Home Warranty, Inc. Logo

Home Warranty, Inc.

Is This Your Business?

2.9

LAST UPDATED: October 20th, 2022

Home Warranty, Inc. was founded in 1999 and is headquartered in Rock Rapids, Iowa. The company offers three warranty plan options, as well as coverage options for home sellers. Unfortunately, the company is rather vague regarding information on pricing and coverage.

Continue reading to learn more about this company or jump down to read Home Warranty, Inc. reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Various Plan Options
  • Surge Protection
  • 24/7 Customer Service
  • Pre-existing Issue Coverage

Various Plan Options

Home Warranty, Inc. offers plans for current homeowners, those who will be putting their home on the market, real estate professionals, and new homebuyers. The company offers a free 30-day program for homes that are entering the market as a way to help the sales process go more quickly for both homeowners and real estate professionals alike.

Surge Protection

To protect your electronics and appliances in the case of a power surge, Home Warranty, Inc. offers the SurgeShield Protection Program. Starting at $7 per month, the SurgeShield program offers protection for most motor-driven appliances, and you can cancel coverage at any time.

In addition, Home Warranty also offers the SurgeShield Protection Bundle Plan, offering protection for electronics in addition to appliances. Electronics coverage cannot be purchased separately, so if you are interested in coverage for your electronic items, you will have to choose the bundle plan.

Most home warranty companies don't offer surge protection options, so if you are looking for more extensive coverage for your home appliances, systems, and electronics, Home Warranty's plans and surge protections could be a good choice for you.

24/7 Customer Service

Unlike some of its competitors that only have customer service agents available during regular business hours, Home Warranty, Inc.'s representatives are available 24 hours per day, seven days per week to help connect customers who need help when their system/appliance breaks down outside of business hours.

Pre-existing Issue Coverage

Unlike many competitors, Home Warranty, Inc. includes protection for issues that are often labeled as pre-existing by other providers. In order for an otherwise pre-existing problem to be covered, the home must have passed an inspection without the inspector reporting a problem with the system or appliance. In this case, the repair is covered by Home Warranty, Inc.

The Bad

• High Service Fee
  • Not Available Nationwide
  • Lack of Coverage and Pricing Transparency
  • Home Warranty, Inc Reviews

High Service Fee

Home Warranty, Inc. has a $100 service for any service calls, parts, or labor. This service fee is higher than you will see with many other home warranty companies — the industry average service fee is $65.

Not Available Nationwide

• Nevada
  • Oregon
  • Washington

Lack of Coverage and Pricing Transparency

Much of Home Warranty, Inc.'s published material online is vague, with customers reporting difficulty differentiating which information matches which plan. The company does not publish sample pricing for its policies, unlike many of its competitors.

Home Warranty, Inc Reviews

Home Warranty, Inc. reviews are currently limited on Best Company, but the majority of reviews are 1 star. Unsatisfied customers typically mention frequent claim denials and unreliable technicians.

The Bottom Line

Home Warranty, Inc. offers a variety of warranty plans, including surge protection, and coverage for appliances and services with pre-existing issues or concerns.

Added transparency and increased clarity would benefit prospective and current customers. In comparison, many of the company's competitors are considerably more transparent in exact coverages, products, and pricing than Home Warranty, Inc.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

2.0

ACC electric

After reading the reviews i see now why they have no network our company did 3 service calls each time we followed protocol called in thier rep told us to proceed with repairs no metion of limits or conditions we completed work advised customers we would bill home warranty for our service finally after resubmitting invoices and calling their rep ron said they were not paying the amt charged and was lucky they would even pay minimum on electrical questioned him about the reps conversation asked him to review what was said since they record calls he wouldnt elaborate only said his rep never agreed to that even though i had him on speaker with cust present to valadate the trans action this company is very unethical in its buisness i would NEVER do buisness with them!

Steve Kruger Dell Rapids, SD

We had a problem with a couple of our oven burners going to high heat when set on low and Home Warranty Inc. was contacted to make a claim. They said to use anyone but Doug's Appliance. A technician came out from another company and said due to the age of the oven and the cost of parts it wasn't worth fixing since there would be problems with the other burners down the road. He gave his estimate to the agent on the phone. Home Warranty wanted a second opinion from none other than Doug's Appliance. Home Warranty Inc had Doug with Doug's Appliance reach out who was extremely rude. He asked how there could be more than one problem with burners and was more concerned about when it started than actually fixing the problem. I then got the run around about not using certified glass top cookware as if that was the cause. Doug does all of Home Warranty Inc second opinions on appliances in our area. It was apparent he worked for them and not the home owner. I spoke with management requesting another company come out since he was rude and I didn't want him in our home. I was told they had the right to pick who they wanted to perform the repair per our contract and they chose Doug. A couple months later the other burners failed and did the same thing. The first technician was right and the stove should have been replaced. Home Warranty Inc. chose to cut corners and went with a repair man who is in their back pocket. We ended up buying a new oven while still having the home warranty. I can't say how frustrating this is because the people that buy home warranties need it and can't afford to buy new every time something breaks. I highly recommend having nothing to do with this company. From what we were told when the policy was sold to us and what is was when we made a claim were two completely different things. Very disappointed!!!!

