ADT

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2022

For more than 140 years, ADT has been a leader in the home security industry. The company serves and protects over six million residential and commercial customers throughout the United States. You can purchase an ADT system online or through a local, authorized dealer.

The Good

• Available Equipment
  • Professional Installation
  • Professional Monitoring
  • Home Automation Compatibility
  • Moving Services
  • Theft Protection

Available Equipment

ADT offers predetermined packages as well as customized security solutions. This allows you to choose a security system that matches your needs and budget. The company offers a wide variety of security equipment including the following:

• Control panel
  • Outdoor security cameras
  • Doorbell camera
  • Smoke detectors
  • Carbon monoxide detectors

You can also arm, disarm, and monitor your security system from ADT’s mobile app.

Professional Installation

ADT only offers professional installation services. This usually requires an additional fee; however, ADT often has promotions that include free installation. You will need to talk to an ADT specialist to determine what offers are available to you.

Professional installation limits system malfunctions due to improperly installed equipment. If you are looking for a DIY option, you may want to consider Blue by ADT or one of our other top-recommended companies.

Professional Monitoring

ADT operates nine company-owned monitoring centers across the nation. Agents monitor your security system 24/7. ADT will contact emergency services on your behalf if a burglary, fire, or carbon monoxide leak is detected.

ADT’s professional monitoring services start at $28.99 per month. This is a fairly competitive price for the industry. You can find security companies that offer monitoring services as low as $15 per month. However, monitoring services are most often in the $25–$30 range.

Be aware that the cost of monitoring services increases depending on the type of equipment you add to your security system.

Home Automation Compatibility

ADT offers a variety of home automation equipment that is compatible with your security system. This equipment includes smart door locks, garage door openers, smart plugs, smart lights, and more. It is even compatible with Google Home.

If you are interested in building a home automation system, we recommend speaking with an ADT specialist to ensure the equipment you purchase is compatible with ADT’s security system.

Moving Services

ADT offers discounted installation for customers who move but want to keep their security system. However, how much of a discount you receive depends on your contract length, how long you’ve been a customer, and if your account is in good standing. We recommend contacting ADT as soon as you know you’re moving to discuss options and pricing.

Theft Protection

ADT will pay up to $500 of your insurance deductible if your home is broken into while your security system is armed. There are specific terms and conditions associated with this offer. We recommend that you read your contract thoroughly and speak with an ADT specialist to ensure you understand the coverage and limitations associated with this protection plan.

The Bad

Contract Length

ADT’s standard contract length is 36 months. This is a standard contract length for most home security companies. ADT is known for having deals and discounts associated with signing a contract. We recommend speaking with an ADT specialist to determine what discounts are available to you.

The Bottom Line

As an industry leader, with nearly 150 years of experience, ADT is a reliable choice for anyone looking for a home security system. Its customizable security systems ensure you get a solution that matches your home and budget. We encourage anyone wanting to purchase a home security system from ADT to reach out to a specialist to determine if it fits your specific needs.

4.1

Tara Gillispie Philadelphia, PA

ADT is my number 1 choice out of all the home security companies. I’ve never felt more secure and safe in my home until I had ADT’s services. Their top of the line equipment is such a breeZe to use. My entire family is able to use it. Their prices beat all the other competitors.

Sep. 23rd, 2022

Samantha Rivera Colorado Springs, CO

Have always been a good company for a reasonable price. No issues the alarm does work correctly as we had some issues with the door not closing correctly & setting off the Alarm

Reply from ADT

Thank you for the 5 star review!

Sep. 6th, 2022

J Allen Pensacola, FL

Outstanding home service. I will always use ADT when I reside in a single family home. Very good response time and customer service. Company adds more items pretty regularly. Doing good at keeping up with customer needs and technology available.

Sep. 14th, 2022

Tess Rangus Puyallup, WA

Our home was burglarized, and there was a discount for ADT thru our homeowners policy. The rep that came out was awesome. No high pressure and he was knowledgeable about not only the product, but about the area we live. Affordable. Responsive.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the 5 Stars and happy our team took good care of you.

Sep. 1st, 2022

Aryo

I received a promotion offer from ADT and called them to understand their pricing. Despite the fact that their monthly fee is too high compare to other security companies their price for devices are so high as well. I was told that each camera would cost me around $300. Compare to ring which is between $60-100 is too much. Plus they charge $99 installation fee and also you have to sign a contract for around 3 years. If you cancel the contract there is a penalty. Here is the summary, it doesn’t worth it!

