Blue by ADT Logo

Blue by ADT

5.2

Previously known as LifeShield, an ADT Company, the company has rebranded to Blue by ADT. The security provider is a pioneer in DIY smart home security, offering Wi-Fi-enabled security products that are compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Homeowners and renters can choose from three security sets or build their own custom security set to fit their needs. Low monthly monitoring starts at $19.99 per month to $24.98 per month plus tax. Read our full Blue by ADT review below to see if the home security company is right for you.

Click here to go straight to Blue by ADT reviews.

The Good

• Equipment Warranty and 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
  • Remote Access on All Plans
  • No Landline Phone Connection Required
  • 24/7 Professional Monitoring
  • Home Automation Options
  • Transparent Blue by ADT Pricing

Equipment Warranty and 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee

Blue by ADT provides its customers with Wi-Fi enabled, wireless security products for up to 40% off. An equipment warranty is added to provide protection throughout the entirety of the service contract. All of Blue by ADT products also come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. The 30-day money-back guarantee refund covers upfront costs, including activation fee when applicable, and shipping. Note that customers must return promotional items.

Remote Access on All Plans

The completely wireless home security systems use internet and cellular connections to monitoring centers. Users can use the Blue by ADT app to arm and disarm the alarm system from any location. With four layers of protection (including high-speed internet, cellular signal, cellular text, and landline phone) and 24-hour battery backup, the home security system stays connected to help you stay protected.

No Landline Phone Connection Required

Customers have the option of using landline phone connection as an unrequired backup, but Blue by ADT home security systems don't need a landline connection to operate; rather they operate via cellular and wireless networks.

24/7 Professional Monitoring

Three coast-to-coast monitoring centers help protect you day and night from burglary, fire, and flood. They are backed up with two generators and uninterruptible power supplies. These monitoring centers will immediately alert the customer and emergency service personnel the moment a signal alert is triggered.

Home Automation Options

Blue by ADT has smart home automation included in all plans. With the free Blue by ADT mobile app, you can manage your home security system and your smart home devices. Blue by ADT systems are compatible with Amazon, Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT applets, and Z-Wave Plus devices. Blue by ADT customers can access the following home automation functions directly from their smart device:

• Locking and unlocking smart door locks
  • Dimming or turning on/off your lights
  • Turning smart outlets on/off
  • Controlling smart thermostat temperature and controls
  • Opening and closing your garage door

Transparent Blue by ADT Pricing

Blue by ADT has all pricing information listed on its website. The security systems are priced from $199.15 to $376.10. There is also an option to build your own custom security system.

Monthly monitoring is $19.99 without video storage and $24.98 (plus tax) with 30-day video storage. Available smart home security products with Blue by ADT include:

• Patented base station
  • Nest thermostat
  • Carbon monoxide alarm
  • Flood sensor
  • Keychain remote
  • Yard sign and window stickers
  • 30-Day cloud video storage

The Bad

• No Professional Installation
  • Company History

No Professional Installation

Blue by ADT is a DIY installation home security system. ADT provides plenty of resources and customer support to help homeowners properly install their ADT security system, customers are responsible for installing every component themselves, which may lead to some issues including connectivity problems.

Company History

The company's overall history has been relatively unstable. The company was founded in 2004 and then purchased by DIRECTV in 2013, which then became a part of AT&T in 2015. In April of 2017, the former CEO of Blue by ADT, previously known as Lifeshield, acquired the company from AT&T and brought back the original self-installation platform with a direct-to-consumer approach.

However, in 2019, LifeShield was acquired by ADT. Recently rebranded to Blue by ADT and with ADT support, the company is now taking product innovation to the next level, while continuing to make excellent customer service a top priority.

