TurboTax Logo

7.6

LAST UPDATED: January 25th, 2022

TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

H&R Block Logo
#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

The "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Dana Hatfield Bullhead City, AZ

I just finished doing my taxes with TurboTax for the second year, and am for the most part very happy with the service I've received. The process is fairly easy to follow especially since I had to deal with specific situations where I had no experience or knowledge of what to do. They are thorough in their gathering of information, which gives me confidence in my returns. i was a little shocked at the increase in fees from last year to this year, but still feel I got a good deal. Will use their service again for sure.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Have used TurboTax many times to do my taxes over the years. It is really easy to use and I like that it asks questions specific to me to help get me the most refund possible. I don't like the constant, almost daily emails to remind me to log in and finish my returns. I know when I want them done and I know when I get documents. I don't need daily reminders to do my taxes. :)

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I used turbo tax for many years before getting married and loved it. The online platform is very easy to navigate and can even walk you easily through every section and step in filing out tax paperwork without undue stress. Turbo tax also offers their audit guarantee which guarantees that you won't be audited or they will assist in the auditing process if you do free of charge. They offer different levels of services but the basic service is usually more than enough to get you through tax season. I also enjoy being able to log in any time in the year and be able to access my previous year's tax documents.

Jim Bullhead City, AZ

I did my taxes with them last year and this year. They have it that if they are simple you can do it free. You still have experts that guide you and get the most for you. They are great!

Valerie Peterson Herriman, UT

I started using Turbo Tax 2 years ago after our accountant raised his prices. I decided to give Turbo Tax a try to see if I could save myself $500. I was pleased with how easy it was to download the software and input my information. I was able to complete my return in less than 2 hours and felt confident that all the information was correct. I was so grateful to find a way to avoid paying hefty accountant fees when I could manage myself!

Amy N Sandy, UT

TurboTax is fantastic if you have a very simple return. If your return is complicated with having your own business or owning rental property in another state, it might be worth it to go with a service that offers more assistance.

16 hours ago

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

I used to have a family member do taxes for me. When he stopped and i was worried about how things were going to go. Turbo tax has made things simple and painless when it comes to taxes!

Shopman Herriman, UT

I have used TurboTax for over twenty years. I have come to trust and rely on TurboTax for quality. I know that my taxes will be done correctly if I follow the program's simple steps. I also like the TurboTax help community. It is a place I can go to find answers to my tax questions.

Becca Jones Bel Air, MD

TurboTax makes filing taxes a breeze. TurboTax offers free tax filing though a quick and easy process. I always thought the process of filing was daunting and I never understood what I needed. TurboTax maps everything out for you and helps you through each step from simple filing to deductions and helps track your refund. I have used this company for years to get my maximum refund quick and easy!

Mary Fernandes New York, NY

When I have used Turbo Tax in the past, I have been very pleased with how easy it is to use the software. While I might be more intimidated to use DIY tax software for more complex tax returns, I would definitely recommend Turbo Tax and would feel confident that I was being lead through all of the appropriate steps. The program is very user friendly and gives warnings when there are potential issues with the return.

Bob Trammell Los Angeles, CA

This is my third year using TurboTax after switching from another product. TurboTax has great support and is easy to use and install. I think all the products pretty much calculate your taxes correctly, but TurboTax has an easy-to-use format to get all your information into the system. It can import your W2 information from many sources and seems to handle all the situations I have encountered. It's easy to use to submit your returns online, so you get back you money FAST. Highly recommended.

RONALD WHITE Show Low, AZ

It took me 10+ years to switch to TurboTax as I had always used a CPA to do my taxes. I waited 10+ years too long. TurboTax is one of the easiest tax software to use and they are THOROUGH. They might not be the cheapest to use for taxes but they have saved me thousands of dollars in taxes. I have even had to use their accountants to assist me and without charge, mind you. That is how good and thorough they are.

Brett Schiftner Weatherford, TX

I've been using TurboTax for over 10 years and it's an excellent product. It's easy to use and always produces a correct tax form. When you make one entry it automatically fills in all the places on all the forms to make it really easy. The best part is the downloading of bank and stock transactions from your brokerage accounts. This saves a ton of time and avoids many errors. I couldn't be more pleased

Joseph Zajac Hazleton, PA

I've used TurboTax now for nearly 10 years. I give it a good rating in that it does the taxes efficiently and without having to load software onto a computer. The service also remembers you from year to year so it can quickly go through things based on your past filing information. That saves time and is very valuable. On the drawback there are some charges for certain tax prep features that are not exactly free, however they're not exorbitant and can be considered worth it. In addition it will do your state taxes for you as well which is kind of another perk. It's a good One-Stop shop that doesn't take too much time and gives you a good refund without exorbitant charges.

