Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

9.1

Sungevity

verified
$100 Guarantee
Biggest Customer Praise: Great Customer Service (See User Reviews Below)

**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. To read more about the merger and rebrand, please click here.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers pay for the system upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their system, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise Sungevity for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering doing business with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following 11 states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Delaware, Kansas, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Call our recommended rep over at Sungevity below.

Paul J Fast
December 5th, 2018 Denver, CO

A very professional presentation of their system. After going through their checklist, they agreed that their system would not save me much in the near future and we both agreed to go our different ways. I appreciated that they tried not to sell me a system anyway.

Blake HazelriggDec 05, 2018

Hi Paul, Thank you for considering us as your solar provider! If your usage habits change in the future we sure hope you will reach out to us again for assistance with you households electrical needs. We also have an industry leading referral program if you think any of your family or friends could benefit from a system, we hope you will send them our way! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Dan
November 27th, 2018 San Jose, CA

Initial Sungevity rating would have been good, but nobody let's you know that they were bought out by Solar Spectrum, and THEIR customer ratings, track record, and attentiveness to customers attempting to get their attention for warranty-related issues is atrocious. Do your homework on "both" companies. I promptly cancelled my contract, and they harrassed me by phone for days, until I finally blocked all their numbers. If you're smart, you'll look elsewhere.

Doug R
November 27th, 2018 San Jose, CA

Submitted online quote request on 11/11/18 and received a call back within an hour. Gave preliminary info. Nothing since then, 9 days later. Other companies have made apps for onsite visits already

Lee Neville
November 27th, 2018 Van Nuys, CA DETAILS

I've not been able to get any decent customer support since the company went bankrupt.

Niberca G. Polo
November 27th, 2018 West Orange, NJ

Having little knowledge of renewable energy and solar systems, Jacob was very helpful in introducing me to key terms so I could better understand the benefits of using solar. He was also very responsive and was able to get quotes within hours and discuss possibilities and address my questions and concerns over the phone. He was very patient as I explored all my options and felt confident that I understood all information before making a final decision.

Peter
November 27th, 2018

The call with the consultant went really bad. The fact were not taken into account and empathy for the customer was none. Asking and arguing about certain choices by Sungevity on our project were dismissed and afterwards we got an email that we was not the right client for them...

Chavis Chauychoo
November 20th, 2018 Boston, MA DETAILS

No possible to decide for further step without knowing the products. The website is quite negative to my feeling as immediately force the viewers to fill in on just for first enquiry. I did filled it because the grade 9.2 from the raters.

Marco Venegas
November 20th, 2018 San Martin, CA DETAILS

After I was notified by PG&E that my solar panels have not been producing any energy for over a year. I quickly contact Sungevity for assistance but could not get a hold of anyone. After reaching out to Mosaic, they informed me that my contact was taken over by Solar Spectrum. I then reached out to them and was told to email Blake H, their Senior Solutions Manager. After explaining my situation to Blake through email and sending him pictures of my inverter screen, he was able to solve my problem remotely that very same week! He also set me up with a new monitoring profile were I can easily monitor my solar panel productivity. Now I can make sure my solar panels are always working correctly. All our communication was through email, which was very convenient for me due to my busy work schedule. I also didn't have to go through the trouble of requesting a day off to wait for a technician to physically come to my home and check my solar panels. So far my experience with my new solar company, Solar Spectrum, has been GREAT! Thanks to Blake H

Blake HazelriggNov 20, 2018

Hi Marco, You made my day! Thank you for the shout out and 5 star review. If there is ever anything else I can do to help with your solar experience I hope you won't hesitate to let me know. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

minh nguyen
November 21st, 2018 Westminster, CA DETAILS

Sungevity provides the best employees with the vast knowledge. The production manager, Zac O, is always prompt with any answers and solutions for my questions and requests I have. I definitely recommend you consider Sungevity for your solar projects.

Samuel
November 20th, 2018 Blackwood, NJ DETAILS

When Sonny N first contacted me about the solar panels and how they worked I was very impressed with his knowledge. Now when it comes to me I have been told that I ask a lot of questions and I mean a lot. But Sonny N was able to answer every single question that I threw at him and if he did not know the answer he definitely found it which helped not only me but him in the long run as far as feeding his own knowledge. He also linked himself to my computer to show me the actual breakdown and process that it takes in installing and activating the solar panels. Even going as far as telling me how many solar panels I needed and how the warranty worked. On top of that, he had no problem doing all of that again for a second time just to make sure my wife was on the same page. A couple months down the line my solar panels were finally installed by a very professional group of installers that explained how it works when it’s turned on, and how to actually turn the panels on myself. Last but not least. When the day came for my wife and I to turn on the solar panels they emailed us a very clear short instructional manual and it was super easy to do. I am very pleased that I was able to talk to Sonny N and his partners. I will recommend them to my family and friends. Wonderful people to do business with.

