Best Company Guarantee USAA Auto Insurance Logo

USAA Auto Insurance

7.4

LAST UPDATED: October 20th, 2021

If you or your parent or spouse is in the military, USAA Insurance is an excellent insurer to work with. Its mobile app and online account management make it simple to file claims, pay premiums, and print identification cards.

USAA also offers good coverage options, including coverage for rideshare drivers. USAA offers a wide variety of discounts, which you can benefit from as well. Beyond being a competitive insurance carrier, USAA has received many positive reviews. These positive reviews show USAA's dedication to offering excellent service and competitive rates.

Read USAA Reviews

The Good

• Positive Reviews
  • High Financial Strength Ratings
  • Good Coverage Options
  • Rideshare Coverage Available
  • Variety of Discounts
  • Easy to Work With

Positive Reviews

Best Company has received many USAA auto insurance reviews. An overwhelming majority of reviews are 4 or 5 stars.

Reviewers praise USAA for its customer service and competitive rates. Several reviews also reflect claims satisfaction.

With such a high level of customer satisfaction, you can be confident when working with USAA for car insurance coverage.

High Financial Strength Ratings

USAA has received high financial strength ratings, which means that the insurance provider is financially stable and likely to be able to meet its claims obligations.

High ratings are common among top insurers.

Good Coverage Options

USAA offers excellent coverage options. It's policies can include the following coverages:

• Comprehensive and collision coverage
  • Liability coverage
  • Personal injury protection (PIP)
  • Extended benefits coverage (added with medical payments coverage)
  • Uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury and property damage coverage
  • Roadside assistance
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Accident forgiveness (free after 5 years without any at-fault accident)

With so many kinds of coverage, you can easily find a good auto insurance policy that meets your needs.

Rideshare Coverage Available

In addition to offering the typical coverages for personal auto insurance, USAA also offers rideshare driver coverage. This coverage starts at $6 per month and can be added to your existing policy to bridge the gap in coverage.

Variety of Discounts

USAA offers many discounts. You can take full advantage of these discounts to save money on your car insurance policy.

USAA offers the following discounts:

• Safe Driver
  • Defensive Driving Course
  • Driver Training (for people under 21)
  • Good Student
  • New Vehicle
  • Multi-Vehicle
  • Annual Mileage
  • Vehicle Storage
  • Family Discount
  • Length of Membership Savings
  • Military Installation (garage vehicle on base)

If you buy a USAA car insurance policy and renters or homeowners insurance, you can save 10 percent on your renters or homeowner policy.

While this discount applies only to renters and homeowners insurance, you can still benefit if you need either of those insurances and an auto policy.

Easy to Work With

USAA has a reputation of being easy to work with and accessible. You can benefit from these features from start to finish when you purchase a car insurance policy from USAA.

You can get a insurance rate quote online, manage your policy, print identification cards, file claims through USAA's online claims center, and adjust your payment schedule. USAA even has a secure mobile app that you can use to view your auto identification card, request roadside assistance, report claims, and view the accident checklist.

With so many convenient and accessible features, working with USAA can be an excellent experience.

Additional Products and Services

USAA offers several other types of insurance products. You can find home insurance, life insurance, renters insurance and more.

You can also find financial services like loans and banking through USAA.

The Bad

• Must Meet Eligibility Requirements
  • Some Types of Coverage Not Available Everywhere

Must Meet Eligibility Requirements

If you want to buy car insurance from USAA, you'll need to become a USAA member. U.S. military members and veterans, pre commissioned officers, their spouses and children can all join. USAA does not charge a membership fee.

If you're not eligible for USAA membership, you'll need to look into other options.

Some Types of Coverage Not Available Everywhere

You'll need to work with USAA directly to understand specific offerings in your area. While many of its services are available widely, not all of its coverage options are. For example, accident forgiveness coverage isn't available in all states.

While this variation can be frustrating, USAA offers many good policy options and discounts that you can benefit from.

The Bottom Line

USAA is an excellent insurance company to work with if you're connected to the military. USAA car insurance reviews on BestCompany.com are overwhelmingly positive.

