Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance Logo

7.4

USAA Auto Insurance

Services for military members and families

USAA insurance was founded on the principles of people helping people, when 25 military men agreed to insure each other's vehicles when no one else would. Memberships are open to U.S. military service members, veterans with an honorable discharge and their eligible family members, with some policy types available to the public.Since its founding, USAA has expanded the services they offer to include other types of insurance as well as banking for all Armed Forces members, past and present, and their families.

The Good

• Coverage features
  • Service coverage
  • Discounts
  • File/Track Claims

Coverage Features

All policies are custom-created to meet the insured's needs, budget and state minimums. Additional coverages can be added into the policy.

• Property damage liability
  • Roadside assistance
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Accident forgiveness

Service Coverage

The company provides their products and services in all 50 states, which can only be said about a handful of the largest insurance companies. This availability is somewhat tempered by the fact that only service members and their immediate family have access to their services. USAA also offers a great opportunity for members who want to add a policy to their home, with up to 75 percent of the home's insured value with no depreciation factored for all members.

Discounts

• Driver training
  • Multi-vehicle
  • Family tradition
  • Good student
  • Safe driver
  • Accident forgiveness

Membership savings include discounts for family members, multi-product savings, long-term customer rewards and discounts for vehicles stored in military installation garages. A free mobile phone app for iPhone, iPad, Android and even Windows Phone provides access to insurance, banking and investment services. Members can check balances, pay bills, access auto ID cards and do many other essential things.

Agents and reps of USAA are exceptionally friendly and helpful. Based on our experience and hundreds of online reviews from numerous websites, USAA employees tend to be highly professional, compassionate, understanding and willing to assist members in expediting claims based on individual needs.

File/Track Claims

The claims process appears to be efficient and fair, and claims can be filed either over the phone or online at the USAA website. Claims can be tracked online, or a USAA rep can guide members through the process step by step. They provide a lot of help throughout the claims process, including locating a repair facility, renting a replacement vehicle, and facilitating replacement of stolen or damaged electronic equipment.

The Bad

• Coverage limitations
  • Service hours
  • Qualified clients
  • Claims process

Coverage Limitations

USAA doesn't have as much policy flexibility as other major insurance companies. Some optional coverages are only available in limited areas. For example, accident forgiveness in not available to members in North Carolina, California, New York, Maine or Delaware.
Roadside assistance is provided through USAA towing and labor coverage at a super low rate, but the coverage is fairly limited. For example, they will only tow to a local repair shop within 14 miles. If a customer needs to go farther than that, they will have to pay for it. Compare that to AAA, which tows up to 100 miles.

Service Hours

For some reason, USAA has limited service hours for their claims office, which can be frustrating for members trying to get hold of a rep during off hours. The website can be used to file a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week, but some people prefer to call and speak to an actual human being. For those individuals, the limited hours will be especially annoying.

Qualified Clients

Of course, the biggest negative that can be said about USAA is that they only offer their services to military personnel and their qualifying family members. This means most people cannot take advantage of their affordable rates, even though the company operates in all 50 states. Though they have flirted with offering limited services to non-military customers over the years, it is doubtful that this will ever be the norm.

Claims Process

Though customer service seems to be really good on the whole, there have been a number of complaints from members who have had trouble with the claims process. Most of these complaints have to do with response times. However, a number of people have noted a tendency to declare a damaged vehicle a total loss even when the damage is not severe.

The Bottom Line

Any military personnel or qualifying family members will do well to consider USAA for their insurance needs. They provide some of the most affordable rates on the market, much lower than many of their competitors. Combined with a few good discount options and great customer service, it is difficult to think of a good reason for those who have access not to take advantage of these great rates.

They don't have the widest number of insurance options, but what they do have is great and covers all of the essentials. Claims service hours are limited, which can be frustrating, but the ability to file and track claims online should help. USAA is definitely worth looking into for all your insurance needs and comes highly recommended.

Jennifer Perry
November 16th, 2018 Spring Valley, CA DETAILS

I have had USAA for over 2 years now. I love their customer service and friendly reps. I had a minor fender bender and they were able to help me out with quick service and made sure to ask if we were okay after the accident. I would recommend them to others.

Suzanne Giddens
November 15th, 2018 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS

Excellent customer service and great rates. Have been using them for 10 years and would not switch.

Irene Anders
October 29th, 2018 Folsom, CA DETAILS

Great rates compared to all other providers. We have not had to use them for a claim but customer service for other questions is good.

