Oscar

3.5

Oscar is a new name to the health insurance industry. Founded in 2012, the company values simplicity and communication. Claiming that they grew tired of complicated health plans, Oscar was created to give customers a new, simple way to get health insurance that involves several free perks. The company puts a strong emphasis on technology to cater to customers’ needs and add convenience to health care.

#1 BlueCross BlueShield Logo BlueCross BlueShield ›

6.4

Overall
Score

#2 Humana Logo Humana ›

5.5

Overall
Score

#3 Aetna Logo Aetna ›

4.9

Overall
Score

#8 Oscar Logo Oscar

3.5

Overall
Score

The Good

•  Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

Oscar takes both on- and off-exchange individual plans in all states in which it operates, plus small business plans in New York, New Jersey, and Tenessee. Oscar offers several different plan types: EPOs, HSA-compatible plans, and self-funded options. Oscar does not currently serve Medicaid or Medicare customers.

The perks of EPO plans are that you do not need a referral to see a specialist, and you can use any doctor or hospital within the EPO network. However, EPOs (similar to HMOs) have no benefits for out-of-network facilities, except in emergencies.

There are four kinds of Oscar Plans: Classic plans, Simple plans, Saver plans, and Backup plans. All Oscar Plans have free Doctor on Call telemedicine services, rewards for steps tracking, an Oscar Concierge team, and pre-deductible preventive care benefits.

Oscar Classic plans match the general plan structures of most of the plans you see in the individual insurance market.

Oscar Simple plans are easier to understand because you only have one dollar amount to remember because all covered services are free after you hit your deductible. This is because the deductible is set at the same level as the maximum out of pocket amount. (Note: Care that happens pre-deductible requires a copay, coinsurance, or full payment by consumers.)

Oscar Saver plans are HSA-compatible plans with a low monthly premium and higher dedictible. Members use funds out of their HSA to pay for health care throughout the year.

Oscar Backup plans are a low premium, high deductible option designed for healthier people who was to save on upfront medical costs.

Oscar does not include dental or vision insurance in their plans, except for children under the age of 18.

Member Resources

Members have several resources to glean information from. Before becoming a member, you have access to a free premium quote on Oscar's website or by phone. With this tool, you answer a few questions about yourself (zip code, age, how many people you want to cover) as well as your expected medical needs in the next year, which will help direct you to the most cost-efficient plan. You then are able to see all Oscar's plans, costs (including government subsidies if you qualify), benefits, and recommended options.

Once you pay your first bill, Oscar will send you a welcome kit, which includes your ID card(s), an in-depth look at your free perks and benefits, as well as your Schedule of Benefits and Coverage. It also has a "Health Care Cheat Sheet" to help break down all the details of your plan.

There is also Doctor on Call, which is a telemedicine service that lets members talk to a doctor 24/7 for free over the phone. This service is especially convenient for getting medical advice when you don't want to take a trip to the doctor's office. According to Oscar, 91% of all Doctor on Call visits end in a resolution without the caller needing an in-person doctor visit. In this sense, Oscar delivers on its emphasis on technology to make customers' experience more convenient.

Lastly, Oscar offers a web account and mobile app to its customers. These allow members to search for health professionals covered by Oscar's plans, abook appointments with select providers, and view detailed doctor credential information and reviews to find the one(s) best suited to handle their specific needs. Members can call or message their Concierge team by simply clicking a button within the app. This app also provides members with a "Health Timeline", which contains their personal medical information and history such as appointments, prescriptions, lab results, and billing information.

Unique Features

Oscar has unqiue features that vary from other competitors. One of these is the fast registration process. Because the company prides themselves on simplicity, they've taken a lot of steps to remove the complication from health plans, registrations processes, customer service, and more.

Each member is assigned to a Concierge team and a registered nurse, which allows specialized service to Oscar's customers. They team can assist with finding doctors, booking appointments, coordinating care for complex or chronic medical issues, provide clinical guidance, and resolve billing or reimbusement issues.

