TurboTax Logo

7.5

LAST UPDATED: September 19th, 2022

TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

H&R Block Logo
#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

The "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Who Knows Baltimore, MD

I love TurboTax. Their services are very affordable, and help you get the best experience out of doing your taxes. I will always encourage my family and friends to file through TurboTax. Customer service is the absolute best!

Jewelleah Kempers Los Angeles, CA

I have used Turbo Tax as a do it yourself software program for 4 years and was relatively satisfied with the results. Their refund estimator was very helpful as I went along and I could see the changes in my refund for each entry I made into the return questionnaire. This helped me to utilize a combination of deductions and credits to maximize each year's return. Plus they offer audit insurance protection which gave me peace of mind. Their price was typical of any do it yourself tax program, ranging from totally free to over a hundred dollars, with various extras offered and they provided instant e-filing for each of the return types offered, so I felt good about knowing my return reached the IRS safe and sound! Plus getting my refund was quick and there were several options of how I could choose to receive my money.

Samantha Rivera Colorado Springs, CO

After finding out about turbo tax I started doing taxes on my own. instead of paying over 500$ You can pay as little as 60$ thats a huge difference. I definitely will show others how easy it is to do their taxes

Matt Harvey Chicago, IL

Paid my dues for the year, did my taxes, sent them in. But I got flaged and needed to review. IRS rejected my return. I fixed it and kept sending it in but it kept coming back. Turbo tax was no help at all. They had already billed my credit card for thier services and wouldn't help me fi d the problem as to why my return kept getting rejected. I finally went to HR Block. They not only fixed the problem but got me another 50 dollop my return. I won't use turbo any more. They never refunded my $375 either.

April Simpson Charlotte, NC

I have used TT for over 5 years and it is by far the most user friendly and although their $0 tax prep ended with the 2020 tax season I still used them.

Morgan Green Seattle, WA

I have used TurboTax for years to do my taxes. I love TurboTax the questions if any are always answered and the easy to use filing system and guidance that the TurboTax online uses is awesome.

scotty Saint Paul, MN

I am using TurboTax for several years now, to Do my taxes as well as help some others with their taxes and from my experience it's pretty bulletproof. Well if you let them they will import all your information from last year and the new year, Take all that information off your new W-2 and import it for you into your tax forms and everything. You really just going through and double-checking and verifying all information is correct. It will even walk you through some tax breaks that you might never have known about if you done them on your own paper style. They also offer assistance from tax specialists so if you ever feel like you miss something or you doing something wrong you can click the button and they can check in and help. It's a great service

Robert Mott

I've been using TurboTax for 20 years. I tried another service and quit halfway through and finished with Turbo Tax. I'll be using it til the end of my days. Their website guides you through the whole process and you can access help from customer service really quick and easy.

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

I was introduced to Turbo Tax service several years ago. I had used a private tax preparer for a few years before until the unthinkable happened and I was audited by the IRS. Without realizing that I had absolutely minimal information about my tax preparer, I was at risk of some hefty penalties for what I had discovered were "inaccuracies" in my tax preparation. After having my taxes prepared by Turbo Tax services, I no longer had to experience the anxiety of tax preparation and the worries that some "inaccuracies" would be problematic. Now, I experience the benefit of TurboTax professionalism, transparency, and knowledgeable tax preparers.

Dana Hatfield Bullhead City, AZ

I just finished doing my taxes with TurboTax for the second year, and am for the most part very happy with the service I've received. The process is fairly easy to follow especially since I had to deal with specific situations where I had no experience or knowledge of what to do. They are thorough in their gathering of information, which gives me confidence in my returns. i was a little shocked at the increase in fees from last year to this year, but still feel I got a good deal. Will use their service again for sure.

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I used turbo tax for many years before getting married and loved it. The online platform is very easy to navigate and can even walk you easily through every section and step in filing out tax paperwork without undue stress. Turbo tax also offers their audit guarantee which guarantees that you won't be audited or they will assist in the auditing process if you do free of charge. They offer different levels of services but the basic service is usually more than enough to get you through tax season. I also enjoy being able to log in any time in the year and be able to access my previous year's tax documents.

