**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. To read more about the merger and rebrand, please click here.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers pay for the system upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their system, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise Sungevity for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering doing business with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following 11 states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Delaware, Kansas, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Call our recommended rep over at Sungevity below.

4.1

Galt CA Saver
July 23rd, 2019 Galt, CA

My contact with Sungevity was very informative. As it turned out my roof didn't provide enough space for a minimum array of solar panels. No savings could be achieved, and the ground mount decreased the potential for savings. The contact person recommended pursuing other energy savings efforts.

Grant Nguyen
July 23rd, 2019 Garden Grove, CA

Sungevity has been a pleasure to work with. They make the process very smooth and easy. They have a great product, strong warranty and cash payback power guarantee! Very competitive total package value. My solar advisor Scott was very experienced and clearly an industry insider. Highly recommend.

Ken
July 23rd, 2019 Santa Maria, CA

Just started with Crystal a couple of weeks ago, she is an excellent sale rep. Answered most of my questions and those she couldn’t, she went in found the answers—- So far I’m impressed. Ken

Brian
July 23rd, 2019 Oakland, CA

Conpany was quick to respond and provide a quote. Alex was very proactive and professional.

Peter jones
July 23rd, 2019 Hemet, CA

Rosa did a great job on getting the solar installed and powered up in a timely manner thanks for the good work rosa

Robert Perkins
July 23rd, 2019 Manteca, CA

Very helpful answered all me questions. Defiantly would refer them.

Jacqueline
July 23rd, 2019 Santa Cruz, CA DETAILS

Absolutely horrible experience so far. Unfortunately, bought a house that had a solar lease with them, and it wasn't worth losing the house over it. But, not only the worst contract I've ever seen, its also been horrible customer service. Had issues transferring over the lease (still waiting for that info) and the person who handles this (Jenny) was rude and short on the phone. She kept claiming that things were in the contract (which as new buyer, I did not have the original contract) and then said, oh its on this, page, I mean this contract, I mean .... ??? When transfering a lease, they ask for your banking information to set up an automatic ACH payment monthly, which I refused to do until they gave me information about the actual contract. I dont want a random company that has previously gone bankrupt to have the ability to debit my bank account. I told her I did not want to set it up and to let me know how I could send in my payments. Apparently there is no way to do this other than calling in the info every month - no idea how they will do this as I assume they do not accept credit card, so I guess you just call them and give them your bank account number anyways?? When I called to follow up since the account had still had not been transferred, Jenny told me she was busy and she could look into things "if she had the time." Jenny also rudely told me, well you need to set up auto debiting from your bank account, or we will charge you a $10 service fee for every payment. So fine, I guess I will have to set up the automatic transfer. But they also do not provide ANY way to do this SECURELY. You have to write out all you information and send via email. There is no way to mail this (or a check) for payment. So, I filled out the form and told them to call me for the account number. My guess is that they never will, they will claim "autotransfer was not set up" and they will probably charge a late fee and a service fee. And Jenny will be rude about it all the same. Absolutely horrible experience, wish there were a way to break this solar lease.

Thomas Sanders
July 23rd, 2019 Fresno, CA

Ana B was very informative and helpful with our solar search. Even though we decided to go with a local company, I would recommend sungevity because the presentation is great, customer service was awesome, and the prices were competitive

JOHN BRUTON
July 23rd, 2019 Clovis, CA

WILLIAM M WAS VERY HELP FULL IN HIS ANSWERS CONCERNING SOLAR. HE WAS POLITE AND COURTEOUS. HE ANSWERED ALL OUR QUESTIONS. I WOULD RECOMMEND HIM AND HIS COMPANY TO ANYONE WANTING TO KNOW ABOUT SOLAR JOHN C, BRUTON

Joanne Bailey
July 19th, 2019 Oceanside, CA

Shari R has been especially thoughtful and helpful. I had the feeling that she really cared, and was there for me whenever I felt the need. A very pleasant experience indeed!!

Michelle
July 18th, 2019 Woodland Hills, CA DETAILS

So far we have been please with their service and customer service. A big shout out to Sherril T. She has been very professional and courteous.

Nic
July 18th, 2019 Concord, CA

I was never contacted. Best company confirmed they received my quote request, but I never heard from Sungevity. It's been 2 weeks now.

Jul 18, 2019

Hello Nic, I am very sorry to hear this! I would love to look into this right away for you. We strive to reply to our potential customers that are looking for quotes as timely as possible. Will you please email me your phone number, email address and name so I can investigate. I would also be happy to have one of our consultants reach out to you right away. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help turn your experience around. Thank you. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

NN
July 18th, 2019 Swansea, MA

Always there to guide the way! Team effort and class appreciated.

Buffalostevec
July 18th, 2019 Silver Spring, MD

My Solar consultant Patrick is very knowledgeable about Solar and his company. He was respectful of my time and helpful through the process. He did an excellent job of explaining the benefits of Sungevity and answered all of my questions.

