EarthLink Internet Logo

EarthLink Internet

5.4

Over one million internet users have chosen EarthLink as their internet service provider.

EarthLink internet has a fiber optic network that spans the nation with more than 28,000 miles of fiber internet routes. It offers internet access to residential customers as well as both small and large businesses.

Over the last two decades, EarthLink has constantly grown and improved its services. EarthLink was acquired by Windstream in 2016.

View EarthLink Reviews

The Good

• Variety of Network Types
  • Plan Options and Pricing
  • Additional Benefits

Variety of Network Types

Every EarthLink internet plan takes advantage of a wide range of connection types. They offer customers satellite internet, cable, dial-up, fiber optic technology, and DSL service options by working with other providers. All of these options have their advantages and disadvantages, and your choice will depend on circumstance.

The good news is the internet provider may offer more than one option for your area. If you're looking for cutting-edge, high-speed service, ask about fiber. If you're in a rural area where you can't seem to find much more than dial-up service, check out satellite internet options. Looking for something that compromises speed and price? Go for EarthLink's broadband services.

Plan Options and Pricing

EarthLink has many options for customers. Though EathLink's reach is fairly limited, its partnered providers can get you service through EarthLink Connections:

• Hyperlink Internet — $49.95 per month, download speed up to 1 Gbps
  • Satellite Internet — starting at $49.99 per month, plans through third-party providers Viasat and HughesNet, up to 100 Mbps
  • DSL Internet — $14.95 for the first three months, up to 15 Mbps
  • Dial-up Internet — $9.95 for the first three months

The download speeds listed here are the maximum possible. The actual speeds may vary based on location, time of day, and devices and systems used. Prices can also vary based on your location.

The Hyperlink Internet plan uses fiber-optic technology and has no data caps. The starting monthly cost of this plan is $39.95. There are also additional fees:

• Installation fee — $69.95
  • Modem fee — $74.95, or $6.95 per month

The Hyperlink Internet plan has a twelve-month contract and an early termination fee of up to $200.

The DSL Internet plan begins with a monthly price of $14.95 for the first three months of the twelve-month contract. EarthLink does not charge an activation fee for DSL service. However, customers are required to use an approved modem that can be purchased for $74.95 or $6.95 per month. An early termination fee of up to $90 will apply if customers end their contract early.

Customers who choose the Dial up Internet plan have unlimited dial-up access across the United States. Customers must pre-pay for this plan. New subscribers can pre-pay $9.95 per month for the first three months. After that, the annual pre-pay is $174 or $24.95 per month.

It's unlikely that you'll choose dial-up, because it is one of the oldest and slowest services available, but this may be your best option if you have no other choice for connection.

Additional Features

EarthLink ISP subscribers have access to several benefits as part of their high speed internet service plan.

• EarthLink Email
  • MyEarthLink Portal
  • EarthLink Support
  • My Account

Users can set-up an email account with EarthLink that also comes with a mobile app for convenient use. It also includes virus and spam protection and the ability to use anonymous email addresses.

With the MyEarthLink Portal, users can customize their internet browser homepage to stay up-to-date on the news, sports, social media networks, etc.

EarthLink Support provides tech support to customers. EarthLink Support representatives are available via chat or phone.

Every EarthLink User has an account with EarthLink that allows them to manage their internet billing online.

The Bad

• Speed Variability
  • Plan Transparency
  • Limited High-Speed Range

Speed Variability

While the customers of EarthLink will be able to choose from a wide variety of different technologies, these options may not be capable of high speed. Every specific location has different speeds based on varying factors, the customer will have to check with customer service agents to get exact speeds for their area.

Upload speed varies by area as well, but are generally a great deal slower than the download speeds. This is fairly standard for the industry. Interested customers should check with EarthLink to see if what plans and what speeds are available in their area.

EarthLink's top speed 75 Mbps is fairly competitive for the industry, though there are other internest service providers with download speeds greater than 100 Mbps.

Plan Transparency

Unless you contact EarthLink directly, it can be difficult to determine whether your location has access to certain plan and what price the plan will be. EarthLink could make information about its plans more easily accessible on its website.

Limited High-Speed Range

EarthLink can help customers in all 50 states because of its EarthLink Connections program with Viasat and HughesNet. The two satellite providers can get almost anyone internet access.

Additionally, EarthLink is one of the largest DSL providers in the United States. You might have luck finding an EarthLink DSL plan in your area.

