Boost Mobile

5.0

Boost Mobile is a prepaid wireless service that is owned by Sprint. They are headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas with Sprint and their brand headquarters are in Irvine, CA. Boost Mobile focuses only on cellular phone service, meaning that they have no tablets or cellular modem. However, it is possible to turn a phone into a mobile hotspot, but this feature is pretty expensive, costing $5/day. Boost Mobile was designed to spark sales within the teen and young adult demographics. Boost Mobile makes it possible to listen to a ton of music, having music downloads available for their phone. Their phones and plan options allow for streaming which is a common practice with popular apps and other services. However, Boost Mobile does a pretty good job with customer care in an effort to solve any and all issues.

#1 T-Mobile Logo T-Mobile ›

7.0

Overall
Score

#2 AT&T Logo AT&T ›

6.9

Overall
Score

#3 Verizon Logo Verizon ›

6.9

Overall
Score

#9 Boost Mobile Logo Boost Mobile

5.0

Overall
Score

The Good

• Large Android selection
  • Supports older technology
  • Great features

Boost Mobile places a heavy emphasis on their Android selection. They have over 32 of the best Android phones that are on the market. The Samsung Galaxy and other major brands that feature the KitKat and HoneyComb versions of Google Android are available for Boost Mobile customers. Boost Mobile is one of the most popular carriers of the Android operating system and their service makes for a smooth phone experience.

Boost Mobile also still supports the iPhone 4. This is a great entry-level phone if you want an iOS driven phone. Other companies had either discontinued the iPhone 4 or only provided the SIM card to use it. Boost will likely continue honoring the iPhone 4 as long as Apple still continues to ship it.

While Boost Mobile doesn't sell individual mobile hotspots, it is possible to turn your phone into a hotspot for a day. While this feature is expensive, it is great if you are going to be in an airport or traveling somewhere without regular Internet access.

Customers also enjoy Boost Mobile's wallet feature and have viewed it as a good investment. Many people who might not have the credit for a regular bank account can use their Boost Mobile wallet to deposit their paycheck. It is also possible to pay your monthly phone bill with your Boost Wallet. The Boost Wallet is also compatible with PayPal and other online payment technologies.

Another great feature of Boost Mobile is their cell phone insurance. Boost Mobile has made it affordable to insure your phone from accidents. Many contract phones cost more than the price quoted on Boost's website.

Current customers have also expressed appreciation for scalable international plans that Boost Mobile offers. While these are included in some data plans provided by other carriers, the scalable plan makes it easy for the Boost Mobile user to match the services with their individual needs. For $5 a month, you can call people on landlines in Canada and Mexico and text freely in these countries. The higher end service levels let you call and text people in as many as 70 different countries.

The Bad

• Limited operating systems
  • Daily hotspot fee
  • No tablets

There were some limitations with Boost Mobile's service. For instance there are not that many phone operating systems available. If you are interested in BlackBerry or Windows phones, Boost Mobile is not going to work for you. Windows phones, while not hitting the market like some other operating systems, are great for PC users. Windows 8 and 10 makes it possible for clients to "integrate" their computing, tablet, and phone experience.

There have also been concerns regarding the daily hotspot fee. Boost Mobile does not provide tablets or mobile hotspots, but the hotspot feature makes it possible to turn your phone into a hotspot. Compared to other carriers, the $5 per day price was a little bit on the pricey side. Many people like to turn their phone into a hotspot on a daily basis. Boost Mobile's hotspot feature costs almost as much as, if not more, than the other hotspot charges offered by Verizon, T-Mobile, and other contract providers.

As of right now, Boost Mobile does not sell tablets along with their phone services. Most of the other non-contract and contract providers offer data plans for tablets, making it easy for a user to take their product "on the go."

Another thing prospective customers should look into is the international texting option available through Boost Mobile. If you only wanted texting, there isn't a plan to send text messages only. If you want to send a text message to someone in another country, you will have to pay ten cents for every text message that you send. A text conversation could end up costing a lot of money, even though text messages from another country are free to receive.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Boost Mobile provides a quality service for a niche customer-base. Even though there are no BlackBerry and Windows phones, there is a large number of Android phones available to choose from. Some customers also like the fact that they still carry the iPhone 4, which some contract carriers have dropped.

Since Boost Mobile is providing a relatively basic service, there are limits to what technologies they interact with. There are no tablets, and most carriers of contract and non-contract phones do offer tablets. There also isn't a family plan with Boost Mobile. Family plans are a great way to attract customers by lowering the monthly cost of service, but at this time, Boost Mobile does not provide that option. The hotspot issue has also kept some customers from using Boost Mobile's services. The $5 daily hotspot fee is one of the most expensive in the industry.

