Select Home Warranty Logo

Select Home Warranty

5.4

LAST UPDATED: December 7th, 2022

Select Home Warranty has a proven track record of success. Several customers mention excellent customer service in Select Home Warranty reviews, and the company offers very competitive pricing. The warranty company has a free online quote generator and allows customers to file claims online. The home warranty company is headquartered in Mahwah, New Jersey, and has been in operation since 2011.

Read Select Home Warranty reviews below to see what real consumers have to say about the warranty service provider.

The Good

• Online Claims Submissions
  • Coverage Options
  • Promotions
  • Helpful Website

Online Claim Submissions

Submitting claims is simple through the online submission form on Select Home Warranty's website, regardless of what warranty policy you have. All a customer must do is input their personal information and policy number, as well as a description of the problem. A Select Home Warranty claims representative will then contact you shortly after your submission. This provides peace of mind to homeowners, ensuring them a technician will be contacted quickly and be scheduled to repair or replace the problematic appliance in a short amount of time.

Coverage Options

Select Home Warranty has multiple coverage options for homeowners, buyers and sellers, contractors, and people in real estate. Customers also have the choice to upgrade to Gold Care or Platinum Care if they aren't satisfied with the Bronze Care home warranty plan and they want more peace of mind. If customers are willing to spend a bit extra, Select Home Warranty offers packages that cover all major appliances and home systems. A detailed list of all appliances that are covered for each home warranty plan is as follows:

Bronze Care

• Roof leak
  • Stand-alone freezer
  • Lawn sprinkler system
  • Septic systems
  • Ice maker (in-refrigerator)
  • Lighting fixtures/plumbing fixtures
  • Additional air conditioning unit (each)
  • Additional heat/furnace (each)
  • Spa

Promotions

Select Home Warranty offers the occasional promotion. In the past, the warranty company has offered up to $200 discounts on the plan pricing, has given customers a few months of free home warranty coverage, and has even offered free roof coverage to new customers. These plans are usually time-sensitive and have deadlines, so new and potential customers would be wise to take advantage of promotions when they come along.

Helpful Website

Select Home Warranty has an extensive website that is easy to use and has a wide selection of information. The website includes a free online quote generator, making it easy for customers to get an idea of what their individual pricing and coverage would be like if they went with Select Home Warranty. The company's website also has a FAQ page and Blog section where they answer common questions and discuss topics related to the industry.

The Bad

• Repeat Service Fees
  • No Mobile App
  • State Availability

Repeat Service Fees

Select Home Warranty charges a service call fee, which customers will be expected to pay every time a technician visits their home, regardless of whether or not the item has been looked at recently. The payment must be paid at time of service, and failing to do so will result in your home service contract being suspended. If any suspension of the service contract occurs, this does not change or extend its original termination date. And any pre-existing conditions or malfunctions are not covered by the service contract. However, normal wear and tear of appliances is covered, and Select Home Warranty will repair it as part of the contract. Also, this is not uncommon within the home warranty industry to charge money for every time a repair person visits a customer's home.

No Mobile App

Select Home Warranty does not offer a mobile app for Android or Apple devices, unlike some other home warranty companies. Mobile apps are useful for customers to submit claims or pay fees through their mobile device instead of having to access a desktop, so the fact that the company doesn't offer one makes some processes less convenient.

State Availability

Service from this home warranty provider is available in most of the country. However, the company doesn't operate in the following states:

Click on your state in the list above to see the best-ranked home warranty companies available in your area.

The Bottom Line

Select Home Warranty is a highly legitimate company that offers extremely competitive pricing, a number of package options, a simple online claims process, a helpful website, and occasional promotions. Select Home Warranty has a proven track record and is great for providing homeowners protection for the wear and tear of major systems and appliances and to save money through avoiding high repair costs. With many positive reviews, the customer satisfaction level seems to be high. The company backs up its quality service with great home warranty coverage options.

We recommend that customers consider Select Home Warranty for its fantastic service and home warranty plans.

Read hundreds of Select Home Warranty reviews below to hear what customers have to say about the home warranty provider.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

3.7

Cleve Lewis Cypress, TX

This company says one thing and does another! They want their money on time but when it is time to take care of an issue, they work to find every excuse not to pay. My heater has an issue, and the tech did come out to look at it. He stated a certain part was needed to fix the issue, and he would let Select know this. A few days later I received an email stating that they needed a picture of the unit and also the maintenance records for the unit. I guess they assumed I did not maintain the unit. I provided them the name and number of the AC/Heater company that has been maintain my unit for the last 2 years. A few days later they stated that they were only going to pay $150!!! WTH?!! Now mind you I have the best policy (platinum) that they sell. They knew exactly what it would cost to fix it as the tech reported to them and it seems they kept making excuses to not pay. So, now I'm pissed, and I call them to contest the decision, the rep pulls up the claim and I advised her I did not agree with the decision, and it seem the company says it will take care of thing, but when it comes time to do so then things change. She states the maintenance records were never received. I advised her that I sent the name, address, of the phone number for the company who does the maintenance and I have an email from the rep stating they would call and request the documents. She then puts me on hold, then she comes back and says "how long has the company been maintaining the unit"? I advised her two years and she then says...."oh well we require that it has to be maintained for at least 3 years"!!!! Are you serious????? I guarantee you if I would have said the company has been maintaining my unit for 3 years then she would have said "oh it needs to be maintained for 4 years"!!!! Now, I am ready to go off...I told the woman to cancel my policy right now, then she has the nerve to launch into speech about giving me a discount on my monthly charge and one free service call.... lady are you a nut job? Oh it gets better, after I cut her off and told her to cancel it like I requested she then comes back and says..."there is a cancellation fee of $75 dollars...Ok now I'm ready to snap!!!!! DO NOT DEAL with this company..little issues they are glad to take care of but bigger issues they work to get out of taking care of it!!! Pay more and go with a better company. The customer service sucks and you are on hold forever, but call to purchase a policy and good old Bob answers the phone right away!!! Oh, and the customer service folks are somewhere in another country and don't have a clue outside of their scripts!! It was like talking to a robot..saying the same thing verbatim over and over!!

