Sungevity

verified

8.7

Sungevity

verified
Biggest Customer Praise: Great Customer Service (See User Reviews Below)

**In 2017, Solar Spectrum and Horizon Solar merged under the Sungevity family. In April 2018, both companies officially rebranded as Sungevity. To read more about the merger and rebrand, please click here.**

With so many solar energy companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That's why we've done the hard research—so you don't have to. We've weighed the pros and the cons and found Sungevity to be one of the top solar installers in the industry. Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Sungevity, as well as view Sungevity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Several Financing Options
  • Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool
  • Customized Solar Solutions
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • Informative Mobile App
  • Highly Rated Customer Service

Several Financing Options

Sungevity offers several solar financing options, which means that taking advantage of renewable energy and obtaining a home solar system through Sungevity is possible for customers of all budgets. With Sungevity's solar lease, loan, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 20-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship. For customers who are looking for the solar power plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright is probably the best option. Customers pay for the system upfront, but then they own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

Helpful Remote Solar Design Tool

Sungevity's proprietary Remote Solar Design tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly without having to crawl around on the roof. After answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the Remote Solar Design tool can view the roof of the customer's home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their house, and give them an accurate picture of how their solar panels will look and function. Remote Solar Design can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option the solar company offers.

Customized Solar Solutions

Unlike some other solar installers, Sungevity doesn't believe in cookie-cutter solar solutions. As a result, the company's professional advisors custom design every solar power system to meet the needs and budget of the customer. Sungevity uses sleek black-on-black solar panels and low-impact mounting hardware, and each of its solar energy systems is designed to accommodate multiple storage options and other functionalities, such as EV chargers, so customers can add those features now or in the future.

Lengthy Warranties

Sungevity offers a number of different warranties to ensure that its customers and their solar energy systems are taken care of. The solar company provides a 20-year equipment warranty, which covers the panels, inverter, and other equipment; a 25-year performance warranty, which guarantees a certain level of energy output; and a 20-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation.

Informative Mobile App

With the Sungevity mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Sungevity app allows them to track how much energy their solar panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world. In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their system, the Sungevity app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Highly Rated Customer Service

The Sungevity reviews on our site, which have been submitted by real customers, shed some light on the company's business practices and praise Sungevity for its customer service. Consumers are saying that Sungevity's customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests. Sungevity also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Considering doing business with Sungevity? Visit site.

The Bad

• Lack of Site Information
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Site Information

Sungevity has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found. Sungevity's FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company has to offer. Sungevity's website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Availability

Sungevity is currently only available in the following nine states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York. This limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to receive a solar installation from Sungevity.

The Bottom Line

Sungevity, which is one of the top installers in the solar industry, is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a rooftop solar system to look into. If you live in one of the states where the company services, its multiple financing options, proprietary Remote Solar Design tool, insightful Sungevity app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

4.1

Charlie
June 19th, 2018 San Francisco, CA DETAILS

Since the beginning of my relationship with Sungevity (3 or so years ago), they have gone bankrupt, merged, unmerged, and now are Sungevity again I guess. They do not reply to emails any more. The app is broken. The website is broken. I can't log into my dashboard any more. My lifetime warranty was dissolved after the first bankruptcy. Do not use this company. Go through an independent contractor and buy the parts yourself instead. They offer nothing except hassle.

Wolfgang
June 18th, 2018 Rancho Cucamonga, CA DETAILS

Dishonest sales person who promised a signing bonus and didn't deliver

Blake HazelriggJun 18, 2018

Hi Wolfgang, This type of feedback is what we always do our best to steer clear from. I truly am sorry to hear you had a rough experience and would love the opportunity to learn more details so we can make sure we learn from this and offer the best service in the industry as we move forward. If you would like to setup a call to discuss in further detail, please do not hesitate to reach out to me using my contact info below. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager 925.241.1531 [email protected]

Arun Paudel
June 12th, 2018 Gaithersburg, MD

Very good customer service! Knowledgeable representative!

Blake HazelriggJun 15, 2018

Hi Arun, Thank you for the wonderful review. We pride ourselves on the experience we provide and it is great to get this reaffirming feedback. Please let us know if there is any questions come up! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager 925.241.1531 [email protected]

Tom's de Fontana
June 8th, 2018 DETAILS

I know little about Solar Systems Everything was installed and went well but took a long time to finally start up.

Blake HazelriggJun 15, 2018

Hi Tom, Thank you for leaving us a positive review. Going solar is a large construction project with many moving pieces and parties involved. We always try to cross the finish line as quickly as possible but sometimes we do run into unforeseen delays. Thank you so much for your patience as we worked to install a beautiful system. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager 925.241.1531 [email protected]

Robert
June 8th, 2018 DETAILS

Dishonest sales tactics and poor responsiveness in upper leadership.