You'll benefit from good coverage options, which means you can create an auto insurance policy that meets your needs. Rideshare drivers can benefit from USAA's rideshare gap coverage. You'll also find competitive savings opportunities on your insurance premium and excellent service.

We recommend working with USAA to learn more about your options and car insurance rate quotes.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

LP ID Rexburg, ID

As far as customer service, they are TOP-NOTCH!! Their premiums are higher than most, but the coverage is good. BUT once you file a claim, even the smallest, your rates skyrocket. A family member bumped the rear bumper of a 1993 Chevy Cavalier with nearly 300K miles on it. Literally, the car was probably worth $100. The young man driving said another driver sideswiped him and he just took the check and never fixed the vehicle. Our vehicle had ZERO damage. Not even a scuff. The other driver's bumper had a small dent. USAA paid them $1000 for the bumper and our insurance premium was raised $103 per month. After that happened, we went through a broker who found better coverage for less than our original premium we had with USAA. Also, only military families can join USAA, making it sound like they are doing the military men and women a favor, but in all actuality, it cost us more.

1 day ago

MNO O Lawrenceville, GA

We have tried a few other companies but USAA beats them all. They are always so polite and helpful. We have had quite a few accidents in the last couple of years and they have always been prompt in getting our vehicles fixed right away and addressing issues when they arose.

SummerSpringWinter Smyrna, GA

USAA has been my auto insurance company since 1995 and has been my husband's since the 1970's. They are quick to resolve claims. They are easy to contact and get started with a claim. They have been good about looking for every possible discount as I have our son's on the policies with us also (good student discounts, aging up, safe driver, low mileage etc.). That means a lot as every dollar counts.

Heather Morton Gilbert, AZ

I was involved in an accident with one of their policy holders. The policy holder had a stop sign and decided to disregard it. I was headed south out of the complex with their policy holder stopped at the stop sign to the right. ( North and South traffic does not have stop signs) When I called and made the claim with usaa casualty insurance company I was told that someone would be getting back to me. No one did, until my insurance company called and told me that usaa casualty insurance company reached out to them. no regard for the person who was involved in the accident, surely my insurance company was better. Not only no compassion, definitely lacking competence. Would not even give a star, but in order to post I had to do so.

JOE SAVAGE Nolensville, TN

I have been a lifelong member of USAA for over 55 years. They are without a doubt the most efficient and service oriented company of its kind in existence. Granted they only allow Military or ex-Military members, but once you have enrolled you are set for life. Rates are fair and service is always courteous. I would not have it any other way.

UnSatisfied Customer Spencer, WV

Greatest company ever. I've been with them over 25 years, and they have always had terrific, consistently good service. They have saved me from the worst and most predatory of the public sector banks and insurance companies. I thank God for USAA.

John Bell Danville, KY

Not sure there is a company that I could provide a higher review for than USAA. Company goes above and beyond to make sure their customer is happy in the end. Also thanks me for my father's service to the country every time I call with a question or issue. Just a small thing that shows the character of the company. All this with the almost lowest prices in the industry!

Angela Chesapeake, VA

Our premium is low compared to other companies. We’ve had to file numerous claims but they’ve never raised our monthly cost. Each claim has always been dealt with fairly and quickly. I would definitely recommend them as an auto insurer.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

The payment is pretty cheap considering all they cover. I like that you can access all your insurance info on your phone, and the one time I had to call customer support, they were super understanding and helped me through my first claim

Maria Donham Grovetown, GA

Great customer service. Will do what is necessary to make sure you are a satisfied customer. Attentive, knowledge and engaging.

Kenneth Hall Irmo, SC

Very professional customer service. After an accident that wasn't our fault and other company had settled, USAA came through with the under insured claim.

Ann Horst San Antonio, TX

This is the only car insurance company I would ever trust. I do all my banking and car and rental insurance with USAA. Their customer service is always spot on and I have been with them for over 17 years!

Gabby A Norristown, PA

USAA is the best auto insurance I have ever had. I started off as a teenager with this insurance and at some point left and tried other companies feeling I would save money. after trialing 3 other insurances, I returned to USAA. You don't realize how important a great auto insurance company is until you find yourself needing one.

