Best Company Guarantee USAA Auto Insurance Logo

USAA Auto Insurance

9.4

LAST UPDATED: March 2nd, 2022

If you or your parent or spouse is in the military, USAA Insurance is an excellent insurer to work with. Its mobile app and online account management make it simple to file claims, pay premiums, and print identification cards.

USAA also offers good coverage options, including coverage for rideshare drivers. USAA offers a wide variety of discounts, which you can benefit from as well. Beyond being a competitive insurance carrier, USAA has received many positive reviews. These positive reviews show USAA's dedication to offering excellent service and competitive rates.

Read USAA Reviews

The Good

• Positive Reviews
  • High Financial Strength Ratings
  • Good Coverage Options
  • Rideshare Coverage Available
  • Variety of Discounts
  • Easy to Work With

Positive Reviews

Best Company has received many USAA auto insurance reviews. An overwhelming majority of reviews are 4 or 5 stars.

Reviewers praise USAA for its customer service and competitive rates. Several reviews also reflect claims satisfaction.

With such a high level of customer satisfaction, you can be confident when working with USAA for car insurance coverage.

High Financial Strength Ratings

USAA has received high financial strength ratings, which means that the insurance provider is financially stable and likely to be able to meet its claims obligations.

High ratings are common among top insurers.

Good Coverage Options

USAA offers excellent coverage options. It's policies can include the following coverages:

• Comprehensive and collision coverage
  • Liability coverage
  • Personal injury protection (PIP)
  • Extended benefits coverage (added with medical payments coverage)
  • Uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury and property damage coverage
  • Roadside assistance
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Accident forgiveness (free after 5 years without any at-fault accident)

With so many kinds of coverage, you can easily find a good auto insurance policy that meets your needs.

Rideshare Coverage Available

In addition to offering the typical coverages for personal auto insurance, USAA also offers rideshare driver coverage. This coverage starts at $6 per month and can be added to your existing policy to bridge the gap in coverage.

Variety of Discounts

USAA offers many discounts. You can take full advantage of these discounts to save money on your car insurance policy.

USAA offers the following discounts:

• Safe Driver
  • Defensive Driving Course
  • Driver Training (for people under 21)
  • Good Student
  • New Vehicle
  • Multi-Vehicle
  • Annual Mileage
  • Vehicle Storage
  • Family Discount
  • Length of Membership Savings
  • Military Installation (garage vehicle on base)

If you buy a USAA car insurance policy and renters or homeowners insurance, you can save 10 percent on your renters or homeowner policy.

While this discount applies only to renters and homeowners insurance, you can still benefit if you need either of those insurances and an auto policy.

Easy to Work With

USAA has a reputation of being easy to work with and accessible. You can benefit from these features from start to finish when you purchase a car insurance policy from USAA.

You can get a insurance rate quote online, manage your policy, print identification cards, file claims through USAA's online claims center, and adjust your payment schedule. USAA even has a secure mobile app that you can use to view your auto identification card, request roadside assistance, report claims, and view the accident checklist.

With so many convenient and accessible features, working with USAA can be an excellent experience.

Additional Products and Services

USAA offers several other types of insurance products. You can find home insurance, life insurance, renters insurance and more.

You can also find financial services like loans and banking through USAA.

The Bad

• Must Meet Eligibility Requirements
  • Some Types of Coverage Not Available Everywhere

Must Meet Eligibility Requirements

If you want to buy car insurance from USAA, you'll need to become a USAA member. U.S. military members and veterans, pre commissioned officers, their spouses and children can all join. USAA does not charge a membership fee.

If you're not eligible for USAA membership, you'll need to look into other options.

Some Types of Coverage Not Available Everywhere

You'll need to work with USAA directly to understand specific offerings in your area. While many of its services are available widely, not all of its coverage options are. For example, accident forgiveness coverage isn't available in all states.

While this variation can be frustrating, USAA offers many good policy options and discounts that you can benefit from.

The Bottom Line

USAA is an excellent insurance company to work with if you're connected to the military. USAA car insurance reviews on BestCompany.com are overwhelmingly positive.

You'll benefit from good coverage options, which means you can create an auto insurance policy that meets your needs. Rideshare drivers can benefit from USAA's rideshare gap coverage. You'll also find competitive savings opportunities on your insurance premium and excellent service.