Blake HazelriggNov 20, 2018

Hi Samuel, We are so glad you chose us as your solar provider. Sonny prides himself on the experience he provides his customers and I will ensure he is aware of this feedback you have provided. If there is ever anything you need when it comes to your solar system, just let us know as we will be here to help! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Thomas Guy
November 12th, 2018 Narberth, PA

Sungevity never called or emailed me back.

Steve Smith
November 12th, 2018 Richmond, CA

I asked about a high-volume csutom application for a client Sungevity gave my email lip-service but basically was completely unresponsive; the factory repeatedly referred me to a random-dealer-of-my-choice and THEY were completely unresponsive and dismissive. I gave my client a recommendation that entirely bypassed Sungevity.

Shan
November 9th, 2018 Edison, NJ

Patrick S of Solar Spectrum provided a great sales service and helped me in deciding on a solar system

Blake HazelriggNov 14, 2018

Hi Shan, Thank you for the 5 star review! Patrick is one of our senior reps and sure prides himself on his solar knowledge. I will ensure the kudos gets passed along. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Debbie Rose
November 7th, 2018 San Clemente, CA

Company was timely on returning emails but process was impersonal. Ultimately decided to go with another company because they visited our home immediately, educated us on best choices for installing solar and had our roof inspected prior to discussing options. A much faster process all around and more personal. Not prepared to make a big decision such as this one via email ):

Josh
November 6th, 2018 Vista, CA DETAILS

Very deceptive bait and switch practices. Seller (Anthony) quoted me a price for 13 panels and after going through all the documentation, processing my credit and even sending me the loan documents he say he can no longer sell me the solar panels and the price he quoted and that the cost has to go up over $900. He dismissed it as it only increased my monthly payment by $1. Then he later tried to increase the value of the deal by adding another panel for a total of 14 panels for an additional $47. The next day he comes back saying that he can't sell me the 14 panels for the $47 price increase and that he needs to charge me an additional $600+ dollars. My deal is now over $20k for 14 panels. He then goes on to talk about how the large price tag is due to a dealer fee because I am getting a loan. Why did he not mention this from the very beginning? Super deceptive and not transparent. Buyers beware. **Update** Anthony's manager (Marco) called me back to apologize for the issue I described above. I'll give 2 star for customer service for that. He also offered to extend a discounted price, at which he states, where he will break even so I gave him a chance to offer a new price. $500 off. $500 off? Are you kidding me. While I appreciate the gesture... 2.5% discount? The system will still be over $20k for a 4.2kwh system. Marco tried to justify his cost and even state that solar costs have gone up over the years because in the past solar companies were installing at cost or a loss to gain market share. All my research shows otherwise. All my other quotes are significantly less (roughly 35% less) and they are not a no name company. They are reputable local companies with great reviews. I will never go for the cheapest bid because obviously you get what you pay for, but I don't think Sungevity is worth the 30% premium. BE SURE TO GET OTHER QUOTES. Compare apples to apples.

Blake HazelriggNov 02, 2018

Hi Josh, I am very sorry to hear about this experience! We always do all we can to offer the best customer experience in the industry and it sounds as though that is definitely not what you received. I have asked one of our Senior Sales Managers to reach out to you directly and see if there is anything we can do on our end to help mend things and review pricing etc. Again, we are very sorry your initial experience was not ideal and hope we can get this turned around from a 1 star rating. Thank you for considering us for your solar needs. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Eric oda
November 2nd, 2018 Whittier, CA

Made an appointment with a Representative named Sonny. Called me an hour late and I never took his calls back. He left me a message saying he ran into a meeting. I would appreciate a call before hand letting me know. I only give businesses one chance to earn my business. And first impressions are everything. Thanks for making my decision easier.

Han
October 29th, 2018 Santa Rosa, CA

He said to me he referred someone will call me . Until now nobody call me.

[email protected]Oct 29, 2018

Hi Han, We are very sorry to read this and would love the opportunity to make this right. Would you mind sending us over your contact information to [email protected] and someone from leadership will be in contact right away? Thank you, and we look forward to speaking with you soon. Best, Liz D.

