Sungevity

Sungevity Logo

8.9

Sungevity

verified
Biggest Customer Praise: Great Customer Service (See User Reviews Below)

**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to. We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top competitors in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful iQuote Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets. With Sungevity's loan, lease, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 25-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship. For customers who are looking for the plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers pay for the system upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful iQuote Tool

Sungevity's iQuote tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly. After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the iQuote tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function. iQuote can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option.

Customized Solar Solutions

Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar energy system to meet the needs and budget of the customer. Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of. The company provides a 25-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world. In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their system, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise Sungevity for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests. Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering doing business with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found. Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company can offer. Sungevity's website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following nine states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to go solar with Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a home solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary iQuote tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

4.1

Kevin Ram
April 19th, 2018 Newark, CA DETAILS

I am looking to get solar panels for my home as I'm getting a new roof. Originally i was going to lease the solar panels as I thought it would be too expensive for me to own but Doug Seck explained me that purchase is the way to go and how much I would be saving and the difference between owning and leasing and how solar panels work and everything. I am more knowledgeable about solar panels now. Thanks Doug for the information and your great service. It was a pleasure talking to you

Murielle Vilfort
April 18th, 2018

I worked with Brandon B. on my solar project. He was a pleasure to work with, was very thorough on his presentation and explains everything in lay terms so i can understand. I didn' feel rushed or pressured to install Solar. Infact he gave me time to think it through and called me back at an agreed upon time to check if i had any questions. The process is smooth and all automated which was great because with my busy schedule I don't have time to sit and chat with someone in my living room for 3 hours. Brandon and the project manager Steven was very good at keeping me up-to-date with the project transition and returned my calls timely. Now that my project has come to a completion I'm looking forward to some savings. I will definitely refer friends and family to Solar Spectrum, more specific Brandon, he is great, very knowledgeable and professional.

Martin Graffman
April 16th, 2018 Orange, CA

I am working with Jacob G. now. He is courteous, knowledgeable, and available. In short, I can recommend him to discuss your solar panel needs. Martin Graffman

bruce miller
April 12th, 2018 Murrieta, CA DETAILS

Dear Neighbor, My name is Bruce and I am your neighbor in Murrieta. I would love to tell you about an incredible opportunity that recently fell into my lap. Horizon Solar Power approached me about a new program that enabled me to install a $32,000 brand new solar energy system on my roof without putting any money down! I ask you to please take some time to review the following materials, and I guarantee it will be worth it big time. This is NOT a lease program or a purchase. It is simply an alternative to buying power from the utility company that requires $0 down to get started. In my case, this system took my average electric bill from $280/month to $162/month, saving me about $1400 annually on my electric bill. The best part is that it came with a free year of electricity and I have already received a check from Horizon for $1944 to cover the first 12 months of payments. I no longer have to worry about the extremely high bills in the summer time from running my air. The system was designed to offset the power I need during the times when I’m running my air conditioning. With this program my new cost of power is 14.8 cents/kwh compared to Edison who charges anywhere from 17-35 cents based on the standard tier-based billing system. All utilities in California will be switching to a time of use system in the near future. The new Edison time of use system currently has rates as high as 48 cents/kwh (and of course this is during the hottest time of day) depending on which plan you are put into. My new solar system helps me avoid ALL of this! This solar program includes all maintenance, monitoring, insurance, and production guarantees at no additional cost. Please remember this is not a lease or purchase. It is called a P.P.A. (power purchase agreement). There are no burdensome liens on your property and it has no debt to income effect on your credit report. If you move, the incoming homeowner is guaranteed to qualify to assume the same electric savings. With a reduced electric bill, the home buyer will be afforded the chance to potentially buy more house for their money. THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!!! My initial consultation with Ryan was on 3/5/18 and my brand new solar system was installed on 3/12/18. All inspections were completed and I was granted PTO (permission to operate) on 3/28/18. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact them. Sincerely, Bruce

Rodolfo Vasquez
April 10th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA

Unfortunately we didn’t close a deal with spectrum solar but, can tell you this, Jacob the sales guy is the best. I felt very please with his knowledge about the process of getting solar panels, his very friendly and you don’t feel any pressure on making any decisions with out been complete sure of everything in regards of how buying, leasing, tax credits and much more. I do believe the do excellent job. I’ll keep his phone handy for the future and to recommend it to my family and friends. If you need solar system install in house please call spectrum with out hesitation and ask for Jacob. He is the best.

April 9th, 2018 Woodland, CA DETAILS

I like the way they answered my questions and made comments

Jerry
April 9th, 2018 Ridgewood, NY DETAILS

My inquiry was taken seriously enough and I have not received reply in writing

Val
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

The representative, Robert L. was professional and nice.

Jim trezza
April 9th, 2018 Roseville, CA DETAILS

Good rates, good equipment, fast and courteous response

Herndon family
April 4th, 2018 Winchester, CA DETAILS

We've been avoiding getting solar for a long time, and all of the companies we've talked to so far had not been able to convince us that it was worth it, but Ryan and everyone else who we spoke to at Horizon was very professional and personable and knowledgeable. They treated us like intelligent people, and they went above and beyond to help us get something that works for us, no matter how odd our requests were. We got the feeling that they actually like what they do, and they believe in customer service. We are already recommending them to our family and friends. The app and billing process make things even easier.

