Oscar

Key Details

• Ability to Connect with a Doctor 24/7
  • No Referrals
  • Access to Dedicated Nurse and Care Guides

Summary

Founded by Mario Schlosser, Joshua Kushner, and Kevin Nazemi, Oscar is a newer name among health insurance providers. It has grown from its initial startup since its founding in 2012. The company values simplicity and communication, so it seeks to simplify policies in order to better cover the needs of its clients.

With Oscar, customers can find plans with health savings accounts (HSAs) and traditional health insurance plans for individuals and families. Oscar also offers Medicare. Oscar does not offer dental or vision coverage.

View Oscar Reviews

Oscar Health Insurance was created to give customers a new, simple way to get health insurance and affordable care. Its plans include perks for things like reaching a fitness goal.

Oscar puts a strong emphasis on technology to cater to customers’ needs and add convenience to health care.

Another distinguishing feature of Oscar insurance is its Concierge team. Each team includes a registered nurse and a care guide who are available to assist you in finding network providers and answer basic health questions.

Open Enrollment for 2021 health care plans runs November 1, 2020-December 15, 2020. If you missed the open enrollment period, check to see if you qualify for a special enrollment period.

Deseret Mutual Logo
#2 Deseret Mutual chevron_right
UnitedHealthcare Logo
#4 UnitedHealthcare chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Plan Options Offered
  • Easy Quotes and Plan Comparison
  • Helpful Welcome Kit
  • Web Account and Mobile App
  • Unique Features
  • Helpful Concierge Team
  • Telemedicine Access

Positive Customer Reviews

Oscar has received many positive customer reviews on BestCompany.com. Reviewers frequently praise Oscar for its concierge team, customer support, and telemedicine access.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Penny Altman from Van Nuys, California

"Oscar has always been there when I needed them. Their concierge team has answered all of my questions and they're always available. They pay their claims without any problems. Good network of doctors available. Overall, I have been very happy with Oscar compared to other insurance companies I have had in the past."

Plan Options Offered

The insurance provider tries to ensure that each Oscar customer finds an easy health care plan to suit their individual needs. Oscar offers both on- and off-exchange individual plans in all states in which it operates, plus small business plans in New York, New Jersey, and Tennessee.

Under the Affordable Care Act on- and off-exchange plans must cover essential health benefits, like primary care, hospital stays, and mental health services. (The health insurance exchange is a government-created marketplace, also called the health insurance marketplace.)

Oscar's coverage options include: Health Savings Account (HSA)-compatible plans and self-funded options.

From the company's website, it's unclear what kinds of networks Oscar's plan options include. It's common for health insurers to offer plans with in- or out-of-network coverage.

For example, Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) plans only cover in-network care, except in emergencies. Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans cover in-network care and out-of-network care. Even though a PPO plan offers more flexibility with providers than an HMO plan, your out-of-pocket costs will typically be higher if you see an out-of-network provider than for seeing an in-network provider with a PPO network plan.

Oscar also offers Medicare Advantage plans. It does not offer Medicaid services.

Oscar offers three plan options:

• Classic Plans
  • Simple Plans
  • Saver Plans

These plans are also organized using the metal tier system created by the Affordable Care Act. Depending on your area, each Oscar insurance product can be a bronze, silver, gold, or platinum plan.

A bronze plan puts the most cost-sharing on policyholders and tend to have a lower monthly premium, while platinum plans put the least and tend to have a higher premium.

All Oscar Plans have free Doctor-on-Call telemedicine services, rewards for steps tracking, an Oscar Concierge team, and pre-deductible preventive care benefits to keep out-of-pocket costs to a minimum for both specialty and brand-name drugs.

Coverage for telemedicine is a rising trend in health insurance, so this offering makes Oscar a competitive insurance provider.

Oscar Classic plans generally match the policy and structures of most of the plans on the individual insurance market.

However, Oscar Simple plans are easier to understand, because clients only have one dollar amount to remember: all covered services are free after clients hit their deductible. This is because the deductible for an Oscar Simple plan is set at the same level as the maximum out-of-pocket amount. (Note: Care that happens before the deductible is met requires a copay, coinsurance, or full payment by consumers.)

Some Oscar Saver plans are HSA-compatible plans with low monthly premiums and a higher deductible. Members use the money in their HSA to pay for health care throughout the year.

Oscar Backup and Secure plans are a low premium, high deductible option designed for healthier people who was to save on upfront medical expenses.

Easy Quotes and Plan Comparison

Before becoming a member, potential clients can receive quotes on premiums from Oscar's website or by phone. With this tool, a customer can answer a few general questions about themself (zip code, age, how many people they want to cover) as well as about their expected medical needs in the next year. Through this brief process, Oscar can direct clients to the most cost-efficient health plan with the person's health in mind.

Individuals are then able to see all of Oscar insurance plans, costs (deductibles, copays, out-of-pocket maximums, and health insurance premiums, including government subsidies if you qualify), benefits, and recommended options to help decrease out-of-pocket costs.

Helpful Welcome Kit

After Oscar members pay the first premium, they receive a welcome kit, which includes the client's ID card(s), an in-depth look at the free perks and benefits, as well as the individual's Schedule of Benefits and Coverage. This welcome kit also has a "Health Care Cheat Sheet" to help break down all the details of the chosen insurance coverage within the individuals' plan.

Web Account and Mobile App

Lastly, Oscar offers a web account and mobile app to its customers. The online account and health insurance app allow users to search for health professionals covered by Oscar's plans, book appointments with healthcare providers, and view detailed doctor credential information and reviews to find the one(s) best suited to handle their specific needs. The Oscar app makes the features of the member portal more convenient to access on the go.

Members can call or message their Concierge team by simply clicking a button within the app. This app also provides members with a "Health Timeline", which contains their personal medical information and history such as appointments, prescriptions, lab results, and billing information.

Unique Features

Oscar has unique features that many other competing health insurance companies do not. One of these is the fast registration process. Because the company emphasizes simplicity, Oscar has taken many steps to remove the complication of choosing a health insurance plan and registering. It also seeks simplicity by providing efficient customer service, clarifying information on health insurance policy and potential medical expenses, and more.

Furthermore, instead of casting a wide net and contracting with every health care provider, Oscar has developed a curated network of medical groups and doctors in each of its service areas to ensure tighter integration and higher quality health insurance policy for members. Additionally, they use data science and complex modeling to assess network coverage, provider quality, and service volume to improve their offerings.

Oscar also provides rewards to customers who reach their step goals. Customers track their steps using the health apps that come with iPhones and Androids. When they reach their daily step goals, they can receive up to $240 per year.

