SunPower

verified

SunPower

verified
SunPower excels when it comes to innovation, design, and production of solar equipment

Founded in 1992, SunPower is a solar company that prides itself on delivering reliable energy and long-term peace of mind for homeowners and businesses. The company is a pioneer in the industry and currently holds more than 750 patents for solar technology.

Known for manufacturing top quality, high efficiency solar panels that generate more power than conventional solar technologies and have a uniquely attractive, all-black appearance for itself and many other players in the industry, SunPower offers a few different options to help both residential and commercial consumers get started with renewable energy, but outsources most, if not all, of its projects to third-party solar installers.

Keep reading to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SunPower, and check out SunPower reviews from real customers.

#1 Sungevity Logo Sungevity ›

8.8

Overall
Score

#2 Sunrun Logo Sunrun ›

8.5

Overall
Score

#3 Solar Energy World Logo Solar Energy World ›

8.1

Overall
Score

#6 SunPower Logo SunPower ›

8.1

Overall
Score

The Good

• Purchase, Lease, and Loan Options Available
  • High Efficiency Panels
  • Industry-Leading Solar Panel Energy Production
  • Attractive Appearance
  • Compatible With Battery Storage
  • Online Monitoring
  • Lengthy Warranties

Purchase, Lease, and Loan Options Available

SunPower offers three different payment options for customers to choose from: solar leasing, purchasing with cash, and financing with a loan.

With the lease option, SunPower Capital owns the system and the customer rents the system from the company, requiring monthly payments. The lease comes with a 20-year performance guarantee, as well as easy options in case the customer needs to transfer the lease.

SunPower also offers outright purchase and financing options for customers interested in the tax credits and other incentives that come along with solar power ownership. Loan terms for solar systems typically range from 5 to 20 years and do not have any prepayment penalties attached.

The cost of a SunPower solar system ultimately depends on several factors, including current energy usage, available amount of unshaded roof space, the local utility’s net metering policy, and other factors. The easiest way to figure out exactly how much solar will cost you is to obtain a free quote from SunPower.

High Efficiency Panels

SunPower is on the cutting edge of solar technology and excels when it comes to innovation, design, and production of solar equipment, so customers can be confident that they will have high quality products on their homes.

In fact, SunPower makes the highest efficiency solar panels you can buy for your roof in today's market, and the company's solar cells are made of anti-reflective glass and coated with anti-reflective coating to ensure that they capture as much sunlight as possible.

Industry-Leading Solar Panel Energy Production

SunPower's X-Series solar panels excel in terms of power generation and deliver 44 percent more energy per watt than competitive products. This means that SunPower can provide more clean power for its customers' homes with fewer solar panels.

SunPower panels also boast 75 percent more energy per watt than conventional solar panels, meaning that an investment in a SunPower system will ultimately pay off more in the long run.

Additonally, SunPower panels maintain their energy production much better than conventional panels in partly-shaded conditions, making them a better rooftop solar option for customers who live in a cloudy region or a relatively shaded area.

Attractive Appearance

In addition to being highly efficient, SunPower's panels are uniquely attractive and aesthetically pleasing. While many other companies in the solar industry offer traditional blue photovoltaic panels, SunPower's panels are all black, which helps them to blend in better with the rooftop on many houses.

Compatible With Battery Storage

SunPower's panels are compatible with the Freedom CPAP Battery produced by Battery Power Solutions. When a SunPower module is installed along with this battery, customers will still have access to electricity in the event of a power outage.

Online Monitoring

Online monitoring is extremely important for customers who want to see what the panels on their roof are producing and ensure that everything is up to par.

SunPower offers a helpful, convenient app for customers to do just that. The app provides important system information such as power output, savings, energy usage over time, and environmental effects.

There is also a consumption monitoring kit that provides more information than the app for customers who would like a more in-depth way to monitor their system. The consumption monitoring kit is installed by the dealer, but may not be compatible with all homes.

Lengthy Warranties

SunPower offers multiple warranties to protect its customers' solar energy systems, including a 25-year product warranty, which covers the equipment itself, and a 25-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation. The clean energy company also offers a 25-year performance warranty, which covers the customer in the event that their solar modules underperform in terms of electricity production and output.

