Comcast Corporation is the largest broadcasting and cable company in the world. Comcast Cable Communications, a subsidiary founded in 1981, is responsible for providing cable television, broadband internet, and VIP telecommunications service, like Comcast Business services.

As an alternative to standard public switched telephone network (PTSN) or landline phone service, Comcast Business offers several VoIP packages: Voice Mobility, Business VoiceEdge Select, Business VoiceEdge, PRI Trunks, and SIP Trunks.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Comcast Business reviews from verified users.

#1 Jive chevron_right
#2 RingCentral chevron_right
#3 magicJack chevron_right
3.5

The Good

• The Basics
  • Plan Options
  • Network Backup
  • Installation

The Basics

Each Comcast VoIP plan includes the following features to improve your communication problems:

• unlimited local calling
  • nationwide long distance
  • directory listing, caller ID
  • call forwarding/remote call forwarding
  • call waiting
  • call hold and transfer
  • call history
  • call park/call pickup
  • distinctive ring
  • auto-rerouting
  • choice of fax line or point-of-sale support

Plan Options

Voice Mobility (or Business Voice) is the simplest voice service Comcast Business offers. It includes all of the following:

• Comcast Basics
  • 1–24 lines
  • caller ID for the same line connected to multiple devices
  • employees choose the features they want
  • runs on one of the largest, secure networks in the nation
  • features Hunt Group calling.

Business VoiceEdge Select is best suited for small businesses that need up to eight phone lines. This package is a little more extensive, offering the following:

• Comcast Business Basics
  • multi-site use
  • limited voicemail features
  • DECT phones
  • automated attendant

Business VoiceEdge can accommodate up to 5,000 lines and has all of the features mentioned in the previous two packages including these additional features:

• Phones
  • HD phones
  • LAN interaction
  • easy access for system managers to access your Comcast account
  • Audio-conferencing
  • companion app
  • readable voicemail
  • busy lamp field
  • shared call appearance

Comcast's Business PRI and SRI trunking services utilize existing PBX and IP BX phone systems to provide VoIP service. This option is great for a customer who wants a service that will integrate with older analog phone systems. Comcast allows users to purchase in single channel increments, which helps to maximize scalability and cost efficiency. Pricing depends on the number of trunks, the number of channels in each trunk, and the connection speed.

Several features are available for an additional fee to each customer, these include voicemail, toll-free number, directory exclusion, additional basic phone line, call queue agent, and receptionist console.

Network Backup

All Comcast voice networks are privately owned and geographically redundant, which means that calls are easily transferred from the network to network in the event of a network or power outage. This also means that calls will be high quality and will most likely never lose connection.

Installation

Installation is simple and performed entirely by an experienced Comcast technician following an initial consultation. A consultation can be scheduled either through the website or over the phone. The installation fee may vary by location, so be sure to confirm this when scheduling the installation service.

The Bad

• Hidden Prices
  • Customer Support

Hidden Prices

The Comcast Business website offers plenty of information on the services and what each one offers, except for the prices. You can get a free quote by providing some information online but that requires a phone call to discuss the different options which is not ideal for some customers. Be aware of any hidden fees such as installation, extra services, early termination, and the activation fee. Also, Comcast requires every client to sign a contract for their services. So if a customer is looking to "try out" VoIP service, we recommend purchasing through a different provider.

Customer Support

If you need tech support, each customer will need to call Comcast directly. The website features a FAQ section, but we had a problem finding some of the answers we were looking for. In addition, some installation and equipment fees may vary by location or bundle purchase, so calling will ensure that you will receive a correct quote. Take a look at the customer satisfaction reviews at the bottom of this page.

The Bottom Line

As a VoIP service provider, and over 20 years in the communication business, Comcast is best for large businesses. Smaller businesses will see higher prices because they'll need to pay additional fees to add on features or need to purchase a bundle to take advantage of lower monthly pricing. In addition, Comcast VoIP service is reliable and secure; Comcast says that blackouts or other outages won't interrupt service so a business can keep running, as usual.

Overall, Comcast Business offers a variety of VoIP services but in the end, it falls short in customer reviews. We recommend doing some company comparisons before selecting this VoIP service provider.

