TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.2
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

he "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Grant Lofgreen
June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT

So easy to use. Process is very intuitive and saves all records for future reference. Makes doing taxes easy.

Beth Farmer
June 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I've always been afraid to file my own taxes. It just seemed like an overwhelming process that I would get wrong. I had to file my 2018 taxes myself this year and I was so pleasantly surprised with TurboTax. They made it SO easy! And I got a bigger refund than I expected even after having to pay taxes for some freelance work. I'm also a fan of having my taxes filed digitally and I can log in and reference them whenever I need to. I will definitely be using TurboTax again next year. Worth the money!

Rylie Crandall
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I only use TurboTax for my taxes because they make it simple and easy to understand. My dad recommended this to me and is been pleased with this company.

Myles Cox
June 3rd, 2019 Portland, OR

I use the free Turbotax every year and it's always been reliable and easy to use.

Kimberli Shaner
June 3rd, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS

I appreciate the concept, but they didn't stand by their analysis of my taxes when there was a discrepancy, even after paying for audit protection.

Jeremy
June 3rd, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

Makes my taxes so much easier. I have used this for 10 years straight now. I will continue to use it.

Brittany Bray
May 31st, 2019 Springville, UT

We were in a panic with taxes. Turbo got us right in and helped us out. They saved us!

Claudia Soto
May 31st, 2019 Park City, UT DETAILS

TurboTax is a great service! I had used other tax services before, but TurboTax is much more accessible, faster, easier to use, and more reliable! I got my full tax return and did not have to worry! I will continue to use TurboTax every tax season!

Dalin Conner
May 30th, 2019 Fallon, NV DETAILS

Ive used turbo tax every year to file my taxes and it cannot get any more simple than this. They walk you through every process and every document you'll need. It keeps you updated along the way what your return will be based on the options you choose too.

Liana
May 28th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

I had issues with them this year, and they wouldn't let me efile. It was pretty frustrating, because if I had know I couldn't efile, I wouldn't have paid money for them, but at that point I was in too deep.

Jacob Shaner
May 28th, 2019

I’ve used this to prepare my taxes. I used the online version. It worked really well, but I ended up having to mail the forms. I preferred H R Block.

E S
May 28th, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS

Makes you pay before the government accepts the return and then gives no refund. Not good customer service. Does not always give accurate information about taxes. However, otherwise good help.

Lori
May 17th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

My husband uses TurboTax every year to do and file our taxes. We have never had any mistakes and the process is easy. The cost for the software is way lower and affordable than you might expect.

kerry perez
May 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I use it every year, very easy to use, interactive, my two teens that work now use it themselves for filing their taxes. the only knock so far is they try to sell you bigger packages all the time. but for what i need its working for me!!

Stephanie
May 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

We have used TurboTax for years and I have already recommended it to many other people. It makes doing your taxes so easy and affordable. Great deal for a great result.

Hannah Judd
May 16th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

They do a good job making things seem easy. However, it drives me crazy that they continue to add fees for extra forms. For example, just because I had a foreign bank account, I would have to pay an extra fee - even though I literally wouldn't be filing a single extra form because I never had more than $10k in that bank account. It's also just not very transparent - as a CPA myself, I want more ability to see how the numbers I am inputting are flowing through to the forms. But, overall their services are pretty good and I used them once for an amended return, and it wasn't too hard.

Scott
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Since using Turbo Tax I will never pay anyone to do my taxes again. The software is easy to use and the help options are there just in case you have any questions along the way. I think people owe it to themselves to give TurboTax a try.

Karrie
May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We use TurboTax every year to file our state and federal taxes. I know that our tax circumstances are fairly straight forward but knowing the software I would still be very confident in TurboTax even if they weren't. You can't beat the price and ease of use!

Craig
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

TurboTax is amazing software. I have been able to do my personal taxes for the last few years only because TurboTax has given me the confidence to do so. The price is very good especially compared to professional tax preparers.

betsy fowler
May 15th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love turbo tax! I have always done my taxes myself, and assumed that because I don't own property I was fine. However, I have used Turbo Tax the past two years and found that their suggestions for tax write-offs and deductions are extremely helpful, to the tune of saving me several hundred dollars. I got married last year, and we chose to use Turbo Tax to do our joint return and it made it really easy to navigate together with my husband. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who typically does their taxes on their own.

