TurboTax

TurboTax Logo

TurboTax

verified
"Taxes Done Smarter"

TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

he "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Jenn D
April 23rd, 2019 DETAILS

mostly like it --sometimes it is hard to correct weird errors. For example I couldn't delete an incorrect entry on Sched D this year. Overall it's very intuitive and thoroough.

Shandra Shears
April 18th, 2019 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS

Ive used them every year i file and generally do well but this year they charged 144$ for my taxes with no extras being bought, I'am now only getting 52$ for a return. What a joke nothing is free don't fall for it

Ray Talley
April 18th, 2019 Savannah, GA DETAILS

Terrible experience. They tried to sneak in $144 dollars of fees to there "free" filing. One of the fees was $40.00 for direct deposit and they wouldn't allow the refund to be a paper check instead of paying them. If you have a healthcare marketplace plan, you can't use the "free" filing. Then the package they want you to buy didn't include the state. Another 44.00 I went back to H&R Block.

Phoenix
April 18th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

Just did my taxes and was forced to buy a premium account when I was trying to avoid it. No confirmation of the amount I was paying - the website forced me to pay double what I would have for something I'm not even going to use. I hate this company.

C
April 17th, 2019 Mitchell, SD DETAILS

My return makes no sense. I got more last year when I didn't make as much. I hate TurboTax and I hate how they claim to be free when it's NOT, it's a joke and I'll never use it again. You guys SUCK

Abby
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I just got finished filing my taxes through TurboTax. Their services are so useful! Especially coming from a newly married couple with multiple jobs, some of which give us only a 1099, we would not have been able to figure out taxes without TurboTax.

Ruth
April 11th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

My free taxes turned into a $104 bill. Why you ask? Because i was on unemployment last year. That's right, because i was on unemployment, i only made $26,000, and it cost me more to do my taxes. I have used turbo tax my whole life. I will be using taxslyer from now on. Free unless you dont have any money. Pish, $104 for a $400 return.

March 12th, 2019 Coeur d'Alene, ID DETAILS

Don’t use the customer service sucks especially for their Pre paid card. I didn’t get my card in the mail when I was supposed to and when I called they said they would expedite it and then I called the day I was supposed to get it and got told that they sent it standard mail. And that there was nothing they could do and when I asked to speak to a supervisor I got told they would have to call me back even though I told them I couldn’t wait for that because I had to be at work I have had to call customer service 6 times now and all they did was say sorry.

Job Toll
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Good. A little clunky interface. A little expensive

Don
February 20th, 2019 Wilson, OK DETAILS

good experience; the format is very intuitive and easy to use.. They find more deductions than I find on my own.

Margaret
February 20th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

I like the ease of the software. I have been using it for 15+ years. This year there was a huge glitch, with Windows Defender not allowing Turbo Tax to save any files. I have to disable virus protection to save my work. It took four tries before I even found someone at Turbo Tax to help.I received a new download, it did not help. I bought a new CD; that did not work. I spent way too much time trying to speak to a human being at Turbo Tax. I am angry and frustrated.

Whimsy067
February 14th, 2019 Cordova, TN DETAILS

I've been using TurboTax for many years & have never had difficulty completing or filing my taxes. I like that the program guides you through the possible deductions (though I always end up using the standard) and recommends any deductions you may be qualified for so you can at least look into it. I love that I can exit the program and it saves my work so I don't have to start over. I have 2 complaints: Recently married but with no dependents, we were trying to decide if we should file jointly or separately. TurboTax recommended jointly & said they could help us determine which option would be most beneficial. "Help" is a stretch as we had to complete our returns separately to determine the amount of our individual refunds AND THEN start all over and complete the return jointly (that's 3 completions of the process) to determine that our joint return would net us an extra $30 (plus the $40 we save by filing one return). I just think TurboTax should have a quick way of making the comparison if the customer indicates that they don't have dependents. Also, if you want to pay the fee FROM your refund, there is an additional fee of $39.95. So, for the simple tax return, that is a $39.95 fee for the return AND a $39.95 fee for the convenience of having the first fee deducted from your refund. I was able to back my way out of that & charge it with my debit card but still...how many people don't notice it?