1.8
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Expensive but great service! We used Comcast Business for a number of years and always knew that we were paying a lot but the service that they provided made it worth it. I bet now their prices are lower which would make them a perfect choice!

Brennan
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Over priced, slow internet and bad customer service. While using Comcast VOIP I was very underwhelmed with the product. I have since switched to another provider and it is apparent Comcast wasn't great. I would recommend using another provider.

Ryan Huntsman
February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

The salespersons are liars, the customer service is the worst I've ever dealth with, and the contract is robbery and impossible to get out of without paying 75% of the remaining premiums through the end of your contract(mine was roughly $2500). The product was good, however, but I will never do business with Comcast Xfinity Business ever again.

Brody B
February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Over priced and poor customer service. I felt like I never got what was promised in the package I purchased. When I contacted customer service to resolve the problem it took forever and I never got the result I should have. I would look into another VOIP provider if you are in the market.

Lindsey B
February 5th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

We used Comcast for our VOIP provider at a previous business. It always seemed to be very reliable but the price was very high. I have since found other VOIP providers more reasonably priced. Customer service is good and service is good.

Jeff Blackett
February 1st, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I had a Comcast Business VOIP service a few years back before switching to another provider. The service was alright but the installation took forever. When it came time to close the account I received confirmation of the termination of account, a year later I received a bill for over $6,000. They never turned the service off. It took me 3 months and many phone calls to get the balance adjusted off. Overall I would recommend another VOIP provider.

Shawn
December 7th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I had Comcast business for a year and a half and things went pretty well it was a bit pricey for what we got. The delay in the voice service was challenging at times and made it difficult to communicate. I found myself talking over the other person a lot.

Rischelle Mikkelson
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have had Comcast VOIP for several years and have never had an interruption in service. Voice is always clear. We like the bundle package they offer that also includes Internet.

Robert Miller
August 20th, 2018 DETAILS

As long as you don not have to call for support, it works great 90+% of the time. You have an issue and logging into your account doesn't fix it (which the message tells you over and over while you wait) hold on and put some real time aside. I have the same problem every time i add a new employee and days later still not in the system. My customers do not care about my problems, Comcast doesn't care about my problem. The trickle down effect only trickles up to me and i get screwed. Someone needs to have equal coverage in every area out there. WHERE ARE YOU?

Merrie Simek
February 15th, 2018 La Grange Park, IL DETAILS

The old story tried to disconnect my service and found out I will have to pay for an additional 60 days. This was not in my original contract but in an online disclosure but by then you have signed up for service and have no recourse. I would not recommend business Comcast for anyone. These people are lower than low.

Caryn Curtin
November 2nd, 2017 DETAILS

We sold our company this summer after 28 years of business. I disconnected all my utilities on August 25th... phone, electric, gas. I received final bills for my electric and gas, but came to discover that Comcast (in fine print) continued my services for an additional 60 days after we moved out of our building at the end of August. I was not aware of this and as I was NOT currently in a contract. I am EXTREMELY displeased with Comcast Business. All business owners, BEWARE!!!

Nancy Holbert
September 11th, 2017 Salem, OR

I needed a tech to help solve an internet access problem. Aaron came during the scheduled window and called to let me know that he was on his way. He was very polite and nice, quickly discovered the problem and fixed it. This was such a difference from the last time I needed a tech and I was so relieved to see him arrive in a timely fashion and to not have to listen to lectures about how I should have fixed it my self. As I am in a power chair I am very limited in what I can do myself and previous experience was to be told I should not call for small problems. As I said, today was such a difference and pleasant experience. Thank you.

Mike Caruso
August 14th, 2017 Clarksville, MD

Comcast Business turned out to be a choice I regretted. My business phone line dropped calls frequently and service was never able to fix it. Yesterday I received a letter from ComCast indicating that they noticed that I have a TV box connected to my service and they were going to add a change to my bill. It is just not true. I have never connected a TV box to my ComCast modem the 3 years I had the service AND I moved my office 3 months ago and unplugged my modem then.