Alicia Mesa, AZ

I have used the free online version of Turbo Tax for a few years to do my taxes and overall, the experience has been a good one. I love that it's online and super simple to just fill in the boxes. Especially after using it for a few consecutive years, a lot of the information carries over and I simply have to update it, which makes it very convenient and less of a chore. My only frustration with it is that the FAQs don't always answer my questions about how the program works, making it difficult for me to complete my taxes, but not because of the taxes themselves. I would love to see more opportunity for a customer service option where I can reach out and ask questions without having to upgrade the service I'm using. Overall, however, I really enjoy using this program and plan on using it now and in the future!

Queen Shavy Miami Beach, FL

first time that I did my taxes myself and I thought I will be overwhelmed. The website is so simple and user friendly as soon as I logged I saw how simple it actually is! I had a question for customer service and the response was immediate friendly and helpful.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Have used TurboTax many times to do my taxes over the years. It is really easy to use and I like that it asks questions specific to me to help get me the most refund possible. I don't like the constant, almost daily emails to remind me to log in and finish my returns. I know when I want them done and I know when I get documents. I don't need daily reminders to do my taxes. :)

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have had nothing but good experiences with Turbo Tax. I have been using the company to do my taxes for many years and it only get's easier each year. The software has memorized certain things in my account to the point that when I file my taxes at the end of the year, I only have to click a few buttons and I'm done. I like how the software now has visual infographics to inform you on the progress of your return and how much of a refund to expect. Also enjoy the little question mark info buttons that pop up detailed information on what certain things mean or do. I highly recommend using Turbo Tax for your taxes, even if you own a business or have a complicated return. Turbo Tax makes it so easy!

Patti Crawford Appleton, WI

I have used TurboTax for over 5 years. The simplicity and ease of use has been so helpful in a confusing and stressful topic.

Yooper Colorado Colorado Springs, CO

We have used TurboTax for years and initially had no issues with the software, we even bought one of the versions that gave you access to their legal tax auditors for questions about tax issues. The ease of use has seriously degraded over the years until finally this year we switched over to H&R Block software (this is because TurboTax this year required you to file by February 15th). Two years ago we bought the version that gave you access to their tax experts who actually knew nothing about the several questions we called and asked them. It ended up being a more expensive experience since we had to call an actual tax expert after talking to TurboTax's experts. Waste of money!

Wendy Shaw New Haven, CT

I've used Turbo tax since since 2012 and it just gets easier to use every year. Step by step guidance. Easy to use tools. Great tax experts ready to help ANY time you need. Perfect for first time users.

shirell West Haven, CT

5 stars across the board , They help you with their assistant or u can do it yourself , but tey walk thru it and review everything before u even summit your taxes, Ive been using them for years

Jim Bullhead City, AZ

I did my taxes with them last year and this year. They have it that if they are simple you can do it free. You still have experts that guide you and get the most for you. They are great!

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

My absolutely favorite! It's soooooo user friendly and easy to process your taxes. It's also very thorough, goes through every step of the tax preparation process, offers tons of bundle options depending on what you'd need, and offers the option to pay immediately or to be deducted from your return. Love this site! I tell everyone about it.

Sathvik Aithala Portland, OR

Good for simple filings and those with a few complications. Very easy to use and intuitive.

Rachel Sharp

I use this as a small business owner and as an individual, it's so easy and helpful! Anytime I have questions, I can call a CPA and they've been so nice and helpful each time. They never make me feel like I'm bothering them or make me feel like my questions are silly! Love it!

Korene Robinson Herriman, UT

I have found that the program is very useful, I've gotten a lot of deductions using the product, but it is a very long, tedious process to use, and it usually only produces the results I expect. Sometimes I have to do a very long process for each deduction, I would like if there were shorter summaries of each deduction, and then if I choose to attempt that deduction I would get more detail.

Guy Midvale, UT

I like using Turbo Tax. We buy Turbo Tax from Costco and can do our taxes ourselves. The instructions are easy to follow and help you through the process. Our taxes are pretty simple as we do not own a business or have complicated deductions. However I believe Turbo Tax could do these too. I would recommend Turbo Tax

Natalie Rousey Riverton, UT

Turbo Tax has been a life saver. I love how Turbo Tax has consolidated all the existing and new tax laws into one easy to use program. I have been using it for 10 years and have had no problems with calculating my taxes and submitting them. I am grateful for this product and would recommend it to anyone.

