MetroPCS

6.2

MetroPCS is a prepaid wireless service that was recently acquired by T-Mobile. There is nationwide talk, text, and data available through T-Mobile’s networks. It’s the sixth largest telecommunications network in the United States and uses CDMA technology. It was a good thing that MetroPCS was acquired by T-Mobile because MetroPCS decommissioned their CDMA network. They integrated their 4G LTE network with T-Mobile by second half of 2015.

The Good

• Great family plan
  • Basic phone options
  • No activation fees

MetroPCS offers a variety of affordable service plans for their customers to choose from. The family plan offered the best savings on the market for non-contract phones. A family can simply get an unlimited data plan or share the same data plan between multitudes of different lines. There are no overage fees or contract fees for MetroPCS and their service.

Currently, MetroPCS offers a number of Google Android phones and a number of simple "basic phones" that are available to be purchased. The basic phones do have access to data, but lack the advanced capability of the Google Android phones. There is even an Alcatel data tablet that can be used among phones as part of a data plan.

Another selling point for MetroPCS is the fact that they do not charge service or activation fees to get started. MetroPCS also has a sound business strategy in place. The merger with T-Mobile was structured with customer experience in mind. Two of the best customer care providers, backed by T-Mobile's great 4G LTE network, are in a great position to provide great coverage and quality customer service for clients.

The Bad

• Limited phones available
  • Quality of coverage
  • Data limits

One problem customers have expressed are in regards to the lack of phones available with MetroPCS. MetroPCS seems to be pretty far behind in terms of offering different operating systems to its clients. There are no iPhones currently offered alongside MetroPCS's data plans and services. There is also no BlackBerry phone available for customers.

MetroPCS is also lacking in the number of tablets and other products that customers can purchase. There is one tablet available from Alcatel, but Alcatel's products are not reviewed well by customers with other phone companies and there isn't much information available.

Another common complaints surrounds the quality of coverage in certain areas. In order to enjoy your MetroPCS data plan, you are going to need to live in a major urban area or somewhere with a lot of cell phone towers set up to provide 4G LTE service. With the T-Mobile merger, MetroPCS should be improving their 4G LTE coverage in the near future.

One issue with MetroPCS's service is that they advertise all of their plans as being "unlimited" in terms of data. The first two basic plans are great, but they have a data limit where data throttling starts. Data throttling has even been reported with the unlimited plan. The data plan with the two basic service levels, while advertised as unlimited, is not actually unlimited.

The Bottom Line

MetroPCS offers a unique service to those fearful of enrolling in a big-name carrier service. A majority of customers appreciate the fact that getting a family plan equates to true savings for customers. If you get five additional lines with MetroPCS, you can save up to $300 per year. This margin of savings is vastly superior when compared to competitors in the pre-pay and contract phone industry.

There are a few issues with MetroPCS that arose as part of the process of completing the merger with T-Mobile. There are not that many phones available with MetroPCS. The technology selection is extremely limited. That being said, customers know what they are getting with their plan and with their phone from the start.

1.7

November 15th, 2017 Miami, FL DETAILS

My family and I had been customers of Metro PCS for over 10 years when they just started. The only way that you can have them take you seriously is if you complain to the FCC. They provide their unsatisfied, frustrated customers with a free upgrade and some credits to ease the frustration. Fast forward two years after our complaint, we still experienced unreliable service, dropped calls, no signal, no incoming/outgoing texts, etc. There are known for using deceptive business tactics to avoid being fined for scamming many customers. They enjoy lying to the FCC and only helping their customers until the case is closed. As paying customers, it is disturbing to tolerate unreliable, poor service and to deal with a carrier who could not care less. Don't bother voicing your concerns via their social media pages or their corporate office, they do not care. Fortunately, we switched to a carrier that values customer loyalty. The fact that there are so negative reviews online for Metro PCS speaks volumes.

