Founded in 2013 and based in Los Angeles, California, Defense Tax Group is a tax relief advocate firm that utilizes lawyers and attorneys to help clients with tax issues. Clients can come to the company for help ending wage garnishments, averting asset seizures, removing bank levies, and more. Defense Tax Group does not appear to be a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP), though it is a member of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers (ASTPS).

Continue reading for more information, as well as Defense Tax Group reviews.

The Good

• Tax Services
  • Three-Step Process
  • Educational Blog
  • Many Services
  • Professional Memberships
  • Professional Team
  • Defense Tax Group Cost
  • No Minimum Debt Requirement

Tax Services

Defense Tax Group uses a team of tax attorneys to help clients resolve tax problems and settle tax debt for less than what is originally owed to the IRS. Clients can come to the company for help removing tax liens, preventing wage garnishments, stopping bank levies, averting property seizure, settling payroll and sales tax debts, reducing and removing interest charges, etc. For clients that need representation for a tax issue but can't afford it, Defense Tax Group provides financing for tax debt attorney retainers. Every client automatically qualifies for financing.

Three-Step Process

The company works with a three-step process to achieve tax relief for clients. First, clients request a free consultation. A consultant will contact the client back and go over the tax problem. An IRS tax attorney will then customize a tax debt solution plan to most efficiently solve the client's tax issue.

Educational Blog

Those who want to learn more about issues in the tax industry can take advantage of the information on Defense Tax Group's blog.

Many Services

The tax experts at Defense Tax Group are trained to tackle almost any tax issue you might have. Becuase the tax solution depends greatly on the individual tax issue that each customer will have, much depends on the ability of the IRS tax attorneys employed at the company. Reviews indicate that the experts at Defense Tax Group are skilled and able to provide a wide array of tax services, including:

• Tax Debt Settlement
  • Removal of Interest Charges/Penalties
  • Removal of Tax Liens
  • Wage Garnishment Prevention
  • Bank Levy Prevention
  • Property Seizure Prevention
  • Settlement of Payroll and Sales Tax Debts

The company website also clarifies that its team can help with installment agreements, not currently collectible status, offer in compromise agreements, partial payment installment agreements, bankruptcy help, and innocent spouse relief to name a few. Customers will likely find multiple avenues for tax relief at Defense Tax Group.

Professional Memberships

Defense Tax Group is a member of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers (ASTPS) and employs enrolled agents who are certified by the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA), and trained tax attorneys with law degrees. However, the company does not clarify whether it is accredited by the National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP).

Professional Team

Defense Tax Group employs a highly trained team of IRS tax attorneys, CPAs, enrolled agents (EAs), and federal tax lawyers. Experts such as these are familiar with both state and federal tax law, can negotiate with the IRS, and can help you eliminate interest charges and penalties.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Mackenzie King

"Everyone I worked with at Defense Tax was kind and understanding of my situation. They saved me a lot of money, time, and stress. I couldn’t be happier with their service and the outcome."

Defense Tax Group Cost

Defense Tax Group's resolution fees start at $750 and go up from there. Investigation costs between $0 and $500 alone depending on whether you're dealing with state, IRS, or business tax. Don't be surprised if your bills come out to around $1,250 or above (between investigation fees and resolution fees). The company offers free consultations in order to establish more accurate pricing information.

No Minimum Debt Requirement

The company does not have a minimum debt requirement, meaning that those with lower debt amounts have the chance to work with Defense Tax Group. The company has also stated that it does do pro bono cases and is willing to help those who are struggling financially.

To see if you are eligible for Defense Tax Group's services, you can also submit your case anonymously. This is a nice feature because potential clients do not have to provide all of their personal information or schedule an appointment with Defense Tax Group without knowing whether or not they will qualify for services.

The Bad

Limited Online Cost Information

Defense Tax Group does not offer cost information on its website. There is also not an online quote system. This can be frustrating for potential clients, and it would be nice to see an average pricing for its tax relief services. Those who are interested in Defense Tax Group's services should take advantage of the free consultation to learn specific information about the process and costs for their situation.