Mark Evers
September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I have had USAA insurance for over 17 years now! They have helped me through 2 pretty bad accidents that were the others drivers fault! From rental cars to medical bills! USAA is awesome!

Jennifer Greenwood
September 17th, 2018 Draper, UT

We have used USAA for over 40 years. They are very friendly and care about us. They are very fast to help us when we need them. You can’t beat their prices. No one even tries.

Isaac Greenwood
September 17th, 2018 Riverton, UT

They are great to work with and they will help you save money anyway you can if you let them know!

James Quick
September 13th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Excellent price and service. Saving me $80 a month.

Rob
September 10th, 2018 Malta, OH DETAILS

When I call for insurance questions, they always do an insurance survey to be sure I'm covered at a good rate. I check auto and home insurance rates regularly and compare them with USAA rates. I have found them consistently equal to or lower than most other companies in their category.

Katherine Galliart
September 7th, 2018

I have had USAA since I was born! My father has it and it was passed down to me. I absolutely love them! When I fell into a financial slump they were very generous and willing to work out another payment plan with me! I surely do appreciate it, times get hard, people fail and fall into slumps... So nice to have a company that cares about YOU!

Spencer Schuenman
August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We have had USAA auto insurance for over 25 years and they have never let us down. They are very responsive and easy to deal with and accommodate how many vehicles we cycle through.

Darluap
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Had their auto insurance for many years. Rates never increased but never decreased either. Excellent service.

Haidyn Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

This auto’s insurance isn’t my favorite. I had some problems with the customer service at this company. The experience might be different for you but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Tanya
August 16th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I’ve been a member for nearly 30 years for both banking and insurance. Their customer service is top notch and their rates are hard to beat!

Holly Nelson
July 27th, 2018 Universal City, TX

Great company, always pleased with their customer service, reliability, and policies

Katherine Smith
July 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Amazing roadside assistance and great customer service

Anne Kimball
July 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I had USAA auto insurance growing up and they were always very affordable, especially considering I was a teenager.

Frederick Nelson
July 26th, 2018 Universal City, TX DETAILS

My favorite bank I’ve ever worked with. For one they allow me to consolidate all of my accounts on one platform so that I can see all of my money’s activity. They also allow me to take advantage of a number of different accounts for free, including brokerage accounts for both my daughters and myself. Their customer service is also fantastic. Will never switch to another bank. I also have auto insurance with them which is always the best price I can find and has great coverage. I especially like the roadside assistance.

James B nelson
July 23rd, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

I have had USAA for 25 years that they have been extremely reliable. They are always courteous and quickly handle anything that I have for them. Their rates are competitive and sometimes superior.

James Nelson
July 23rd, 2018 Falls Church, VA

I have never had a problem with this company; great rates, excellent customer service. I haven't even considered shopping around to change my policy. Definitely put their customers first!

Kimberley Hirt
July 23rd, 2018 Buena Vista, VA

I love this company! Their rates are always super competitive, affordable, and fair. They also have a great road side assistance program that I have used many times.

Cubnelson
July 23rd, 2018 Los Angeles, CA

I've had several Auto Insurance policies over the years with different companies and I stick with USAA because I have really noticed how how much Integrity they have. Even speaking with Representatives on the phone, they seem to have compassion for the situation and a lack of ulterior motive when I've been in an accident. I don't feel like they're trying to screw me over as much as possible. I also appreciate that the company itself strives to help families and military families in particular. I can believe in a company like that.

Thomas Riley
July 16th, 2018 Jacksonville, FL

July 15, 2018 I am making a formal complaint about a claim I have with USAA Auto Insurance Company. Background On May 23, 2018 , my car (2008 Ford Mustang), was struck in Jacksonville, FL. The driver of the other vehicle was charged with running a red light and was insured by USAA. No charges were made against me. USAA was notified by both parties on that day and USAA reported to that they would handle the claim and issued a claim number. Since that phone call, I tried contacting USAA several times and left several messages, and they did not returned my calls. Neither did they send a claim adjuster to review the damages nor make an offer to repair the damages. After reporting USAA to the Better Business Bureau on June 24, I received an email from the Office of the CEO at USAA (on the evening of June 26) requesting my USAA claim number. That information was emailed on the morning of June 27. Since that time, I have been contacted by several people at USAA (by voice messenger). I returned their calls shortly after I receiving them, but none of my voices messages were returned to discuss my claim. On July 6, I was requested to resend the estimated cost of repairs and photographs of the damages, which on did on July 6. Seven weeks after the accident, my repairs were completed on July 12, and I paid the repair shop (which is on USAA’s approved list of approved repair shops) $9,259. On July 13, USAA’s Total Lost and Salvage Claims Division notified me that the value of my car was worth only $5,639 and they would be willing to pay that amount if I gave them title of the Mustang. In Summary It took USAA over 7 weeks to notify me what portion of the damages they were willing to pay. I waited nearly 3 weeks before I started the repair work, and the Mustang was in the garage for nearly 5 weeks for repairs. After over 7 weeks since the accident, USAA finally prepared an estimate, as to what they were willing to pay for the collision. During that 50 day period, USAA neither made an offer for a car rental nor to offer compensation for the inconvenience of not having the use of a car for 50 days. Recommendation USAA should not be allowed to sell insurance in the state of Florida. Thomas F. Riley (I am a veteran)

