TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.2
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

he "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Tom Walker
July 23rd, 2018 Georgetown, KY

I have used their software for 20 years and have been very satisfied. The last few years it has been getting harder to find where to find forms and other information so they need to be more responsive to people that know and understand taxes, perhaps have a knowledge channels for people that have different levels of understanding, three would be good.

James B nelson
July 23rd, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

This is a very easy way to do your taxes but it is the most conservative possible approach. They basically give on any questionalbe call with the IRS so as not to have any possibility of disagreement. If you have simple taxes--great. But if you have a more complicated situation, figure it out yourself or with an accountant.

Tyler Dean Graham
July 23rd, 2018 Acworth, GA

Intuitive- easy to use. Feel confident that product is thorough and provides a good deal.

Maria Echevarria
July 23rd, 2018 Melrose Park, IL DETAILS

The program is user friendly and customer service is available when you need them. Lower the rates, in the past three years the cost has gone up.

Keith English
July 23rd, 2018 Chester, WV DETAILS

The program is easy to understand and follow

Danielle R
July 23rd, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS

They're great...............nothing needs to change maybe the fees can be lowered cause they aren't kind of extreme

Sara Jane
July 19th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

Turbo Tax is easy to use. The help hints make doing your taxes a breeze.

Jordy Cooley
July 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Super easy to use their online version. Worked great and was easy to e-file so I could get my return super fast.

Sharon Reed
July 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Because I am not super good with computers I worried that I could do my taxes online. Bu this product is super easy to use and responsible priced.

Bob Conley
July 19th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

It's easy to use. I usually get a refund. I do my taxes minutes after I have the proper paperwork available. I wont do my taxes any other way.

Calista Huber
July 17th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

TurboTax makes taxes so easy and fast! I would just say, read all the words carefully... we missed something once and had to do an amendment. It's also easier if you keep your tax papers organized throughout the year.

Jenny whipple
July 17th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I have done my own taxes with Turbo tax for about 15 years. It couldn’t be simpler and I love how easy it is to access my past returns.

Kristy Williams
July 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Have used Turbo Tax many times and am impressed with the ease of use and accuracy of our tax preparation.

Chris Alonzo
July 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I love being able to do my own taxes by following the easy steps. Turbo tax is low cost and convienent when trying to get your taxes done just about anyone can do it.

Taylor Vance
July 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

So quick and easy. They explain everything very well. I have used them ever since I started filing my own taxes and I have never had an issue.

Alicia Holman
July 12th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Easy to use for someone looking to get their taxes done quickly. However, if you have extensive deductions or questions, I felt lost. Wish there was more customer support.

Omar Perez
July 12th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

We have been doing our taxes with Turbo Tax for the past 4 years and always have a fast, convenient time getting through it. We would highly recommend them to friends and family who do taxes on their own because you'll save money, instead of having to pay someone else to do them for you and TT makes it easy to navigate online. They provide step by step questions on how to prepare you taxes to make sure you are doing it correctly before you move forward. We plan to continue using TT since it's so fast and easy.

Rhonda stewart
July 11th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS

Good value for the money. Software easily navigated. Got to be more expensive than I thought it was worth

Kaleb Herbert
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have used turbo tax every year for the past 6 years. It is very easy to follow and I love that you can ask questions, and look for help while working on your taxes. It is easily downloaded on to your computer. I love that I can e-sign and can pay or be paid direct from my bank account.

king
July 10th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

simple and quick to use online ive heard good things from others

Aaron Foote
July 10th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

We have used Turbo Tax for the last few years with no problems. Great and easy to use, especially with the wizard.

Blake Olson
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have been a Turbo Tax user for the past 19 years! It has always been straight forward to use and I have never had any issues either with the program or my tax returns. This has been a great product and I will continue to use it going forward.

L
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have been using TurboTax for about 18 years. The software is very reliable and efficient and deals with most every tax situation for individuals.

Vickie Kingsford
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We use Turbo Tax every year to prepare our taxes. It is easy to understand, use and feel like you have been very thorough in every aspect of preparing your taxes.