Melissa Hudson Hampton, VA

I gave them one star because that is the minimum I could do. I called them because my dishwasher went out and within a week of that, the burner on my stove. When I called Home Warranty, I was told to find a technician to come out and diagnose the issue since they didn't have any specific recommendations. I called GE, the manufacturer, and had their technician come to my home and give diagnosis and repair details. They agreed so after the parts came in, GE came back out to install the parts. The total bill for the stove was $331 but the most they would cover is $195 because they felt GE charges more than they are comfortable with. The supervisor proceeded to tell me that I should have found wholesale parts elsewhere, but this was not recommended during my initial phone call when they told me to find a technician of my choice. I guess they expected me to have Billy Bob from Egypt to do the repairs instead of the manufacturer? Then came my dishwasher. The technician said that the problem was severe enough to where they could not service it and a replacement was recommended. Of course, on a $450 dishwasher, the max home warranty would pay out is $250, and that is only after I buy a new dishwasher and send the receipt. Keep in mind, no one in the company accepts accountability and they do not give out last names, instant red flag. I have had other home warranty services and none are like this, this company is by far the worst. I will be renewing my warranty with a quality competitor. I was within days of my warranty expiring, and they couldn't have cared less about loosing my business. Buyer beware..

Rosey G Fort Dodge, IA

This company is a scam. We had an issue with our fridge. I called to ask clarifying questions about the contract that said we had a $1,500 repair cap on COVERED parts. I was told we were responsible for the $100 deductible for diagnostic fee to get the technician out. Okay, fine. I then asked, "Hypothetically, if the broken part is a COVERED part and not an excluded part, and it's determined it's a $1,000 repair, is that free since it's under the $1,500 cap? Or do we pay another $100 deductible?" I was told they weren't allowed to do hypotheticals because pricing varied on the diagnosis and that depending om the type of part, there would be different pricing they'd charge us. I said "My contract says which parts are excluded, so everything else is covered. Assumed its NOT an excluded part and IS covered, is the repair free? We're assuming your tech determines it's $100 covered under my contract. Is my repair free if it's under $1,500?" And they kept saying they could not answer that and that I needed to pay $100 and then we could go from there. I told them I didn't want to pay $100 and then have a technician give me a $1,000 bill they wouldn't cover if I just could have bought a new fridge. I wanted to see if it was even worth it to spend the $100, because I wanted confirmation my reoaur would be free if it was covered, and they wouldn't budge without $100, along with the promise that it all depended on the diagnosis. It wasn't accurate that all covered parts are covers. Absolute scam company. Do NOT purchase.

Ryan Hess Stillwater, OK

The company does not respond in a timely manner, the warranty amounts are not transparent, and the service people are unhelpful. After filing a claim, we did not hear back from Home Warranty for multiple weeks. We had to call in multiple times to eventually speak with someone. We asked the service member, Ron H, why they were only covering half of the invoiced amount. Ron replied in a condescending and unhelpful manner that they set reimbursements based on their 'expected' costs. When we asked Ron to elaborate, he reduced the amount covered by $200. After asking why the reimbursement was reduced and why he was being adversarial, he threatened to further reduce the amount. I would never want to deal with Ron H or this company again.

Dennis Huguenard Mason, OH

Stay away from this company!!!! I had been with this company for 4 years. My AC went out so I called to start a claim. I was instructed to call a service tech. I had a licensed service tech come out and looked at system and determined my unit was 28 years old and all the Freon had leaked out. He recommended it be replaced and since the unit had been working the week before, that a bad leak had occurred, parts were no longer available, and was not worth putting money into it. It had already exceeded its lifespan. Home warranty said I needed to top off Freon to see if it would leak out. I called another licensed service tech and he determined the furnace was shot also, and beyond repair. He told me it would cost another $500 to fill Freon, as this was the old type Freon (expensive type) and was bad for the environment. This cost is not covered by home warranty. After 2 licensed Techs recommended replacement, home warranty's comment was they didn't care what recommendation was. There are many loopholes in the contract so stay away!