Helpful Concierge Team

Oscar provides excellent customer support. They provide phone support from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday local time in each of its markets, and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on weekends. When clients call or secure message Oscar, you are connected to a Concierge team. Each Concierge team consists of a care guide and a registered nurse. This unique model provides customers with additional support.

In addition, due to the nurse's experience on the team, they can also handle clinical questions, including assessing a member's needs and connecting them with the proper type of doctor to address their needs. This assistance with scheduling appointments, finding a doctor, and care coordination are benefits of working with Oscar.

Concierge teams proactively reach out to members if they visit the ER or hospital unexpectedly to make sure they are okay and that they have done all the follow-ups the doctors requested.

Because they're familiar with you and use Oscar's powerful backend systems to see your history instantaneously, there is never a need to be passed off to another department.

The access to a concierge team to help you navigate your health plan and receive the care you need makes Oscar stand out as an insurance carrier. Other insurers offer similar case management services to members who meet eligibility criteria.

Telemedicine Access

Oscar also provides what they call Doctor-on-Call, a telemedicine service that lets members talk to a doctor 24/7 for free over the phone. This service is especially convenient for getting medical advice when you don't want to take a trip to the doctor's office.

The Bad

• Negative Customer Reviews
  • Limited Availability
  • No Dental or Vision Insurance
  • Limited Plan Types

Negative Customer Reviews

While a majority of Oscar's reviews are positive, it has also recieved a high percentage of 1-star reviews. Negative reviews are common for the health insurance industry. 1-star reviews mention difficulties with communication, finding an in-network doctor in the area, scheduling appointments, and billing issues. These issues are concerning, and Oscar is responsive to these reviews.

As you consider working with Oscar, pay attention to where reviewers are from. If reviewers in your area have good experiences, that's an indicator Oscar may be a good fit. If reviewers in your area are mostly negative, you may decide to work with another company.

Limited Availability

Oscar health insurance plans are only available to customers in some parts of the United States, including New York, New Jersey, California, Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Arizona, and Tennessee. Small businesses may also be eligible for Oscar coverage in California, Tennessee, New Jersey, and New York. To check availability, input your zip code on Oscar's website to see the plans available to you.

No Dental or Vision Insurance

Oscar health plans don't include dental or vision coverage, except for children under the age of 18. Many competing insurance providers do include dental and vision options.

Limited Plan Types

Oscar doesn't work with customers on Medicaid. Depending on your plan, you may get health care, prescriptions, and medical supplies from providers who take Oscar plans. This might mean you don't need a referral for a specialist, but it may also mean that you have no out-of-network benefits, except for emergency situations or if you sign up for out-of-area coverage as a small group customer. Be sure to understand how your health coverage works when looking for health care providers.

Oscar insurance customers should also make sure they understand the terms of their health care plan. They should understand under what circumstances they need prior authorization and what kind of coverage is available for pre-existing conditions.

The Bottom Line

Finding affordable health insurance and a trustworthy insurer is an important step for finding affordable care. There are plenty of plans and health insurers to choose from. How good is Oscar health insurance?

While Oscar is a newer health insurance company, its plan offerings and simple process make its health insurance plans worth considering. If Oscar has a good network and a plan that meets your health and budgetary needs, it's a good option. Pay attention to what reviews from customers in your area say about Oscar.

Be sure to understand how a plan's network and coverage work before enrolling. If Oscar doesn't offer the kind of network plan you're looking for, you may need to consider another insurance company.

Because Oscar does not offer Medicaid, those seeking a Medicaid insurance policy should also find another health insurer.

Oscar offers a wide array of member tools and support options. Its mobile app and Concierge Teams offer customers abundant and easily accessible customer service.

For customers in the available states who are looking for these types of plans, however, an Oscar health plan is a fantastic option. Oscar boasts reasonable rates, several customer service contacts, a fast enrollment process, and offers free services with every health insurance plan.

View Best Health Insurance Companies

3.2

Mike Fratianni Spring Hill, FL

Absolute best plan I've ever had. Yeah my out of pocket was a bit high but premiums and co-pays were manageable. Once my out of pocket was reached for my wife, Oscar picked it up 100%. Wife is getting a transplant so you can imagine what the costs are .. will re-new next year. Also, every Oscar employee I spoke to (and there were many) was outstanding . Wonderful company. ( Florida)

Sarah Santa Ana, CA

I work as an office manager for a mental health Provider. I have been dealing with the insurance companies directly for several years on behalf of our patients and of course for personal reasons as well. Needless to say, some of the things I come across are frustrating, time consuming with no positive outcome. To me an insurance company is this big Giant from a Sci-fi movie deciding our health care- whether we deserve that particular test or not and so on. The reimbursement for the doctors is quite low that it amazes me how little an insurance company values their hard work. I came across Oscar and didn't expect much- Frankly I got it because it was the only premium I could afford. However, Oscar had a pleasant surprise in store for me. I love the fact I can pick any doctor in the network (and there are hundreds to choose from) for any specialty. I don't need my Primary Doctor's approval to go to another specialist for consultation or treatment nor do I need an authorisation from Oscar. I have the freedom to navigate on my own without the Giant frowning upon me and creating hurdles in getting the help I need. In short, I am not stressed out over getting checkups as I used to be, nor do I procrastinate in seeing a doctor. Oscar has an excellent customer service - whenever I call, I don’t hear the useless music going on and on endlessly- On the other end the people they hire can actually speak English (unlike some of previous experiences with other companies). I created my account on Oscar’s web site and I just love it. I can send a message to the Care Team with any questions I may have regarding claims or finding a doctor, and someone gets back to me in a very short time guiding me in the right direction. It is like they do my homework for me instead of me spending hours on the internet searching. Yes, I am very pleased with Oscar, and I hope they do not change over time. I also hope they reward the doctors who signed up with them with good reimbursement rates for their services. (Besides, it saves me from embarrassment when I hand over my insurance card to the front desk!!). In summary, so far, I find Oscar's team caring, efficient, reliable where everything runs smoothly for me.

Reply from Oscar

Thanks for the love, Sarah! Don't hesitate to reach out if there's ever anything we can do to help.

