Select Home Warranty

6.1

LAST UPDATED: January 13th, 2022

Select Home Warranty has a proven track record of success. Several customers mention excellent customer service in Select Home Warranty reviews, and the company offers very competitive pricing. The warranty company has a free online quote generator and allows customers to file claims online. The home warranty company is headquartered in Mahwah, New Jersey, and has been in operation since 2011.

Read Select Home Warranty reviews below to see what real consumers have to say about the warranty service provider.

The Good

• Online Claims Submissions
  • Coverage Options
  • Promotions
  • Helpful Website

Online Claim Submissions

Submitting claims is simple through the online submission form on Select Home Warranty's website, regardless of what warranty policy you have. All a customer must do is input their personal information and policy number, as well as a description of the problem. A Select Home Warranty claims representative will then contact you shortly after your submission. This provides peace of mind to homeowners, ensuring them a technician will be contacted quickly and be scheduled to repair or replace the problematic appliance in a short amount of time.

Coverage Options

Select Home Warranty has multiple coverage options for homeowners, buyers and sellers, contractors, and people in real estate. Customers also have the choice to upgrade to Gold Care or Platinum Care if they aren't satisfied with the Bronze Care home warranty plan and they want more peace of mind. If customers are willing to spend a bit extra, Select Home Warranty offers packages that cover all major appliances and home systems. A detailed list of all appliances that are covered for each home warranty plan is as follows:

Bronze Care

• Roof leak
  • Stand-alone freezer
  • Lawn sprinkler system
  • Septic systems
  • Ice maker (in-refrigerator)
  • Lighting fixtures/plumbing fixtures
  • Additional air conditioning unit (each)
  • Additional heat/furnace (each)
  • Spa

Promotions

Select Home Warranty offers the occasional promotion. In the past, the warranty company has offered up to $200 discounts on the plan pricing, has given customers a few months of free home warranty coverage, and has even offered free roof coverage to new customers. These plans are usually time-sensitive and have deadlines, so new and potential customers would be wise to take advantage of promotions when they come along.

Helpful Website

Select Home Warranty has an extensive website that is easy to use and has a wide selection of information. The website includes a free online quote generator, making it easy for customers to get an idea of what their individual pricing and coverage would be like if they went with Select Home Warranty. The company's website also has a FAQ page and Blog section where they answer common questions and discuss topics related to the industry.

The Bad

• Repeat Service Fees
  • No Mobile App
  • State Availability

Repeat Service Fees

Select Home Warranty charges a service call fee, which customers will be expected to pay every time a technician visits their home, regardless of whether or not the item has been looked at recently. The payment must be paid at time of service, and failing to do so will result in your home service contract being suspended. If any suspension of the service contract occurs, this does not change or extend its original termination date. And any pre-existing conditions or malfunctions are not covered by the service contract. However, normal wear and tear of appliances is covered, and Select Home Warranty will repair it as part of the contract. Also, this is not uncommon within the home warranty industry to charge money for every time a repair person visits a customer's home.

No Mobile App

Select Home Warranty does not offer a mobile app for Android or Apple devices, unlike some other home warranty companies. Mobile apps are useful for customers to submit claims or pay fees through their mobile device instead of having to access a desktop, so the fact that the company doesn't offer one makes some processes less convenient.

State Availability

Service from this home warranty provider is available in most of the country. However, the company doesn't operate in the following states:

Click on your state in the list above to see the best-ranked home warranty companies available in your area.

The Bottom Line

Select Home Warranty is a highly legitimate company that offers extremely competitive pricing, a number of package options, a simple online claims process, a helpful website, and occasional promotions. Select Home Warranty has a proven track record and is great for providing homeowners protection for the wear and tear of major systems and appliances and to save money through avoiding high repair costs. With many positive reviews, the customer satisfaction level seems to be high. The company backs up its quality service with great home warranty coverage options.

We recommend that customers consider Select Home Warranty for its fantastic service and home warranty plans.

Read hundreds of Select Home Warranty reviews below to hear what customers have to say about the home warranty provider.