Katie Shimer Chicago, IL

I paid $400 for a warranty for my 2flat in Chicago. I was worried about the furnace in one unit. My tankless water heater went out and I forgot I had this warranty. I called them while the plumber was replacing the tankless with a traditional gas water heater. I told them the ignitor had gone out on the tankless but I just wanted to replace the whole thing as the tankless was old and a weird brand. They paid me $200 for the price of the ignitor and I used it to offset the cost of my new water heater. I was happy with that response.

Jimmy Jones Gainesville, VA

Save the money to cover the repair yourself. One claim in two years. Our 25+ year old AC was not blowing cold air. We had techs come our and say that topping off with R22 was a waste of money for a unit so old and they wouldnt do it since the EPA phase out went into effect. HWI told us we need to top off first to see if it is leaking. I Called another tech and they wouldn't top off either since it was not ethical for them to waste our money doing so on a unit that is on its last leg. HWI spent all day calling techs in our area just to find one that said they would do it for $225 a pound which would come out of our pocket since they only cover $20 a pound. HWI is a scam. All the premium money you pay goes towards the business upkeep of denying your claim and profits for the sleazbag owners. They can take that renewal notice and shove it up where their soul used to be located. I hope their building collapses and the insurance doesn't cover it.

Marie Pentel Ozark, MO

Denied all our claims stating the warranty doesn't cover our particular needed repairs or we'd need to pay for additional coverage. Waste of money!! Don't even bother with this awful company.

Joe O'Connell Hoffman Estates, IL

Jeff was super helpful, answered all our questions, and got us easily set up. He made a complicated process understandable.

Chris Lawrence, KS

I am a landlord and have this policy on several properties. My last issues were two units had heater problems on the same day I called my service man got the repairs approved and paid 2 Days Later excellent service

Kate Elisabeth Alamo, TX

Have had a warranty on three different properties and have not had any issues. They are quick to answer the phone and assign a contractor to help me. It is important to review the coverage and know what you are buying.

Denice Johnson St Louis, MO

This company covers as little as possible. They're more than happy to take your money but have limited coverage. Definitely will not be renewing this contract. What a scam!

Melinda Koen Star, ID

This HOME WARRANTY company gets zero stars. After moving into my new home and filing several claims, they will do anything to scam you. They cover absolutely nothing. Run, don’t walk. They will cover nothing.

Robert Craver Lufkin, TX

This company will look under every rock to try and deny your claim. A small $700 claim took away countless hours of arguing, waiting for call backs, and frustration. Even my electrician was floored at them questioning his expertise. They missed several call back times, denied a claim based on "pre existing" all over $700. I hope they loose 10+ consumers due to this review. Oh if you want to cancel you must submit it in writing. Don't worry they will take ages to process it as well...

Andrew Meyer East Peoria, IL

My furnace has been broken since Monday morning. The HVAC tech was out Monday evening and spoke to warranty. I did not receive any communication regarding status of claim until I called Tuesday afternoon when they said it was in the "follow up pile." One would think that a furnace in November would be a priority item. Today still no communication from warranty until calling this afternoon to discover that the claim was closed since the part is "covered under manufacturer warranty." This was never communicated to me so that I could make arrangements to get a new furnace or attempt to contact manufacturer. The HVAC tech told them that the warranty does not transfer to a new owner when he gave them a diagnosis on Monday and I told them that today. Just received a follow up call and was told "the carrier website says the warranty does transfer to a the new homeowner its just a shorter period so you have to go through them" I guess Home Warranty Inc, pays their staff to visit manufacturer websites to get out of paying claims. They have time to do this, but not actually contact their customers. Additionally, no where on warranty coverage does it state that they will not cover items that are covered under a manufacturer warranty. It is now almost 5pm the night before Thanksgiving and I will still have no working furnace. No help whatsoever.

Kinzey Sebben Milwaukee, WI

I called about an issue with my water heater Tuesday night. They told me that they would send someone to look at it and I would have to pay a $75 deductible to the people that came to look at it. Wednesday the people come look at it and call the warranty place to tell them the problem. I then get a call from Home Warranty stating that our claim was denied because this took place within thirty days of living in the house (we were on our 29th day when the water heater took a crap). Although this is very frustrating, I get it. But my issue was that even though the warranty did not cover anything I was still charged the $75 deductible. I called the Home Warranty back and explain this to the guy that had denied us the warranty and he informed me “The $75 is just a credit towards the service bill”. So basically when it came down to it he just twisted his own words to change this $75 from a “deductible” to a “credit” just to try to screw me out of my money. I then asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told they would call me back. Three hours later still no call so I call again and was told a supervisor would call me back in 30 minutes. Two hours later still no call. So I try again the next day, I finally get through to a supervisor and he tries to tell me the same thing as the guy who denied me. I had to argue “I have a paper right in front of me stating ‘$95 service fee and $75 Home Warranty Deductible’”. I was told if I email a copy of this paper in I will be credited back the $75 but at this point I wouldn’t believe it until I see it. Another problem I have with this whole situation is they should have told me when I called Tuesday that we were within our 30 days so none of this would be covered. I shouldn’t have had to have someone sent out to the house if they knew no matter what the issue was it wouldn’t be covered. We already knew that we were going to need a new water heater so had I known all this we would have just went and bought one and put it in instead of paying $170 to a company to tell me something I already knew. This place has very very bad customer service, very rude employees and are just not willing to work with you at all and do not truly care about their customers at all.