Ivan gomez Homestead, FL

Complete garbage. I called to have my insulin refilled before it was due because I lost my pen during the process of moving and I spoke to a person in the Phillipines with a rooster yelling in the background. She couldn’t transfer me to a supervisor. A complete joke of a company. STAY AWAY!

adam katz Scottsdale, AZ

I honestly do not think they have covered anything since I’ve had them. The premiums were a little less expensive, but there’s not a doctor or dentist that I go to for which they will provide coverage. Coverage on my 2 medications is not available and one of them is for a congenital disease. I cannot find a doctor that they provide coverage for. I’ll be switching come open enrollment.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Adam, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Sep. 13th, 2022

Cathy Dore Los Angeles, CA

I would give no stars. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 7/28. Referred to a doctor. 8/3 they approved and confirmed coverage for doctor and hospital. Had the consultation and Scheduled surgery 8/10. On 8/11 was called and told it was mistake they should not have approved coverage. Have been in a health insurance nightmare with them since. Calling, on hold, attempting to communicate via their portal. They have been incompetent and negligent. I still have no doctor, no hospital and no surgery. They don’t return calls. They don’t help. I have paid $650-750 monthly for years and now they have made a mess and induced high stress. What is supposed to be a lumpectomy may be. Mastectomy by the time they approve a doctor for me to see. And it was their mistake to begin with! It is outrageous. I’m now seeking legal counsel on what to do.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Cathy, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Aug. 17th, 2022

Colby S Brooklyn, NY

Oscar is already overcharging me for insurance, it's outrageous that they might raise my premium further. They have failed me in several ways. - I cannot get regular STD swabs done which are a standard part of care for people taking PrEP. I cannot do this because they no longer have a physical location, which prevents them from collecting or disbursing swabs. Additionally, when I went to see their partner (Quest Diagnostics), I was told that the swabs I did have were not covered. - I then had to seek care outside of Quest, so I went to an urgent care for help getting swabbed, I was charged $75. I should not have to seek out-of-network care because my provider is not doing its job! - I was prescribed ADD medication by my in-network psychiatrist, yet Oscar cannot cover my ADD medication because they're fully remote and they can't cover controlled substances. - The website is difficult to navigate and in order to send my PCP a message, I need to request an appointment. This leads to a delay in care. Whether it's me seeking help with mental health, dealing with a rough COVID infection, or a cold, I often have to wait a few extra days to get a response. This leads to me simply forgoing care. For example, when I had covid a month ago I just took care of myself at home. Oscar is already overpriced, its online services are slow and difficult to use, and its lack of a physical presence hinders its ability to provide proper care. The idea that they might be trying to raise my premium 20.32% is ridiculous. If anything, they should be lowering it.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Colby, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Tom Winter Park, FL

Oscar is the absolute worse health insurance coverage I have ever had. The deductibles and out-of-pocket are high. God help you if you ever have to use the policy -- it only covers 40% of surgery-related costs AFTER meeting $7,000 out-of-pocket costs. This is to say that I pay $18,000 in premiums, yet my wife's knee surgery will cost my family a minimum $8000 out of our pocket, and we have already spent $7000 out-of-pocket. So, that's $33,000 in medical costs this year. Some plan. Why do I even have health insurance? Never again will I use Oscar. Oscar seems like a scam. Sure, the premiums are lower, but the coverages make it exceedingly more expensive if you ever need it. And this is to say nothing of the sparse network of care. God help you if you have a problem out-of-network (unless you are a couch potato), you are very likely to have an issue out-of-network. I had an emergency skiing incident in Utah for which I had to be assisted off the mountain by ski patrol to the base clinic. Oscar would not cover it, and claimed it was not an emergency, so I had to pay in full out-of-pocket. So far, it has taken me 5 months to get them to agree that it was an emergency. Still, they insist on reimbursing the clinic, that I paid in full, rather than me, their customer. So, in summary, any savings in premiums quickly go up in smoke if you ever have to actually use the $18,000 plan coverage. As far as their customer service, I do not understand why they get high reviews for customer service -- customer service seems only designed to find a way to tell you "no" quickly. Stay away from Oscar.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Tom, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Khan Noor Lawrenceville, GA

Website is user frreindly theyve paid out on all the claims no issues I went to top providers. Really happy best insurance ive ever had. I just wish insurance was cheaper for everybody and the only way that can happen is if they contest hospitals ridiculous charges.

Reply from Oscar

Thanks for the love, Khan! Don't hesitate to reach out if there's ever anything we can do to help.

Jun. 7th, 2022

M Judd Englewood, CO

Prescriptions are totally broken. If you have been on a drug for 10 years, they will argue with you every month about sending you more. They will need to talk to you on the phone, they will need bloodwork, they never have the info they need to approve it. It is never a "send a refill" and done.

Reply from Oscar

Hi, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Sep. 13th, 2022

susan nezami Glendale, CA

The main problem with this company is the roster of doctors and facilities in its network, the majority of whom and which are pretty terrible. While administratively Oscar is responsive, unfortunately that can't make up for having to make a choice between mediocre to bad doctors or facilities that illegally try to overcharge with Oscar's inability of do anything about it. My suggestion is to either opt for a PPO or go straight to an HMO like Kaiser. They seem to remain the best. I have been with Oscar this year but I will be switching over to Kaiser next year to avoid any more headaches.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Susan, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Ted Allen San Antonio, TX

Horrible coverage, and the “concierge team” is a total scam. Expect to be hung up on, spend hours on hold waiting for simple answers that you’ll eventually find yourself. Don’t be surprised when your deductible is $8,000 and they continuously edit out of pocket expenses. Your only doctor will be 100 miles away (I live in a major city). This company is owned by the Ks and it’s definitely a grift. If you enjoy burning money and wasting time on hold, this plan is for you!

Reply from Oscar

Hi Ted, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Scott French Orlando, FL

I actually thought I was getting a hood healthcare plan but all I got was a place collecting my money and denying benefits for my children getting healthcare check ups and shots which are required by schools. The Healthcare Facility ST Vincent’s Ambulatory Care was a approved facility, but the Doctor they saw wasn’t an approved Dr. Question is when you go to a facility like this you don’t know which Doctor you will get u til they come in to treat you. I will be canceling my insurance with them and filing a complaint with the State Insurance Commission.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Scott, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Ketchfraze Westerville, OH

The only thing Oscar has to do with insurance is that it has the word 'insurance' in the name. Before we got married, my wife paid $80 per month to have insurance that didn't even cover basic doctor visits. She had one visit with a family doctor and was charged $300 because they only covered 'non-diagnostic' visits. This means that if the doctor asks you "Do you have any problems at all?" and you answer yes to anything, be it aches and pains, a cold/flu, or literally any other symptom, this will then not be covered. This is totally pointless and a scam. For comparison, the insurance I get through my job is $100 per month and I pay only a $25 co-pay, regardless of the type of visit. Please consider other options and do not buy into this company's lies.