John Mathews Mission Viejo, CA

The worst of the worst. You have to jump trough hoops to get them to approve anything, then they don't repair or replace. All they do is throw you $150 and then it's up to you. Cost was $80 to have the service company out, so I really only covered $70 for a $1K job. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!!!

18 hours ago

Mano Arianpour San Diego, CA

This people do not deserve one star ,stay away from this guys . they have best managed and fabricated web ,which you will see bunch of probably fabricated good reviews . but they don’t let you write your reviews on those . save your money and time stay away from select home warranty . Less than 2 years ago I got select for 2 of my homes, about a year ago my tenant informed me that refrigerator is not cold enough, I called select and after inspection I believe they said compressor acting and is not covering warranty, i said it is part of contract ,they ignored . I didn’t wanted to argue, because I had good tenants in that house I bought new refrigerator, few months later I had small leak in my other house I called again after inspection they said need partial roof and is not covered , I said this material has 30 years warranty why I need partial replacement, they didn’t respond either,I find local guy he charged $500 and repaired small insulation issue and no more problems, 2 week ago I had problems with second house refrigerator. They inspect and they said evaporator leaking , I said it is in your contract (all part and components of refrigerator) they refer to the key word that they use to decline, I told them I was there when they checked and evaporator has not been checked how you know is no good, plus again it is included in part and component of refrigerator which you have it in your contract, they ignored again I check google reviews about select I couldn’t believe how many identical tricks they use on that many people, check it yourself , you will surprise ,probably a company manage to push most recent reviews all away down and bring good reviews up which I hope is not fabricated by someone

Marcus H Woodbridge, VA

Policy not comprehensive and that is not disclosed well on their website. They: 1) They charge the service call fee for each item as opposed to one fee for all items within a labor type (e.g. Plumbing). For example, if you have a facet leak on the first floor and second floor you need two separate tickets for that and will pay the copay(service call fee) twice for same company to service both leaks on the same day. 2) If your washing machine is leaking due to a broken seal the policy will not cover it (and you still have to pay the service call fee). 3) If you facet is leaking, electrical switch is faulty, ice maker is broken or light fixture is broken that is not covered unless you cancel your policy and pay for a new policy that includes an add-on for those items. 4) Once the unit that needs to be repaired reaches a specific age it will not be repaired or replaced. They will send you a small check instead ($50 to $200) for you to replace the unit out of pocket. The check is not disbursed until you purchase the new unit out of pocket and provide proof of purchase. 5) If you pay $2000 for a 5 year plan and you cancel 1 year and 8 months later your refund is only around $200. Never sign up for more than a year with anyone. 6) They do the minimal work to get the item repaired no matter how bad the overall condition of the item is. 7) They don't repair an item if the cost of the item to be repaired exceeds the value of the unit being repaired. 8) They have a practice of dragging out repairs and canceling tickets if you don't respond to a single email within 24 hours. This is after you have paid the service call fee for having a service provider come to your home. 9) Dispenser Water Line that is a part of the refrigerator is not covered. I wish I never left American Home Shield. Based on new research and comparisons I am going to be giving First American Home Warrantee a try. Avoid Select Home Warranty at all cost. A complete rip off.

Mary Valentino Bulger, PA

I've had the company for several years without making a claim. I finally make a claim on my washer and furnace. After a month of waiting for them to find technicians they finally told me I would have to find them. Well I Google techs near me a d found a tech which I called on Friday he came on Monday. I was told I would be reimbursed the service fee which was $100. SELECT decided they weren't going to fix the washer because it was to old. This washer was in go ok d shape except for the pump that needed replaced. I ended up losing $175 because I dropped them. They would not refund me the service call plus the charged $75 to drop them. The service I got from this company was extremely poor. I WOULD N OT RECOMMEND THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahm Rahim Rockville, CT

This is the first time I have had an appliance warranty with a home warranty. After nine months I made a phone call to fix one of the items in my house. It has been almost a month and a half and still, they didn't fix that item. Today I made another phone call for something else, that technician told me that they can fix it but the select home warranty didn't approve to fix it. I'm not sure why. One of the worst ever and I will never, ever buy a select home warranty again I would suggest everyone not buy the home warranty ever. I will make sure I update this message on social media if they don't fix my item in the next 48 hours. I will put this review on Facebook and other social media pages and google reviews as well just to make sure everyone is aware of this.

renee thomas Columbus, GA

-I would not recommend this company for anyone even if it was free. I filed a claim for my stove 24 days ago. The tech they assigned was horrible no call no show twice, rescheduled twice. when he finally showed he was an hour late. After telling me to send a picture of the serial number and model number, I was told after 3 weeks they can't get in touch with my tech to find out what part number to order. If you have the serial number and model number google can tell you the part number. I was told 24-48 hours for a resolution 2 weeks ago and everytime I call I get the run around. I have requested a supervisor 5 times in the last 2 weeks and have never been connected to one. I am going to file a lawsuit against this company. I have been a customer for 2 years and filed 1 claim this is claim #2 and everyone is useless. I have 3 children and have been without a stove/oven for 24 days. DO NOT NO MATTER WHAT PURCHASE A PLAN WITH THIS COMPANY. EVEN IF THEY OFFER IT FOR $1 THEY ARE TERRIBLE.

