USAA Logo

USAA

LAST UPDATED: August 16th, 2021

USAA has a long history as a financial services and insurance provider to military members and their families. It has earned high financial strength ratings and is known for tailoring products and services to meet the needs of military members.

USAA's home insurance is no exception and includes specialized coverage for military uniforms. If you're a current or former military member and a homeowner, a USAA home insurance product is worth exploring.

Read USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

The Good

• High Financial Strength Ratings
  • Coverage Options
  • Military Uniform Coverage
  • Home Sharing Coverage
  • Ways to Save

High Financial Strength Ratings

USAA has received high financial strength ratings. These ratings are important to check before buying insurance because they indicate the long-term financial outlook of an insurer. High financial strength ratings are common among top insurers, so USAA's high financial strength ratings make it competitive.

Coverage Options

USAA is also competitive in its home insurance coverage options. It offers dwelling, personal belongings, loss of use, other structures, and personal liability insurance coverage. These offerings are typical for home insurance.

Depending on your area, you may also include identity theft coverage with your homeowners insurance policy.

Military Uniform Coverage

In addition to the standard coverage, USAA advertises coverage for military uniforms.

Although any home insurance carrier would likely include coverage for a military uniform under personal belongings, USAA goes further. If your uniform is lost due to a covered peril while you are on active duty or deployed, the deductible is waived.

With this coverage, USAA shows its commitment to serving and meeting the insurance needs of military members and their families.

Home Sharing Coverage

If you rent all or part of your home, you may be able to get home sharing coverage through USAA. This coverage isn't available everywhere, so check to see if it's available in your area.

Some insurers offer similar coverage, but it is not common. Offering this kind of coverage makes USAA stand out.

Ways to Save

Like other home insurers, USAA offers discounts and savings opportunities to make your home insurance rate more affordable. Offerings include a claims-free discount and a protective device credit. Policyholders can also bundle their policy with auto insurance to receive a discount.

If these discounts don't help enough with your insurance premium costs, you can also opt for a higher deductible.

Although some competitors offer more discounts, USAA's discount options are competitive.

The Bad

• Eligibility Requirements
  • Insufficient Customer Insight

Eligibility Requirements

You must become a USAA member before you can purchase USAA home insurance. No fees are required for USAA membership. However, you must be a current or retired military member or an immediate family member of someone who served in the U.S. military.

If you do not meet USAA's eligibility requirements, you'll need to find another insurance company.

Insufficient Customer Insight

Although it's promising that USAA home insurance reviews on BestCompany.com are mostly positive, there are not very many of them. Although USAA is competitive, a full recommendation based on customer satisfaction is not currently available.

The Bottom Line

Although more customer review data would offer better insight into the quality of USAA's services, it is a recommended insurer because of its competitive homeowners insurance products and high financial strength ratings. USAA's services are only available to its members, so you must meet its eligibility requirements.

A USAA policy is an especially good fit for homeowners insurance if you want specialized coverage for your military uniform.

Call our recommended rep over at USAA below.

4.8

Angela Chesapeake, VA

The overall price is good. We’ve never had to make claims except once, we lost power for days and lost all our food in our fridge and freezer. USAA was super nice and understanding. We’ve never had to file anything else and honestly hope we never do. But the one time we did we got the service you’d expect.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

The ABSOLUTE best company around for all types of insurance, on-line bank services, credit cards, home and auto lines and insurances. I have been a satisfied customer since 1977 and go no other place when I need a financial instrument. Their home owners insurance is some of the lowest cost instruments in the marketplace. Low cost does not mean low service. Often my claims have been settles before I even complete the paperwork. Household claims are often paid without an inspector based only on the integrity of the claimant.....we are USAA for LIFE

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

USAA used Marshall and Swift to value my insurance amount on our home. Price came in excessively high since we live in an area with high land values. Unfortunately had to get insurance elsewhere since pricing wasn't in line with competition of more local insurers.

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

USSA has great competitive premiums for insurance and auto loans. Their customer service dept is easy to work with .

Amy Gardiner Germantown, MD

USAA has been there for us for several mishaps in our house. They are quick. Efficient and are always there when we need them. You can't beat their rates!

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

USAA is the absolute best insurance company, they have the best rates/prices and great customer service. I’ve been a member for life and will never leave them.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I have a great bundle for home insurance and it helps me feel comfortable that we would be covered in case of emergencies. It is not the cheapest insurance out there but great coverage and support.

Robert Singleton Gilbert, AZ

I love USAA as an insurance company. Their customer service is always exceptional and they seem to be most concerned about my needs as an insured. When I have had to make claims they are first and foremost concerned with my families well-being. Additionally, they look for ways for me to maximize my coverage as my situation changes.

Sabrina

We utilized USAA homeowners insurance when our home flooded due to a problem pipe in our master bathroom. USAA was prompt and we were able to have everything that was damaged repaired. I would highly recommend them for homeowners insurance.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

USAA has some of the lowest rates I’ve seen. The application process is so easy and customer service is so helpful.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

We currently use USAA for our home insurance and for every home we have every owned over the 52 years we have been married!

Foote Queen Creek, AZ

USAA was very helpful and I was able to do this over the phone. After we were done, they reviewed the insurance I asked for and then gave me options that might make it better for me. They were very helpful and easy to work with.

Msdaisy70 Clarksburg, MD

I’ve been a USAA member for well over 20 years and I’m very happy with their rates Abbas service.

Cassandra Larsen Mesa, AZ

Love Usaa pricing and their options for coverage on all of our items in our home. Billing is a breeze and we have always had a good experience when calling customer service.

Frances Harmatuk Baltimore, MD

USAA is my go to insurance company. Super friendly and convenient to use and file a claim.

Nicholas Genes Los Angeles, CA

I’ve looked through several option for home insurance, USAA had the best rates. Very easy to work with.