But EarthLink's fiber optic internet offerings are much more limited to a select few regions. Fiber internet is one of the fastest and most reliable connection types, so if you have the option to choose fiber, it's worth going for. It's unfortunate that EarthLink doesn't have a more widespread fiber network.

The Bottom Line

EarthLink is one of the most diverse internet service providers in the industry. They offer their customers a variety of connection options. These technologies include dial-up, satellite, DSL, cable, and fiber. All of these are the reason that EarthLink can have such a large service area and provide coverage for the whole country.

EarthLink's internet speeds overall fall on the slower end. Even though these speeds are generally faster than dial-up internet service, they are very low compared to some of the other high-speed internet service providers available. Customers interested in high-speed internet may be better served by investigating other options.

EarthLink's internet services are a reasonable price and have added bonus features such as 24/7 tech support. Be sure to investigate the availability in your area and the contract terms and conditions. Read our verified Earthlink Internet reviews to see if this ISP is right for you.

Call our recommended rep over at EarthLink Internet below.

1.4

Scott Serfozo Chicago, IL

All I wanted is to delete a certain amount of emails not all of them. I spoke with 3 support personal. Not one of them could help me. They just gave me the run around until I would give up. Or the sent me over to the survey recording. Terrible tech support.

Karla Anaheim, CA

I called EARTHLINK to inform them that we moved, and needed to change our service address. I was told that they did service the area we moved to, and to expect an email in a couple days with a timeline for the new installation. (EARTHLINK also charges $79 to move a service). I had to call them again, because I never received "the email" after waiting 3 business days. This time, a Customer Representative informed me that that they did not service the area we moved. I asked them to cancel our service, and because we were still under contract, there was a $175 cancellation fee. Seriously???? You don't service our area and we still have to pay a cancellation fee??? FYI, EARTHLINK is a Service Provider for AT&T. They don't provide the internet, which we discovered when the installation technician arrived wearing an AT&T uniform. Case and point? Don't get "tricked" into thinking EARTHLINK is some kind of a new ISP. Go directly to AT&T

juliemarie woodman Jupiter, FL

horrible costumer serivice - teck - did not show when sapossed to -- called me at 8:30 am -- an never showed - besides making rube comments - when he thought i had hung up -- he said yeah - i make sure i won't show up before noon. -- so never showed - i called earthlink at 11:26 - on phone till 12:20 -- wasted my time this morning - never showed - teck was rude - just horrible experience

mac Macedon, NY

I had no internet service for a week. Called to get it fixed, my autopay credit card number expired. I paid the balance and was told it would take 3 weeks to reinstate my service. I told them that was too long to wait and cancelled my service and got Spectrum internet the next day. Although I cancelled my service they continued to bill me. They made no effort to repair my service. They kept charging me even though they were not providing any service to my home. I just realized today they are still charging my credit card. I had to cancel it again today-this time was sure to get a cancellation number. They will not refund my payments although I cancelled over a month ago and I had no service. Really sad because I was with them for around 10 years and would have stayed a customer.

Carlos Simi Valley, CA

I am a new Earthlink customer and would like to quit doing business with them. I just signed a contract with them because Dish" transfer me to them as their Internet Partner. Shame on Dish" any way The company is taking their monthly billing from my credit card with out my approval. I called to ask them to stop and and the operator responded that is the way they do billing, I told them that I am use to paying online banking and she mention is nothing she can do. This is an American company with very Irresponsible management That lets other country run their business to make more money no matter what Service they perform Ed

Ethel Anaheim, CA

If I could give lower than 1 star, I would. Technician was scheduled to install on June 17, 2021 between 1pm and 3pm California time. He never showed up, no communication at all. I called Earthlink 4 times and waited approximately 15 minutes each time to speak to someone. I finally spoke with a rep and told her I want to cancel which she did. Very poor service.

aliza nobel Wickliffe, OH

Don’t recommend this company at al. The ppl barely know English or math. I missed one month of payment so I was trying to pay last month and this month. My bill is 70$ a month . So two months is 140$ . How my bill 253$ I called back multiple times and got different answers from different ppl . So they don’t even know . Long story short . They try to charge me 200$ Every month since I’ve had them and I always have to talk to a manager to get the issue resolved . This month though, idk what’s going on . They just scamming and finessing I guess . Can’t wait to switch