Reply from ADT

We're very sorry to learn of the frustration you experienced contacting ADT! Please email our team directly at [email protected] along with a reference to your concern and the full address associated with the account if we may assist you in addressing your issues.

Sep. 19th, 2022

Melody Rowe Fayetteville, NC

ADT was one of my favorites years and years ago. However, with advance technology and things they don't offer what some of their competitors do. I left them for more advancement but were a good starting point company.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for providing us with your feedback and for taking the time to write a review.

Sep. 16th, 2022

Alex Kouris Janesville, WI

To be sure I've never had an incident that frighted me more than when I received a call at about 2 in the morning and it was ADT. I quickly had police dispatched and I was looking at the cameras in and around my business. That's right I have 2 systems and thankfully I have never had more than a false alarm at my home. Turns out the back door at the office was broken into but the siren scared them away. I have had ADT for over 20 years and as long as they don't keep raising prices I will keep them.

Reply from ADT

We're so sorry to hear of this attempted break in but are so glad everything is OK! Thank you so much for being such an incredible part of the ADT family and please reach out to our team directly at 1-800-238-2727 if we may be of any additional assistance. ~ Thank you

Jul. 25th, 2022

Megan Garzaglass

Fast and friendly service. Plan offers updates on equipment. I feel safe and protected and customer service is easy to access for trouble or shooting.

Sep. 14th, 2022

Jerry Weaver Katy, TX

Have been with ADT over 20 years, they have been a excellent company to work with. When we have had issues they have always fixed the problem as quickly as possible.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for the five star review and the positive feedback!

Matthew Laney Placentia, CA

I had ADT install a home security system in a previous residence. The system was very comprehensive and sensitive which gave peace of mind. The monitoring representatives were always vigilant and cordial on the phone. The service was so good that one of my friends decided to gave an ADT system installed in their home.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for your review and for being one of the best parts of the ADT family!

Mario Martin Huntsville, TX

Your family should feel safe! Some years ago when I had moved with my family into our new home, I decided to look into a home security system after an attempted home invasion. Feeling confident that my myself and my family are protected is my first priority . A sense of safety was difficult to restore especially if you and your family's well-being had been put in jeopardy. So I contacted ADT home security company. ADT home security system experts goal was to help us regain confidence in our family's safety again. After contacting the representatives at ADT, the process was very easy and stress-free. Immediately the ADT professionals installed fire detectors, and video surveillance systems, as well as other needed security components to our home. ADT home security professionals had what we needed to be confident in our family's security. Every security system additions and upgrades were patiently and professionally explained. I was even given a contact number for one of the technicians in case I had some trouble, concerns, or additional questions later. The service I had received from ADT was more than I expected, and helped to reduce any stress, anxiety, or doubt that I may have had at the time.Don't wait until the unthinkable occurs! Be safe and confident that your family is safe with a ADT customized home security system.

Reply from ADT

Hello Mario. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy to hear your kind words. Have a great weekend!

Jun. 17th, 2022

Brenda Anderson Waxahachie, TX

ADT has to be the best security system in the world. It’s the only one that will hold up in a court of law against a guilty party. I have had mine now for a year and a half and it is well worth the $65 I spend a month that keeps all the thieves away and unwanted people. If they know you have ADT they’re not going to try to break into your house has been my experience. After having experiences with someone breaking into my home after a house fires and before the house fire by an x convict. This man lives in my neighborhood and he does not come on my property anymore now that I have ADT. The place that I reported him to were not concerned and didn’t help me. But my ADT has been successful in keeping unwanted people away. I have the full set up with sensors on every door and window and cameras in the house and outside the house. It’s only $65 a month and I think that’s a cheap price to pay for my security and I can sleep again at night without having to worry about theft or bodily harm. ADT is very Professional it works very well and it’s simple to use.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for being a part of the ADT family! We appreciate the feedback and the five star review!

Ines Dallas, TX

We have ADT services and it is very reliable, technician are very professional and equipment is new and updated. Always available when needed.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for the five star review and the positive feedback!

North Florida Wildliife Center Dothan, AL

This is the company that comes to mind when I think home security. The window clings and yard signs have been up for years and you know those houses are secured. Their packages are on the pricier side but you cant really put a price on safety.