October 3rd, 2017

Don’t ever go to this branch of metro pcs! I had the worst experience with Lester a sales associate in the store. He is very rude and unprofessional and should have his job taken away. The manner that he treated me as a loyal customer for over 6 six years until less than 24 hours ago is highly unacceptable! They somehow have a policy to unlock their phones only after three months. I bought a phone for my little boy for $119 but it was active on my account for under 30 days. As a previous customer you should verbally let customers know that if they switch carriers within that time frame that the phones would not be unlocked and unfortunately you bought a phone that you could not use. One of the reasons I switched to T-Mobile was because I was informed the man who set my phone line up did it incorrectly and that I would be charged higher payments up to $190 because of his mistake. I first came in to see my options about refunding the phone because T mobile ( Who bought them out) a store manager advised to refund it since it’s been less than 30 days. However they don’t know their policy but you own the business! I did what they suggested because T mobile couldn’t unlock my phone and Lester TOLD me to call customer service or drive to the corporate store all while shoving a piece of paper in my face of policies and procedures! As an employee you never repeat over and over again about policies and procedures without first going above and beyond to help that customer who has been giving service to their corporation for years! Finally, he took my suggestion to call customer service after debating with me in front of other customers for about ten minutes and spoke to a representative on the phone for less than 30 seconds and hung up and refused to help me because he stated to the rep that I was a customer not too long ago, so I calmly corrected him that it’s only been less than 24 hours after repeatedly mentioned this before. He tried to detract from the time I have been a loyal customer to the rep. He showed lack of empathy and customer service to myself and other customers inside that building. I asked for his full name and info and he sarcastically wrote down his name after I said I would call the police and continued to argue and belittle me in front of everyone as I left! Lester should not work in an customer service/sales field if he can not handle irate customers. All he needed to do was show empathy and call his manager or customer service to resolve the problem. I would not recommend metro pcs nor would I ever purchase anything from them again! Oh and by the way, you should really watch who you give employment too. Some employees will give you a bad reputation! Or… Employees should be terminated when they write false reviews or have family and friends write positive reviews to compensate for the lack of unprofessionalism and customer service! Lester. ( Jumb-o-lya) thanks for giving yourself five stars! 9730 Abrams Rd #105 Dallas, Tx 75243

October 2nd, 2017

Lost everything in hurrican Harvey metro pcs has shown me that I as a customer for over 4 years it's all about the money cut my services over $90 mind you never missed a payment in over. 4 years had to call in over. 7 times all for them to tell me that I qualify for a $30 credit but I have 3 lines as soon as I can get everything back together I'm done with METRO PCS and I thought boost was bad metro pcs is the worst not feeling the love and the only reason you get that star is because of the representative that I spoke with last

September 30th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

I've paid out over $213.00 for a 60.00 bill, being Swindled by store owner Anjali Grover, 250 West 14th Street NYC, 10014, they are thieves, I'm going to the police department tomorrow to make a formal complaint.

September 25th, 2017 Pittsford, NY

I've been trying to unlock my son's phone for weeks and all I get is the runaround. He has moved to China and wants his phone unlocked and can't do it from there. Metro PCS tells me one day: "Apple has to unlock it!" then when nothing happens for a week (we were promised 3 days) they say "Metro PCS has to unlock it" RUN_A_ROUND, and still no one will help. AVOID THESE THIEVES AT ALL COST!

September 25th, 2017 Winter Springs, FL

When I first got with Metro I was happy, I have been a customer for 5yrs now, and it's been problems. Their 4g LTE isn't the greatest, slowest 4g ever. Some of the workers near my location are rude and lazy. When I needed to just push back my billing for like a day or two, they said I would have to pay extra to do that. They really don't offer anything to long time customers or have any great offers,. I've been unsatisfied for sometime now, I would like to go to another provider but can't at the current moment. Metro needs to make some changes soon.

September 19th, 2017

1. I went there and pd 200 for a cheaper phone. I wanted to return it within 2 hours and pay$ 150 more for a better phone yet I wasn't allowed to. 2.the Manager lied to me when I asked her when her Boss would be there. 3. The store wasb't open during posted hours. The cheap prices don't compensate for poor sevice

September 6th, 2017

I checked around at several stores in the Cincinnati area and got terrible help but the store in dillonvale shopping center on E galbraith rd . was exceptional and very helpful. All their staff were easy to understand and helpful in transfering my service to metro pcs. Im so glad me and the wife stopped there

September 2nd, 2017 Independence, MO

i have metro pcs with my wife and grandson for about a year now. the phones we have are LG aristo the phones are ok for cheap ones. the service is better then sprint that we had before. the internet is good per grandson. the phones have not drop calls . the wife was having problems with her phone. they took care of it right away. other then that service and phones have been good.

