MetroPCS is a prepaid wireless service that offers no-contract cell phones. MetroPCS is the sixth largest telecommunications network in the United States and offers customers up-to-date CDMA technology and services including nationwide calls, text, and data through T-Mobile’s networks.

The company boasts that its coverage network covers 99% of the people in the U.S.

#1 Verizon chevron_right
#2 T-Mobile chevron_right
3.7
#3 AT&T chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Prepaid Plans
  • Unique Plan Benefits
  • No Overage Fees
  • Good Phone Selection
  • Add-On Services

Prepaid Plans

Depending on what plan a customer chooses plan pricing ranges anywhere between $30-$60. MetroPCS offers four simple, straightforward 4G LTE data plans:

• $30 per month
    • Unlimited use of 4G LTE Data + 10 GB Hotspot
    • Unlimited video streaming
    • Unlimited social media use

Unique Plan Benefits

Customers with the $50/month or $60/month plans get free access to Google One which gives you 100 GB cloud storage, mobile backup, family sharing, and other benefits.

Customers with the $60/month unlimited plan also get free access to Amazon Prime including free shipping, TV streaming, movie streaming, and ad-free music.

MetroPCS offers a variety of affordable service plans for customers to choose from, especially for families. The family plan offers the best savings in the market for non-contract phones. A family can simply get an unlimited data plan or share the same data plan between multitudes of different lines.

No Overage Fees

There are no overage fees or contract fees for cell phone service with MetroPCS.

Good Phone Selection

Currently, MetroPCS offers a number of cell phone brands:

• Samsung
  • Apple
  • Motorola
  • ZTE
  • LG
  • Alcatel

For customers who don’t plan on using a phone for streaming videos or music, MetroPCS has several “basic” or "flip" phones available.

There is the option for customers to keep their phone number and bring their phone over when they switch to MetroPCS. Before making the jump, prospective customers should make sure their phones are compatible with the MetroPCS Sim Card. In order to check, customers will need to check the IMEI number on their current phone. After this initial step, customers can enter their IMEI number on the MetroPCS site and find out if their phone is compatible.

However, MetroPCS does charge $10 for the SIM Card Kit. This kit includes the Nano SIM card, a Micro SIM card adapter, and a Standard SIM card adapter.

Add-On Services

MetroPCS has plenty of additional services that customers can add to their monthly plan, should they need it. Whether you need international calling capabilities or the ability to block unwanted callers, MetroPCS offers these types of services for a fairly low price. Some of the services include:

• Mexico Unlimited: pay $5/month
  • MetroPCS Global Voice: pay $10/month
  • 2 GB Extra Monthly Data: pay $5/month
  • Select Shared Calling (1000 minutes): pay $10/month
  • Name iD: pay $2/month
  • Lookout Mobile Security Premium: pay $3/month

The Bad

Data Speed Limits

One issue with MetroPCS is that it advertises all plans as being "unlimited" regarding data.

In reality, a customer’s data plan has a designated allotment of high-speed data. After this amount is exhausted, data speed is reduced for the rest of the payment cycle.

If traffic is congested, the customers using more than 35 GB/month are especially prone to reduced download speeds while streaming video and other actions that utilize large data amounts because of T-Mobile's "prioritization" system.

There may be times where MetroPCS is testing new services and customers gain temporary additional high-speed access, but as soon as the test is over, the access is revoked and customers will have access to the service as an additional purchase. Especially during congested times, MetroPCS customers may notice their speeds being reduced vs. those on the T-Mobile network directly through T-Mobile.

The Bottom Line

MetroPCS offers a straightforward service to those wary of enrolling in a bigger-name carrier network while providing excellent coverage to almost any area in the U.S.

Many customers appreciate the fact that getting a family plan equates to real savings for customers and that they can choose plans based on their current cell phone usage. Plus, there are plenty of iOS or Android smartphones to choose from. And if customers don’t plan on using apps or streaming music or videos, several basic phones will suit their needs.