The Bad

• No PPAs for Non-Commerical Buyers
  • Few In-House Installations
  • Customer Service Complaints

No PPAs for Non-Commercial Buyers

Many customers may be interested in obtaining a SunPower module through a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) because this payment method typically includes some kind of $0 down option, which eliminates a barrier to entry for them to go solar.

Unfortunately, SunPower only offers PPAs to commercial customers, so consumers who are interested in a PPA for their home solar system will not have much luck with this company.

Few In-House Installations

SunPower is performing installations itself in select areas of California; however, SunPower panels are available in 41 states, excluding the following, through a network of dealers:

• Alaska
  • Iowa
  • Arkansas
  • Mississippi
  • Alabama

The dealer you choose will end up being your installer and customer care center for the life of the solar PV panels, which creates a bit of confusion as to who should be contacted (the dealer or SunPower) in the event that any issues occur.

Customer Service Complaints

Many users on our site have provided negative feedback in regards to SunPower's customer service.

Common complaints include difficulty to reach a representative, company failure to return phone calls, slow response time, and inability to resolve issues.

The Bottom Line

SunPower offers a number of payment options, some of the most efficient solar panels in the industry, online monitoring for its customers, and a lengthy workmanship and product warranty.

However, the company does not offer PPAs to residential customers and outsources most of its installations, making it confusing for customers to know who to contact if there is an issue.

3.6

Bill F
March 20th, 2019 Madison, NJ DETAILS

I am VERY satisfied with my solar installation and the SunPower panels. Frank C, the owner of Green House Solar has been responsive and informative. I interviewed other companies before choosing GHS because of the local ownership of the installer, and the warrenty of the SunPower panels. It doesn't take a crystal ball to see where the world is going. I'm glad I'm there!

Anthony
March 8th, 2019 Staten Island, NY DETAILS

I was not told by the salesperson that for safety reasons snow guards must be installed. At the first snow storm before my system was even turned on the snow fell like an avalanche from my roof damaging my awning. Thank goodness my grandchildren were not outside. I have a four year old autistic grandson who lives with me who does not understand danger The weight of the falling snow could have killed him Now I find out that I must pay almost $2000 to put snow guards on my roof so my home is not a danger zone So that plus the cost to repair my awning erases any tax benfit I was to have received. I certainly will not recommend sunpower to anyone

Mar 08, 2019

Hello Anthony, I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. Please send me a private message with your contact/account information so i can locate your account. Once you have provided your contact information i will have a specialist reach out to you directly to address your concerns.

Vinod
March 4th, 2019 DETAILS

Very good experience and product quality

Josh
February 28th, 2019 Grand Terrace, CA DETAILS

We got SunPower 6 years ago due to the apparent reliability of the company and panels. However, things started to be problematic almost instantly. The panels were on our roof for months before being turned on because the vendor did not complete paperwork properly for approval to activate them. Once activated, SunPower did not bill correctly, forgetting to send a bill for months and then asking for a multi-month lump sum. Then, our panels regularly underproduced and failed to get even close to what was promised. After long conversations where both the installer and SunPower ignored calls/emails, the installer finally admitted that the sales person lied about production and our situation. Our system performance connection kept dropping out. SunPower kept blaming us until they finally came out and realized that their device sending data was faulty and needed to replace it. We have had sound problems from the inverter, and when I've contacted SunPower through various methods (chat, phone, email), I have to follow up several times to get technical support to actually respond and schedule a visit (they also take no responsibility for the problems). Emailed questions normally go unanswered even though they say that is the preferred way of contacting customer support. I have sent 4 emails in the past 6 weeks and did not receive a single response. Currently, I have been trying to get a resolution about the Production Guarantee, and SunPower is taking no responsibility for ignoring that this reimbursement is to be done in cash. I am unable to get a response, and resolution is still pending. Customer service is polite, but not empowered to do anything except say no to the customer.

Feb 28, 2019

Josh, We're very sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with us, and we'd love the opportunity to make it right. Please email your contact information to me, [email protected], and we'll get a supervisor to assist you.

kags
February 27th, 2019 Granada Hills, CA DETAILS

I would love to speak to a manager, customer representative from the United States. When the salesman who stood in my kitchen told me that Sunpower was a US home based company and local to me (Pasadena CA) I was excited. But now that I have had to contact SP for multiple issues I continuously receive customer service reps from India. Then if you would like to speak to a US rep they have to create a ticket which takes 24 - 48 hours to receive a call back. That's if your lucky to get a call back within that time frame. Its been 5 days and I have yet to receive a call from a US rep. Also I have roof tiles broken from the installation of the solar panels on my roof and have yet to have any one contact me regarding this issue.

