Best Company Guarantee USAA Logo

USAA

7.6

LAST UPDATED: August 11th, 2022

USAA has a long history as a financial services and insurance provider to military members and their families. It has earned high financial strength ratings and is known for tailoring products and services to meet the needs of military members.

USAA's home insurance is no exception and includes specialized coverage for military uniforms. If you're a current or former military member and a homeowner, a USAA home insurance product is worth exploring.

Read USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

The Good

• High Financial Strength Ratings
  • Coverage Options
  • Military Uniform Coverage
  • Home Sharing Coverage
  • Ways to Save

High Financial Strength Ratings

USAA has received high financial strength ratings. These ratings are important to check before buying insurance because they indicate the long-term financial outlook of an insurer. High financial strength ratings are common among top insurers, so USAA's high financial strength ratings make it competitive.

Coverage Options

USAA is also competitive in its home insurance coverage options. It offers dwelling, personal belongings, loss of use, other structures, and personal liability insurance coverage. These offerings are typical for home insurance.

Depending on your area, you may also include identity theft coverage with your homeowners insurance policy.

Military Uniform Coverage

In addition to the standard coverage, USAA advertises coverage for military uniforms.

Although any home insurance carrier would likely include coverage for a military uniform under personal belongings, USAA goes further. If your uniform is lost due to a covered peril while you are on active duty or deployed, the deductible is waived.

With this coverage, USAA shows its commitment to serving and meeting the insurance needs of military members and their families.

Home Sharing Coverage

If you rent all or part of your home, you may be able to get home sharing coverage through USAA. This coverage isn't available everywhere, so check to see if it's available in your area.

Some insurers offer similar coverage, but it is not common. Offering this kind of coverage makes USAA stand out.

Ways to Save

Like other home insurers, USAA offers discounts and savings opportunities to make your home insurance rate more affordable. Offerings include a claims-free discount and a protective device credit. Policyholders can also bundle their policy with auto insurance to receive a discount.

If these discounts don't help enough with your insurance premium costs, you can also opt for a higher deductible.

Although some competitors offer more discounts, USAA's discount options are competitive.

The Bad

• Eligibility Requirements
  • Insufficient Customer Insight

Eligibility Requirements

You must become a USAA member before you can purchase USAA home insurance. No fees are required for USAA membership. However, you must be a current or retired military member or an immediate family member of someone who served in the U.S. military.

If you do not meet USAA's eligibility requirements, you'll need to find another insurance company.

Insufficient Customer Insight

Although it's promising that USAA home insurance reviews on BestCompany.com are mostly positive, there are not very many of them. Although USAA is competitive, a full recommendation based on customer satisfaction is not currently available.

The Bottom Line

Although more customer review data would offer better insight into the quality of USAA's services, it is a recommended insurer because of its competitive homeowners insurance products and high financial strength ratings. USAA's services are only available to its members, so you must meet its eligibility requirements.

A USAA policy is an especially good fit for homeowners insurance if you want specialized coverage for your military uniform.

Call our recommended rep over at USAA below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

David Garcia Chicago, IL

USAA has been our insurance for our home for many years. During that time period, we have had the need to file two claims. Both were handled in an expeditious, professional and understanding manner. All elements were handled fairly and with a level of care and understanding as though the adjusters were actually the client. I will remain with USAA despite the numerous insurance companies trying to get our business. Best insurance ever.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

USAA has provided AMAZING support for myself and the service members in my family. I appreciate the benefits they give to those who served their country and their families when it comes to insuring our homes.

JJ Jenkins Bracey, VA

USAA is the best home insurance company we could every ask for. They settle claims quickly and fairly. We have been customers of USAA for over 25 years . You don’t have a long wait when you contact them and all of their representatives are knowledgeable courteous and caring.

Daniel Smith Canton, GA

Great company with high quality coverage at competitive rates. Very customer friendly website and excellent live customer service on the phone. Could not recommend a btter comapny for all of your insurance needs should you qualify.

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

Very helpful getting quotes and rates to bundle. My wife has had USAA for other insurance. Very competitive price compared to other bigger insurance companies.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

Great customer service and always there to answer questions and concerns. Very simple and quick claims process , had storm damage that took our furnace out, we were amazed at how fast we had it replaced.