KM

This by far the worst customer service to deal with. I went to their online form on Oct 15th, submitted my claim for service on my furnace that would not work properly. I received an email stating that they were looking for a tech to assign. I waited a week and called them back and was told that my case was assigned on Oct 18th, but I had not received anything from the company. They tried twice while I was on the phone to call the company and told me that it was going to a voicemail box that was full. They then told me that they were re-assigning my case and that it would be another 48 hours to get yet another technician assigned. Meanwhile the temps outside had dipped to freezing and it was getting very cold in our home, which I told them and the lady didn't seem to care at all. The lady told me that I needed to find my own technician, because they could not find one. I told her no, that is not right, I am paying you for a service to take care of this while I go and do my job to support my family. She told me, sorry we don’t have any available to assign. She went on to say, I can try to send it back to our team to find a new person for you. Later that same evening I got a message stating that I had been now assigned to B&Z. I thought great, I have their information, I will call them. So I called them and was told that they did not know why SHW was sending them referrals, they cancelled with them months ago, because they still have outstanding bills from SHW from Feb, sorry they could not help me under this warranty, as they do not pay their bills. After this call, I ended up calling and getting service from the company that installed my unit when I had my house built. I am now out the $1049.98 I paid for the 3 year warranty, that this company will not fulfill. Do not trust this company. You are better off with no home warranty than to go with them.

Robyn Engel Rockville, MD

I decided to give SHW a try because they were advertised as cheaper than my previous home insurance company with the same coverage. I soon discovered why. I was with the company for about a year before filing my first claim for an electrical issue. The company told me they were backed up, but if I found my own technician and filed a claim after the fact they would reimburse me. I replied that I could wait until one of their techs was free. Fast forward 6 months and the issue is still unresolved. When I called to cancel the policy because I am finally fed up, they informed me I would have to pay a 75$ cancellation fee - even though I had been paying them monthly for a year and half with no services rendered! This was bar none the worst experience I have ever had with an insurance company - and that's saying something.

Nancy DeCaprio Corona, CA

Buyer beware!!! I have been paying into this policy for over a year. My first call two weeks ago was for my AC. They assigned a serviceman to come out, which took five days. The service man said I had a fuse that blew out and needed a new switchboard. He told me he needed approval from Select Home Warranty and would order the parts. I pay him $60.00 for his service call. Soon after, I got an email from Select Home Warranty requesting pictures of my AC; My husband climbs up in the attic, takes photos, and emails them back to SHW. If that wasn't enough, they emailed us again requesting THREE YEARS OF RECEIPTS proving I have maintained my units! I did not have three years of receipts to send them ! ( Note: We are on week two with no air conditioning ) Then they emailed me a letter stating because I did not have the three past years' receipts, they would only cover $150.00 worth of the cost of the service!!! I canceled this policy with Select Home Warranty and hired a reputable company to repair my AC. When they solicit you, they don't verbally tell you over the phone what is in the fine print of the policy section:9.1 and 9.2. They say over the phone, "We repair or replace your covered item. You pay a minimal service fee. So before signing up with a company, don't trust anything until you see everything in writing. I agreed over the phone and never received a written policy, nor did I sign one until I requested one today, which I still have NOT received!!! Meanwhile, I'm out a year's worth of insurance fees. A wasted service call of $60.00, and to top it off, they are charging me a $5.00 cancellation fee!! BEWARE!!!

Jim Lexner Pawtucket, RI

This is the most incompetent company I've ever seen 23 days and nothing has been done I've called over a dozen times and spent hours on the phone and still nothing I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

T827 Tampa, FL

Absolutely horrible experiences with them. Nickel and dime you. Tried to get parts cheaper than the tech had on hand, which resulted in a delay in getting my AC fixed in Florida in July. Had a plumbing issue and they claimed they couldn’t find a technician. Asked me to find one myself and they would reimburse some of it. Customer service seems overseas and they read off a script. Can’t get a supervisor. The worst. I had American home shield in the past and they were 1000 times better.

damiandagger Hephzibah, GA

Horrible procedure to file claim. They want the brand, the model #, and the serial before processing the claim. After that, it takes weeks to contract somebody to fix the problem. If the dispatch CAN'T find anybody, they just leave it at that. I have to call back to find out that I have to hire somebody for repair. On top of that, they will find any possible reasons NOT to reimburse your claim. Basically, you are buying a warranty program THAT is not going to pay you back if anything is broken.

