American Auto Shield Logo

American Auto Shield

Is This Your Business?

3.4

LAST UPDATED: October 20th, 2021

American Auto Shield was established in 2002, and based out of Colorado. American Auto displays its commitment to customers by providing 24/7 customer service options through phone, and live chat.

American Auto Shield also shows devotion to its community by raising awareness and supporting charities such as Every Child's Hope, Make-A-Wish, Adopt-A-Family, and other great philanthropic efforts. American Auto Shield has also made excellent partners in the industry so that their customers are fully covered in more locations.

View American Auto Shield Reviews

The Good

• Multiple Customer Support Features
  • Flexible Vehicle Requirements
  • Protection Plans

Multiple Customer Support Features

American Auto Shield offers customer support 24/7 and through phone, and live chat. This is very uncommon in the industry, as most auto warranty companies only offer customer support during normal business hours.

Some warranty companies do not have the live chat option for support. Live chat is becoming a desirable option for customers who do not have the time or desire to speak on the phone, but don't want to wait for answers through email.

We really like that American Auto Shield understands the desires of customers and offers this form of support. The company also provides a way for customers to submit reports and claims online for added convenience. Its roadside assistance is also 24/7, which is a huge benefit for clients.

Flexible Vehicle Requirements

Many extended warranty companies only cover vehicles within a very limited max year and max mileage range. The average is approximately 15 years, with 175,000 miles. This allows warranty companies to pick and choose which cars they will cover. Older cars or cars with more mileage tend to have more issues than newer cars. It is less risky for these auto warranty companies if they restrict their vehicle protection plans to newer cars with lower mileage.

While American Auto does have restrictions, it is very generous. American Auto covers cars up to 25 years old with 250,000 miles. This makes American Auto Shield's service contracts available to more car owners. American Auto is a great choice for people with older cars with a great deal of mileage.

Protection Plans

American Auto Shield offers several protection plan options that cover different types of automotive issues. These extended warranties offer repair cost coverage for some malfunction and breakdowns once the factory warranty has expired. They do not cover normal wear and tear or damage caused in a car accident.

The vehicle protection plans a customer can choose will depend on how many miles their car has, the age of the car, and what the customer would like covered. Optional coverage may be added to customize an auto warranty, which is very convenient for customers who would like more coverage than what is offered in the basic extended warranty:

• Deluxe: covers cars up to 20 model years and 150,000 miles. Covers most major car components.
  • Platinum: covers cars up to 20 model years and 100,000 miles. Covers most major car components.
  • Diamond: covers cars up to 9 model years and 90,000 miles. Covers all but a small list of exclusionary parts.

American Auto Shield's powertrain coverage plans include the following:

• Powertrain: covers cars up to 25 model years and 250,000 miles. Covers engine, transmission, cooling system, and etc.
  • PT Silver: covers cars up to 25 model years and 200,000 miles. Covers engine, transmission, cooling system, and etc.
  • PT Gold: covers cars up to 25 model years and 200,000 miles. Covers engine, transmission, cooling system, and etc.

Each service contract for cars includes roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and trip interruption assistance. An American Auto Shield vehicle service contract may also be transferred if the vehicle is sold. An extended auto warranty can add value to your vehicle, which is nice for customers who decide to sell their car.

American Auto Shield clients can add coverage for luxury electronics, emissions, and the ability to use the repair shop's labor rate.

In addition to offering good vehicle service contract plans, American Auto Shield also offers service contracts for motorcycles, ATVs, and dirt bikes. These additional protection plan offerings make American Auto Shield stand out from other car warranty companies.

The Bad

Limited Online Cost Information

American Auto Shield supplies good information about its extended car warranties, including plan-type and coverage. It would be nice to see cost information. However, because the cost is based on vehicle make, model, and mileage, there is a lot of variability. The level of variability makes it difficult to offer helpful general information.

The Bottom Line

Should your car have a mechanical breakdown, an extended car warranty can save car owners money on that expensive repair. American Auto Shield offers good protection plan options, and covers more years and mileage that almost any other company in the industry. It shows a commitment to customers and community by investing in technological advances in the industry, and participating in philanthropic efforts.

While American Auto Shield could offer more cost information for each extended warranty, this is difficult due variation based on vehicle-specific information. American Auto Shield is worth considering, especially for those seeking a service contract for a motorcycle, ATV, dirt bike, or car. Before making a final choice, consider what American Auto Shield clients have to say about the service.

View Best Car Warranty Companies

3.6

Tracey Silco IL

I like Car Shield because I feel like they back me up when something goes wrong with my vehicle. They help so much financially as prices these days are through the roof. Gives me a peace of mind.