We recommend working with USAA to learn more about your options and car insurance rate quotes.

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

Jim Bullhead City, AZ

I have this insurance now and have had it since the last vehicle I have bought. They will bend over backwards to make sure you get the cheapest rate and best insurance. Their online app is easy to use and tells you everything. If you forget your bill they do not cut you off on the due date. They will work with you up to 30 days overdue. You could not get a better insurance company. Great all the time. Hard to believe but it is the truth. They will even tell you hidden things others will do to steal you away and then leave the decision to you. They are not pushy.

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

If you are lucky enough to qualify to use USAA, you are in luck. Not only are they probably the lowest cost provider of auto insurance you’re likely to find, their customer service is excellent. They are also a mutual company. Which means, at the end of the year you may get a rebate on part of the money you’ve spent for their insurance if their claims experience is low that year. This can mean anywhere from $20-$30, to as much as $100. It’s always easy to get ahold of somebody on the phone, it’s easy to make changes to your policy, and it’s easy to report a claim. They pretty much do everything right. Don’t even think twice, just get them.

Dana Hatfield Bullhead City, AZ

I currently have auto and renters insurance with USAA and believe tat I am getting a great product for the price. I use their SafePilot program and have received a discount every time I've renewed my policy so far. The customer service is exemplary, top notch. In short doable pricing, discounts, and great customer service, the total package!!

Elizabeth Havana, FL

I have used USAA for many years. I have not had to use it much, but once my car was damaged due to a hurricane and I was still evacuated in another state. A representative was able to go in person to check on my car and evaluate any damages.

Lauryn Parent Salt Lake City, UT

I was in an accident where the other driver totaled my car. USAA was extremely helpful and patient, as I was starting a new job the next day. They were great about getting me a rental car, and since I was so busy with moving and a new job etc that week, they were so patient and kind. The coverage options are also fantastic.

Warren Grover Seattle, WA

I have been with USAA for auto insurance for only 53 years and so far they have been a good company to be with--only time will tell if that continues! Unfortunately, they have been with me when I had to use their services for some accidents--and I cannot say that I was not at fault for all of them--but USAA stood by me. Also, I just this week used one of their partner alliances to rent a car--this covers all of the added insurance the rental car companies want to change you but for no charge! What you pay for auto insurance is important, but more important is the service provided when you need it--and USAA is excellent and the rate is not bad either. In fact, the longer you are with them for this coverage, the more you receive in the form of an annual refund. I also have daughters who use USAA for their insurance. If you are eligible for USAA and do not utilize it, shame on you! Check it out.

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

USAA is an amazing company for service members. All of their products, including car insurance, are geared to giving service members and their families the best products for the best prices. Even if you are paying a tad more than a competing company, USAA has overall superior service and benefits exclusively for service members and their families. My favorite part is how they cover the insurance on rentals so you don't even have to pay for it when you rent a car again!

Lilyjames Hayward, CA

My experience with this auto insurance company is that they really care about their costumers and also making sure that everything is fair and taken care of as well as not overpricing.

Cresente Gotangco San Jose, CA

When you’ve been in an accident, you’re scared and confused. USAA is the calming helpful voice that says you’re going to be ok. They’re responsive and the best insurance company a veteran or military family member will ever use.

W. Schmidt Olanta, SC

Best auto insurance I’ve ever had. They’re very proficient and efficient. Their turn around time for claims and roadside service is awesome as well as their entire insurance package; is unbeatable, and I’ve been with several auto insurance companies. I fully intend to stay with USAA as long as I need auto insurance.

Laura Washington Augusta, GA

I had them for about 20 years. I only changed becaue my husband wanted to use his policy which was with another company. I was very happy with my car insurance policies with USAA. Their on-line and phone customer services were excellent. I felt their insurance rates were fair and policies were easy to read and understand.

SummerSpringWinter Smyrna, GA

USAA has been my auto insurance company since 1995 and has been my husband's since the 1970's. They are quick to resolve claims. They are easy to contact and get started with a claim. They have been good about looking for every possible discount as I have our son's on the policies with us also (good student discounts, aging up, safe driver, low mileage etc.). That means a lot as every dollar counts.

John Bell Danville, KY

Not sure there is a company that I could provide a higher review for than USAA. Company goes above and beyond to make sure their customer is happy in the end. Also thanks me for my father's service to the country every time I call with a question or issue. Just a small thing that shows the character of the company. All this with the almost lowest prices in the industry!