Valerie Peterson Herriman, UT

I started using Turbo Tax 2 years ago after our accountant raised his prices. I decided to give Turbo Tax a try to see if I could save myself $500. I was pleased with how easy it was to download the software and input my information. I was able to complete my return in less than 2 hours and felt confident that all the information was correct. I was so grateful to find a way to avoid paying hefty accountant fees when I could manage myself!

Shopman Herriman, UT

I have used TurboTax for over twenty years. I have come to trust and rely on TurboTax for quality. I know that my taxes will be done correctly if I follow the program's simple steps. I also like the TurboTax help community. It is a place I can go to find answers to my tax questions.

JJ Jenkins Phoenix, AZ

We are super satisfied with turbo tax . It is a simple kit of software to use with tori own home computer and pro term it gives you step by step easy to follow instructions to complete and file your own income tax. We have used it for over 30 years. It is very reasonably priced at between $30-$50. The program is updated every year and can be purchased online or on a store.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

My goodness, TurboTax has saved my life in many instances. Whether you are a "real adult" (unlike me) and you have several investments, multiple mortgages and properties and kids, or you are like me and barely understand anything financial, TurboTax is a brilliant go-to. First off, it is simple and breaks everything down into simple language. It is very transparent and explains what exactly you are claiming and what ever little bubble or box you check is. Secondly, their customer service is fast and responsive. I have yet to get through my taxes without having questions, because I have constantly moved for work. I have never been anywhere longer than 3.5ish years, so there are always complications with state and federal tax paperwork. Third, it is fast. I think my husband and I were able to file in less than two hours each time, and that was with us double-checking our paperwork and asking questions. The cons: - If you fill out a form and it turns out that it's the wrong one, it makes you start the whole section over again. (This probably won't happen if you aren't as ignorant as I am.)

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

TurboTax is absolutely the best tool online for tax preparation. This tool takes complex tax issues and simplifies it enough for anyone to handle filing taxes. It is fully tax comprehensive, all the laws and regs are complied with. And if you can follow simple instructions, you can file taxes successfully and easily with Turbotax. No situation is too complex as it handles all tax issues with ease.

Whimsy067 Cordova, TN

I've been using TurboTax for many years & have never had difficulty completing or filing my taxes. I like that the program guides you through the possible deductions (though I always end up using the standard) and recommends any deductions you may be qualified for so you can at least look into it. I love that I can exit the program and it saves my work so I don't have to start over. I have 2 complaints: Recently married but with no dependents, we were trying to decide if we should file jointly or separately. TurboTax recommended jointly & said they could help us determine which option would be most beneficial. "Help" is a stretch as we had to complete our returns separately to determine the amount of our individual refunds AND THEN start all over and complete the return jointly (that's 3 completions of the process) to determine that our joint return would net us an extra $30 (plus the $40 we save by filing one return). I just think TurboTax should have a quick way of making the comparison if the customer indicates that they don't have dependents. Also, if you want to pay the fee FROM your refund, there is an additional fee of $39.95. So, for the simple tax return, that is a $39.95 fee for the return AND a $39.95 fee for the convenience of having the first fee deducted from your refund. I was able to back my way out of that & charge it with my debit card but still...how many people don't notice it?

Bekah W

Alexander was incredibly helpful yesterday when I needed assistance finishing my taxes. He stayed on the phone to make sure my issue was completely resolved. The software itself has been very easy to use. The web help has always gotten me through in the past but phone assistance was needed in this case. I really appreciate everything Alexander was able to do for me and will continue to use TurboTax for all my tax needs. Thank you again!

Becca Jones Bel Air, MD

TurboTax makes filing taxes a breeze. TurboTax offers free tax filing though a quick and easy process. I always thought the process of filing was daunting and I never understood what I needed. TurboTax maps everything out for you and helps you through each step from simple filing to deductions and helps track your refund. I have used this company for years to get my maximum refund quick and easy!