The Bottom Line

Blue by ADT offers total security solutions to customers across the United States. Monthly plans feature 24/7 professional monitoring, equipment warranties, and remote access from virtually anywhere. Starting at $19.99 per month for entire home coverage and included smart home automation features, service plans are competitively priced against other home security marketplace options. Ordering is easy on Blue by ADT's website without credit checks or activation fees. There are also home automation options controlled through the Blue by ADT mobile app that allows homeowners to synch their home security system and their smart home devices. To hear what past and current customers have to say, read Blue by ADT home security reviews below.

View Best Home Security Companies

3.4

Nemo Austell, GA

Been a Customer since Life Shield. Service is good Product is good - After several configuration attempts to home WiFi. Tech supports needs to step up, Company needs to invest in their employees in educating them on supporting the products. ( I had to tech The blue product myself ). My issues was with the Doorbell camera - It kept going offline per the Blue app. Actually the device is working and connecting to my Wifi as designed. It is when the device goes into it sleep mode at times it is hard to wake the device up. The app needs adjusting, Doesn't need to show "offline" instead show "Sleep". It seems that my X1 modem from my ISP (Xfinity) has kind of a QoS list (Priority list) after adding all my ADT devices to it, Issue seems to be resolved.

V.N. DeKalb, IL

LifeShield's system is simple, easy to understand, easy to install, and it works effectively. I've had it for 3 years now, and I haven't had a problem with it; it's done everything I expected. The unit looks modern, it works effectively, and I'm very pleased. It's not like the previous system I had. The other one had 2 extensive wired systems that weren't reliable, and they always needed some sort of repairs. With LifeShield, I can control it with my iPhone; I love that! I would only recommend them to expand their product line, but besides that, it's been a very positive experience.

Cheryl Z Congress, AZ

I was pleasantly surprised that, whenever there was a problem, the police did come out, or the sheriff I should say. For some reason, the technician forgot to plug in the keypad into an outlet, and the system was operating mainly off the battery. Of course, the battery would completely drain, so that caused the police to come over. Fortunately, I already changed the battery and plugged it into an outlet. Besides that, it's very simple to use, however, I still think that having a dog would be a wonderful alternative.

B. H. Mision Hills, CA

I decided to go with LifeShield because of a burglary to my house, and ever since, I have sleeping easier at night, not being worried when I'm away from home. However, the only thing I'd suggest them to polish is their alert notifications because the text messages and email alerts have a delay, they don't go out at all sometimes.

Martin Constanzer Phoenix, AZ

I am very happy with the assurance that we have, everything's safer when we go to vacations. With my phone app I can track what's going on the house, I can see who's in, and who's out the house. Their customer service is great, they're very helpful and responsive, it's easy to replace batteries or any warranted items. My only suggestion is if it was easier to get new cameras into the system, so it can worth the monthly fee.

Anonymous White Lake, MI

Lifeshield failed to deactivate a recent alarm that was set off due to a mistake from my part. I confirmed my information and requested to the agent that the alarm be stopped while on my way to work, but instead the police showed up unnecessarily. It was a major waste of time from my part and the part of the officer, which could have been easily prevented from Lifeshield.

Eric Jones Fort Lauderdale, FL

They should have regular updates on customer satisfaction. We've had some issues with the equipment, and we haven't really heard any feedback from LifeShield about fixing it or replacing it. We did appreciate the ability to look at the cameras when we're away from home, and to know that our home is safe when we aren't there.

Billie Brown Navarre, FL

My husband was going out of town a lot and I needed something to make sure I was safe, so I decided to go with LifeShield. I like the fact that it alerts me as soon as the door is open, so they gave me the secure feeling of knowing that if somebody opens the door, it will set off. Another thing I really like is the notifications you get when the alarm goes off, they call right away.

Allan Perkins Plant City, FL

Thinking positive about LifeShield, we just lock up everything and set the alarm every day, before we go to bed. However, the alarm has gone off, and we never had a call back from anybody. I would think somebody would call back and find out why the alarm went off. I don't know now if there's going to be any response, as far as local authority, if it goes off.