Jun. 8th, 2022

Mary Kate F Greer, SC

ADT truly checks the boxes on every conceivable need and want from a home security company. They are very well known, reliable, and reputable for their experience and extensive home monitoring network, and for good reason: ADT’s services feature professional equipment and custom designed security systems that allow you to determine the extent and level of home security you want. They even have a six month guarantee that you will be equally pleased with ADT or your money back! Only con is that ADT’s services can be in the pricey side, but I would expect high prices due to ADT’s experience and prestige, given their top ranking status in the US for security companies.

Reply from ADT

Hi Mary! Thank you for the 4 star review, and kind words! We truly appreciate your feedback! We take pride in the level of service, and products we provide our customers, and our day to day operations as professionals in our business. Welcome to the ADT family!

May. 12th, 2022

Fanisha Houston, TX

Great company. My cat set my alarm off daily and each time ADT did their part to make sure my home was secured.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the 5 Stars.

Sep. 9th, 2022

Dee Jacksonville, FL

A good company. If there are any issues they will respond right away for alarms. Do not like the fact that I paid more than $200 for an alarm key pad that I could not take with me when I moved.

Reply from ADT

We appreciate your feedback regarding our services!

Shelby Cash Waleska, GA

I have had ADT for about 6 years and of those 6 years the system has worked correctly maybe 31/2 of them . I call them they come out and supposedly fix it and and a couple of months later it is doing the same thing. I am fixing to cancel with them , not worth the money.

Reply from ADT

We are sorry to learn of your concerns. Please connect with our technical support team at 1-800-238-2727 so they can further assist you. Thank you!

Jul. 15th, 2022

Betty Wyble Iowa, LA

Prior to hurricane Laura we were pleased with the service.During the time we had on electricity they continued to charge us for service we were not receiving.We asked that the service be suspended until we got back in our house which was 3 months later but they charged us for the service anyway.

Reply from ADT

Hello Betty. We are sorry to learn of your concerns. Please connect with our technical support team at 1-800-238-2727.

Jul. 15th, 2022

Amarie Rodriguez Spring, TX

I had service for about 3yrs and I wasn’t too happy with my service. Prices were to high and not the same I was quoted over the phone. They told me what I wanted to hear and always changed the price on their end. I wasn’t a happy customer.

Reply from ADT

We're so sorry to learn of this disheartening experience as an ADT family member and our team would love review your experience with you! Please email our team at [email protected] with more details about this situation if we may be of any further assistance in resolving your concern. ~ Thank you

Helaine Sanford, FL

I have ADT since I bought my house in 1999. It has been a reliable company for my home. I also have ADT at my business. It has not been as reliable at my business. I think it does a good job for home security, but it is difficult for it to provide really good service for businesses because it seems like it does not have enough staff on the commercial side. Also, it is very difficult to get a sales person on the business side. It is fairly easy to get one on the residential side.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for being a longtime part of our ADT family. We appreciate the review. Please connect with us at 1-888-211-8563 and we can assist you with commercial concerns.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

ADT is really the best professional security system. Not only did they help set everything up, they also gave me an ADT sign to put in my yard that easily scares away any potential threats. They even have a theft protection guarantee that helps keep me at ease. If you really want some top notch security, ADT is the way to go.

Reply from ADT

Hi Ashlyn! Thank you for the 5 star review, and the kind words! We take pride in how we service our customers, and are happy you've chosen ADT as your home security provider. Have a great day!

May. 12th, 2022

Tharessa Langley Philadelphia, PA

ADT is a good Home Security company, I've been with ADT Home Security for about 3 yrs now I haven't had any problems with the security system yet I like how it announce everytime you open the front/back door whenever it is opened, that lets me know someone is entering or exiting my residence and I heard it all the upstairs Excellent service!!!!

David Bornancin Westlake, OH

I have used ADT Security Services in the Past for complete Home Security. They provide the best equipment, monitoring and reports to protect my entire home and surrounding grounds. They also provide Signs for your yard to keep people out and show your home is totally protected. Highly recommend ADT.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for your kind words, David. If you ever need anything, we're here for you at 1 800 238 2727. Stay safe! - Mazen

M Smith Arcadia, FL

Very trustworthy and very reliable! Alert immediately when alarm goes off!

Reply from ADT

Hello! We're so pleased to hear this. Thank you for your 5 star ratings and review.

Sep. 15th, 2022

World Traveler Ashburn, VA

Horrible company and customer service. It's absolutely impossible to cancel even after the contract expires. They did not cancel ours on purpose even when I called weeks in advance. They actually kept charging on a monthly basis after the contract expired without our consent. I had to dispute the charges. Bad business practices.