Instead of casting a wide net and contracting with every health care provider, Oscar has developed a curated network of medical groups and doctors in each of its service areas, esuring a tighter integration and higher quality outcome for members. Additionally, they use data science and complex modeling to assess network coverage, provider quality, and service volume to improve their offerings.

Oscar also provides rewards to customers who reach their step goals. Customers track their steps using the health apps that come with iPhones and Androids. When they reach their daily step goals, they can receive up to $100 in Amazon gift cards per year.

Oscar provides phone support from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday local time in each of its markets, and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on weekends. When you call or secure message Oscar you are connected to a Concierge team. This unique model provides customers with additional support. Each Concierge team consists of a care guides and a registered nurse.

In addition, due to the nurse's experience on the team, they can also handle clinical questions, including assessing a member's needs and connecting them with the proper type of doctor to address their needs. Concierge teams proactively reach out to members if they visit the ER or hospital unexpectedly to make sure they are okay and that they have done all the follow ups the doctors requested. Because they're familiar with you and use Oscar's powerful backend systems to see your history instantaneously, there is never a need to be passed off to another department.

The Bad

• Location
  • No Dental or Vision Insurance
  • Limited Plan Types

Location

Oscar health plans are only available to customers in New York, New Jersey, California, Texas, Ohio, and Tennessee. Small businesses may also be eligible for Oscar coverage in Tennessee, New Jersey, and New York.

No Dental or Vision Insurance

Oscar health plans don't include dental or vision coverage, except for children under the age of 18. A lot of competing insurance providers do include dental and vision options.

Limited Plan Types

All of Oscar's plans are EPO-based (Exclusive Provider Organizations), although they have different plan types available to small businesses offering out-of-area benefits. They don't work with customers on Medicare or Medicaid, and as a member, you must get health care, prescriptions, and medical supplies from providers who take Oscar plans. This might mean you don't need a referral for a specialist, but it also means you have no out-of-network benefits, except for emergency situations or if you sign up for out-of-area coverage as a small group customer.

The Bottom Line

Oscar provides a wide array of member tools and support options. Their mobile app and Concierge Teams offer customers abundant and easily accessible customer service.

Oscar has its advantages, but overall it's not a recommended health insurance company. Oscar has been in business for a short amount of time in, especially compared to other insurance providers, and only offers limited types of health plans. They are not an option for customers on Medicare or Medicaid. What's more, this company is only available in a handful of states; customers should check availability in their state before considering Oscar.

For customers in these states, however, this company is a good option with reasonable rates. They provide a few different customer service contacts, a fast registration process, and a certain number of free services with every health plan.

1.4

Marina Gibbons

December 6th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

My husband and I were nervous about going with such a young Insurance but it was the best thing we did. It really is great. The options for Drs is great and the claim process is simple and clear. Not to mention the dedicated Customer Service. We even get amazon $ for steps. Highly recommend.

Sharon Solomon

November 29th, 2017 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

Kristin A. is a very awesome nurse she answered all my questions and goes above and beyond to get everything my mother need. Thank you for all you do.

SS

November 18th, 2017 Helotes, TX DETAILS

This plan was AWFUL! They covered absolutely nothing but tried to force you to use teledoctors for EVERYTHING or else they wouldn't cover it. Such a waste of money for a young healthy individual. I literally saw thousands of dollars in a year being wasted on this POS insurance company that spends a majority of their dollars on marketing, web design and advertising. No real substance to this plan.....stay FAR FAR away! Also super difficult and tedious to cancel with them.

Jay

November 14th, 2017 Canyon Country, CA DETAILS

I have had Oscar since July this year. I have been to the doctor many times and had prescriptions filled all with no problem at all. One of the reasons I signed up with Oscar is that my doctor was in network and not with any other individual plans being offered. Plus the premium was less than the other options. Oh by the way, I am also an insurance agent and there are going to be issues with all companies but so far with Oscar I am please.