Ian Maertens Murray, KY

This place is a the epitome of a clown car operation. Absolutely horrible. I was in the process of moving from Minnesota to Kentucky and called to set up installation in KY. I called on a Wednesday, and they scheduled the install for Friday afternoon (2 days later), which was also the day we were closing on our new house. I get a call on Friday morning, from an AT&T tech, that was contracted to do the install. I told him my appointment wasn’t until the afternoon and he said he would do some pre-work outside and then come back. He came back to install the modem but it was while the sellers still had possession of the house, as we had still not completed closing. He left and we never got internet installed that day. I call on Monday to figure out what happened, and the customer service rep got really weird. He told me there was a help ticket created by the install tech and that the tech couldn’t install the modem because the cable outside wasn’t buried yet. I told him that I had never heard of that before and that the tech said he was doing work on the cable when he was there Friday morning. The rep said NO, that the guy was only contracted to work inside. So my next question was WHY did you send a guy to my house to only install the modem, when he CANT install the modem until the cable is buried. The guy started in on how he thought the tech was probably just lazy and didn’t want to do the install, he called the help ticket an “unlawful” ticket at one point. He then “confided” in me that the cable doesn’t really need to be buried to install the modem, it’s just a best practice. He changed his story and reasons multiple times over our 30 minute call. He then tells me that they can’t come and install until Wednesday, 2 days away. I told him that doesn’t work, because my wife works from home and every day we don’t have internet means she needs to take vacation or try to work from a public place. Not fun in the covid era and also a lot of places won’t let you camp out on their internet for 8 hours. He says that’s the best he can do. I ask for a manager. The manager comes on says she can’t get me scheduled any faster but that she will refund my $80 install/initiation fee. She confirms my appointment for Wednesday between 8am and 12pm. I get a text on Tuesday afternoon from EarthLink saying my install would be delayed due to a help ticket created by their facilities team. I immediately call and talk to a rep who put me on hold for 20 minutes while she talked to the facilities team. She said that she didn’t know why, but as long as the ticket was open, they couldn’t install my internet. I said that wasn’t good enough and that I had just spoken to a rep and a manager yesterday who both confirmed my install appointment. She paused and then said that she did see my appt and the notes put there by the manager and prior rep. She said don’t worry, the tech will be there. I asked about the ticket, and she said she would clear it from the system. Now it’s Wednesday at 10:15am and we haven’t heard anything from the tech. My wife calls and tells the rep she’s talking to about our appt and all of our issues so far. The rep is not super helpful but does tell us that a tech isn’t coming because there is a ....... freaking help ticket from the facilities department! She asks if we want to reschedule? Nope! We want a manager, now. We want to cancel our service and we want it done immediately. She immediately put my wife on hold. After 45 minutes on hold, I call from my phone and get connected to a new rep. I explain the situation to him and tell him that if there is not a tech at our house by 12pm, we are canceling our service. He asked for 20 minutes to figure out what was going on and that he would call me back. My wife finally hung up after being on hold for 70 minutes. To his credit, the rep did call me back. He said that unfortunately they weren’t going to be able to get a tech to us until 10 days later. Why? Because the cable at our house needed to be re-run. I had ordered 1gb fiber optic internet and the house was currently only ran for 300mb. At no point in the process, prior to this guy taking 20 minutes to find out, did anyone from Earth Link figure this out. He literally begged me not to cancel and offered me tons of credits and incentives to stay. I asked if it counted against him if I canceled while he was my rep, and he didn’t directly say yes, but he heavily inferred it and mentioned that was probably why my wife was put on hold for so long, because that rep didn’t want a cancellation on her record. So let’s summarize. My wife and I spent a total of 10 hours on the phone with these clowns, had our install appt missed twice, had our appt rescheduled twice, had our connection fee refunded due to their incompetence, and had a random cable left lying in our yard. But not for one second were we ever supplied with the internet we ordered. Would rate 0 stars if possible.

Bob L Reading, MA

Impossible to get assistance - just get the run around from uninformed call center employees. Earthlink's webmail user interface broke this week! Windows 10 PC, Chrome and Firefox browsers. Unable to open more than one email at a time. If I right click on an email link to view it in a new tab screen, it loads the Webmail login page in the new tab! That means can not view or open the Inbox and Sent mail at the same time, nor perform multiple normal email actions. The screen text is now truncated, directory folder icons are missing, outline boxes appear around the directory labels. The link URLs do not resolve properly and do not display properly in the status line. There are more problems. Earthlink reps are clueless. They have blown off my numerous requests to escalate to tech support. WARNING : if you contact 'live chat' or telephone call center, the rep will immediately ask to connect remotely into your computer and manipulate your system. NEVER ALLOW THAT! This gives them access to EVERYTHING on your machine. Anything they intend to do is trivial and they should walk you through it. Never follow their instructions blindly. Make them explain their intention in complete detail. They often give bad information. I only keep Earthlink for my long-standing email account, but it is now broken!

