called because they did withdrawal money from my account from the two charges she had made. Another rep had answered the call and i had told him about what had happened and wanted my refund from the second charge they had done . He also said that he wasn't going to help me and hung up !! BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!! So now i called my bank and filed in a dispute , I want my money back! and I will be cancelling the service. they need to train their workers AND get american people instead Indian people. Not racist but each time they handle the call you cant really understand what they are saying and they do not help you at all.!!!

Katie
January 10th, 2019 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS

Can't reach them. I was trying to pay my bill. Could not sign on with the email they had on file. I called and they would only verify my account with the cell number which was in my stolen purse. Rude! Stuff it!

Eunice A. Ghent
December 1st, 2018 Tustin, MI DETAILS

We connected with them through DISH. Their service is excellent but at first they tod us we had a 2 yr. contract. Through DISH we had finished our contract so the contract was waived.

Maria Boyle
June 15th, 2018 Pompano Beach, FL DETAILS

If I could give them a 0 star I would. This company is the worst. in service, technology and pricing. My mother signed up with Directv for cable services and internet was part of the package with AT&T. We had no idea who Earthlink was, because we never signed any agreement with this company, nor that ever received an invoice or account information. We were paying Direct TV as agreed in the service agreement. However, after not having internet for a few days I called Direct TV and that is when they advised about this company. We called to cancel the account but their fees are extremely high so we have to stay (with the worst speed) until the remaining of the year.

Pete
April 16th, 2018 San Jose, CA DETAILS

It would be zero stars if I could give them that rating. I was an original DSL user of earthlink services. When that evolved into cable. I switched to email only, since I have had that email address for 10+ years. I've had multiple problems with billing (almost every year, they switch me from yearly to monthly when my yearly bill comes due). That's always a few chats or phone calls since they never correctly get it the first time. Usually, they double bill me instead of "switching" me back to the yearly bill. The have a horrendous problem with SPAM filtering. It's really just an exercise in frustration. I have put domains in that I do not want email from and it just blatantly doesn't work. They do not allow wild cards in their filters so trash marketers just use a domain spoof to get through. The sad part is that I have gotten SPAM with earthlink.net domain names. How can you NOT filter that. They force you to have their web mail and you are limited to 100Mb (I get 2 gigs on my free gmail email) and when the web mail fills up, they bounce back your email. Coupled with the fact their SPAM filters don't work and they require you to have web mail and web mail fills pretty quickly, you have to spend a few minutes every other day flushing your web mail account. I strongly suggest you get ANY OTHER provider than earthlink. I suspect they are just bleeding their business until it just goes away. I am moving all my logins and services (e.g. Facebook, money accounts, bank, credit cards, phone, etc.) to an alternate email account and will cancel my earthlink after this last year of service.

Lakesha
February 28th, 2018 Mesquite, TX DETAILS

I rate them a 1 because other people was using my internet service and my service was supposed to be blocked and it wasn’t blocked at all! And then the service was running real slow too! And then it’s a rip off too I paid my bill and my service was still off!!! And the representative that was talking you can’t even understand what the world that they are saying their English is terrible so I got upset and hung up in their face I rather go with another provider

Susan Flaster
February 5th, 2018 Saint Cloud, FL DETAILS

I have a lot of trouble with my computer and have problems with Earthlink also.