Reply from Oscar

Ketchfraze, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Aryan Mashayekhi Malibu, CA

Absolutely horrible service. They will take your premium but fight to provide you care. I am a healthy male in his mid 30s and have been with them for 7 years and never had a claim. I got injured and tore my labrum. My orthopedic surgeon requested an MRI so we could figure out which tendon had torn. After 2 weeks (a ridiculous amount of time when injured) of runaround trying to get a preauthorization for an MRI, Oscar decided to decline it and recommend I get physical therapy and cortisone shots. So diagnostic testing on the recommendation of a specialist was just a bridge too far for them. Their bean counter in New York had the better solution having not examined me. I paid cash for this MRI because I am in pain and was desperate, and low and behold I had ripped half of my labrum off my shoulder socket and require surgery. Oscar won't reimburse me, and still is giving me the run around. I cancelled my policy to get added onto my wife's insurance so I can actually get the care I need. They can't even do that properly, I am now getting a run around trying to get my termination letter so I can get put on my wife's insurance and get the freaking surgery I NEED! If this is how they treat someone who is healthy with no medical claims history, I can't imagine how they will treat someone who actually has health concerns. You deserve to go out of business.

Reply from Oscar

Aryan, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Mathew Watt Los Angeles, CA

I’ve had Oscar health insurance for about 5 years now. It used to be a great company with excellent customer service. Those days are now over. The cost of the insurance has risen dramatically, like most insurance, and the coverage has been significantly reduced. The service used to be great. I’m not sure what happened but poor would be an upgrade. I have Oscar insurance now but I’m going to cancel the policy this month. The penalty for not having health insurance is probably less than what I’m paying Oscar. I don’t get anything with the premium payments in the way of coverage. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! I’d be more than happy to explain the negatives in more detail. But that probably won’t be with a supervisor from Oscar, they are too busy to care about their customers.

Reply from Oscar

Matthew, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jul. 13th, 2022

Zachary Lee Columbus, OH

I would not recommend this company at all. After six months of being with them never received welcome packet. I had auto pay set up and made sure it was set up over the phone with a representative and was told it was set up. After three months get a notice that I'm going to be terminated due to not paying bill. Had to pay up to three months worth of bills to stay with them after my auto pay was turned off due to them double charging me a month.

Reply from Oscar

Zachary, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jul. 15th, 2022

Terry L. Duve

Oscar Health Care is worse then BCBS, First my doctor wants me on a specific medication, and they denied it over and over. They have the balls to submit an off brand to my pharmacy and still charge 1/2 the cost to me. I have to use more of the product to get close to where I was when I was on the drug my doctor requested. Now I had bicep surgery in April and did my first 4 weeks of PT, on my first follow up, my doctor set up the last 8 weeks of PT. Now I am 2 weeks without completing any of that and only have a 3rd of the use of my arm. I can’t do a whole lot with that. I call every 2 days and I am being told it will take a mother 2 days.???? The PT will cost me 300 a week out of pocket I will have to pay it to get 100% use of my arm. I am shopping my company’s health care this week. And contacting NY Insurance Commissioner to file a formal complaint. On behalf of my company and employees.

Reply from Oscar

Terry, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jun. 27th, 2022

Dara Wilson Chicago, IL

Do not use this scam of an insurance company. I have been lied to over and over and now have over 15k in medical bills that I blame on them. I am a medical provider and did my job of contacting this insurance prior to medical appointments, verbally got told they covered certain procedures, used their online system and saw my doctor was in network and then I ended up with multiple bills. I have contacted them so many times and they just keep submitting appeals and then come back months later to say oh sorry but it is denied still. They outright lie! I hope they get shut down by the BBB. It is horrific how they lie to you and cause you to go into debt and think nothing of it.

Reply from Oscar

Dara, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jun. 21st, 2022

Michael VanderMeer Clermont, FL

My family recently moved to Florida and we decided to try out the Oscar Insurance Company Of Florida. I was attracted to their claims of simplified policies and minimalist approach to cut down costs to make health insurance easier and more efficient. I made a huge mistake. I've dealt with a number of different health insurance companies in Wisconsin and Texas and I've never experienced the level of gross incompetence and neglect shown by Oscar, its policies, and its staff. I doubt that I can actually blame the staff themselves for their incompetence as it is likely the companies fault by providing the minimal amount of training to get them to answer phones and man other aspects of the company. Consequently, they are not equipped to handle any problem brought up by a customer outside of taking our payment information, resulting in delayed or denied care or treatments and a lengthy and complicated appeals program. We have been members for two and a half months at this point, and it has taken this entire time to get a simple continuation of care for medical devices that my wife has been using for years, resulting in her running out of the supplies weeks ago and running the daily risk of having to be hospitalized. It took one month to have them deny a simple request, given by a family medicine doctor instead of an endocrinologist. Then it took another three weeks to get the appeal approved (which we got today) and now we are forced to use a company that is going to take another two weeks to get her the medical equipment we desperately need. And that was just one example of many. I received a common script for a generic medicine that cost $7.50 at a local pharmacy, but came to find out that I cannot pick up the medication until Oscar gives their approval that I can have it. This is happening time and time again. We are regularly being required to get approvals for just about every new or existing medication, which results in significant delays in treatment. Naturally, any attempt that I make to get ahold of a supervisor or manager is stonewalled with silence. The incompetence would not be believable had I not personally experienced it first hand. I cannot wait until Dec 31st, when I can drop this company that has made the last two and a half months a misery filled with medical mishaps, missing/delayed treatments, and refusals to provide common meditations and equipment. Please, unless you have absolutely no need of anything from an insurance company, DO NOT join Oscar. If you have questions, please feel free to ask. I am so concerned about their practices that I'll gladly spend my free time to ensure that everyone who is thinking about joining "Oscar's family" knows what they will be getting into.

Reply from Oscar

Michael, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jun. 21st, 2022

Cassandra Workman Gilbert, AZ

Absolutely the worst insurance plan I have ever had, their coverage is confusing and their service is not up to par with the prices they charge. I am still trying to understand 2 claims that I have from over a year ago, and each time I call I get a different answer and no resolution. Still have no idea what I owe, keep being told that I am not liable for the bill while it’s being processed but then get tons of letters in the mail threatening that the bill will be going to collections. On top of that, going to a “mental health visit” cost me $200, even though it was a 5 min visitation with my doctor regarding new medications I was put on. I was unaware of this extra cost, I thought my copay was all I needed but Oscar is sneaky and their wording for things is so hard to understand for normal people. I terminated my plan today, and having no insurance is feeling much better than having Oscar. Avoid this company!