Message from
Select Home Warranty

Select Home Warranty offers three plans: Gold Care, Bronze Care, and Platinum Care, offering them for under $40 per month each. In addition to offering low-cost plans, Select Home Warranty also offers free roof leak coverage. Here is what Select Home Warranty’s three plans cover as well as the company’s optional add-ons:

Bronze Care: Covers your washer, dryer, dishwasher, cooktop, microwave oven, stove/oven, refrigerator, and garbage disposal

Gold Care: Covers your A/C, heating system, plumbing system, electrical system, water heater, and ductwork

Platinum Care: Covers appliances and systems contained in its Bronze and Gold plan and also covers your plumbing stoppage, garage door opener, and ceiling fan

Select Home Warranty’s monthly premium is top notch in the home warranty industry. Its service fee is also one of the lowest among the top home warranty companies in the nation.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

3.7

bookmark

Featured Review

Mary Walters Kansas City, MO

Moe H. was very patient and helpful. We have never purchased a home warranty before and he gave us plenty of time to mull it over (2 weeks). Thank you for your patience!

Reply from Select Home Warranty

Jan. 11th, 2021

bookmark

Featured Review

Joyce Fitzgerald Virginia Beach, VA

Jonathan S is truly an asset to your company. Very experienced, knowledgeable, professional and considerate. I enjoyed working with him which resulted in a six year home warranty contract with your company.

Reply from Select Home Warranty

Jan. 11th, 2021

Chad Green Redlands, CA

A Waste of Time and Hard-Earned Money I recently called Select Home Warranty to submit a claim for a tankless water heater issue which was supposed to be covered, based upon the policy options selected. A day after submitting the claim, I received an email informing me that they weren't able to find a plumber to work on tankless water heaters. I called Select Home Warranty again and I was told that I could call a local plumber, and I would be reimbursed for the service call by simply emailing them a copy of the invoice with their diagnostic repair recommendations. I easily found a local plumbing company who was certified by Navien, the brand of tankless water heater installed on the property. The local plumber went out the following day and promptly found the issue to be a wiring problem, and they sent me an invoice for $150 outlining the problem found. I then forwarded that diagnostic inspection invoice for $150 by email to Select Home Warranty, and I was promptly told that the warranty policy didn't include wiring, so they refused to fix the issue with the tankless water heater's and they also refused to pay the diagnostic inspection invoice as originally promised because the problem wasn't covered. To add insult to injury, they wanted me to pay a $75 service fee for filing a claim in the first part, despite the fact that they did nothing for me. Had Select Home Warranty sent their own vendor plumber out to diagnose the problem, I probably would have been fine with their denial to fix it. I take issue with the fact that I was asked to call my own plumber, and I was promised by the person I talked to from Select Home Warranty that I would be reimbursed for that diagnostic service call if I arranged it. Select Home Warranty did nothing but waste my time, lie to me, deny reimbursement, deny to the fix the problem, and then had the nerve to ask me for $75 for their own service fee. The did nothing for me and deserve nothing from me. For those who are currently shopping for a home warranty, I would advise you to shop elsewhere. Select Home Warranty is a waste of your time and hard-earned money.

Robert L Abernathy Tucson, AZ

Select Home Warranty is the worst company I have ever dealt with. My first review was not posted because I did not give details. So here you go claim # 02050861. The sales agent miss lead us about what the policy would and would not be covered. When we called about the claim I got the round around and was transferred 4 times only to be put on hold again. I have filed with the BBB and the state of Az. Do not buy a Select Home Warranty.

Denise Angelotto Rockaway, NJ

Select Home Warranty is the worst company that I've ever dealt with. The same people answer the phone but give different names. They refuse to pay for any large item and will just keep canceling your claim for bogus reasons. My boiler claim was turned into a hot water heater leak and canceled. Called back and said its not a HW leak, it's the boiler not working. They then canceled it for an AC Condensation leak. Again told them it was for a boiler and you haven't sent anyone out to even look at it. They refuse to look at or pay my BOILER claim. I've reported them to consumer affairs. Now they won't refund my remaining premiums if I cancel the policy!! Do not do business with them!!!!

Autumn Lewiston, ID

Select Home Warranty was available to me when purchasing my home. We ended up having a hot water heater go down and Select Home Warranty had a local company out in a few days to get everything fixed at a low cost. It was a huge relief.