JH

November 10th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS

Great customer service ... this is my first time getting insurance after college. Oscar is the most affordable plan anyone can afford. I've spent over 3 months searching for a plan. Oscar is a new medical insurance plan and not much PCP will accept it but the team is very helpful in finding you a PCP that can assist you. The simple plan is only $170 per month which is SOO much cheaper than any plan I've seen after college. Whether you are making $100k per year or $20k per year, if you are under the age of 29, you can enroll into the simple plan at Oscar. I'm so thankful that NY has a plan for young individuals that doesn't need to go to the doctors often. I go to the doctors once a year for annual check up and the simple plan offers 3 FREE visits to your pcp. Great plan, great idea, and very affordable.

Kristen Bacorn

November 2nd, 2017 DETAILS

Oscar has huge deductibles and tons of red tape. They are inefficient and impossible to deal with and cover virtually nothing. Worst of all, they promise member benefits like bonuses for health clubs or exercise, but do EVERYTHING in their power to find excuses, loopholes, exceptions and sometimes, in my experience, outright lies so they can avoid ever giving those benefits. I started out liking them, but they have worked hard to earn my utter contempt.

Bruce Thomas

September 28th, 2017 Richardson, TX

After my Oscar insurance was denied at a Tom Thumb last year for a flu shot (which is supposed to be an Oscar network pharmacy), I was very curious to see if that was a one-time glitch (a flu shot after all is a ACA government mandated benefit), or Oscar's usual practice. In late August, after providers and insurers were heavily advertising "free flu shots," I took my Oscar insurance card to a local Walmart for a shot. Nope; not even enough info on the card to process a claim, I was told. Then I took my card to Tom Thumb. Similar response; not enough info on the card to process a claim. But this very helpful pharmacist offered to call Oscar. After a considerable time on hold and then talking to an Oscar rep, she tells me that the rep said that Oscar would pay for the vaccine, but not for the administration of the shot. But the rep couldn't explain how she was to break that out; she would need to call back Monday she said. Obviously that was bad information, so then I went online. Yep, the Oscar website says flu shots were covered at no additional cost. So I asked the online "concierge" "what you have to do to get the flu shot. First response - the website is out of date; we stopped paying for flu shots last Spring; sorry you missed the deadline. I protested this ridiculous response, then was told maybe that answer wasn't right after all, but he'd have to get further information to be sure he gave me the right information. (I guess you just make it up the first time?) Most of September goes by and no follow up, while every reputable ACA insurer is busily paying for flu shots all over the country. Obviously I'm just getting the run around from Oscar, so I go ahead and pay for my flu shot at a Walgreen's while in the store for other purposes, and plan on submitting a claim manually. A week or so later, I finally get a follow up from the "concierge" that I can now get a "free flu shot"; just don't go to a Walgreen's! Incredible. All this just to beat me out of a flu shot. I can't imagine what would happen if I actually needed serious medical care. We will definitely switch health insurance carriers next year. Even if we have no choices, I would self-insure and pay a tax penalty before wasting my money on Oscar any further.

Melissa

September 15th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

I entered in my zip code wrong on my credit card so they charged me twice, caused my bank to go into overdraft, wouldn't reverse the charge, then cancelled my coverage (even though I had double paid). Customer service wouldn't do anything to help I called and messaged every day for a week. Terrible product, piss poor collections department, no customer service. Really, really, really bad.

Lucio I.

September 1st, 2017 Hicksville, NY

At first, I was excited to enroll with Oscar. Heard good things about it. Went to my PCP. Got care. Billing's were clear. The concierge team is awesome. I can call them or email them at any time up to 8 pm. They are there for me. Answer all my questions and concerns. And they help me find a provider when I cannot find one. I used to call doctors and ask them if they take my insurance. And most said NO. Oscar is new. And not many providers take it as much as Aetna Cigna Empire, etc. But Oscar has a wonderful team that will direct you to a great provider. Just ask. I just has spinal surgery. And I could not find a surgeon to do it. Oscar concierge team spent days finding me the perfect surgeon. Within days, they sent me a list of surgeons to choose from. And on top of that, a member of the team called me and told me that he would call the surgeon and make the appointment for me while I was on the line. He called the surgeon, who just happened to be part of the Mount Sinai Spinal team. I got the appointment for the next day. At Mt Sinai Spine Center in NYC. To make a long story short, I got a great Spine Center. And Oscar has been there for me every step of the way. Richard O, Brian, Amy and few others on the concierge team are simply awesome. Oscar has done right by me. Deductible is a bit high, but so are the other insurers available to us.

