TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

he "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

jenny
October 24th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Best way to file taxes! We have a simple tax return. Not too many deductions or other complicated things when it comes to filing. So we always use Turbo Tax and have a great experience. We typically​ get our refund quickly too!

Tammy Brady
October 24th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Been using for ten years. Easy to follow and questions ensure you receive the maximum refund allowable. Prior records sinc with current year forms to ensure carryover happens.

Amy Leifi
October 23rd, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

I love TurboTax. It's so easy to follow that I've been able to do my taxes for the last several years. I used to pay twice as much for someone else to do my tax prep and they never got as much of a refund as I get with TurboTax. They find all the deductions and recommend different things to do to make sure I maximize my return. I really appreciate that. And if I get stuck, I can live chat with someone and keep moving on.

Brady Hanson
October 19th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

TurboTax is my number one choice with self preparing my taxes each year. The process is easy to walk through and understand. I would highly recommend them each year. It makes it easy for anyone to do their own taxes.

Jason Anderson
October 17th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS

The software has gotten a lot easier to use and very user friendly. It makes doing your taxes understandable and easy to do.

Steve schramm
October 15th, 2018 Salem, UT DETAILS

Easy to transfer data from previous year. Good product but very limited customer support.

Tyra Crockett
September 21st, 2018 American Fork, UT

I love my tubro tax software. I've been using it for the past 10+ years. I've never had any issues with it, and I have some tricky situations like real estate investment property and stock investments. It is very easy to use.

Kimberly Maddock
September 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Turbo Tax make the stress of tax season easy. It takes you step by step through the process and provides easy explanations for the forms.

Sofie Rosenvall
September 19th, 2018 Alpine, UT

We have only ever used Turbo Tax to file our yearly taxes... We love the prompts it gives us and how it guides you step by step... We never feel like we left anything out! We also love that we can do it from our own home, on our own time... Its fast easy and convenient!

Tracy
September 19th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I always use turbo tax, and I love how easy it is to use! I can always count on it to get my taxes right.

Melissa Gillings
September 18th, 2018

Turbo Tax is so user friendly. I really like that if I have any questions the online chat tool is fast, easy, and knowledgeable to help quickly

Isaac Greenwood
September 17th, 2018 Riverton, UT

It does make taxes easy to do online, I just feel like they charge you for everything they can...

Amber Hawkes
September 17th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

We’ve used Turbo Tax for 18 years. I love how all my tax questions are explained online. It’s also a bonus that you can chat with an accountant online if needed to further my knowledge of tax issues.

POLYANA LAVAKI
September 14th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I have been using Turbo tax eversince i qualified to file. I love how easy it is to use them. They explain everything detailed and simple enough to understand and not get confused.

Sarah Ava
September 12th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I used TurboTax for years as a single adult working a full time job, and it was so simple. Step by step help and easy filing online, it was so much more convenient than filling out the paperwork and mailing it in.

Dave Brinton
August 31st, 2018

I enjoy the ease and speed at which I can complete my taxes.

Jo Lars
August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

For simple tax returns, Turbo Tax is great! It is easy to use and easy to follow the step by step instructions.

Thomas Hullinger
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Turbo Tax for many years and I am amazed at how easy it is to use. They walk you through every step of the way, check it for errors and give you the peace of mind that you are getting the highest tax refund possible.

wanda
August 30th, 2018 Saint George, UT

cheap product, it comes with step by step instructions, very easy to follow. I got my return back quick with no issues. Thank you Turbo Tax. I referred a lot of friends, co workers and family members to TurboTax and all have been very happy.

Lesa Burgess
August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

TurboTax is one of the best tax softwares out there. However, you going to be paying a ton for this quality service because it's also the most expensive. Personally, I think it's worth the money because of how user-friendly the software is for your average Joe who's trying to get his taxes done quickly and correctly. They have really good support features so if you have any issues or questions, you can contact turbotax support team. Highly recommend.

Brian Slade
August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Ease of use is the best thing I like about TurboTax. The way the software walks you through all the pertinent questions is great and really makes filing taxes easier to handle.

deb
August 29th, 2018 Midvale, UT

This wasy very easy to file my taxes, loved i could get updates also.

Dylan Findlay
August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I have tried different kinds of tax preparation software over the years but TurboTax is my favorite by far. It is simple to use and double-checks to make sure everything is accurate. Love it!