September 2nd, 2017 Louisville, KY

I made the mistake of trying out Metro PCS. The day after I signed up, I went out of town. Their wonderful service disappears within 30 miles after leaving the metro Louisville area and was missing until I returned 6 hours later. I use my phone for business , so that's completely useless. I switched to Cricket and asked Metro for refund. Their service agent disconnected me. I emailed them. They told me to call their customer service line. The customer service line disconnects you if you don't have a current account . I emailed them. They told me to call their customer service line. I emailed them. They told me to call their customer service line. I emailed them. They told me to call their customer service line. I emailed them. They told me to call their customer service line. Finally they told me to contact one of their corporate offices. THERE IS NO CORPORATE OFFICE WITHIN 150 MILES OF ME. DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH THESE GUYS. THEY ARE DISHONEST AND DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY OF THEIR CUSTOMERS, FIND A GOOD COMPANY.

August 30th, 2017

I have been a MetroPCS customer for over 2 years and on a PROMO plan with NO changes. I called customer service for the FIRST time on Monday, 8/28/17 inquiring about how to purchase more GB for the hot spot feature on my phone. I was assisted by Maria who explained the cost and payment options. I purchased 1 GB, Maria confirmed my payment went through successfully, I thanked her for her time and ended the call. The next day, Tuesday, 8/29/17, I went out of town for work only to discover that my service had been suspended! I called customer service again and this time was assisted by Carrie. I asked Carrie why my account was suspended and was advised that my account was suspended because I needed to pay $5 to add more money for the hot spot feature on my account. Of course I questioned why my account was suspended for the $5.00 that I paid on Monday, 8/28/17. Carrie looked into the matter, apologized for the inconvenience, and confirmed that the payment successly processed on the previous day. Before I ended the call Carrie proceeded to tell me about this "GREAT" promo and that she would update my account. I thanked Maria and ended the call. Today, Wednesday 8/30/17 I attempted to use the additional GB that I purchased on Monday, 8/28/17, only to find out that the hot spot feature had been removed. Once again, I called customer service and this time was assisted by Freddie. I explained the events that led up to today's call, received the apology script, and that he would review my account. After Freedi's review he explained that I am one of the "Lucky ones" who received the hot spot option in error when I signed up with MetoPCS. He went on to explain that the system made a mistake and if I wanted the hot spot feature I needed to upgrade to the $60 plan. I questioned why after several months on a "PROMO" plan with the hot spot feature, the feature was suddenly removed. His explanation was that they have no way of knowing who the "Lucky" ones are who received the hot spot in error but oh by the way I can pay for a new plan that has the hot spot feature. Listening to Freddie's song and dance I concluded that when I spoke with Carrie, she changed my account to the so called "GREAT" Promo plan to remove the hot spot feature that the system added in error. To add more insult to the nonsense I asked Freddie how much data would I receive for the hot spot IF I choose to change plans. His response was 8 GB. That's funny because when I had the hot spot feature on the "PROMO" plan that the "system applied in error" the plan allowed for TEN GB. Guess I am no longer a "Lucky one!" Time to change carrier!

August 30th, 2017 Columbus, OH

Worst customer service experience ever. There is no way to contact a live agent or chat and self service of password process doesn't work. Avoid this company .