Morris

August 1st, 2017

May doctors are not art of the Oscar Health care. When you search on the web, the doctor is in the list, but when you go to the doctor, he is not accepting the medical provider. Lots of money for no service.

Nicole

July 25th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

With Oscar, I can have a Doctor call me back in 10 mins or less AND they prescribe/refill medication. That's huge for me! And when I do need to see a doctor IRL, I can ping my rep there directly and he finds me the best doctor for me, close to work. I know its pricey but its still cheaper than everyone else and they are totally worth it.

Christine

July 21st, 2017

It's a cute marketing layer for a terrible product. You know you're screwed when you have to travel to the outskirts of NYC to get care, only for the front desk to tell you to shell out $200 for a 10 minute exam. $485 a month for a plan with a $7,000+ deductible? Please. I don't care if the design is on Dribbble, or the registration process is seamless, I don't ever want to use Oscar again. And yeah, the phone-a-doctor feature comes in handy when you realize it'll cost half an unemployment check for a doctor to "prescribe" Sudafed. Bye Felicia Oscar, hello Aetna PPO ✌?

Jim Schoen

July 7th, 2017 Pomona, CA

Back Surgery – starting June 16, 2017 – Summary – Terrible experience with Oscar Healthcare and with LCOM Hospital • Urgent, Life Threatening condition – went to nearest Emergency Room (Little Company of Mary LCOM Torrance) via 911 call & ambulance o Oscar In Network Hospital ER misdiagnosed, did not follow up, forced early discharge • Week following discharge o Condition dramatically deteriorated during week following disc  Pain intensified  Arms partially paralyzed o Oscar could not provide an available in network specialist, refused to approve out of network  I called many of their in network providers – one was not a Physician, many were not taking new patients, all required extra processing time for patients like me with prior surgery, none had available appt this week as required for pain, paralysis and rapid degradation of condition o Oscar recommended going back to the original ER who when contacted said they would handle the same way  Severe concern over going to unknown ER and not having a chance to review/approve qualifications of Physician doing critical, life risk neck surgery  Had already had surgery with highly qualified Dr. Melamed two years prior o Condition degraded to a point where emergency treatment absolutely necessary • After paralysis set in, went to nearest known ER with a known qualified physician – Dr. Melamed o ER did immediate MRI – showed severe herniated disc in contrast to misdiagnosis of LCOM ER of cervical strain o Had emergency cervical spinal fusion surgery with physician on staff at ER – physician and ER were out of network • Immediately following surgery (Mon, June 26), informed Oscar of surgery and asked their support in post op recovery • Informed Oscar in advance of • Oscar called July 6 en route to post surgical check and informed me that this and further visits would not be covered o I was forced to pay for the MRI $550 o Yet Oscar in network surgeons have no immediate availability (at same time, they surfaced a new in network Dr. with availability on July 13 – does not fit my recovery or work schedule) • Oscar refused to approve Physical Therapy in a reasonable amount of time – took one week • Oscar's in network Physical Therapy limited to one business within 13 miles – have no availability for 12 days – arm is partially atrophy paralyzed – need rapid treatment • Conclusion o Oscar is a fraudulent health insurer that intentionally limits the size and availability of their in network physicians and intentionally has a long approval process to prevent their customers from getting necessary health care and seriously risking the health of their customers in order to control the cost to Oscar.