Inday Dicdican
June 8th, 2017 Palo Alto, CA

We have Comcast business for phone and internet for almost 5 years. The price increase was almost ridiculous each year. They will sign you up for a deal that only last for a year and jack the price up. Customer Service was rude, unprofessional, and do not care about addressing the issues at hand. Comcast need major overhaul on their staff > they need to train them how to be polite,courteous and not rude to their customers who pay their bills on time.

Charlie Duffy
February 3rd, 2017 Beverly, MA

Comcast in early days (12 years ago) was real good for business. I had no problem with tech support. This was around the time they started to enter their Business market and I would get a commission check from Comcast to transfer dial tone from Verizon I install new and legacy systems for the past 35 years. Today they sell a boat load of features and basically no support for Comcast Business Edge and if you can't figure it out with an It person. I'm both Two things are at stake for up-time. Your phone and network are provisioned as one. Constant cable modem and voice quality needs an IT person who really knows the Voice path on Quality of service.. Let's say they sell you the voice and Data Package based on on old school T-1's . It's all the same. The FCC 24 channels have not changed the cost. It boils down to bandwidth and quality of service. Let's say on a good day Comcast sells my customer a fractional t-1 without provisions that I may need to get on the horn call for them to fix? They will just tell you to upgrade to the next Crkt level. Here is how it works in real time based on a hosted solution on a 24 channel .. 12 people on the Phone at once with 12 computes on line will result in a reduce the speed of half the crkt. Now you get latency and echo cut off on the traffic. The example is 12 X12 based on the 10 based on the 100base T crkt. We don't always have full bandwidth but everyone based on crkt cost gets the same water pressure from flushing the toilet Who knew?

Larry Remp
January 19th, 2017 Steubenville, OH

This system has given our company more problems than I can begin to explain. The concept sounds great but there are SO many problems that need solved. The people are great but the product is horrible. Thank goodness I had 60 days to get out.

Ruth
October 19th, 2016 Boxford, MA

Hello: We have had Comcast Business service for years....but obviously now need to reconsider. We initially had problems, but these were resolved and the last year has been problem-free. Right now, our phones are forwarding even tho we have turned off call forwarding. We tried to get customer service, but there really is none - and in my recent call the OM said 'try again later.' Funny that they advertise 24/7 customer service? They have NO customer service. Ruth

Paul Feldan
September 20th, 2016 Hatboro, PA

We decided to go to a VOIP system as our phones needed updating. We were told all the wonderful things we could do with the system-none of which has happened. We at least have phones that can make and receive calls but other than that we are worse off than we were. We are paying more for doing less. We have been round and round with support with people telling us different things but have made no progress. We have been trying for 6 months to get this system to do what we were told it could. Should have read the reviews below before i switched.

Armilla
July 21st, 2016 Lawrenceville, GA

If it's possible for me to give zero start, I would give them a zero I have the comcast business for my phone and internet, they for some reason out of completely good weather and nothing happened have a phone outage, but the internet is completely ok. Most 90% of our business come from the callings of the customers, and I couldn't receive or call out any phone calls!!!!!! I have to pay my employees for today's work of nothing, and all the electricities I have to pay today, and the time I wasted!!!!! try to call their customer service that I would like to talk to, waited for over 30 min!!! listening to their stupid comcast infos and couldn't get any live person answering!!!! this is the second time this happens listen to my warnings!!!! Don't use their phone and internet service, it's soooooo stupid!!!

Fred Astaire Dance Studio Hamden
July 21st, 2016 Hamden, CT

We're a small business and my employees work on appointments, so when the phone is down we loose money, we can't book appointments, get cancellations or move things around. Additionally my credit card machine works with their phone service. Far too often we find out that they have an outage somewhere and we're out service. They will not notify you when it's up, you just have to keep grabbing the phone every few minutes, and even if there is a dial tone, actually dial someone to see if it's working. Customer service lets you know that you should have service within 24 hours. I can't take payments, appointments, confirmations, anything. They responded with that's the best we can do.