Jeremy
May 14th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

A wonderful service that’s well worth it. Honestly just streamlines taxes and makes your life better.

L. Fowler
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I used TurboTax when I was single and filing a return on a one income household. They were great to work with and my return was quickly processed.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Turbo Tax has made our tax filing experience a good one year after year. I love the fact that I can do my own taxes and rest easy knowing that they are being done properly. The software is easy to use and the cost to purchase the software is nothing compared to other professional tax filing options.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I have used TurboTax for the last 12 years and have never once thought of changing. TurboTax makes it easy for anyone, and I mean anyone, to do their taxes the right way and not have to worry about errors. They are very affordable and if you have questions their customer service tax professionals will help with anything you need. I will never stop using TurboTax.

Ashley
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Turbo Tax is sold at your local Costco and is worth every penny. The struggle to do taxes is now no struggle at all. Turbo asks all the right questions to get you on your way to a speedy and fast return.

Reese
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Turbo tax for the past 5 or so years. They are easy to get started with, they ask all the questions that get me the biggest tax refund possible and I can start and stop as many times as I need to to get done. I also like how safe and secure they are.

Rob Whipple
May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Very easy to use. Stores our info year to year so it makes it easy in subsequent years. Good instruction and thorough preparation.

Randy Case
May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I've used Turbo Tax Home & Office to prepare my taxes for the last 5 years, and am totally happy with the product. There are many useful features, including being able to switch back and forth between the forms mode and the preparation mode, and Home & Office version handles your LLC preparation, even employee benefits.

Boston Whipple
May 6th, 2019 Provo, UT

They said it would be free and then they tried to charge us money. We had to go through a specific link on a government website and create a new account in order for it to be free. It was easy to use.

Barney
May 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

Great experience. Easy to use, very useful information that can save you money.

Shawn Lisi
May 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

It's nice when it's free. I had one thing where I did debt consolidation for some reason they tax you on money saved from this I had to use 1 special form and it cost me

Mark
April 23rd, 2019 DETAILS

The software is flawed: (1) Duplicate forms were produced and could not be deleted; (2) Online help was useless.

cheryl rudd
April 23rd, 2019 DETAILS

The software is easy to use, for the last 15 yrs, however, this year I could upload the updates on my new computer and found a workaround on you tube. I am sure to is aware of the issue, would have been nice to found the resolution on their site.

Jenn D
April 23rd, 2019 DETAILS

mostly like it --sometimes it is hard to correct weird errors. For example I couldn't delete an incorrect entry on Sched D this year. Overall it's very intuitive and thoroough.

Shandra Shears
April 18th, 2019 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS

Ive used them every year i file and generally do well but this year they charged 144$ for my taxes with no extras being bought, I'am now only getting 52$ for a return. What a joke nothing is free don't fall for it

Ray Talley
April 18th, 2019 Savannah, GA DETAILS

Terrible experience. They tried to sneak in $144 dollars of fees to there "free" filing. One of the fees was $40.00 for direct deposit and they wouldn't allow the refund to be a paper check instead of paying them. If you have a healthcare marketplace plan, you can't use the "free" filing. Then the package they want you to buy didn't include the state. Another 44.00 I went back to H&R Block.

Phoenix
April 18th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

Just did my taxes and was forced to buy a premium account when I was trying to avoid it. No confirmation of the amount I was paying - the website forced me to pay double what I would have for something I'm not even going to use. I hate this company.

C
April 17th, 2019 Mitchell, SD DETAILS

My return makes no sense. I got more last year when I didn't make as much. I hate TurboTax and I hate how they claim to be free when it's NOT, it's a joke and I'll never use it again. You guys SUCK

Abby
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I just got finished filing my taxes through TurboTax. Their services are so useful! Especially coming from a newly married couple with multiple jobs, some of which give us only a 1099, we would not have been able to figure out taxes without TurboTax.