August 26th, 2017

I went to tje store at 6947 Gall Blvd. Agent Dylan said he was not trained to do a warranty exchange. This was a Sunday. He referred me to 12856 us 301 in Dade City. I asked Dylan to call there to ensure they could do it. He said Oh No problem she can. So I drove there. Ivy said I am not trained. Ugh. So I have a phone 14 days old that was bought for over 100.00 and why because the iriginal phone had to be changed due to network upgrade. No one said that meant it was in a contract basically so no upgrade can be done unless you pay. We paid and phone didnt work. Went back to Gall store on Monday same guy Dylan working said no one coming in that can do it. Now keep in mind bith of these stores are warranty stores. Really.... Then I call customer service and the foreign gentleman said Policy is you have to go to a warraty store. 1.5 hours spent bouncing from one person to another and still no resolution. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with in almost 50 years. No caring no customer service and no empathy. Come to find out the same person owns both of these stores. Must be nice to make money off the backs of poor unknowing people who belive in them.

August 25th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

I went in today to just buy a house charger for my phone at Metropcs store at 972 hempstead tpke Franklin Square, ny . i walked in the store and immediately i was kindly and warmly greeted by a very beautiful (extremely attractive), intelligent and knowledgeable young lady. Her name was Natalie. She first helped me with what i came in for. then she asked me about my service. i just bought a new phone a month ago with T mobile. But she convinced me to change my service to metro pcs service in 3 minutes. she saved me 10.00 on my monthly cellphone bill and a new phone, even though i had a new one. I used sell verizon and sprint phones for years. So a salesman knows a great salesperson when he sees them. she was knowledgeable, professionally, friendly, bright, courteous, a great listener and extremely polite. She is a great asset to Metropcs Corporation. I hope they give her a big promotion. Made my day! A+++++ service and a very pleasant experience. Glad i stopped in to see her today! Represented herself well and well for your company also! Thumbs up!

August 23rd, 2017

I switched to Metro PCS from cricket. I've only been with them a month, however... The service is equally comparable, the price is better, Annnnd they gave me a 48 hour extension to pay my bill for free. Which is something that was unheard of during my 11+ years with cricket. Not to mention, I got an amazing phone for free.. So far, so good. Glad I made the switch!! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

August 12th, 2017

I have Metro PCS a few year's. I went into a Fairfax Va. store & added a line and received a new phone. Yessica C. Gave us outstanding service. She was helpful, attentive and customer friendly. She definitely is an asset to your company. I love Metro PCS. I have recommended it to several people. Thank you, Metro. Truly yours, Irene R.

July 26th, 2017

800 # not working. Finally I access a costumer representative, he was rude and annoyed yours for asking for the 800 # for the second time ( 800 373 2876) and go figures the number was disconnected. The worst cell company.

July 25th, 2017

My phone on 2nd line got stolen, trying to buy a phone at store they want $15 extra for activation fee on an active line! can avoid activation if phone is bought on line, but for a $19 phone they charge you $89 , then maybe they send you the difference in 3 months!!! Big scam ad run around no wonder they are refered to as metro piece of sh.....

July 11th, 2017

Cell reception is top notch. Call quality is excellent. Data speeds are among the fastest out there. Plans are cheap. Only $50 for unlimited data plan.

July 10th, 2017 Humble, TX

This company is awful! Don't expect to be able to send texts or make calls. It's not happening.

July 6th, 2017 Sanford, NC

This has to be the worlds worst.Unbelievable worst experience one could ever hope for.Not only in the stores that they have the customer service is like talking to a stick.I really do not know how they stay in business.This rating is beyond terrible.

July 4th, 2017 Longview, TX

I have never had so much problems with a phone provider. It took a hour for me to be able to speak with someone. All the local stores I called either didn't answer or phone went straight to voice mail. The MY Metro app kept rejecting my card to add data and then suspended the service over $5 that didn't even go threw. This will be the last month I use this phone.

July 4th, 2017

I travel the state of California often (From Northern to Southern) with no problem in Urban Areas.(The Bay Area to Los Angeles) My only issue is the coverage/reception while in the rural areas between these Urban Giants. As soon as I get outside of San Jose I experience a lot of call drops and poor reception. (Traveling South Bound) That experience continues until I reach The San Fernando Valley/ Santa Clarita. That's a 350+ miles of nothing/or close to nothing coverage loss. Will like to see improvements of Metro PCS's services, because I'm a long time customer who loves my carrier. I recommend Metro PCS to Majority of my family and friends. Hands down the ratings of this company doesn't give the correct projection output. Metro should be ranked amongst the top Giants. I will do my part to promote, but need Metro to fulfill it's part and fix the small discrepancies. Overall I'm with Metro Til the Very End.