stevon ,

I like the fact is that you just get the final rate billed and no "teaser" rate then double the next year like AT&T, COX, etc. What I don't like is that I was told Fiber was available at my street address in Imperial Beach, CA and it is not! Moved furniture, cut holes in my ceiling to make access for the fiber run to my closet in the house. I was billed up front for fiber with an ONT modem monthly fee and a separate fee to install fiber. When the AT&T installation Tech came out he said "fiber? what fiber? there is no fiber anywhere near Imperial Beach. I only have copper to install and max speed is 24 mbps." I asked him to leave and called Earthlink support (in India) they profusely apologized and since they had my money already I went with a 24mbps service at a cheaper rate. Why don't the service reps know if there is no fiber in your area? why do they sell and bill for vaperware? This fraudulent behaviour should be stopped! this is the scamming policies of a lot of companies! which is why I did not buy internet from AT&T in the first place! I have had my battles with them before. Now I have to fix my house, apologize to the family and put my life back together

Lance Flores Seattle, WA

In greater Dallas area Earthlink uses the T-Mobile backbone. After 30 day the connection speed begins to decline and pronounced throttling occurs causing continual gaps in connection. All forms of voice and video applications become unusable; especially Skype, Viber, WhatsApp and Messenger. If you purchase 50 mb/s you will end up throttled down to about 15 mb/s. My last average test topped out at 14.8 Mb/s download and 4.13 Mb/s upload. There is little you can do because it is T-Mobile that does the throttling. The help technicians almost all know what is happening on the T-Mobile backbone. One thing you must do is turn on your secure VPN if you have that ability, stop using their rented modem get a programmable one that will deny ISP need to see your IP address. There are a couple more things you can do before you find an honest carrier (most difficult of all tasks).

XOXO Dayren Chino Hills, CA

Thank God I speak Hindi. Haven't had any issues with my service or with payments. Everyone complains about the customer service not being from America and not being able to understand them or get help, but if you'd just take the time to learn how to talk to these people your life will be 10000% easier. Unfortunately for these big companies the customer service is outsourced so you will be dealing with people from India alot. Just sayin.

AB Denver, CO

I moved from Florida to Colorado. I called Centurylink and was informed they could not get a tech out for a week, so I called EarthLink instead. The salesperson said they could get a tech out much faster, before CenturyLink could, and that they could get better speeds than CenturyLink. Then at the end of the call he informs me that they have to dispatch a CenturyLink tech to do the connection, but that won't affect the service time. So a week goes by, after charging me the activation fee, and a CenturyLink tech shows up, tries to install, then says the 20mbps speed we purchased will not be available, that best we can get is 10mbps. And then he said he wouldn't be able to complete the installation today. So EarthLink sold me a CenturyLink account that could not even match the speeds offered, and could not get a tech out faster than CenturyLink, and yet the salesperson at best was misinformed and at worst was highly disingenuous. Making any promises just to make the sale and then outsourcing all the work to CenturyLink which was cheaper in the first place and had the same lead time anyways. BAD BUSINESS!!!!!! I cancelled EarthLink, luckily got refunded after bouncing around to department after department, and instead am getting T-Mobile internet. Great job!

Carolina Martinez Las Vegas, NV

Hi I made a contract with EarthLink and now I want to take back I call 📞 sent email in the chat every single form of contact yes he come one day and say the time for update it’s almost the same midnight so in the time it’s updating you no have service what !!! Yes I know in midnight I watch movies and I don’t have internet so I was thinking why I have to pay my full payment when I don have my full month with the service I pay already for I’m so mad 😡 it’s not a week full of my internet no a single day varies the hours but the same NOT INTERNET. Some body tell me if I can complain and cancel my service it’s too expensive for nothing and I stick whit this service for the 2 years of nightmare contract with EarthLink.

Otra Historia New York, NY

Earthlink webmail, at least the service on hosting, is NOT a free service like Gmail or Hotmail. I HAVE PAID for it every month for many years. HOWEVER, their Inbox portal keeps showing me and bothering me with ads, like any other free service., which means their cookies have access to my Inbox. Don't you have enough with the money WE PAY YOU Earthlink? Why do you have to stick us more ads?