Philip Patton Bullhead City, AZ

I have been with USAA for both my home insurance and car insurance and they have always been easy to deal with. I am a veteran of 23 years in the US Army and I highly recommend them to any man or woman who have served in the military

Judy Greene Pahrump, NV

Great customer service! I signed up over the phone because I had a lot of questions that the website did not answer. The rep was patient and answered all my questions, made suggestions, and then basically tailored the insurance to what I wanted. Their billing is accurate and received well ahead of time in case there are questions.

Rae Martinez Peoria, AZ

Was able to bundle house and all vehicles under one, very cost effective, policy. Coverage is excellent. They are very service oriented, helpful and professional. Easier to reach them by phone - not thrilled with their computer, not overly user friendly. But the 'live' person is always great - and it's easy to get to a 'live' person.

MFlower Glen Allen, VA

They had the best rate when I was shopping around. No complaints. I haven’t had an issues or had a claim to compare but the rate is better than any other I found.

Jlbflatx New Braunfels, TX

Here in Texas we have USAA which is a fantastic company. They are always there if you need them . All personnel are super friendly and helpful. Can’t go wrong with USAA.

Michelle Kathleen, GA

USAA has excellent rates and customer service. They are easy to work with and take care of their people. I would recommend them to everyone who is eligible.

Gordon Firemark San Diego, CA

I’ve been a USAA customer all My adult life. Their service is great. Claims process is smooth. Never had anything but a satisfactory experience. Prices are competitive and coverage is superior.

Patti Crawford Appleton, WI

I have had USAA for around 29 years now. I have been through a fire, hail, and flood and could not be any happier than I am with USAA.

Daniel Fowler

USAA was the Insurance of choice. Being Military, this was the best insurance out there. However, as time went by, the rates went up and up. I had no claims but every 6 months it went up. USAA by all means is the best when it comes to customer service and support, but I just couldn't afford them after many years of being with them.

jamee emens Scottsdale, AZ

I have been a USAA member for 30+ years. USAA is a reputable company that will fight for you. The representatives are knowledgeable and easy to get in touch with.

Rebekah Cothren Fleetwood, NC

The customer support with this company is beyond awesome! They were patient and attentive and we got way more coverage than we would have if we had gone somewhere else! And it was so much more affordable.

Myreviewname Friendswood, TX

We use USAA for all the things! I feel valued every time we call and work with them.

Glenda Galloso Mission, TX

We have had USAA for many years and have all our insurances with them. They are very reliable and have great customer services.

Michael Bacon Vancouver, WA

A company that cares about it's customers (and our Military, both past and present!)! Such a refreshing company in todays world of profits only companies.

Melissa Mercado San Antonio, TX

This is truly the best company. I always have excellent service. It is a one stop shop with homeowners insurance, car insurance, term and life policies, and car loans.

Leah Mills Kapolei, HI

the best banking and insurance company. they have the best and most competitive rates compared to any other company. the customer service is amazing as well and they really care about you as a person/customer.

edward Winik High Springs, FL

This is an absolute excellent company, totally safe to use online and have all kinds of services that fit all of your needs financially. Good loan company, great banking and credit card offers.

Dana Hatfield Bullhead City, AZ

I have my renters insurance bundled with my auto insurance, and so get a great deal. The policy covers everything I could ask for it to cover. Luckily I haven't had to make any claims, but I'm sure if I ever do it will be handled in a professional manner as I have always gotten great customer service from USAA. Plan on staying with them for the foreseeable future. Would recommend them to anyone who qualifies for membership.

Betty Piquion Smithtown, NY

Great bank for veterans that help saving money on your bundle car insurance.

Robert Magyar Meriden, CT

Excellent company with great customer service.

Sam Massey Seaside, CA

As a veteran, USAA has always been there for me and my family through all of our challenges and needs. I rest easy at night knowing they protect my assets, money, and family in case of any emergencies. They also monitor my accounts for fraud, providing us with fast, great, customer service.

Ronalee Hardy Independence, MO

Amazing customer service and it is a pleasure to do business with them.

Rich N New London, CT

We have used USAA for home and auto insurance for years. Fortunately, we have never needed to file a claim for auto but I know they would be there if we needed it. Unfortunately, we have had to file a claim for water damage caused by a leaking pipe behind a wall that went undetected and created significant damage including mold. USAA was AWESOME in helping us get the situation remedied and returned to normal. Thank you!

EB

I’ve been a USAA customer for almost 20 years. My supervisor at my first duty station recommended them for renters insurance. Since then, I’ve used USAA for both banking and insurance. I’ve also had children and saved for their education, had car accidents, made some major purchases, and saved for retirement. Overall, my experiences with USAA have been positive. They have great customer service.