Andy
January 11th, 2016 Seattle, WA

Beware. These people are crooks! We moved our business to a temporary location for 10 months while we were forced to close because of a large construction project. As we were moving back and wanting to discontinue our service we were told that we had signed a two year contract and could not cancel. No amount of talking (to four different people) did any good. We are still paying. We threatened to cancel our home service which we have had for over 25 years and we were told "Do what you think you need to do." Apparently there is no connection between Comcast Business and the service we have at home. We will NEVER have anything to do with Comcast Business again.

C Schuk
January 6th, 2016 Santa Clara, CA

Comcast is about 20 years behind the BYOD world. the documentation to configure service on your own devices is minimal, and phone service has to be configured on their end, which isn't documented anywhere. I installed a new cable modem and Comcast Voice has no dial tone. The Internet connection works just fine. There's no documentation on the website, and after opening a customer support chat, I had to phone another number -- good thing I still have an ATT landline! Then I had to go through the voicemail menu rigamarole, listen to ads trying to sell me new services-- while I'm on hold because the service I'm already paying for doesn't work -- verify that I am who I say I am, and then read the CMAC and MTA numbers to the customer support rep. Result: after an hour, still no dial tone. But they're working on it. Other than that, the phone service is fine.

Edwina Sniezek
November 16th, 2015 Lanham, MD

Comcast VoIP is the worst company I have ever dealt with. We have been in business since 1987, have dealt with Verizon, AT&T, Cox. It is so bad that we are now on our third week with them and still our phones are not functioning properly. Never listen to their promises because they are empty. Tejuana is incompetent, Toni, her manager is worst and her boss, Nina is AWOL. She did not even response to my e-mail requesring explanations for all the errors her staff had committed. The sales are good but once you have signed the dotted line it is downhill from there. Contact me if you want to know more. There must be some incentive for people to give them good reviews.

Michael
May 7th, 2015

I was a comcast user back in 2007 and the service was nice . No problems at all

Steve
April 6th, 2015 Holliston, MA

The service works fine, though it's expensive. Comcast fails completely with customer support. Tech support reps are friendly and try hard but Comcast's internal systems are so screwed up that they're completely ineffective - unable to resolve the most basic problems. After 2 years with Comcast, their systems still show that we're not a Business VoiceEdge customer - though we are, and their reps agree they can see (somewhere else) that we are. Because of this problem with my account, they can't even start to address the REAL problem I'm having that caused me to call for support in the first place. Despite HOURS on the phone with them over the last 6 days, including 2 more hours today (I'm currently on yet another call with them to resolve this... over an hour and counting), there's zero progress. Zip. Zero. Nada. Comcast doesn't let customers talk to their Tier 2 reps, and despite asking several times in the last 6 days to escalate and speak with a supervisor, I have yet to be able to speak with one. So I'm left with a very friendly but ineffective Tier 1 rep, with no recourse but writing reviews to warn their prospective business customers that if you think the reason you're paying a premium is for business class support, FORGET ABOUT IT. It will not happen. Check their other reviews and customer writeups and see if I'm wrong. Go with a company that cares about their customers. Oh... but their marketing people sure care about customers. I receive 3 or 4 mailings WEEKLY telling us we can save by switching to Comcast. I called a month ago to have them take me off their marketing list. They agreed but the rep sort of snickered and said it might take a while for the removal. Needless to say, we're still receiving the mailings. Update: At 76 minutes into the call, a supervisor finally came on the line briefly. He offered no apology and no solution. Just that they would keep looking into it. Another completely useless interaction. It's now 91 minutes and we're no closer to resolution. I'm submitting the review. Extremely, extremely frustrating. We will be looking for another VoIP provider.

tommy
April 6th, 2015 Arvada, CO

I have never lost my cool like I did today at the office. Comcast Business VoiceEdge is the worst company and service ever. I have had a phone down for a month. Being patient was not a virtue. Literally by the end of the day today they had me trying to program the phone, they sent me 2 weeks ago, that wasn't programmed correctly the first time and then tried to blame me for it not working. I am staring at a phone that is supposed to work when plugged into any LAN connection and guess what... It's not working. I have set it as my goal to not take my complaints to social media until they get this taken care of. Did I forget to tell u that they want to charge me a $99 service charge to come and reprogram the phone they didn't program right in the first place.