Blake HazelriggJun 15, 2018

Hi Robert, I am very sorry to hear you had a poor experience. If you would like to discuss this in further detail I would be happy to setup a time to talk with you. We always do our best to learn from this type of situation so we can do better in the future. Please reach out to me using my contact information listed below. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager 925.241.1531 [email protected]

Ned
June 8th, 2018 DETAILS

Things started out well, but then my project manager left/got fired and they have stopped returning my calls. I fully paid them in good faith and they have rewarded it with terrible customer service and a failure to deliver. I now have $21,000 of solar panels on my roof that are inactive because they have failed to start the interconnection application. Additionally, they began construction before my utility approved the build, which could have backfired in a very expensive and unfortunate way. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Blake HazelriggJun 12, 2018

Hi Ned, Sorry to hear that you have had a poor experience. I would love the opportunity to look into this for you and help get things back on the right track. Will you please reach out to me using my contact information listed below? I look forward to turning your experience around. Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager [email protected]

Julie
June 8th, 2018 DETAILS

They were very efficient. The only problem is I haven't gotten my permits back.

Blake HazelriggJun 15, 2018

Hi Julie, Thank you for the 5 star review! If you're still waiting on the permits I am happy to look into this for you with the team. Please just shoot me an email with the address where your system was installed and we will get this resolved for you. Thank you for choosing Sungevity! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager 925.241.1531 [email protected]

They are punctual as the Sun.
June 8th, 2018 DETAILS

I had observed from the beginning of installation and they are meticulous like new oiled machine.

Blake HazelriggJun 15, 2018

Hi There, We always love getting incredible feedback like this. Our team constantly works hard to improve our processes so we can provide as much ease in going solar as possible. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to help you out! Blake Hazelrigg Senior Manager 925.241.1531 [email protected]

No response
June 5th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Never heard from them after requested quote.

June 5th, 2018 Clovis, CA DETAILS

Spoke once. Emailed a few times. Haven't heard back from in weeks.

Resist Hard Sell
June 5th, 2018 Hayward, CA DETAILS

We were turned off by the insistent hard sell. Telling them it wouldn't work with us fell on deaf ears. Not to mention their proposal was the highest by $10,000 over any other.

ALEXANDER FOODS
June 5th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Time response courtesy and knowledge. Brent went on and beyond to get me the right insurance for the lowest cost and the coverage I needed. Also worked with third parties to send them the paperwork they requested. When I reached back out, the response was instant. Couldn't be happier.

Fernando Herrera
June 4th, 2018 DETAILS

JD was great.. nice and quick with his task... would recommend to anyone. Fernando H.

Chris sperry
June 4th, 2018 Fontana, CA DETAILS

JD , was extremely helpfull and curtios Mr. Sperry

Jerry Richards
June 4th, 2018 DETAILS

Absolutely no problems encountered with service or installation.

Donte Green
June 4th, 2018 DETAILS

Customer service I received was horrible.

Unknown
June 4th, 2018 DETAILS

Outstanding performances throughout the entire process

Portuguese
June 4th, 2018 DETAILS

Communion where bad, technicians had to return 4 times.

Mugsy
June 4th, 2018 DETAILS

Great value and no money down. I will recommend you when warrants.

Al
June 4th, 2018 Rancho Cucamonga, CA DETAILS

I’ve been working with Kristin B. for almost 3 years. She helped me go solar in 2015 and again in 2016 on a second home. She’s always been so lovely and professional. I’ve sent lots of referrals her way over the years as well and all of my friends are extremely happy as well. She delivers an incredible experience and really takes the time to listen and is never pushy or salesy. What I was most impressed with very recently is is called her for the first time in probably a year to give her another referral. I thought maybe she had forgot who I was due to the length of time that had passed and as soon as I said my name she was so excited and started asking me all kinds of questions about our two systems, she mentioned my wife and daughter by name and asked me to send her regards and just truly delivers a VIP experience every, single time. This woman is a major asset to this company and I hope she is treated as such!

Pamela Lyons
June 4th, 2018 Vallejo, CA DETAILS

I have had solar system for a year. I was informed last year that Sungevity had gone bankrupt and received a letter stating that. At the time of installation, it went smoothly and the workmen were great. When I called the company about my gift card was when I found out the company had gone bankrupt and was picked up by Sunrun who I have had no problem with. It was only after repeated phone calls to Sungevity that I got the information via mail they were in bankruptcy. Sunrun has been very good and always answer my questions. If someone is selling Sungevity they are using the name and is not the company you think it is. I also called one of the agents who sold the system to me and he too reinterated that the company had gone belly-up. STAY AWAY FROM SUNGEVITY.

J. Thompson
May 25th, 2018 DETAILS

I am seeing a difference in how my cost has gone down. My home is not heating up it much cooler with warm weather even though we only had a few hot days.

Parveen Bansiwal
May 25th, 2018 DETAILS

They need have live system monitoring rather that just he daily monitoring.

Steve T
May 25th, 2018 DETAILS

Good price, good work, kept me informed the whole way thru the process

pj
May 25th, 2018 DETAILS

On time, good service, great people. Love my new system

May 21st, 2018 DETAILS

I found him to be very impersonal. I'll contact was only over the phone. Price of kilowatt hour was much higher than competitors.