Sue Mischke Beltsville, MD

When USAA did not appear at the top of your list, I figured you must not have included them at all. I can't imagine who you interviewed to get such a low score! I have been a USAA customer for more than 40 years; my father was before me, and my husband was before we were married. Both of our sons are now USAA members and all of my siblings and their families are members. We all have them for both auto and homeowners insurance. Their rates are unbeatable for the services and coverage they offer. I have had both auto and home claims with them and they have done an excellent job of both coverage and of handling everything so that it was easy for me. I was given a choice of using their recommendations or providing my own--but I prefer to use theirs, since I know USAA follows up and the repair people won't cut corners when dealing with a USAA member. USAA is amazingly responsive and has made everything as smooth as possible via their website. If someone doesn't like using the web, they can be reached immediately at any time of day or night by phone. When other insurance companies contact me, I tell them I have USAA and they just hang up. They know that no one can match the cost for the value that USAA provides.

Chuck Robuck Lincoln, CA

I was shocked to see how low you rated this company! I have been a member of USAA for the past 44 years and my father was a member decades before me. They have not just GOOD rates, but SPECTACULAR rates compared to traditional insurers...that's because it is a NON PROFIT organization, and all the excess revenue goes into reserves for major claims, or are REFUNDED to members at the end of each year in the form of a CHECK and a DEPOSIT into a SUBSRIBER'S SAVINGS ACCOUNT....in which we have accumulated thousands of dollars. Not only are their rates phenomenal, but their service is top notch.....no matter where we've been stationed around the world USAA has always been there for us... To me they should be at the very top of your list!

Scott Day Mesa, AZ

I have had USAA for over 20 years. They have always been great to work with. The premiums are lower than most and payment for any accidents has been quick and painless. I would highly recommend!

Sandra Little Eugene, OR

USAA is the best! When I had a problem on the road late at night, the customer service representative was very calming and kept me informed of the road service that was coming. The rates are very reasonable and hard to beat.

Chelsea Pleasant Grove, UT

Has been amazing! I had a car totaled and they did amazing on the claims, and getting back to you as soon as possible, is great for not an expensive fee, and give you a ton of options for discounts!

Angela Chesapeake, VA

Our premium is low compared to other companies. We’ve had to file numerous claims but they’ve never raised our monthly cost. Each claim has always been dealt with fairly and quickly. I would definitely recommend them as an auto insurer.

LP ID Rexburg, ID

As far as customer service, they are TOP-NOTCH!! Their premiums are higher than most, but the coverage is good. BUT once you file a claim, even the smallest, your rates skyrocket. A family member bumped the rear bumper of a 1993 Chevy Cavalier with nearly 300K miles on it. Literally, the car was probably worth $100. The young man driving said another driver sideswiped him and he just took the check and never fixed the vehicle. Our vehicle had ZERO damage. Not even a scuff. The other driver's bumper had a small dent. USAA paid them $1000 for the bumper and our insurance premium was raised $103 per month. After that happened, we went through a broker who found better coverage for less than our original premium we had with USAA. Also, only military families can join USAA, making it sound like they are doing the military men and women a favor, but in all actuality, it cost us more.

MNO O Lawrenceville, GA

We have tried a few other companies but USAA beats them all. They are always so polite and helpful. We have had quite a few accidents in the last couple of years and they have always been prompt in getting our vehicles fixed right away and addressing issues when they arose.

JOE SAVAGE Nolensville, TN

I have been a lifelong member of USAA for over 55 years. They are without a doubt the most efficient and service oriented company of its kind in existence. Granted they only allow Military or ex-Military members, but once you have enrolled you are set for life. Rates are fair and service is always courteous. I would not have it any other way.

UnSatisfied Customer Spencer, WV

Greatest company ever. I've been with them over 25 years, and they have always had terrific, consistently good service. They have saved me from the worst and most predatory of the public sector banks and insurance companies. I thank God for USAA.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

The payment is pretty cheap considering all they cover. I like that you can access all your insurance info on your phone, and the one time I had to call customer support, they were super understanding and helped me through my first claim

Mel L Canton, OH

When my mom got in her accident USAA was awesome. As soon as she hung up enterprise called her about her car rental. Then USAA took care of everything, even calling the GAP insurance company. All she had to do was get her things out of the car and pick up the rental car and the. Buy a new car when the insurance money came in. I wish all the insurance companies were like that.