Cindy Al-Qawasmi Carlisle, PA

Can't get insurance, auto or home, cheaper anywhere else and LOTS of agents have tried. When you call in with a claim the are compassionate and caring and ask if you and your family are ok BEFORE doing anything else. Then they make the claim process concise and easy to understand. They also go over your policy any and every time you call in. Even if they've explained things like "full torte" or other insurance words before they explain them again patiently. They always check to make sure you have enough coverage but not too much.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I called for a quote on my vehicles. And the rates were way more than USAA and StateFarm. I thought this was so weird because my parents and sons insurance was lower with them.

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

We carry all of our auto insurance with USAA as eligible military and have been happy with the coverage and what is offered.

Flavia Aliberti Deerfield Beach, FL

I've had USAA Auto insurance for over 17 years. Excellent service, they've always come through when I needed them without hassles. Their price can't be beaten.

Amanda Erickson Soldotna, AK

I use USAA for my auto and renters insurance and this insurance company is Amazing they find rates and deals I never knew were out there!! I LOVE THEM!! If you are a veteran, in the service, the child or have grandparents in the Military I would strongly suggest into looking into getting USAA insurance from here!!

Mel L Canton, OH

When my mom got in her accident USAA was awesome. As soon as she hung up enterprise called her about her car rental. Then USAA took care of everything, even calling the GAP insurance company. All she had to do was get her things out of the car and pick up the rental car and the. Buy a new car when the insurance money came in. I wish all the insurance companies were like that.

Jerry Harker Heights, TX

Outright the best insurance company for veterans by far, no complaints, always take excellent care of customers and qualified personnel handling the help desk or maintenance representatives. Quick and efficient responses, never failed me on any claim made through them, good prices, great service, prompt handling of all issues. Number one company in my opinion, have been using them for many years and expect to go on with them for many more, expert personnel to handle everything professionally.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

The ABSOLUTE best company around for all types of insurance especially auto insurance. I have been a satisfied customer since 1977 and go no other place when I need a financial instrument. Their auto owners insurance is some of the lowest cost instruments in the marketplace. Low cost does not mean low service. Often my claims have been settles before I even complete the paperwork. My wife and I were in a bicycle accident on out Tandem. We were hit by an uninsured motorist....USAA stepped in a paid all of our medical expenses, restored out tandem and provided my wife a sizable compensation for her pain and suffering. They sited our "uninsured motorist" coverage to justify their payments....I feel they went beyond their legal requirement to make use whole.....we are USAA for LIFE

John DeTroye Aurora, CO

Have been a USAA customer since 1974, and have never seen anyone provide the level of service they do. Phone support is awesome and always pleasant. Cost is well under that of comparable competitors as far as cost for services provided. I have been in a couple of accidents, none of which were my fault, and the USAA team has had me in a rental car within a couple hours, as well as having towed my car to a very reliable repair shop at the same time. The USAA app for my phone provides me with all of the current information I require and lets me complete an accident report, if needed, on the spot. For almost five decades, USAA Auto Insurance has protected and supported me. I could not ask for more.

TeaSpillin Salt Lake City, UT

Always goes above and beyond to make sure my experience is satisfactory. I've never had a rude Customer service representative.

E Jester Baltimore, MD

I attempted to acquire a quote with USAA and it was indeed a tedious process. My husband suggested I use this insurance company because they were reasonable for members. I could not acquire a membership with USAA. It was a lot of red tape. No insurance company should be that difficult to earn their business.

Patrick L Sugrue Ooltewah, TN

We've been USAA members for over 13 years and the service and response time is top notch. I'm totally comfortable that the information we get from the claims and customer service people is accurate and reliable

LON HOSKINS Rocklin, CA

I have been a member of USAA since 1964. All my insurance is with USAA. You get a reimbursement every year and as a senior member I get an additional reimbursement. They are the best company out there.

Rani Halliday Spring Branch, TX

I have been a member of USAA since I was a new driver at 16 years old (I'll be 50 this year). I have been consistently impressed with the high level of service we had for one accident and for any other issues we've had, including moving and having to change rates, etc... Best customer service around! I feel very secure having them for my insurance carrier.