Mary Fernandes New York, NY

When I have used Turbo Tax in the past, I have been very pleased with how easy it is to use the software. While I might be more intimidated to use DIY tax software for more complex tax returns, I would definitely recommend Turbo Tax and would feel confident that I was being lead through all of the appropriate steps. The program is very user friendly and gives warnings when there are potential issues with the return.

Bob Trammell Los Angeles, CA

This is my third year using TurboTax after switching from another product. TurboTax has great support and is easy to use and install. I think all the products pretty much calculate your taxes correctly, but TurboTax has an easy-to-use format to get all your information into the system. It can import your W2 information from many sources and seems to handle all the situations I have encountered. It's easy to use to submit your returns online, so you get back you money FAST. Highly recommended.

RONALD WHITE Show Low, AZ

It took me 10+ years to switch to TurboTax as I had always used a CPA to do my taxes. I waited 10+ years too long. TurboTax is one of the easiest tax software to use and they are THOROUGH. They might not be the cheapest to use for taxes but they have saved me thousands of dollars in taxes. I have even had to use their accountants to assist me and without charge, mind you. That is how good and thorough they are.

Brett Schiftner Weatherford, TX

I've been using TurboTax for over 10 years and it's an excellent product. It's easy to use and always produces a correct tax form. When you make one entry it automatically fills in all the places on all the forms to make it really easy. The best part is the downloading of bank and stock transactions from your brokerage accounts. This saves a ton of time and avoids many errors. I couldn't be more pleased

Joseph Zajac Hazleton, PA

I've used TurboTax now for nearly 10 years. I give it a good rating in that it does the taxes efficiently and without having to load software onto a computer. The service also remembers you from year to year so it can quickly go through things based on your past filing information. That saves time and is very valuable. On the drawback there are some charges for certain tax prep features that are not exactly free, however they're not exorbitant and can be considered worth it. In addition it will do your state taxes for you as well which is kind of another perk. It's a good One-Stop shop that doesn't take too much time and gives you a good refund without exorbitant charges.

Kenneth Brooks Newburgh, IN

I like the way TurboTax has made the program as easy as possible. I have used the program for over 10 years and found it to be stable and accurate. The audio/video files used to help you understand better, was a nice touch. I like that you can move around the application on your own or with an intuitive guide for those requiring more assistance. I have not found anything i dislike about the application. I have used the program for many years and will continue to use it.

Deb Jackson Valrico, FL

I have been using Turbo Tax for over 20 years. I love the way it guides you through the process, and double checks for mistakes. It is more economical to use the online version Vs buying a program each year. It also offers different options of plans, and even has some free plans. Turbo tax is a great resource for everyone. Also you don't have to pay til you file, so give it a try.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

TurboTax makes filing taxes a way easier experience than going into an office or finding an accountant to file your taxes. It puts the control back in your pockets and you don't have to worry about paying any extra fees or paying someone else to complete your taxes for you. And in the future, if you need to access your tax transcript again, it's right there and easily accessible.

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

I've been doing my taxes with TurboTax for years and I always get the maximum refund. They are awesome

Robbie NJ

We have been using Turbo Tax since we started and no longer need to pay an accountant for our complicated home & business taxes.

Gia Regina Waco, TX

I use TurboTax to file my taxes each year. I love how TurboTax walks you right through it—each step. It’s so easy to understand and user friendly.

Vanessa Butler Columbia, MO

Quick and efficient. Doing taxes online is very easy and instructions easy to follow. I went into office once and the staff was friendly and knowledgeable.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

If you follow the prompts correctly their free tax filing is fantastic. Just make sure you don't get click baited into the paid version which will cost you like $100 when you do federal and state.

J. Garrett Lansing, MI

I've used TurboTax for years! It was my best friend when I was a self-employed hairstylist. The last couple of years it has kind of bothered me that they keep trying to "trick" me into paying for a more detailed program. I work part time and have no dependents. I need the simplest form allowed!

Mymy Tallahassee, FL

I used this service when I first started filing my taxes, and they are great! The online site is so user friendly and I really enjoyed the LIVE chat option whenever I had questions!

North Florida Wildliife Center Havana, FL

Have been using turbo tax to file my taxes for 4 years and love the service I have received. I am self employed as a ride share driver and their self employed package really helps to ensure I am getting the best return.