Reply from Oscar

Cassandra, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jun. 15th, 2022

VL C San Antonio, TX

Pro: Specialist copay is reasonable and (so far) my specialist is in network. Con: Prescriptions not covered unless I either a) get them prescribed from an Oscar virtual dr visit, or b) have my specialist doctor (cardiologist) upload all my records and get approval for the drug. It appears Oscar does not like to cover routine meds like high blood pressure meds and anticoagulants despite me having valid prescriptions. So I will continue to pay out of pocket until later this year when I'm eligible for Medicare. And NO, Oscar, I will NOT be selecting one of your Medicare plans.

Reply from Oscar

VL C, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Apr. 29th, 2022

Sylvia Vicari Palm Beach, FL

Before I signed up for Oscar I asked Oscar if my doctor was part of their network and was told he was. My doctor thought he was. I went to my PCP and then got an EOB with a denial of coverage saying he was out of network...WHAT!! I call and ask WTF they told me he is out of network at that location. UMMMM thats his only location so again WTF. Doctors office was saying the same thing WTF apparently they did this to everyone in his office with Oscar. Now I need an MRI to see if a breast implant I got 13 years ago after a mastectomy is leaking and causeing my recent pain. Today I got a letter saying they need more info like last mammogram and ultra sound. I had a bilateral mastectomy 13 years ago there is no mammogram. So now I have to wait up to 2 weeks for their doctor to decide if an MRI is necessary. How is their doctor who did not see me suppose to figure out what my doctor that did see me is correct in ordering an MRI. In the meantime I can sit and wait...cuz they sure as hell don't care about me. I can't wait until December when I can get rid of this crappy insurance company.

Reply from Oscar

Sylvia, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Apr. 12th, 2022

Ladonna Ulrich MN

I'm impressed so far with this insurance company. The list of in network providers is accurate, they offer free telehealth services, and my prescription coverage is great! Even my doctor said it's a good insurance company that actually listens to the doctor and the patient.

Reply from Oscar

Thanks for the love, Ladonna! Don't hesitate to reach out if there's ever anything we can do to help.

Feb. 15th, 2022

sean bouabid Dallas, TX

I love my Oscar Silver health insurance plan! I tore my ACL, and my in-network doctor's surgery facility was not on the Oscar single provider plan but only on the Cigna group provider plan. Oscar went out of their way to authorize a facility exemption, so my in-network doctor could do the procedure at his medical facility. After my surgery, the excellent phone reps gave me a list of physical therapist for my post-surgery Rehab. I couldn't ask for a better care team! Thank you!

Reply from Oscar

Thanks for the love, Sean! Don't hesitate to reach out if there's ever anything we can do to help.

Feb. 15th, 2022

Christopher Allen Delaware, OH

AWFUL.. slow service.. I was sold a policy that was not accepted at Urgent Care in the town I live in yet Oscar knew my address.. had reaction to wasp sting - coverage was denied and appeal was denied....SHOP OTHER INSURERS

Reply from Oscar

Hi Christopher, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Sep. 7th, 2022

J Rosten Kissimmee, FL

I was apprehensive about our retirement and getting new insurance. I did some research and found some really great comments about Oscar. They were relatively new to my state but the feedback from elsewhere was really good! Especially when compared to other contenders available to me. It’s been 2 years and I could t be happier. The concierge team is great and a super resource for help with all things. The online doctor/nurse appointments have been great and beyond easy to schedule! Especially with last years pandemic, it was an incredible resource. The app is just amazing. Everything you need and maybe don’t even know you need is on it. Very easy to navigate. Finding doctors was very easy and the concierge helped when it wasn’t. Love the company! PS - cover thyroid meds. It’s a MAJOR issue among women and would help so many women!

Reply from Oscar

Hi there! Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it and will make sure our team receives your insights to help improve our member experience.

Sep. 6th, 2021

Jeff Dallas, TX

My family has been with OSCAR since Jan 1, 2020 and our experience has been incredible. I had a heart attack in 2020 and was more afraid of the fight over medical bills than I was of dying. I waited for the bill from the hospital and when the first bill arrived Oscar had paid its full balance to the hospital 16 days after I left the hospital. OSCAR assigned a Nurse and a single employee to me and I was told to send them every single bill I got so they could make sure I actually owed the money. Several doctors tried to balance bill me and Oscar went after them and got those charges wiped away. We received bills with things on them that Oscar said we should not have been billed for and weeks later those items were removed from our bill from the hospital and doctor offices. Now, get this......The Oscar nurse told me I had to select a cardiologist for regular follow up care. I told her I really liked the one that saved my life in the Emergency Room and placed the 3 stents. She checked, and he was not in network. 2 weeks later I got a letter from Oscar informing me that they had contacted the cardiologist I liked and worked out an agreement for me to get to see him in his office and it be covered as if he was in network. WHAT??! I have never heard of that! It was a hassle the first few times I went in because his staff would tell me my insurance (Oscar) was not accepted, and I would have to ask them to speak with their office manager who would then confirm that I was "a special case and we accept it for him". I have the letter in case anyone doubts the story. My advice to others is, use the Oscar App or website. You will see a "messages" section. Go there and you can communicate with a nurse that is assigned to you or a member of your "care team". Ask them to find you the specialist you are looking for and ask them to confirm that Oscar will pay for you to go to that doctor etc. You then have it in writing in case there is a problem. I DID have ONE problem that none of the care team could figure out. I kept asking different members and after a couple of months I was contacted there by a supervisor who took ownership of this very odd issue (I'm native American so there is a clause that if I am referred to a provider by an Indian Health Services Dr then the copay is waived. My Indian doctor is in Oklahoma and referred me to a doctor in another state where I live etc etc etc). He stayed in touch with me, and it did take a while but he fought and got it taken care of. CVS pharmacy is a train wreck disaster, but Oscar has not denied any medicine prescribed to any of my family. Virtual Primary Care is free (they send you equipment that connects with them) or you can use any regular doctor in their network, Virtual Urgent Care is free. The welcome kit is excellent. Since they are new, most doctors offices had never heard of them the first year I had it and that was a pain at times. But honestly, we have had nothing but an incredible experience with Oscar Health Insurance. We just had a "life event" and we resigned up with them again for all members of our family.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Jeff, thank you for your kind words! We're happy to hear that our team was able to get you the care you needed. Please reach out if we can be of further assistance.