July 1st, 2017 Pittsboro, NC

Their coverage for us is just fine. Our free J3 Galaxy phones are inexpensive but work fine and is more than I need with more features than I expected. Love this company and we save over $800 a year with our two phones over Verizon. Plus Metro PCS has three offices in our town (and looking to open a forth) were we can go in person if we have a problem. Verizon has just one.

June 28th, 2017

I pay $50 for 5gb, I get 8gb as a promotional offer. I am convince they give you the 8-so you won't bitch you aren't getting all 5gb, because the signal doesn't connect to the service half the time. Another 25% is lost being on edge speed. Their response to my complaints? 'we are a young company it's taking time to work out the bugs' It's my understanding they are using t-mobile towers. I've had t mobile. I loved it. Hated to switch, they had no coverage where I moved. So how does that excuse apply to my problem? Of course it doesn't its a canned response. While I have been writing this review is been constantly not connect to the network. I'll have to wait to post it. Oh, and we are switching to Verizon.

June 18th, 2017

Worst customer servicer ever. charges money for every single thing that is done, for example changing phone number or paying bills. Worst online site ever as well. You can never get anything done, always saying they are experiencing a technical issue.

June 14th, 2017

Went to the location at 69th street in upper Darby and was disappoint by the lack of knowledge the store rep has. I ended up walking out with nothing and went to cricket where the process was smooth and easy. I got my hassle free phone from them and I'm very happy.

June 12th, 2017

I'm in San Bernardino CA. Service is absolutely horrible. It's same as Sprint. I gotta outside to make a call. Any video just buffers. I drive all over SoCal for work is reason I switched to tether to WiFi. It's a little hard to do with weak connectivity. I'm going back to Cricket. Rarely ever a problem, similar to ATT which I had prior but almost double the price. If your in SoCal, don't waste your time with Metro PCS

June 3rd, 2017

I loved METROPCS until i didnt. Was overdue an uograde phone, yet was limited to in store phones only. COULD NOT get the local stores to even order a phone. Called CS and they referred me back to local stores 3 times. They lost a good customer over not making a new phone PURCHASE possible.

May 20th, 2017

After auto pay snagged my payment 3 days before the due date, I received this inappropriate "alert" via text: You've used 28GB of high-speed data this month on your MetroPCS plan. If you exceed 30GB you may temporarily experience slower speeds at locations and times when competing network demands occur until your next cycle date. Learn more at...and they provide a link to justify and extenuate. With their mediocre coverage quality in my area, I don't need this annoyance. I do need to qualify this by saying that they're a better company overall than Sprint, at least where I am. Still, if you're charging me 3 days early, take care of my data appropriately. That's not too oh to ask. ...and then they provide a link to discribe their data practices. Fine. But this is a billing and data cycle issue.

May 19th, 2017 Charlotte, NC

They should give u your full 30 days regardless when you bill is due. for example if you pay your bill in the 20th of a month and u miss the 20th of next month..but pay it on the 8 of the following month ur bull should not be due to weeks later..but on the due date that u paid it.

May 18th, 2017

Im in Lake Providence LA with NO SERVICE with Metro or T-Mobile. Live Chat did something to my phone so that I can not even make a wifi call. Run duck or hide from this company.

May 16th, 2017

I am totally happy with the price of my plan, it saves me $90.00 each month. Also my new Coolpad Catalyst cellphone, only costs $19.99 with a rebate coming. I am happy with my Coolpad Catalyst, a phone new to me but needs my needs, the camera and pixel rate could be better. Other then that, the Customer service was decent, time was taken to explain, phone and plan to me.

May 13th, 2017

Ms Emily u r the best... Metro pcs made me happy today as always I give u a A+ on good customer service today.. Best prepaid service ever...

April 15th, 2017

Overall its a good deal. It comes down to customer service right? Dont do your business with the one on Cheyenne and Rainbow in Vegas. Will make you second guess your whole decision. AT&T wasn't so bad afterall!