Sue Mischke Beltsville, MD

When USAA did not appear at the top of your list, I figured you must not have included them at all. I can't imagine who you interviewed to get such a low score! I have been a USAA customer for more than 40 years; my father was before me, and my husband was before we were married. Both of our sons are now USAA members and all of my siblings and their families are members. We all have them for both auto and homeowners insurance. Their rates are unbeatable for the services and coverage they offer. I have had both auto and home claims with them and they have done an excellent job of both coverage and of handling everything so that it was easy for me. I was given a choice of using their recommendations or providing my own--but I prefer to use theirs, since I know USAA follows up and the repair people won't cut corners when dealing with a USAA member. USAA is amazingly responsive and has made everything as smooth as possible via their website. If someone doesn't like using the web, they can be reached immediately at any time of day or night by phone. When other insurance companies contact me, I tell them I have USAA and they just hang up. They know that no one can match the cost for the value that USAA provides.

Chuck Robuck Lincoln, CA

I was shocked to see how low you rated this company! I have been a member of USAA for the past 44 years and my father was a member decades before me. They have not just GOOD rates, but SPECTACULAR rates compared to traditional insurers...that's because it is a NON PROFIT organization, and all the excess revenue goes into reserves for major claims, or are REFUNDED to members at the end of each year in the form of a CHECK and a DEPOSIT into a SUBSRIBER'S SAVINGS ACCOUNT....in which we have accumulated thousands of dollars. Not only are their rates phenomenal, but their service is top notch.....no matter where we've been stationed around the world USAA has always been there for us... To me they should be at the very top of your list!

Cris Balmanno Riverton, UT

I love USAA insurance! I have never been let down by them in over 25 years. Awesome rates and great customer service.

Trojan 75 Clearwater, FL

When we moved from California to Florida, it was our intent to keep the family tradition of staying with USAA...but once we got here, something happened. Prices skyrocketed (without a suitable explanation) and customer service got rather arrogant and, if I may say, snarky. Just had never seen it before, but we did and yes, a change was made.

Donna G Schultz Grove, OK

I was rear ended in 2008 while stopped at a red light, by a USAA client in 2008 who was racing another motorist. The policeman said he was going about 50 mph+ when he hit me. Because I didn't get in an ambulance (because I was vomiting and disoriented) and they said USAA said my truck wasn't damaged enough (vibrated at 50 mph after the accident), they offered me $5,000 total for my injuries. For TWO years, they only offered $5,000. I had a neurosurgeon ready to testify my neck & back injuries were a direct result of the accident but they never offered over $5,000. I had over $25,000 in diagnostic medical bills and I have been left with permanent injuries. The doctor even apologized to me that I had been treated wrong. They might cover their veterans, (which doesn't impress me because the veterans pay just like any other insurance company), but they sure don't cover the people that are injured by their veterans. People think all insurance companies are like this, but they're not. When my son had an accident and it was his fault, our insurance company paid. We checked them. You should always make sure when you hurt someone, even accidentally, that your insurance company takes care of them. That's what you pay them for.

Sandra Gaither Louisville, KY

They are very informative & helpful, however, my husband got insurance from them on a new truck he purchased and I in turned decided to transfer my car insurance over to them also. After my husband had been with them for about a year, they upped his insurance $100.00 (that was after I switched). We had all intensions of switching all our insurance over, but reconsidered after the big spike in price. I figured that if they did that to him once, they would probably do the same to me and all our other insurance needs. We were under the impression they were supposed to be great when it comes to rates and dealing with the veterans, but I guess not so much. At least, not for us. Great customer service agents though.

Jennifer Atlanta, GA

These people are amazing. I have had auto, renters, and home insurance with them. I was sideswiped by a semi and the police blew me off. USAA got my car fixed. I only had to tell them and they took care of it all.

Diana Hoffmann New Florence, MO

We have been with USAA insurance for homeowners and auto insurance. Their claim service is the BEST!! They are right on top of everything and make you feel like a valued customer.