Aug. 6th, 2021

Jayne Moore New York, NY

While I hate the US medical system and am bitter about extortionate health insurance, Oscar is by far the best I have ever used. For starters their user interface keeps it really simple and makes healthcare accessible - which I feel like the others actually go out of their way to do the opposite. They really break down coverage and make receiving care as easy as possible. They have a very clever app with an easy to reach team you can message about anything. They also merged with mount Sinai, so here in NY my best doctors are all under Oscar network. They even overcharged me once, and paid me back with a years interest on the charge - before I even noticed. They are very upfront and straight forward about things, so while yes, it's still US insurance and still exasperatingly expensive (and goes up considerably every year despite me being young and healthy), this is by far the best.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Jayne, thank you for your kind words!

Apr. 23rd, 2021

Whciv Houston, TX

This year, 2020, was my first year with Oscar Health in San Antonio, Texas. It was our first time on an ACA plan. I did a lot of homework before deciding on Oscar. I must say that I have been extremely impressed with Oscar. We have used the Concierge Service many times. They are always helpful and go out of their way to find doctors and facilities. We’ve used the TeleDoc and it worked perfectly. Called us within 15 minutes and had a prescription within 1 hour at the local CVS. Oscar has also quickly approved our medical tests without much fuss. My only complaint is that Oscar has decided to raise rates 2021 in our area. I have decided to renew again but probably cannot if they raise rates again. More ACA plans are moving into our area every year.

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, thank you for your kind words! Please also note that we will make sure to take your feedback to our team.

Jan. 12th, 2021

Logan Wiesner Fort Worth, TX

I have Oscar insurance in North Texas. (Medical City Hospital Network) I could not be happier. I am young and healthy so I chose a high deductible plan. I recently needed surgery on my elbow. Even with my cheap plan and no coinsurance up to my deductible, Oscar's insanely efficient network saved me so much money. The ER bill was originally over $3000, and with the in-network price it came out to only $550 (again, I am not even close to meeting my deductible so no coinsurance.) The surgery came in at under $1000. I used to have a higher priced, higher coverage plan with United Healthcare and the cost of care was still higher than with Oscar. Also, there are no referrals necessary for seeing specialists, meaning throughout the entire process of getting surgery I never had to have any interaction with Oscar. No red tape, authorizations, etc. Just the care I needed. Drug prices with Oscar are insanely cheap, I have never paid more than $3 for a prescription. (Usually less than a dollar at CVS) You can look up drugs on the app and see what you will pay ahead of time. Their Doctor on Call service is fantastic, free, available 24/7 and has saved me hundreds in copays this year. Concierge team is great in that I get back to the same people every time I have a question or need help. Overall, if you can deal with a more limited network Oscar is a great choice and extremely cost efficient. If you have major health issues and want to see specific doctors, traditional insurance might be better for you. However if you are in a similar situation to me, Oscar is the clear choice in North Texas and it is not even close.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Logan, thank you so much for your kind words! We're happy to have you as part of the Oscar family. Please reach out if you ever need anything.

Nov. 24th, 2020

David Plummer Glendale, AZ

My experience with Oscar has been the most pleasant with all the different insurers I have used since I became disabled. ACA, despite the many claims otherwise, has made heathcare affordable for me. Unfortunatley, experience with health insurance companies hasn't bee consistent. But Oscar keeps my medication costs under control. I have MANY provider options, including the doctors I used prior to 2020. - UPDATE as of November 2020, I remain highly impressed with Oscar. It is by far the best health insurance company I have worked with since I had to transition to Marketplace plans in 2015. Network is sufficient. My actual health care costs in 2020 are down significantly from 2019, however, a good part of this is the handling of copayments and coinsurance in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Customer service has been great. It is so helpful to be able to access the site outside normal business hours. I hope a question and within the next day, I will have a response. After the range of experience I've had from Marketplace insurance companies, Oscar gets my highest review.

Reply from Oscar

This is great to hear, David! We want our members to have the best experiences with Oscar. If there's anything we can do for you, please send us a DM and we will follow up.

Aug. 25th, 2020

Devin Cutter Long Beach, CA

Oscar has been a great insurance company. As much as you can love an insurance company, I have really enjoyed being a member of Oscar. They do a great job making things as simple, convenient, and easy to understand as possible. My favorite experience has been utilizing their app for services such as "Doctor on Call" or prescription refills. It's so convenient to have immediate, direct communication with knowledgeable health professionals and it truly offers peace of mind. The minimalistic user interface of both the app and online portal are simple to navigate and find information. I would recommend Oscar as an insurance company to anyone.

Reply from Oscar

Thanks for the love, Devin! We appreciate it and will be sharing your feedback with our team.

May. 22nd, 2020

Mel Palm Coast, FL

This is my first year with Oscar and I feel very fortunate that I chose them. Almost as soon as my policy went into effect, I got very ill and was hospitalized. I’m still recovering to this day and require specialists for my condition. Throughout it all, Oscar has been amazing. Any questions I’ve had were answered quickly. They even check up on me from time to time to make sure my recovery is still headed in the right direction. I had one little hiccup where a claim was denied but I contacted Oscar about the issue and they got in touch with the doctor. It turns out that the doctors office coded the visit wrong. Before I knew it, everything was fixed. My only disappointment so far has been with having such a small network of doctors; however, they are relatively new in Florida and I have to say it’s getting much easier to find in network doctors in my area. I see a lot of negative reviews from people in other states, but here in Florida they are amazing. The severity of my condition was difficult enough to deal with...but Oscar took care of everything else so I could just focus on getting back on the road to being well again. I highly recommend them in Florida. ❤️

Reply from Oscar

Hi Mel, thank you for your kind words! We're so happy to have you as part of the Oscar family. In regards to our network, our team is always evaluating our partnerships with providers to ensure our members have access to care in all of our markets. Please feel free to reach out if you ever have questions.

Apr. 5th, 2020

SNewhardt San Antonio, TX

Superlative Customer Service with their concierge program and 24/7 Doctor on Call! Our experience with Oscar so far has been quite good. Yes, you are limited on docs and pharmacies, but we have had great doctors, and CVS is everywhere. Our in network hospital is one of the best in town. Our son got sick while out of state, and the Doc on Call was able to help us, get him a Rx, and virtually shopped with me on the phone for OTC items at CVS while I was waiting for the Rx. The Doc was free, the scrip was 5.00. If you are tech savvy, you will love Oscar. I do everything on my phone, and I love all the things I can do on my mobile.

Mason M Los Angeles, CA

Oscar is a great health care option for individuals like myself living in the Los Angeles area. It is affordable especially for individuals under 30. Its network of doctors COULD be larger, there are not many urgent cares to go to which is what I use most when I get sick. Have not used their doctor on call option which might be a good alternative to going to a urger care (I hope) Their app is great, makes it very easy to contact someone if you have questions with the online chat feature. Overall I would totally recommend Oscar. Im also rarely sick so not sure if its a great option for someone who goes to the doctor all the time? But great for individuals like myself who are averagely pretty healthy.