Carol Wenner Summerville, SC

Tried to cancel my husband's account, but found out it was with another Mepco affiliate. Kathy stayed on the line with me until she got me to the proper plae. She couldn't have been more helpful. Need more customer service reps like her.

Dave Williams Fort Worth, TX

The customer service rep I spoke to today was very professional and seems to be an asset to her company. She stayed calm even though I wasn’t at the time. Great job, Holly!!

CHARLENE CROSBY Lansing, MI

Packages offer limited auto services to my vehicle.

Paul Lewistown, PA

Always a pleasure to talk with. Knowledgeable and short hold time if any. Always articulate and easily understood and with a pleasant attitude. Their fees for what they cover are very reasonable but the peace of mind I get from them is priceless!

Glenn W Savage Upper Marlboro, MD

the prompt service quality, the way people communicate and the specific information I need

Bob Vasques Citrus Heights, CA

Good People open on Saturday also. Nice feeling to know i have some good people there to help when i really need someone.

Andrea Prince Houston, TX

Do not have no problems Jasmine great waiting on the adjuster to call me about my car to see what's going on with my car thank you for the awesome time I hope it be today

Jess Skubi Atlanta, GA

Carshield is denying my claim to repair a transmission. This is a Lexus hybrid which has limited service techs that can work on the car. Carshield is wanting an RDi (tear down) of the transmission to see what the cause is. The problem is transmissions are only built and rebuilt out of the Lexus Chicago locations. This is not done in Atlanta. So, Carshield advised I should go to another shop in the area recommended by them. These shops refer me back to the Lexus dealership since it is a hybrid. The bottom line is theyre saying well if you cant get it done we cant approve the claim even tho this is their process. They adjuster is denying it and refusing to proceed with sending out an inspector. I will continue to purse this claim as it is valid based on the contract agreement between Harris vs. Carshield.

Zequeira Jose Miami, FL

I was told the repair is not covered my mechanic said they were going to get back to him reference my transmission but 30 and take was not covered I thought that was part of the fuel system sales person very convincing we must read the small print

Gabriel Viera FL

I called today because for some reason it has taken over 2 weeks to get my claim approved and funds sent to my mechanic so he can start working on fixing my issue. My A/C compressor is not working and it is very hot where I live at which is in Miami, Florida. So I was told by the customer service representative that she will have this escalated and taken care of today. So far I have not heard back from you guys so I’m hoping that by end of day today that it will be resolved. As of now I can’t give you a rating more than 2 stars because nothing has be resolved as of yet and I have been waiting for over 2 weeks now. The customer service rep I spoke with today was very friendly and did apologize for the delay with my claim. I will change my rating as soon as my claim has been resolved but for now this is where I stand. Below I really can’t give any ratings because this has been my first claim since I joined American Auto Shield. But so far it hasn’t been a successful claim process. Thank you

James D Martin Mansfield, TX

We just got with this company, so we have not had any dealings so far. But the personal we have talked to have been wonderful in helping us get started. So far great service!

Rick Fisk Lake Zurich, IL

I had a great experience purchasing the warranty and felt it was a good product until I traded cars and got a new car with full warranty. The cancellation process was very frustrating because of willful ignorance on the part of the customer representative. What had been a good experience soured as I felt they sapped the last dime out of me in the cancellation process ignoring the policy language about a refund for for 29 unused days after cancellation.

Odell Cohens Jr Monroe, NC

I love what this company stands for and I have been a customer for over a year or so. I just recently put my jeep in the shop because it didn't pass emissions so I could get it registered and here it is over two weeks later 16 days to be exact no vehicle, no rental, or no courtesy car for my wife to get to and from. Finally, after numerous calls and you are more than welcome to check your email and phone call recordings and finally they are sending an Inspector to hopefully approve the job. I believe that this is unsatisfactory...it just doesn't take this long on behalf of the dealership and Carshield!

Ronald Myers Hemingway, SC

Recommend carshield to everyone who needed car warranty very respectful and helpful

Jerry Altamonte Springs, FL

My claim for transmission repair was initially denied due to a technicality. After numerous phone calls from me and from my mechanic, the claim was subsequently approved . The whole process was way more stressful than necessary had it been handled with the ease as advertised. I hesitate recommending Car Shield to anyone without first letting them know of my experience and what to be aware of.