However, keep in mind that the data limits set on specific plans may affect device speeds. After using the allotted amount of data, a cell phone may considerably become slower.

For those looking for a no-contract cell phone service provider, MetroPCS has plans that accommodate most needs and preferences. Whether you're looking for a basic prepaid plan or for unlimited talk, text, and data to Mexico, MetroPCS is worth a try.

MetroPCS customer reviews are mixed, though, so a higher-ranked carrier is worth looking into.

View Best Cell Phone Providers

2.9

Brian Barbour

March 10th, 2020 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They started the portrait over process without any acknowledgment from us. We decided we didn't want to go to metro PCS. Walk out of the store with iPhones deactivated and found out when we got home.

Wilgens Paul

March 5th, 2020 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ive been with metro since I first owned a phone. They are reliable and affordable compared to many other service providers

Natalia Correa MDTribe

March 5th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

MetroPCS was very affordable and they had good customer service. The only challenges I faced was losing signal in some locations.

Danielle Kelly

March 1st, 2020 Jamaica, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I visited a Metro PCS store on February 26th, 2020. The associate overcharged me for a SIM card and the activation of my phone. I was in total was supposed to pay $25 and any other tax included. I left the store paying $62.06. The associate, his name was Kumar, charged me $18 towards my phone bill and I did not even ask him to do that. That leaves $44.06 that I paid for just a SIM card and the activation. His reasoning for this charge is because since Metro PCS is under T-Mobile (they always were) the prices changed. I paid $20 for a SIM card. That is absurd. I also never received a receipt from the store or any text messages on my purchases to notify me that it was authorized. When I called customer service to ask why I was charged $44.06 for a SIM card and the activation, I could not receive the six-digit codes they were sending me to get into my account. No matter what they did, I could not receive the code. So there was nothing they could do at the time. While I was on the phone with the 4th representative I talked to, I checked my blocked numbers list and saw that the 611 number was blocked on my phone. The phone was brand new so I did not understand why the number was blocked. Meaning, the associate intentionally blocked their number on my phone when he was activating it so I would not receive any messages from 611. I unblocked the number and finally the representative was able to send me the six-digit code and look into my account. The representative saw that I was overcharged and said that I need to go back to the store and get my refund. The representative also gave me a $20 credit to my account (which I appreciate). The representative further explained that what the store did was fraudulent and that it was alarming. He also said that he was going to file a complaint against the store for overcharging me. The next day, on February 27th, I went back to the same Metro PCS store that I went to the previous day politely asking for my money back. Kumar started to get belligerent and proceeded to yell at me while I was on the phone with a customer service representative. The customer service representative told Kumar and me that the SIM card was supposed to be $10 and the activation fee was supposed to be $15 plus tax. Even after that, Kumar was reluctant to give me back my money. After going back and forth with him still screaming at me, with the customer service representative still on the phone, the representative said that he’s supposed to give me a $17 refund. After that, he gave me $17 in cash and I left the store. After I left the store, I was still on the phone with the representative because she heard everything that happened. She asked me if I wanted to file a complaint against the store and Kumar and I agreed. I have been with Metro PCS for 8 years and I never had a bad experience with one of their stores until today. I know Metro PCS is a great company for saving money, but Kumar does not represent them whatsoever with his behavior. Before he even helped me with my activation and my SIM card, Kumar was yelling at a previous customer because he was asking questions about his phone. As soon as I addressed the situation, Kumar became hostile towards me.

Shanron Gilliam

February 26th, 2020 Killeen, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awesome, no issues you what you pay for and more.

Seth

February 21st, 2020 Managua, MN

Thru my research on companies and receiving quotes I have found this company to be less than what you pay for. Cheap may be an understatement. Quality doesn’t match there price

Bettye Chambers

February 14th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had trouble with metropcs in paying my bill, their web sight would not accept my payment but when I went to the store it would accept it but I would have to pay 3 dollars and I refused .