Brenda Staley Homedale, ID

My refrigerator is 4 years old and it quit I contacted them and was told to try and get my own repair person and they would rein-verse my fees. I cant afford almost 1000.000 for a new compressor. We have talked every other day for over a month now and they offered me 500.00. I have tried to get a superviser and they wont call back.I did not accept so they canceled my policy. Now Im without a refrigerator and I have children in the home. In my opinion its just a scam

Henry Favro San Francisco, CA

This company does not live up to it's reviews! Very Unhappy and abandoned! I have an electrical problem which is very dangerous and the the repair service contracted by Select cannot fix my problem! Even after 5 visits!! I have blinking lights that don't go off! and Select won't assign another company to fix my issue. They claim that they have approved $500 for repair for me to get my own company, but refuse to send me documentation of that fact. I asked three times for them to send me a confirmation e-mail and I am still waiting. This company does not stand by its promise to "Treat my Home Like it was their home" UNRELIABLE!

JL Greenville, SC

After receiving the Contract from SELECT, it was obvious the salesman (E.B.) lied to me about several conditions on the Warranty Contract. 1. Told me that Freon coverage ($25) was included in my payment => A LIE, it was never included in Contract received. 2. Told me my "Terms & Conditions" would be identical to those listed on the SELECT website => ANOTHER LIE, the contract received listed HVAC & all other Appliances with significantly reduced coverages ($500 in lieu of $3,000 & $150 in lieu of $500) during the 1st-3 months of the policy. 3. I emailed him, to ensure my additional conditions and disclaimers were in writing to him, that the HVAC units were previously repaired several times and there really were not any maintenance records except for repair invoices. I wrote that these conditions must be accepted by SELECT and that they would not limit the warranty coverage and $$$$ limits in any way. He verbally stated that those conditions would not be a problem and encouraged me to finalize the Contract with him. => ANOTHER LIE, many of these conditions may not hold up for warranty coverage per the SELECT contract. In Summary, this entire experience with the sales rep and SELECT was very Deceptive, Fraudulent Business Practices & False Advertising. They deliberately and fraudulently list on their website a set of "Terms & Conditions" that are completely different than the "Terms & Conditions" sent to the customers who accept their Contracts. When I confronted (email) the salesman about all of the above deceptive and misleading "sales pitches" presented to me he immediately said he would have his supervisor cancel the contract. This was not my decision or choice, but he obviously realized that I had caught him in so many unethical, fraudulent agreements that he wanted rid of me ASAP. Subsequently, he & SELECT have been reported to my state's Department of Insurance for Deceptive, Fraudulent Business Practices & False Advertising.

Dave Fletcher Fredericksburg, VA

Select Home Warranty is horrible. Here is what they do. If your appliances are over 5 years old, they will claim the repair cost exceeds their depreciation value as outlined in their “terms and conditions”. It may, but I couldn’t find it. They offered me $100 toward the repair/replacement on my $700 microwave. They offered me $150 toward replacement of a $2300 refrigerator. I have the emails to prove it. Luckily I got both repaired on my own for $250 total without using SHW. DO NOT USE this company unless all of your appliances are brand new. But if that is the case, why would you need a warranty.

Lorenzo Olvera Boise, ID

Absolutely the worst customer service! Ron S, a Manager in their executive customer relation department, was the least friendly and helpful corporate representative I have ever interacted with. After many requests to speak to his supervisor, Ron transferred me to someone in the claims department, which just wasted everyone's time. I was either lied to by their sales representative about the policy being transferrable, or Select Home Warranty is not honoring aspects of their contract. After speaking to what I believe are over 10 Select Home Warranty employees, someone decided to cancel my account. Even as I write this review, I am told that the account can be transferred to the new property. Let me save you the headache, consider a different home warranty.

Edirisuriya De Saram Washington, DC

I am paying almost $50 per month for the last couple of years. . I had my stove problem and it took couple of weeks to get a technician after paying a co-payment of $75. The technician said the parts are not available anymore and I had to replaced and it came to $1,360. I was only told I would be reimbursed only $175 of this purchased and that was in 1st of August. Today is September 21 and I have yet to be reimbursed my lousy $175. Why should you pay monthly about $50 and get just $175 months after the claim date for replacement cost of about $1,360. This is just a scam! please allocate some money to a savings account monthly and you would be much better. Don't get caught to this scammers!

Chris Ede Bryan, TX

Professionalism. They lack competent technicians. When they ask customers to use their own technicians, they will not pay for the full service amount. Again, they will most of the time find excuses to deny an expensive claims. Dissatisfied customer.

Kim D Fountain Inn, SC

On my first call I was told that if you have two issues that are related (plumbing) you have to pay a service call for each issue. I've never been with a warranty company that did that. Then I was told I'd be charged a $75 fee to cancel my month to month contract. Never again.

Tanmeet Singh Salt Lake City, UT

Guys don’t buy there policies they are so cheap every claim you will make somehow they will put in west and tear so they don’t have to fix im warned you again and again do not buy them even pay somewhere else more but at least they will cover your home i made two cases in last three years there’s tech came and damage more and told me to come back and fix it but he put it on it’s not Normal wear and tear so they can’t cover it cause he messed up more

John Davis Arlington, TX

This company is a fraud as others have stated. They don't warranty any of the major A/C Components. I had the Executive VIP membership and I got hit with a $4700 A/C bill at my house and this company DID NOT warranty any of the work. The wiggled around the terminology in the plan so they didn't have to pay. My service technician told me this company is a fraud and will never approve any service work more than $250. And he was right. Get your money back IF you can.