Aaron G Neal Farmington, MI

I started a warranty coverage program with American Auto Shield (CarShield) and 3-4 months later I had an issue with my vehicle. I was driving and noticed the failure and immediately pulled over into a repair facility that I am familiar with. I left the vehicle and notified the shop the next day. The repair facility has been working with the Adjuster from CarShield and sent them an email stating that he's going to send the claim for engine approval and will contact the repair facility. They denied the adjusters request for approval based on their determination that I drove the vehicle excessively and this caused the damage to engine. At this point they are only committing to a partial repair of the timing chain which was the point of failure. This does not resolve my problem with a now damaged motor due to the timing chain failure. I have never spoken to an adjuster and upon calling CarShield to get some information they were very rude and not willing to help me at all. I was just being told that they will not approve anything more than they have already. Basically telling me it's my fault because I did not call a tow truck to deliver the vehicle to a shop that I was already about to pass during the time of failure. They even told me that this was very convenient as if I was lying. I explained to them that I was very close to home and pass this same shop everyday and when II immediately pulled over this is the location I was at and there was no need to involve a tow truck. I would not drive a vehicle with known damage. They are acting as if I knowingly drove the vehicle to the repair facility with damage instead of calling a tow truck. I was then told to contact American Auto Shield as they are the true policy holder. I spoke with them several times and was told that they realize that they did not complete an RDI (tear down of the motor) to conclude if the engine is actually damaged as a result of the timing failure. I called back the next day to get an update and then was told that they decided not to do that because of long term failure of the timing chain and basically it's still my fault. They have authorized on the repair for the timing chain components and that's all their going to cover. I explained again that the only way for me to discontinue operation was to jam on the brakes in the middle of a 50mph highway which they agreed would not be safe. But, you still drove the car (continued operation) and therefore they will not cover the engine. No matter what the timing failure has been deemed to cause the engine failure by the repair facility and they complete disregard that and will only cover the timing which does not resolve my problem. I have asked for them to be able to speak to the adjuster and I still have not received a call from him. They sated that he does not have to call me if he decides not to do so. Iwish to cancel my policy but have to wait until my issue gets resolved

Shante Mcclain Chicago, IL

Never got to use it to many red flags as far as what would be covered on my car due to mileage

Ifeanyi Ofili Dallas, TX

Staff friendly approach and response to customer's requests.

WmsFamily Williams Houston, TX

The objective of writing this letter to express my appreciation towards the excellent customer service delivered to me by your service rep this morning. I must compliment her on her concern about my issue and her prompt response. Wishing her all the best in her future endeavors. Calvin R Williams

Dorothy Fitzhugh Ft. Washington, MD

I have 3 vehicle plans with Car Shield, the service is just what they say it is. The customer service is polite, professional & helpful, I’ve referred 2 people I know and they have purchased the plan as well. I’ve sold one vehicle, the new vehicle I’m purchasing will also be put in the plan for xtra coverage.

Herbert Turner Jackson, MS

American Auto Shield made an adverse decision on the cause of damage to my vehicle that was not the case. The repair cost me $8,800 out of pocket for the repair of my car. Plan to cxl this false advertised coverage and inform others to stay away.

Luis Gilces Philadelphia, PA

I had a great experience although at the beginning I was a bit apprehensive he sells associate help me to relax and be accepting under terms and conditions of the contract.

William H. Clemmons, Jr. Washington, DC

They are paying for the replacement of my Jeep Grand Vehicle transmission. And also provided a rental vehicle while my vehicle was being repaired.

Terrie Morris Kansas City, KS

Well making payments is easy ! I havent had to file a claim yet but when I do I will give a star with how they took care of me. Right now I am making payments and that is very easy lol.

[email protected] Harvest, AL

you guys need more Bodies ,,,,,,, the biggest complain from the reapir shops is the TIME it takes to get RESPONSEs on repairs Many of the local dealers in Huntsville want take the product. Bentley Cadillac being one

Not so pleased Shreveport, LA

While the last interaction with your customer service representative (Shondola) was a pure delight. She even gave me a call back to update me on my status. That was more than any other individual even tried to attempt. The previous conversations with 3-4 other representatives was HORRIBLE. I was hung up on twice and given the runaround 2 other times. It took 2 months to actually get someone who was willing to help with the repair of my vehicle. All of this while I was not given transportation that would've covered the time that my vehicle was being repaired. I had to move the vehicle 3 times before the actual repairs were done. I am totally not satisfied with the service of your warranty and probably will not remain with your company. I have another issue with my vehicle that needs to be looked at but I just don't feel like going through the hassle of trying to initiate the repair.

Michael Vincent St Louis, MO

The customer agent was quite helpful , she explain how things work ,before we hung she as the qualifying question did I understand everything . I truly like that.