Matt
October 29th, 2018 Webster, MA

Will P is an excellent sales rep. He made everything seamless and gave me daily updates with the process and gave me presentation that put the benefits of owning solar into perspective

Carlos Vasquez
October 29th, 2018 Madera, CA

I haven't got my solor unit installed yet but I will write another review after and maybe 1yr after that. Why I'm writing now is to talk about the customer service I have gotten so far from my salesman Brandon. I feel he is good at his job, well informed, very helpful, very patient, very respectful especially for veterans which I am as well. Not pushy on sales, gave me days to think about it, let me set the day and time when he should call back. Just liked the service I was given, very much and I'm usually not one to leave a comment or do survey's or anything like that.

Pedro
October 26th, 2018 Union City, NJ

Solar Spectrum / Sungevity is the best solar renewable energy installation company in my opinion, with special thanks to Alex A. Alex is not your typical representative or sales person. He literally spent hours with me in explaining every single detail and as well as patiently answering all my in-depth questions. Therefore, I highly recommend Solar Spectrum / Sungevity to anyone interested in solar renewable energy for their home or business!

Alexa
October 25th, 2018 San Marcos, CA

I received a phone call from William P shortly after my online inquiry about solar systems. I’m a person that does a lot of research prior to purchasing ANYTHING and William was able to talk me into considering Sungevity system in an hour. William is a great listener and has a good sense of customer needs so he was able to suggest the best system for me in a very short time. It was a no brainer. He is very knowledgeable about every single detail of what he’s selling which I appreciated. I phoned him few time since the signing to ask few questions and he was always understanding and available to answer my concerns. I couldn’t be more satisfied with the entire process. William P made my decision to go solar very easy.

Blake HazelriggOct 25, 2018

Hi Alexa, Thank you for the five star review! William definitely provides himself on his solar knowledge and the experience he provides his customers. We are so glad you chose us as your solar provider! Please reach out to us with any questions. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Biily
October 23rd, 2018 Manteca, CA DETAILS

Great Product/Service and Friendly installers.

Greg Osborne
October 23rd, 2018 Rancho Palos Verdes, CA DETAILS

They were very efficient and professional

[email protected]Oct 23, 2018

Hi Greg, Thank you so much for the great review! Greg, now that you have experienced the many benefits of going Solar with us let us reward you with up to $2,000.00! Here's how: * Earn $500 for your first referral. * Earn $1,000 for your second referral. * Earn $2,000 for your third and all future referrals. We make it as easy as 1, 2, 3, to share your love of Solar with family, friends, and neighbors. Login to the Ambassador portal: www.sungevity.getambassador.com Straight from your portal you can share your Link on social media or enter referrals manually by using the direct entry form. For Assistance Call: (866) 488-1922 or Email [email protected] Warmest Regards, Liz D.

Darwin
October 23rd, 2018 Oroville, CA DETAILS

Everyone I met whether it be by phone or in person was great I even got to learn about (not necessarily understand) the installation and how things work. The down side was that contacting a representative (excluding Brandon Rushing) was quite the challenge. I also asked for business cards and a sign to put in the yard. I have yet to see either.

Jeff
October 23rd, 2018 Visalia, CA DETAILS

Everything went smoothly no hitches or problems.

[email protected]Oct 23, 2018

Hi Jeff, Thank you so much for the awesome review! Jeff, now that you have experienced the many benefits of going Solar with us let us reward you with up to $2,000.00! Here's how: * Earn $500 for your first referral. * Earn $1,000 for your second referral. * Earn $2,000 for your third and all future referrals. * We make it as easy as 1, 2, 3, to share your love of Solar with family, friends, and neighbors. Login to the Ambassador portal: www.sungevity.getambassador.com Straight from your portal you can share your Link on social media or enter referrals manually by using the direct entry form. For Assistance Call: (866) 488-1922 or Email [email protected] Warmest Regards, Liz D.

Leone
October 24th, 2018 Rancho Cordova, CA

Matthews very diffilult to work with, seems not especially interested in devoting much time in a sale.

Richard Sandoval
October 19th, 2018 Fontana, CA

Not good, no one ever contacted me for a quote sent an email with copy of the electric bill probably first of the month/October and till this day no call

[email protected]Oct 19, 2018

Good morning Richard, We are very sorry to hear that no one has gotten back to you, and I want to take the time to thank you for reaching out and letting us know. Would you mind sending us over a private message or e-mail with your contact information and we can have someone from leadership reach out and assist you? The best e-mail address to use would be [email protected] Thank you, Richard, and we look forward to hearing from you soon. Warm Regards, Liz D.

Bill
October 16th, 2018 Lake Elsinore, CA DETAILS

They did a great job in a timely manner and communicated very well.