Jon

June 30th, 2017 New York, NY

Hands down the best experience I've ever had with health insurance. Oscar's app helped me find a primary care doctor near to me who was accepting new patients - and I even booked an appointment directly with them. I've used their free telemedicine service a few times, which has calmed my nerves and saved me trips to the doctor's office. And I LOVE my Concierge team - they've been super helpful whenever I've had questions. Couldn't recommend Oscar highly enough!

Dana K.

June 30th, 2017

I love the personal and dedicated customer service and advice I get from my concierge. The app is also super easy to use!

aaron h

May 12th, 2017 Rowlett, TX

Oscar is a complete rip off. they claim you get 1 free visit a year but really don't specify (but I am sure in small print somewhere) that that 1 free visit is only for a physical and/or lab work. me & my husband paid $700/month - neither went to the dr ever - and the 1 time my husband goes for a sinus infection, Oscar doesn't cover it and we get billed. I call them and they say they don't cover 1 free visit a year if you are sick. are you kidding me!?! so people, just an fyi - if you get a cold or something, you don't get any coverage. I would drop the insurance if you are a well person since you shouldn't be taxed for not carrying it now...

Ken Blackwell

March 24th, 2017

Absolutely the worst Health Care Provider in the US. Period. We've had nothing but issues. Their customer service is the worst part. Let me just say this. I enrolled, paid and was waiting for service to kick in for a month. A month after I enrolled and paid I was not in the system. Every time I called it took hours...literally hours and multiple calls to get to a human. They lied about dental coverage and then called my wife & I liars. Oh yeah, literally called us liars. Rude worthless people that make excuses at every turn, yet some how it always ends up our fault there was an issue. By the way, all this BS and we have yet to file a claim. 4 months in and still the worst experience I've had to date. Not just with health care. In general!!!!!

Thursday Farrar

February 24th, 2017

Since Oscar narrowed it's service in NYC and dropped out of the New York Insurance Market Place I had to leave Oscar immediately in 2017. I liked the customer service I received but none of the medical centers, hospitals and doctors keep Oscar as a viable insurer. Oscar's answer was to open a clinic in Brooklyn. Seriously. Not an option for me. I'd have to start all over again with a new doctor. Not to mention that more than six months later I am receiving bills for copays that Oscar won't cover. Glad I'm done with them.

K

February 18th, 2017 New York, NY

Oscar is hands down the absolute worst Health Insurance company I have ever had in my life. They lost the same claim I had to repeatedly send to them on 3 different occasions. I honestly believe their claims department does not even exist. I believe this company to be a total scam. The only time you hear from them is when they want their monthly bill. After you pay them your monthly premium they disappear. Seriously this company is a scam and a front and should be investigated for fraud.

Dissatisfied Potential Costumer

January 12th, 2017

I would like to send my gratitude to the rude repesentativewho hange up the phone on me when I said I was not available to talk because i was eating lunch. Ended up not getting your service because of that and I hope you reprimand your staff to be more courteous to people. Potential costumer lost here. Well done!

Dissatisfied Potential Costumer

January 12th, 2017

Concerned customer

January 11th, 2017

Worst experience today with a representative who was a poor listener and made good of his threat to hang up the phone on me ,I wonder if these calls are really recorded . That was an awful customer experience!

S Deerfield

December 15th, 2016

I have used Oscar for the past year. It has been the BEST insurance company I have used. Everything is set up very efficiently--from the website to the claims procedures. My favorite part of Oscar is their "doctor on call" service. I have periodic eczema and rather than paying $150 for a doctor visit to get the same ointment prescription I always get, I could call Oscar and get the prescription renewal. It is savings for the insurance company and for me. Thank you, Oscar, for common-sense insurance!

