MBPI

1.9

MBPI was established in 1981, and based out of Missouri. MBPI is one of the oldest companies in the car warranty industry with 36 years of experience. Part of MBPI's philosophy is "to seek out select, quality dealers in targeted geographical areas, and provide the highest possible level of service to those dealers."

#1 Endurance Logo Endurance ›

7.6

Overall
Score

#2 CARCHEX Logo CARCHEX ›

6.7

Overall
Score

#3 Protect My Car Logo Protect My Car ›

5.5

Overall
Score

#16 MBPI Logo MBPI

1.9

Overall
Score

The Good

• Customer support
  • Multiple protection plans

Customer Support

MBPI is an employee owned company, this makes the success of the company more personal to each employee. MBPI has an award winning staff that covers a great deal of customers, including 500 dealers. The staff have a combined service contract experience of over 100 years. This means that when a customer has an issue, the staff will be able to answer their questions as experts in the service contract field.

Multiple Protection Plans

MBPI offers several protection plans that cover all types of car issues depending on your circumstances. These varied plans allow customers to pick and choose what types of coverage they need for their vehicle. MBPI also offers varied service contracts that cover your vehicle regardless of the age or mileage. This can be very difficult to find in the industry as most car warranty companies limit the age and mileage they will cover:

• Service Contracts (Preferred and Extra): these two plans cover various services and roadside assistance
  • Tire and Wheel Coverage: covers costs associated with damage from nails, potholes, and other road hazards
  • OEM Coverage: covers the modern vehicle technology
  • GAP: this insurances waives the difference between your primary auto insurance settlement and the outstanding balance on your vehicle
  • Lifetime Powertrain: covers the powertrain for the lifetime of your vehicle
  • Total Package: covers all interior and exterior components to protect you from paying expensive repairs

The Bad

• Lack of transparency
  • Fees and exclusions

Lack of Transparency

MBPI is upfront about a lot of information, and is very thorough about what each package covers. A lot of companies are not as transparent with some of the information that MBPI is. It is important to have information available for customers who are shopping around for a car warranty company; however, MBPI is lacking some information that is pertinent such as warranty prices, warranty deductibles, cancellation fees, transfer fees, and their availability.

This lack of transparency makes it difficult for potential customers to compare services with other companies in the industry. It requires the customer to take out more time to find answers than necessary. It also makes it difficult for our team to rank MBPI's services fairly. We would like to see MBPI be more transparent with this information on their website.

Fees and Exclusions

While MBPI offers a great deal of services and coverage- they leave a lot to be desired. Their towing costs are high at $80 each tow. Some rental companies offer free towing services for a certain amount of miles, or tow at a much lower rate. Their rental car reimbursement is also quite low in the industry at $35 per day, and they are only willing to cover this expense for three days. Most of their packages only cover cars that are under ten years of age, and have less than 150,000 miles. This limits customers who have newer cars with relatively low miles. Once a current customer is over those requirements, they may have to find services elsewhere.

The Bottom Line

MBPI offers many great packages for automotive protection that potentially cover almost anything a customer could need. MBPI has over 36 years of industry experience, and has a great reputation for quality customer service; however, MBPI is lacking some transparency, and some of their services do not offer the same value as services with other companies in the industry. We would like to see more specific information regarding their warranty prices, warranty deductibles, cancellation fees, and transfer fees. For your car warranty needs, we recommend checking out some of the other car warranty companies on our list.

May 25th, 2017

They go the extra mile to avoid paying a claim and leaving you out to dry. Really disappointed I wasted my money on a company like this.

February 10th, 2017

I currently have an MBPI policy and my vehicle has been in the shop for almost a month. I have had a hard time getting a hold of them and on top of that I just found out not only am I going to have to wait at least another week to find out if they cover the issue. I am going to have to pay out of pocket if they say they don't cover the problem I am having with my transmission. I have had extended warranties in the past through AUL and had great experiences with them. Not only that but with my vehicle being in the shop for so long they refuse to give me a rental car for longer than three days. My advice to anyone who is looking for an extended warranty do not get one from this company the only reason they have been in business for so long is by leaving their customers out to dry.