The Web Hunter Aurora, CO

I always seem to get the assistance I need when I call for help. The folks working the phones have to date always taken care of me. (I would complain here just as much, if not more if they did a poor job.) So I have to be fair. Thanks I have been here for a few years. The Webhunter

RiverBear Astoria, OR

I am a Twenty year customer of Earthlink. Earthlink was once an excellent company for customer service. Now it is terrible. Spent hours on phone and chat lines with Earthlink support. The problem is that none of my two iPads and my iPhone are receiving emails because of server issues at Earthlink. According to Earthlink customer service .... Earthlink email is not compatible with Apple Mail. !!!!! What a joke . Like anyone would stay with Earthlink and toss their Apple devices.

Old Audiophile Leverett, MA

For the last several years, or so, Earthlink has been absolutely awful! Now, I can't receive emails I send to myself from other email accounts to my Earthlink email account, including photos I forward to myself from my cell phones GMAIL email account! This evening, Earthlink webmail wouldn't even let me log on, using Edge or Chrome! Earthlink webmail is an absolute waste of money. As soon as I can make the necessary arrangements, I'm getting rid of them once and for all! Absolutely worthless!

Sam Hernandez ,

Horrible company.BEWARE they use other internet services such as Centurylink to install services.It is not directly Earthlink.They also promised fiber cable but gave me Centurylink phone line DSL.Then locked me into a contract and did not want to give me my money back.They are scammer and want your money.Plus, you can never get through on the phone its always a Indian person and your call gets drop.Save yourself the headache and stress.I got the same crappy service I had with Centurylink but got locked into Earthlinks contract for more money!

Eunice A. Ghent Tustin, MI

We connected with them through DISH. Their service is excellent but at first they tod us we had a 2 yr. contract. Through DISH we had finished our contract so the contract was waived.

Taylor Vickery Athens, GA

Horrible!!!!!! They suspended my account because of a “late payment” the day before my payment date. This is the second time, they’ve already done it once and charged $163 to have it reinstalled. Then charged my card for $79 and can’t tell me what it’s for 🤦🏻‍♀️

Hal Boylan Carbondale, IL

After 20 years Earthlink abruptly closed access to my account with no notice. With emails piling up in my account I cannot access. And I cannot reactivate account without providing then info I do not have. Totally irresponsible, unbelievable!

himeros Miamisburg, OH

i am retired and a little behind with tech, however i am now streaming all tv i gave up cable. who has not stopped charging me full price 168. a month 4 month since i gave back the equipment. so i called earthlink, all they have where i live is 24 mbps i have 7 security cams and other wifi plus a computer and tv thiews ey said it was plenty because it was fiber i already paid the 69 install fee. they said i had a month to cancel. i read a review page before i called then figured out it was there doing then i read a bunch of reviews. now i am trying to cancel the install. but can not get a hold of them.

Alex Durham, NC

8/16/19 For the last couple of weeks, ever since Earthlink tried to improve their spam blocking, most of my regular emails are going into the Known Spam folder. It took 6 days of trying with tech support before I was finally able to speak to a Level 2 and then Level 3 "executive level" help. The Level 3 was much worse than the Level 2 but neither one had any interest in helping the customer. They said all the (many) companies who are email me, whose email now goes to Known Spam, have "non-secure servers" and I was supposed to contact all of them and have them update their servers. They denied that there was ANY problem with Earthlink services. I asked for a work-around and was told there was none. I asked if Earthlink was going to find a solution and was then told "maybe next week". Which means they do actually recognize that it is a problem. Dealing with Earthlink now is a massive waste of my time. They did not care at all that I was ready to cancel my account

Ingle Accident Chicago, IL

Webmail is unreliable, often strips attachments from emails. User must check sent file to confirm that emails have actually been sent. "Chat" help is a pro forma worthless service with obvious auto-replies. Chat help is obviously serving 5-10 clients at a time, giving out the same worthless bromides, like a low-level FAQ page. Spam block service is very poor with semi-legible 'warnings' when you change settings, trashing good with the bad (but trashing permanently, not putting it in trash for review). Very bush league, amateur service, they certainly can't afford proper computer engineers to provide a reliable webmail service.