Steve Pleasant Hill, MO

Read section 8 of contract. They can depreciate your item. My microwave/oven is 8 years old, cost 2200.00 to replace. This is what the technician told Select. I paid the 45.00 service call. then Select offered me 90.00 to replace. I had the policy over 2 years and paid for 3 years up front. I cancelled policy but more fine print & fees I get 0 back. Don't get Select or pray nothing major break.

Diana Marlene Musgrave Oklahoma City, OK

My microwave went out and they didn't cover the cost to replace it, only the value of the microwave now, which when I purchased the policy I was told they would fix or replace. Be sure you read the fine print when you get your policy. I've had other Home Warranties that are way better. I will be cancelling and going with another company. Personally, I would say don't waste your money with this company. They're terrible.

Bobby Herbeck

Do not use these scam artists. They are not to be trusted. Their promises are false. They do not get back to you as promised. They take your money and leave you in the dust. They sell people on roof repair and you get nothing from them when that occurs. Same for a hot water heater and paid only $200 towards a replace dishwasher. DO NOT USE SELECT HOME WARRANTY. BAD PEOPLE.

Steven Tessler Kingsland, GA

Have had SHW since April 2021 and have filed 2 separate Claims with them. Each Claim I had to find my own plumber as they were not able to find one for me. The representatives are located outside of the US, but are very courteous. They are strictly “by the book” in all they do. There were “communications issues” each time I had to contact them. The second Claim, I was on hold for 45 minutes waiting on an Authorization before deciding not to hold up the plumber any longer, hanging up the phone and letting him go. If your looking for a “smooth claim process”. I wouldn’t consider SHW.

Michael Hirshon Salt Lake City, UT

This is an unethical organization that works extremely hard to disqualify policyholders from coverage. The name "Select" comes from the fact that they are extremely "selective" about what they cover. Upon returning home to a broken water heater, I called their customer service and was asked questions about the situation. My water heater was swollen and cracked and water was coming out. The agent over the phone asked if the unit was "leaking" and I said "I am not a plumber who can diagnose this situation, but yes, water is leaking out of the unit." I was then informed that Select Home Warranty does not cover "leaks" and my claim was closed. After speaking to a different representative about the misunderstanding, they told me to "hire your own plumber to fix the problem and have them send a report." After doing so, I was informed that my new claim was disqualified because the plumber was not approved by them beforehand. I was never told on the phone to get their approval beforehand...I guess they'd just assumed I'd hired a lawyer to scour their policy terms and find the fine print about prior authorization. The fact is, a policy from this company is functionally worthless. You will not get your money's worth because they are extremely effective at getting themselves off the hook. There are so many exceptions hidden in their terms that it is nearly impossible to get them to pay out for legitimate claims. Their methods are very deceptive and I'm not sure under what circumstances they would actually replace a broken water heater. Please think twice about purchasing a home warranty from Select.

Deborah Miller Westland, MI

If you're considering a Home warranty. Please DO NOT choose Select Home warranty. This company is a total rip-off. Save your money. I wish I had read the ratings before I took this warranty out for 3yrs. They take days to find a contractor and most are not reliable. Besides that SHW find any and every way not to cover your claim. The max you will receive for a claim is $150 if anything at all. I selected this warranty because of price and a smooth talking sales agent. BEWARE!!!! they are trained to get your business.. I had American Home Shield in the past for years and did not experience any of these problems. So its worth investing a little more in order to receive better service. Also, when trying to cancel your contract, they find ways to deplete the money that was paid into it. If I could rate them a 0, I would. Warning: People don't be delude like I was, look else where.

J S Hanford, CA

I received a mailer from Select Home Warranty. I did a Google search for reviews on Select Home and they were rated one of the top 10 for 2021. I decided to get a quote and I was immediately called by Ben Thompson. Ben was very patient and knowledgable. He answered all my questions and even offered me a better rate then I was quoted online. After talking with Ben and reviewing the contract, I feel very good about my decision to go with Select Home. I currently have American Home Shield but Select Home offered me free roof protection as well as offering me sprinkler coverage, neither of which AHS offers. Ben also told me that I have a 30 day money back guarantee if I changed my mind.

