TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.2
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

he "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Rocio Diaz

March 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For beginners, TurboTax is an easy way to file your taxes without having to worry about paying for an expensive accountant. Turbotax is easy and have a great customer service.

Karina Aguilar

March 18th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use turbotax all the time when I do my taxes and they make the process super simple and get me the most money I can get

Kogan Powell

March 18th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Really streamlined and simple method of doing your taxes especially as a novice like me. However, their phrasing at the payment step can be a little tricky, I ended up paying for a premium service (which I didn't need at all) without knowing.

Karen Torino

March 16th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TurboTax was the best to use for my first time filing taxes. I started off with their free program and I loved it so much I upgraded to the $30 one to benefit as much as possible. Super fast and easy!

Myken

March 12th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used TurboTax for the past 8 years. It’s a great program and so user friendly. I love that it saves my information from year to year so I’m not having to re-enter information annually. I feel confident that I’m doing my taxes right and saving money.

Josh Harold

March 10th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently had to do taxes for the first time and I was completely lose. Thanks to turbo tax I did it and got my tax return.

Kathy Faustin

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

I used Turbotax for the first time I filed my taxes. The step by step instructions made filing extremely easy. Will definitely use it again.

FIXITART

March 9th, 2020 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Turbo tax every year since 2010. It quick an easy. This year I had my taxes done in February and one week later I had both Federal and State returns in my account with in 10 days. They may not be free but It is worth the small amount to have the back up of the turbo tax. I never buy the expensive package, just the entry level so it was fairly cheap.

Daisy Ramos

March 6th, 2020 , FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have done my taxes myself for the past 4 years now. Turbotax makes it super easy, and it is very helpful.

Jessica

March 5th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TurboTax is user friendly and simple to use. We have used it to our taxes for years now and never have any issues.

hmarashi

March 5th, 2020 Newark, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family has been using TurboTax for years to file our taxes, it is quick, easy, and efficient.

Bryan Jensen

March 5th, 2020 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

easiest tax platform. stopped paying someone to do my stuff folr me. Now I do it myself

Dwhoush

March 4th, 2020 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TurboTax was very easy for me to use and was able to get my my deductions. I didn’t like the fact i had to pay for this feature and that feature that might get me more money. I’ll be using a different company from now on.

DeeDee G.

March 4th, 2020 Laplace, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very easy site to use. All you have to do is follow instructions and it's as easy as that.

russbayles

March 3rd, 2020 Boise, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used turbo tax since I was old enough to have to do taxes on my own. It’s easy to use and they walk through all your tax options. Worth what you pay and ease of use.

JamieD

March 2nd, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbo tax was very quick and simple to use when our financial lives were simple. Very cost effective and it didn’t take very long

Mike Ika

February 28th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We’ve used TurboTax for years and have always been fairly satisfied with it. The only reason we stopped using TurboTax was because we’ve been able to itemize our deductions. Yes TurboTax is pretty user friendly, but once we started itemizing we didn’t wanna miss out on any possible money that we could potentially be getting back. Now that the deductions and itemization rules have changed, we are going back to TurboTax because we will just be filing the standard form. It’s fast, easy, convenient, and pretty accurate if youre doing just the standard deductions.

take7

February 27th, 2020 Sandy, UT

Started out filing my own taxes with turbo tax and loved it. Then found taxact and I don't know what it is but they always find us a bit more money back too. Turbo tax wording can sometimes be hard to understand and apply to the forms and docs I need. It's also been more expensive for the software too.

Bill Nelson

February 26th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve used this service many times. Easy to use and very intuitive. Very good product if you do not have complicated returns to prepare.

AGenes

February 26th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbo tax is the only tax prep I’ve ever used. They make it super easy for me to do my taxes on my own.

Tedi

February 25th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Use it every year. Easy for sim0le, but also makes more complex doable on your own

Rebecca

February 25th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I highly recommend TurboTax. It’s easy to use and it helped me get my maximum tax refund for a low cost.

David T

February 25th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbo tax is super easy to use. If you have a complicated return, it might make sense to hire a professional, but for most people, save the money and use their software.

Brenda Horne

February 25th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've used TurboTax exclusively for the past 10 years or so. It is the best for us because it keeps track of our rentals and itemized deductions.

Shauna Horne

February 25th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used TurboTax for several years to prepare our tax returns. It contains a help menu where you can get additional details on different items, which is really helpful.

