Sungevity

verified

Sungevity

verified
Biggest Customer Praise: Great Customer Service (See User Reviews Below)

**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. To read more about the merger and rebrand, please click here.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to.

We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets.

With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship.

For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers pay for the system upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof.

After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function.

Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer.

Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of.

The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world.

In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their system, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise Sungevity for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests.

Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering doing business with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found.

Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer, and its website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following 11 states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Delaware, Kansas, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Call our recommended rep over at Sungevity below.

melinda Wright
February 19th, 2019 Upper Lake, CA DETAILS

Scott G was our contact person. He is super knowledgeable and patient while I navigated the solar industry. We ultimately decided to have our system installed by Sungevity in great part due to Scott.

Janis Corcoran
February 14th, 2019 Fort Collins, CO

Felicity helped give us info about solar so when we are ready to build our mountain retirement home we will definitely think about contacting Felicity to set up our solar account.

Feb 20, 2019

Hi Janis, Thank you for sharing this awesome review! We are so glad that you reached out to Felicity and certainly hope you keep us in mind for all of your future solar needs. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

February 11th, 2019 Yuba City, CA DETAILS

I would have gave them 0 ,they never reply to messages or call after installation

Mohammed Chowdhury
February 7th, 2019 Jamaica, NY DETAILS

Felicity W was fantastic and was happy to help me with my concern. She was very kind and helpful and will be doing a follow-up next week.

P D
February 4th, 2019 San Francisco, CA

I found the sales person to be super high pressure. I told him I had work to do and he called 3 or 4 times a day. He was unaware of rebates I was entitled to. I really didn't like the "sign this before you read it attitude." And I took a hit on my credit rating for the hard hit. A VERY disappointing experience

Bill
February 4th, 2019 Antioch, CA

Sales person was professional and followed up on any question and offered support for any issue. System offered was good - German manufactured solar panels and string inverter (all panels produce DC then convert to AC). This is an efficient system. All equipment specs, costs, installation, warranty, support and discounts were discussed and documented. Ultimately I decided on competitor due to better quality solar panels and with inverters on each panel which provides, in my opinion, better monitoring of each panel productivity.

David
February 1st, 2019 Atwater, CA

My experience with Scott was a very positive one, he is very knowledgeable and acted in a very professional and personable manner. I felt like he was honest and genuinely wanted to help me find the right fit for solar. Scott was not pushy at all, and allowed me to ask several questions about solar, until I felt at ease with this decision. If this is any indication of how Sungevity operates, I am very much looking forward to my future with Sungevity.

Daniel Garcia
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Sungevity offers the best warranty on the market as well as the price

Jan 30, 2019

Hi Daniel, Thanks for the awesome 5 star review. Don't forget, we are always here to help you if there are ever any questions or concerns that come up. Thank you so much for choosing us as your solar provider! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

r t
January 30th, 2019 East Walpole, MA DETAILS

my experience with sungevity has been horrible very poor customer service there is always no one to answer the phone and when one writes an email no response its been a year since my system is showing no production but no one from the company is able to help to fix the problem

Sandra Sexton
January 30th, 2019 Desert Hot Springs, CA DETAILS

I wanted a purchase plan and they offered the 25 year plan which worked for me. Alex was great with the sales part always staying in touch and very informative. Michael T that was the project manager could not have been more helpful even in areas that I don’t think we’re his areas. Really great customer service from him. Blaze got involved with me because I didn’t like the monitoring website and I was having problems with it. He answered any questions that I had about the solar production and also provided me with an app (SolarEdge) which is what I was wanting in the first place so all in all I was very happy with the experience. The installers were a couple weeks behind but that was not anything that anyone could control.

M Acosta
January 24th, 2019 Northvale, NJ

Our Salesperson Patrick was amazing. He ensured we had a seamless process from the beginning to end. We have reccomended him to several family members and friends.

Jan 24, 2019

Thanks so much for the awesome 5-Star review. We will be sure to let Patrick and his managers know about the shout-out and thank you for sharing your love of solar with your family and friends. We sure appreciate you! Kind Regards, Liz D.