Linda Los Angeles, CA

Oscar has completely disrupted the healthcare and health insurance industry by reinventing a new experience and a new way to access and manage healthcare in a positive, easy, effective, and fun way. The app and the product is very easy to use, has clear steps to sign up, and makes it easy to understand your payments and your coverage. The customer service is quick to respond and very friendly. The Doctor on Call feature is extremely helpful to have, instead of going to urgent care waiting for hours when you can simply solve it in less than 5-10 minutes. I love using the app and have recommended Oscar to so many friends and family! Beautifully designed as well.

SOPHIA C DOWNING New Braunfels, TX

Oscar is fabulous. They are helpful when you call with a problem; they participate with the market place; and several times they went to bat for me when providers were trying to over charge me for out of pocket, deductibles, prescription cost and co-insurance. They even helped with an issue with the market place. In each instance they conferenced the other party and we worked through the problem until we got a resolution. Switching for a corporate BCBS plan I now have many other service (especially therapeuric) with Oscar that I didn't with BCBS. I have read many of the reviews. Mostly the 1 & 2 star reviews bottom line issue is either with the market place or the type of plan YOU selected or was available to you that limits you. You can use the filter tab to see if the plan has you doctor before being "stuck with" that plan. As far a premium increase....yes that happened to me because I missed a deadline in submitting my income to the market place. Oscar worked out a payment schedule so I can keep my insurance. Physicians have to become credentialed for insurances and that is a process. If you want your doctor to accept Oscar....JUST ASK THEM TO APPLY TO ACCEPT OSCAR....Oscar is sort of the NEW KID on the block and alot of physicians are sticking with the dinosaur plans for comfort sake.....let them know about OSCAR....I'm sure they would love to keep you as a patient by adding a new network to their practice. In short, MOST of the 1 & 2 STARS ARE NOT AN OSCAR ISSUE but you are putting the blame on a great company; MOST ARE AN EASY FIX with a phone call or by asking the rights questions. Hope this review helped. Sorry so wordy.

Greta P Los Angeles, CA

I had a Medical year that most people fear. All but one surgery was completely unforeseen. Oscar realized quickly that I was facing a medical nightmare. I was assigned “Concierge Nurse”, who has literally held my hand and made sure my care was approved QUICKLY and efficiently (Mary Jane - I am forever grateful). There were NO delays in care. I am beyond impressed. I can not recommend Oscar enough (I am a health insurance broker and am familiar with all the different companies and how they operate - I can not impress enough how important it is when your insurance company really has your back when needed)

Reply from Oscar

Thanks for the love, Greta! We're glad to hear this. Don't hesitate to reach out if there's ever anything we can do to help.

Nov. 6th, 2018

Howard Rogers Lakewood, TN

At the beginning of 2018 I had to change ins companies due to the fact mine wasn’t handling self employed anymore. I had two choices and one was Oscar. Never heard of them. Did research and saw they were fairly young, but had good reviews and thought to take a chance. My wife did all the research and decided to go with them. And what a BLESSING, then she developed stage four lung cancer and we have paid no more than $1000, if that for the whole year! Now, Oscar may not like me, but I LOVE them and appreciate them. Had a small issue at the beginning of yr getting things paid, but when that got worked out all has gone so smoothly. It was just paperwork a little slow, no debating or anything. If they don’t drop us we will stay with them forever and ALWAYS refer them to others. Thanks Oscar!

Reply from Oscar

Thank you for the kind words, Howard! We're here for you and your family if you need anything.

Nov. 9th, 2018

Edward St John Jr San Antonio, TX

I’ve been a paying customer of Oscar, and have been nothing below satisfied with every customer service call. I’ve never had to call customer service more than once to make a payment, and every customer service representative that’s answered the phone has been knowledgeable, prompt, and courteous. Everyone that’s been contacted by me at Oscar has followed through and met expectations by completing objectives they have set for themselves through conversation with me. If a customer service representative says they are going to process a payment and I’ll be sent a confirmation number for the payment then that’s exactly what the customer service representative does. Everything is usually completed in a few minutes. I’ve never had a phone call that lasted more than a few minutes with Oscar.

Gabrielle Kovelman Sylmar, CA

I have never had as good as an experience as I have had with Oscar! I give them a 5-star rating but it goes much higher than that, a 10+ star rating. I have been a member of Oscar for 3 years and they have been the best years I have ever had with my health insurance experience. The customer service is outstanding! The representatives are very friendly and answer your questions fully and easy to understand. In addition, I have had support from my care team and my nurse case manager. He has gone beyond the call of duty and makes sure that the care and services that I receive are accomplished and if there is anything I need further, he is right there to help. He has checked in with me frequently to check on how I am doing and if I need anything. He answers my questions and just simplifies the insurance process, insures that I get the treatment that is necessary. I plan to remain a member with Oscar for many years to come! There really should be more businesses like Oscar; they just make this a better world!

Reply from Oscar

Thanks for the love, Gabrielle! Don't hesitate to reach out if there's ever anything we can do to help.

Oct. 10th, 2018

Craig E. Morris Spring Hill, TN

In my three and a half years on the Obamacare program, with each year being under a different insurance provider, I feel that Oscar was the best. The pharmacy coverage portion of my policy was outstanding and was great help financially. Unlike my options with the other Obamacare provider choice for 2018, with Oscar I was actually able to keep my doctors. Since I became eligible for Medicare in October, 2018, I did not meet my full deductible amount so some of my out of pocket costs were a bit pricey. To my knowledge, prior to 2018 Oscar was an unknown provider in the Nashville, TN area. From comments by medical offices I have visited, Oscar is now well known and favorably accepted. All things considered, Oscar has been a good medical insurance plan for me.

Ben johnson Austin, TX

I don’t usually post reviews about companies, but I’ve had a really good experience with Oscar so far. I’ve had a lot of questions about doctors and who’s in network since there’s is a bit smaller than BCBS, but their customer concierge has always answered. Big fan of the call-in doctor too. Definitely plan on sticking with them for a while. Got Oscar because it was the cheapest Obamacare plan in my network. The app has been my favorite part. I haven’t really needed to go to the doctor, but the three or so times I’ve used the app to talk to a doctor it’s been great. Really easy to get a prescription if I need it. It’s a big time saver and didn’t cost me a co-pay either. Definitely way better than my experiences with other insurance companies. Feels like the company really wants to make people happy. Network is small and plans are getting more expensive, but I like how easy it is to use. Feels like it was made this century. When I had to go to the ER this year Oscar was really on top of coordinating. I had never had the experience of someone on customer service reaching out and seeing if everything was okay. Billing was really straightforward too. OSCAR customer for about a year. Some of my old doctors aren’t in network anymore, but I’ve been happy with their service so far. I like their tech. It makes it easy to find doctors in the OSCAR network. The customer service people have been good too. Always answer the phone or text pretty fast.