1.5

Bill Crockett

January 5th, 2018 King George, VA DETAILS

I PURCHSED A BOOST MOBILE PHONE FROM THE BOOST MOBILE WEBSITE AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT.. I HAD IT MAILED TO MY HOUSE. TWO WEEKS LATER ACTIVATED THE PHONE. AFTER ACTIVATED I REALIZED THE PHONE DOESN'T WORK @ MY HOUSE. IT SAYS NO SERVICE. I CALLED BOOST MOBILE FROM ANOTHER PHONE AND WENT THROUGH SEVERAL AGENTS WHO DID TECHNICAL SUPPORT & TRIED TO GET THE PHONE TO WORK WITH NO SUCCESS. THE EVEN CONNECTED ME TO APPLE TECH SUPPORT. NO ONE CAN RESOLVE THE ISSUE. THE ISSUE IS THAT THEY HAVE BAD OR NO SERVICE @ MY HOME. I CALLED IN AGAIN & WAS TOLD TO BRING THE PHONE TO A BOOST STORE SO THEY CAN UNLOCK IT. THE STORE WAS HELPFUL BUT CAN'T UNLOCK THE PHONES. THEY HELPED ME WITH CALLING BOOST AGAIN. THEY TOLD THE REP ON THE PHONE THAT THEY ARE AWARE OF POOR OF NO SERVICE WHERE I LIVE. THE REP TOLD ME THAT I WOULD HAVE TO KEEP THE PHONE WITH THEM FOR 12 MONTHS AND CONTINUE TO PAY FOR IT BEFORETHEY WILL UNLOCK IT. I ASKED TO RETURN IT. THEY SAID YOU ONLY HAVE A WEEK TO RETURN IT. I DIDN'T ACTIVATE APON ARRIVAL AS IT WAS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT. IT WAS A PRE PAID IPHONE THAT I PAID $149 FOR. ITS CRAZY FOR THEM TO THINK I SHOULD KEEP SERVICE WITH BOOST WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK @ MY HOUSE. ALL OF THE REPS WHER EXTREMELY RUDE.

Tom Packard

December 1st, 2017 Charlotte, MI DETAILS

I have been a long time customer of Boost ( over five years) I had a single line plan and decided to upgrade to a Family Plan as Boost is always inviting you to do so and my sons needed to have phones. This has been the biggest nightmare that I have had with a phone company in my life and I have had cell Phones since 1992. incorrect billing , taking several payments out in the same month causing bank fees after taking to eight reps. somehow in there eyes I screwed up. took eight reps to finely say my phone was not eligible to be moved over but they did do it in the end and refunded a portion of my money this took eight people and at least six hours of my time after I bought the new phones and tried to add them to a family plan. Tried to say my bank screwed up , was told they did not take some of the money when I had the bank account up and was looking right at the withdrawals the took. tried to pass the buck we did not do it contact the bank etc. The info clearly stated Boost mobile took the money out of my account. Three times in November but that was not there fault according to the Supervisor . Never work with such arrogant people everyone makes mistake but this was a total nightmare eight different reps. in a month just to get a family plan is totally unacceptable.I was told by a supervisor I would be called back in two days or e mailed gave him my work number and e mail , never heard from him there is way more but I think you get the picture. At one point the even accused me of going to a Boost store and they had screwed it up when clearly I had done this on the phone with Boost directly.

Bee V.

November 26th, 2017 Sheboygan, WI

According to Boost Mobile's promotional offer, in order to receive the $100 credit to my Boost Mobile account, (1) I was to purchase a new Apple IPhone 6 32 GB Space Gray phone at boostmobile.com (2) Activate the phone by signing up for the monthly plan and pay the monthly charge by April 15, 2018 (3) Make my monthly payment within 50 days of activating the phone (4) Receive a $100 credit on my Boost Mobile account within four weeks of first month's payment. I did not receive the $100 credit as advertised on Boost Mobile's website. I bought a new Apple IPhone 6 32 GB Space Gray at boostmobile.com and activated the phone at a Boost Mobile store within 3 to 4 days of receiving the phone in the mail. When it got to about 3 days of paying for my next bill, I called up Boost Mobile's customer service to see why I did not receive the $100 credit to my Boost Mobile account. After putting me on hold a few times, it turns out that because I activated the phone at a Boost Mobile store and not online, Boost Mobile was not going to honor their $100 credit promotion. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! WHERE ON YOUR WEBSITE DID IT STATE THAT THE PHONE HAD TO BE ACTIVATED ONLINE?! It seems that when Boost Mobile made their so-called promotional offer, they forgot a little detail stating that this is only for “online only.” I wrote a 1-star review at boostmobile.com about this issue, but guess what??? My review was taken down and the last time I checked on Boost Mobile’s website, they now have added the "online only" to the Apple IPhone 6 32 GB. Boost Mobile must have realized their mistake and changed it, but I still did not receive my $100 credit to my Boost Mobile account. That is why I am on Best Company writing about my experience with Boost Mobile. Boost Mobile have cheated me out of my $100 credit and they should be ashamed for what they have done. I am done with Boost Mobile and I have decided to join up with one of Boost Mobile’s competitors on a different network. I will surely spread the word to my family, friends, relatives, co-workers, and anyone that is thinking about becoming a Boost Mobile customer to not join. Instead of making it right and losing out on just $100 credit and receiving good praises, a great review, and continuous good remarks to my friends, families, relatives, etc., and have the potential of receiving more customers, Boost mobile will lose even more money in the long run from my experience.