Kenneth Brooks Newburgh, IN

I like the way TurboTax has made the program as easy as possible. I have used the program for over 10 years and found it to be stable and accurate. The audio/video files used to help you understand better, was a nice touch. I like that you can move around the application on your own or with an intuitive guide for those requiring more assistance. I have not found anything i dislike about the application. I have used the program for many years and will continue to use it.

Deb Jackson Valrico, FL

I have been using Turbo Tax for over 20 years. I love the way it guides you through the process, and double checks for mistakes. It is more economical to use the online version Vs buying a program each year. It also offers different options of plans, and even has some free plans. Turbo tax is a great resource for everyone. Also you don't have to pay til you file, so give it a try.

Kristen Roseville, CA

My husband and I have used TurboTax for 3 years now. The site is simple and we feel we always get an honest return. For our simple income, it works great.

1 day ago

J B Sandy, UT

I used TurboTax every year while I was in college. They were the least expensive option, and they could support the student loan interest and financial aid reporting.

Emily D Herriman, UT

TurboTax made filing our taxes fast and easy. We saved money by not having to use an accountant. even though we weren’t totally sure what we were doing, it walked us through it all.

Saylor D Herriman, UT

TurboTax is very affordable and easy to understand, and helped me get my taxes done on time. I don't have to stress nearly so much about my taxes, and it takes a big weight off my shoulders.

MM Largo, FL

I like TurboTax because it has a completely free version and is simple to use and finds ways to get you the biggest refund. It also saves your progress as you go so you can finish later when you come back to it. It also stores your returns year after year which is nice when you can't find the paper copies.

Daniel Cebrero Henderson, NV

Always an easy experience filing taxes with turbo tax. I’ve used the free version ever since ive been employed and now I pay for the upgraded version Because of other assets/income. Whenever I needed assistance on something, they have live help that can chat or call you and help. Always recommend this to people doing taxes

Rachelle Orlando, FL

As a millennial who was kind of just thrown into adulthood, TurboTax made me feel competent. It was quick, easy, and honest. I’ve been using them for years and they have made me good money in tax returns. The only downside is the more services you want to qualify for the more you have to pay.

Erik Lewis Atlanta, GA

I really liked TurboTax which I used for several years. My bank had a subscription so all I had to pay was for the electronic filing. Saving my data it made taxes amazingly easy no matter what I threw at it. I got more out of turbotax than an accountant

Dale Berridge Rio Rancho, NM

I love Turbo Tax. It has really taken the anxiety away from filing taxes every year. The very easy to use guide takes you through every possible deduction and liability, transfers previous years information and auto fills any necessary details to your current return. My only negative experience is it seems rather pricey, especially to add state returns, compared to similar programs or paper filing yourself but the ease of use is worth the extra cost in my opinion!

lozeerose

I've been using TurboTax since I began filing my own taxes over 25 years ago. At first, I used the desktop install and once the offering became available online, I started using that. TurboTax has and continues to be my default choice for DIY taxes. I've tried TaxAct and a couple of others, but none are as trustworthy and solid as TurboTax.

Mandy Pesce Laurelton, NJ

I've used TurboTax in the past to do my taxes, personally. It is very easy to follow with helpful instructions on each section. It is usually free to file as well, which makes it quite appealing when other software or tax preparation companies charge alot. Very quick and easy for both simple and complex taxes. It walks you right through it all.

Corryn Moore Richmond, VA

We've used Turbo Tax for almost 20 years. My favorite thing is that it automatically plugs in information from the previous year that was needed and inputs our federal straight into our state taxes. Because we have a house and I have a 1099 it really lets you just plug your numbers in and moves you right through the process of filing taxes.

emblair Herriman, UT

My go-to for completing my taxes each year. They walk you through it in the simplest way and making filing easy. Thank you!

23 hours ago

Glenn Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

easy to use and understand. Not very helpful, (hard to access forms etc.) when taxes are more complex, like stocks, dividends, overseas investments etc.