Blake HazelriggOct 16, 2018

Hi Bill, This is the type of feedback our team works so hard for day in and day out! Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Eddie Maher
October 16th, 2018 Huntington Beach, CA DETAILS

If your looking for a great company to get solar from then you picked the right company. Great customer service and did everything they promised. I purchased mine and my electric bill is $15 a month. Best thing I ever did and helping the environment too. Nows the time to go green while there's still giving tax credits.

[email protected]Oct 19, 2018

Hello Eddie, Thank you so much for the thoughtful review. We love your "go green" outlook and want to congratulate you on your new savings! Now that you have experienced the many benefits of going Solar with us, let us reward you with up to $2,000.00! • Earn $500.00 for your first referral. • Earn $1,000.00 for your second referral. • Earn $2,000.00 for your third and all future referrals. Login to the Ambassador portal; https://sungevity.getambassador.com/ You can share your link on social media straight from your portal, or you can enter your referrals manually with the direct entry form. For assistance call: (866) 488-1922 or Email [email protected] Warm Regards, Liz D.

Ronald Low
October 15th, 2018 Lake Elsinore, CA

Scott was professional, knowledgeable and helpful.

[email protected]Oct 19, 2018

Hi Ronald, Thank you so much for the awesome review! We will be sure and let Scott and his managers know about the kudos! Now that you have experienced the many benefits of going Solar with us let us reward you with up to $2,000.00 Here's how: * Earn $500 for your first referral. * Earn $1,000 for your second referral. * Earn $2,000 for your third and all future referrals. * We make it as easy as 1, 2, 3, to share your love of Solar with family, friends, and neighbors. Login to the Ambassador portal: www.sungevity.getambassador.com Straight from your portal you can share your Link on social media or enter referrals manually by using the direct entry form. For Assistance Call: (866) 488-1922 or Email [email protected] Warmest Regards, Liz D.

John Phillips
October 15th, 2018 Newark, NY

I reached out to Sungevity about a solar system for my house. I spoke to a very knowledgeable representative by the name of Jacob. He had me answer some questions to supply to the engineers to make an assessment on the feasibility of a system. Jacob called back at the time he said he would. After conferring with his engineers, he said that the payback on such a system would be 16 years and that he and his engineers were of the opinion that I probably would be smart to pass on the system, based on current usage, current cost for electricity, and the length of time for payback. I certainly appreciate the information and the advice of the folks at Sungevity. I will definitely recommend Sungevity to friends and family. I thank them for their honest opinion. That is very refreshing in this day and age.

Blake HazelriggOct 16, 2018

Hi John, Thank you for taking some time out of your day to share this awesome feedback. Please know that I will share this with Jacob and his manager. We appreciate you being an advocate of our brand by telling your friends and family about us! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Vlad
October 10th, 2018 Montclair, NJ

the rep (Jacob) was very helpful and informative.

Blake HazelriggOct 10, 2018

Hi Vlad, Thank you for the awesome 5 star review! If there is anything we can ever do to improve your experience please don't hesitate to let us know. We are so happy to chose us to be your solar provider. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Unhappy in California
October 10th, 2018 Suisun, CA

Currently, I have had a lot of issues with this company - been called by different company names without them identifying Sungevity association, bad customer service, impersonal, rapid-fire sales that don’t allow the consumer to get answers needed to make an informed decision, over-selling of panels (want to sell me panels to cover 200% of my current usage but won’t explain why that is a good choice for me). Felt as though they were rushing me through everything. Highly considering going with a different company, not comfortable with Sungevity at this point, and unless things change will not refer others to use Sungevity.

Bill McCalmon
October 10th, 2018 Redlands, CA DETAILS

Great job, everything they promised, when they promised

Lowell Richards
October 10th, 2018 Martinez, CA

We decided not to go with Sungevity even though the bid was reasonable, because of our particular configuration was not a fit. The sales person was very responsive and good to work with.

MartyH
October 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Speedy and accurate site assessment leading to a performance- guaranteed design.

none
October 9th, 2018 San Marcos, CA DETAILS

mostly satisfied but some lack of communication slowed down the job

Craig Clark
October 9th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

great communication and great installers

Zhengyi
October 4th, 2018 Hicksville, NY DETAILS

I haven't had any problems with them at all. They came in right away and were very patient.

Blake HazelriggOct 10, 2018

Hi Zhengyi, Thank you for the kudos! We love getting this kind of feedback and plan to offer this same level of service over the life of your solar system. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

John
October 4th, 2018 Staten Island, NY DETAILS

They've kept their word. If they said they were going to call me or do anything in the process they've done it on time and as they said they were. So far the process has been very seamless and the people that I've been in contact with have been very professional and courteous.