Ruth
April 11th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

My free taxes turned into a $104 bill. Why you ask? Because i was on unemployment last year. That's right, because i was on unemployment, i only made $26,000, and it cost me more to do my taxes. I have used turbo tax my whole life. I will be using taxslyer from now on. Free unless you dont have any money. Pish, $104 for a $400 return.

March 12th, 2019 Coeur d'Alene, ID DETAILS

Don’t use the customer service sucks especially for their Pre paid card. I didn’t get my card in the mail when I was supposed to and when I called they said they would expedite it and then I called the day I was supposed to get it and got told that they sent it standard mail. And that there was nothing they could do and when I asked to speak to a supervisor I got told they would have to call me back even though I told them I couldn’t wait for that because I had to be at work I have had to call customer service 6 times now and all they did was say sorry.

Job Toll
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Good. A little clunky interface. A little expensive

Don
February 20th, 2019 Wilson, OK DETAILS

good experience; the format is very intuitive and easy to use.. They find more deductions than I find on my own.

Margaret
February 20th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

I like the ease of the software. I have been using it for 15+ years. This year there was a huge glitch, with Windows Defender not allowing Turbo Tax to save any files. I have to disable virus protection to save my work. It took four tries before I even found someone at Turbo Tax to help.I received a new download, it did not help. I bought a new CD; that did not work. I spent way too much time trying to speak to a human being at Turbo Tax. I am angry and frustrated.

Whimsy067
February 14th, 2019 Cordova, TN DETAILS

I've been using TurboTax for many years & have never had difficulty completing or filing my taxes. I like that the program guides you through the possible deductions (though I always end up using the standard) and recommends any deductions you may be qualified for so you can at least look into it. I love that I can exit the program and it saves my work so I don't have to start over. I have 2 complaints: Recently married but with no dependents, we were trying to decide if we should file jointly or separately. TurboTax recommended jointly & said they could help us determine which option would be most beneficial. "Help" is a stretch as we had to complete our returns separately to determine the amount of our individual refunds AND THEN start all over and complete the return jointly (that's 3 completions of the process) to determine that our joint return would net us an extra $30 (plus the $40 we save by filing one return). I just think TurboTax should have a quick way of making the comparison if the customer indicates that they don't have dependents. Also, if you want to pay the fee FROM your refund, there is an additional fee of $39.95. So, for the simple tax return, that is a $39.95 fee for the return AND a $39.95 fee for the convenience of having the first fee deducted from your refund. I was able to back my way out of that & charge it with my debit card but still...how many people don't notice it?

LindseyL
February 14th, 2019 Cary, NC

I am single, do not own a home, do not itemize, etc. - very basic filing. I used TurboTax from 2015-2017 with limited issues that were solved before filing. This year, however, I had a 1099-G and as soon as I added the form, I was forced to select the Deluxe version for $39.99. Because I moved out of state in the middle of the year, I had to pay that three times - once for Federal, then for each state - amounting to $120. I stopped right there and tried H&R Block which allowed me to file 100% free and had the identical returns that TurboTax found. The best thing about TurboTax is how user friendly it is. They ask lots of questions to make sure you're really getting the highest refund. You can't miss anything because of how easy and straight-forward it is. However, they do seem to be charging for more and more features, as I was unable to retrieve my previous returns without paying.

MIKE
February 14th, 2019 Santa Fe, NM DETAILS

Used them for nearly 10 years. It would be nice to see returning customer benefits and offers similar to what a new Turbo Tax customer would get.

Maria
February 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Easy, easy, easy. Dependable. I like that the information from the previous year populates into the current tax year.

Holly
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I absolutely love TurboTax. So easy to use so user-friendly. I have been using it over 12 years

Nancy Brown
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Every year I buy the cd and then remember I don't have a cd drive. Customer service is always quick and efficient at downloading the program to my personal device. The program itself is extremely user-friendly, clear in explanation, and helps me in obtaining a good return. I am a five-year repeat customer.