Micki Walsh Clarksville, TN

After my husband died, my car was broken into, so my son-in-law recommended a security system. I think the biggest benefit LifeShield has provided is that we feel safer now. We installed it ourselves, and it was actually very easy to install. Plus, technical support was excellent, and everything they've had to deal with has been terrific.

Angela Alexander Baltimore, MD

I purchased the system because I believe that it would keep my home, myself, and all my valuables safer. I would say that I appreciate that when an alarm goes off, they call to identify if there's a problem, instead of automatically sending over the base officers. I've had these few false alarms, but I've also had legitimate alarm go off. One thing I did notice is a deduction on my insurance policy.

Phil Gallegos Norwalk, CA

A few upgrades would be beneficial to the customers. We've had a few issues where the sensors didn't work properly. My wife set the alarm off, and she thought the alarm was on, so she walked away. When I got home, the alarm wasn't even on, so I guess the alarm didn't catch. My previous providers didn't install properly their systems, so this is my last hope, and besides that situation, it's been working just fine.

Richard Nichols Groveland, FL

It's been really handy. We feel pretty safe with it. The only negative thing we can think of is that my system was an older version, and it didn't have the cellular connection. Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to update. Either way, it's been a good company.

Ann Block Woodsfield, OH

LifeShield is actually for my small business, and I like the fact that I'm notified and monitored. I can monitor who is entering and leaving the building, when it's locked, and other issues, Overall, I don't have any complaints; I'm very satisfied with the service.

Gary Schwertly San Diego, CA

We've really loved the LifeShield system! We've had it for about 3 and half years, and we've been very pleased with it! Due to technology upgrades, the equipment has changed. AT&T has offered us their own system, but LifeShield is still better. It gives us a peace of mind, knowing everything is protected when we leave. If someone were to try to break, there would be a response by our security system to call the police, or fire department, and that peace of mind is very important to us.

Chrystal Chyrai Hesperia, CA

If I could give them -10 stars I absolutely would. If you are looking for Security System PLEASE DO NOT GET BLUE BY ADT. The customer service is terrible and THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE 24 HOURS. The equipment does not work properly, around 12am someone came past both my outdoor cameras and stand right in front of my door where my camera is pointed directly and These Cameras that I am being charged 400$ for never notified me about human activity or took a picture/video of the person and the only reason why i seen them is because my Ring Doorbell Cam detected it and notified me. These Cameras cost 200$ and don’t pick up any human activity or motion and even if you cancel within 30 day period they will still send you through hell to get your money refunded. Please choose a different company to secure your home, Blue by ADT is a complete waste of time and money.

Fank Fazil New Windsor, NY

Overall, my experience has been great. I wanted to entirely secure my home and in case of an emergency being able to contact the police and fire department. I haven't had any problem with it, it works well and I am happy.

Lisa Correia Providence, RI

So far, I've been happy with the service I've been provided with. I'm at ease, especially during the night, it is good to know that a burglar would have to by pass a sensor just to get into the main level, it just gives protection and peace of mind to my family.

Anonymous Farmington, MI

We have had several false alarms, however, Lifeshield has always called us right away, before the police showed up. We like their Quick response time to the alarm when it goes off!!!!

Phillip Petty Lonsdale, AR

We live in a remote area, so we needed an alarm system because we're not close to any responders. The fact that the system will alert us if there was ever an event has given us a peace of mind. I've been really happy with it.

Thomas Mcdaniels Massillon, OH

There was a little issue with the keyless remote because we dropped it and it broke. After calling, they sent me another one immediately. There was also a little problem with our camera, but it had more to do with our WiFi than LifeShield's actual camera, so basically, we've been issue free. It's given us a peace of mind.