You Suck... Hagerstown, MD

THIS IS THE WORSE INTERNET COMPANY I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! I was at 5G and they changed me to a 3g. The service is HORRIBLE!!! It takes me 1 hr to watch a 30 mins show!!! i called almost everyday to speak with someone about my service and they keep reading from a script telling me that I was too far away from the office!! I told them that unless the office moved within the last 2 wks, I have not picked up my house and moved, so why did they downgrade me??? NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!! Not to mention, if you are a day late making your payment, they call you ATLEAST 10 x's a day!! I am in a remote area and my options for internet are very limited. If it was not for my home alarm, I would have cancelled them IMMEDIATELY!!! None of the customer service people speak english, nor do they udnerstand if you have a question!!! THE WORSE COMPANY!!! They lied about why the change in my service and when I find another company, I WILL BE CANCELLING MY SERVICE IMMEDIATELY!!! THEY SUCK!!! I would rather pay alittle more and have good service then pay less and have this kind of service!!! i would NOT reccommend anyone to get this service!!!

Maria Boyle Pompano Beach, FL

If I could give them a 0 star I would. This company is the worst. in service, technology and pricing. My mother signed up with Directv for cable services and internet was part of the package with AT&T. We had no idea who Earthlink was, because we never signed any agreement with this company, nor that ever received an invoice or account information. We were paying Direct TV as agreed in the service agreement. However, after not having internet for a few days I called Direct TV and that is when they advised about this company. We called to cancel the account but their fees are extremely high so we have to stay (with the worst speed) until the remaining of the year.

Pete San Jose, CA

It would be zero stars if I could give them that rating. I was an original DSL user of earthlink services. When that evolved into cable. I switched to email only, since I have had that email address for 10+ years. I've had multiple problems with billing (almost every year, they switch me from yearly to monthly when my yearly bill comes due). That's always a few chats or phone calls since they never correctly get it the first time. Usually, they double bill me instead of "switching" me back to the yearly bill. The have a horrendous problem with SPAM filtering. It's really just an exercise in frustration. I have put domains in that I do not want email from and it just blatantly doesn't work. They do not allow wild cards in their filters so trash marketers just use a domain spoof to get through. The sad part is that I have gotten SPAM with earthlink.net domain names. How can you NOT filter that. They force you to have their web mail and you are limited to 100Mb (I get 2 gigs on my free gmail email) and when the web mail fills up, they bounce back your email. Coupled with the fact their SPAM filters don't work and they require you to have web mail and web mail fills pretty quickly, you have to spend a few minutes every other day flushing your web mail account. I strongly suggest you get ANY OTHER provider than earthlink. I suspect they are just bleeding their business until it just goes away. I am moving all my logins and services (e.g. Facebook, money accounts, bank, credit cards, phone, etc.) to an alternate email account and will cancel my earthlink after this last year of service.

JOSELIN Nashville, TN

I have never had any issues with this service i have had this service over a year but now i hate this service and want to cut it off already! BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WHY CAN'T I EVER SPEAK WITH A AMERICAN PERSON! SOMEONE THAT CAN DO THINGS RIGHT . my due date was on Nov 30 and i made a payment on the 4th of December when i called to make the payment the lady was having trouble making the payment then she comes back on the phone and says she couldn't make the payment because i didn't have money on the card. I knew i had enough money because i checked my bank app . When i checked she had CHARGED THE CARD TWICE!!!!! I advised her and she kept saying no and got an attitude saying the payment didn't go through that i had to make another payment. my account showed pending so i told her i was going to call back on Monday to see if both charges went through then she gave me a confirmation number. On Monday i called because they did withdrawal money from my account from the two charges she had made. Another rep had answered the call and i had told him about what had happened and wanted my refund from the second charge they had done . He also said that he wasn't going to help me and hung up !! BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!! So now i called my bank and filed in a dispute , I want my money back! and I will be cancelling the service. they need to train their workers AND get american people instead Indian people. Not racist but each time they handle the call you cant really understand what they are saying and they do not help you at all.!!!