Kara B.
October 31st, 2017 Gastonia, NC DETAILS

Tried Earthlink Hyperlink for a mere week and it was a bad experience from day 2. First off, the sales rep told me over chat the incorrect installation price and I had to talk to two different representatives to get the quoted price which I was told would be refunded over the span of 3 months. Well they knew what they were doing because the service is absolutely horrible and I will never keep it for the span of three months. I've had it for one week and I'm done. I chatted and called tech support 5 times altogether. I was told I'd get speeds of 12 mbps but really that meant only 80% of that (seriously?), well, I was regularly getting less than 1 mbps. I would call, they would ask me to turn off the modem, restart the computer (eye roll), 'clear' their lines, and the speed would go up to 12 mbps. Immediately after ending the call the speed would be back down to less than 1. This happened twice in one day while only trying to use one device. Imagine a regular day when my husband is streaming Netflix, my daughter is gaming, and I'm listening to Pandora. I called to cancel, the process took 15 mins and I was initially told my monthly charge wouldn't be refunded although she eventually agreed to refund the $32.37. I'm still out the $69.99 install fee for a service I had for about a week and was abysmal the entire time, plus the time dealing with the install and customer service. At no time was the sales rep upfront about the actual speed I would get or that this would be using AT&T DSL lines (which I had tried before and knew was very slow) and gave me misinformation on top of that (I'll never see the refund for the difference in price on the install fee I was quoted). If anyone out there is thinking about using Earthlink--DON'T DO IT!!!

William Makepeace
October 24th, 2017 TX

I signed up for the service and five hours later they tell me there are no funds available, I say BS. What are they trying to pull?

Rebecca
October 20th, 2017 Seattle, WA

EarthLink customer since 2001. Last straw happening. No DSL service and waited 4 days to have my phone lines checked. Was to be fixed today. HA! Learned about noon that the phone company had an order to cancel DSL line and did so. Phone company gave me the order number from the order they received from EarthLink 6 days before I had no internet. Have had no internet for 4 days, waiting patiently only to learn they made a mistake and have not done anything to fix it. Have spent hours on the phone with EarthLink And phone company. My patience with this terrible technical and customer service is ending. Not worth the headaches I've had this week. Tired of their "So sorry for the inconvenience." statement. HA! If this company really cared about how they "inconvenience" you, their tech support would be competent and they would provide good service. Will see if this gets fixed tomorrow as promised. Was told twice today that someone would be here to check things at 7pm. Of course that didn't happen. Spent an hour waiting to talk to supervisor and promised would be handled first thing I the morning. I'll believe that when it happens! Having to change the email address I've had for 16 years can't be worse than this.

Libby
September 1st, 2017 Vallejo, CA

Last week I had left work early to wait for the technician to come and hook everything up and they did not show, when I called regarding the no show I was told that they tech had arrived and no one was home (which is a lie) I was home waiting the entire time. I called on Monday 08/28/17 to cancel my service because of such poor customer service. I spoke to two different people and was told two different stories. I was given a conformation number and assured that getting my money refunded would not be a problem, however when I called again today 09/01/2017 I was told that because my service was already in use I could not have a refund. How can service be in use when they never showed to hook anything up? My other issue with the company is and I know it sounds horrible, but I never spoke to anyone without an accent, I have a hearing problem and it is very hard to understand what a person is saying when the are speaking fast and trying to double talk you to keep your money. EarthLink has a lot to learn about customer service and maybe just maybe they should hire people that speak English.

Traci Taylor
August 3rd, 2017

I've been a customer since 01/17, and a technician has been dispatched 3 times, because my internet keeps going out. The customer service representatives don't listen. They have you do all this trouble shooting, which doesn't resolve the issues. After all of this, they place you on hold while they contact the technical department. Then they give you a lame rehearsed excuse as to why my internet is not working. They debit my account the 27th of each month, but I can't get decent internet.

Tonya Trytten
August 3rd, 2017

It took 2, hour long phonecalls to have service moved from one address to another. But they did that by keeping the old account and setting up a new account and had I not called, would have billed for both. I think, because you can't understand anything they say. They are based entirely out of India. And, they only do autopay, directly from your account.

AD
April 17th, 2017

I would not recommend EarthLink to anyone. It had taken almost 2 weeks to disconnect service after I cancelled my service. Some many promises to resolve the issue and none have been fulfilled

Laura
January 23rd, 2017 Port Washington, NY

BEWARE - EARTHLINK IS TWCSPECTRUM! You won't find out until you are billed & get this - if you are an existing TWC customer, YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR EARTHLINK PROMOTIONS because......EarthLink is TWCSpectrum. I just found this out & I am currently searching the Internet for another provider. Don't be fooled like I was!

