Sungevity

verified

9.2

Sungevity

verified
Biggest Customer Praise: Great Customer Service (See User Reviews Below)

**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. To read more about the merger and rebrand, please click here.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers pay for the system upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their system, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise Sungevity for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering doing business with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following 11 states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Delaware, Kansas, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Call our recommended rep over at Sungevity below.

Bill
October 16th, 2018 Lake Elsinore, CA DETAILS

They did a great job in a timely manner and communicated very well.

Eddie Maher
October 16th, 2018 Huntington Beach, CA DETAILS

If your looking for a great company to get solar from then you picked the right company. Great customer service and did everything they promised. I purchased mine and my electric bill is $15 a month. Best thing I ever did and helping the environment too. Nows the time to go green while there's still giving tax credits.

Ronald Low
October 15th, 2018 Lake Elsinore, CA

Scott was professional, knowledgeable and helpful.

John Phillips
October 15th, 2018 Newark, NY

I reached out to Sungevity about a solar system for my house. I spoke to a very knowledgeable representative by the name of Jacob. He had me answer some questions to supply to the engineers to make an assessment on the feasibility of a system. Jacob called back at the time he said he would. After conferring with his engineers, he said that the payback on such a system would be 16 years and that he and his engineers were of the opinion that I probably would be smart to pass on the system, based on current usage, current cost for electricity, and the length of time for payback. I certainly appreciate the information and the advice of the folks at Sungevity. I will definitely recommend Sungevity to friends and family. I thank them for their honest opinion. That is very refreshing in this day and age.

Vlad
October 10th, 2018 Montclair, NJ

the rep (Jacob) was very helpful and informative.

Blake HazelriggOct 10, 2018

Hi Vlad, Thank you for the awesome 5 star review! If there is anything we can ever do to improve your experience please don't hesitate to let us know. We are so happy to chose us to be your solar provider. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Unhappy in California
October 10th, 2018 Suisun, CA

Currently, I have had a lot of issues with this company - been called by different company names without them identifying Sungevity association, bad customer service, impersonal, rapid-fire sales that don’t allow the consumer to get answers needed to make an informed decision, over-selling of panels (want to sell me panels to cover 200% of my current usage but won’t explain why that is a good choice for me). Felt as though they were rushing me through everything. Highly considering going with a different company, not comfortable with Sungevity at this point, and unless things change will not refer others to use Sungevity.

Bill McCalmon
October 10th, 2018 Redlands, CA DETAILS

Great job, everything they promised, when they promised

Lowell Richards
October 10th, 2018 Martinez, CA

We decided not to go with Sungevity even though the bid was reasonable, because of our particular configuration was not a fit. The sales person was very responsive and good to work with.

MartyH
October 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Speedy and accurate site assessment leading to a performance- guaranteed design.

none
October 9th, 2018 San Marcos, CA DETAILS

mostly satisfied but some lack of communication slowed down the job

Craig Clark
October 9th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

great communication and great installers

Zhengyi
October 4th, 2018 Hicksville, NY DETAILS

I haven't had any problems with them at all. They came in right away and were very patient.

Blake HazelriggOct 10, 2018

Hi Zhengyi, Thank you for the kudos! We love getting this kind of feedback and plan to offer this same level of service over the life of your solar system. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

John
October 4th, 2018 Staten Island, NY DETAILS

They've kept their word. If they said they were going to call me or do anything in the process they've done it on time and as they said they were. So far the process has been very seamless and the people that I've been in contact with have been very professional and courteous.

Rod
October 4th, 2018 Riverside, CA DETAILS

They were very professional, they were on time on everything, and they answered all my questions.

Charles
October 4th, 2018 Rialto, CA DETAILS

They kept me informed of everything that was going on and when it was going to be done. The equipment is working, they're professional and I didn't have to be at home for the installation.

Clifford
October 4th, 2018 Phelan, CA DETAILS

The installation process was fine, I had some problems but they were willing to take care of it. They haven't delivered on everything they guaranteed me.

Ronald
October 4th, 2018 Porterville, CA DETAILS

They're fast in getting back to me and letting me know where things stand and what comes next in the system.

October 4th, 2018 Highland, CA DETAILS

The installation process was very slow, extremely slow. We got our panels done in may and we didn't have them turned on until late August and then we went for almost two full weeks after being told that we were up and running by Sungevity and that we weren't generating electricity. I had to persistently call Sungevity before they found out it was a manufacture defect. It currently doesn't work, and they weren't able to tell for two weeks that it wasn't working, and I wasn't credited for those two weeks.

Linda
October 4th, 2018 DETAILS

They have provided me with outstanding support, they're just a wonderful company. I highly recommend them anybody because this young man Alex will explain it detail by detail and if you don't understand it they'll make sure you do. Alex is the reason that I chose it and then every person that had any type of contact with me was just absolutely wonderful. The installation was slower than expected but I know I got good service.