Kara B. Gastonia, NC

Tried Earthlink Hyperlink for a mere week and it was a bad experience from day 2. First off, the sales rep told me over chat the incorrect installation price and I had to talk to two different representatives to get the quoted price which I was told would be refunded over the span of 3 months. Well they knew what they were doing because the service is absolutely horrible and I will never keep it for the span of three months. I've had it for one week and I'm done. I chatted and called tech support 5 times altogether. I was told I'd get speeds of 12 mbps but really that meant only 80% of that (seriously?), well, I was regularly getting less than 1 mbps. I would call, they would ask me to turn off the modem, restart the computer (eye roll), 'clear' their lines, and the speed would go up to 12 mbps. Immediately after ending the call the speed would be back down to less than 1. This happened twice in one day while only trying to use one device. Imagine a regular day when my husband is streaming Netflix, my daughter is gaming, and I'm listening to Pandora. I called to cancel, the process took 15 mins and I was initially told my monthly charge wouldn't be refunded although she eventually agreed to refund the $32.37. I'm still out the $69.99 install fee for a service I had for about a week and was abysmal the entire time, plus the time dealing with the install and customer service. At no time was the sales rep upfront about the actual speed I would get or that this would be using AT&T DSL lines (which I had tried before and knew was very slow) and gave me misinformation on top of that (I'll never see the refund for the difference in price on the install fee I was quoted). If anyone out there is thinking about using Earthlink--DON'T DO IT!!!

Rebecca Seattle, WA

EarthLink customer since 2001. Last straw happening. No DSL service and waited 4 days to have my phone lines checked. Was to be fixed today. HA! Learned about noon that the phone company had an order to cancel DSL line and did so. Phone company gave me the order number from the order they received from EarthLink 6 days before I had no internet. Have had no internet for 4 days, waiting patiently only to learn they made a mistake and have not done anything to fix it. Have spent hours on the phone with EarthLink And phone company. My patience with this terrible technical and customer service is ending. Not worth the headaches I've had this week. Tired of their "So sorry for the inconvenience." statement. HA! If this company really cared about how they "inconvenience" you, their tech support would be competent and they would provide good service. Will see if this gets fixed tomorrow as promised. Was told twice today that someone would be here to check things at 7pm. Of course that didn't happen. Spent an hour waiting to talk to supervisor and promised would be handled first thing I the morning. I'll believe that when it happens! Having to change the email address I've had for 16 years can't be worse than this.

Libby Vallejo, CA

Last week I had left work early to wait for the technician to come and hook everything up and they did not show, when I called regarding the no show I was told that they tech had arrived and no one was home (which is a lie) I was home waiting the entire time. I called on Monday 08/28/17 to cancel my service because of such poor customer service. I spoke to two different people and was told two different stories. I was given a conformation number and assured that getting my money refunded would not be a problem, however when I called again today 09/01/2017 I was told that because my service was already in use I could not have a refund. How can service be in use when they never showed to hook anything up? My other issue with the company is and I know it sounds horrible, but I never spoke to anyone without an accent, I have a hearing problem and it is very hard to understand what a person is saying when the are speaking fast and trying to double talk you to keep your money. EarthLink has a lot to learn about customer service and maybe just maybe they should hire people that speak English.

Barbara Glover New York, NY

This internet is horrible. I dont like doing reviews but I got DSL nearly a year ago and It took me ten days and two techinicians to start my internet. It finally took a nice Verizon technician to get on the phone with the Earthlink technical support to get it started. Now it has been since the end of January since I have had continuous service. I can barely checked my email. I have had technicians in my house twice and was told to buy a cord. I still have problems an it is Feb 16. Then he has the audacity to try and upsell me. My contract is up. So glad. I am paying 50 bucks a month for a internet that I cannot use. I will be calling the guy from time warner/charter today!! I thought this would be a good option, but it gets old when you have to walk five blocks in the rain to get to a library to use internet when you pay for internet.

ELSP13 Spokane, WA

HORRIBLE! Earthlink is a dying company and service and program are awful. I had to have EarthLink for several years because of where I lived. Not even satellite was available. The program has always been very slow, even at work when I use broadband. Very basic program with extremely limited options for settings, etc. When I had to order a modem it was so cheesy (flimsy plastic and wiring) it didn't work. I sent it back and the next one broke in a month. Then I finally had enough after all these years and called to cancel. They had the audacity to bill me for the 30 days AFTER CANCELLATION! Making me pay for a month I wouldn't even use. I went ahead and paid it so I would never have to communicate with that dying company ever again.

Wauz Dancer Temple, GA

Service getting worse. I need to close my account and more on after 20+ years of email service. A pain in the rump as a contractor and worried my clients will not get the change of email and cost me $$$. No matter if the service is down I can read their emails sent to me. I signed up back in the day when this ISP was Mindspring. Much better service back then. Now it seems all the customer support is offshore.

Joliene Romero Clarkston, GA

This internet is trash.I wouldn't recommend you to buy this internet.We have been calling them for atleast 5 days and the lady that answered said that they would be here within 24 hours.Then the next time we called she said that there business was closed until next Monday.Ever since we have been waiting for a call.The last call was on April 18.Again wouldn't recommend you to buy this internet.