LindseyL
February 14th, 2019 Cary, NC

I am single, do not own a home, do not itemize, etc. - very basic filing. I used TurboTax from 2015-2017 with limited issues that were solved before filing. This year, however, I had a 1099-G and as soon as I added the form, I was forced to select the Deluxe version for $39.99. Because I moved out of state in the middle of the year, I had to pay that three times - once for Federal, then for each state - amounting to $120. I stopped right there and tried H&R Block which allowed me to file 100% free and had the identical returns that TurboTax found. The best thing about TurboTax is how user friendly it is. They ask lots of questions to make sure you're really getting the highest refund. You can't miss anything because of how easy and straight-forward it is. However, they do seem to be charging for more and more features, as I was unable to retrieve my previous returns without paying.

MIKE
February 14th, 2019 Santa Fe, NM DETAILS

Used them for nearly 10 years. It would be nice to see returning customer benefits and offers similar to what a new Turbo Tax customer would get.

Maria
February 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Easy, easy, easy. Dependable. I like that the information from the previous year populates into the current tax year.

Holly
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I absolutely love TurboTax. So easy to use so user-friendly. I have been using it over 12 years

Nancy Brown
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Every year I buy the cd and then remember I don't have a cd drive. Customer service is always quick and efficient at downloading the program to my personal device. The program itself is extremely user-friendly, clear in explanation, and helps me in obtaining a good return. I am a five-year repeat customer.

Michelle De Oliveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

My husband and I use TurboTax every year to do our taxes. It is so simple to use and I love that it walks you through everything step by step. I also like that we can do it ourselves and save some money!

JR Suguturaga
February 13th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Everything needed for tax filing is provided and you can upgrade for more services when needed at a reasonable price.

Jonas De Olveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

My wife and I use turboTax every year to do our taxes. I am pleased with how easy it is to use and that I can get any questions answered that come up. It is also helpful that it takes me step by step so I can make sure that I don't miss anything.

JAKE
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have used Turbo Tax before and had a good experience. I used them when I was younger and my tax returns weren't as complicated. I do feel like its great for college students/newly married couples because it's fairly easy and inexpensive.

Erin
February 13th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

We’ve used Turbo Tax for the past 18 years. It’s easy to use and I love that it basically does all the work for you. It’s a reasonable price. We haven’t had any problems or audits. We will continue to use Turbo Tax rather than a tax consultant for these reasons.

Tamra
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Easy to use, especially if you know nothing about taxes. I love the step by step walk you through what style.

Sarah Wright
February 12th, 2019 DETAILS

I have been using Turbo tax for 6 or 7 years now. it has made tax preparation really easy.

S Suguturaga
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

The product is a great price and the process is very user-friendly. It also provides different upgrades for more complex services and customer service help when needed.

Ponch Thompson
February 12th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I use it every year. It is intuitive. The online helps are great. It will help complete taxes quickly and completely!

Nathan Hill
February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use turbo tax every year to do my own taxes. I like how organized it is and how they keep track of past years things for me. I have never had any problems with them and i feel I have been able to get the best return through them.

Jada Scott
February 12th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Turbo Tax is an easy and inexpensive way to file your taxes. I've used it for over seven years and never had any problems.

Christy Suguturaga
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Started using turbo tax as soon as I learned to file taxes. Never lets me down. Makes sense of all the lingo that only comes into my life once a year. I could not do my taxes with out it. I love the Costco deal with the state included. Thank you for making my life easier. Can’t say that about most things. Careful how fast you finish your taxes. I can’t believe it every time!

Brennan
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I use TurboTax every year and every year I am happy that I did. The software is so easy to navigate and use. The on screen explanations are very helpful if you have any questions and if you need more detail customer service is more than willing to help. The price is awesome and product even better.

Charlene Mackay
February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I feel really comfortable working with Turbo Tax to do our taxes. The program walks you through every area and looks for ways to reduce our taxes/increase our refund. Much better than paying someone a high fee for simple tax prep!

