Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

#1 Capital One chevron_right
#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right

The Good

• Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Introductory APR

Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options, including the Discover it Chrome Student Card, the Discover it Cash Credit Card, and the Discover it Miles Credit Card. With the Chrome Student Card, students can get cash back each school year that their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it. The Cash Credit Card gives a percentage of cash back in the selected quarterly category. The Miles Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score

Discover provides its cardholders with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score for free.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Introductory APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first fourteen months.

The Bad

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, cardholders can expect to be charged a fee for every late payment after the first.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. However, the company does have a late payment fee in place.

Jill B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the rewards on my Discover card. Especially on gas, it’s a great deal. Plus there are tons of other perks.

Kenz

November 5th, 2018 Buena Vista, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love my discover card and the 5% cash back. App is simple to manage and helps us stay on top of our finances. Lots of neat features in the app

Quintin

October 24th, 2018 Waukegan, IL

I love using my card and being able to eat cash back. I love how simple and easy the app is to navigate and that includes my FICO credit score so I can stay on top of it. I was planning to open a savings with my bank, but chose to open it with discover, because of how great their services are.

Jeralyn

October 23rd, 2018 The Bronx, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have the Discover It card student version & it’s seriously the best card ever. The 0% interest rate for 12 months is unbelievable. It’s the best thing ever that I wish all my other cards were like this one. 1% cash back on everything and 5% on deals quarterly. I once had like a $50 cash back to redeem. It gives you the option to deposit it into your checking account or add it to your statement!!

Nicole S.

October 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Discover Card! I like that I can see my FICO score. I like I can use my reward points on my Amazon purchases. I love the 5% cash back.

Brady Hanson

October 19th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wasn't impressed with my Discover card. The customer service was okay, but in the end I cancelled because I didn't need a mediocre credit card.

Steve schramm

October 15th, 2018 Salem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good cash back program. Convenient online banking. Don't like the 3 day delay in crediting fund transfers but otherwise good.

Heather

October 15th, 2018 Vernal, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely love my discover card. I got one when I was 18, and I love how I’m able to earn so much cash back on my purchases. The auto pay option makes having a credit card a worry free experience for me. Customer service is excellent. If there’s ever an issue, they are quick to fix it and give the customer the benefit of the doubt. I highly recommend discover.

Zachary Clement

October 12th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Using discover has been a good experience. I used the student credit card mainly to get credit. It gives you a free credit check every month without hurting your credit, and gives you tips on how to improve you credit. The app is nice because I get an alert for every purchase so hopefully I won’t be a victim of identity theft. Sometimes billing takes a couple of days before payments go through, and I wish that were faster, but otherwise it’s great.

Customer

October 8th, 2018 East Hartford, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

5% cash back is amazing and I'm sad to see the discover deals go. They let you apply cash back to Amazon, your statement, your bank account- which was awesome. I pay huge bills on it just for the cash back. They pick up on fraud alerts very quickly, but I wish there was a way they wouldn't lock it out at work every time I make a purchase (regardless of the amount of times I have asked them to unflag my employer's cafe). Online view and applications for phone are very easy to use.

Tevita

September 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Discover card was my first credit card coming out of high school, I thought it was great. Customer service for the most part was great when I needed to call. I did a few balance transfers with them, and every time went smoothly.

Shari Evers

September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Discover was my first ever credit card. I still have that card...along with a couple more Discover cards! The APR’s aren’t the best, but I do like the no annual fee!

Tracy

September 17th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I have had a fairly positive experience with Discover card. It is hard to get a hold of someone on the phone.

Joy Henry

August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Discover card is a great card to have because of the cash points you get back for every dollar you spend. It can be used most places and I have had one most of my life. I have gotten a lot back from using this card.

Derek Scoville

August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had a Discover card for over 10 years. I mainly wanted this card to get their floating rewards program (different reward each month). But, it was too much a pain to keep track of what the reward was, and what I needed to do to qualify for it.

Robin

August 29th, 2018 Orem, UT

i always get pre approved mail and email. when you actually call them your really NOT approved. you have to go through an application process to find out you are not approved after pulling your credit. then you get a call the next day i have been approved. but yet i have to give them all my information all over again! i asked them what is the interest rate and it was too high for me and had to decline. when i declined the gentlemen hung up on me. then a few days later i get another call from Discover that my card is on its way. i called them immediately and was on hold for 35 mins to just have the call dropped. i tried again and on the phone for another 25 mins. horrible service, just another reason why i do not want to do business with Discover.

