TurboTax Logo

9.2

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2021

TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

H&R Block Logo
#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.5
E-File Logo
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

The "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have had nothing but good experiences with Turbo Tax. I have been using the company to do my taxes for many years and it only get's easier each year. The software has memorized certain things in my account to the point that when I file my taxes at the end of the year, I only have to click a few buttons and I'm done. I like how the software now has visual infographics to inform you on the progress of your return and how much of a refund to expect. Also enjoy the little question mark info buttons that pop up detailed information on what certain things mean or do. I highly recommend using Turbo Tax for your taxes, even if you own a business or have a complicated return. Turbo Tax makes it so easy!

John Anthony Delgado The Bronx, NY

I started using Turbo Tax to do my personal taxes. I personally dont love going to see a tax accountant, as my financial situation is pretty simple (one income, not a ton of assets). I find the software pretty easy to use and walks me through the questions to ensure my taxes are done right.

JJ Jenkins Phoenix, AZ

Every year for our 36 years of marriage my husband has used Turbo Tax and his computer to do Our taxes. He saves us money from having to pay a commercial tax preparation service. He always tells me that it is quick , easy, and stress free. I feel grateful for turbo tax and how it helps my husband prepare our tax documents by himself every year saving us both time and money.

Belle Pierdon Willoughby, OH

I've used Turbo Tax for a couple of years in the past; liked the step by step ease of use but I have found a much better service that suits me better.

1 day ago

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

A fair price and makes the process a breeze. The first time you use it is an ok experience but each following year as they can pull the previous years information it becomes a breeze. Makes the headache of tax season a 15 minute ordeal.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

My goodness, TurboTax has saved my life in many instances. Whether you are a "real adult" (unlike me) and you have several investments, multiple mortgages and properties and kids, or you are like me and barely understand anything financial, TurboTax is a brilliant go-to. First off, it is simple and breaks everything down into simple language. It is very transparent and explains what exactly you are claiming and what ever little bubble or box you check is. Secondly, their customer service is fast and responsive. I have yet to get through my taxes without having questions, because I have constantly moved for work. I have never been anywhere longer than 3.5ish years, so there are always complications with state and federal tax paperwork. Third, it is fast. I think my husband and I were able to file in less than two hours each time, and that was with us double-checking our paperwork and asking questions. The cons: - If you fill out a form and it turns out that it's the wrong one, it makes you start the whole section over again. (This probably won't happen if you aren't as ignorant as I am.)

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

TurboTax is the simplest way to file your taxes for most everyday people working a 9-5 with standard benefits and living situations; you'll see relevant credits and benefits based on what you enter based on your location, background, and income. Where it gets difficult, though, is if you have multiple income sources, different tax situations like charity donations or deductions, and have recently just gotten married or other life events; TurboTax does its best, but an accountant may be needed for the more specific situations.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Doing taxes for the first time is extremely intimidating, but TurboTax made my experience super easy and stress free! It was easy to follow along with and put in a lot of the information automatically. Definitely recommend for anyone looking to simplify taxes!

Jenetta E Provo, UT

Big fan of Turbo Tax. They helped me file my taxes all by myself for the very first time and easily helped me to get a great tax refund (which is the part I was most stoked about). They also did well explaining what different things in the process meant.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I really enjoy that Turbo Tax saves my information from one year to the next, that way each time I log in to do my taxes it only takes me a short time to review my current year taxes. I wish it was a little cheaper to do it, but I am still happy with the platform.

Sean Clayton City of Saint Peters, MO

I've been using TurboTax since I started filing. It is pretty simple and easy to use. I also like the options they have in which you can have a live CPA help you. Being in the military, it was furthermore nice to get a free upgrade.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Turbo Tax employees took all of my stress away during tax season and matched the service price of one of their competitors

Keiana Knowles Tallahassee, FL

I did my taxes for the first time this year and turbo tax was very helpful and made the process very easy

Kori Travis Tallahassee, FL

I really like how efficient TurboTax is as well as how easy it is to use the site and the materials they offer.

Morgan Idaho Falls, ID

They make it simple to file and have helped us great refunds in the past. You just easily upload your documents and it helps fill all the information in.

