America's Preferred Home Warranty Logo

America's Preferred Home Warranty

Is This Your Business?

2.5

America's Preferred Home Warranty claims on its website to be the only company to give customers the ability to select their own licensed contractors for any covered repairs. The Christian-centered company was founded in 1999 and serves customers in 36 states. There are, however, some service limitations, including the omission of an online claims service. That being said, America's Preferred Home Warranty should be an adequate solution to most home warranty needs.

American Home Shield Logo
#2 American Home Shield chevron_right
3.9
OneGuard Logo
#3 OneGuard chevron_right

The Good

• Various Warranty Types
  • Make-It-Right Guarantee
  • 24/7/365 Service

Various Warranty Types

America's Preferred offers several types of home warranty plans for customers to choose from. The company covers condominiums, townhouses, single family homes, multi-family units, and newly constructed residences. The available warranties protect home appliances and systems from normal wear and tear and customers are able to choose their own licensed contractor when repairs are needed.

Make-It-Right Guarantee

The company offers its customers a guarantee regarding purchased products or services. If customers are dissatisfied for any reason within 24 hours of purchase, the vendor will repair or replace the product or reimburse the customer for the repair cost. The guarantee only lasts for the first 90 days for a new customer.

24/7/365 Service

The home warranty company offers 24/7/365 customer service for filing claims. Customers may call the company directly anytime repairs are needed and choose their own licensed contractor. No forms are required to be filled out but the contractor must call the company for approval prior to performing any repairs.

The Bad

• No Online Claims
  • Service Limitations
  • Realtor-Only Mobile App

No Online Claims

America's Preferred does not offer customers the ability to file claims online. Customers must contact the company by phone for approval when repairs are needed. No claim forms are required.

Service Limitations

America's Preferred does not offer customers a live chat option on its website for customers to ask questions before purchasing a home warranty. Pricing information for its warranty coverage is not clearly listed in full detail on the company's website. However, America's Preferred does offer an online quote. The company is licensed to do business in only 36 states. A full list of state coverage details is disclosed directly on the website.

Realtor-Only Mobile App

America's Preferred does not offer a mobile app for homeowners or sellers to file claims or make payments. The available mobile app is for real estate professionals only and is used to manage multiple client accounts and warranty documents.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

The Bottom Line

America's Preferred offers customers a wide variety of home warranty plans with 24/7/365 customer service and a make-it-right guarantee; however, the company is not fully transparent about its pricing structure and its service coverage area is limited. Customers are not able to file online claims and the company's mobile app is for real estate professionals only.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

1.4

CATHARINE A COBBS Hot Springs, AR

I had asked for another company when purchasing my home but this is what the seller provided. 2 claims in 3 years and both experiences were the worst.!! They find every excuse not to pay for replacement. Recently lost the water heater which was due to an internal leak which caused an electrical short that fried the unit. $876.63. APHW will pay $178 toward labor and $21 on parts. But said it was ruined due to plumbing not unit failure caused by electrical short. Plus they deduct my $50 service fee so in all I receive $150 total....my policy cost $592.92 per year (as I chose monthly pay)....definitely will NOT RENEW oh and by the way they demand to speak with contractor while he is on the job but do NOT tell you what dollar amount they allow until after it is finished.....WORST THERE IS....in the past homes I had the privilege to use 2 different companies. Both were stellar... at 73 yr old on fixed income I sure can not afford APHW

Natalia Chesapeake, VA

HORRIBLE! In two years of having this warranty, they didn't pay any claims. They will "fine print" you out of paying anything, not to mention having to call them with the contractor on the phone and the "deductible". They go out of their way to make it difficult for you to get what you need, which of course works to their advantage. Lastly, I would add that they tried to scam us out of 1 year of coverage (may as well have!) by putting the wrong date on the contract. Don't bother, you'll end up paying for everything yourself anyway!

