MetroPCS

MetroPCS

MetroPCS is a prepaid wireless service that was recently acquired by T-Mobile. There is nationwide talk, text, and data available through T-Mobile’s networks. It’s the sixth largest telecommunications network in the United States and uses CDMA technology. It was a good thing that MetroPCS was acquired by T-Mobile because MetroPCS decommissioned their CDMA network. They integrated their 4G LTE network with T-Mobile by second half of 2015.

The Good

• Great family plan
  • Basic phone options
  • No activation fees

MetroPCS offers a variety of affordable service plans for their customers to choose from. The family plan offered the best savings on the market for non-contract phones. A family can simply get an unlimited data plan or share the same data plan between multitudes of different lines. There are no overage fees or contract fees for MetroPCS and their service.

Currently, MetroPCS offers a number of Google Android phones and a number of simple "basic phones" that are available to be purchased. The basic phones do have access to data, but lack the advanced capability of the Google Android phones. There is even an Alcatel data tablet that can be used among phones as part of a data plan.

Another selling point for MetroPCS is the fact that they do not charge service or activation fees to get started. MetroPCS also has a sound business strategy in place. The merger with T-Mobile was structured with customer experience in mind. Two of the best customer care providers, backed by T-Mobile's great 4G LTE network, are in a great position to provide great coverage and quality customer service for clients.

The Bad

• Limited phones available
  • Quality of coverage
  • Data limits

One problem customers have expressed are in regards to the lack of phones available with MetroPCS. MetroPCS seems to be pretty far behind in terms of offering different operating systems to its clients. There are no iPhones currently offered alongside MetroPCS's data plans and services. There is also no BlackBerry phone available for customers.

MetroPCS is also lacking in the number of tablets and other products that customers can purchase. There is one tablet available from Alcatel, but Alcatel's products are not reviewed well by customers with other phone companies and there isn't much information available.

Another common complaints surrounds the quality of coverage in certain areas. In order to enjoy your MetroPCS data plan, you are going to need to live in a major urban area or somewhere with a lot of cell phone towers set up to provide 4G LTE service. With the T-Mobile merger, MetroPCS should be improving their 4G LTE coverage in the near future.

One issue with MetroPCS's service is that they advertise all of their plans as being "unlimited" in terms of data. The first two basic plans are great, but they have a data limit where data throttling starts. Data throttling has even been reported with the unlimited plan. The data plan with the two basic service levels, while advertised as unlimited, is not actually unlimited.

The Bottom Line

MetroPCS offers a unique service to those fearful of enrolling in a big-name carrier service. A majority of customers appreciate the fact that getting a family plan equates to true savings for customers. If you get five additional lines with MetroPCS, you can save up to $300 per year. This margin of savings is vastly superior when compared to competitors in the pre-pay and contract phone industry.

There are a few issues with MetroPCS that arose as part of the process of completing the merger with T-Mobile. There are not that many phones available with MetroPCS. The technology selection is extremely limited. That being said, customers know what they are getting with their plan and with their phone from the start.

31 MetroPCS Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

July 26th, 2017

800 # not working. Finally I access a costumer representative, he was rude and annoyed yours for asking for the 800 # for the second time ( 800 373 2876) and go figures the number was disconnected. The worst cell company.

July 25th, 2017

My phone on 2nd line got stolen, trying to buy a phone at store they want $15 extra for activation fee on an active line! can avoid activation if phone is bought on line, but for a $19 phone they charge you $89 , then maybe they send you the difference in 3 months!!! Big scam ad run around no wonder they are refered to as metro piece of sh.....

July 11th, 2017

Cell reception is top notch. Call quality is excellent. Data speeds are among the fastest out there. Plans are cheap. Only $50 for unlimited data plan.

July 10th, 2017 Humble, TX

This company is awful! Don't expect to be able to send texts or make calls. It's not happening.

July 6th, 2017 Sanford, NC

This has to be the worlds worst.Unbelievable worst experience one could ever hope for.Not only in the stores that they have the customer service is like talking to a stick.I really do not know how they stay in business.This rating is beyond terrible.

July 4th, 2017 Longview, TX

I have never had so much problems with a phone provider. It took a hour for me to be able to speak with someone. All the local stores I called either didn't answer or phone went straight to voice mail. The MY Metro app kept rejecting my card to add data and then suspended the service over $5 that didn't even go threw. This will be the last month I use this phone.