March 21st, 2017 Decatur, GA

Metro PCS sold me a bad phone. The LG K10 never would work right. You had to plug it in to get the screen to light up or take the battery out and plug it back in. They do not stand behind their products and I was told the phone was mine and I could buy a new one. Absolutely no customer service.

March 21st, 2017 Brighton, MI

I've been to 3 stores in the Brighton South Lyon Novi area of Michigan the salesperson's and managers are incompetent and aloof they don't want to give you any help. I have a Galaxy on5 phone by Samsung The service people do not know their product and they are very rude!!!

March 18th, 2017

I had a horrible experience at the metro pcs store at avenues mall Jacksonville Florida! A young kid named Malek treated us with such disrespect and impatience! March 12th we went there and when we walked into the store he didn't bother to follow us in to help us. There was no one else at the counter at the time, and we waited for about 10 minutes before we decided to ask for assistance. When we tried to ask Malek he was on his personal cell phone talking with someone, and when we said "excuse me" he looked at us and completely ignored us and continued chatting on his cell phone. Another lady finally came from the back and helped us. We decided to come back the next week on March 18th to switch over to metro pcs. When we came in, me and my husband explained that we wanted to switch our numbers over, and I said I was coming from Version. (My husband was going to switch from cricket) He told us he needed our account and PIN numbers and that we had to call the companies to get them. As we were trying to figure out our account and PIN numbers, we were having some difficulty. Malek became extremely impatient and rude with us. He started arguing with me saying that I said me and my husband were both switching from Verizon, when In fact I said it was only me. And he continued to argue with me about my choice of words. I told him I don't want to argue about what I said. Then he proceeded to tell me because we were trying it port two numbers from different carriers, that we could not go on the same plan for 2 lines for 80 dollars, he said that we have to go on individual plans for 50 dollars each. I didn't understand this so I kept asking questions for clarification, at this time he got even more rude and short with me, cutting me off before I could finish a sentence. Then Malek got on the phone with someone, and when he finished said "okay i can put you both on the the same account 2 lines for $80 even though you guys are coming from two different carriers." I was confused because he just said the exact opposite and now he's telling me it okay, and he said it in a very impatient frustrated way. Meanwhile my husband was frustrated because Malek gave him the wrong number to call and find out the account number, twice!! So I explained to Malek that my husband called the numbers you gave him and the first one was AT&T and the second one was t-mobile, so Malek walked over to my husband, snatched his phone from his hand without asking, and typed another number in, and handed it back to my husband in a very rude manor. Then he walked back over to the counter and as I'm asking him another question, he cuts me off tells me he doesnt like my attitude (even though i didnt have an attitude) and says from the moment I walked in the door I have been rude and said "I dont need you to tell me how to do my job". Then he accused me of yelling, when I never once raised my voice or got impatient. Finally me and my husband decided to leave and not swtich to metro pcs and explained that we were not happy with how we were being treated by him, and he says "okay sorry bye!" To top it all off, as we were walking away, Malek comes running out of the store following us and says "I want my pen back." and snatches it from our hands and runs back to the store! I am completely disgusted by how we were disrespected, and I will NEVER switch to metro pcs because of the horrible customer services recieved! Not to mention the manager as we were leaving the store, witnessed everything and just shrugged his shoulders and said "sorry.".. Eventually he did come back after he saw Malek snatch his pen from us, and came out of the store to apologize but we were still so upset. We were very disappointed all around with the horrible customer service and treatment from this young kid who gives a horrible representation of the company.

February 18th, 2017

I recently brought the ztc max pro I had problems with charging the phone the second time I tried to charge it so I had to send it back.( had the phone for 4 days) Then they ship me another one now this one wouldn't charge with the charger that came with the phone neither so I brought I another charger. Then the fingerprint will not work and it's a brand new phone. This is the worst phone service I have every encounter. I have tried many phone brands such as boost mobile, virgin mobile, straight talk, and at&t and they all have worked better than this phone.

February 2nd, 2017

They lie , rude, n waste of time . The phones, don't last long. Web services is had . Waste of money and time.