Karen Nelson
July 16th, 2018 Alpine, UT

My husband and I have had USAA for quite some time now. Their roadside service has been life saving over the years.

Aaron Foote
July 9th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

I have enjoyed this insurance company. The customer service I receive and the helpfulness is great. They are always read to help and to find the answer for you if they are not sure. I have never had a problem with claims or any type of reimbursement from them.

Eric Daniels
July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

24 years of exceptional service for my family! Quick and easy online platform and an entire team just a phone call away. They actually look for ways to save me money! Umbrella, home, auto and life insurance all with USAA. Couldn’t be happier!

Kymberlea Burnau
July 6th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

We became members of USAA 1/2018. My in laws are members & had a car accident last year, that totaled their car. We were super impressed w/how USAA & every agent they spoke with, handled the entire process; from towing the vehicle, having it inspected & ultimately totalled. They also did a great job of working w/the driver @ faults insurance & getting hospital visits, chiro appts & time off taken care of right away. Also, it was so sweet that every person we spoke w/always asked if everyone was alright. We decided at that point that we would switch, once our policy was up. 7 months in & we are just niw, as we were then. Thanks for taking such great care of your members.

Jennifer Camac
July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have been with USAA for 25 years and they have been nothing but wonderful to work with. Their customer service is top notch and they are more than fair on claims and policies. We recommend USAA to anyone!

Robert Singleton
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have been a USAA customer since I began driving and stayed with them for all of my insurance needs. They have been consistently excellent in their service and never failed to assist me with any needs I or my family may have.

michelle l pierce
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have heard from military friends that this is a awesome company, That offers great rates for our military and retired military. And their customer service is amazing.

Monai West
July 5th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

This company is great. I think the best thing is being able to talk to the adjuster and explaining what happened. I was able to report an accident before even leaving the scene of the accident. I was able to upload photos of the accident, cars, etc right away and was able to process my claim within 24 hours.

Amy Singleton

Good Rates. Easy to work with. Quick response time on claims

Trevor Whitmore
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Fantastic service and prompt response in all of their departments. We have been members for over 25 years.

Cassandra Larsen
July 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

We like how fast and efficient USAA is with auto claims. Rates are the best around! Phone calls are always completed with ease and friendly customer service.

Jani Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

BEST insurance available. Wonderful customer service, so we use them to insure everything. Easy to understand, easy to ask questions. They don't try to up-sell you on things you don't need. Great value. Can't say enough positive things about USAA.

James Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

I have had USAA auto and renters insurance for 7+ years and love them! They are so responsive when we have questions and their customer service is always super good. The cost of coverage is always really competitive and there are tons of discounts you get with travel providers because of your policy with them. Highly recommend!

Martha Sensiba
June 5th, 2018 Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ DETAILS

My husband has been a member of USAA for over 40 years. He feels we are very well protected with this company. We had an accident in a very remote area of the mountains and they towed our car all the way to our home.

Joni
May 21st, 2018 Edmond, OK DETAILS

Excellent service, great customer service, easy to submit claim, long time customer

Edward Whaley
May 21st, 2018 Joplin, MO DETAILS

When you talk they listen If you ask a question they answer itl If you have a problem they help you.

Philip C Major
May 21st, 2018 Manhattan, KS DETAILS

Great Service, Great Price. They have always provided prompt coverage for any claims and cover both my home and auto

Juan Martinez
May 21st, 2018 Harlingen, TX DETAILS

Usaa can assist you 24/7 it's on line access is wonderful. Their representatives are always friendly and knowledgeable. Yes its a little pricier than others but well worth it