Michael Wood Nashville, TN

You can't beat their service from home-car-life-personal property to include insurance for liability to collectors items. Investments, car buying service and just about anything you can think of to include banking, credit cars to loans. Used them all and have been with them for over 32 years. Pleasant and professional. Have been generally a step ahead of my needs . Can't say enough and this is one organization that appreciates vetrans and their families.

Frederick Nelson Universal City, TX

My favorite bank I’ve ever worked with. For one they allow me to consolidate all of my accounts on one platform so that I can see all of my money’s activity. They also allow me to take advantage of a number of different accounts for free, including brokerage accounts for both my daughters and myself. Their customer service is also fantastic. Will never switch to another bank. I also have auto insurance with them which is always the best price I can find and has great coverage. I especially like the roadside assistance.

Nancy Presnall Enid, OK

Great coverage and service. They stand behind their policy holders in every way. I have had my auto and homeowners policies with them for about 15 years, and when rental houses were acquired they were insured with USAA too. Claims have all been handled fairly and professionally. I have no complaints at all and would recommend USAA without reservation. I referred a friend and she was ineligible, and USAA even helped her find a company that would cover her.

Natalie Shuman

I have been with USAA since 1975. I have had several car totaled by other drivers. USAA has been rated the best insurance company for its worldwide members since its has become a registered company in the 1950"s. When an accident happens USAA is fast to make repairs or send a check for the car. I strongly recommend USAA for excellent service and helpful, friendly employees.

Cindy Al-Qawasmi Carlisle, PA

Can't get insurance, auto or home, cheaper anywhere else and LOTS of agents have tried. When you call in with a claim the are compassionate and caring and ask if you and your family are ok BEFORE doing anything else. Then they make the claim process concise and easy to understand. They also go over your policy any and every time you call in. Even if they've explained things like "full torte" or other insurance words before they explain them again patiently. They always check to make sure you have enough coverage but not too much.

Jerry Harker Heights, TX

Outright the best insurance company for veterans by far, no complaints, always take excellent care of customers and qualified personnel handling the help desk or maintenance representatives. Quick and efficient responses, never failed me on any claim made through them, good prices, great service, prompt handling of all issues. Number one company in my opinion, have been using them for many years and expect to go on with them for many more, expert personnel to handle everything professionally.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

The ABSOLUTE best company around for all types of insurance especially auto insurance. I have been a satisfied customer since 1977 and go no other place when I need a financial instrument. Their auto owners insurance is some of the lowest cost instruments in the marketplace. Low cost does not mean low service. Often my claims have been settles before I even complete the paperwork. My wife and I were in a bicycle accident on out Tandem. We were hit by an uninsured motorist....USAA stepped in a paid all of our medical expenses, restored out tandem and provided my wife a sizable compensation for her pain and suffering. They sited our "uninsured motorist" coverage to justify their payments....I feel they went beyond their legal requirement to make use whole.....we are USAA for LIFE

John DeTroye Aurora, CO

Have been a USAA customer since 1974, and have never seen anyone provide the level of service they do. Phone support is awesome and always pleasant. Cost is well under that of comparable competitors as far as cost for services provided. I have been in a couple of accidents, none of which were my fault, and the USAA team has had me in a rental car within a couple hours, as well as having towed my car to a very reliable repair shop at the same time. The USAA app for my phone provides me with all of the current information I require and lets me complete an accident report, if needed, on the spot. For almost five decades, USAA Auto Insurance has protected and supported me. I could not ask for more.

Devin Cutter Long Beach, CA

My family has used USAA’s banking and auto insurance for three generations. Naturally, I was skeptical. When it was time for me to choose my own car insurance, I was in college and needed to save money and spend as little as possible. I did a lot of research and cost comparison, and USAA offered the best coverage with the best rates. I have been extremely happy with their service for all these years, and luckily have not had to file any claims (knocking on wood as I type this). When I started with them, they offered me student discounts and deductions based on number of years without accidents. Most recently, during the Covid stay-at-home orders, they gave customers cash back for not driving, no questions asked. I 100% recommend USAA to anyone who is able to use their services.