Kim Miller

August 29th, 2018 Lindon, UT

Been with discover for almost 20 years. Love their customer service and their cash back rewards.

Jason Miller

August 29th, 2018 Lindon, UT

Easy to use the cash back points. Great customer service.

Leslie

August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had my Discover card for years. I love that I have a high credit limit and can make large purchases in times of need.

Ron Durfey

August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just started with Discover. I like them so far. They seem very customer friendly. They're just not accepted in a lot of places.

Dave Brinton

August 27th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I enjoy the monthly credit score update, and the cash back. Customer service is top notch.

Kristin G

August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Great company to have a credit card. I love using mine for everyday purchases because my points add up for extra benefits.

Carolynn

August 20th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

Great for balance transfers and have had good experiences with customer service.

Catherine Taliulu

August 20th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Their mobile app’s customer service is great. I love this card.

Jacob Johnson

August 7th, 2018 Provo, UT

I have a discover student card and I love it. Other credit card company's wouldn't allow me a card but Discover gave me a card with great benefits and deals. Mobile app is great all-around, very easy to work with.

Nathan Johnson

August 6th, 2018 Palmyra, PA

Have been a credit card holder for many years. I love the online shop discover partnerships but get frustrated by the rotating 5% back categories. With everything else going on in my life, this is one more thing to have to think about. Consequently, have been using less.

Derrick

August 6th, 2018 Lubbock, TX

Great app, great services, and great savings. Offers free credit report without hitting credit score.

Hannah Cummins

August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Discover has great offers for credit cards and their interest rates. We were able to pay off a credit card quickly with minimal interest because of what Discover offered us. They are easy to work with as well.

jordan cummins

August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

has been good. Doesn't charge any hidden fees and is reasonable with interest.

Sarah

August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

I've used their credit card for years and really like the quarterly cash back feature, their customer service, and I do love that you can personalize your credit card! Their website is very easy to use.

Eric

August 2nd, 2018 Annandale, NJ

Good card. Longtime user. Like the extra 5% cash back quarterly on general categories of purchases - wish I didn't have to sign up to qualify for this 5%. Like how when redeeming awards can get discounted gift cards.

Sara Jane

July 26th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

It has been a while since I had a Discover card. I only had it for one year. But found the fees so exorbitant I got rid of it. The customer service was not good, I found them rude and unhelpful.

Bri Graham

July 25th, 2018 Broadbent, OR

My very first card. Very pleased with the benefits they offer

Ruth Anne Bright

July 25th, 2018 Mount Washington, KY

Excellent credit card and excellent customer service.

Marilyn Greer

July 23rd, 2018 Saint George, UT

This card can be used most places so it is convenient.

Jordy Cooley

July 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

First credit card was with them and they offer many benefits. Access to my credit score is a huge help.

Alicia Holman

July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that they give cash back opportunities, but wish they were more diverse. The website is easy to navigate and I like that you can check your FICO score.

Shelene Cooley

July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Used for many years. We like the benefits, but not always accepted at every location. Customer service is good.

Amy Stewart

July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

WE have had our Discover card for many years and are loyal customers. We have appreciated their customer service representatives because they are very helpful when needed.

Troy Siren

June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Wonderful card to use. Great cashback program. Always friendly customer service.

Irene

June 18th, 2018 Aurora, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always good customer service and I have never had any issues with them. They have always helped me when needed.

Merlin Gross

June 18th, 2018 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

customer service, credit limit raises, US customer service agents

James OKeefe

June 18th, 2018 Sacramento, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It works good all the time; no outages never have had a problem with them low payments

Esterline York & David Williams

June 18th, 2018 Elk Grove, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Friendly, proactive customer service, great rates and generous cash back options.

Mary

June 18th, 2018 Winters, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service is excellent. Fraud protection is excellent. Cash back is awesome.

Christine Delia

June 18th, 2018 Oak Lawn, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Unparalleled customer service and excellent fraud prevention

linda siegel

June 18th, 2018 Brownsburg, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

always curteous and listein with compassion of why you were late.

Victoria Johnson

June 18th, 2018 Hinesville, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

very low interest rate and great customer service.

Christie White

June 18th, 2018 Elm City, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are a very good company to work with. I have never had any problems

June 18th, 2018 Holly Springs, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

there great companies that give wonderful services and great product offers