Danuel Allen
July 10th, 2018

Super easy to use their online version. Even someone like me without a lot of tax experience was a breeze. Works better if you use year after year as it transfers data from previous years.

James Winnie
July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I'm a CPA and for most people it really doesn't get easier than Turbo Tax if you're doing it yourself. Price is very reasonable, can be purchased anywhere, walks you all the way through your tax return, and offers assistance after filing to guarantee work and represent you if you're audited for a fee. If you have questions through your return it's easy to contact them online or on the phone. Really couldn't ask for a better program. I've been using them for years just because of how much easier it is than to find all the forms and stuff myself.

Amy Stewart
July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We purchase Turbo Tax every year to do our taxes at home. We love the step by step instructions that allows us to get the most back on our taxes. It has been a wonderful product and i would highly recommend it.

Juliet
July 6th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Has done well for us every year. Easy to use.

Jim Stewart
July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Very easy software to navigate. A little pricey.

Kymberlea Burnau
July 6th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

We have been using turbo tax for 5+ (or more) years. We find it to be very user friendly & helpful on prompting questions on these we may have overlooked as possible deductions. Since we do not own any property & file short form, we were tired of paying some of the big brand prices, for such little service. Turbo tax has been perfect for us & is either free to use or a minimal fee based on your needs for that year. Super simple!

Leilani Jones
July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

I love using Turbo Tax it makes filing taxes an simple and easy experience.

Troy Siren
June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

By far the easiest, cheapest and most convenient way to file your taxes!

Taylor Siren
June 21st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

TurboTax is a great company that helps you file your taxes for less.

Joanna Hester
June 18th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

My son had to file taxes for the first time last year. We bought him Turbo Tax and it was easy for him to use for his taxes and walked him through the entire process.

Tom
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Turbo Tax for many years and have had a great experience. Love that they can walk me through the whole process and make sure I get all the deductions I deserve.

Adam Crawley
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I recently used TurboTax. It was so easy to use and there are tons of help resources and instructions. In addition, the website easily let me save and come back to it later if I got busy. The only downside, was that I had to figure out how to access all the paper work myself. I would have loved maybe a seperate service to do all of that for me.

David Lares
May 1st, 2018 Tampa, FL DETAILS

Great tax filing option. I got the maximum return possible.

Don
May 1st, 2018 Montegut, LA DETAILS

Good quality product. A little pricey. And a little "hurray" for the IRS. But the government is their bread and butter.

Lauren Law
April 30th, 2018 Rexburg, ID

I love turbotax when i had to file taxes for the first time, it was so simple and easy to follow and also FREE!

JRosa
April 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Turbo tax is user friendly, helpful, and free!

Jeff Martin
April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I have used TurboTax a lot for my tax needs. It is inexpensive and efficient way to do your taxes yourself. Awesome service.

vicki southall
April 10th, 2018 Grants Pass, OR DETAILS

Fast reliable and accurate fees are steep but you can write them off

Adam
April 10th, 2018 Belmont, CA DETAILS

It is very User Friendly, explores all avenues of deductions, and guidance is helpful, and is updated continuously

Kamae Nowlin
April 10th, 2018 Rossville, GA DETAILS

Too expensive to file state. They don't give an option to just file federal if you'e a paying customer. Which I was.

Landon Robison
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I use TurboTax every year to do my taxes. They make the process as simple as possible and a lot less stressful. It is inexpensive as well. Great resource to use for your taxes.

Amanda
April 5th, 2018 DETAILS

5 Star Company. Love the service and the ease of access. Great customer service.

GreshamWeaver
April 5th, 2018 DETAILS

Excellent! Easy to use and directions are easy to follow.

Eileen R White
April 5th, 2018 DETAILS

I love how they estimate your taxes and bring it to a great completion so you will be satisfied

Darlene
April 5th, 2018 DETAILS

It is easy to use and has helped me save lots of money on preparation fees.

Herman R Soto
April 5th, 2018 DETAILS

Easy to understand, flexibility in obtaining information and reliability