homeowner75 Chevy Chase, MD

No information about "emergency" service when called on a Friday evening when water heater went out in January and snow was coming. Rep said she didn't know anything about how much I'd be charged if I was transferred to the dispatcher. Left two messages. Waited until Monday morning. They still didn't call. I called them with three estimates all saying a 22 year old water heater needed replacing. The gas control valve failed, and none of the companies said they'd replace it because of the potential issues with tinkering with such an old water heater; all three said the tank needed replacing. Despite all three estimates, Home Warranty Inc. (Ron) was extremely argumentative saying he needed a specific diagnosis in order to replace, even though a water heater is on the list. Ron said it would only cover parts. So, any plumber would need to first replace this part on a 22 year old water heater, then continue spending time trying to figure out what else was wrong with the water heater. None of the three plumbing companies would do this, saying it was not worth their time and more importantly could lead to serious damage because of the age of the water heater and all said it was recommended protocol to replace. Then Ron said in that age of a water heater, if there's sediment, that's excluded, and there likely would be, so then they don't have to cover it regardless. Home Warranty Inc. has thus far refused to be of assistance, and my six-year-old child and I have had no hot water for four days. WASTE OF MONEY and HEADACHE!!!! DO NOT USE!!! NOTE, Look online for best home warranty companies. They are NOT in top lists!!! The fact that they list it, given the exclusions, and way Ron wishes to twist things, is a total joke. They WILL NOT REPLACE A BROKEN WATER HEATER. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!

L F Wichita, KS

Paid premiums for 2 1/2 yrs over $600 per yr and the first time I called to file a claim on my A/C I had their HVAC professional look at it and stated my coil is leaking and needs to be replaced. They told me they are a repair company not a replace company and wanted me to fill it up with the old RF 22 coolant (environmentally unsafe) at my expense of around $500. (The HVAC told them this will not fix the problem and leak the refrigerant out again). They said if it does leak again they would fill it next time but told me it would come out of my cap limit of $2500 so basically it would of dropped what they would cover to under $2000 so they really are not paying a thing! This is a con job warranty. They will remind you annually to pay your premiums tho!! STAY AWAY FROM HOME WARRANY INC. from Iowa!!!

dissatisfied customer Waxahachie, TX

I have contacted Home Warranty Inc., for at least three different types of service on the home I purchased in late March 2018. Each time I call to request service I am told that there is not a contracted vendor for that particular service in may area. I am instructed to call the vendor of my choice and pay for the service up front if the vendor will not bill HWI. I have yet to find a vendor who will bill HWI. I am also instructed to have the vendor call HWI prior to making any repairs so that HWI can approve or deny the cost at that time. That seems reasonable, though HWI has yet to approve any repair on my home. I have either been told up front that the repair will not be covered or repair coverage has been denied after an HWI representative speaking with the repairman. My complaint is with regard to HWI's lack of a vendor network to serve may area in Ellis County, Texas. Home buyers need to be aware of that prior to selecting HWI. There is apparently not even a suitable HWI vendor network in the South Dallas market that could be dispatched to homeowners in Ellis County. I see that as a problem because the homeowner is left to pay up front for repairs and wait for reimbursement from HWI. I finally reported this service issue to my local Century 21 agency today in an effort to help future homebuyers in this market area. I've not run into this with any home warranty company before.

Toni Lucas Minneapolis, MN

This company has been wonderful to work with and are always on top of it. I highly recommend!

Talia Bloomington, IL

They cover next to nothing of the cost after they make you pay the deductible. Also, I had a claim open on my dishwasher, the technician they called to fixed it completely botched the job. My warranty expired a couple days after he made the problem worse, but they refused to do anything or try to help a problem that their technician made WORSE if the first place. Even if my warranty expired, they should have stood by the problem initiated well before it expired. They were way rude and unhelpful on the phone too. Very bad customer service.

Fernando

Fast friendly service. A lot cheaper than fixing the repairs on your own. They sent someone out and to look at my heater within 2 days.

Michael Peoria, IL

I would not deal with this company again if my premium was $0. Timeliness in not in their vocabulary. And the contractors they work with are just as bad at being on time or even showing up at all. They really could care less when your problem gets fixed, but they immediately call when your payment isn't there on time.