The Bottom Line

Defense Tax Group utilizes tax attorneys and federal lawyers to help clients resolve tax debt problems. Clients can enjoy a free consultation, and resolution plans are customized to each client's unique tax situation. The company does not disclose a minimum debt requirement on its website, but interested individuals may contact the company for more information.

View Best Tax Relief Companies

Defense Tax Group Frequently Asked Questions

Who is the Defense Tax Group?

Defense Tax Group is a full service tax relief firm that assists individuals, businesses, and families from the disastrous effects of owing the IRS and/or state. We consist of attorneys, CPAs, enrolled agents, tax preparers, and case managers with over 100 years combined experience in fighting for your financial freedom.

We specialize in resolving tax debt, stopping and preventing wage garnishments, removing bank levies, and avoiding property seizures. Defense Tax Group has helped thousands of people and businesses save hundreds of millions of dollars. We will fight to protect your financial stability and help you enjoy life without the stress of owing the IRS and/or state.

What tax problems does Defense Tax Group help with?

The most crucial factor in obtaining the best results with your tax issue is the ability to hire an experienced and successful tax attorney. Defense Tax Group has the expertise you need to successfully solve your tax issue and allow you to enjoy life free of tax debt. Defense Tax Group specializes in matters including, but not limited to:

• Settling your tax debt for a fraction owed
  • Stopping or preventing wage garnishments
  • Removing tax liens filed by the IRS or state
  • Eliminating penalties and interest charges
  • Eliminating or preventing bank levies
  • Eliminating or preventing property seizures
  • Settling payroll issues
  • Settling sales tax debts
  • Tax return preparation
  • Audit representation

What are my tax relief options?

Installment Agreement

The Installment Agreement program is where the IRS or State will take monthly payments to pay down your tax bill. The biggest struggle with the Installment Agreement is the IRS or State will typically try and force you into a payment schedule that will become a burden. Our expertise in negotiating the lowest possible amount to pay the IRS or State shines when setting up an Installment Agreement

Offer in Compromise

Offer in Compromise (OIC) is one of the most sought out and difficult program for taxpayers to obtain. An Offer in Compromise (OIC) is where the IRS or State agree to settle your tax liabilities for less than the full amount owed. Though this is a very difficult program to be successful in, we have saved our clients millions using the Offer in Compromise program.

Currently Not Collectible

In some instances that even though you agree with the debt you owe to the IRS or State, but due to your current situation you cannot afford to make any payments on the debt owed. We can set you up in a Non-collectible status called CNC. Once in CNC the IRS or State will cease any collection activities.

Penalty Abatement

Applying for an IRS Penalty Abatement there are many factors and circumstances that come to play when you want to be relieved of debts and penalties placed on you by the IRS or State. The most important factor to achieving a successful Penalty Abatement is knowing how to communicate with the IRS. With over 100 years of combined experience our attorneys can communicate with the IRS or State.

Collection Statute Expiration Date (CSED)

Statute of Limitations On Collection Statute Expiration Date (CSED) IRS CSED. One of the many unknown laws associated with IRS collection practices is there is a statute of limitation on how long they can collect. Though there is a gray area it is typically 10 years from the debt occurred. That said if a tax payer has not filed or there were negotiations involved during those 10 years there can be additional years added to the collectability of the IRS tax debt.

Innocent Spouse

When a tax issue occurs and the one of the partners was unaware of the tax debt or was not in charge of the financials there is a program called Innocent Spouse Tax Relief where as a couple that has filed joint taxes only one of the two may be required to pay the balance owed to the IRS.

Amending Tax Returns

For some individuals back tax issues the best solution is amending their state or federal tax returns. Though many individuals are certified to do tax returns, unfortunately many are not qualified or experienced and miss allowable deductions or worse claim deductions which should not have been claimed. Here at Defense Tax Group we do over one thousands tax returns a year, and have extensive knowledge on getting you the most back on your returns as well as being able to fix past returns that may have been filed in the past.

How much does Defense Tax Group charge?

