Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

#1 Capital One chevron_right
#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right

The Good

• Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Introductory APR

Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options, including the Discover it Chrome Student Card, the Discover it Cash Credit Card, and the Discover it Miles Credit Card. With the Chrome Student Card, students can get cash back each school year that their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it. The Cash Credit Card gives a percentage of cash back in the selected quarterly category. The Miles Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score

Discover provides its cardholders with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score for free.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Introductory APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first fourteen months.

The Bad

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, cardholders can expect to be charged a fee for every late payment after the first.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. However, the company does have a late payment fee in place.

Rebecca

June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love my student card. The cash back bonuses make me feel way less guilty, and there is so much visibility with their online system

Jacob Shaner

June 10th, 2019

My family has used Discover for several years. It has been the best credit card we have used so far. We get really good cash back on all of our purchases. The downside is that some merchants don't accept Discover, but they will accept other cards with Visa or Mastercard.

Anne Sainsbury

June 10th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved signing up for Discover! The benefits that came with getting this car was amazing, plus my sister-in-law who recommend that I get this CC also got points for her personal one! Yay free money!

Kimberly LeBaron

June 6th, 2019 Delta, UT

Discover is a great company for credit cards. They have a plan specifically for students that costs you nothing if you make you’re payments on time. Really awesome for building credit. Great customer service too.

Grant Lofgreen

June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT

Absolute best beginner cards. Low fees and GREAT rewards. Makes credit score building accessible to all. Love it.

Dale L Farmer

June 4th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use this card the most of all my cards. I appreciate the specials they have each quarter.

Teresa LeBaron

June 3rd, 2019 Lake Villa, IL

Cashback bonus is a good feature plus the credit score checker. Good credit card overall.

Kimberli Shaner

June 3rd, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company. Love the rewards. The website is easy to use and the customer service is top notch.

Christopher Dutson

June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love discover's rewards and cash back programs and the high interest rates for discover banking.

Brittany Bray

June 3rd, 2019 Springville, UT

I have had a discover card for the last 15 years. I love all the benefits of getting points back. They also have amazing customer service!

Christine Farmer

May 29th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had a Discover credit card for years. What I really like about it is the variety of ways to use rewards. The choices to order gift cards or products at discount, or use rewards to pay on Amazon are very useful. My other credit cards seem much more limiting in rewards choices. They also have a great website to monitor areas of credit card use and just to maneuver to find information.

E S

May 28th, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cash back bonus is good. Easy to use website. They had errors in their site’s calculation of amount due. Called and they took down the tool immediately and fixed, but did not admit their error. Great otherwise.

BLF

May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This was a good option for us when we needed to transfer some high interest cards to a new credit card with no interest. We were able to pay down our debt and still make purchases with great perks.

Reese

May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Discover Card works well for me. It has a great rate and also a rewards program that gives me the ability to go on personal vacations with my family. There are low fees and easy way to monitor my activity and keep things current with customer support.

Dean

May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Discover Card is amazing! The benefits have been a fun experience because of their variety and the cash back option is great around Christmas time. I will always keep my Discover Card because of the benefits.

Jennifer

May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would consider my Discover Credit Card as the middle of the pack. This is mostly because I think the rewards are just so-so. The annual fees are low or non existent. They are great with customer service because I lost my card and had some fraudulent charges that were immediately resolved.

Ashley

May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The first year owning my Discover Credit Card was awesome. They will Automatically match all the cash back you earn at the end of your first year with a 0%APR. I really appreciate the no Annual Fee. I don't think there is a better card out there to have in your wallet!

Rich Roberts

April 5th, 2019 Rockland, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Discover card has the best client services ever. The app is also extremely friendly with a wide range of services. I have a Visa and American Exoress cards but, Discover is the card I prefer above them all

A. Wallace

February 14th, 2019 Ninety Six, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ive been with them a long time and its an easy card to ise. I dont like that the interest rate is sooo high and its hard to talk with customer service about issues like that.

Shauna Horne

February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We signed up for a Discover card a few years ago because of their incentive programs. We really like their cash back rewards and every six months they have additional places we can go to get more rewards. We like to use our cash back to pay down our balance. They have an easy to use call service so we can find out our rewards and pay our balance.

Ponch Thompson

February 13th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had a Discover Card for over 30 years. We enjoy the extra cash back around Christmas when shopping at vendors and especially Amazon. The customer service is great! Our child also got her own card in college and has used it a bunch!

Nathan Hill

February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like my discover card. It's accepted most places and has given me good deals with balance transfers and initial offers and I really like their cash back match for the first year. I also like that their isn't an annual fee.

Brandie Rudy

February 12th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cash back, no annual fees, great customer service to name a few of my favorite things about Discover. I love the flexibility of paying online and the website is user friendly and easy to navigate.