Daniel
April 2nd, 2018 Rancho Cucamonga, CA DETAILS

everything was great , it was a great experience.

Jeff M
April 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

Edward N., the sales rep I worked with, was very helpful. Edward displayed patience and a desire to answer my questions. His explanations were clear and detailed. He has a good understanding of his product.

Mike
April 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

Rep informative, low pressure, knowledgable

Paul
April 2nd, 2018 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

They don't service our area, but he allowed me to ask him numerous question about what to look for and what to be aware of. He was polite and gave us informed, accurate information

San Jose California customer
April 2nd, 2018 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Referrals were pretty convincing. Good salemenship.

Agnes McCoy
April 2nd, 2018 Windsor Mill, MD

Doug gave me an honest assessment. We discussed placement of the panels, whether my house was a good candidate for solar, financing, and other ways to reduce my utility bills. It was was obvious after checking out several other solar companies that an effective service and customer satisfaction was more important to. Him than making a quick sale. When I am ready, he has my business.

David Quesne
April 2nd, 2018 Fall River, MA DETAILS

Absolutely horrible company. There is literally zero customer service. They don't pick up their phone, and they don't respond to service tickets. Their performance monitoring online software is dodgy to say the least. Avoid these clowns at _all_ costs -- there are far, far better alternatives.

Elliott Kaback
March 29th, 2018 Brooklyn, NY

The process of applying for solar energy is fairly complicated. Jacob clearly knows the procedure thoroughly, navigates it smoothly and personably, and makes the experience quite painless.

Tracy
March 29th, 2018 Helendale, CA

Everyone out in the field does a great job. Straight forward and on the ball. HOWEVER, the office workers are incompetent, dishonest, and communication is a joke. No one ever answers their phones in the office! Only one time out of the dozens of times I had to call them did someone answer the phones. Some of the girls pass the buck, others lie, and the customer service in that office is really nonexistent. HORRIBLE customer service in that office! If they would hire someone to ONLY answer phones and take messages, that would be a start. It is weird to call such a large business and never ALWAYS get a machine, which is usually ignore. The ironic thing is, when they wanted to get my installation going, they were calling me constantly! My system was just booted up today, so we'll see how it goes from here.

David Matanane
March 29th, 2018

I had an outstanding experience with Jacob at Solar Spectrum. He was extremely informative, professional, personable , responsive and transparent with the product, process and available options. Jacob is definitely a person of integrity representative of Solar Spectrum.

John Howell
March 28th, 2018 Mattituck, NY

I was contacted by Jacob from Solar Spectrum and even though I wasn’t able to purchase their product now, he was very informative and non pressuring and a pleasure to talk with

Rita Mobilia
March 28th, 2018 Cupertino, CA

Dorothee was very responsive and quickly provided me with quality information. She was helpful and understanding in our search for the best solution for us.

Rochiqneu Jones
March 28th, 2018 Victorville, CA DETAILS

JD M. was very professional and did a great job on my bird abatement a time my house. He was very courteous and had excellent customer service skills. He takes prides in his work. Kudos to JD M. Rochiqneu Jones

Excellent
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

They took the time to explain in detail their system and how it would benefit me.

Hobby Job
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Sales procedure is a hack job, they don't listen to the customer

Frank
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Solar Spectrum is one of the top solar companies, but I don't like the panel they are using.

Jeff
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

They have gone over everything, answered questions and always have had given us any information we need

Peiwen
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Sales representative - Scott did s great job explaining the system and being honest

Rich Pavuk
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

#1 the sales team is poorly trained. I asked what the manufacturers warranty was and the salesperson said 25 years but he did not know what it covered. So he put his manager on the phone and he pretended like he did not know what my question was. This company only sells the product and they only use sub contractors. I was not happy with how I was treated.

manuel
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Sented e-mail, still waiting to here from them.

Mike
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Never could get a consultation set up for the sale

Scott Gasparini
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Solar Adviser is very knowledgeable, professional and friendly.

Larry
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

They were very helpful and knowledgeable, gave me a great understanding of the way solar power works, and were very convenient in that they met with me on the phone and over the web simultaneously. The only thing that caused me to not use them as my solar provider was that they did not have the ability to lease the equipment to me with no money down. Their lease program was cheaper than buying, but you had to pay the lease up front, and then you had no payments for 20 years.

brandon blocker, eric evans
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

still in process of a contract but so far they keep me informed step by step

Salaam
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

If a phone call is going to take 45 min the salesman should warn you at the start. When I say at the start that I am looking into different companies the salesman should tell me at the end when I wont signup right then that I am not ready to go solar

no body conctact me, so names, need to find somebody I can trust
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

I ask for a quote, solar E. ask me for my info and still waiting, no call or emails

Rick
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Salesman called and told me about lease programs. I said I wasnot interested in leasing. He can you hold for a minute, I said sure. I waited for five minutes and he never came back on the phone. So I hung up. I assume he does not make as much comission on a purchase rather than a lease. Don't call me back!!!

John
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Just because so far in the process--not yet a contracted customer--they are handling everything just fine.

D roberts
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Because the rep, lied to me . He failed to tell me I would have to come up with a large sum of money in a few months

Donna Morgan
March 26th, 2018 La Mesa, CA

I found everything I needed to know in one concise and informative meeting - I appreciate the speed, efficiency and honesty I received from Jacob and would recommend Solar Spectrum to friends without hesitation.