Elizabeth Beaupre

I wanted to write a review on OSCAR because my health is super important to me. Normally, health insurance is so complicated, but what I have found with Oscar is they make it easy. I love the OSCAR app. I have used the app to speak to a doctor several times this year. The doctor was awesome, and it saved me a copay. The doctor phoned in my prescription. It was so great. I didn't have to miss work which is huge for me since I'm paid hourly. I have had OSCAR for the last year. I know that with health insurance sometimes the doctors are not in the network anymore, but I've found terrific doctors in the network to replace my previous ones. Customer service for OSCAR has been hands down better than any other insurance company that I have used. I don't feel like I'm a number; I'm treated like a real person. OSCAR responds quickly to me. Thanks OSCAR for making insurance easy, and taking care of me!

Susan Persaud Baldwin, NY

I was an Oscar member for the year 2016 through the NYS of Health system and I was extremely pleased with the service, the incentives, options, doctors on call, the fitbit, gym reimbursement, etc. The customer service was amazing, the representatives are helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, empathetic and seem to love their jobs. In 2017, I changed to UHC (United Health Care) because (1) the rumors about Oscars reduced network was scaring me and (2) a friend said that the coverage for infertility was better with UHC and "UHC was the best insurance" if I was planning to have a necessary surgery. I was disgusted and disappointed the entire year. I could not get 2 referrals approved IN ONE YEAR... one for a back specialist for my husband and an eye doctor for me for an infection; the customer service is the worst I've ever experienced, the cost was substantially more than Oscar, less items were covered in my deductible, and the list of medical professionals, while expansive, did not rate the doctors so that you could choose based on reviews (Oscar does this). I hated 2017 with UHC and would never again use that insurance. In 2018 I'm back to Oscar, with a slightly less payment, but a zero deductible (the deductible was $ 4000 each with UHC) and I'm so pleased. I love my doctors, I love the system, I feel important when I call, solutions are simple, and I will not be changing ever again.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Susan, thank you for taking the time to share this! We're sorry that you had a negative experience with another insurer, but are certainly happy that you've had a great experience with Oscar. Welcome back! :)

Feb. 9th, 2018

JH Brooklyn, NY

Great customer service ... this is my first time getting insurance after college. Oscar is the most affordable plan anyone can afford. I've spent over 3 months searching for a plan. Oscar is a new medical insurance plan and not much PCP will accept it but the team is very helpful in finding you a PCP that can assist you. The simple plan is only $170 per month which is SOO much cheaper than any plan I've seen after college. Whether you are making $100k per year or $20k per year, if you are under the age of 29, you can enroll into the simple plan at Oscar. I'm so thankful that NY has a plan for young individuals that doesn't need to go to the doctors often. I go to the doctors once a year for annual check up and the simple plan offers 3 FREE visits to your pcp. Great plan, great idea, and very affordable.

Lucio I. Hicksville, NY

At first, I was excited to enroll with Oscar. Heard good things about it. Went to my PCP. Got care. Billing's were clear. The concierge team is awesome. I can call them or email them at any time up to 8 pm. They are there for me. Answer all my questions and concerns. And they help me find a provider when I cannot find one. I used to call doctors and ask them if they take my insurance. And most said NO. Oscar is new. And not many providers take it as much as Aetna Cigna Empire, etc. But Oscar has a wonderful team that will direct you to a great provider. Just ask. I just has spinal surgery. And I could not find a surgeon to do it. Oscar concierge team spent days finding me the perfect surgeon. Within days, they sent me a list of surgeons to choose from. And on top of that, a member of the team called me and told me that he would call the surgeon and make the appointment for me while I was on the line. He called the surgeon, who just happened to be part of the Mount Sinai Spinal team. I got the appointment for the next day. At Mt Sinai Spine Center in NYC. To make a long story short, I got a great Spine Center. And Oscar has been there for me every step of the way. Richard O, Brian, Amy and few others on the concierge team are simply awesome. Oscar has done right by me. Deductible is a bit high, but so are the other insurers available to us.

Pedro Delgado Miami, FL

Just today I try to get a virtual doctor the costumer care couldn't do it he blame slow system, I requested and urgent care not an emergency room, I was given Steward Palmetto Whish it is an emergency room and an urgent care that do not accept Oscar for month now I called again not virtual Doctor either and 1 of the urgent care was still the one do not accept oscar

Reply from Oscar

Pedro, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Jun. 27th, 2022

Alycia Shapiro Woodland Hills, CA

My experience with Oscar has been terrible. They deny everything the first time and make you wait for approvals for medications, treatments, and testing despite obvious need for the care. In some cases, medications were denied that we had been on for years prior to the new insurance plan - even medications they had approved the previous year after a renewal leaving gaps in care that were detrimental to our health and wellbeing. Despite ample evidence of the medical neccessity they have denied a service again despite having debilitating pain that could easily be remedied by injections they want me to be on at least 3 different pharmaceuticals for 60 days each before they will cover it. I have tried several samples of medicine all of which make me very ill or my blood pressure dangerously drop. I have never been so unhappy with any insurance company and that is saying a lot. I feel completely helpless. We pay almost $2900 a month for a family of 5 That is alomst $35,000 a year and cannot get care when I need it. They are terrible.

Reply from Oscar

Alycia, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

May. 19th, 2022

CLC Marietta, GA

Ask the same question - get 20 different answers. As a new family to the Oscar plan, we've been beyond frustrated, confused, and frankly concerned that these people are in charge of our healthcare. The website has frequent errors despite the fact the founders claim to be from the tech industry. Virtual doctors are rarely available quickly - which is kind of the reason why you'd use a virtual doctor. Flashy graphics and buzz words to invoke high-end service fall flat when the customer is left without what they need most - reliable answers about their health insurance plan. And based on feedback we get when we hand our ID cards to doctor office staff, they're not ecstatic about this plan, either. I've got a ton of ideas on how to improve this health insurance company but have yet to find anyone at this company who cares enough to hear them.

Reply from Oscar

CLC, we are sorry to hear that you are frustrated and our team would like to learn more about what may have occurred. Please check your inbox for a followup message.

Apr. 6th, 2022