Stephen Potakey
January 24th, 2019 Frederick, MD

Spoke with sonny and he was truthful to me. He told me my present energy consumption is low which wouldnt need solar panels.

donald b. walton
January 23rd, 2019 Newbury Old Town, MA

felicity , is an amazing sales agent she needs a raise in my mind great employee thank you , Don Walton

Jan 23, 2019

Hi Don, Thanks so much for taking the time to write us such a nice 5-Star review! we will be sure to let Felicity and her managers know about the shout-out. Kind Regards, Liz D.

Jason
January 30th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Initially everything was great but as soon as something went wrong Sungevity/solar spectrum is no where to be found! Had two micro-inverters go out. Called Sungevity/solar spectrum and couldn’t anybody to answer the phone. Left message after message and no return call. Sent email after email.. no response. Avoid them at all costs!!

Bobo
January 17th, 2019 Yucaipa, CA DETAILS

Product was excellent but had some issues with the service. Took a long time to get service calls complete.

Steve M
January 17th, 2019 Petaluma, CA DETAILS

Did everything they said they would do and close to the scheduled date.

N/A
January 17th, 2019 Rio Vista, CA DETAILS

It took forever to get my promised referral fee

Glenda
January 17th, 2019 San Jacinto, CA DETAILS

Took over 6 months to complete process and communication was not good. Sungevity states that some of the problem came from So. Calif Edison.

Octavia Sutphin
January 16th, 2019 Trenton, NJ

We had a Great experience with Scott. Scott had us excited about getting solar. His knowledge about the product and process was awesome. His mannerism and presentation sold my reluctant husband. I was anxious to refer family and friends to speak with Scott. However, the second part, the installation process of which was not with Scott; it was with another person and installation company, this was disappointment. There was too many delays dealing with the installation portion of the process. I wish we could've dealt with Scott throughout the entire process. The panels are installed; however, still not in use.

vs
January 15th, 2019 Cheshire, CT

My solar project was not cookie cutter, and needed a site visit. They immediately dropped the project. I guess they only work on the easy, no brainer ones.

Ray
January 10th, 2019 Norwood, NJ DETAILS

Would do zero stars if I could. They couldn’t care less about existing customers. I had problems reading my solar production and they ignore my phone calls and emails. I have not been able to get my state credit for a year now.

Frank Urbani
January 10th, 2019 Marlborough, MA DETAILS

Jeff L was kind , patient and knowledgeable when I asked a thousand questions!😀 I also had the same experience when dealing with Eric E. While I understand some of the delays with permitting that can occur in a state like Mass, Jeff and Eric always reassured me that everything would turn out fine... they were right. Thank you Jeff and Eric.

Jan 14, 2019

Hi Frank, Thank you so much for the awesome 5-Star review! We will be sure to let Jeff, Eric and their managers know about the kudos, and please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything else we can do for you. Kind Regards, Liz D.

Behnam Nematzadeh
January 10th, 2019 Northridge, CA

I delt with Mr. Alex A Senior Sales Consultant I was amazed how well he was able to explain throughout all aspects of transaction he is truly class “A” professional thank you Alex.

Myron
January 9th, 2019 DETAILS

Would have been a five star but a no show no call on installation but , came out 10 days later to install.

Diana
January 9th, 2019 DETAILS

They explain everything so well. They don't pressure you to buy it and communicate well.

D X Butler
January 9th, 2019 DETAILS

Months ago someone from your firm said they would send someone to check our system. No contact since

Magnolia Marlborough Project
January 9th, 2019 DETAILS

Up to now they have not completed the Project after more than 4 months since we signed up

Doug Smith
January 9th, 2019 DETAILS

Very informative. efficient and trustworthy.

Chris Nolan
January 9th, 2019 DETAILS

Every dealings I've had from the initial sale, install, and over the phone conversations have been extremly professional and everyone has done everything they have pormised!

Ken
January 8th, 2019 Hopewell Junction, NY DETAILS

They installed our panels, went bankrupt and told their customers no monitoring or warranty. Now they are back in business and say it's a merger with another company and they don't have anything with past customer based services. This happened within the past 2 years. Check it out.