July 4th, 2017

I travel the state of California often (From Northern to Southern) with no problem in Urban Areas.(The Bay Area to Los Angeles) My only issue is the coverage/reception while in the rural areas between these Urban Giants. As soon as I get outside of San Jose I experience a lot of call drops and poor reception. (Traveling South Bound) That experience continues until I reach The San Fernando Valley/ Santa Clarita. That's a 350+ miles of nothing/or close to nothing coverage loss. Will like to see improvements of Metro PCS's services, because I'm a long time customer who loves my carrier. I recommend Metro PCS to Majority of my family and friends. Hands down the ratings of this company doesn't give the correct projection output. Metro should be ranked amongst the top Giants. I will do my part to promote, but need Metro to fulfill it's part and fix the small discrepancies. Overall I'm with Metro Til the Very End.

July 1st, 2017 Pittsboro, NC

Their coverage for us is just fine. Our free J3 Galaxy phones are inexpensive but work fine and is more than I need with more features than I expected. Love this company and we save over $800 a year with our two phones over Verizon. Plus Metro PCS has three offices in our town (and looking to open a forth) were we can go in person if we have a problem. Verizon has just one.

June 28th, 2017

I pay $50 for 5gb, I get 8gb as a promotional offer. I am convince they give you the 8-so you won't bitch you aren't getting all 5gb, because the signal doesn't connect to the service half the time. Another 25% is lost being on edge speed. Their response to my complaints? 'we are a young company it's taking time to work out the bugs' It's my understanding they are using t-mobile towers. I've had t mobile. I loved it. Hated to switch, they had no coverage where I moved. So how does that excuse apply to my problem? Of course it doesn't its a canned response. While I have been writing this review is been constantly not connect to the network. I'll have to wait to post it. Oh, and we are switching to Verizon.

June 18th, 2017

Worst customer servicer ever. charges money for every single thing that is done, for example changing phone number or paying bills. Worst online site ever as well. You can never get anything done, always saying they are experiencing a technical issue.

0 1

June 14th, 2017

Went to the location at 69th street in upper Darby and was disappoint by the lack of knowledge the store rep has. I ended up walking out with nothing and went to cricket where the process was smooth and easy. I got my hassle free phone from them and I'm very happy.

June 12th, 2017

I'm in San Bernardino CA. Service is absolutely horrible. It's same as Sprint. I gotta outside to make a call. Any video just buffers. I drive all over SoCal for work is reason I switched to tether to WiFi. It's a little hard to do with weak connectivity. I'm going back to Cricket. Rarely ever a problem, similar to ATT which I had prior but almost double the price. If your in SoCal, don't waste your time with Metro PCS

June 3rd, 2017

I loved METROPCS until i didnt. Was overdue an uograde phone, yet was limited to in store phones only. COULD NOT get the local stores to even order a phone. Called CS and they referred me back to local stores 3 times. They lost a good customer over not making a new phone PURCHASE possible.

May 20th, 2017

After auto pay snagged my payment 3 days before the due date, I received this inappropriate "alert" via text: You've used 28GB of high-speed data this month on your MetroPCS plan. If you exceed 30GB you may temporarily experience slower speeds at locations and times when competing network demands occur until your next cycle date. Learn more at...and they provide a link to justify and extenuate. With their mediocre coverage quality in my area, I don't need this annoyance. I do need to qualify this by saying that they're a better company overall than Sprint, at least where I am. Still, if you're charging me 3 days early, take care of my data appropriately. That's not too oh to ask. ...and then they provide a link to discribe their data practices. Fine. But this is a billing and data cycle issue.

2 0

May 19th, 2017 Charlotte, NC

They should give u your full 30 days regardless when you bill is due. for example if you pay your bill in the 20th of a month and u miss the 20th of next month..but pay it on the 8 of the following month ur bull should not be due to weeks later..but on the due date that u paid it.

2 1

May 18th, 2017

Im in Lake Providence LA with NO SERVICE with Metro or T-Mobile. Live Chat did something to my phone so that I can not even make a wifi call. Run duck or hide from this company.

May 16th, 2017

I am totally happy with the price of my plan, it saves me $90.00 each month. Also my new Coolpad Catalyst cellphone, only costs $19.99 with a rebate coming. I am happy with my Coolpad Catalyst, a phone new to me but needs my needs, the camera and pixel rate could be better. Other then that, the Customer service was decent, time was taken to explain, phone and plan to me.

May 13th, 2017

Ms Emily u r the best... Metro pcs made me happy today as always I give u a A+ on good customer service today.. Best prepaid service ever...

April 15th, 2017

Overall its a good deal. It comes down to customer service right? Dont do your business with the one on Cheyenne and Rainbow in Vegas. Will make you second guess your whole decision. AT&T wasn't so bad afterall!

March 21st, 2017 Decatur, GA

Metro PCS sold me a bad phone. The LG K10 never would work right. You had to plug it in to get the screen to light up or take the battery out and plug it back in. They do not stand behind their products and I was told the phone was mine and I could buy a new one. Absolutely no customer service.

2 0