TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.2
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

he "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Clayton Parry

January 27th, 2020 Mesquite, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

No one makes it easier than TurboTax. If you only have W-2's then I would absolutely recommend the ease of TurboTax

Zac Cannon

January 17th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My taxes are run through TurboTax each year. My mom is my personal accountant and we have never had issues with them. They have always been accurate and dependable.

Mickey Mangum

January 16th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I once used turbo tax for my federal income tax return. The program is very user friendly and the return when printed looked great and was electronically submitted.

Jacob

December 31st, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbo Tax is always our go-to for taxes. With an easy walk through and setup, TurboTax makes it simple and much less stressful to do taxes.

Michelle W

December 16th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

TurboTax is a wonderful site to get my tax prep done. It literally guides me through the process, and for someone who has no idea what I'm doing, it's so helpful and easy to use. Doesn't make me hate it.

Myra Howes

December 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am a college student and I have used TurboTax for I believe 3 years, now. I find it so very helpful. It makes the whole process so much less overwhelming. I appreciate it's simpleness and how user friendly and easy to understand it is.

Juan

December 9th, 2019 Beaver, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love turbotax! I use them every year. I used to pay about $200 every year for a tax guy to do my taxes. Since i started using turbo tax it is easy and free unless i have more complicated taxes. The price then is even still lower than any tax person. It is easy to use and i get my refund fast.

Kathryn

December 6th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wonderful for students and small businesses to get their taxes done with guidance and on a budget! Definitely using again. It also lets you save your work so you don’t have to finish in one go.

Roman Christiansen

December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So easy and intuitive. For standard returns this is really the sensible route to go. I’m somewhat intimidated by both tech and tax forms, but Turbo Tax makes it incredibly easy.

Carter Merrill

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I tried to use and work with TurboTax and it wasn't for me. I got confused easily and wasn't able to work with them efficiently.

Amanda

November 20th, 2019 Warrendale, PA

Turbo Tax makes doing your taxes so much easier and straightforward than attempting to do them yourself.

Nathan D.

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've used Turbotax and the Turbotax app to submit my taxes for the past 3 years - I switched from FreeTaxUSA.com. The app used to be a great experience but last year they tricked a lot of users (including myself) into having to pay for an upgraded plan to submit your taxes, I believe I saw a lawsuit about it on Facebook.

Tony

November 12th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used Turbotax several years before I required an accountant. So easy to use and seemed to be very thorough.

Kathryn Robinson

November 11th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use TurboTax software every year to file our taxes. I feel confident in the software TurboTax provides. I even file the taxes for our business. I used to pay an accountant over $700, but realized I could do the same thing for a fraction of the cost using TurboTax. I feel like TurboTax captures all the deductions my accountant was using, so I’m not missing out on tax breaks by using TurboTax instead of an accountant.

Megan A McEvoy

November 8th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TurboTax was extremely helpful when I had to do taxes for the first time at 16 years old. They made the process of filing my taxes very easy, and they were very trustworthy with all of my private information.

Jessamy Newton

October 15th, 2019 Bountiful, UT

Lots of information available which has allowed me to calculate tax return numbers and find answers to questions.

Derick

October 15th, 2019 Spring, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been using Turbo Tax for several years. It is quick to use and I have never had any issues with audits. The help website has been very helpful.

Marc

October 14th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have made my taxes easy to file. I am a college student, so being able to file myself is a huge blessing.

Victoria

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbo Tax has made submitting my taxes so easy! They walk you through each step and make it easy to understand. I love Turbo Tax!

Tony Gibson

October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've used TurboTax for years and feel that is very intuitive and simple to navigate through. It makes tax preparation very easy for me and definitely helps me catch things I might have missed. I highly recommend.

Jon Scoresby

October 10th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The services provided are good. I like that i can do it all on my own. This last year I was able to talk to a professional CPA to get my questions answered. it was a pretty good experience.

Gail Strother

October 10th, 2019 Bentonville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Turbo tax for two years. I know they have a good reputation and have a good product, but I am not happy with the constant requests to upgrade to the premium product. Offer once and be done. I honestly am not sure If there will be a third year for me.

Vincent Leuzze

October 8th, 2019 San Jose, CA

This is the best way to do your taxes hands down. It’s very easy so new taxpayers can’t get confused and make a mistake!

symber

October 8th, 2019 Orem, UT

Makes doing my taxes so much easier. Simple and easy to follow and is so helpful.

Cynthia Carman

October 8th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I was younger I used Turbo Tax every year for my taxes and loved it! When you are young and filing taxes for the time it can be intimidating but Turbo Tax made it so simple and almost fun...Oh how I long for those simple tax filing years! Thanks Turbo Tax for making a possible painful process easy!

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbo Tax is our go to every year. We love the simplicity from taxes and the guided help. For students, it is a great deal as it is of the cheaper options.