Tim B

December 15th, 2016 Newark, NJ

I have a Family of 4 and unfortunately have Oscar Gold. Truly the worst Health insurance company. Premiums continue to skyrocket -currently paying 1500.00 a month. Premiums increased 60% in 1 year - deductibles to meet for the year 2016 are up to $6000.00. We recently received notice that they are cutting their network back. I have all but one doctor remaining in the Oscar network. Some of my doctors I have been with for 20+ years. They sent us a letter last month Stating our current plan will no longer be avaiible for 2017. The new plan that we will have to get will have a yearly deductible of 8,000 and still do not know what the premium will be! This month they sent me a fantastic letter stating that on December 31,2016 I will not be eligible for New York State exchange insurance. To top all of this off. My wife was just diagnosed with aggresive cancer that is affecting the an organ now. I am currently seating in the out patient area of the hospital trying to get a port placement for her chemo treatment. This is something that was suppose to be preformed 3days ago. I arrived at the hospital at 6am Thursday and the nurses started to prep her for surgery, so she can receive her first treatment of chemo. At 6:30am the nurse has made me aware that they have nto recieved confirmation from the Insurance company still. They tell me they have to stop until they get in touch with Oscar insurance and they do not open till 8am. The good news is that I did submit an application for expensive insurance carrier which has extremely great coverage. I will struggle to pay the premiums, but how can I put a price on my wife's care !!!! This is a true event!!

M Mills

December 11th, 2016

I was with Oscar for one year, this was a great and simple insurance company to work with. Loved the dedicated customer service team, they were very easy to contact, follow-up was great, and they were easy to use and provided great coverage. The biggest challenge was during the first half of the year having to spend a lot of time convincing healthcare providers and hospitals that Oscar was a real health insurance company. Oscar poorly communicated its entrance to the Dallas Texas market when it entered in January 2016. I was very disappointed that Oscar decided to leave Dallas after spending only six months of that first year in Dallas. This demonstrated very poor strategic and operational planning on their part. Given, that Oscar was a startup insurance company and took some losses during its first year, this was a major disruption for customers, medical providers and others. As much as I liked Oscar, I am reluctant to go back to them in the future given that they are so unstable and pulled out so quickly. I would not want to risk having to change my physicians and care givers again in such a short time. Although they were a good insurance company and was beginning to provide excellent service, they cost me a lot of unnecessary disruption during a critical time in my life including destroying critical relationships with some excellent healthcare providers due to the short coming and going and need to find providers in new networks. This was very painful and I felt abused. Oscar has lost my support and made me reluctant to support future new healthcare insurance company startups. M. Mills. Dallas, TX

Iman Saleh

December 10th, 2016

I went to one gyno visit for an annual checkup after being with Oscar for over a year, and they already are trying to scam me by making me pay for what was supposed to be a free annual checkup. I did everything right, picked one of their network doctors, and yet now I'm stuck in this red tape hell and the issue is not resolved, the doctor claiming Oscar won't pay for the HPV preventative test (which I didn't even ask for, but is supposedly routine) while Oscar claims in does pay for it, but that the doctor did not enter it as a preventative HPV test. The doctor said yes I entered it as preventative, and insisted on a three-way call. Finally after hours of getting passed around the Oscar people said oh gosh actually yeah looks like it was listed as preventative--AND YET IT'S STILL NOT OVER. They have to have a committee decide or something. It's an issue of $124 for something I was promised would be free. I've paid this company over $5,000 at this point, am healthy with no issues, went to one checkup and they're fighting me over $124.

Jim

December 6th, 2016 New York, NY

I have had Oscar for a year and was satisfied until July when my doctor dropped out of a group and Oscar refused to admit him to their network. So, I must pay $100 to see my family doctor, which is something I can live with. However, Oscar is dropping the entire NYU Network at the end of 2016 and they dropped the Cornell-NY Hospital network in March 2016 so I am reluctant to stay with Oscar as they may drop more doctors and hospitals during the year 2017 - they can drop providers but once one is committed to them, the subscriber is married to Oscar for an entire year - not fair. Their customer service gives me bulls**t every time that they are forming their own network but I wonder if Oscar will even last the entire 2017 year a smaller and smaller networks will eventually lead to going out of business. Therefore, if I stay with them in 2017, it will not be for a platinum plan but may just take a gold plan as I don't really know too much about the other companies. But right now, I am investigating all and every option out there for me in the NY area. I feel that by cutting their network options in more than half, Oscar is telling its subscribers to go to h*ll.