Liz Bustillo Kaneohe, HI

First and foremost, I really appreciated the "no pressure" conversation. The initial contact was casual and congenial. I was given enough time to consider the representative's offer.

John Bishop Raleigh, NC

On my first claim, for a water pump for my Corvette, it took Car Shield almost 4 weeks to pay the claim! I had to do without my car for 3 weeks, while it was sitting in the dealers service shop. Then, when Car Shield rep finally got busy considering the claim, he nickel and dimed it to death, for example, he actually argued about not paying for a bolt and nut that held the water pump to the engine block! I couldn't believe it. The dealers service department manager was made to wait 1.5 hours on the phone the first time he called on the claim. He said they were going to quit doing business with Car Shield because of their really bad service.

David St. John Bellefontaine, OH

Got the part and a better price than my dealer with a 12 month warranty. What I didn't like was the run around I received in the time it took to get the part to my dealer (a month and a half) with many phone calls and a threat to go to my local news and my lawyer.

tiffany tillery Norfolk, VA

She was very polite and helpful, and answered every question!

Christian L Dull Wilmington, DE

They have a very full coverage. Take care of the problem quickly. Are friendly when you call.

Bruce L. Merriweather Denver, CO

For the times that i have had vehicle situations CAR SHILED has provided a phenomenal service beyond compare.

Tessa C Maitland, FL

if i could give this company NO stars, i would !!! WORST customer service i’ve EVER experienced. I called American Auto Shield to cancel my extended warranty, that was it, they’ve been called trying to collect a payment when there was no payment needed for this month. So he said ma’am what are you going to do when your vehicle breaks now, well that’s not your concern! i was not rude, until he kept talking over me asking me personal questions about why i wanted to cancel it. telling me nobody cares that i have kids. i kept telling him i wanted to cancel it, he proceeded to tell me, to stop WHINING. told me life’s going to suck for me in a few months. absolutely disgusting.

Kyler Riverview, FL

Well, this was my first experience dealing with A.A.S. & lets just say that we didn't get off to a good or positive start! Granted, to be fair, apparently they had some kind of storm blow through the area this past weekend that knocked out a lot of their phone lines & whatever else. But this was one of the most excruciating experiences of my life having to deal with "trying" to get ahold of someone on the phone to start the claims process. I had this wonderful lady at Ford try for 3 days to get ahold of someone at A.A.S. to no avail, not to mention myself trying also. This past Friday the

Sukuna Bailey Clinton, MS

This ia my frist time to talked to customer service person very nelpful and gave me the right answer what i need to know and ask very polite on thw phone thank you

Rob C D Waldorf, MD

I purchased a warranty through approximately 8 months ago. Unfortunately, I'm highly disappointed in the service with American Auto Shield. I was assured by you that everything would be covered bumper to bumper through the Titanium Plus coverage. However, I called to verify if the transmission cooler line was covered. I was told yes, when the Buick Dealership called they told them it wasn't cover. I then spoke to Kevin, who stated that it was covered under warranty. The Dealership called once again and I was told that it wasn't covered. I once again called and spoke to Bernice, who once again for a third time stated that it was covered. I then spoke to a service advisor named Ben who then stated it was covered. I distinctly remember when you sold me this contract that certain items as small as rubber houses and fitments were covered. But that seems' far fetched' and furthest from the truth. I don't like to have the run around specifically if i'm paying for a product. Because i'm extremely pissed and unsatisfied and If something as small as hoses going to a transmission line that is less than a hundred dollars is not covered. What's going to happen when something major happens to my vehicle. I can only surmise that any other claim will be denied as well. This is absolutely the worst extended warranty I've ever purchased and I would never endorse this company to anyone. The service adjuster's are not experienced and rude, and the total lack of honesty with this product in the forefront speaks volumes. I will be cancelling this warranty. The rating of one star gives you too much credit. 04-21-20

Jonathan Mentor

An absolutely disorganized scam operation. My experience has been reported to the BBB and I will continue to warn current and prospective customers to be aware of the predatory practices and miscommunication executed by American Auto Shield. The nightmare of gaining clarity on the status of my claim, the number of curveballs and attempts to get out of their responsibility of getting a claim paid and the number of calls and lengths of holds with this vendor will leave me scarred for life! My mechanic shared their very similar nightmare of arguments, misinformation and shady paperwork maneuvers to get out from underneath my claim. The cherry on top of my holidays? Thanks to American Auto Shield I totally lost my car to a Mechanic’s Lien as they refused to pay my repair claim of almost $7k even after my mechanic repeatedly informed American Auto Shield claims adjusters that their claim denial reason was totally incorrect. Beware!