Reply from ADT

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at [email protected] with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Aug. 4th, 2022

Abi Deen Dallas, TX

ADT been around for a very long time. The rates are affordable and the security service is awesome. Highly recommend!

Reply from ADT

Hi Abi! Thank you so much for the love and 5 star review!

Aug. 3rd, 2022

April Simpson Fayetteville, NC

We have Ring and ADT. ADT is our monthly monitored system. Easy to use and they price is like $1 per day! Very worth it and I feel safe.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the 5 Stars.

Jul. 22nd, 2022

Nxx Wang Mount Sinai, NY

The product is reliable. We have an old-style system inherited from the previous owner. ADs are overwhelming. I see ADT postcards in my mailbox almost every day.

Reply from ADT

We're so sorry to hear of these unwanted mailings and our team would be happy to reach out to the ADT Do Not Mail Team on your behalf if you could please email our team at [email protected] with a reference to your concern and the full address receiving these communications. ~ Thank you

Jul. 13th, 2022

Linda Howard New Orleans, LA

I have been with ADT for such along time that when my system was not connecting they had a tech out so fast to assist me it was so appreciated.

Reply from ADT

Linda thank you for sharing your feedback! We appreciate you as a long time ADT family member and hope you have a great day!

Sirdriz77 Fairfield, CT

ADT is a great company with excellent customer service and I used that at my place of business where I handled them as a vendor. The only negative is that they are more expensive than some of the other options out there. If you want a great product and don’t mind paying extra for it, ADT is a great choice.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for choosing ADT and being a loyal customer! We appreciate your feedback. Have a great day! - Mazen

May. 19th, 2022

Lisa Cato Lake City, FL

The sales rep was very convincing of the services available to include indicating that my insurance rates would be better because of a home security system...not true. The basic monitoring service consisted of window and door sensors and 2 yard signs. The price started at $29 monthly and gradually went up to $59 plus during the length of the mandatory contract without addition perks being added. The monitoring consisted of a phone call to me if a sensor alerted, not to law enforcement. It was not worth it.. as soon as my contract time ended discontinued the service. Will not utilize them again.....

Reply from ADT

Hello Lisa. We are sorry to learn of your concerns and would be happy to help you. Could you please email us the full address and telephone number associate with your account along with a copy of your review to [email protected] Thank you

A 1 Mesquite, TX

Great products and app. Prices are reasonable. I would say that the phone technicians aren’t as helpful as field technicians. Many times I’ve been charged a service charge after an appointment that I was not aware of. Communication could be better with ADT. Managers aren’t keen on returning calls to customers as requested.

Reply from ADT

Greetings and Salutations! ADT always strives to provide the best possible experience and we thank you for sharing your feedback and concerns.

May. 16th, 2022

Lou Darin Fond du Lac, WI

Some problems to work out in the beginning- false alarms occurring mostly. Overall, the service was good. Disconcerning that we were once notified by ADT that we had an intruder alarm going off when we were 20 minutes from home. We went home, walked around the house, and when we couldn't find any signs of entry, searched the house ourselves. Police finally got there 10 minutes after we finished searching. Guess the service can only be as good as your police department.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for reaching out to us and for joining the ADT family. We're sorry to hear about the troubles you had at the beginning. If further assistance is needed email our team directly at [email protected] with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Samf Pompano Beach, FL

Had ADT install a security system in my house. I had one false alarm and they responded right away. I have nothing to complain about with them and was happy with the service till I moved.

Abby Smith Dothan, AL

Customer service was wonderful and so was the security system. It was just overpriced.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for the feedback regarding our services, we do try to keep our prices competitive in todays market.

Timotheos Alexandria, VA

Superior coverage 24/7/365! Provides a high comfort level for use when not at home! Support staff is second to none!

Jul. 20th, 2022

Kelli Spencer Statesville, NC

The tech that came to install the equipment was a third party contractor. He spent 11 hours at my house the first day and then had to return again the following day to complete the installation. While there on the first day he nicked the electrical wiring in the wall that killed all the power on the circuit to the outlets on one side of my house. I spent hours on the phone with multiple ADT representatives, all of whom had no idea who I was, whom I should talk to, that it's not their problem or responsibility, and that there are 2 different ADT agencies. One is corporate and one is the monitoring agency and they do not communicate. I was so disgusted after the complete disregard for the inconvenience, the property damage, risk of fire to my home that I terminated our agreement after being told that I would have to hire an electrician to repair the damage and someone to repair the drywall, wainscoting and paint, and submit the invoices for review. If they were approved it could take up to 90 days to process payment.