John Sparks Placentia, CA

We had Brinks for a long time, but the lower cost solution that LifeShield offered was the reason we switched over. They should take more advantage out of the smartphone integration, and stuff like that. Their website goes down quite a bit, and It makes it difficult to turn things on and off with the smart device when the website is down. Also, some of the equipment is low quality. Actually, the touch pad is very poor quality; it works, but it has a big crack, even though it sits on the table and never gets touched.

Rebecca Pruitt El Paso, AR

Usually there's kids in my house, and since it's a large home, most of the time I don't hear when somebody is knocking the door. I like that I know when somebody comes in and goes out, and that helps a lot to make sure the teenagers get home in time. I enjoy the system, but I do wish that it came with a camera instead of having to buy one.

Christopher Lewis Springfield, VA

I really like the 24 hour a day access to it. It's all set up with my doors, to open or close, and I can do that from anywhere. Plus, it has the option to call for emergency services in case of a fire, so it's not just for burglars.

Yan Chen Cherry Hill, NJ

Now, we don't have to worry about being inside or outside of our home if someone breaks in. It's provided safety and security to our house. I do have to say that the sensor sometimes happens to be off, even if we don't do anything.

George Gentis Troy, OH

The kids are all grown up, so we really thought that we needed a little more security in monitoring all the doors and windows in the house. It's given us a little extra assurance when we're not home. I just think there should be more flexibility on the app. My telephone app failed to access the individual sensors, the alarms and stuff on it.

Mark Karsonovich Lake Worth, FL

I like the fact that I can check in on my house, and there's no real super benefit, but I know that the alarm will go off if there's a fire in my house or if somebody breaks in. The camera that were sold to me are supposed to be wireless, but they're not wireless. I got my bandwidth increased as much as it could go, and even like that, the cameras were like garbage, so we have to plug them in.

Lydia Lockett Pooler, GA

I purchased LifeShield to improve my safety, however, it'd be nice if they call when I set the alarm off by accident. That makes me think they don't monitor my system as well, and to be honest, I'm actually thinking about switching to another company.

Maurice Jennings Hartford, CT

There haven't been more burglaries since we got LifesShield. It's given my sister and myself more security. I just wish they gave me some of the old stuff we got when I first got the system. It's been a great experience using their service.

Leslie Lott Brownsboro, AL

We were victims of home break-in several years ago in a different home so when we moved in to this house, we knew that we needed this service. I'm very satisfied with the service. When our alarm has set off, they've been very good to contact me. My favorite thing is knowing that, even when I'm not here, I get the alert that the door has been opened, or the alarm has been set. It's exactly what I want it to be.

Sean Fleming Hillsborough Township, NJ

The service is great, but ever since they were acquired by AT&T, their hardware pieces weren't available on their website anymore. It's like they went out of business. Besides that, we've felt better away from home now. It gives us a sense of security.

Karen Miller Orting, WA

I'm really happy with it, and I like the fact that I can tell when people come and go from the house. I also like that it was portable. Actually, I had to move, and it was really easy to move.

Jeff Williams Chico, CA

Having their security system is a peace of mind! Plus, being able to configure it for emails and text alerts is great! However, I currently have a problem with the cellular getaway; it doesn't work anymore. I can't seem to get anybody to help me with it, so the $400 piece of equipment I bought seems useless.

joe ullman Durham, NH

man, some of these criticisms are just BS. I've had this for over 10 years. Yeah, there were some installation issues but the customer service is excellent; they are always there and very helpful. Once it is installed i've had few problems that weren't related to dying batteries. Monitoring service is excellent; i don't know what these people are talking about. I've often gotten alarms that I didn't even know about because I didn't answer the phone. I get email, text or calls. Door and window monitors, motion sensors are all fine. Never had a problem. I have dogs and cats and the alarms never go off. Easy to use interface on web and phone. Maybe if I was doing it again i'd use simpliSafe because the monitoring fee is less but i'm happy with the existing system.