Dave Spokane, WA

I am a tax professional and I use Turbo Tax's free e-filing program to do simpler returns for family members. It is very thorough and would be easy to follow even for a nonprofessional. The free version is limited, of course, but for a simple tax return it does the job.

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I have used Turbo Tax a couple times, and it has been great for a beginner like me. It is straight forward and they do a good job at explaining what you need and why. The is a little higher than some other competing companies. But maybe that's the price to pay for the quality of what you get

BingBong Davenport, FL

Does my taxes, but predatory on getting you to pay for their services.

Larry R Thrash Valparaiso, FL

I've been using TurboTax for years. They are always up to date with their program. The customer service reps are very knowledgeable, professional and friendly. The program works very well and i very accurate.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

TurboTax is a super great program to use for taxes. There are instructions along the way of what needs to go where which makes everything super straight forward. However, if there is anything out of the 'norm' that you did in the tax year, it is hard ti figure out how to report it like capital gains from stocks or selling a house.

Clark Beus Richland, WA

Overall I did well doing my taxes with TurboTax. I liked the plain speech used to provide directions. Maybe I missed something, but I was disappointed that I couldn’t see and review the actual forms before filing. And in my mind the price is a bit steep compared with the competition.

Shelbi Griggs Houston, TX

Easy and amazing service. Not expensive either

Molly Smith Herriman, UT

Very helpful. This website made filing my taxes way easier and less irritating.

Zach Newman American Fork, UT

TurboTax does a good job of serving it's patients who have no idea where to start with their taxes. If you're an American with a W2 and a home and that's it, then I think it's a great place to take care of your taxes. If you have more complex circumstances and investments then it's best to work with a tax accountant.

Jordon Patton Pflugerville, TX

TurboTax is super user friendly and makes the process of filing my taxes really easy. Though they promise that they are maximizing my return, I question it a little since there are different tiers of services, so I have a hard time knowing if I would have had a better return if I paid a little more, which makes me tempted to use an accountant once my finances become a little more complex.

Emily H West Wendover, NV

TurboTax was a very helpful tool for a novice tax filer like me. The process was simple, straightforward, and had guided steps. I finished my taxes faster than I thought possible--only took a little over an hour. The online staff was helpful in clarifying my questions. Best of all, the service was free for a limited time. Very happy with my experience.

austin pliler Layton, UT

I’ve used turbo tax for about 5 years and it has been amazing. My tax situation is pretty simple. I just have a few w-2s every year. So I don’t know about more complicated tax circumstances, but for me and my family it’s a breeze. It only takes about 25 minutes every year and my taxes are done!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

TurboTax is absolutely the best tool online for tax preparation. This tool takes complex tax issues and simplifies it enough for anyone to handle filing taxes. It is fully tax comprehensive, all the laws and regs are complied with. And if you can follow simple instructions, you can file taxes successfully and easily with Turbotax. No situation is too complex as it handles all tax issues with ease.

Whimsy067 Cordova, TN

I've been using TurboTax for many years & have never had difficulty completing or filing my taxes. I like that the program guides you through the possible deductions (though I always end up using the standard) and recommends any deductions you may be qualified for so you can at least look into it. I love that I can exit the program and it saves my work so I don't have to start over. I have 2 complaints: Recently married but with no dependents, we were trying to decide if we should file jointly or separately. TurboTax recommended jointly & said they could help us determine which option would be most beneficial. "Help" is a stretch as we had to complete our returns separately to determine the amount of our individual refunds AND THEN start all over and complete the return jointly (that's 3 completions of the process) to determine that our joint return would net us an extra $30 (plus the $40 we save by filing one return). I just think TurboTax should have a quick way of making the comparison if the customer indicates that they don't have dependents. Also, if you want to pay the fee FROM your refund, there is an additional fee of $39.95. So, for the simple tax return, that is a $39.95 fee for the return AND a $39.95 fee for the convenience of having the first fee deducted from your refund. I was able to back my way out of that & charge it with my debit card but still...how many people don't notice it?

Bekah W

Alexander was incredibly helpful yesterday when I needed assistance finishing my taxes. He stayed on the phone to make sure my issue was completely resolved. The software itself has been very easy to use. The web help has always gotten me through in the past but phone assistance was needed in this case. I really appreciate everything Alexander was able to do for me and will continue to use TurboTax for all my tax needs. Thank you again!