Andrew Haas

February 14th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst Customer Service! Their company policy is to tell you they cannot help you with any problem. Do yourself a favor and pay more for a real cell phone service provider.

MOHAMMAD YAQUB

February 12th, 2020 West Haven, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Though i like metro, i hate to say but it has the worse service if you drive uber.

Kurt Hammer

February 11th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

good price but the coverage is not the best

terryjamison

February 7th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

metroPCS has amazing prices and the staff is very welcoming and helpful. a very judge free zone!

Makayla Manus

February 7th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had MetroCPS for about a year and they had such great service and great customer service.

CARLOS C LUZUNARIS

February 6th, 2020 Geneva, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

hello my name carlos luzunaris from geneva. ny owner of Dragonfly Transportation . over a month ago a wrote a review giving Metro pcs a one star rating because you cant give it a zero star , i was complaining .about there smart rides and how they dont work properly on impalas 2003 and 2004 ,they had told me that there were goin to take care of the problem that they were goin to switch them with the new one that they have so ! they said at that time that they order them and that it would take 3 to 4 weeks , 5 weeks later i go back to see were we stand and to pick them up ! and they give me all the run around ! so leave the store and give the the worst review posible cause last time i did that they got to work ! right so i did the same this time so i could get my smart rides fix or change !! can you belive that when they read my review they called me to tell me that they got two new smart rides for me ! so i said great when can i go pick them up ! and what they told me im talking about the big man ! the in charge of all of the stores in geneva, NY told his maneger to tell me to change the reviews that i had giving them and that ones i do that to call them back and they would check first to see if i changed my review and then they would proceed with changing my smart rides !!!!!! can you belive that shhhh !!! i personaly dont recomend those smart rides for the chevy impalas . cause right now because of those smart rides my speedometer doesnt work and my temperture gauge doesnt work im using a cell phone with a speedomete app so i could know how fast im goin . because i told these people from the begining that those smast rides makes all needle and lights on the dashbord go crazy !! so if you get one of them beware ! cause they would also get very hot ! they never gave me a chance of using one of the new ones they say they got [email protected]@####

GG

January 28th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am extremely frustrated with the customer service I have received! I wanted to suspend one line on my account for a week but instead it was canceled and they had to charge me all the activation fees again and I lost that number. I have been a Metro PCS customer for 3 years with 4 lines on my account and my phone was in need of an upgrade bad! It was the same phone I signed up with and when I try to upgrade they tell me I have to pay full price on the same phone new customers get for free! That doesn't seem right to reward people who have NOT been loyal paying customers but turn around and charge the loyal paying customers full price! I went to 4 different locations thinking it was the store itself but sure enough it wasn't! I would never recommend Metro PCS to anyone! I am in the process of switching to another carrier.

Barbara Matula

January 27th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You get what you pay for. The phone and plan costs are great but as far as service it is horrible. I was only a customer for 2 months for this reason

SkylarPickens

January 17th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

metro pcs is the way to go! they are super reliable with low prices and high speed data!

russell

January 16th, 2020 , FL

always greet when i walk in. they suggest the best out of the best and need a pay raise

Wislane Noel

January 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

I have metro pcs through t mobile and I can’t complain coverage is good and well

Destiny Wyche

January 10th, 2020 Tampa, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company has always been willing to work with me and my family since we became customers. They not only help with choosing a plan, but also give information about which products to buy. Also, they have great deals.

gayana innocent

January 9th, 2020 Deerfield Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been with Metro for almost 8 years. I love it, I wouldn't trade my service for anything. The deals are great and reliable connection everywhere.

Kelsey Rosier

January 8th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

MetroPCS has always been there for everybody. They have good deals when it comes to having more than one line.

Olmanika Milfort

January 7th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am a customer of the Metro by TMobile phone company and I love it. Very affordable, the people really care about your purchases and the customers. I have unlimited data for an affordable monthly rate.