DJ Walker New Port Richey, FL

The same info was just given to me for the fourth time!!! I cannot tell you how angry I am to have done business with this company!!! I believe that I have to stay glued to my e-mail so to make sure that I get right back to them! This is the most horrible company that I have ever paid money to! Cannot get my money back! Oh well, I will continue to my opinion in our newsletter that goes out to several homeowners' associations.

Josette T Katonah, NY

I purchased a warranty through this company. I paid $500 and every single cent of it was a waste of money. I had my air conditioner repaired and it came to $625.92. I was only told I would be reimbursed $150 of this repair and that was in July. Tomorrow is September 1 and I have yet to be reimbursed my lousy $150. I called today to be told by customer service that The person who processed my reimbursement did not send me the proper email so that I could electronically sign it and process my reimbursement. Now I was told after calling today that I have to wait another 30 business days for them to even start to process it. If I could give this a zero star company I would. The people are completely incompetent at this company. The only person that made any sense was the person who sold me this policy which Isn’t worth the paper it was printed on. Oh wait, I didn’t get a policy in the mail. I got one in an email that I had to dig to find and lots of fine print. Do yourself the biggest favor ever and don’t bother with this company at all!!!

Susie Hogan La Quinta, CA

--🌟: I wish I had read these reviews first. I do have the Platinum Policy and everything that was covered in the Terms, but they will not send out anyone to look at my Pool Filter. Submitted 4 times and multiple calls. Now the are denying an AC problem. The denial said I was not covered for my second floor AC. I never said that, I live in a single story home! Bottom line, these people writing down info over the phone are making decisions, but first they back you into a corner( by bringing up issues that would cause you to be denied) and after that there is no way they will readdress it. Good like trying to find someone in any other department. I got a supervisor that was even worse than all the other 5 people I spoke to. Really sad seniors are sold this BILL OF GOODS.

Erin Schrier Austin, TX

1 star is generous. I couldn't select zero. I NEVER right reviews, but this is a HORRIBLE company. Laughable reimbursments for appliances. Questionable technicians for services. Do yourself a favor a stay away.

Jim O'Brien Martinez, CA

Total SCAM of a company. EVERY claim we submit for a repair is rejected and they offer us the "depreciated value" of the appliance. To fix our oven, the quote came in at $725. They paid us the depreciated value of $185. Same for our microwave. If your appliances are over 5 years old, you'll never get them repaired...you will only get a check for a tiny portion of the cost of the repair. SCAM artist.

Michael Jones Sacramento, CA

This company is a TOTAL FRAUD. They are using all sort of SCAM to drag customer into agreement. The moment you agreed to pay them, you lost everything. We had this insurance for 16 months and when we filed 4 claims during that time (Appliance repair, Water heater issue, A plumbing leak and broken AC fan). They denied all 4 and every time we paid the contractor $65 to each every one of them. They caused us pain and grief. We paid them over 16 months a total of $1200 and they fixed nothing. THIS COMPANY IS A VERY BAD COMPANY. Stay away from them.

Jigar Patel

I am regretting making decision to go with this horrible company. I don't feel like we giving even one star. My AC unit had issues and we raised claim in early July and they been assigning different contractor but no one showing up or responding. We went through 3 such contractors in two months and we are still without AC in this heat. This company does not have good technician contracted.. STAY AWAY from this company. It is fraud.

Scott Benjamin Lake Isabella, CA

The absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. Rude service of course they had to come up with some sort of bylines or or in subsection whatever how this isn't covered and that's not going to be covered absolute complete b******* this company sucks don't waste your money they will not honor anything and when they do it's ridiculous absolutely ridiculous

Melinda Houston, TX

Thank goodness I never had to file a claim. I am trying to cancel my policy because I sold my home and I'm not transferring to a new owner or buying another house. I've been on hold three times, disconnected twice. After 45 min someone answers. She says her supervisor has to call me back. I doubt I'll ever hear from anyone and I don't know when I'll have 4 free hours to call again.

Eva Veronica Willis Hanford, CA

Home Select are a real scam, waiting over 2 months to be denied over the information they have had from DAY ONE! Was promised a pretty reimbursement of $150 that did not not arrived after 2 more months so I moved forward with cancellation at another steep charge of $75 and of course in additional $42 monthly payment for the pre-purchased month that followed. It was like a bad dream never ending with this people… As a last argument I said “what about my reimbursement of $150?” “Sorry ma’am we don’t give reimbursement to cancelled policies?!!! I want to cry. You can only reasoned to much with these folks as their customer service is foreign so an overwhelming of “sorry ma’am” is about all you’re going to get for your monthly subscription.

Myrafiel Pangantihon Antioch, CA

Worst home warranty ever. I paid more than a thousand of dollars to them. After 7 months, I filed a claim for garbage disposal. After assessment on their claim department, they will just reimburse me of $100 after I fix the garbage disposal. They could not send a technician to do the job. Imagine what they claim is they are offering PEACE of Mind but NO! they are giving the opposite, scamming your hard earned money and would not even do any service. Homeowners will find a way to fix it, and after paying them thousands of dollars, they will give you back $100 for the job. This is a terrible Home Warranty ever... Lesson learned here, research well for the Home Warranty before getting one... search for reliable reviews.