Daniel Goicochea
July 16th, 2019 Twentynine Palms, CA DETAILS

Jeff T was very professional and knowledgeable. He helped my wife and I every step of the way and responded to my calls/emails quickly. The rest of the staff helped tremendously as well. The installation was done quickly as well.

Matthew
July 16th, 2019 Newmarket, NH

Sonny was honest and a great person. He wasn’t trying to sell me a system that was over the usage of my house and was truthful. Although the corporation couldn’t install in my state he went above and beyond giving facts and points to look for. Honestly is the best marketing person I have had the pleasure to work with in years

Marc Nehamkin
July 16th, 2019 Vista, CA

ERIC S WAS GREAT PLEASURE TO WORK WITH. I GREATLY APPRECIATED HIS DETAIL UNDERSTANDING OF THE SYSTEMS AND ABILITY TO RESPOND TO ALL MY QUESTIONS. I AM CURRENTLY AWAITING SOME NEW FUNDS AND AT THAT TIME I WILL BE PURCHASING AS SYSTEM FROM ERIC.

Jul 18, 2019

Hi There Marc, Thank you for taking some time to leave some feedback about your experience with Eric. I will be sure to pass your feedback along to his manager to ensure he gets some recognition. If you ever need any service, please don't hesitate to reach out to Eric or any of the Sungevity team assistance. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Greg Johnson
July 16th, 2019 Stockton, CA DETAILS

Patrick S worked on providing the best competitive quote from the top 3 PV system providers. Not only were they the best price they have more finance options available.

Jul 18, 2019

Hi Greg, Thank you for leaving the great feedback about your experience with Patrick. Glad to hear you got a price and financing options you were looking for! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

JK Ryan
July 16th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Sungevity uses a lot of intermediaries to sell their product. So far Horizon Solar and Solar spectrum is who I have been dealing with. I'm not sure what company will do the actual install. William M, the solar consultant with Solar Spectrum has been always available, even while on vacation in Italy. I think the price I got is comparable to the others but I realize I signed over any rebates to the company. So I believe I could have gotten a better price had I slowed down and tried negotiating a little bit. That being said, I am supposed to receive Monitoring and repairs for free for the next 20 years. Still waiting for install, so we will see how that goes and then I will find out how well it actually produces.

Robert
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

We don't have any information about how it works. They were supposed to come out and tell us how it works and that hasn't happened yet. There's nothing on the app on our phone so we're sort of disappointed about that. Installation was fine, but they failed the first inspection and they had to do it a second time.

Jul 16, 2019

Hello Robert, Sorry to hear there is some confusion as to how your system works and that the app still has no production figures. I would love to help you out! Will you please send me an email to let me know the property address where your system is installed? I really want to help get your experience turn around. Thanks Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Julio
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

installation was fast and simple. I rate it at a 4 because they were on time to set everything up, but there was a couple of misunderstandings between them and my electric company

Seng
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

Good customer service over the phone. Installation took a few days, but everything went smoothly. The team came out and quietly put everything together.

Jul 16, 2019

Hello Seng, Thank you for the great 5 star review. We are glad to hear that your install experience went well. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider. We are so proud to welcome you to the Sungevity family. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Anne
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

We got a postcard in the mail saying that they had a $250 Amazon card.Didn't say what it was for, but to call the number. When he came out, I was sold. That was the only way we could get Solar. Installation went really well and was there by the time I came home.

Alberto
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

The system was supposed to be running for a week or week and a half and it's only been running for one day and I haven't received help with that. Installation was really fast, but it has only worked one day. Waiting one week to make an appointment to come to my house is not acceptable. Need better customer service.

Kamran Vakil
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

Great company. Service has been excellent

Jun 21, 2019

Hello Kamran, We are so glad to hear Rosa provided you with a top notch experience as you went solar. She really knows her stuff! Please let us know if any questions or concerns come up. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Mercedes
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

Nick came in and went over everything with us and showed us how it would work in our favor. He listened to what we were saying and wasn't trying to oversell us no anything or undersell us.

Bob & Joni
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

Good customer service and pricing. Excellent kWh output per day so far.

Joe Smith
July 15th, 2019 Alpine, CA

Great customer service and rates. The company is very responsive and professional.

Franky
July 15th, 2019 Menifee, CA DETAILS

Customer service was always very helpful. They were there for any questions that I asked and they always called me back. Installation was pretty simple. Got it done in one day. the installers were pretty friendly and they were informative. They showed me everything about the system that they could and it went well.

Asa
July 15th, 2019 Palm Springs, CA DETAILS

I used Horizon Solar in the past and Sungevity has great customer service. Horizon Solar (before you purchased them) had terrible customer service.

Deborah
July 15th, 2019 Wildomar, CA DETAILS

Really nice staff. They kept me updated the entire process until my solar actually went live. Installation took about four days. There were different steps on each of the days, so within a two week period it went from start to finish.

Jul 18, 2019

Hi Deborah, We really appreciate the 5 star review. We love getting positive feedback stating we are timely and nice. If you ever need any solar service, we hope you will not hesitate to give us a ring. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Denise Quinlan
July 15th, 2019 Yucca Valley, CA DETAILS

Everything went so smoothly from start to finish!