Joe
January 23rd, 2017 Melville, NY

This is the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. The customer service is atrocious. I have complained about the same issue 7 times over the last 4 months and it is still not resolved. If i owned stock in this company i would sell it off as fast as possible. There is no way this business can earn a profit they way they do businees

Roy Nitzberg
October 6th, 2016 Brooklyn, NY

Been having a connect/disconnect problem since the end of July. It is now the end of September and the problem still is not fixed. Customer service representatives are bound by silly rules ("Have you disconnected your router? How many lights are showing on your modem," even after a problem goes on for months. It is also almost impossible to understand the Customer Service Reps, not because of their strong Indian accents, but because the quality of their line is so poor ... sounds like they're all underwater. This is all-in-all a miserable operation; don't get stuck with them.

Emerson Trager
September 1st, 2016 Round Rock, TX

Even worse than AT&T if that says anything. Customer service is so bad I can't think of a word appropriate to explain it and I've had 45 min on hold to think about it. Keep looking and save yourself a headache.

Ken Sasaki
July 25th, 2016

I was without DSL for almost a month. They could not figure out why. Or not interested in finding out. It was them canceling my account at AT&T. They also sent me a new modem saying it is free. Now they charged me $50+ . I need to send it back by Fedex in order to waive the fee.

Howard
June 27th, 2016

Customer service is incompetent and has difficulty with simple English. They charged me four times for a single month's service and refused to admit their error.

Ron
April 11th, 2016 Cape Coral, FL

Worst provider ever, bill increases every month and have to spend hours arguing with customer service. All providers suck but Earthlink is the worst.

Todd Comalander
March 29th, 2016 Columbia, SC

Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever dealt with period. I was paying over $800 a month for phone and fax service for my two offices. I found another provider for less than $300. It took me over 4 months to discontinue my service with these people. Do yourself a favor and steer clear. Best move you will ever make!

Barbara Glover
February 25th, 2016 New York, NY

This internet is horrible. I dont like doing reviews but I got DSL nearly a year ago and It took me ten days and two techinicians to start my internet. It finally took a nice Verizon technician to get on the phone with the Earthlink technical support to get it started. Now it has been since the end of January since I have had continuous service. I can barely checked my email. I have had technicians in my house twice and was told to buy a cord. I still have problems an it is Feb 16. Then he has the audacity to try and upsell me. My contract is up. So glad. I am paying 50 bucks a month for a internet that I cannot use. I will be calling the guy from time warner/charter today!! I thought this would be a good option, but it gets old when you have to walk five blocks in the rain to get to a library to use internet when you pay for internet.

Brian butlee
January 25th, 2016 Silver Spring, MD

I been trying to get installed since January 8 and all thy do is lie and give u the run around and tell lies

ELSP13
December 4th, 2015 Spokane, WA

HORRIBLE! Earthlink is a dying company and service and program are awful. I had to have EarthLink for several years because of where I lived. Not even satellite was available. The program has always been very slow, even at work when I use broadband. Very basic program with extremely limited options for settings, etc. When I had to order a modem it was so cheesy (flimsy plastic and wiring) it didn't work. I sent it back and the next one broke in a month. Then I finally had enough after all these years and called to cancel. They had the audacity to bill me for the 30 days AFTER CANCELLATION! Making me pay for a month I wouldn't even use. I went ahead and paid it so I would never have to communicate with that dying company ever again.

Nicolè
July 7th, 2015 Houston, TX

THIS IS THE WORST INTERNET SERVICE IN HISTORY! I paid a bill for my mother once and they debited my acct and hers for the bill that was supposed to be every month turned into every 3 weeks! Its a scam don't be fooled

Susan Nelson
June 9th, 2015 Xenia, OH

Not all features on a user's home page work. 'Tech support' is absolutely terrible when one tries to point out what isn't working in their programs. They don't know their own programs of how their accounts work (We have an additional users under my name with their own e-mail addresses and home pages)