MikeOhio Cincinnati, OH

Have had a competitor Home Warranty for approx 20 years Price keeps going up and service techs they send are often clueless as to how to repair. Select Home Warranty Rep was courteous, very knowledgeable and listened to every question I asked. I have been in sales management for 44 yrs so I know good sales techniques. Sean listened to my concerns about price increases and my home needs. He offered a great deal for multiple years, lower pricing and locked in pricing. Everything I was looking for. Obvious he did not have a sales pitch but listened to me and answered my concerns. Believe me, he is a keeper.

David Steen Houston, TX

I took out a Home / Pool Warranty with Select Home Warranty two years ago when my wife and I took ownership of our house and have renewed it last year as well as this year mainly because the price has been competitive and the one time I had to have a technician come out to look at our clothes washing machine I was satisfied with his expertise. Also, your agent Moe H was very courteous and informative and when asked what promotion he could offer me to retain my business he was able to offer me a better price of 550.00 for the same coverage as I had in the past plus 2 additional months at no cost. I'm happy to say that I am a satisfied Select customer thus far.

Dean

When we needed them, the fellow who called on us was absolutely terrific and he knew what he was doing. He was courteous and professional. We needed it on a dishwasher. The fellow came out on time and he checked the whole system in case it was an interior panel that was going bad. He did his job and above his job and was extremely professional and polite. They've done everything they promised to do.

Shahab Euless, TX

They provide service on time to the company and I don't have any complaints about them. What I needed they actually provided me. They fulfilled what my needs were. One time it was my dishwasher, one was a breaker issue, and one time it was my washing machine. Whatever issue it is, they always fixed it for me. The customer service people are cooperative.

Toisann Snow Jackson, CA

So far I have placed three claims and every of them was DENIED. I purchased for $1200 3 years of coverage at the highest rate of coverage & with the lowest service fee. The electric light switches for my garage: both inside and outside were not working properly and that was DENIED because according to them, the garage is not part of the everyday living space. I also had to have a separate claim for my garage door opener. Now that one they told me that they contacted a repairman about 50 miles away from me. I told them that I didn't hear from anyone and what about their policy of using locally based repair companies. I'm sorry to say they dropped the ball on that claim also, as I'm still waiting to hear from a local repairman. Two weeks after I put a claim in for my kitchen sink leaking from underneath onto the cabinet wall & flooring,I had to contact them again. I was so upset when I heard the words "we sent a email explaining why we DENIED your claim......." They would NOT send me anything on paper, including the policy! EVERYTHING that I ASKED & PAID for resulted in ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BEING DONE. I am contacting THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU & YELP because I truly feel as if I was SCAMMED. Hopefully they will reimburse me for the last year of my policy that has not been used. I have always had a Home Warranty service for EVERY home that I have owned since 1978, It's NOT like I was expecting to receive service that I did not pay for.. In actuality what I DID PAY for was TWO (2) YEARS of DENIED CLAIMS. & INCREASED AGITATION.

Anthony Evans Blythewood, SC

The experience I had with select home warranty was excellent the gentleman Ray Sanders that I spoke with help me out very much he explained everything how the plan works and answered all my questions that I had he was very helpful very considerate and kind of what I had to ask him. Select home warranty I hope will work as well as I plan on it to. Thank you very much. Mr. Tony E

Doug & Martha Aikin Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'm a new customer, so I haven't been able to put this new warranty to the test yet. I am impressed so far with your customer service that I've received, namely in dealing with Jonathan, who was very helpful to point out the most cost- effective options for us, and was very responsive in sending the policy and other info to us-same day. Thank you Jonathan!

Sandra Schenkweiler Charlotte, NC

Well today June 30th, 2021, we decided to go with Select Home Warranty, after a bad experience with Choice Home Warranty. The sales representative Mr. Henry R., carefully listened to our bad experience assuring us that nothing like that will happen with SHW, He explained to us the different plans, prices, covering and specials that SHW are having right now, my husband and I felt comfortable and decided to enroll with SHW. Thank you.

Michael Williams

Just singed up after a year with another Home Warranty Company. Daniel C was a pleasure to work with and had answers to all my questions. Select is the best rated Home Warranty Company in California, and that was important to me. They also had a special that made them $15 per month cheaper than the competition. I paid for a year in advance and got 2 months for free. I also have the option to select my own repair service. These were all good reasons to sign up with select. I have had a home warranty company for about 10 years and have found it pays for itself and helps me feel secure.