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

I have been a USAA customer for my home insurance ever since I bought my first house when I was 25. I am now 63. They are excellent. Their service is great and the cost is the best you will find, and they can insure just about everything. If you’re lucky enough to qualify to get service from USAA in the first place, just do it. You cannot do better.

Warren Grover Seattle, WA

I have been with USAA for homeowners and renters insurance for most of my adult life--I am 74 years old. A great company to work with--in that time I have moved around a lot with the military and then in my civilian life. We are currently in our 15th home and I had renters insurance on 4 different apartments as well before purchasing my first house. USAA is easy to work with and has outstanding customer service if you need to contact them. The USAA website is very comprehensive and user friendly.

MGW San Jose, CA

I've been with USAA for all of my home and car insurance for about 10 years and intend to stick with them. They are not at all the least expensive insurance out there, just the best in terms of customer service and care. I did a lot of research before going through the process of getting an account, quotes, and signing up. Much as it's a cliche with insurance you do get what you pay for. They are incredibly helpful, kind, and provide amazing customer service.

Christopher Fresno, CA

Excellent value for the money. Hassle free claims and excellent customer service.

AnRe Philadelphia, PA

My mother had this insurance and she was quite pleased with them. When I took over her financial issues as her power of attorney I had to deal with USAA and I never had any problems. My experience dealing with their customer service was pleasant and helpful.

Angela Chesapeake, VA

The overall price is good. We’ve never had to make claims except once, we lost power for days and lost all our food in our fridge and freezer. USAA was super nice and understanding. We’ve never had to file anything else and honestly hope we never do. But the one time we did we got the service you’d expect.

Jazz Rock Fusion & Synthesizer Music Wake Forest, NC

Trustworthy company that has been around for decades. Strongly recommended.

Brad Kendzora Oakland, CA

No issues with the insurance, but haven't needed to file a claim.

Paula Barber Melbourne, FL

USAA has been a very reliable company for my home insurance. The staff is very friendly & always seem to be able to answer any question I may have. So far I have been lucky & not had to file a claim of any kind but I feel they will be there for me if anything pops up.

Samantha Soto Ellensburg, WA

USAA is great. They contact us enough to be effective but not so much that we get annoyed. Their prices are great, and their staff takes the time to answer questions fully and completely, and very patiently.

Billy stout Tampa, FL

I have had renters insurance with USAA for 3 years now they have the most reasonable rates and at least once a year contact you to see if you need additional coverage or to deduct something, very good customer service.

Ashley Thompson Sherwood, AR

USAA has been a great company for homeowner insurance. They have competitive pricing and rates. Also their customer service is always top notch. We are always able to talk to someone and get our issue resolved quickly.

Chelsea Pleasant Grove, UT

Have never needed to make a claim but is so worth the price is anything has happened! Has been amazing all my insurance and Loans are through them and don’t plan on going anywhere else!

Debbie Sommer South San Francisco, CA

Excellent réponse and customer service - above and beyond!

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

The ABSOLUTE best company around for all types of insurance, on-line bank services, credit cards, home and auto lines and insurances. I have been a satisfied customer since 1977 and go no other place when I need a financial instrument. Their home owners insurance is some of the lowest cost instruments in the marketplace. Low cost does not mean low service. Often my claims have been settles before I even complete the paperwork. Household claims are often paid without an inspector based only on the integrity of the claimant.....we are USAA for LIFE

Heather Novus Palm Bay, FL

Someone hacked into our bank account and emptied it. We reported the issue and they returned our money only to have it happen again the same day. We reported the issue to the police and USAA would not do anything to help the police catch the criminal. All they needed to do was tell the police the account number that the money was moved to and they refused. Horrible.

Abigail Land Tallahassee, FL

I got my insurance within a day. They let you customize it to make it work best for your needs. Super polite customer service people and worth the price.

Mario Martin Houston, TX

I currently use this service provider and I've had some good experiences. The product services are both reliable and reasonable. And as a member of the veteran community I couldn't ask for more from my insurance provider!

Robert Singleton Gilbert, AZ

I love USAA as an insurance company. Their customer service is always exceptional and they seem to be most concerned about my needs as an insured. When I have had to make claims they are first and foremost concerned with my families well-being. Additionally, they look for ways for me to maximize my coverage as my situation changes.

Sabrina

We utilized USAA homeowners insurance when our home flooded due to a problem pipe in our master bathroom. USAA was prompt and we were able to have everything that was damaged repaired. I would highly recommend them for homeowners insurance.