Benny Zheng
October 3rd, 2018 Groton, CT

Jacob was very professional and answered all questions respectfully and adequately.

Ed
October 2nd, 2018 Borrego Springs, CA DETAILS

Installation was very good, quick, and efficient. We had some minor issues in the beginning, but they were quickly resolved by customer service. The device itself seems to be high tech and well positioned.

Howard
October 2nd, 2018 Hesperia, CA DETAILS

Customer support is always right there if we have problems. They ensure that everything is working.

Hildrith
October 2nd, 2018 Apple Valley, CA DETAILS

Everybody at Sungevity has been wonderful. The installation process went well.

Floyd
October 2nd, 2018 Laguna Hills, CA DETAILS

Sungevity has been very trustworthy with me so far. Customer service is upfront with what they will do. The installation process was done professionally. All of my questions have been answered.

Kavita
October 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

The response time to my questions was very fast. Sungevity uses better quality products to make sure there's less issues down the line after its installed.

Paul
October 2nd, 2018 Vista, CA DETAILS

Customer service is very good. They are very thorough and timely. Installation of the product went by very smoothly. It was far better than I had expected.

S
October 2nd, 2018 Redlands, CA DETAILS

Installation went by smoothly. They came back because they accidentally broke some tiles. I was provided with clear explanations and information that was easy to understand. Sungevity is a strong company, however they are one of the more expensive solar companies.

Lucio
October 2nd, 2018 Norco, CA DETAILS

The sales representative was very easy to work with, and readily available. So far everything is going very well.

Theresa
October 2nd, 2018 Signal Hill, CA DETAILS

I'm realizing savings that I had not anticipated, and so I am very pleased with my experience. Customer service called me back quickly when I had questions regarding the service.

Mark
October 2nd, 2018 Lancaster, CA DETAILS

Very impressed with the sales representative who came up with a solution that worked for us. During the installation process, there was a minor problem, but it was solved fairly quickly.

Shirley
October 2nd, 2018 El Centro, CA DETAILS

Installation was smooth, and the people that I interact with at Sungevity are amazing.

Joel Feldman
October 1st, 2018 Santa Rosa, CA DETAILS

From your terrific website, to your very informative and helpful phone representative, plus your fantastic site technician and finally the strident assigned project manager , this so far has been a painless productive process.

Blake HazelriggOct 01, 2018

Hi Joel, Thank you for the amazing review. We work very hard to ensure we are providing the best experience in the industry and it makes our day when we get this kind of feedback. If there is anything we can ever do to make things even better, please just let us know! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Ms Shari Schreiber MA
October 1st, 2018 Altadena, CA

Phone interchange was lovely... but was promised a call back, and didn't get one. This is on the heels of nobody responding to my online query. I'm not inclined to trust a company that doesn't follow-through in the earliest stages of negotiations.

Mohan Upadhyaya
October 1st, 2018 Campbell, CA

I had my solar panels installed via Solar Spectrum and decided to make that plunge after couple of years waiting. The project manager they assigned Eli G was nice to work with and provided periodic updates. Now panels are installed, inspected and was given go-ahead by PG&E and they are now functional and active. I am satisfied by the customer service provided and hopefully they continue this trend!

Blake HazelriggOct 01, 2018

Hi Mohan, Thank you for taking the time to post the 5 star review. We pride ourselves on the experience we provide and it is always great when we get this sort of confirmation from our customers. If there is ever anything we can do to help please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

CHRISTINE DIDION
September 28th, 2018 Corona, CA DETAILS

JD M is an absolute delight to work with! He was very professional over the phone and punctual to our appointment. After discussing my system and informing me on how to get the best production, he made it easy to understand! JD went above and beyond my expectations and I really appreciate his hard work. It’s always great finding someone who takes pride in what they do and in the company they represent! Thank you!

Laura A Janssen
September 24th, 2018 Emeryville, CA

really enjoyed it. Peter was excellent. even went to MEET him, on bicycle. thought you were still at Jack London Square, in Oakland, where I met you 20 or so years ago. well, Peter was waiting outside for me when I finally arrived at your relatively new location.

darryl
September 24th, 2018 Syosset, NY

the solar package is too expensive to install. I decided to wait.

john
September 24th, 2018 Maple Shade Township, NJ

Great! on time....... very polite, and professional...... Not pushy, or high pressure sales. Very Highly recommend

Robert W Frechette
September 24th, 2018 Jewett City, CT

unwilling to look at facts that might require work onthere part paying your electric bill means you can not afford there system even if it is less than half you existing bill no clue???? very unwilling to look into other avenues for a client they have no trust in me i have no trust in them so enden an unhealthy relation shipi did not want to test they dont need the buisness so i purchased a whole house generator system

Angus MacDonald
September 24th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA

Way too pushy. Even got defensive/argumentative when I refused to name the company I hired. Would never recommend.