Sue Paulsen Zion, IL

I had a great Rep, Bryan O explain the warranty service to me and he also explained the claims process in depth. I purchased a home warranty for the people who are buying our house. They happen to be our next door neighbors so I wanted the best service I could find. After a lot of research and after talking to Bryan, I feel good about my decision to cover our house with Select Home Warranty.

Cheryl Pinkos Milton, FL

We just purchased a policy for our home from Jake H. He was excellent! He was most helpful, knowledgeable, and assertive, but not pushy (we liked that). We thoroughly enjoyed talking to him. He also gave us a great deal for our home. I highly recommend him. Thank you, Jake, for taking the time to explain things to us, and going over all our options. It was a pleasure. Melanie S. and Cheryl P.

Corinthia Uliasz Fayetteville, NC

Signed up for Select Home Warranty today, 11 June 2021. The sale rep (Zachary) was professional, knowledgeable, friendly, and pleasant to talk to. He answered all my questions and convinced me of the great value/quality of this home warranty. I purchased a policy for 5 years. I am looking forward to the years ahead for great quality work without hassles.

Jeff Hancock Vallejo, CA

Just purchased after a disastrous experience with another home warranty company. As I write this am still on eternal hold with my last home warranty company, something they continually do, since there web site is 90% useless. Ed C, Selects sales person was very knowable, helpful and patient. Am looking forward to receiving far superior service from Select, based on my experience with Ed.

Lorraine Smith Mobile, AL

The Select Home Warranty seems to be exactly what I was looking for in a home warranty. I had a few questions and spoke with a customer service representative. I was very happy with my customer service representative Daniel C. Mr. Daniel was professional, friendly, courteous and very knowledgeable. I believe I received a great deal for the coverage I am receiving.

Nina Cantu Houston, TX

My husband and I just had an excellent experience in signing up for Select Home Warranty. We spoke with Daniel C and we were very impressed with his professionalism and knowledge. He answered ALL of our questions without hesitation and was very clear and concise - he made us feel very comfortable with our 3 year plan choice! We are looking forward to having Select Home Warranty service. Thank you!

Princess Mel Aurora, IL

This is my first home purchase. After receiving multiple letters in the mail from bogus companies, I decided to do some research and learned that Select Home was rated No. 1. I filled out the quick survey and was contacted by Jake. He was very accommodating to my circumstances and answered my questions. If, or when, I ever need to use my warranty, I feel confident Select Home will take care of me.

Kathy Stewart Dallas, TX

Ed was a very nice gentleman but there's one time I'm up in age and I know he said the information would be on the my email I just wanted to ask is there a way I could get a book sent to me because I'm not good on the internet where I can read about you guys I just started with you guys this month and I'm a senior and I thought I would ask please thank you

Donna Neese Papillion, NE

I have signed up but not used the plan yet. Ray, the salesperson seemed very knowledgeable and interested in helping me sort through plans. He actually found savings because of my age and military background. I plan to be a lifetime member! I paid by credit card and with a one-month waiting period will start service after another company contract expires.

Lovely daisy Brooklyn, NY

I had to put in a claim for my water heater and select was able to send I actually used in the past to come out the same day to repair my problem. I was so happy that they took so much information from me over the phone so they can get it right the first time. Very happy with the service and will Definitely recommend to my friends and family.

Aaron

I have had to use the warranty once and it was so simple to file a claim! My deductible was exactly what I was told it would be if I ever filed a claim! No issues and no screaming matches trying to get it covered! Thank you Select Home Warranty!

Elaine Ceigler Chandler, AZ

This is the second year I've had Select Warranty. The first and second year both the reps were great! The first year the rep quoted me 1 extra month for free and he waived the 30 day waiting period. The problem being is they never send you any information on what you're getting! Had to use the warranty before 30 days and after many phone calls an arguments they came! This year ... they still haven't sent me anything saying what I get. I've left messages and the rep said he would send me the info! I have nothing stating he gave me 2 extra months for a lesser fee for fixing stuff . Getting ready to cancel if I don't get something in writing!