Felisa Hyde

September 18th, 2017

Three days after opening up two accounts with boost, i recieve a text from boost stated that, i will recieve my next month service will be free, i went in on site to recieve credit, the customer service person had no idea what i was talking about so i show her the text, she stated i should call boost, i did, then i was rerouted back to site, false advertising,,,,

nidal

July 6th, 2017

i have problem international calling , three weeks have the same problem , calling customer service every three days , troubleshoot phone , wresting one hours every time , says technical will call you in 48 hours no one call , last month have the problem call with one number , today i cant call any number , i have service 15$ with 180 mins free , why why , when i ask my account number they give it to me , i can understand that why you losing customers , coz bad service i think , thanks boost .

Sharon Thielfoldt

September 25th, 2015

I totally agree with jay conboy, I have never had a company where you can't call and get someone on the phone..nothing but problems...you send them a payment then they message you and say it didn't go through so a day later I make another one DUH now I check my bank account and yup theres 2 payments. Get some live people that we can talk to

Judy Bates

September 1st, 2015 Longview, WA

I ordered a preowned Samsung S 3 on July 302015. I never received the phone. After about 20 calls to Boost Mobile and Fedex, I finally was told the phone was delivered 2 weeks later to the wrong address. I am still waiting for my refund! I would NEVER order a phone online from Boost Mobile. The WORST customer service ever!!

Susan Broughton

July 17th, 2015 Sulphur Springs, TX

I really think Boost is great

Jay Conboy

July 16th, 2015 New York, NY

My experience with boot was horrible. When i first joined, they charged me for 2 moths instead of 1, then had to fight for my free month that I was suppose to get. Trying to get in touch with customer service is almost impossible. They sent me a defected phone and on top of all my Inconvenience refused to give any type of credit or compensation. They told me they we are not responsible for defected phones that i need to contact the manufacture of the phone. Boost is the worst of the worst and wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. I was with them for three months only because they were paid for ( inc the free month ). I left boost, and still NO CREDIT OR COMPENSATION...

Alejandro Hernandez

July 14th, 2015 Highland, CA

bad signal ,poor cover,internet too slow ,bad experience

Carlos Alfonso Saenz

July 12th, 2015 Miami, FL

Been with them 2009 and I have never had a problem!!!

barbie turnmire

July 11th, 2015 Lenoir, NC

they was very bad i had like 3 months and after they done away with towers in caldwell and they would not work and no serivce on the phones and called and they told us we had to get another phone so we did and still would not work for us and they would not give us our money back or thing else we would not have them ever again it sucked very bad . . thanks Barbie Turnmire

francisco

July 10th, 2015 Denver, CO

bad company

lee

July 9th, 2015 Walla Walla, WA

these guys are great been very happy for years now wouldnt switch if someone paid me too.

Amy Guzman

July 9th, 2015 Lubbock, TX

I was a customer of yours for several years til within the last couple of months. I have changed to Tmobile.. As time went on.. you customer service reps became rude and unhelpful. your service stinks.. i would hardly get reception. Also, I can't tell you the number of times. I was unable to receive calls or msgs. I would call for assistance and it took several calls before I could get someone on the line who was willing to help instead of just say oh its your area. Also your in store rep's are even ruder. Do you not have an application process.. These people don't greet you as you walk in.. They don't know anything about the product's and service's they are selling. When I would ask about a phone or try to get a comparison on a couple of phones everyone would just memory.. smh are you kidding me. I don't know what happened to your company I went from being a 100% loyal customer.. to warning everyone i see not to do business with you. but i guess thats what happens when you become so large.. your customers don't matter anymore. Look my old account up... see how long i was your customer and then you didnt even fight to keep me.. boost mobile sucks.. Amy Guzman