Ryan Jenkins Alamogordo, NM

purchased this APHW on a home I bought 3 months ago in Southern New Mexico. I am writing this review while I have a current claim going on because I want to represent my experience with the company thus far. I try my best to make my reviews honest and fair. I will share facts and my feelings; however, please note that I will distingusish between the two. A week ago yesterday the 27 year-old furnace in my "new" old house stopped working. It had been making loud noises prior. I filed a claim. At the time of this review, we are experiencing record high heat and today's high is projected to be 106 f. We are also in the middle of a Pandemic with Covid-19. I find myself in a new place, where I cannot go anywhere in public and hang out. I call the repair folks, and it takes a couple of days to get the repairman out, as expected during a heatwave, they are busy. The repairman begins troubleshooting and the run capacitor is blown. He puts in a good one to test and continue and the motor ia blown. He looks at the system and determines that it is at the end of its life expectany and he can replace the motor, but he cannot make any guarentees that will fix it. He found that the unit I have is not longer made and that he did find a motor to fit, but again, no guarentees. This motor is not local and will cost a pretty penny to ship and then to expedite. I shared the information with APHW and I explained the situation above and that I cannot keep living in a 100 degree house as we trouble shoot piece by piece on such an old system. I was told to submit the invoice for the replacement part or total replacement estimate and I would have an answer by the end of the day, possibly even the end of the hour,she said. I had the owner of the repair shop come to my house to give me the estimate and had him wait to speak with APHW on the phone. He was very kind, even though he and every other place I called told me they don't deal with home warranty scams! He was willing to talk to APHW and do what he could to help me. Sidenote: The place I hired is Porky's Heating and Air and I chose to go with them because during this process he told me that he would only give an honest estimate and feedback to the warranty and would not lie. James (Porky) displayed his honesty. Back to the review, I got an APHW rep on the line and she would not speak to the repairman. She told me they had everything they needed. I asked if she was sure and told her that the owner, himself made a second service call specifically to speak to them and she siad no. So I confirmed that I would hear something by the end of the day and she said yes. Two days later, today...I call and get an APHW rep on the line and let her know I am awaiting the determination. She put me on hold for about 5-10min, guessing I didn't time her but it was several minutes. She ten told me they needed to speak to the repairman! I did my best to remain calm and let her know he came out and was here and they confirmed they had everything they need. I told the rep that I was not upset with her personally and I understand she is doing her job, however, I was they had everything they needed. I reminded her that I purchased the warranty to help me in times like this, I am asking they approve the $2250 so I can move on with my quarentined life. I also reminded her that while I have a warranty, I am still the owner of this house and I will be the one who makes the final decision on whether I repair or replace this 27 year-old unit. I proceeded to schedule my replacement and I reviewed APHW agreement and they say they cover $2250 max to replace. I am currently waiting to see if APHW will step up and do the right thing and approve the $2250 by tomorrow morning. We shall see and I will post a follow up review on how this turns out! UPDATE: The supervisor called me and proved to be the same broken record as the previous rep I spoke. DO NOT BUY THIS WARRANTY!!!! They do not care about you the consumer at all. I asked if they would make an exceptions during Covid-19 and record heat and the supervisor told me it was my choice, I can follow their policy and procedures or I can choose to pay for it myself. I decided to pay $7000 for a new unit and in the end APHW did agree to pay $600. Better than nothing, at least that is a refund for the crappy warranty!

Jason Webb Buffalo, MN

Terrible Company. I tried making different claims and they declined each one by referring to some small print exclusion. 1.) They declined my garage door opener that broke 2 months after moving in because I have a detached garage. 2.) The previous homeowner didn't winterize the hot tub correctly causing $3,500 worth of damage, they declined the claim. 3.) The central humidifier stopped working, they declined the claims because it was "pre-existing" even though the home inspection report states otherwise. Don't wast your money, I wish I would have went with American Home Shield. https://www.ahs.com/

Brandon Stow, OH

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Do not let your realtor trick you into getting one (they receive a kickback). Just have the seller give you 500 dollars extra. What an absolute joke of a company. They will do anything they possibly can to not pay a claim. Ignorant customer service representatives that asked questions it was impossible for the technician to answer. The first time I used them they only authorized a portion of what my technician estimated. The second time they refused to cover any of it even though it was clearly described in the “covered section”. If you look closely you will see that they have an opt out for any situation. For instance, they cover drains, faucets, or water line leaks....but not if it is caused by cracking or rust. When would a leak be caused by something other than cracking or rust? This company is a disgrace.