Carolyn woodson San Leandro, CA

Please do not get there service.If you want to cancel they will charge you a 200.00 cancellation fee even though it's there service that sucks.Nobody higher up that you can talk to except customer service and they give you the run around.I don't want to pay a cancellation fee for a service that I wasn't pleased with would you ?Save yourself the headache don't sign up for this service.

Jack Feasterville, PA

Earthlink has abysmal Internet service, what their advertisements claim and what is actually delivered are mutually exclusive. I've experienced lower than 1mbps download speeds, it is usually around the 100-450kbps range. Trying to use Earthlink's customer service makes you wanna jump into a swimming pool filled with rubbing alcohol and razor blades. It rivals Fallout 76 for worst connectivity issues and it just ISN'T worth anything.

Aram Accord, NY

The worst rip-off company I've had to deal with in years. They went from free email hosting to charging $4.95/ mo to just keep my email address and forward all my emails to my google account. It turns out they stopped accepting and forwarding emails six months. But it's impossible to get refunded or even stop further charges without calling. I've been on hold for 35 minutes now... Fuming!

Chad Springfield, MO

Earthlink uses whatever internet is in the area then charges an extra $15 on top of what the local company charges. They told me the speed would be 25 MB download and 10-15 MB upload speed. AT&T is my local internet and they installed the Earthlink and said that their fastest speed is 24 MB Download and 2 MB upload. After speaking with Earthlink they said that my Install fee was non refundable even though they lied about the speed they could provide in my area.

Tom Hyattsville, MD

We are exploring internet services for Las Vegas, Nevada. Earthlink's website says they provide business class internet service. When we called them, we were transferred to a 3rd party broker who said they represent Earthlink's business services and would broker internet services for us. They falsely advertise providing business class internet services - they don't actually provide it. I wouldn't deal with them.

Camille Saint Augustine, FL

I was researching internet companies and contacted Earthlink as my first option. However, when I called I literally waited almost 5 minutes before I hung up because no one answered the phone. Therefore, I will find another provider.

Lakesha Mesquite, TX

I rate them a 1 because other people was using my internet service and my service was supposed to be blocked and it wasn’t blocked at all! And then the service was running real slow too! And then it’s a rip off too I paid my bill and my service was still off!!! And the representative that was talking you can’t even understand what the world that they are saying their English is terrible so I got upset and hung up in their face I rather go with another provider

Tonya Trytten

It took 2, hour long phonecalls to have service moved from one address to another. But they did that by keeping the old account and setting up a new account and had I not called, would have billed for both. I think, because you can't understand anything they say. They are based entirely out of India. And, they only do autopay, directly from your account.

Traci Taylor

I've been a customer since 01/17, and a technician has been dispatched 3 times, because my internet keeps going out. The customer service representatives don't listen. They have you do all this trouble shooting, which doesn't resolve the issues. After all of this, they place you on hold while they contact the technical department. Then they give you a lame rehearsed excuse as to why my internet is not working. They debit my account the 27th of each month, but I can't get decent internet.

Joe Melville, NY

This is the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. The customer service is atrocious. I have complained about the same issue 7 times over the last 4 months and it is still not resolved. If i owned stock in this company i would sell it off as fast as possible. There is no way this business can earn a profit they way they do businees

Roy Nitzberg Brooklyn, NY

Been having a connect/disconnect problem since the end of July. It is now the end of September and the problem still is not fixed. Customer service representatives are bound by silly rules ("Have you disconnected your router? How many lights are showing on your modem," even after a problem goes on for months. It is also almost impossible to understand the Customer Service Reps, not because of their strong Indian accents, but because the quality of their line is so poor ... sounds like they're all underwater. This is all-in-all a miserable operation; don't get stuck with them.

julio peyrotjc Charlotte, NC

They deceive you with lies like A&T if you want a good internet get Google Fiber or spectrum EarthLink took from my bank acc $250 widout ask.

Colleen Harmon Cedar Park, TX

Terrible service, no designated channel, crappy speeds and download/upload.... Absolutely garbage customer service.. Lied about fees and manipulated hundreds of dollars

Laura Port Washington, NY

BEWARE - EARTHLINK IS TWCSPECTRUM! You won't find out until you are billed & get this - if you are an existing TWC customer, YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR EARTHLINK PROMOTIONS because......EarthLink is TWCSpectrum. I just found this out & I am currently searching the Internet for another provider. Don't be fooled like I was!