Kanuto Tucson, AZ

I have been with USAA sine 1985 for life, auto, and property insurance. They offer great rates and their customer service is tops. They have a no-hassle claims process which is focused on the customer's convenience and needs.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

30+ year auto customer that loves USAA's service and attention to detail (unique with a big company). However, suggest a more local approval to insurance valuation for home owner's insurance. Had to go away from USAA for home owner's due to valuation issues.

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

USAA is the absolute best auto insurance company. They have great customer service, great rates and prices. They even give you money back in dividends based on the success of the company or if they have incurred lower costs than expected!

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

We have used USAA Auto Insurance for the last 44 years and, needless to say, we intend to continue using them! They are the best! They are always available and always very helpful when you need them to handle an accident or just to give advice.

Michael Wood Nashville, TN

You can't beat their service from home-car-life-personal property to include insurance for liability to collectors items. Investments, car buying service and just about anything you can think of to include banking, credit cars to loans. Used them all and have been with them for over 32 years. Pleasant and professional. Have been generally a step ahead of my needs . Can't say enough and this is one organization that appreciates vetrans and their families.

Frederick Nelson Universal City, TX

My favorite bank I’ve ever worked with. For one they allow me to consolidate all of my accounts on one platform so that I can see all of my money’s activity. They also allow me to take advantage of a number of different accounts for free, including brokerage accounts for both my daughters and myself. Their customer service is also fantastic. Will never switch to another bank. I also have auto insurance with them which is always the best price I can find and has great coverage. I especially like the roadside assistance.

Nancy Presnall Enid, OK

Great coverage and service. They stand behind their policy holders in every way. I have had my auto and homeowners policies with them for about 15 years, and when rental houses were acquired they were insured with USAA too. Claims have all been handled fairly and professionally. I have no complaints at all and would recommend USAA without reservation. I referred a friend and she was ineligible, and USAA even helped her find a company that would cover her.

Natalie Shuman

I have been with USAA since 1975. I have had several car totaled by other drivers. USAA has been rated the best insurance company for its worldwide members since its has become a registered company in the 1950"s. When an accident happens USAA is fast to make repairs or send a check for the car. I strongly recommend USAA for excellent service and helpful, friendly employees.

Marlon Lee Greensboro, NC

Great company and customer service, I never had an issue with them.

Tedra Prouty Caldwell, ID

Customer service is wonderful. They walk you through every process.

Randy Eckert Houston, TX

I have been with USAA for years and never once had an issue. Always quick and responsive to needs

Jennifer Marth Woodbridge, VA

Have been with them over 30 years. Excellent customer service. Great rates and awesome member care

Devin Cutter Long Beach, CA

My family has used USAA’s banking and auto insurance for three generations. Naturally, I was skeptical. When it was time for me to choose my own car insurance, I was in college and needed to save money and spend as little as possible. I did a lot of research and cost comparison, and USAA offered the best coverage with the best rates. I have been extremely happy with their service for all these years, and luckily have not had to file any claims (knocking on wood as I type this). When I started with them, they offered me student discounts and deductions based on number of years without accidents. Most recently, during the Covid stay-at-home orders, they gave customers cash back for not driving, no questions asked. I 100% recommend USAA to anyone who is able to use their services.

Helen Thompson Bountiful, UT

we have been with USSA for many years . we were with the Army and after leaving them we have not only had our car but home and condo and ring insurance. They have been very easy to work with. They never make you feel dumb for questions asked how to lower prices etc. We have our car and pickup with them and feel very comfortable they will meet our needs. If we have called for a ding on our windshield they have sent us to a place and gotten it fixed. when we had a small accident after running over something in road they were very quick to get it towed and fixed for us. Their staff are always very easy to talk to on phone.

Kymberlea Burnau Mesa, AZ

We became members of USAA 1/2018. My in laws are members & had a car accident last year, that totaled their car. We were super impressed w/how USAA & every agent they spoke with, handled the entire process; from towing the vehicle, having it inspected & ultimately totalled. They also did a great job of working w/the driver @ faults insurance & getting hospital visits, chiro appts & time off taken care of right away. Also, it was so sweet that every person we spoke w/always asked if everyone was alright. We decided at that point that we would switch, once our policy was up. 7 months in & we are just niw, as we were then. Thanks for taking such great care of your members.