Ric

December 1st, 2016 La Quinta, CA

Affiliation with UCLA Healthcare provides access to esteemed professionals and renowned full-spectrum services, for whole body Wellness. Top-5 Network, urgent care coverage, seamless billing, non-referral, Wearable incentive, "24/7 Doctor on Call"; a no-brainer.

tim

November 28th, 2016 New York, NY

I was refused a walk-in at their 408 jay st facility and they advertise walk-ins.. waste of time........

Peter Lorre

November 24th, 2016 Spring Valley, NY

A startup designed to profiteer off of the affordable care act. Bumped me from the catastrophic plan, as I turned 30, resulting in a 333% increase in premiums and an increase of 300$ in deducible. If that wasn't obscene enough they're slashing their network for 2017 as well as hiking premiums and deductibles across the board. They flood the subways with colorful cartoon advertisements in an attempt to snare as many people as possible and then provide virtually no coverage whatsoever, Maybe they could reallocate some of their advertising budget into providing a decent service. American medicine is a grotesque show of human greed and indecency and Oscar is the perfect posterchild.

Aphra Behn

October 31st, 2016

Oscar dropped NYU at the end of 2016. I am in rehab at NYU and they refused to let me finish my treatment set for January 20, 2017. They do not care about your health.

linda posillico

October 14th, 2016 Albertson, NY

I've had a very good experience with Oscar but nervous now because 3 doctors have dropped Oscar and I'm having a hard time finding new doctors who take the insurance...its making me uneasy now. I went to a specialist in Oscars plan but then I got a bill for over $700. from Oscar. They (Oscar) said "one of the doctors 3 office locations was not medically covered" yes, I said "the doctors location of his office" and I should have know that info prior to seeing the doctor.,,in other words, if I saw the doctor at one of the other 3 locations, I would be covered...crazy! The specialist dropped Oscar and released me of any responsibility of payment and ate the loss...isn't that a shame that Oscar stiffed the specialist and me as well because I would have had to pay that bill.

HEATH LEDGER

October 10th, 2016

AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE...REPRESENTATIVE ARE POLITE AND HELPFUL...

Liz

October 5th, 2016 New York, NY

Oscar used to be ok, now totally horrendous. Horrible and useless customer service, things that are covered on paper, aren't necessarily covered in practice, and now the network of providers has shrunk drastically, so finding a decent doctor who would take this insurance is mission impossible type of thing. AND their rates have just gone up too. So, all in all, they don't want to pay, they don't want to help, they don't care if you have any healthcare-related issues. The only convenient thing is the app, which doesn't work that flawlessly, especially the steps program... they just sync as many steps as THEY would prefer, so even if you did walk over 10,000, the app might just show 9,000 or something, so you don't get your dollar. Wouldn't recommend this health insurance, as it is expensive, offers small network, has really bad customer service and won't cover pretty much anything.