Helen Thompson Bountiful, UT

we have been with USSA for many years . we were with the Army and after leaving them we have not only had our car but home and condo and ring insurance. They have been very easy to work with. They never make you feel dumb for questions asked how to lower prices etc. We have our car and pickup with them and feel very comfortable they will meet our needs. If we have called for a ding on our windshield they have sent us to a place and gotten it fixed. when we had a small accident after running over something in road they were very quick to get it towed and fixed for us. Their staff are always very easy to talk to on phone.

Kymberlea Burnau Mesa, AZ

We became members of USAA 1/2018. My in laws are members & had a car accident last year, that totaled their car. We were super impressed w/how USAA & every agent they spoke with, handled the entire process; from towing the vehicle, having it inspected & ultimately totalled. They also did a great job of working w/the driver @ faults insurance & getting hospital visits, chiro appts & time off taken care of right away. Also, it was so sweet that every person we spoke w/always asked if everyone was alright. We decided at that point that we would switch, once our policy was up. 7 months in & we are just niw, as we were then. Thanks for taking such great care of your members.

Aricel Westfall Slocomb, AL

Always able to give me great rates but customer service could be better. Half the time, I am unable to get in contact with them

Heather Morton Gilbert, AZ

I was involved in an accident with one of their policy holders. The policy holder had a stop sign and decided to disregard it. I was headed south out of the complex with their policy holder stopped at the stop sign to the right. ( North and South traffic does not have stop signs) When I called and made the claim with usaa casualty insurance company I was told that someone would be getting back to me. No one did, until my insurance company called and told me that usaa casualty insurance company reached out to them. no regard for the person who was involved in the accident, surely my insurance company was better. Not only no compassion, definitely lacking competence. Would not even give a star, but in order to post I had to do so.

Wendy Barney Vancouver, WA

USAA has always had very rapid responses to any questions or concerns. There is hardly any wait time on the phone to talk to an actual person when calling an insurance company which is unusual these days!

Kanuto Tucson, AZ

I have been with USAA sine 1985 for life, auto, and property insurance. They offer great rates and their customer service is tops. They have a no-hassle claims process which is focused on the customer's convenience and needs.

Dan Schuder Jacksonville, FL

I am 2nd generation USAA member with 2 of my children 3rd generation. Costs are lower and service is so much better. My daughter saved $1500 a year when her fiance insured with State Farm. She got a quote with USAA and changed the policy.

Judy McClain Woodstock, GA

USAA treats you like family. They really care. Have never had any trouble getting them to pay for anything. Not like other insurance companies who fight you at every turn. They are very quick to get your claim resolved and to make you happy. I love USAA and would never change to another company.

William Crandall

41 years of the best service possible!!!!! They have always been there for me. A truck ran a stop sign and totaled my vehicle. USAA represented with others insurance company and the other insurance company admitted total fault.

James P. Blok

I have been a USAA car insurance customer for over 45 years. They have always provided high quality coverage at reasonable and fair prices. USAA has also handled my claims and other situations quickly, fairly and professionally. It is one of the few corporations in America that still functions openly and with the utmost integrity.situations

Ronald Kemp

Always responsive to customer needs. Friendly responsible and reasonable able. I have been a customer with USAA for over thirty years and have been totally satisfied with the service. Most of my former work associates were customers and to my knowledge have been happy clients.

James Strassburg

Even after purchasing a new car my coverage went up much less than I had expected. I’ve Ben with USAA for over 5 years and my premiums have not had large increases after the initial policy renewal like other companies I’ve had.

Deborah S

I have been with USAA for more than 10 yrs now and without a doubt the best insurance company I have ever had. Their customer service is excellent, their rates are really good, and in time of crisis they are there for you, which I know from personal experience.

Megan

They have been amazing! I’m currently living in Canada but had to get a driver’s report from them right away for my husband’s new insurance. They instantly got it for me & the customer service rep from USAA was super helpful and sweet. Definitely go with them!

John Johnston Jacksonville, NC

Because they have great prices on auto, insurance,home insurance and a lot more to offer plus they take care of people who serve for our country and the people that work there are always there for you I would like to thank all the people that work there they do an outstanding job thanks

ROBERT A LEES II

I have been with them for more than 40 years and have never had a problem with claims for damage to my home, my 2nd home, liability claims for my children's exploits, automobile claims, personal injury claims, or anything else they have insured. All claims were settled quickly, fairly, and satisfactorily.