Francisco

January 6th, 2020 Broadview, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Affordable prices and you get decent value

Federico Lombardi

January 6th, 2020 Spring, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I never had any issue, I have coverage everywhere and it's way cheaper than the other companies.

Sarah Marfo

January 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very affordable and not bad for the price. My family of 4 pays 115 for 4 lines. The service is pretty fast and we don’t much problems. People just make things seem worse off the what it really is. Metro is great.

Roman Christiansen

December 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Is a great service provided. MetroPCS made getting service very easy and the employees were helpful.

Nita

November 8th, 2019 Elyria, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Metro PC is a good company they give their customers a monthly price that does not change I think that is awesome.

Basilio Rosales

November 8th, 2019 Newark, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I never have problems with themil I call to ask a question they answer me with the upmost professionalism

David Amendola

November 8th, 2019 South Weymouth, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very poor consistency in plan billing and data rates, changing without notice and blaming customer when discrepencies are pointed out.

Doug

November 8th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After 40 years I left ATT for Metro and realize I should have done the move years ago. Metro is daylight/sunshine to ATT dark/gloomy confusion.

Larry

November 1st, 2019 Haslet, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently signed up for service and bought 4 new phones from them. It turns out I don't get a usable signal either at my house or at my office. When I reported it to them, they made excuses...there was a cell tower down that served my area, they were in the process of upgrading a cell tower in my area, etc. I trusted that once the cell tower issues were resolved, my signal issues would clear up. Not the case. But they strung me along believing that was the case until it was too late to return the phones I bought from them for a refund. And they refuse to unlock them until I've had 180 days of continuous service with them. So my choices are A) switch providers, which will leave me with 4 unusable IPhones, or B) pay $150 a month for the next 4 months (I've already had it two) for phone service that doesn't allow me to make or receive calls from my home or office.

Johnathan Tulloch

October 30th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

To make it short and to the point they're a fair company. Their deals are solid I haven't seen better deals anywhere else. The customer service I've recieved was very outgoing felt like I was talking to a friend instead of a forced worker. Overall the company is solid in my eyes would always recommend.

DysphoricRage

October 23rd, 2019 Caldwell, ID

Metro is known for their instant or switch rebates that cover the price of most of the phones they offer. However, there is some serious discrepancies over whenever or not all the rate plans they offer qualify for the promotions or just the unlimited rate plans only. I've spoken with the Representatives that run their Facebook and Twitter accounts and have been told multiple times that there is no rate plan restrictions. However, every single authorized dealer location I've inquired with, and there has been many, state that you must sigh up for an unlimited plan to receive any of the rebates. Needless to say I am not a customer nor will I ever be one because of their extremely questionable business practices.

Dow

October 22nd, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been with Metro for years now and have been a loyal family customer always paying on time, etc. *Very* disappointed to find out recently that Metro continued to charge us for an optional feature on our plan for around a year or so *after it had been discontinued* by the company. Customer service confirmed this over the phone. Even though we obviously hadn't used the feature during the latter part of its existence, charging us for a ghost feature that no longer existed is just straight up unethical. When something like that is discontinued, as a company you should either notify the consumer directly or just prevent it from being charged in the future on the appropriate bills. When contacted, MetroPCS made a small refund worth approximately 20% of the overcharges that they had allowed to occur on our billing. Attorneys General . . . are you listening?

SJ WONG ORTIZ

October 14th, 2019 San Pablo, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The prices are good but the service sometimes suck s

Sue

October 9th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Reliable and dont ever have any problems.

Shirley

October 9th, 2019 Maple Heights, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

None of there employees know how to solve problems with my phone, several of them have screwed up my saved messages and now l cannot get any messages at all. Looking for a new phone company that has employees that know what they are doing and l have viruses on my phone that no one knows how to get ride of them.

Rossie Barquist

October 9th, 2019 Sacramento, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been with this company for years now, and I haven't had any problems.