Reply from ADT

Kelli, We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at [email protected] with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

May. 26th, 2022

Jane Milton Reidsville, NC

Had ADT For A Few Years-Never Had A Problem With My Service. Customer Service Was Always Excellent Anytime My Alarm Was Tripped. Always A Quick Response Frm ADT.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for the 5 star review, Jane! We truly appreciate the positive feedback and are happy to read of your satisfaction!

May. 24th, 2022

Autumn Lewiston, ID

I like that ADT has been in the home security business for a long time. They are trustworthy and have built a great word-of-mouth reputation. I have not chosen a home security system yet but ADT is on my list.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for the feedback and we would love it if you joined the ADT family!

May. 23rd, 2022

Charles Hughes Southport, NC

We have three different locations being serviced by ADT. The technicians are always great and very helpful. Customer support takes too long to get a live person to answer and the automated systems doesn't help.

Reply from ADT

Hi Charles . Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please let us know at 1-800-238-2727 how we can earn 5 stars.

May. 19th, 2022

no sugarcoating Cheshire, CT

I got a quote from ADT while shopping for a security system and of course they offer 'introductory' prices... Other than being connected 24/7 with them, no major benefits to brag about. When you compare prices, I get a lot more from Blink than what I was quoted with them. Besides I like to control my system and Blink had more customizable features. Sorry I could just not get over the price/contract commitment. No regrets that I didn't go with them

Reply from ADT

Thank you for the feedback!

May. 20th, 2022

Jeff Dallas, TX

I pay for ADT security for my daughters apartment. The price is a bit high for what she is getting IMO. Their service has been good since they did have to send the police after a break in. Equipment used has been okay with me having to make some adjustments to get it to work correctly.

Reply from ADT

Jeff- Thank you for sharing your feedback and please don't hesitate to reach out to our team directly at 1-800-238-2727 if you are in need of any future assistance.

May. 16th, 2022

Doc B Decatur, GA

After more than 15 years as a monitored customer ADT wanted to charge me over $600 to upgrade to their new system because 5G technology made my old unit obsolete. Then I had to conform to a set package of devices or be charged for every accessories added. I just wanted to retain full perimeter coverage at ground level, ie all doors and windows… not a select few. For the cost of an upgrade and 6 months of monitoring fees I could purchase and install a monitored DIY system… design it to give me 100% coverage and I would own my equipment and could self monitor via my smart phone if I chose. That is what I did.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for taking the opportunity to reach out to us and for being with us over 15 years! We're sorry to hear about this experience and not having the chance to keep your business. We will definitely use the opportunity in the future in retaining our loyal customers

L Turner Avon, IN

had ADT at my first home. the montoring service was good and I had no issurs with them . I had fire and police services monitor me as well. The fees seemed high and I am not a fan of being locked into a multi year contract. I don't know how they do things now, but Being locked up for service is unreasonable.

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing ADT, L! - Mazen

James Singleton New Orleans, LA

My problem with ADT was their inability to effective take care of my issues with my alarm . It always seemed like a problem for my technician to return my calls about my system and any problems I was having with the system. Therefore I don't believe that I was getting the best service possible for my system.

Reply from ADT

Hello James- We're sorry about that. Are you still having trouble? If so, may we ask that you email [email protected] with your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description, so that we can further review and assist? We'll be sure to promptly follow-up. Thank you, - Mazen

Frank Rivera Boston, MA

My wife and I selected ADT's secure home package that monitors our vacation home against fire, floor and rising CO levels. It's a secure feeling being 2,000 miles away.

Reply from ADT

Thank you for choosing ADT to help you protect what matters most, Frank! - Mazen

Rebecca D Muskegon, MI

ADT is always always on point. They never hesitate to stay with you on your call until you are completely satisfied. Will continue to be a customer for years to come.

Reply from ADT

We look forward to protecting what matters most to you for years to come. Thank you! - Mazen

Syeda Zephyrhills, FL

Comfortable process. Technicians are very caring

Reply from ADT

Thank you for the 5 star review!

Sep. 6th, 2022

Karen Z Tulsa, OK

I’ve never had any complaints they are always fast to respond.

Aug. 4th, 2022