Leslie
August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

TurboTax is hands down the best tax preparation software out there. Easy to use and has always been accurate.

Tualagi
August 29th, 2018 Saint George, UT

fast, simple, easy and TurboTax provides step by step instruction of what to do. and its cheap!

William
August 28th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I used Turbotax this last year and had mixed results. The paperwork wasn't sent to the irs correctly so that caused some issues and confusion. The actual filing process and costs are very reasonable though.

Kristiane R Durfey
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Turbo Tax in previous years. It was easy to do, it saved your progress and we were able to submit our taxes in a timely manner. Would definitely use them again.

Jr
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

i like that i can do my own taxes on my own. very simple to follow with the instructions that is provided. user friendly for first time users AND cheaper.

Robin
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

love it. i use this every year and i have had no problems submitting my taxes. not to mention the price is very affordable as well.

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

great experience. fast, easy and simple. It is straight forward and everything is included in the package.

J Paul Wright
August 27th, 2018 Central, UT

I used to do all my taxed by hand, up until about 5 years ago. At that time I started using Turbo Tax and it has been a huge time saver, especially considering that it calculates everything for you and easily considers all tax alternatives. For a simple tax program, I would highly recommend it. Even when I have had a couple of small business related expenses, it covered these items easily in my return. I especially like the discount I get at Costco at the beginning of each year.

Shanna
August 27th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Easy to use, great explanations but I prefer to use an accountant

tini mapu
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

I really like turbotax! You can do it yourself online for a fee. you don't have to go in, they have help available for you and it gives step by step instructions. They really are fast. The customer service is very helpful. They are very kind. I would recommend them to anyone.

Phyllis & Larry Goldsworthy
August 27th, 2018 Nathalie, VA DETAILS

Kept up with changes. Like the ease but had to call on a software bug.

Rick Eddy
August 27th, 2018 Raceland, LA DETAILS

Quick, fast, & easy. Excellent value for the money.

Allyah
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

quick, easy, user friendly, and you do it on your on from the comfort of your own home! no hassle waiting in long lines. do it yourself is the best. very simple product to use.

Meliame Selu
August 24th, 2018 Layton, UT

I have done taxes with this company for 4 years and it has been the best. Easy way to do taxes.

Rashida Laumatia
August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Easier and Cheaper to go through someone else. When I tried to use TurboTax one year it said I owed. Went through another agency and all worked out. Didn’t cost me too much and I got my return fast.

Nik Anderson
August 23rd, 2018 South Jordan, UT

They are a great tool for info taxes and keeping track of finance. They have saved us a ton of money.

Kyrstin
August 23rd, 2018 South Jordan, UT

My husband and I love TurboTax. It’s so easy to use and it’s cheap! We feel good about the tax returns we get and feel like TurboTax has a great platform for helping you get your money’s worth!

Kris
August 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We buy our Turbo Tax box from Costco every year. It’s reasonable for the money you spend. It’s clear on the instructions as you walk through the tax return process.

RACHEL RODARTE
August 21st, 2018 Hesperia, CA DETAILS

If you're a first time user, turbotax will explain everything to you, they also have a "HELP" section where you can ask them questions

RACHEL RODARTE
August 21st, 2018 Barnesville, OH DETAILS

Like everything about it. Easy to use, explains everything well also

Phillis Bruchmiller
August 21st, 2018 Humble, TX DETAILS

Good value and easy to use. Good explanation of each question and answer portion.

Nelcy
August 21st, 2018 Spring, TX DETAILS

They are GREAT! always up to date, let you know about any updates while you are prepring your taxes, and even throughout the year. EXCELLENT

Troy Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

I have used TurboTax to complete my tax returns for probably 10 years or more. I like their easy step by step process, and how easy it is to file electronically. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

James Wheeler
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Easiest and most intuitive of all the tax softwares.

Liliuokalani Taliulu
August 17th, 2018 Mililani Town, HI

TurboTax website is completely user friendly. They walk you through each tax item and possible tax situation to ensure you are filing the correct tax forms. The software allows you to import employer and previous tax returns. Overall easy to use and highly recommended.

David Roberts
August 13th, 2018 Arlington, TX DETAILS

great service like it fast easy like it alot best of all of them

Mary Perry
August 13th, 2018 Murfreesboro, TN DETAILS

I have been using this product for over four years and I have never had a problem. Very easy to understand and use.