Greg
May 21st, 2018 Mission Viejo, CA DETAILS

Great service, easy sales tactics, great finance options

Steven Gastelum
May 17th, 2018 Hemet, CA DETAILS

I decided to get it after talking to the agent. They have terrible program management. It took 4 to 5 months to do the installation. Right now I'm waiting for everything to be transferred to California for me.

Brandon Elbell
May 17th, 2018 Murrieta, CA DETAILS

We went with them since they had the best deal. Installation was smooth and the equipment works. They are pretty responsive but sometimes they get a little confused.

Judy Rich
May 17th, 2018 Helendale, CA DETAILS

My sales rep, Robert, went over everything with me and convinced me of getting it. Everything was just wonderful. I signed up one day and two days later everything was installed. They are very attentive to everything I say and I have absolutely no problems with the equipment.

Joseph Munoz
May 17th, 2018 Calimesa, CA DETAILS

They have great customer service and their sales team. They're very professional and honest. They did a great job breaking down every concept and letting me know everything that I'd need to do. They broke down my monthly payments and didn't finish the sale until they were 100% sure I knew what I was getting. The sales rep was very helpful in giving me all the information I needed. I was very confident moving forward with it. The installation process was very smooth. The install crew showed up and were done a few hours later. Everything works great.

Krystal Armstrong
May 17th, 2018 Inglewood, CA DETAILS

The service was offered to me, so I got it. The installation went fine and I haven't had any problems with it.

Dean Hill
May 17th, 2018 Adelanto, CA DETAILS

I signed up because the salesman that came to my house was great. The installation went quickly and smoothly. I haven't had any problems with it.

John Norfleet
May 17th, 2018 Santa Clarita, CA

They were willing to work with me to get me the most kilowatt per hours they could. They're actually very friendly and helpful. During the installation they put the inverter in the wrong spot. They had to move that and patch the holes in the house but other than that it went smoothly. I'm satisfied with it.

Ralph Nazarian
May 17th, 2018 Canyon Country, CA DETAILS

I went with them because I was able to qualify for their program. They have very good people, very professional and they answer questions quickly. The equipment is doing pretty well and they installed it all in the back of my house so I don't have to look at it.

Randy
May 17th, 2018 Palmdale, CA DETAILS

I've been dabbling with it for a long time and they just had good timing. I got a mail or something where it said I would be able to get a new iPad or something of the sort which was really good. My experience with them wasn't all that great. It took a lot of time to get things done. One person from their office would call me and set something up and later another person would call me about the same thing. It was like, the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing, it was really weird. The installation was pretty good for the most part but we ended up being hassled by the city inspector. That wasn't necessarily their fault, the installers did everything up to code, but the city inspector had them come back and cut a hole in my wall just to take a closer look at a ground wire. He really gave me a hard time on one of the units too. They also tried getting in touch with me about one of the boxes they installed. After that Sungevity tried to get in touch with me because they didn't have the right serial number for something and they couldn't track it. So I went over and took a photo of it and sent it to them. I heard nothing for two weeks or so and then I got a call threatening me to cancel my warranty if I didn't take care of that. At that point it was all on them, they should've had the right serial numbers on record after the installation. After all that things are finally up and running and it all seems to be doing ok. Everything looks ok. It's not ugly or anything of the sort but it did cost me to get it all installed on the side of the house and then paint that to match the color of the house. Still, the installers were all over my front yard but they really cleaned up their mess for the most part. They did leave some stuff behind, a week later I was still picking up stuff. To this day I am still unable to track my solar production on their website. I don't know why, it just keeps giving me a blank excel spreadsheet. I suggested this to a few people but they're having problems with it too. I'm also still waiting on a $350 gift card that was promised to me.

Salvador Rodriguez
May 17th, 2018 Spring Valley, CA DETAILS

The sales person that stopped by and told me about solar power convinced me of going with Sungevity. I've never had any problems when I try to get a hold of anyone in their office. The installation was great, we had no problems. They just came in and did what they told me they would do. It was all on schedule. I've just been real happy with them.

Andrew Lugo
May 17th, 2018 Norco, CA DETAILS

I had high electricity bills so I went for it. I'm a contractor so I know what it takes to install these systems. That part of it went smoothly. They have also been very professional and respectful. I will take a couple more months before I really know how much it'll save me.

May 17th, 2018 Wildomar, CA DETAILS

I liked the options available and the price. They seem very dedicated to helping their customers. Everything seems to be working well.

Seth Herndon
May 17th, 2018 Winchester, CA DETAILS

We had talked to a few different companies that had come by the door but we liked their representative, Ryan. He was very easy to talk to and he never talked down to us. He just spoke with us as if we were intelligent humans. We liked the idea of getting the solar panels without having to buy them. Sungevity would take care of the maintenance and everything. We also wouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket at first and we would have a fixed rate for 20 years. They worked with us on the lay out of the roof since it was important for us to be able to use the roof for other things, especially because my husband is really into Christmas competitions. Installation was done in one day. They were all really polite and professional. They did forget to cover some of the repairs done on roof tiles and our work order for that got lost in the paperwork at some point, but they took care of that later on. We were always able to get a hold of someone anytime we called. Even when we texted them, we got responses on the spot or on the very same day. Everybody was really polite too.