Nicole Trull Munich, BY

This company is a fraud. We have been trying to get reimbursed for the last five months for plumbing service that we had done in January. Each time we called they gave us a different excuse as to why the check had not been mailed, which reset our 30 business days time frame for mailing out the check. Resetting the 30 business days means we have to keep paying a monthly fee in order to get reimbursed despite the account being active when services were rendered. The check was expected to be mailed out a few weeks ago, but because the card that was on file expired they will not issue our reimbursement. We have to pay the fee, wait another 30 days, which requires an additional monthly on top of the current one since 30 business days will go into the next one. They claim we have to be active in order to be reimbursed. In March and April they sent the payment to the plumber, which defeats getting reimburse if we already paid him. In May someone on their end accidentally cancelled our account and charged our account $75. This kept our check from being mailed out. They fixed it, but it reset the time frame. Now they refused to send the check unless we pay another monthly fee and wait another 30 business days, which will overlap into another month of fees. We have done round and round for months but to no avail. Contractors won’t even work with them because they delay approval of service and sometime payment.

Tyler Larson

Third update: My AC broke and Select Home Warranty took 2 weeks to fix it in 100 degree weather. They lied to me on multiple occasions during this process. They wanted to save $200 which is why it took 2 weeks to order generic parts for the repair rather than having the repair done in 3 days with the appropriate Carrier parts. They lied to me and said they had ordered Carrier parts. They lied to me and said the repair technician didn't have parts which is why SHW had to order them. I confirmed all of this to be false. This was unethical and inhumane and this company will be losing all 5 of my accounts now. So saving $200 dollars just cost them over 10k in business with me plus all the people I will be steering away from them in the future. I work in real estate so this will cost you. Second update: Do not use this company. You have better customer service options when it comes to home warranties. Sales people were great obviously but customer service has been a total nightmare. They won't answer the phone when contractors call so you have to schedule 2 visits with your contractor. I've now requested 3 times for my policy to be emailed my policy information and have not received it. I own 4 separate 5 year policies with them. Really regret my purchases now. I've spent hours on the phone with them just for simple services. Updated: Contract clearly states when they decide on a cash settlement rather than repair or replace they pay you cash but this is not true. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops sending invoices, repairing and replacing the item yourself etc. I spent an hour on the phone over a measly $100 check. Other warranty companies just mail a check no question. Subpar customer service, communication is poor, emails look like they were formatted in the 90's and lack needed info such as address, policy number etc. The website is useless.

John Kennedy Lutz, FL

I was fooled by the good reviews that seem to be paid ads. Surprised Yelp reviews are not on page one of google search. Select Home Warranty is a complete sham. They do not fix your appliance nor will they replace it. If the repairs are expensive or if the appliance needs to be replaced, they don't do either !!!! They'll offer you $100 or $150 towards paying for a repair or towards a replacement. They don't fix it nor do they replace it!!!! They hide language in the agreement to do this.... however, their sales and marketing materials say repair and replace. Don't waste your money here. Put $40 or $50 aside each month to pay for a repair or replacement yourself. Go buy a warranty somewhere else, you'll be giving them $40 / $50 month for nothing!!!! Complete rip off !!!!! No wonder they don't have a BBB review !!!!

Teresa Louisville, KY

I have had nothing but problems with this company! It took 3 months to get my washer fixed!! Now I’m having problems with our AC. I started my claim in April it is now the middle of June. The temperature outside is 95-100 degrees and it’s 96 degrees in my house and still not fixed!!!!! This is absolutely NUTS!!!!!!They have sent 3 different people from 2 different companies to diagnose the problem!!! Still not fixed!!!! I have called every day for the last 2 weeks!! Still nothing!!! Oh they give me lots of promises!!!! But I’m still burning up in my house because they won’t actually FIX my AC problem!!!!! This is absolutely the worst company I have ever had to deal with!!!!! Just FIX my AC already!!!!!

Art Hubbard Andrews, NC

I am a single, legally blind female senior who recently purchased a new home. New to the area, and not knowing any reputable plumbing, electric or HVAC companies, I purchased a home warranty from Select Home Warranty (SHW) company. After the warranty period began, I called SHW about a problem with my hot water heater. I went through the claim process and after a week of waiting for a technician, I received an email from SHW stating they could not find a technician and I needed to find my own. I did not know about the reimbursement option, and no one I talked to as SHW explained it to me either. I had to pay the cost myself. I had been "covered" by the SHW "warranty" for less than a year and they left me to fend for myself. I felt that I had been scammed out of $1934.96 ("warranty price") and all I got for my money was excuses and no resolution whatsoever. I contacted SHW again about a warranty issue. On Monday May 16th I called because I was having a plumbing issue. After my phone call with the manager, I received an email to call the "escalations team". On Thursday May 26, called and spoke with Nicholas. We discussed cancelling my policy and getting a refund. He then proceeded to tell me that he did not have a computer to send me information about a refund to me. He could talk to me but could not send me anything in writing. Nicholas did tell me he would have billing send me the refund information. I received an email from Ron S a "manager in the executive customer relation department", to call him. I returned his call Friday May 27. From the beginning Mr. S was aggressive, rude and kept trying to bullying me by interrupting me and talking over me. I asked him what SHW would pay as a refund of my policy. I asked for that information in writing. Mr. S told me that he could tell me about the numbers over the phone but not in writing, he said that the billing department could only provide those number and his would be an estimate. I asked him to send me the estimate via email and he agreed. I have not received any information regarding my cancellation/refund options and no technician has been sent to my house to work on my plumbing issue. This has been almost a month.