Feb 28, 2019

Hello Kags - I am sorry to hear that it has been 5 days and you have not received a call back. Please send me a direct message with your contact/account information and I will have a specialist reach out to you directly.

Jay Levine
February 26th, 2019 Bayville, NJ DETAILS

My experience with SunPower has been a nightmare from the very beginning!! Worst decision ever, when the salesman was standing in my kitchen I expressed how important it was that I get system big enough to handle my consumption. My wife and I did not want 2 electric bills. We had nit yet moved into our new home and I suggested we wait until we had a years worth of bills so we could get the right size system. Our salesman Steve R, swore up and down that they would design a system that would cover all of our consumption. Not even close!! I have had a JCP&L bill in 5 of the last 12 months. I was told the install would take 2 days it took over 2 weeks! The monitoring system they promised is an absolute joke, it has not worked since day one! I have to rely soley on their word to know how many killowatts my system has produced. The latest debacle is my roof has sprung a leak, they sent a company they have on retainer to investigate. The crew determined that there was a leak because the bolts used to secure the system to the roof didn’t have the proper amount of sealant. They assured me they fixed the problem. During our last rain storm I can hear water drip, drip, dripping inside my bedroom wall. When I brought this to their attention they told me because there is no evidence of damage in my house they are not willing to do anything. They want my Sheetrock to decintegrate before they will do anything. The report by the repair crew clearly states the issue was caused by the solar installation, but they want me to hire my own roofer. They even tried to tell me the report had a “typo” where the report stated that the leak was caused by the solar installation. I can’t stress enough how horrible my experience has been with SunPower. Stay away!!!!

Feb 28, 2019

We're sorry to hear this Josh. I have alerted the customer service supervisor team about these issues, and you should be hearing from someone soon.

dino
February 22nd, 2019 Glendale, AZ DETAILS

I did not know that when I wanted to install sollar to may house that sunpower inverter and solar panel was goin to be installed stay away from sunpower they have the worst customer service in the industry my solar not producing electricity from time to time has an error message in the inverter I found out the inverter is on a recall status right now they don't know when is going to be replaced I told them that I want out of the lease they wont let me out of the lease I told them that they are in breach of contract that I will take them to court this company wants to take your money and does not give the service according to the contract

Feb 25, 2019

Hello Dino I would love the opportunity to address your concerns. Please send me a private message with your contact information and i will have your case escalated to a specialist and you will be contacted within 24-48 hours.

W. E. Owens
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

SunPower lived up to their promises. In fact for about a year, my electric bill was fees only.

Feb 20, 2019

Thanks for choosing SunPower, W.E.!

SunPower installed by Freedom Solar
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Believe we got superior Solar panels from SunPower that looks good, performs outstanding, and awesome monitoring app. The only "ding" is the high cost of panels, but I figured I'm in this for the long term and felt we will reap higher reward when it gets to 15, 20, 25 years old.

Feb 20, 2019

Congrats on going solar, Corey!

Corey
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Every part of the process was simple and extremely thoughrough. They made sure we were aware of every step along the way.

Feb 20, 2019

Congrats on going solar, Corey!

Excellent
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Because of the excellent service and how great everything is.

Iyer
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

I am pleased with the performsnce. The salesperson explained the process well and all staff involved were very good to deal with.

Feb 20, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Iyer.

M Schwartz
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Great communication did job on time and product performing as described

Mar 01, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower!

Steve from Weston Connecticut
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Industry leading technology, efficiency, and warranty. Beautifully designed panels. Excellent install crew.

Mar 01, 2019

Thanks, Steve! Glad you appreciate our attractive panels :)

Denise and Rob Ciccarelli
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

The installers were friendly, informative and clean! Great group of guys!

Mar 01, 2019

Thank you Denise and Rob for choosing SunPower.

Ryan Cayabyab
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Exceptional customer service! Delivered a quality installation on schedule!

Thanks Ron!

Peter Kallinger
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Works as advertised with excellent quality panels and accessories.

Thank you, Peter!

February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Great product and excellent knowledge with the sales team. I like the warrenty and that they have the backing that I did not see in other products.