Mike
January 8th, 2019 Trenton, NJ

Alex was very patient and informative. He went over all the information multiple times until we were both certain I understood everything.

Dennis Kuehl
January 8th, 2019 Napa, CA

Alex from Sungevity was very nice, professional, and explained their proposal in detail. We will be having a phone appt. very soon to go over further details of a contract. Haven't decided yet which company I will go with, although Sungevity is the most expensive. Price isn't always the deciding factor when choosing a home improvement contract, customer service is far more important, and so far I don't know about theirs.

Michael
January 8th, 2019 Millbrae, CA DETAILS

I chose Sungevity because they were number one out the Top ten on the internet. They were very fast at installing the panels. And everything is in working order. And I didn't have to put out a dime for the System for the install. They took care of everything.

Gary
January 4th, 2019 Murrieta, CA DETAILS

They were very punctual and took good care of me. They did exactly what they advertised.'

Heather
January 4th, 2019 Menifee, CA DETAILS

I started using Sungevity because I thought they had the best value. It is functioning well so far.

Adam
January 4th, 2019 DETAILS

They were very responsive and the installation process went great.

Mark
January 4th, 2019 DETAILS

I had difficulty contacting Sungevity a lot of the time but when I could, they were good.

Erik
January 4th, 2019 Hemet, CA DETAILS

The customer support kept me in the loop throughout the whole installation process. I had no leaks in the roof because the installation was so smooth. They finished everything in one day before the sun went down.

Joel
January 4th, 2019 Santa Rosa, CA DETAILS

I love how I am able to monitor the performance of each unit.

Oct 01, 2018

Hi Joel, Thank you for the amazing review. We work very hard to ensure we are providing the best experience in the industry and it makes our day when we get this kind of feedback. If there is anything we can ever do to make things even better, please just let us know! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Ruth
January 4th, 2019 Lake Elsinore, CA DETAILS

The salesperson was very professional. He was always on time, helpful, and nice.

Richard
January 4th, 2019 Mariposa, CA DETAILS

I got a great deal and the workers are very friendly. The panels work correctly.

Andres
January 4th, 2019 DETAILS

They were always responsive and tried to help me in any way possible.'

Carlos
January 4th, 2019 Madera, CA DETAILS

The salesman always knew everything. Whenever he missed my calls, he would get right back to me and answer my questions. The installation was fast.

Bruce R Henry
January 4th, 2019 DETAILS

They seem to have a tight feedback loop and have been on top of everything

Jackie
January 4th, 2019 Lake Elsinore, CA DETAILS

I had trouble getting in contact with the right people when I called and the solar panels overlap a little bit. We have full coverage on everything and the value is excellent.

sallie toscano
December 31st, 2018 Cranbury, NJ

THEY SUCK.... I never heard back from them. They were going to call me and let me know what they can do and never called back or emailed. I called and emailed a few times.

Raymond Kirby
December 30th, 2018 DETAILS

Very polite and professional. Ensured work area was net and clean when finished.

David
December 30th, 2018 DETAILS

We had some installation problems, but I am not sure they were Solar Spectrum's problem. So, it seemed to take a while to iron out all the little details with the power company and the city.

Jeff of Fallbrook
December 30th, 2018 DETAILS

They did everything they said they would do--on time with no hassles.

Wally
December 30th, 2018 DETAILS

Still early in the process. I found their proposal to be very sparse compared to other proposals. It took a lot of back I and forth to get all the details I needed. At first they were most expensive, but negotiated with them and they ended up lowest cost. There contract was very complicated and somewhat contradictory. Several emails to get written clarificationations before I would sign. They missed their appointment to inspect and measure how due to internalmiscommunicatio, but quickly corrected and kept next appointment. I rejected first design because panel layout was not what I requested. Another internal miscommunication. Waiting for corrected design. They use quality hardware. Are quick to respond to email and make correction. I have high expectations that final product will be great, but process is tedious. It is a good thing I am retired.