Stephanie Love

February 25th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used TurboTax for 10 plus years. I absolutely love it and it gets better and easier to use every year. It makes doing your taxes such a breeze. It’s so user friendly. I did my taxes this year in less than an hour. And I got my refund in about a week. I have no intentions of doing my taxes any other way. It’s a must for me.

mccandless24

February 25th, 2020 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was happy with the ease at which turbo tax helped me with my taxes. I do hope that I was able to get most exemptions that I could but I honestly don’t know if I did. If you know that you are not looking for any extra exemptions then I would definitely recommend.

Michelle Rios

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Every year my husband is able to get our taxes completed in just a few hours with TurboTax. The software is easy to download and to use. It is great that information from previous years is brought up quickly, without us having to dig up old paperwork. We also have a small business and we are able to complete our taxes without issue. We have not been disappointed by your product!

Erin Glendening

February 25th, 2020 Slidell, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Intuit has phenomenal customer service. The process was smooth with not too many bumps in the road. I would recommend this to my family.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 21st, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TurboTax is the easiest tool for tax prep. Turbotax covers all tax issues with ease and give you peace of mind that taxes are filed correctly. They program is not expensive at all given that it goes through step by step and gets your chore of taxes done as quickly as possible. I feel that they guarantee the job too.

Stan Hollingshead

February 20th, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TurboTax is slick, easy to use, accurate and time saving. I used them for years until I realized that their prices are way out of line when compared with other similar services.

JDWain

February 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use turbotax every year for my tax prep needs and find that the interface is easier to use than other tax software. Also got a discount on the premium service for filling my taxes early this year!

Deryl

February 20th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TurboTax is a great way to file taxes. They offer great prices and they are easy to work with.

Chantell Filiaga

February 19th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have filed my taxes every year with turbo tax. They have always been easy and accurate. Gives us a notice right away after we filed. Never had a problem with using it.

Amy Christian

February 18th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

How does anyone do their taxes with anyone else!? I’ve used turbo tax for years and always get excellent online help when I have questions. The pricing is great and it is SO easy to use. Takes the stress out of taxes!

Nicholas Genes

February 18th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Before I owned my own business this was my go to for taxes. Very simple to do and the fees aren’t terrible.

Michelle Schow

February 18th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used TurboTax for a number of years. The program is very intuitive and they guide you through every step of filing taxes.

Justin McMurtrey

February 18th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbo Tax is super easy to use. Makes it really easy to get your rebate. You also get it really quick.

Jon Robinson

February 18th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use turbo tax every year. It really helps to simplify an overly complex system.

kylie bodell

February 10th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TurboTax is user friendly and so easy to complete and file our personal and business taxes. The step by step guidance makes it easy to understand and complete our taxes fast!

Jami Lucas

February 10th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been using this for years. We have always been pleased with how easy it is to use.

Amanda

February 10th, 2020 Montebello, CA

I didn’t have a great experience with Turbo Tax because some of my employees used this service to deliver W2 forms but made up pay $20 to access our forms.

Angelina Hamilton

February 10th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very easy to use. Walks you through step by step with details. If you have a question there is help available. They have a chat feature that customer service cane help if you have a question. I have used this for years and I’m fact just filed my taxes with it.

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TurboTax is absolutely the best tool online for tax preparation. This tool takes complex tax issues and simplifies it enough for anyone to handle filing taxes. It is fully tax comprehensive, all the laws and regs are complied with. And if you can follow simple instructions, you can file taxes successfully and easily with Turbotax. No situation is too complex as it handles all tax issues with ease.

Beverly Schacher

February 4th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband has been doing our taxes using TurboTax for the past 3 years. He has been very satisfied with the ease of use and quality of product. Our taxes are fairly simple since we don't have alot of deductions but having the ability to do it accurately without paying a tax preparer is a great way to save some money.

Darbles32

February 3rd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My taxes a fairly simple and so I love that turbo tax has a free option that I can fill out on my own

Nancy Paugh

February 3rd, 2020 Long Beach, MS

I have use this site for several years with no expense to me. Just answer the questions, line by line. Very easy to use and always more than I expect.

Bryndie

January 30th, 2020 Managua, MN

I loved working with TurboTax. They make the tax process much less stressful and walk you through everything you need to do. Easy to use and overall very helpful.

Clayton Parry

January 27th, 2020 Mesquite, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

No one makes it easier than TurboTax. If you only have W-2's then I would absolutely recommend the ease of TurboTax

Zac Cannon

January 17th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My taxes are run through TurboTax each year. My mom is my personal accountant and we have never had issues with them. They have always been accurate and dependable.