Mar 01, 2019

Thank you! You're correct, we offer a best-in-industry 25-year power & product warranty that covers your entire solar system, unlike other companies who may have different warranties with different terms and may require you to work with multiple hardware companies.

Lee
February 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Honest and up front very good representayiont takes time with custumer

Thanks!

APelaez
February 20th, 2019 Staten Island, NY DETAILS

SunPower was a bad decision. Installing solar panels was the worst decision (at least one of them). My system was installed by an installer company called Green Street whom are no longer in business. According to their goodbye letter, SunPower was to support my system going forward. When my system went down all Sunpower did was refer me to other installers who told me "We do no service systems we do not install" . Finally, after nearly a month of calling installers and calling Sunpower they connected me to an installer that will be happy to come inspect my system for a $200 charge. SunPower's 25 year warranty is a joke. So far my system has not saved me the $32,000 it cost to install. I would have been better off paying my regular light bill. My advice to anyone is don't go through the hassle getting panels installed.

Feb 20, 2019

Hello APelaez, SunPower proudly stands behind its warranty. Your SunPower warranty will cover any labor cost associated with our product as long as the problem is determined to be product-related. Since there is always a possibility that the problem is non-product related (i.e. installer workmanship), the possibility of a diagnostic charge exists. However, if during the site visit it is determined to be warranty related there would be no out of pocket expense. I have escalated your case and i will have a specialist call you within 24 hours to address your concerns.

Kara
February 19th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

SunPower has THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. I wish I would have found this site before because I would have NEVER gotten solar panels. Seriously as long nothing goes wrong than you are fine but as soon as something does you are screwed. A major part broke and our system was down. The person on the phone blamed US for not calling it in sooner. THEN, it has taken over 7+ months to get the part in. for a while we were paying both ASP AND Sun power util I got them to finally stop takin payments out of our account....oh but that didn't stop them from charging out billing account every month. Ivan keeps saying he will get it fixed, it will go back to zero blah blah blah...... NOTHING has been done. I have NO problem paying my billl every month on a system that is working BUT I REFUSE to pay for the months where my system was down. This company is horrible.... stay away from them ... the only reason I gave them a 1 star is because I had to

Feb 20, 2019

Hello Kara, I am sorry for the current issues you are having. Can you take a moment to send me your account info and i will have your situation escalated. Please send me a private message and i will have someone reach out to you within 24 hours. Thank you and we look forward to resolving your issues.

Jason
February 15th, 2019 Chico, CA DETAILS

SunPower has a great product, no doubt about it. The problem lies in their customer service, which is deplorable. As long as nothing, I mean nothing, goes wrong with your system and you never have to call them you will be fine. If anything happens however, you can expect absolutely nothing but headaches and a runaround. I am a proud owner of a $32k system that is useless. Two stars because the panels, when they function, are the best. 0 stars for customer service

Feb 14, 2019

Hello Jason, I'm sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with customer service. Please send me a private message with your account info and i will escalate your case to a specialist to reach out to you within 24 hours.

S Halbert
February 14th, 2019 Buckeye, AZ DETAILS

If I could give 0 stars I would. The seller, Greg F at the time of contact for selling the solar panels to my husband did not explain anything about added pigeon coverage so we did not have the choice to opt in at the time. Fast forward 2 years later, we now have a pigeon infestation, we are getting sick picking up dead birds all around, and my dogs are getting sick. I have courtesy reached out to Christine, as well as Greg to fix this issue. He accepted fault that he did not let us know about this at the time due to having to finance more money and that we can use their preferred vendor. I got a quote from the solar office asking over $1000 to fix a mistake on their end that could've easily been handled at the point of sale. I have asked for them to fix it on their behalf, but they are not willing too, even though they are at fault. As a pregnant woman, my health is at a concern at this time, and I am just asking this company to do the right thing.

Feb 14, 2019

Hello, I apologize for the experience you've had with the dealer thus far. I would love the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details and we will have a specialist reach out to you to address your concerns.

Dave C
February 11th, 2019 DETAILS

great install team. professional, well organized, friendly, concerned, responsive.

Mar 01, 2019

Thank you, Dave, for choosing SunPower!

Justin Orban
February 11th, 2019 DETAILS

All of our contacts and service have been excellent

Thank you Justin!