Jackie Gardner Riverton, UT

With step by step instructions, it's easy to use. We used to hire a private accountant, but Turbo Tax saves me so much money.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

I have used Turbo tax for my personal and home based business for the past 10 + years ita very user friendly and guides you every step of the way and then even double checks so easy to do your own taxes.

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

My absolutely favorite! It's soooooo user friendly and easy to process your taxes. It's also very thorough, goes through every step of the tax preparation process, offers tons of bundle options depending on what you'd need, and offers the option to pay immediately or to be deducted from your return. Love this site! I tell everyone about it.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

TurboTax makes filing taxes a way easier experience than going into an office or finding an accountant to file your taxes. It puts the control back in your pockets and you don't have to worry about paying any extra fees or paying someone else to complete your taxes for you. And in the future, if you need to access your tax transcript again, it's right there and easily accessible.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have had nothing but good experiences with Turbo Tax. I have been using the company to do my taxes for many years and it only get's easier each year. The software has memorized certain things in my account to the point that when I file my taxes at the end of the year, I only have to click a few buttons and I'm done. I like how the software now has visual infographics to inform you on the progress of your return and how much of a refund to expect. Also enjoy the little question mark info buttons that pop up detailed information on what certain things mean or do. I highly recommend using Turbo Tax for your taxes, even if you own a business or have a complicated return. Turbo Tax makes it so easy!

Victoria Phillips Fort Worth, TX

I've used turbo tax for years makes filing simple. My aunt started using turbo tax too after I showed her how easy it is!

Luke M Herriman, UT

I could do it from home, and it only took me a few minutes. It walked me through the whole process and saved me money.

Tammy Koch Ashburn, VA

TurboTax has been my go to for a dozen or so years. I used them when I owned a small business and a home with a lot of itemized deductions and I use them still without deductions. Price is reasonable.

Stephen Thompson

utilized Turbo Tax for 5 years and found it easy to understand and easy to use. User-friendliness is great! Simple to follow instructions and decision-tree of information.

Sandra Little Eugene, OR

I used TurboTax for a few years because I had relatively easy taxes to file. I like the user friendliness of the program. I found it to be a straightforward program.

Steve Colella Coraopolis, PA

I have used TurboTax for many years to prepare my taxes. I have never had issues with audits or tax problems. Some screens can be a little confusing if you’re not 100% sure.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

If you follow the prompts correctly their free tax filing is fantastic. Just make sure you don't get click baited into the paid version which will cost you like $100 when you do federal and state.

Jodee McKeon Houston, TX

For the most part this has been a really useful tool for my husband and I getting our taxes done usually for free or at least pretty cheap. Last year we had to pay a fee because we had some different form we hadn't had before, but I don't remember it being too expensive. For young college students trying to figure out how to get taxes taken care of, it has definitely met our needs and I would recommend.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

Let's face it, filing taxes is something we cannot and should not avoid doing no matter how much we might want/try to. TurboTax makes this complicated process a tiny bit easier. It provides instructions through every step and guides new users in a helpful way. However, the amount of steps depending on how much information you have to file and how complex it is, can be overwhelming. There are so many instructions TurboTax can give someone who has never filed alone and although it might seem convenient, the many errors we make on their lead to a lot of paperwork. Lastly, you need some type of background knowledge of how to file your taxes to be able to even gather the information to use on TurboTax.

Grace M. Columbia, MO

Makes filing taxes really easy to navigate and transparent. I've been able to file my own for free for years now and always know I am getting the most returned! Great site layout, making it easy to find past tax documents whenever needed.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

My experience with TurboTax has been amazing. I have used them for the past three years because they make filing your taxes super easy and have an option to complete it for free. I would recommend TurboTax to anyone looking to file their taxes easily by themselves

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Tax Prep makes it so easy to do your taxes. You do not need to hire an accountant to do your taxes anymore. Turbo tax walks you through the whole process and it is even free! It has made it so easy to teach young adults about filing their taxes. Definitely recommend!

JJ Jenkins Phoenix, AZ

We are super satisfied with turbo tax . It is a simple kit of software to use with tori own home computer and pro term it gives you step by step easy to follow instructions to complete and file your own income tax. We have used it for over 30 years. It is very reasonably priced at between $30-$50. The program is updated every year and can be purchased online or on a store.

Heather Riverton, UT

I used turbo tax to help my young adult son with his taxes and it was very simple to use.

20 hours ago

Lisa Salt Lake City, UT

Straight forward, easy to use. Have been using for years for my kids taxes as well as my more complicated taxes.