Pricing varies on each individual's particular case. We offer a free consultation and will initiate a tax case with a down payment and set up a payment arrangement. We treat each person as a full-paid client. The typical fees range from $300 to $3,900 depending on the work required to resolve your tax issues.

What kind of tax professionals does Defense Tax Group employ?

We employ the following tax professionals:

• Attorneys
  • CPA
  • Enrolled agents
  • Certified tax preparers
  • Settlement officers

5.0

Mr. DeClue

March 20th, 2019 Indianapolis, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The people at defense tax took my case and represented me until an acceptable offer in compromise was accepted by the IRS!! Thanks to all of the professional representatives, accountants and lawyers my case has been settled satisfactorily!!

Oct 15, 2019

Thank youMr DeClue, we appreciate your trust in Defense Tax Group as well as you taking the time to make a review.

Louethel Boyd Campbell

March 19th, 2019 Mobile, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This Company was an answer to my prayers. I had been to stressed out with IRS for years. I found this company. I am now so at ease. Defense Tax has shown nothing but Professionalism. When I needed questions answered Karen and Wendy were the best. Im finally sleeping @ night with peace. I have nothing but the BEST from them. I advise anyone. If u Need assistance with IRS Defense Tax are the BEST!!

John Beauchamp

March 12th, 2019 Calumet City, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Defense Tax Group is very professional, prompt and cares a great deal about their customers. I will be recommending them in the future and will contact them again if the need arises !

Adam Carl

March 7th, 2019 Encinitas, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Only thing I can say is , they lived up to everything I was promised and more. Living out of the area of Defense I worried, but i really should not have. I saved over $17,500 and now have the IRS off my back. I would with Mr S directly and he was kind understanding and very helpful. I have been worried and stressed for three years, not any more I would give them a 1,000 stars if possible.

Oct 03, 2019

What a great review, thank you for taking the time to express yourself. We truly enjoyed helping you.

daniel Calihan

January 17th, 2019 San Francisco, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hired Defense and there are great. Did my past due tax returns as well as negotiated my back tax debt . I would use them moving forward with any tax issues I may have. Great company to work with.

Oct 03, 2019

Thank you for the kind words. It was a pleasure assisting you with your tax need.

Angela Brown

January 14th, 2019 Oak Park, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently hired Defense Tax Group for back tax help. Their team members were so helpful and saved me over $25,000. I have referred my friends to them and they all have been very happy too. I highly recommend their service.

Walter Wilkes

January 14th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Defense Tax Group in July after getting a letter from the IRS, They worked fast and showed compassion that made the daunting process easy and painless. They did 6 years of tax returns for me and ended up saving me over $14,000 dollars. What a relief and a complete 100% satisfied with Defense tax Group.

Oct 03, 2019

Thank you Walter, you were a pleasure to work with. Thanks for the kind words.

Steve Stark

January 14th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great experience all around. Very helpful kind and understanding. I saved money time and energy by hiring Defense Tax.

Nov 04, 2019

Thank you Steve for your review, we appreciate yo taking time at of your day. It was a pleasure to assist you. Defense Tax

Shawn white

January 1st, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I hired Defense Tax after receiving a letter from the IRS saying I owed them 34,000 and was going to get garnished. Defense got me into a collection hold in 2 hours and settled my debt for 3,000. Great colony and service .

Oct 08, 2019

Thank you Shawn for the great review. It was a pleasure helping you get through a tough time.

Miguel Rosario

November 20th, 2018 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My name is Miguel Rosario. I was very satified with their services. They were very professional and they solved my case very fast...i will definitely recommend this company to anyone that has finacial debt...they are responsible and trusworthy.

Sarah Bachez

October 24th, 2018 San Pedro, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great friendly service. Quick response for updates. Amazing results for my case. Staff is very knowledgeable. When I was contacted about Defense Tax about taking my case the sales representative was very patient of explaining my many option of how they work with me.

JLBlack

October 18th, 2018 Sherwood, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My tax situation was so out of control I was at a complete loss as to what to do. I am so glad I choose Defense Tax Group. They are so professional and reassuring. DTG was available to answer questions any time I needed. I highly recommend Defense Tax Group.