Kent Logan, UT

TurboTax works so well for me from year to year. It imports all my information from previous years and asks me all the right questions to figure out my tax situation for the current year. There are also online helps for very unique situations, and the ability to upgrade immediately to a higher service level if your tax situation requires it. There is an account login required for product purchases and paying a modest fee for direct depositing, which is not ideal since it is something I use only once a year. It would be better if that could be done without having to set up an account.

Stefanie Ewer Providence, UT

We file our taxes with turbo tax. Turbo Tax walks you through step by step. At the end of each section they check to see if you missed anything that might help you. Makes suggestions and reviews all possible tax areas. We had to do some self employed taxes and turbo tax was great at walking us through each step as we weren’t sure where to start. Easy to use.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I like using TurboTax to help me file my taxes because they make it much easier. I don't like how they send excessive emails to my email.

Cheyenne Stewart Knoxville, TN

TurboTax is super easy to use, very fast. TurboTax helps you with all your tax needs & allows you to print all your documents needed

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

This was my first website I used for for filing taxes and it made the process so much easier. I would recommend for people who likes the online service.

Steve Salem, VA

TurboTax has very good technical support when a problem is incurred

Aaliya Ghadafii Tallahassee, FL

Filing my taxes last year with Turbo Tax made the process go super smoothly. It was free, I was able to upload my documents through the site and they had clear instructions to help me along the way.

Naya Tallahassee, FL

I like Turbotax because it makes the process of doing taxes easier and less stressful. Instead of having someone else do your taxes, you can do it yourself meanining no middleman! Although If you prefer to have an expert look at and review or complete your taxes for you, there is also that option!

Morgan Huff Phoenix, AZ

Every year TurboTax helps me file my taxes quickly and efficiently. It saves my previous years returns and automatically gathers my W2 from my employer to make the current years filing seem less.

Kandi Morrill Aurora, CO

Super easy to use, Process walks you through step by step, and then double checks it all for you in the end. We use it almost every year, and have working kids who now use it also.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

The first time I used TurboTax I was shocked how easy it was. I expected it to be complicated with words I did not recognize, but everything was so easily completed and accessible. It basically did it for me!

Paige Ellis Slade Gilbert, AZ

I always feel silly saying this but whenever I use TurboTax I legitimately have fun. What type of a tax process could ever be considered fun? No offense, taxes. But TurboTax defies gravity on this one.

Rylan Bateman Los Angeles, CA

I have used TurboTax to assist me in filing my taxes for multiple years and I can say that it has allowed me to file my taxes with confidence and know that I am not going to make a mistake!

Hannah McGuire Los Angeles, CA

Turbo tax is really nice if your taxes are simple. I appreciate the free option and have used it. Unfortunately, if you have any 1099 forms, they charge you a fee and the fees can add up quick. If you are doing your own taxes and have forms other than w-2’s, then I recommend keep looking around, because there are other services that are cheaper out there- and just as good.

Blake Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

Ever since I was old enough to start paying taxes it has been a short, simple and quick process. This is all thanks to turbo tax. They help me get the maximum refund and make it clear and easy to follow!

Cal Hunter Riverton, UT

Big fan of TurboTax. Used other services, but this one I keep coming back to because of ease of use and they seem to root out all the tax savings options to take advantage of. Great service!

Landon Pliler Orem, UT

They made taxes so simple and easy. I couldn’t imagine going through all of that information myself. I wouldn’t know where to beginning. They took all the stress out of doing taxes.

Dave Simpson West Valley City, UT

I've been using TurboTax for years. It's always been so simple to get my taxes done. Easy to install, migrate information from one year to the next and electronically file. Would highly recommend it.

Oliver Sherren Provo, UT

This was my first time submitting taxes and honestly, TurboTax did such a good job of helping me through the process. Whenever I had questions, there was always someone there to help me! Highly recommend them!

Mike Curtis Guyton, GA

I used TaxAct for six years. It is a good product but priced itself out of my market. I originally used TurboTax but the same thing happened there. Now I’m back to TurboTax because it is now less expensive! I’ve used TaxAct, TaxCut, and H&R Block software. All have similar features but TurboTax gives me more for my $.