Dave Ros

February 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Discover was one of my first credit cards. I love the convenience and he perks including Cash Back and gift cards to stores when I spend a certain amount. There have been some retailers that only accept Discover so that is a nice benefit.

Virginia Rosenthal

February 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There have been times in the last 10 years where certain businesses only accept the Discover Card. It's a great card to have for those times only Discover is accepted. The online statements are easy to read and the membership benefits are great with the cashback option.

Sunny Perry

February 6th, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

love that this card can be used everywhere. Had a rough month with sickness and missed a bit of work. Discover was forgiving with payments. So grateful

Lindsey B

February 6th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely love the cash back feature associated with my Discover Card. I have never ran into any issues using my Discover Card at any point of sale or even online. If you have an issue they resolve them quickly. Great card to have!

Xavier

February 6th, 2019 El Paso, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent customer service and products. Their promotions are consistently on part with current trends.

Cindy

February 6th, 2019 Weaver, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love it! Cash back, free credit report & customer service are the best!

Cindy Bailey

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been a cardholder for years but it is not my favorite because the rewards are not as good as some other cards. Customer service is always helpful and professional.

Jason Brown

February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The FICO score that they provide has proven useful. I actually switched to their high-interest savings account because they have been a great company.

janalee sanders

February 4th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

years ago we had a Discover card that we kept for quite a few years. there were never any issues we just paid it off and decided to just keep the card that was giving us some other purchasing benefits.

Lindsey A Brown

February 1st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Discover had the best rates for us when searching for and comparing other available credit cards. The perks with this card were much better than competing cards as well. We have been very impressed up to this point with Discover.

Hannah Thompson

February 1st, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a discover credit card and I have only had one instance that the business did not take my card. It is a very widely used card so it is a safe bet that the company will take your card.

Jeff B

January 31st, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hands down the best Credit Card I have ever had. When it came to disputing charges or notifying them when I was going on vacation I have been blown away with their customer service. It is the first credit card issuer that I have dealt with that I actually feel like they have my best interests in mind not necessarily theirs. That's hard to come by dealing with any type of financial institution. If you have had a bad credit card experience in the past I would highly recommend Discover to change your mind.

Dan M

January 30th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They've been awesome they took care of a dispute I had with mattress firm for $5200 they took care of it no questions asked after I try to work it out with mattress firm they took over and cleaned it up

Dasha Directo

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Discover credit cards are great. They have a good rewards program so you can get gifts or cash back. It's a trustworthy company.

Shayla Hankins

January 10th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Discover card is my one and only credit card and I love it. Their app is very useful and easy to make payments on and see my history on. They also provide a freezing service if you tend to loose your card. Their interest rates are low and they have helped me keep my credit score high.

Christie williams

January 2nd, 2019 Santa Rosa, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely love Discover and I’m very happy I have never had to ask for credit increase which I love.

Wendy Glade

December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Discover card. I'm able to use it pretty much everywhere that credit cards are accepted. I've never had any problems with my card or the company.

Katie Howard

December 6th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've had a Discover card for probably 30 years at least, and it's the main one we use. We like getting cash back rewards, and it is accepted most places. We stick with them because they've been easy to work with and there's no reason to change. We do have other cards for times when Discover isn't accepted.

Mia Hernandez

December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

highly recommend going to discover to get a credit card they have great benefits with there cards and your over all customer experience is great

Amber

December 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The 3% cash back for online orders has paid off for me. This credit card is work having.

HLG

December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Decent card with decent rewards. Haven't had any problems. I think they weren't accepted as widely in the past as they are now. I've kind of developed habits of using VISA and AMEX more often.

Al Soto

November 26th, 2018 Candler, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Discover card. Not sure why I never got one before, but I have it now and use it for almost everything - great rewards!

Isabella

November 19th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The customer service was helpful they get the job done and resolve any issues and like hey have a lot of cute cards

Michelle S

November 6th, 2018 Williamsburg, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Although I really HATE the high interest rates, when I got my debt under control and started paying off my card each month (week), I have enjoyed the benefits of the cashbacks offered. Before then, they were helpful in freezing out card and lowering rates when I called at our worst financial time. Customer service was very helpful for that. In addition, customer service at Discover was helpful in helping my adult children establish their first credit cards.

Angela Pyrah

November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a Discover card as a college student because it was free as a student. However, when I graduated the monthly price shot up with no warning. Also, they advertise that you can see your credit score for free but every time you looked it messed up your credit score, NOT COOL!

Jason Pyrah

November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Discover has a great credit card. Their customer service has been very helpful for me.

Rachel B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got a student discover card and the APR was really high. The promo period was nice though and there was no annual fee.