Corey Alpharetta, GA

This is absolutely the worst! Pay that money to a charity at least you are donating to a good cause instead of these sleaze balls. My jacuzzi tub broke and leaked and flooded part of the house. They denied claim after wasting 2 months claiming the broken tub was removed. It was understood through all the calls since it was emergency mitigation work was already done. They first asked my receipts that I fixed leaky toilets as stated on home inspection report, which has nothing to do with the incident. Then they asked plumber diagnosis report. After a month they said the plumber report was no needed they actually needed report from mitigation company and speak to them. Then they told me claim was denied because the mitigation company did not do plumbing report which I offered initially. When I offered again I will re-send the plumber report, they then say the claim is still denied because tub was removed before they were notified in mitigation. This company exceeds all expectations and is the all time gold medalist not only for screwing you in the end, but jerk you around all over the place to get there, so you have the most outstanding experience on the journey to deny.

Ron G Clarksville, TN

I have the home warranty, and when my water heater went out a few months after moving in I called to see if it was covered. They said yes, so I followed their instructions and called someone to fix it (normally I would fix something like this myself, but since it was covered, decided to go ahead with the repair. Only after the fact did they tell me that there was a manufacturer warranty that covered parts only (under $60), so they wouldn't cover labor. As a result, I spent $400 out of pocket because they gave me bad information.

Melia Maketo Mableton, GA

Stay away from this company!!!! If I could give them zero stars, I would. They denied a claim on repairs done to my roof first claiming that I had a type of shingle (curled) on my roof that doesn't exist. The shingles on my roof are asphalt. After being caught in that lie, they switched to another reason. Poor customer service. After dealing with multiple reps (all of whom wrote confusing notes) the last rep had to consult with a supervisor who denied the claim. I would never use this company again.

Cory Alliance, OH

What a joke. This company is a total scam. Said they would cover the cost of my well pump in my water well and would not disclose how much i was covered for they approved the work after talking with the contractor and after the work was done the total came to almost $3k and turns out they only would allow $400. Absolute joke don’t waste your time thinking you have coverage when u buy a warranty from America’s proffered home warranty.

John F McMahon Jr Camdenton, MO

Do not do business with!!! Most worthless company out there, they always have something in the small print to keep from paying. Worthless as toilet paper about as useful too. I am reporting to 20/20 television show and maybe they will be out of business if America is lucky. They should not be allowed to do business, unless lying is their business of choice. I do not know how a business can stay around who acts this way.

Glenn Schmick Wetumpka, AL

The air conditioning repair man who came to our house said APHW will deny your claim. I asked how he knew - he said they ALWAYs do. He was right - they said heat was unusual weather in the summer. He said they have a ay book so no matter what you say - they have a reason not to cover it. ZERO stars!

Jim East China Township, MI

Bought a home in the winter and the A/C could not be inspected. Turned it on in the summer and it didn't work. I was told that was a pre-existing condition so NOTHING was covered. Had I lied and said it worked when I first turned it on and now doesn't, they would've covered the repair. What a joke... save your money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike k Bedford, OH

‘‘This company is a scam. Follow its procedures and just get denied. And they want tell u how well you r protected to have its coverage. I wish a class action suite would filed against them to shut them down All I found online was they don’t cover anything

Joe Hissong Columbus, OH

We bought our home 6 months ago. We have had 3 issues (A/C, roof leaking at fireplace chimney and roof leaking at new construction) and all three claims were denied. Their policy is useless.

MG Daughatridge Nashville, NC

I am an agent and have had very good success with this company as long as you follow their protocol.

Yan Tan Wixom, MI

Don’t trust this company, they want you to pay and then won’t let you get coverage, cheating , lies. Bad service at all, they just have your money and go away.

Mary Morehead City, NC

Call Center is in the United States. Everyone was courteous and helpful.