Josie O Conroe, TX

We are currently trying to file a claim regarding plumbing that backed up into our home. We have 2 kids under 2 and I am 3 weeks postpartum. We haven't had water for almost a week and sewage backed up into our home. We can't do anything until the warranty company gets back to us. It took 3 days for the technician to come out and they told us it will take another 2 to (possibly) get approval for the technicians to fix the issue. A plumbing emergency that obviously isn't quite important enough for the warranty company. What a waste of time, money and energy. We also previously filed one claim in the summer, which they denied us, claiming the technician they sent out said there was mold on the HVAC unit. The independent contractor we had come out after we were denied said that there was no mold on the system. We ended up having to pay for it all ourselves.

Select Home Warranty Logo

Reply from Select Home Warranty

We are sorry for the experience you have had. Please call our customer service dept. at 855-267-3532 x 5, We will do our best to satisfy your needs

Jan. 19th, 2021

Vigneshkumar Natarajan

This is my first home warranty policy and I had a horrible experience with Select Home Warranty and I will never choose this company again. CLAIMS TEAM: I had an issue with my kitchen faucet during mid of Dec 2019 and called up the claims team to file a new claim. I have not been assigned any technician for the first two weeks. Everyday when I call them to follow-up on my claim they keep saying it will take another 24-48 hrs to get the technician assigned. Later they assigned me a contractor company in the first week of Jan 2020 and When I called the contractor company to schedule an appointment I have been told by the contractor company that they no longer work with Select home warranty. I called the Select Home warranty again and told that the contractor assigned is no longer work with select home. Then they said they will assign a new contractor in next 24-48 hrs. After one more week of frequent calls with select home I got a new contractor company assigned to me last week and when I called them to schedule an appointment they said that they no longer work with Select home (it seems to be same company they previous assigned me but this one has a different name). As it's already a month so I took the option of choosing my own contractor and the approval process took another one week to get it approved. It's totally been 40 days to fix my faucet issue through home warranty that too with my own contractor. SALES TEAM: My realtor worked with this company to set-up my policy initially during Oct 2019 so I was not aware of the add-ons chosen. Recently I had an issue with Kitchen Faucet issue in my home and I have to contact the Select Home warranty to assign a technician that time they told me that my policy don\'t have Plumbing fixtures add-on so I have to purchase that for additional $65. Later the sales person convinced me to get an additional 2 years coverage and plumbing fixtures added to my policy($770 + $65). After that callWhen I went back to my initial policy confirmation document I noticed the plumbing fixtures was already there in my coverage. When I called them to request for my $65 refund they were arguing with me that I don\'t have that coverage initially and not ready to listen to what I saw in my policy confirmation document. I have to call them everyday in a week asking for the refund which was really frustrating and I stopped calling after a week and finally I figured out it could be a typo error in the policy document in which they mentioned ""Plumbing Fixtures"" instead of ""Roof Leakage"" (which is a free of charge) in my initial policy confirmation document. Later I found Roof Leakage was also not there in my policy coverage. when I called to enquire about that I was requested to purchase some additional policy offers instead of resolving my problem. I got the roof leakage added in my coverage finally after talking to 3-4 people with Select home warranty in the same week. The bottom line is : Why the Claims team is not responsible for assigning a proper technician and why they are not even aware of a contracting company they stopped working with them (twice). Also I am wondering how easily the sales team is sending an incorrect policy information to the customer and they are selling more stuffs to you when you call them to resolve your existing problem. This is my first ever internet review you should realize how much frustrated I am to come and log my first review.

Tracey Thomas

They are the worst company & I hope no one ever signs up with them again. I called them for my washer & they would only 'reimburse' me $150 of buying a new one. Then I call them for my air conditioner; they covered the leak but wouldn't cover putting freon back into the unit. That's most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. How is an air conditioner supposed to cool without freon?? So I paid $125 deductible but then had to pay $220 for the freon. They were out $15 after I've been paying them $49/month for over a year. Then 2 weeks later when they had to come back out for the A/C I was assured that it was covered under the same deductible. But then they said I had to pay that because the technician found another part that needed replaced. It's their technician & how am I supposed to make sure he checks everything the first time?!?! These people are crooks!! I have cancelled my policy & hope everyone else does as well.

George

When our dryer broke down they were good about fixing it. However, when we had problems with our air conditioning system it was a different story altogether. They want proof of maintenance records they say on All items of your home other wise according to their contract you are given $150.00 towards repair. This is not what we were told before entering into contract with them. They were Very quick and Very persistent that we pay for a full year to get 1 month free. They never even sent the contract which they claimed they did and said it was my fault for not requesting it which we did numerous times. They are Very deceitful and after spending 1 year with them I would not reccomend them if they were the only home Warranty on the planet. They claim if I send them our home inspection the will keep the case open. No way. That was not said at the beginning. The only thing they kept telling us that if Anything breaks down, large or small we pay the $60.00 service fee and they repair or replace for no extra cost. It's a lie !!!