Eric

September 21st, 2018 Venice, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So, 8 years of back taxes piled up from a company that illegally 1099'ed me......Couldn't maintain a bank account, never got any current refunds......A real pain. I was referred to Defense Tax by my mail man. I was a bit skeptical but extremely satisfied in the end. Defense Tax settles my $56,000 debt with the IRS for $5,000 and got a very reasonable payment plan to the FTB. I was relieved an actual attorney over saw my "case". Everyone was 100% professional. Thank you!!!!!

Zandra Jackson

September 18th, 2018 Van Nuys, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Defense Tax Group helped me with my tax issue. Great customer service and communication. Thank you for your assistance Defense Tax Group. Keep up the GREAT work! Zandra

Danielle Ferraro

September 14th, 2018 Playa del Rey, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Defense tax group helped my husband and I immensely. They were professional yet empathetic to our situation and saved us thousand of dollars. I would refer them to any family or close friend. I could not thank them enough for their services.

Sukanya Fisher

September 14th, 2018 Woodland Hills, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Defense Tax Group worked with me on my tax return. Their communication and customer service were outstanding. I am very happy with the job they did and the service I received. Thank you Defense Tax Group! Sukanya

Mike Begovich

September 12th, 2018 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would give more stars if I could! The team at DTG was incredibly prompt in their response, and really took the time to answer my questions. On top of being thorough and knowledgeable, the handled my situation and correspondence with incredible understanding and kindness. I highly recommend!

Sara atlas

September 9th, 2018 Playa del Rey, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am Thrillled ! I just got my letter from the IRS saving me $90,000 . I can’t even explain how incredible everyone at Defense Tax is. If you owe back taxes you should definitely call Defense Tax.

Oct 03, 2019

Thank you Sarah, we enjoyed helping you.

Chris Bryan

September 6th, 2018 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thank you everyone at Defense Tax Group for helping me regain piece of mind....I had over $30,000 in back taxes that I thought was unmanageable but I now have a handle on.

Michael

August 15th, 2018 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always available to help and answer any of my questions when needed.

Jw

August 15th, 2018 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worked with tax defense for the last three years. Great company , very attentive and professional. I highly recommend working with them.

Oct 08, 2019

Thanks you for your review. It was a pleasure helping you with your tax needs.

Mark Hughes

August 14th, 2018 Woodland Hills, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I reached out to them after attempting to resolve an IRS tax matter on my own. After my consultation I felt confident that I would be well represented. I most appreciated the honest evaluation of my situation and their willingness to go the extra mile to provide my case with the absolute best results available considering I had an ability to pay off these taxes. I would recommend them to anyone that wants a no BS approach to their situation.

Steve friscos

August 12th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had an unbelievable experience with defense tax group. They were prompt, efficient, and I would highly recommend them. I would use defense year after year.

Todd Thompson

August 3rd, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent company! Saved me tens of thousands and lots of stress. Very professional and extremely vigilant to my specific needs. Definitely recommended and will use in the future when the time arises!

Glen Vogel

August 1st, 2018 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was at my wits end with taxes and the government at my door. I didn’t know what to do. Thank god I found the Defense tax guys to help me out . They navigated me through the process and helped me out every step of the way. My anxiety was sky high until I really learned how these guys could help me. I was lost until they showed my what my options are, and once I saw my options and how they could solve my tax problems my anxiety was back to normal. Thank you for the great service.

Jake

August 1st, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thank you Defense Tax Group! They were highly professional throughout the process and saved me $1000s. I will definitely be back next year.

Emilios Eliades

August 1st, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

By far the best service and quality work. If you need your taxes done or fixed, Defense Tax are the people to call.

Court lyn

July 25th, 2018 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hired defense to help me deal with 175,000 back tax issue. They negotiated with the IRS and saved me over 140,000 dollars. I highly recommend them to anyone .

Stephanie alviso

July 20th, 2018 Elk Grove, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overall best experience I’ve had. I would highly highly recommend. Also the team was the friendliest and most helpful I’ve ever encountered.