Meredith anderson

October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love that it is step by step. Makes it easiest enough to do on my own without a degree!

Stephen

October 7th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use TurboTax every year for my taxes and it’s pretty simple to use and I have been able to get refunds.

Jami Howell

October 7th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are really convenient to use every year and they store my information securely. If I have anything from multiple states it is more of a hassle.

Kate Gregory

October 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used to pay hundreds of dollars for an accountant to file our taxes. My cousin recommended we use TurboTax and it's still working for us eight years later.

Cathy Lloyd

October 3rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use Turbotax every year. The program is easy to use. We have recommended several family members to use this program for their taxes.

Ashlyn Cann

October 3rd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbo tax is great! I use to work for a CPA firm and would do my taxes with their software and then double check with turbo tax. They were always within a few dollars of each other, and frankly sometimes turbo tax gave me a bigger refund.

Dustin Marx

October 3rd, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used TurboTax to do our taxes for over 20 years. One of the advantages of using the same product year-to-year is the ability to import data from the previous tax year. We typically purchase the "Deluxe" edition that includes support for one state's taxes in addition to the federal taxes. The e-filing for the federal form free, but there is a charge to e-file the state return. However, the state tax return can be easily printed out and mailed in.

Tara Marx

October 1st, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Turbo tax for years to do our taxes. We find it very reliable and continue to use it every year.

Miles Strother

September 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TurboTax is a great service for pretty much any normal taxpayer, although if you're self-employed, you should be ready to pay quite a bit more. I had some self-employed income last year and I used TurboTax, which helped me a lot, but also cost more and constantly prompted me to spend more for their premium services in order to maximize deductions. All in all, they helped me do my taxes, which is what I wanted, in a quick and easy way.

Aliza Henline

September 30th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbotax makes everything so so easy and I love how they tell me how everything is going in my return process. HIGHLY RECOMMEND>

bailey jo

September 27th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am an artist and had no clue what I needed to do when it came to taxes- turbo tax is easy and user friendly- I would be lost without it.

Ted Johnson

September 23rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used TurboTax for the past 10 years and it is very user friendly, not expensive, and quick. They walk you through every step of the way and I feel good about that I don't miss anything.

Rory Henrie

September 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used to use Turbo Tax every year to do my personal taxes until I started my business. As my kids have grown and got jobs I still use Turbo Tax with them to do their simple Tax Returns. It works great and is simple to use. Its also great for teaching kids as they become adults.

kristin Gneiting

September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbo Tax is the best tax preparation software around. They ask questions that helps me walk through every decision every year and I can maximize my refund. They also help me file and keep me apprised of the entire process. They also give tips for preparation and help me gather the information needed. They have support that is easy to talk to and that are professional.

Darrin Henry

September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great way to take care of your taxes on your own and save money. It's easy to use and fast.

steven

August 28th, 2019 Riverhead, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tax Audit that is partnered with Turbox tax is NOT Helpful. Every year I paid for the audit protection and finally needed it and got no help at all.. I can't even get a refund from turbo tax because Tax Audit is separate even though Turbo Tax charged me for the service.. Will not be wasting money on that again..

Chloe Adams

July 11th, 2019 Morgan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love how easy this is! I don’t have to leave my house and it is all very explanatory and if I ever needed help TurboTax answered very quickly!

Breanne Stanko

July 10th, 2019 Logan, UT

I use TurboTax to file my taxes and it is super easy and quick. Questions are simple and it helps get you the best amount back and figure it out. The site is super easy to understand.

Rosann Stanko

June 27th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used TurboTax for years and are very pleased. We definitely would recommend it to others, in fact we have already even recommended to family and friends. When the new tax laws change each year, we have been pleased that it updates and is helpful in those areas.

Kat Humpston

June 20th, 2019 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered my return on a card to my new house after moving out of state. I had used a local bank before and no matter what I did the bank would not close the account, let me access the account or stop incurring overages. turbo tax sent my return to the old bank instead of the prepaid card I ordered, and I lost hundreds of dollars. after many phone calls and hours on the phone turbo tax refuses to fix this. I have used them for years but they don't even follow up with my filed complaints. I am never usingb this service again, money is not safe with turbotax

T

June 19th, 2019

Not a user friendly layout. Hard to maneuver and get to the items needed. Wouldn’t use.

matthew

June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i use Turbotax to do my taxes and its very fast and easy to use. they are very helpful while i do taxes cause the questions aren't hard or anything.

Anna Lower

June 17th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turbo tax made taxes extremely easy to file, no trouble at all with uploading and other procedures

Sierra Beck

June 14th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family uses TurboTax every year for our family members taxes. My mom buys the disc at Costco that let's you file multiple times online for free. All my siblings use this for their taxes and it is straightforward. The website walks you through each step and tells what information it needs.