Steven Boulder, CO

They refused to pay a small claim because of the legal technicality that the shop didn't call them before doing the repair. The dirt boot that keeps the seals from leaking on the steering rack was torn and fallen off - letting dirt in that would cause seal failure and a very expensive replacement of the rack and pinion - which they would have to pay. I noticed the boot was bad when changing a tire. When I read their list of covered steering parts I, naturally, read the section on "Steering" and it did not list the boot, so I assumed it was not covered. RATHER THAN IGNORE IT AND LET THE EXPENSIVE PART FAIL SO THEY WOULD HAVE TO THEN REPLACE THE WHOLE THING, I went ahead and paid to replace the boot (WHICH SAVED AM AUTO SHIELD lots of money). Picking up the car, I noticed the last section of the covered parts (which is all the way at the bottom) listed boots for items covered above (which includes the steering rack) - so the boot was in fact covered. These cheap ______ (you fill in the blank) refused to reimburse me because "the contract says you have to get approval before the repair". I have the old boot to show them. They don't care. THEY WILL FIND ANY WAY TO WRIGGLE OUT OF PAYING WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO PAY - ON A TECHNICALITY. They did this EVEN THOUGH I SAVED THEM A TON OF MONEY AT MY EXPENSE RATHER THAN JUST IGNORE IT UNTIL THE ENTIRE RACK FAILED AND THEY HAD TO REPLACE THE WHOLE THING. I acted with integrity and saved them money, and they responded with selfish screw-me-on-a-technicality. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!

Patrick Kolarchick

American Auto Shield REQUIRES for the parts to be out on a bench before they will send an inspector out to check if the parts are in fact bad. Here are the problems this creates: The repair facility when calling for an inspector to come out are put on hold for over an hour. A busy repair shop (MIDAS) did not want to tie up a hoist or their limited room lot playing their game. That was last Thursday. Hence I called dealership, set appt. and I dropped the car off at dealer on Monday morning. It is now Wed afternoon and my dealership is still waiting for inspector to show up. The dealership was also on hold for over an hour yesterday with American Auto Shield before giving up and hanging up. They called me at 2:30 telling me they are waiting for an inspector to show up. There is no OK on car rental unless there is 4 hours of LABOR needed to repair part which cannot be determined at onset or even until day 3 or 4. Thus, I am without a rental car. My vehicle dealer said car could be tied up until Friday. The problem is an air conditioning evaporator core that could have been replaced in hours. It is a game. Be prepared to rent a car on your own wallet for a week.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I highly recommend American Auto Shield! The customer service is friendly and helpful. easy to work with the claims adjuster and they were fair and I got my car fixed in a timely manner.

Daniel McGinnis New Ulm, MN

Anytime I've needed anything it's a short time before they get back with you and I like that in a business. Prompt.

Danielle Johnson Washington, DC

Representative was great at providing the information that was needed and pointing me in the right direction.

SheWanda Blackman Killeen, TX

It speaking with a Car Shield representative it was my understanding that engine & transmission were definitely serviceable item. My car was taken in for power steering problem. However, it was later discovered that my engine needed servicing and that service claim was denied. The dealership reached out to discover that the American Auto Shield that service Car Shield system was hacked and not able to respond at the time. I’m still awaiting a call about the matter.

Della R.Quinn Coleman Plainfield, IL

My dislikes, takes too long to correct and error on there behalf. When you "The customer" had to pay out of pocket for repairs that was already covered by Auto Shield. Waiting for hours on phone to get my refund process back to me. Still WAITING!!

Gennadiy Mordovin Fayetteville, NY

I agree with THIS NO HONESTLY...BAD COMPANY. SOME MADE CLAIM NUMBER WITHOUT INFORMATION to you ...SUPRISE YOU HAVE....WHO AND WHY....Supervisor name KU can't explain why some made claim in waiting time and no inform COSTUMER About this... WE (me and service dealer from LAMACCHIA HONDA) CALL FOR CLAIM NUMBER 935074....from 10/09/19. THIS TIME AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD CLAIM DEPT. GIVE US this Number.... KU just coplain About he speak with me 15 minuts...I'm sorry About his time ( he can dring one more coffe)

Tina J Austin Riverhead, NY

I was fine she helped me with my billing question and also she helped me with my contract question

Jothia Crenshaw Atlanta, GA

Just started but Customer service rep very nice and helpful thank you

Sandra Roberson Houston, TX

I love speaking with the representative she gave me good news a good price