MG
February 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Amazing experience with California Solar. They are truly a professional, competent contractor. Exceeded all my expectations. Ellis was so easy to work with, very knowledgeable, knew his stuff, always helpful with the best follow- up customer service I have probably EVER received. The crew that installed our Solar were timely, neat and clean, reliable and hard working. I truly cannot say enough good things about this company. We have had many remodel projects and have never encountered such a well-run, start to finish operation. It went smoothly from start to finish, finished on-time and when we had questions, we always heard back from Ellis and California Solar in a timely manner. Not only is their work and product excellent their follow up and support after our system was up and running was super! A year after our system was installed Ellis called to check in and see how everything was working out for us. I have never experienced that type of customer service in the construction industry. They are a first rate company - hands down.

Mar 01, 2019

Thank you, MG, for helping to change how our world is powered.

Lisa A
February 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Exceeded all expectations from the initial bid to the installation.

Mar 01, 2019

Thank you, Lisa! Congrats on going solar.

Gregor
February 12th, 2019 Livermore, CA DETAILS

They were great to work with from start to finish

Thank you, Gregor!

Steven Peck
February 6th, 2019 Rancho Mirage, CA DETAILS

Very good service and delivery. Would recommend them to all.

Thanks, Steven!

K b
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Very helpful and also met all the deadlines that they promised

Thanks!

Excellent service!
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Very professional and walked me thru the whole process all the way.

Feb 06, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower!

Jay Tyson
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

They make a good product, but the customer service has been poor.

Feb 06, 2019

Thank you for the feedback, Jay. I'll reach out privately to see if we may better assist you.

WENDY LYERLA
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Good service, the panels seem to be doing their job

Feb 06, 2019

Thank you Wendy. Your SunPower monitoring app should give you all the information you need to ensure the panels are performing as expected.

Mike S.
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

They have the best contractor (Ambrose).

Thanks, Mike!

P. Smith

Reviews on line and 25 year warrant on the panels

Bill
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Outstanding production, great app, easy to use website. I haven't ha d to buy power since the system was installed! It withstood a hail storm that destroyed my roof!

Feb 06, 2019

Wow, Bill! We're so glad our industry leading durable panels were able to withstand such a storm. Sorry to hear about your roof, though. Thank you for choosing SunPower!

energy concepts in Fresno Ca.
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

after all my research their design with the micro inverters is superior to the other panels on the market

Feb 06, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower.

Peter
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

They were easy to work with for the installation and delivered the amount of power they promised.

Feb 06, 2019

Thanks for choosing SunPower, Peter!

Top Solar Company
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Great solar panels. Great workers. Great speed and customer treatment.

Keith
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Very responsive, no pressure sales and great customer service and follow up.

Feb 06, 2019

Thank you Keith! Our solar advisors are great about how they work with prospective customers. We often hear that people appreciate a low-pressure approach.

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Fast, reliable, & most effecient panels.

Feb 06, 2019

Thanks! Yes, our panels have a world record efficiency of 22 percent or higher.

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

The Local Sale Consultant provided a Great (SunPower) product and followed with great service.

Glad to hear it!

Rod
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Great quality and their subcontractor made it easy to understand. Very little required by me. 25 years is a very good warranty in the industry. Website is excellent

Feb 06, 2019

Thank you Rod. Glad you appreciate our 25-year Power & Product warranty!

Gause
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Whenever I had to call for service troubles, my answers were answered quickly!

Beth
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

The employees are very prompt and clean.

Thank you, Beth!

Odle
February 6th, 2019 Chico, CA DETAILS

Repeated poor communication with customer, made design changes without customer approval

Feb 06, 2019

Sorry to hear this, Odle. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Glenn
February 6th, 2019 College Station, TX DETAILS

Worked first time, works every time, excellent way to tract energy produce and energy used.

Feb 06, 2019

Thanks Glenn! Glad you're enjoying our energy monitoring app.

Eric B
February 6th, 2019 Franklin Square, NY DETAILS

The system and the panels are fantastic! They perform as expected!

Thanks, Eric!

Ron
February 6th, 2019 West Sacramento, CA DETAILS

High-quality panels and integrated mounting hardware

Feb 06, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Ron.

Dave
February 6th, 2019 Visalia, CA DETAILS

great product, doing what its supposed to do

Thanks, Dave.