Jeff Robbins Yoakum, TX

Support is ridiculous, never had a call on their system in 3 years. Still charged me another month after cancelling, wont get a final bill for 7 weeks. The lady in the cancellation dept. is nice but the policy is built to screw the customer (they are going to suck every dollar out of you). It took me 5 phone calls to be able to cancel. comparable...bleu or ADT is way too high . If you enjoy the personability of doing business with a company, don't choose Bleu or ADT! Michael Robbins ACCT NO. ***742247

Robert Sowers Indianapolis, IN

I have ADT now and they suck If I was to tell you all the things that they have bad about them people would know how to get around their system and beat it It may be cheap in the long run but not best bang for your buck by no means having issues among that you press stay in a converts to a way and this has been an ongoing issue for 4 years and I've been asking them off and on through emails to please fix it they have yet to do so I'm looking for a new company that has better cameras and a better response overall

Ronnell Tyars Corona, CA

I'm able to look into my home when I'm away, so I like that. Plus, I get notifications about any unauthorized entrance. My only suggestion would be that they should have different camera sizes, and different prices as well.

Joe Story Kansas City, MO

It's been a satisfactory experience, but they should make the alarm sound in the new system louder. It's not very loud. It used to be 105 decibels with the old system, and now it's a lot quieter now.

Jay Barkman Santa Ana, CA

It's easy to use with different people, like our nanny and my grandparents. We can remotely turn it off and on, and use the cameras to assist us as well. We've just been happy with everything.

Kevin Staff Winston-Salem, NC

I've been happy with it. I've had it for over 5 years now, and things have worked well. Plus, it gives me a sense of security of having them when you leave your home, you know that it's protected.

Jeremy Fox Fort Worth, TX

So far, my experience with LifeShield has been very positive. There's not really anything I'd change about them, although, I really like the camera features.

Robert Keating Chalfont, PA

I wanted to replace an existent system in my house, so I chose LifeShield. So far, it's been excellent. However, it'd be great if they improve their communication, and a new equipment would be nice as well.

Francisco Palos McFarland, CA

We have a 5-year contract, and there's a lot of updated equipment is coming out that we would like to take advantage of. Unfortunately, we can't do any of that, so we're stuck with the old equipment. Besides that, I still like the fact that we'll be alerted if somebody entered our house.

Will Bullock Gilbert, AZ

I have experienced, personally, some issues with the system. Every now and then, I get a notification from the system, that our home security is disconnected. I essentially have to go and take the whole thing apart, and manually reboot it.

Barry Feck Nicholasville, KY

So far, I haven't had any concerns. I sleep better at night! My only suggestion would be that they should make the equipment a little more user friendly.

Pat Bishop Crossville, TN

One of the benefits of purchasing LifeShield is that nobody has entered the home if I have it on. Plus. I'm able to monitor it from wherever I'm at. We're fairly satisfied with the service.

Anonymous Yreka, CA

I just like the fact that I can view it in anytime on my smartphone. My wife feels more secure when I'm not home. Also, I like that we can leave our house, knowing that it's secure, and that's valued.

Eileen Zsoldos Stroudsburg, PA

I have a greater sense of security now, and I really appreciate the weather alerts. My only recommendation would be that they should find a way to help maintain their sensors. I've had a couple of sensors go bad on me.

Laura Nantovech Denver, NC

I've always had a security system, and the reason I chose LifeShield was that it's wireless and a self-install system. I'm happy with the system itself, except for the battery. Besides that, it works just fine.

Aly Powell Sandy, UT

The worst of customer service and extremely overpriced. They advertise one low price then show up and install a $3000 system. Extremely sexist customer service. When my husband called to cancel they told him “no worries, but have your wife call in since she’s on the account” and then had the audacity to say to me “so you don’t want to protect your family?” and refused to let me out of the contract even though I canceled in the 3 day window. Sat on hold for over an hour, 4 phone calls, and multiple representatives later and all of them were extremely rude and unprofessional. Go to simpli safe and get the same package without their slimy businessmen for $400.