Judy Murray

In general, I believe all home warranty companies, including Select Home Warranty, have clauses built into policies that a written in a way that makes it hard for consumers to know what is a "covered repair". These clauses are then used to disqualify a repair request. With respect to Select Home Warranty, I was particularly disappointed when I requested the company send a repair person to verify if the problem was what they told me would not be covered so I could at least get it fixed. I was told they do not send technicians to investigate uncovered repairs, but if I had another company fix the problem I could request reimbursement if they determined the problem to be covered by policy..

Luther

I only used them one time, but everybody seemed to be on the ball and a repair person was here quickly. I had an upstairs AC unit that wasn't working and they came and checked it out and thankfully it only turned out to be a thermostat issue.

Justin

They sold me the plan knowing that I live in the west and they do not provide coverage they don't provide true coverage for people on the west they only operate on east coast time and if you have a claim that you're trying to fill and you want to do it in the afternoon even if it's early afternoon you're going to, you have the strong possibility of running into a case for you can't get your claim approved and they're also not open on the weekends so it's incredibly difficult to get a claim approved and get service like this. Again their availability is really poor for people on the west and there aren't very clear about that when you sign up with them but they are friendly enough you know is there decent customer service.

John

they were prompt and they were able to get everything resolved within a reasonable time. I needed my fridge repaired and I just put in a warranty ticket and within one business day somebody got a hold of me and schedule the appointment.

Sylvia

The service is good. They got right back to me as soon as they could and got everything taken care of. It's a lot cheaper than going through a repairman and I'm on a fixed budget. I did have to have them come back when I had a circuit breaker problem because they didn't fix it complete but they did come back and redo and it's now working fine.

Hardik

I needed select home warranty a few different times and it was a great experience. It's very handy and they provide excellent service, though with some kinds of repairs it takes a while and I have to follow up instead of someone reaching out.

Debra

It is affordable. I did have some issues, but customer service was able to rectify them. They give you the contact information for the people that are supposed to be the contractors for the service so make sure they are really contracted and the first people they sent me, I called and they were not contracted and wanted me to pay for the service but they second people that were contracted did a great job.

Linda

I'm very impressed with them, so impressed that I had my brother call and he just got a warranty for his house. Customer support is wonderful, every time I call in, the people know what they are doing and they get right back to you as soon as they can. To get our vacuum system fixed for just forty five dollars was impressive.

Carol

I was happy with them for the most part though when my washing machine went out, they got somebody out within a day or two but then denied my claim and never let me know but it all worked out. When I used them for some electrical, they guy came out the same day and it was great. It didn't transfer with me when I moved, it would have nice if it transferred but everybody was not on the same page when I moved.

Vernon

It was recommended to my by the owner of the house I purchased. I like their customer service, seems to be very respectful and highly professional. Every time I call them they respond immediately. When my garage door came out they responded in a couple hours and everything was taken care of.

Darry

They have knowledgeable service technicians that have been able to get the job done in a minimal amount of time. They sent a tech out for my furnace and once everything was verified it got approved. It took about a week but we got it done.

Bob

I had to recall one claim and they were very professional and very quick. The furnace stopped working and when I called, they had somebody out here the next day and they opened it up and went through it and replaced the thermostat I believe. They preformed what they said they would do and when they said they would do it.

Becky

They respond quickly and get to the point. I had a washing machine that was out of balance and they had to come out and put clips on and everything went really slick. The time request was fairly quick and the repairs were done. Everything as per the contract.

Denise

Our past situations, there have been some good ones and some bad ones. I didn't take the time to read my contract so I discovered that my air conditioning wasn't going to be covered. Though another time I called about it, they came and fixed it. The people are receptive and respond to me timely and were professional. I think the price is appropriate.

Kathleen Norcross, GA

Couple small issues where I've had to call back and check up on things but other than that it's going well. I never had any issues with them not covering something. My dryer broke so they said that they would send me money for it and that took probably a couple weeks.

Paul Leland, NC

The hot water heaters stopped working so I found somebody to fix it. I submit the bill to select home warranty and I got reimbursed. They're reliable and any time I've contacted them the person I spoke to was curious and knowledgeable.