Sandra Herrick

I made a claim on both my washer and dryer within the first three months of my warranty. I was charged a service charge for both appliances. One appliance was fixed and the other was allowed but was outside of my limit within the first three months of the warranty. On the fifth month of my warranty I requested that the second appliance the dryer be repaired and it was denied because apparently the washer in the dryer are considered one appliance. If this is true why was I charged to service charges in the first request and deniedzOne appliance was fixed and the other was allowed but was outside of my limit within the first three months of the warranty. On the fifth month of my warranty I requested that the second appliance the dryer be repaired and it was denied because apparently the washer in the dryer are considered one appliance. If this is true why was I charged to service charges in the first request and deniedIn the second request? This is a bogus organization.

Dan H Brown

I have found them to be a fraud. I had an appliance stove top, I called them, they sent out there repairman, paid him the required fee he diagnoesd the problem to be with the power coming into house as bad, called Entergy electric supply, they were responsive within 30 minutes they had there representative to my home, he was extremely knowledgeable and through he walked me through the power supply and showed me the amp readings from the primary to my panel and what I was getting from the panel to my home. I then called SHW I then called SHW electrician for 2 days ,I then called SHW and ask them to try and reach their electrician and after several attemps to reach him they then called me back and informed me that they could not reach their electrician and if I knew a electrician they were giving me the authorization to work with my electrician. I called my electrician and he quickly found that the cook top control panels were bad and told me where to go to get the parts. I then ordered the parts and once they were in my hands to call him back and he would install them. He also told me that I would save money by ordering and picking up the parts he would only charge for one service call, They sent the wrong part and I had to have the part reordered and they got the right part on the second try. Even with the mix up my electrician only charged me for one service call when he reall was at my house 3 times to complete the repair. Now I turned in all the receipts with the labor bill from my electrician the total came to $465+ and after many go arounds with SHW they sent me a check for $186+ for the second time and I still have not returned it I am waiting for my attorney to tell me how we will proceed. These people pay some entry level person to relay messages but I am so disappointed and frustrated but I will continue to pursue though it is costing me more than $400 but I will make them keep there word. This is a HORRIBLE company. They are a bunch of order takers but crappy service. The electrician they sent was shabbily dressed and uninformed.0

It appeared to be a lower rate and that they would cover a lot but there are a lot of exclusions that end up costing a lot of money. It irritates me that they need the guy to get on the ground and figure out whether or not it is covered, that is something that should be covered before they are dispatched. I just want them to get their act together. I don't think they are adequately screening their contractors. They are also more or less not trying to cover things, you call and the person on the phone tries to make it seem like it is your fault or something you did. It is adversarial situation and they need to cut that out.

Big Phil

they don't fully disclose what or what not is covered. Be careful and read carefully all the fine print if you don't you will find out alot is not covered. I had a water heater leaking at the bottom because of its age, they said not covered so what's the good of having a warranty product. They also don't cover a/c checkups, they say we will repair when broken. the point i make is find something small and replace a part that is soon to go out and then save a major repair. Also check your contract, they don,t cover freon that is needed in your unit. also read the fine print they anly pay 150 dollars the first year of the contract. BE CAREFUL and READ all the fine print before you sign it. I will never use this company!!

Ross

The company is full of liars, and will tell you whatever to get your money. I pay a year in advanced and have been lied to and screwed over not once but twice from this company. They screwed me over on my fridge for around $500 and I told them I would give them another chance. When my HVAC unit went out they then screwed me out of $1200 cause they would "Only" cover damage cost yet we had to put a new unit in "Cost me $5200" for a new unit. Ohhhh also they wouldn't replace my fridge because the person who suggested us to get a new fridge didn't write " needs a new fridge" on the paper YET I heard him state to them and the lady said she was typing it"Lied" that he felt the fridge should be replaced due to age. I would highly highly recommend using a different company!!! For they will lie right to your face 'Bunch of crooks" I am currently waiting for my year in advance subscription to be over so that I may find a better company that actually doesn't LIE to there customers!!! I honestly would have canceled already but they then take money from your account for early termination fees, I figured they have already been stealing from me no point and letting them steal more money.

Sarah

Terribly pushy and rude sales people that will hang up on you. Deceitful salesmen who tell you not to worry and that if you cancel you can get a prorated refund, but fail to mention penalties and "Adjustments." Even the not-as-rude ones don't listen, talk over you and focus only on your money versus actually helping. Mainly, waited over 2 days just to get a call from an AC repair guy while my dogs were dying of heat and ended up calling someone else and just eating the $6k. Never should have gotten this warranty. Total waste of time, money, planning and frustration. Ridiculous deductibles and never any real help. Worse than used car salesman and not worth it at all.

Kelly White

Not the company I thought they were. My garbage sink disposal was leaking and they won't send anyone out for that. They send they would just process a claim for a new one an send it to me to install. As if I a housewife is going to know how to install a garberator. So they processed the claim as a plumbing issue so I could get someone to come. Then someone finally came and they said it was the garbage disposal and was going to replace it but now waiting on an email approval which still hasn't come. Then I have water leaking put of the botton of my refrigerator so I asked for someone to come and they sent an email saying they won't send anyone cause its not a condensation or plumbing leak so they don't fix that. So I have to get my own technician to come and look at it. A joke especially when I'm paying them $400 a year. I wish I could cancel my warranty but they won't let me cause I'm locked in for a year.