Sergio Capetillo

October 9th, 2019 Norwalk, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Company is great. Customer service is execellent

Christopher M Colvin

October 2nd, 2019 Glens Falls, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i been waiting since aug 23 for a refund that never showed post office said they dont have it. they told me 2 days after labor day then it was sept 14 or 15 then the 23 now its oct 1. the corporate office number doesnt work called 2 different ones 2145705800 and 2142652550 neither has a person to talk to. we should get a civil lawsuit against them.customer service said its been escalated numerous times and nothings been done. they even wont give my full refund only 77.50 of over 100 spent. 30 activation fee plus tax not refunded

Courtney Flores

September 24th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It is a good company with no contracts to tie you down too. Their plans are affordable and they always have new phones coming out.

GEM

September 17th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service and price. Easy to add and remove additional products.

Raul Diaz

September 17th, 2019 Lemon Grove, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After being with Sprint for fifteen loong years, I received a heightening intensification on charges to calls to and from Tijuana, MX!!! I then switched to Metro because they had a hard to believe $5 calling plan to Mexico!! They also have the best price, for there are no invented fees or taxes whatsoever, PERIOD!!! It's $25-$30, depending on the promotion you choose, plus the $5 Mexico Calling Plan if you so choose one!! Period, that's it, NO Contract or deposit required!!! A good customer service department eager to help, and the quality of the sound seems no different than that of Sprint!!! Lastly, some plans come with a Netflix, Amazon Prime, or other hard to believe give away included at no cost to you!!! Try it!! You'll find it worth your temptation!!! I said by to large sum bills, and outraged totals!!! Never thought I'd love without Sprint!! Now I've been without a contract, and enjoying the money from regulatory fees and taxes on REAL Common Sense Optimum Bargain Shopping!!! I'm a real, 4 year Metro PCS Customer, and not getting paid one can't for my real life experience!! Thanks, and Enjoy!

Diana

September 17th, 2019 Independence, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great but would like better coverage in OK. Area.

Joan Cutlip

September 17th, 2019 Madison Heights, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I get good service, but don't care for the last phone they sold me

Ryan Davis

September 17th, 2019 Horn Lake, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the fact that I'm not on a contract and it has free unlimited data.

Kimberly J

September 17th, 2019 Memphis, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Metro pcs is great price can't complain and customer service is very excellent

laura o

September 17th, 2019 Sayreville, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have no problem with service. the only problem I had was going overseas

M.R. Georgianna

August 13th, 2019 Crestline, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently switched from MetroPCS (Now just Metro by T-Mobile), they were one of the cheapest on monthly but that actually wasn't true in the long run. Most of their stores are Not corporate owned and have to generate profits to stay in business besides what the company makes off of cell phone service rates. They used to have cheap phones, but with a broken screen it would take about thirty dollars in fees to activate a twenty dollar phone. I tend to go through about a phone a year, so it really wasn't all that bad, just annoying to pay such ridiculously high fees for activating a cell phone. The other downside is that it is extremely difficult to get a Metro phone and they are Not standard unlocked phones, short variety choice, etc. Trying to get a cheap phone and replace it is now pretty much gone. Their cheapest phone is now about $90, add in the now lowered fees of $20, and I can get the cheapest phone they have for almost $120 with taxes. Now I am with Verizon, they want automatic withdrawal to give the same rate, but that is fine. I find used cheap phones for backups or wait on sales and get a few cell phones, no more activation fees. No more limited phone availability, no more hassles because I can't remember an eight digit pin after another year of not having to switch phones. Swap the SIM card and it is done. I wish people would have pointed out how insane the SIM card thing was with MetroPCS before I joined, it really is extremely unreasonable and the only reason they have it like that is to generate revenue for the franchises they use to promote their business and such. You pay extra for that on the back end and most people won't think about it, but I despise the hidden costs and sideways angles at getting at my money. It is bad business and they should know better.

Karissa

July 22nd, 2019 Waco, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Although Terry was the only worker available he still made sure to acknowledge and service every customer who entered . I am a satisfied customer.