Debbie Christine Tjong

September 21st, 2016 Astoria, NY

This is the worst health insurance company I've had to deal with. My doctor left the network in the middle of the year, but I had to have follow up appointment with him. I applied for a Continuation of Services and was approved on June 20th 2016. Upon receiving this information by phone (both my provider and I), we proceed to schedule an appointment for July 5th. Shortly after, we received a letter saying that the Continuation of Services expires on June 30th 2016. What were we suppose to do with such a short amount of time? My provider and I both called it to ask about this because it seemed like a mistake, and they said that they would issue another letter to extend the dates to cover the appointment on July 5th since that was made AFTER we received the approval. THAT NEVER HAPPENED. It also mysteriously disappeared from the notes they had on file. After the July 5th appointment, my doctor told me I have to have surgery on my throat and we again tried to extend continuation of services. this time it was denied. My only solution now is to wait till next year when I switch insurance. I can't work, because I cannot use my voice and I need surgery to be able to use it. Now I'm stuck with a bill of $1783 for the doctor's appointment made on July 5th because Oscar would not cover it, stating that the Continuation of services only last 3 months from when the doctor's left the network. That is ridiculous.I applied for the continuation of service beginning of June, and did not get approval till late june, and it expires end of June??! That does not make any sense. It seems that Oscar is just trying to wiggle their way out of paying for bills. My provider only made the appointment for me because we got the call that the continuation of services was approved. I'm at a loss of what to do now because I cannot receive health care i need, and I'm stuck with this bill. DO NOT GO WITH OSCAR. When it really counts, they do not help. I've spoke today with Margery from member's services who, aside from reading back the notes on file to me, could not help me, could not direct me to Jennifer, with whom I've spoken with before, could not transfer me to a supervisor, and seemed offended when I tried to ask her for her name. No empathy, no help at all. I feel bad for everyone who's sick and needs healthcare and have to deal with people and a company that don't care about the health of their members first.

Jack Dukati

September 21st, 2016 Venice, CA

Customer service only exists when they want to bill you -- when it comes time to pay, they DISAPPEAR. Where is Elizabeth Warren for this one???

Cristina Grever McAllen

September 20th, 2016 Parker, CO

Absolute worst insurance company! If youi live in Texas and considering Oscar, DON'T!!!! I have never felt the need to write a review about anything until now. Too much to complain about. Bottom line…cheap monthly premiums = bad health insurance. There is a reason why very few health care providers in San Antonio, Tx are not contracted with Oscar and refuse to accept their services.

Christine Kessler Pierce

September 9th, 2016 San Antonio, TX

Signed up for Oscar Gold plan due to need of medical equipment. Trying to order a wheelchair since January 2016 and STILL getting the run around. They've been caught in lies blaming everyone else for the delay. They don't pay for most medications, including my son's inhaler or any kind of inhaler. They call it an uncovered script that is out of network and all inhalers are out of network - so if you have asthma DON'T CHOOSE OSCAR!! My Dr. said he is having the same issue with his other patients who have this insurance. THEY DON'T HELP THE OSCAR MEMBER - THEY ONLY TAKE YOUR MONEY, LIKE MY $712 A MONTH. SHAME ON THEM. OSCAR IS A RIP OFF COMPANY IN MY OPINION - However, they did pay for my 24 hour hospital stay for a minor procedure after I paid the first $3,000 so I will rate them a 3. I am very disappointed with Oscar - more because their phone/email assistants have "canned responses" to why they are dragging their feet on getting my son his wheelchair. Their delay is physically hurting my son. I'm thinking of seeking an attorney for the irreversible damage they are causing my son to incur.

Emilie

September 7th, 2016 Ladera Ranch, CA

I was initially sold on Oscar due to their marketing towards millennials and claims to be different than other health insurance companies. However, from the first day that my insurance plan with Oscar went into effect, I realized that they are all smoke and mirrors. It took me hours of calling providers listed on their website as "in-network" to find a doctor that actually took Oscar insurance. Finally, after finding a doctor that took Oscar, there were issues with figuring out which services were covered. Literally every single time I have contacted the customer service phone number, I have received complete misinformation from customer service representatives. They are clueless about everything. I am currently pregnant and after contacting Oscar representatives I was specifically told where to order a breast pump from, and when I went to place the order, the company said they don't work with Oscar!! Of course this was frustrating, but imagine my frustration, when, 7 months pregnant... And now the SECOND company Oscar reps told me to order from also denied me for a breast pump saying they are not contracted through Oscar! The severe lack of communication across the board, from educating physicians offices they are listing as in-network to providers of government mandated medical supplies to communication with customers... Oscar should be embarrassed of themselves for how horrible their service is.

Meagan Brus

August 15th, 2016 Astoria, NY

They seem to lose information often and take FOREVER to process claims (still waiting for mine almost 5 months later, while receiving collection demands from the provider). Dollar amounts owed change at random. Nothing is made clear on plan documents or when calling customer service. Terrible.