Margaret
July 15th, 2019 Kerman, CA DETAILS

Sungevity was recommended to me. They are efficient at their job and the installation went smooth.

Adam
July 15th, 2019 Greenfield, CA DETAILS

The company delivered and installation went pretty smooth. Sungevity is very professional and they explain their process the best to customers.

Karla Moctezuma
July 15th, 2019 Twentynine Palms, CA DETAILS

Amazing customer service. Quick response to any questions whether it was via email or phone. Very thorough follow through

Thearits
July 15th, 2019 Menifee, CA DETAILS

Installation went great, but It took a couple of trips to pass inspection so that was different.

Cal
July 15th, 2019 Corona, CA DETAILS

Attention to making sure the process went smooth

Jul 18, 2019

Thanks for the great review, Cal! Happy solar! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Z. J.
July 15th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

convenient, and good experience with all stuff at Sungevity. Overall it is so far so good.

Jun 13, 2019

Hello Ji, We are so glad to hear we got all of your questions answered and were timely! We look forward to hearing about your savings down the road. Welcome to the world of powering your household with the sun! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

July 15th, 2019 Covina, CA DETAILS

I thought the Sungevity salemen were professional.

Thanks for the 5 star review! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Satisfied customer
July 15th, 2019 Tehachapi, CA DETAILS

The sales guy was good and the installation and the installer was excellent the only thing I''m concerned about is no one told me is how to clean the panels

Jul 18, 2019

Hi Satisfied Customer, We are very glad to hear things went so well with the installation. If you have any questions or concerns you would like answered, please reach out to me directly and I will be able to help you in anyway that I can. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Great
July 15th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Did a good job. Completed job on time. Good and kind workers.

Jul 18, 2019

Hello There, Thank you for the great review! Please reach out to us if there is ever anything we can do to turn this into a 5 star experience. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Janice Naegele
July 12th, 2019 North Haven, CT

Scott provides us with a comprehensive explanation of solar energy, how the satellite-based calculations are made, and then followed up with an on-line PowerPoint presentation to answer specific questions about our own home and solar panel installation. He was knowledgeable and provided many answers to our questions.

Jul 12, 2019

Hello Janice, Thank you for taking some time to tell us about your experience with Scott. He is one of our most tenured reps and really knows his stuff inside and out. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed his presentation. I will make sure he and our team are aware of your feedback! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Christopher Servello
July 12th, 2019 Redlands, CA

The sales representative that showed up was knowledgeable and helpful. Once we got started we had a good representative (Janette, our project manager) that help with all of the install appointments, confirming of site inspections and any questions we had through the entire process. Everything was completed in a timely manner and they made it and easy process from start to end.

Jul 18, 2019

Hello Christopher, We are so glad to hear things were easy and timely! Our team works hard to ensure a pleasant experience for all of our customers. Thank you so much for choosing us as your solar provider and please do not ever hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Brenda
July 11th, 2019 Desert Hot Springs, CA

Honestly in the middle of the process, we had some issues, but I was finally able to talk to Sherril and she was amazing and was able to answer all the questions we had. She also did everything she said she was going to do.

Jul 17, 2019

Hi Brenda, Thank you for giving Sherril a shout out! I will ensure her manager is aware of your feedback and she gets some recognition. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider and please let us know if you ever have any questions or concerns. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Elvin Rodriguez
July 11th, 2019 Lynn, MA

good company and good service.

Jul 17, 2019

Hi Elvin, Thanks for the 5 stars. Happy solar! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Mona Milana
July 11th, 2019 San Diego, CA

William M was very kind and showed me a brief solution. I have to much shade currently to go solar, but thought the sales person was super friendly and would consider him again in the future.

Jul 17, 2019

Hi Mona, Glad to hear William M provided such a great presentation. We sure hope you will keep us in mind for your future solar needs. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Steven K. Larsen
July 11th, 2019 Apple Valley, CA DETAILS

I can't figure out how I can tell how many kwh I use, verses how many kwh i make in a day and then the total plus or minus I have left over so if need be I can adjust my own use of it.

Jul 17, 2019

Hello Steven, I have attempted to reach out to you directly. It is important to us that we help get these questions answered for you. Please reach out to me so we can help get all of this cleared up and explain how everything works! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

dave rodgers
July 11th, 2019 Wildomar, CA DETAILS

very helpful with the whole process from start thru the delivery, the installation and the final approval.

Jul 17, 2019

Hi Dave, Glad to hear everything went well and we were helpful! Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Mike
July 11th, 2019 Rancho Santa Fe, CA DETAILS

Communications by Horizon is poor. Installation very good

Jul 17, 2019

Hi Mike, Thank you for the review. Sorry to hear our communications were off. Please know this will be looked into and see if we cannot create a learning opportunity from your feedback. Please shoot me an email and let me know if there is anything I can do to help turn your experience around. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Chip
July 11th, 2019 Henderson, NV DETAILS

Lots of information available about company

Jul 17, 2019

Hi Chip, Thanks for the review! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]