Stef T
February 8th, 2019 Jamestown, NY DETAILS

Very misleading fees!! By the time I e-signed and filed apparently I was charged for the deluxe package (which is only acceptable for single/no dependent people). This information should've been available to me from the very beginning, but was not. I will not be using this online service ever again. I thought I was saving money, instead I paid $40 more than where I usually go to get my taxes done. I even called and talked to a representative, which just informed me that she could not refund me for this money I didn't know I was being charged and that she was "sorry". Very disappointed in this false advertising and UNCLEAR information provided.

Brody B
February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Turbo Tax is the only tax prep service I will use. The software is so easy to use and the customer service department helps out with any question you might have along the way. I will always recommend Turbo Tax to absolutely anyone!

Erikka N
February 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Have used turbo tax before when I was younger. Once our tax return became more complicated through the years we decided to switch to another service. It was a little more difficult to try and do the complicated taxes through it. But for basic taxes it worked really well.

Emily
February 7th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

TurboTax makes it really easy to do taxes. The instructions are very easy to follow; however, they always say that you can file for free, then they tack on a huge fee at the end. If you don't pay, they delete all of your information.

David M Rose
February 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I hate doing taxes but TurboTax made it easy and fun. I've used the software for over 10 years and usually buy it at Costco. I recently walked my friend through it and he found it very user friendly. It is a little annoying to always have to update the software every time you log in.

Larry Heaton
February 6th, 2019 Bountiful, UT DETAILS

I’ve used TurboTax for decades now and don’t even think of doing my returns any other way. It’s easy, it’s fast. It’s accurate. Takes the mystery of taxes into everyday terms and transactions. And there’s help on hand if needed.

Sunny Perry
February 6th, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

So easy to file. Explains every step. So happy to have this cheap easy way to file at home.

Laurie Willis
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

This software makes taxes so much less intimidating. Literally, saving my hundreds from hiring a professional.

Denna Collier
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Have been using for over 10 years. I hate having to pay extra for additional services.

tara
February 5th, 2019 West Jefferson, OH DETAILS

Horrible, deceptive, horrible What was free no longer is, there are deceptive fees that are not explained. CHANGED DRAMATICALLY from 2018-2019

Stacy
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Love TurboTax. We’ve used them for many many years! They’ve been the best price with best refunds

Lindsey B
February 5th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I always use Turbo Tax and will never use another Tax Prep Service. I started using Turbo Tax because of a bad experience with another prep service and have been happy ever since. Their product is easy to use and the help from the certified CPA's helps if you run into a problem. Use Turbo Tax and you wont be disjointed!

Chelsea Horrocks
February 5th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I love that I can confidently file my taxes from home. And when I file electronically I get my rebate so fast! I love TurboTax- but it is a hassle to load, which I probably more a reflection of my computer than the actual product.

August Moulton
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Turbo tax is the easiest software to use for tax preparation. If you aren’t using a CPA, this is the way to go for DIY’ers in the tax department.

Jason Brown
February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

My wife and I have used this product a few times and have never had any issues with it. It is comprehensive and thorough. Each year it becomes more and more intuitive and up-to-date on the newest tax policies.

Lindsey A Brown
February 1st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Having used Turbo Tax several times in the past I can say its very easy to navigate and very user-friendly. With that said, I'd say its best for people who do not have a complex tax return. Someone who has simple forms and a little more basic return would be the best customer for Turbo Tax.

Virginia Rosenthal
January 31st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I used TurboTax for over five years to prepare my own tax returns. It was so easy to use, plus I always felt like everything was correct on my returns. The best part was seeing the refund amount change with every input.

Rochelle Thompson
January 31st, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

We use Turbo Tax each year to do our taxes. It is easy, convenient and WELL WORTH the money. Much cheaper than an accountant. We did a side by side eval .... did turbo and went to the accountant and Turbo did just as well. NO MORE BEAN COUNTERS for us!!!!

Jeff Blackett
January 31st, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have used Turbo Tax for many years after having a bad experience with another Tax Prep Service. I enjoy the ease of use of their software. Everything has a very simple explanation and if you have any questions there are many resources to answer your question. Every year my taxes are accurate and that helps with peace of mind.