Ray McMiller

July 20th, 2018 Birmingham, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was able to get a 22,000 tax debt settled for 8,000. The lawyers were very knowledgeable and really have there clients best interest in making settlements.

Jonathan Vink

July 14th, 2018 Playa del Rey, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazing experience.. did all of the hard work and saved me thousands. Recommending to all of my friends..

Hilary manners

July 13th, 2018 Venice, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is great company that I can not recommend enough. They saved me tens of thousands of dollars. They were very professional, attentive and patient. I Do not know what I would have done without them. You will not be disappointed.

Nov 13, 2019

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the time you took to make the review. It was a pleasure being of service.

Kevin Pulcifer

July 13th, 2018 Manhattan Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Super professional, seems like they've been doing this a while. Saved me some serious $$$ too!

Will Walton

July 9th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worked with Defense Tax Group for the last 3 years and can only say they are the best. Defense saved me over $22,000. Defense Tax Group is the best !

Jacquelyn Carson

July 9th, 2018 Tacoma, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So impressed with the professionalism and client care we received with our transaction. The level of care was top shelf and they met all our needs. We have already recommended to our friends and colleagues

Nicolas

July 6th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Found out I had a tax lien that I was unaware of. Defense Tax Group helped me settle the debt and remove the lien. Took all the weight off my shoulders and made the process as painless as possible. Couldn’t have done this on my own.

Noah Sultan

July 6th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I reached out to Defense Tax Group they were able to provide me the solution I needed to get out of my tax troubles. The staff was knowledgeable, welcoming and everything I was looking for.

lisa slavin

June 26th, 2018 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Defense Tax Group has been very helpful and easy to work with. They helped me with my tax issue even getting me a refund from my taxes last year. Everyone was a pleasure and I highly recommend their services.

Jim

June 25th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great, professional service done in an efficient manner.

Steve Will

June 25th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They saved me $44,000. I owed over $48,000 and the IRS settled for $4,000. I can not tell you how amazing this company is. They were kind and helpful the entire way.

Mark

June 21st, 2018 Venice, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had an incredible experience with Defense Tax Group! I had neglected several years of personal income tax filings for years and this was looming over my head like a black cloud. I had 6 years of unfiled returns, I fealt helpless and the task of completing just one year...let alone 6 years was daunting and seemed impossible to complete at the time. I was lucky enough to be referred to Defense Tax Group by someone that I respected and I made the most important call I’ve made in quite a few years! Defense Tax Group immediately put a team of experts on my case. I was sssured that I wouldn’t be victim to exhorbitant late fees, IRS harassment and that my tax situation would be brought up to date in a timely fashion. They were incredibly easy to work with and they got me organized and were even able to get me a refund! If I hadn’t called Defense Tax Group I would still have years of unfiled taxes and I’d be living in fear of the IRS and mounting unsettled tax issues. Tax Defense fixed my problem and even got me money back! It was a phenomenal experience and They’ll handling my taxes for many years to come. Thank you Defense Tax Team!!!

Eric

June 21st, 2018 Venice, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was 65k in arrears to the IRS. They had a garnishment in place. The money they were taking was basically covering interest and penalty fees. I finally decided to look into tax relief. After calling around to a few companies I decided to go with Defense Tax. The main reason was an actual attorney was handling my “case”. Defense Tax represented me in an Offer In Compromise. When all was done and said they settled my 65k debt for 5k. Needless to say I was / am estatic with the results.

John Lydon

June 20th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I hadn't filed my taxes in over eight years and owed over $70k in taxes and penalties. Defense Tax Group was able to wipe out around $60k and put me on payment plans for state and federal. The pressure of not having to worry about the government garnishing my wages was a game changer. Thanks guys!

Rashon Washington

June 20th, 2018 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have cleared up all my tax issues and I file with them every year. Best service you can get.

Rob Mahl

June 20th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

From the President of Defense Tax Group, to the attorney and accountants on staff, unbelievable attention to detail and drive to make the IRS do what was needed for my benefit.

marc robillard

June 20th, 2018 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service, professional and got the job done for me, now I can move forward with my life!!! Thanks Defense tax!